WikiLeaks VIDEO Exposes 2007 'Collateral Murder' In Iraq [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WikiLeaks VIDEO Exposes 2007 'Collateral Murder' In Iraq

Chiseller
04-06-2010, 07:37 AM
NYT's article back in July 2007.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/world/middleeast/13iraq.html?_r=2

The leaked footage.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/wikileaks-exposes-video-o_n_525569.html

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Watched the whole video yesterday, absolutely amazing!

Bilbo
04-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Watched the whole video yesterday, absolutely amazing!

you don't seem to have understood the video or the whole story behind it. and btw this is no video game but it appears like one killing innocent people including two reporter (on purpose?).

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 10:57 AM
WTF? I know that, it's just shocking what I saw, as well as disturbing!

Bilbo
04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
why do you said amazing then. a bit strange to use that word.

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
True, wrong choice of word there :o

buddyholly
04-06-2010, 12:10 PM
True, wrong choice of word there :o

Don't back down. It was absolutely the right choice of word.

It is the Hollywood idiots that have hijacked the word to describe their amazing directors, their amazing cast, their amazing script, their amazing hairdresser, their amazing children, their amazing lives, their amazing dress designer, their amazing breakfast, their amazing fans, their amazing whatever, blah, blah, blah...........

Bilbo and your other critics listen to these babblers and think ''amazing'' means ''good,'' but it doesn't. It means, bewilder, astonish, dumbfound - and its origin is in the word ''maze.'' I am sure you used it perfectly correctly.

Nidhogg
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Very saddening, but equally sad is that this trigger-happy mentality from the soldiers is not too surprising.

Har-Tru
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Don't back down. It was absolutely the right choice of word.

It is the Hollywood idiots that have hijacked the word to describe their amazing directors, their amazing cast, their amazing script, their amazing hairdresser, their amazing children, their amazing lives, their amazing dress designer, their amazing breakfast, their amazing fans, their amazing whatever, blah, blah, blah...........

Bilbo and your other critics listen to these babblers and think ''amazing'' means ''good,'' but it doesn't. It means, bewilder, astonish, dumbfound - and its origin is in the word ''maze.'' I am sure you used it perfectly correctly.

This.

Amazing isn't a positive adjective per se.

RagingLamb
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
NYT's article back in July 2007.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/world/middleeast/13iraq.html?_r=2

The leaked footage.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/05/wikileaks-exposes-video-o_n_525569.html

From the second link:

"In the video, which Reuters has been asking to see since 2007, crew members can be heard celebrating their kills.

"Oh yeah, look at those dead bastards," says one crewman after multiple rounds of 30mm cannon fire left nearly a dozen bodies littering the street.

A crewman begs for permission to open fire on the van and its occupants, even though it has done nothing but stop to help the wounded: "Come on, let us shoot!" Two crewmen share a laugh when a Bradley fighting vehicle runs over one of the corpses."

Edit:

Also from that link:

"Just this morning, the New York Times confirmed a gruesome cover-up by U.S. forces in Afghanistan. Officials who had repeatedly denied reports by Jerome Starkey in the Times of London have now confirmed that American Special Operations soldiers slaughtered three women in a nighttime raid in February -- and actually dug bullets out of the bodies of the women as part of a cover-up. Starkey says U.S. and NATO forces are rarely held to account for the atrocities they commit."

Stensland
04-06-2010, 02:49 PM
i think this will be happening way more often once those unmanned aerial vehicles carry out the soldiers' tasks on the battlefield. the video's obviously just a bunch of dimwits playing war. trial them and lock'em up, period. the "playing war" thing in general is just at the beginning though. check out the drone operators' desks - it looks like big time arcade games all over again.

in contrast to pac man and the likes you're killing real people by pushing small buttons though. it rules out casualties on one end but ensures scandals like this one on the other.

btw i love wikileaks. fantastic idea. lots of stuff to digest for us conspiracy nuts. :D

RagingLamb
04-06-2010, 03:15 PM
I just watched the CNN bit on the piece, as well. Here's their description of it (from their site):

"New video shows a 2007 attack by a U.S. Apache helicopter that killed two journalists".

Wolf Blitzer called it 'the attack that killed a journalist and his driver'.

According to another reporter on CNN, The Pentagon has confirmed the authenticity of the video and says it's investigation found no one at fault.

I also loved the fact that they reminded the viewers that war is dangerous.

One word: Sickening (that goes for CNN as well). It makes you wonder how many other incidence such as this have occurred that have not (yet) been leaked.

I've read independent claims that the U.S. military deliberately does not keep a count of Iraqi civilian casualties (but do not know whether this is fact or not), but have heard estimates of upwards of 100,000.

Stensland
04-06-2010, 03:30 PM
One word: Sickening (that goes for CNN as well). It makes you wonder how many other incidence such as this have occurred that have not (yet) been leaked.

well, the "good thing", if you will, is the fact that these helicopters belonged to the u.s. army, so there is some sort of responsibility. since you mention the lack of a proper body count, here's an even more interesting fact: whenever you hear the term "contractor" in the news, like "3 american contractors killed in baghdad", 90% of those cases have nothing to do with craftsmen, urban planners, us-aid-members or anything like that. they're rather private militia like blackwater and other mercenary companies.

i'm fairly sure the u.s. forces ain't got shit on those soldiers in terms of (unaccounted for) cruelties.

Midnight Ninja
04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
and actually dug bullets out of the bodies of the women as part of a cover-up

:scared:

Even if you give the benefit of the doubt to the first shooting, I didn't see any reason why they had to fire on the people who were trying to help them. They weren't armed and weren't even seeking revenge.