How often will we see the French-Wimbledon double in coming years? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How often will we see the French-Wimbledon double in coming years?

Arakasi
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Traditionally, winning Roland Garros and Wimbledon back to back has been one of the hardest achievements in tennis which is what made Bjorn Borg's run from 78-80 so remarkable. But it occured to me the other day that perhaps with the homogenisation of the surfaces we might see the feat more and more. Nadal is testimony to the fact that the champion at Roland Garros will inevitably have enormous confidence coming into Wimbledon making a title run more likely even if the player isn't that suited to grass as a surface. In 2006 he was really inexperienced when it comes to grass but he still managed to make the final of Wimbledon. Although this is obviously partly due to his skill and preference for the natural surfaces, I think a large part of the reason for his success was the proximity of his French Open victory. In fact were it not for the incredibe stranglehold Nadal and Federer kept on Roland Garros and Wimbledon respectively for the past few years either one of them could have potentially matched Borg's 3 consecutive back to back titles at both venues.

I think the last two years might well be indicative of the future. It has only been in the last decade as the surfaces have become more and more similar that back to back titles have become more easily achievable, relatively speaking, and I think that Federer and Nadal's respective domination of clay and grass has disguised what might become a growing trend. Obviously there are few players who can even win two grand slams let alone consecutively but I think that many of the multi-slam champions of the future who win Roland Garros will carry their momentum through and win Wimbledon as well.

What do you guys think? I'm probably just stating the obvious because everyone knows that the surfaces have been homogenised but I hadn't really considered the implications for Borg's record. It's a shame if his achievement becomes diluted because of the recent changes. I wouldn't be suprised if we see the double completed several times in the next decade. At least Federer and Nadal are tennis greats imagine if Djokovic or Murray (no offense to them, they are good players but not worthy of being compared to Borg yet) achieved this.

DualMedia
04-05-2010, 11:39 PM
very little

Roamed
04-06-2010, 12:24 AM
Unless Federer or Nadal have another stellar summer, not until the next multi-surface 'legend' comes along, which probably won't be for a while. With the homogenization of the surfaces though I agree on paper it looks like it'll be less difficult.

M4RC
04-06-2010, 01:29 AM
As you've said Nadal and Federer are tennis greats. They're legends and hall-of-famers. Back-to-back FO and Wimbly is one of the hardest achievements in tennis. We have seen two of those amazing runs consucutively because of the greatness of the players that achieved it, not becasue it is easy by any means. You won't see anyone ouside of those two players achieve it in atleast one or two decades.

andy neyer
04-06-2010, 01:48 AM
It will happen more often than in the past but, like the other guys said, it won't be very often.

emotion
04-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Almost never. Fed might do it again, that's it. Maybe an outside shot to Muzzy

vn01
04-06-2010, 05:53 AM
Except for Federer and Nadal,maybe Nole in the next 3-4 years,but I don't believe it.I really hope Del Potro to win them both in a same year,but he is hopeless on grass,and Murray is hopeless on clay.So I say Nole,but the chance is very little

Action Jackson
04-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Not often.

BlueSwan
04-06-2010, 06:52 AM
I actually think that it will happen with at least some frequency. Not only are the surfaces becoming more alike, but it also becoming far more common for players to do about equally well on all surfaces. Furthermore RG and Wimbledon are so close to each other in the calendar that the winner of RG will still be riding on a high going into Wimbledon. Infact, I don't think Rafa would have done even remotely as well at Wimbledon 2006, 2007 and 2008 if Wimbledon and RG had been played several months apart. Rafa is very dependent on his confidence and after clay seasons where he dominates everyone, he takes that confidence into Wimbledon.

Arakasi
07-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Third time in a row. How many more to come?

NadalSharapova
07-04-2010, 09:31 PM
it will be quite often as long nadal is around

ys
07-04-2010, 09:40 PM
If Nadal is healthy, the only current player, I think, who can seriously threaten him at RG is Del Potro. All other guys who are good on the surface - Federer, Soderling, Berdych, Davydenko - worse than him, older than him, afraid of him. Of course, someone new might come around.
At Wimbledon, I think there is still a decent chance someone good and under-ranked player, serving big, catches him cold during the first week.
But , overall, if he is healthy, odds are, he'll do it again.

Sapeod
07-04-2010, 09:42 PM
it will be quite often as long nadal is around
No we won't.

We will not see this RG/Wim double very much in the coming years.

brent-o
07-04-2010, 10:30 PM
I actually think that it will happen with at least some frequency. Not only are the surfaces becoming more alike, but it also becoming far more common for players to do about equally well on all surfaces. Furthermore RG and Wimbledon are so close to each other in the calendar that the winner of RG will still be riding on a high going into Wimbledon. Infact, I don't think Rafa would have done even remotely as well at Wimbledon 2006, 2007 and 2008 if Wimbledon and RG had been played several months apart. Rafa is very dependent on his confidence and after clay seasons where he dominates everyone, he takes that confidence into Wimbledon.

That's a very good point. It makes me think back to 2008 when he went through a string of tournaments where he was so confidence that he literally looked unstoppable. Spacing out Wimbly and RO throughout the year probably would have made it more difficult for him.

Priam
07-05-2010, 04:16 AM
So is it still the most difficult double in tennis today?

Arakasi
07-05-2010, 05:34 AM
So is it still the most difficult double in tennis today?

Very interesting question. It's definitely the most prestigious double but I don't think it's anywhere near as difficult as it once was. Change in surfaces, racquets etc. makes it a lot easier in my mind. I'm not sure where it ranks compared to other doubles now.

rafa_maniac
07-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Statistically speaking the Oz Open-RG double is now the hardest in that it has been the longest since someone won both in the same year (Courier). Personally I think the RG-US Open double is probably the toughest now, who else besides Agassi in 99 has managed it in modern times?

Sophocles
07-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Not that often in the foreseeable future. Federer is in decline now & won't be winning another R.G. Nadal could do it again next year but after that, he's getting to the point of decline himself. Who else is really good on both clay & grass? Djokovic? Berdych?

Priam
07-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Statistically speaking the Oz Open-RG double is now the hardest in that it has been the longest since someone won both in the same year (Courier). Personally I think the RG-US Open double is probably the toughest now, who else besides Agassi in 99 has managed it in modern times?

Oz-RG -- Wilander (88), Courier (92)

RG-USO -- Lendl (86-87), Wilander (88), Agassi (99)

12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
2006/2007 both Federer and Nadal come close to doing it.

2008 Nadal achieves it.

2009 Federer achieves it.

2010 Nadal achieves it.

2011 Djokovic comes very close in many respects to doing it. Could easily do it next year.

I dont think we will see it every season, but certainly every 2nd season you can pretty much book it.

Do you think this has definately cheapened this historic double and made it no more impressive than any other slam combo double?

It used to be the most illustrious, but maybe now thats the AO/FO double. Lots of people have been close but no cigar with that one.