Nadal Should Skip Monte-Carlo [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Should Skip Monte-Carlo

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
It's not a mandatory event and Nadal will only have 11 days off before he starts playing his grueling schedule. I don't mind a Barcelona, Rome, and Madrid clay season. Not that overwhelming compared to having to play 3 weeks straight otherwise. The conditions are so slow in Monte-Carlo that it takes a lot out of the players I feel to win this event. But what he should do and what he does is 2 different things unfortunately.

M4RC
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Nadal won't skip Montecarlo. MC is one of his favourite tournaments of the season, just like RG, Barna or Wimbly, for example.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
He should skip Madrid;)

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
He should skip Madrid;)
3 weeks off before the French Open? Not a good idea.

Luinir
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
He should skip RG and Wimbledon.

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
He should skip RG and Wimbledon.
He practically did last year.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
3 weeks off before the French Open? Not a good idea.

Just like playing in High altitude isn't good for him:)

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Worked good for Federer. And I blame the knee injury for not doing well in RG. Not the altitude.

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
He should tank 1st round of Rome.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Worked good for Federer. And I blame the knee injury for not doing well in RG. Not the altitude.

We're talking about Rafa:scratch:Je wasn't keen on the conditions in madrid.

Luinir
04-05-2010, 07:07 PM

But he wouldn't, we know.

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe he won't be playing anywhere.

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 07:14 PM
But he wouldn't, we know.
It worked like a charm in 2008. ;)

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM

:lol:

Persimmon
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
He should.

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
:lol:

It's not funny :confused:

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM
montecarlo and rome is sufficient hitting for RG........anything more than that is unnecessary........

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:31 PM
It's not funny :confused:

It is for me:p

Horatio Caine
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Why? He doesn't need to play his R32 match until Wednesday, giving him 2 days off. At least that is some rest...

Monte Carlo is perfect for Rafa...no sense in skipping it. He should really be skipping Barcelona as it would guarantee him a week off, and it carries the smallest points weighting. But we know that he wouldn't consider it, so what is the point in discussing it...? ;)

Aaric
04-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Well he´s not gonna do that.
He might skip Madrid, but no Montecarlo-Rome or Barcelona

born_on_clay
04-05-2010, 10:13 PM
He shouldn't

It's his rebirth place

dusan1610
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I think to Rafa will play M. Carlo...

RagingLamb
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
That would be a terrible idea.

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
That would be a terrible idea.
I would rather Nadal be ready for RG than Monte-Carlo. These small tournaments don't mean much. You gotta peak for slams.

Corey Feldman
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
and pass the chance to slap around 5 opponents and have the title in the bag?

Sunset of Age
04-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I would rather Nadal be ready for RG than Monte-Carlo. These small tournaments don't mean much. You gotta peak for slams.

Small tournament? 1000 points for grabs? :scratch:
Rafa has always done very well over there, and it would do wonders for his confidence picking up that title over there again.
If anything, he should skip the Barcelona Mickey Mouse, but apparently he allows himself get ruled by some patriotic nonsense for this matter. I hope he finds his senses this year and skips it. :shrug:

centralviva
04-05-2010, 10:48 PM
I think Rafa should play as much as he should at the moment. I'm hoping for good things at MC he needs a tournament win asap really :tape:

Diprosalic
04-05-2010, 10:49 PM
he should skip 2010.

RagingLamb
04-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Nadal has always done well at Monte Carlo, so it would be a good confidence booster for him (which he desperately needs), and it would allow him to prepare for RG.

philosophicalarf
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Nadal could win Monte Carlo with a blindfold on.

He should find an excuse to skip Rome. 3 weeks straight was too much for him when he was fully fit (when he won all three he ran out of gas at the end of Hamburg/Madrid), no sense risking injury when his ranking isn't a concern now.

Sunset of Age
04-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Nadal could win Monte Carlo with a blindfold on.

If he's indeed okay, yes.

He should find an excuse to skip Rome. 3 weeks straight is just too much.

Rome is mandatory. Barcelona isn't.

rocketassist
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Monte Carlo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AMS Tiriac (mandatory or not, home event or not)

martinatreue
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
He should retire from tennis for good. Just kidding ;)

n8
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Nadal has a better record in MC than any other event (including Barcelona and Roland Garros). He should definitely play it.

M4RC
04-06-2010, 02:46 AM
Well he´s not gonna do that.

True.

He might skip Madrid, but no Montecarlo-Rome or Barcelona

Truer impossible.

Monte Carlo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AMS Tiriac (mandatory or not, home event or not)

This. MC is out of the discussion. And Nadal prefers Barcelona's crowd, conditions and atmosphere to Madrid, any time any day, and the difference between the amount of points gained in those two events won't ever change his preference for that matter.

philosophicalarf
04-06-2010, 03:02 AM
Rome is mandatory. Barcelona isn't.

Well, we all know there's zero chance of him skipping Barca. As for mandatory, there's no sanction - just needs to claim a sore whatever, and not turn up.

Topspin Forehand
04-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Playing 3 weeks in a row and then not playing 3 weeks leading into the French Open is not good scheduling. Nadal can't skip his home town and Rome and Madrid are mandatory. That leaves Monte-Carlo where he doesn't need to play. He can win all the events. It's a matter if he is fresh or not. It is better taking the 3 weeks off now than before RG.

LinkMage
04-06-2010, 04:08 AM

That would be the best news of the year. :D

rocketassist
04-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Playing 3 weeks in a row and then not playing 3 weeks leading into the French Open is not good scheduling. Nadal can't skip his home town and Rome and Madrid are mandatory. That leaves Monte-Carlo where he doesn't need to play. He can win all the events. It's a matter if he is fresh or not. It is better taking the 3 weeks off now than before RG.

And? I'm no Rafito fan at all but he's a traditionalist and I respect that and he should fuck Madrid off and stick two fingers to that mafia ****.

Start da Game
04-06-2010, 05:12 AM
i think he will once again play everything........he is defending full points at all of montecarlo, barcelona, rome and madrid almost.......that ranking thing is on his mind and he doesn't want to go in 4th or 5th at the french........

in that case, injury is the only solution........he should get injured in rome and recover 2 days after the madrid start........that's the only way nadal can have a sensible schedule........

Jimnik
04-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Why? He doesn't need to play his R32 match until Wednesday, giving him 2 days off. At least that is some rest...

I was only being half-serious. ;)

But seriously look at his results after he lost 1st round of Rome in 2008. Bagelled Federer at RG and invaded his territory in Hamburg and Wimby. :p

Frank Winkler
04-06-2010, 06:04 AM
he should play monte carlo rome and madrid that would always give him one week of for his gimpy knees to recuperate. It would also give him enough play court play for him to be in peek form for roland garros. Barcelona is just to much play in consecutive weeks. Oh well.

Action Jackson
04-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Madrid is not Mt.Everest, so the high altitude thing is nonsense, but he shouldn't play Madrid anyway.

Action Jackson
04-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Well, we all know there's zero chance of him skipping Barca. As for mandatory, there's no sanction - just needs to claim a sore whatever, and not turn up.

They won't fine him at all if he skipped it. The knee has flared up just before the withdrawal deadline and doesn't want to jeopardise his chances for RG, simple :p

Arkulari
04-06-2010, 07:15 AM
sans the Madrid players (Nando, Feli is from Toledo but again, that's pretty close), the rest of Spaniards don't like to play in Madrid, it has been shown in DC time and time again, that is not Bogotá, Johannesburg or La Paz, and I believe it has more to do with regionalistic feelings and the (admittedly crappy) clay quality than an issue with the altitude

Not to mention, the Mosquito WC issue has been kept in the Armada's collective memory, they so want to take down Tiriac a peg or two (Manolo is a great guy, but he's just the puppet behind the whole tournament and Tiriac is the one really taking the decisions and doing some very questionable things behind the curtains :o )

Puschkin
04-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I can't imagine Nadal skipping Monte Carlo, unless he is seriously injured. He has always done well there, the place is full of good memories for him, it is the ideal location to find back his game and his true self.

andy neyer
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
sans the Madrid players (Nando, Feli is from Toledo but again, that's pretty close), the rest of Spaniards don't like to play in Madrid, it has been shown in DC time and time again, that is not Bogotá, Johannesburg or La Paz, and I believe it has more to do with regionalistic feelings and the (admittedly crappy) clay quality than an issue with the altitude

Not to mention, the Mosquito WC issue has been kept in the Armada's collective memory, they so want to take down Tiriac a peg or two (Manolo is a great guy, but he's just the puppet behind the whole tournament and Tiriac is the one really taking the decisions and doing some very questionable things behind the curtains :o )

Could you elaborate on the 'regionalistic feelings' part please?

habibko
04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
vamos Rafa, you know better.

B.z.A.
04-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I hope that he skips MC masters but he unfortunately wont. It would be easy for him, unless there will be healthy Ivan in his side of the draw ;)

mashamaniac
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
It's imposibble that rafa skips MC, i believe it's better to skip barcelona and play all TMS events B4 RG... 500 points won't move rafa either back in #2 or out of top 3, so that's more realistic and logical!

oz_boz
04-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Shouldn't and won't.

madmax
04-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Nadull should skip tennis for good:yawn:

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Could you elaborate on the 'regionalistic feelings' part please?

Spain's politics are a difficult thing, the country is divided into "autonomic communities" due to the fact that there are vast differences between most of the regions (culture, language, etc) specially in the north, we Basques are pretty different from people that are from Madrid and Catalans/Valencians/Balearics are also different but closer to us than the Madrileños

And for and administrative division I'll quote Wikipedia:

The Spanish nation is organizationally composed in the form of called Estado de las Autonomías ("State of Autonomies"); it is one of the most decentralized countries in Europe, along with Switzerland, Germany and Belgium; for example, all Autonomous Communities have their own elected parliaments, governments, public administrations, budgets, and resources; therefore, health and education systems among others are managed regionally, besides, the Basque Country and Navarre also manage their own public finances based on foral provisions. In Catalonia and the Basque Country, a full fledged autonomous police corps replaces some of the State police functions (Mossos d'Esquadra and Ertzaintza).

The powerhouses of Spanish tennis are Madrid and Barcelona and there have been lots of friction between the two cities in every sport you can think of, since most of the Armada is Catalan speaking then they don't feel as comfortable in Madrid as they do in Barcelona or Valencia and aren't very happy about the management of the RFET (Real Federación Española de Tenis, Royal Tennis Federation of Spain) due to clowns like Muñoz and the influence of Tiriac and other non very "recommendable" people :o

M4RC
04-07-2010, 04:19 AM
Spain's politics are a difficult thing, the country is divided into "autonomic communities" due to the fact that there are vast differences between most of the regions (culture, language, etc) specially in the north, we Basques are pretty different from people that are from Madrid and Catalans/Valencians/Balearics are also different but closer to us than the Madrileños

And for and administrative division I'll quote Wikipedia:

The powerhouses of Spanish tennis are Madrid and Barcelona and there have been lots of friction between the two cities in every sport you can think of, since most of the Armada is Catalan speaking then they don't feel as comfortable in Madrid as they do in Barcelona or Valencia and aren't very happy about the management of the RFET (Real Federación Española de Tenis, Royal Tennis Federation of Spain) due to clowns like Muñoz and the influence of Tiriac and other non very "recommendable" people :o

This. And the football rivalry, too. Here in Spain football is more than the #1 sport, is a way of living. The "Barça (FC Barcelona) vs Madrid (Real Madrid)" duopoly invades the daily life in Spain.

PS. Messi, I love you :inlove: :devil:

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 04:30 AM
oh boy, the Derby is coming :devil: (I'm not a fan of either team but you can't call yourself Spanish if you don't watch that match :lol: )

Football and Basket rivalry, remember they are head to head in the ACB league as well :p

Mimi
04-07-2010, 04:48 AM
he should skip Madrid, the foolish rafa never learnt:rolleyes:

bhathiya9999
04-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Nadal backing his normal form thank god..

Halba
04-07-2010, 11:46 AM
he will play madrid as it is in home country. he has never done all 3 MS + barcelona in a row, never. he has skipped hamburg before and it paid great dividends - he was fresh enough to do well in RG and W.

his best effort is 2 MS+ barcelona + 1 hamburg final(in 2007) where he was dead tired in the final after a gruelling match with hewitt in SF

l_mac
04-07-2010, 11:55 AM
his best effort is 2 MS+ barcelona + 1 hamburg final(in 2007) where he was dead tired in the final after a gruelling match with hewitt in SF

He had the same results last year. Won MC, Barcelona, Rome, final of Madrid. On one leg.

MariaV
04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
he should skip Madrid, the foolish rafa never learnt:rolleyes:

Yes, I don't know why he's so stupid as not to skip Madrid altogether. :mad: But maybe he will.

thrust
04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I can't imagine Nadal skipping Monte Carlo, unless he is seriously injured. He has always done well there, the place is full of good memories for him, it is the ideal location to find back his game and his true self.

I AGREE! He should play Monte Carlo, Rome, Madird. Nothing else before the FO.

Persimmon
04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
He should skip Barcelona and Madrid. Otherwise he is a moron.

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
If physically possible Nadal will play all clay events, like he did in earlier years when he won 81-straight clay matches and 4 RG. Can we stop this useless discussion now?

He won't change his schedule unless he is seriously injured.

People on this site with their ad-hoc expertise know shit about what is good or bad for pro players.

CandaceParker
04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
http://siteground148.com/~mallorca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15134:toni-nadal-qrafa-ha-jugado-a-un-buen-nivelq&catid=16:tenis&Itemid=471

Injured again, after defeat?

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
http://siteground148.com/~mallorca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15134:toni-nadal-qrafa-ha-jugado-a-un-buen-nivelq&catid=16:tenis&Itemid=471

translation?

Johnny Groove
04-07-2010, 04:34 PM
translation?

According to google:

NADAL T. "Maybe we should CHANGE THE DIFFERENT TREATMENT"

The coach and Rafael Nadal's uncle, Toni Nadal, attended call Fora de Joc and appreciated the participation of the ward in the tournaments that were played at Indian Wells and Miami. The coach, who stayed in Mallorca, highly valued tennis displayed by Rafael, and regretted the loss in the semifinals two plays, "I think he has played at a high level, say the four-referring to Federer, Djokovic and Murray - has been the most regular. The pity was lost to Ljubicic where I think he lacks peace to win the game, and then Miami had a problem in his left knee that prevented him from playing at its highest level."

Asked about the sore knee, Toni Nadal said he does not think are very important, and on Wednesday attempted to train 100 100 "Our intention is brand new to stop on Wednesday and Thursday. On Friday we marched to Montecarlo. This stretch of the season is the one with less wear to the physical as they play on clay is less dramatic for the joints, but also the most important. "

Then Nadal coach did not rule out changing the treatment to prevent injuries to their knees, if you are, you are playing during this season. Finally, Toni Nadal said that equality in tennis is growing and showing of this are the poor performance of Federer Djokovic and Murray this past week in the U.S., where none of the three agreed to the final rounds.

Johnny Groove
04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Anyone who speaks Spanish might find this video interesting.

Miss Arkulari? :p

http://ib3noticies.com/20100407_61616-rafa-nadal-es-a-punt.html

Everko
04-07-2010, 04:47 PM
No way, he will dominate at monte Carlo

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Anyone who speaks Spanish might find this video interesting.

Miss Arkulari? :p

http://ib3noticies.com/20100407_61616-rafa-nadal-es-a-punt.html

that's not Spanish, it is Mallorquin (Catalan)

as far as I understand, he's talking about the transition between hard court and clay, he's satisfied with the level he shown in IW and Miami, he says he has some pain in his knee but hopes to be 100% for clay and he doesn't want to talk about it

He's also going to use some kind of mouth protector? for his teeth issues since he's gritting them everytime he's hitting a ball and that hurts him

Hopefully someone who does speak Catalan well can really translate everything :)

and it's Mrs :p

Har-Tru
04-07-2010, 05:06 PM

as far as I understand, he's talking about the transition between hard court and clay, he's satisfied with the level he shown in IW and Miami, he says he has some pain in his knee but hopes to be 100% for clay and he doesn't want to talk about it

He's also going to use some kind of mouth protector? for his teeth issues since he's gritting them everytime he's hitting a ball and that hurts him

Hopefully someone who does speak Catalan well can really translate everything :)

I see you edited your post with my translation help. I want copyright monies! :p

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
vCash? :lol: (and thanks)

Rafa's accent is hard to understand, the "normal" Catalan isn't as thick as his accent is, I can understand some of the things he says but not everything

Corey Feldman
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
well done Catalonia for Barcelona in ch league semis

very bleak times for Spain - not getting a team of their own progressing in that comp since glory days of Dep La Caruna

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Mikey :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.mundialsudafrica.com/imagenes/mundial-sudafrica/xavi-hernandez-espa%C3%B1a.jpg

http://www.webfamosos.com/wp-content/uploads/n_puyol_carles_puyol_saforcada-9461.jpg

http://www.blaugranas.com/media/galeria/25/1/3/9/5/n_f_c_barcelona_pique-545931.jpg

http://www.blaugranas.com/media/galeria/25/5/2/2/3/o_f_c_barcelona_andres_iniesta-13225.jpg

:p :p :p :p

Har-Tru
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM
vCash? :lol: (and thanks)

Rafa's accent is hard to understand, the "normal" Catalan isn't as thick as his accent is, I can understand some of the things he says but not everything

As I told you, my first language is Catalan and I have trouble understanding him...

And I don't do vcash anymore. ;)

well done Catalonia for Barcelona in ch league semis

very bleak times for Spain - not getting a team of their own progressing in that comp since glory days of Dep La Caruna

Where is La Caruna?

rocketassist
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Coming from the Valencia region, how come Catalan is your language?

Everko
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
why did this thread turn into stupidity wars?

get back to nadal

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_language

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM

honestly i wouldn't give a flying f about miami and i am more concerned with how serious that problem is........so let's put aside that 'excuses accusation' for a while and try to gather more info on it........

his nonstop idiocy continues damaging his knees on a timely basis........many kept suggesting since february that he shouldn't play IW and miami........

it looks like once again he played when he hasn't yet recovered fully and as a result flared up that knee again........vamos rafa!

Har-Tru
04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Coming from the Valencia region, how come Catalan is your language?

Catalan is not only spoken in Catalonia. It's also the historical language of two thirds of the Land of Valencia, the Balearic Islands, the state of Andorra (where it is the only official language), parts of western Aragon, the French department of Pyrenees Orientals and the city of Alghero in Sardinia, Italy.

Neither Nadal nor I are Catalan but we speak Catalan dialects: he speaks Mallorcan and I speak Valencian.

http://fil04.llull.cat/img/mapaeuropa.jpg

http://www.speekee.co.uk/images/catalan.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/Catalandialects.png/495px-Catalandialects.png

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 05:43 PM
it's not the same knee, now it is the other one, I guess due to the overcharge he had to put it on that one to avoid further injury in the first injured one :o

l_mac
04-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Does Beck live in Mallorca? I think I remember him training with Rafa before.

I really wish these interviews weren't posted on GM. :rolleyes:

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 05:56 PM
suicidal decision making........why keep playing in pain?

we have seen players lose due to loss of form, due to increase in competition, due to injuries.......now we have a player who keeps destroying himself and lose everything.......

l_mac
04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
suicidal decision making........why keep playing in pain?

we have seen players lose due to loss of form, due to increase in competition, due to injuries.......now we have a player who keeps destroying himself and lose everything.......

There isn't a player out there that doesn't play with some level of pain. Don't be daft.

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
There isn't a player out there that doesn't play with some level of pain. Don't be daft.

But not every problem has the same kind of seriousness to it. Nadal lost his RG and Wimbledon title last year because he overstressed his knees beforehand. Would worry me a bit that now, a year later, Nadal has knee issues right before the start of the most important time of the year.
If playing IW and Miami has in any way worsed the condition of his knees, he is a fool.

He should have skipped Miami if he felt any discomfort before hand.

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 06:12 PM

there also isn't a player out there who keeps destroying himself without any kind of commonsense in thought and action.......he had to skip indian wells & miami and you know it.......

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM
anything more than montecarlo and rome, he is in trouble for FO........

duong
04-07-2010, 06:15 PM

quite, but yet, I can mention that in today's interview, Tulasne, Giles Simon's coach, said that Nadal among other players played with the same kind of pain/injury which Simon has.

He said something like the fact that Simon has not enough muscles, prevents him from playing like those players.

And anyway they say over and over that resting is the only real cure for that problem (they wish he hadn't come back for US hardcourt spring season actually)

Persimmon
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Nadal should have skipped IW and Miami. But guess why he played them? Apparently his buddy Marc Lopez earned a lot of $$$$ by winning IW doubles. Maybe Rafa promised his buddies to help them make some cash.... He couldn't help Tomeu in Miami though... I can think of one word for the Rafa team: leeches....

Vida
04-07-2010, 06:19 PM
he really should not play the same amount of tennis he did last year.

l_mac
04-07-2010, 06:20 PM
But not every problem has the same kind of seriousness to it. Nadal lost his RG and Wimbledon title last year because he overstressed his knees beforehand. Would worry me a bit that now, a year later, Nadal has knee issues right before the start of the most important time of the year.
If playing IW and Miami has in any way worsed the condition of his knees, he is a fool.

He should have skipped Miami if he felt any discomfort before hand.
The pain started in Miami, if he is to be believed, in the last match he played. :shrug: there also isn't a player out there who keeps destroying himself without any kind of commonsense in thought and action.......he had to skip indian wells & miami and you know it.......

I don't know anything, and neither do you :shrug: He can't just skip MS events.

Persimmon
04-07-2010, 06:20 PM
anything more than montecarlo and rome, he is in trouble for FO........

Exactly. He just needs 2 tuneup before the FO. If he overplays it is :wavey: to the FO for him. And Rodge could possibly win the CYGS.

l_mac
04-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Does he say he has some pain? Or that he was in some discomfort during the Roddick match?

I think the latter.

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
And anyway they say over and over that resting is the only real cure for that problem (they wish he hadn't come back for US hardcourt spring season actually)

he had no business whatsoever in indian wells and miami........two brutal 10 day hardcourt events designed to fill the gap between AO and the clay season.......

after the AO, he had a golden chance to rest his knees for 2 1/2 months and end his knee miseries for a few months at least as the returning surface would be clay and there's no hardcourt tennis until august.......

people talk as if his playing style alone contributes to his miseries.......what actually the reason is this, total madness........

Persimmon
04-07-2010, 06:28 PM

he had no business whatsoever in indian wells and miami........two brutal 10 day hardcourt events designed to fill the gap between AO and the clay season.......

after the AO, he had a golden chance to rest his knees for 2 1/2 months and end his knee miseries for a few months at least as the returning surface would be clay and there's no hardcourt tennis until august.......

people talk as if his playing style alone contributes to his miseries.......what actually the reason is this, total madness........

Blame the stupid scheduling from the Nadal camp:o

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Exactly. He just needs 2 tuneup before the FO. If he overplays it is :wavey: to the FO for him. And Rodge could possibly win the CYGS.

it's best if can just do some hitting in montecarlo and sit aside until french open........enough tennis already with indian wells and miami........

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 06:37 PM
The pain started in Miami, if he is to be believed, in the last match he played. :shrug:

If that is indeed so, then his decision to play Miami was right IMO. I have some doubt about that, tough.

The knee issue keeps poping up so I doubt that they ever really felt 100 % recovered. Of course only Nadal knows the truth. It is his career and desicion to take. I have no right to judge him.

duong
04-07-2010, 06:39 PM
The knee issue keeps poping up so I doubt that they ever really felt 100 % recovered.

Simon "felt" 100% recovered even though there was a very tiny thing still visible. He said they should have waited until this very tiny thing is closed.

I hope Nadal takes more care :shrug:

But Tulasne also said that the fact that Simon doesn't have enough muscles makes the knee more fragile and prevented to get final cure with playing.

Nadal doesn't have this "muscles" problem.

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
it's best if can just do some hitting in montecarlo and sit aside until french open........enough tennis already with indian wells and miami........

don't be naive, tennis is his desire and life. he won't sit still for weeks while the others play on clay. That might help his knees but may destroy his mental health.

Like you said the smartest decision seemed to have been to cancel IW Miami and prepare well for clay.

l_mac
04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
edit: can't be bothered.

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 06:52 PM
don't be naive, tennis is his desire and life. he won't sit still for weeks while the others play on clay. That might help his knees but may destroy his mental health.

Like you said the smartest decision seemed to have been to cancel IW Miami and prepare well for clay.

it's clear that the damage is done.......if he wants FO, he should be content with montecarlo title.......

i am done with this "he knows better" bullshit.......i am sure now that i know better and so does every true nadal fan.......

tangerine_dream
04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Looks like everybody's skipping Monte Carlo. :bounce:

Dougie
04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
it's clear that the damage is done.......if he wants FO, he should be content with montecarlo title.......

i am done with this "he knows better" bullshit.......i am sure now that i know better and so does every true nadal fan.......

Nadal´s scheduling has once again been less than perfect, mut clay tourneys are the one thing he should not skip too much. Playing just MC is not enough preparation for the RG, he needs at least two tournaments, probably Rome and MC would be good. You have to remember he´s not the heavy favorite he was a couple of years ago, he needs the preparation almost like everyone else.

Eden
04-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Why hasn't Rafa or anyone of his team contacted you then so that you can advise him what is best for him?

Rafa never mentioned any problems with his knees during the tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami. (I don't really know if he said something about his knee in the presser after the Roddick match.) Instead he said over and over again in the last weeks that he was very pleased with his level of play this season so far.

Do you really think he could have the career you want to see him have if he would only play on clay and grass and don't play the other tournaments because it's bad for his body? He wouldn't have the topranking then which he has now.

As Linda has already mentioned in here other players also play with pain. Rafa is surely injury prone because of his playing style, but let's not forget that he is also already on the tour for a long time. It's only natural when health problems arise when you get older.

Noleta
04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
I'll laugh out loud when Rafa wins MC:rolls:

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Rafa WILL win MC, but that is not an indicator or whether he will win RG or not like it was in previous years ;)

ad-out
04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I can't imagine him not winning given how many other top players have dropped out! :shrug:

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Nadal´s scheduling has once again been less than perfect, mut clay tourneys are the one thing he should not skip too much. Playing just MC is not enough preparation for the RG, he needs at least two tournaments, probably Rome and MC would be good. You have to remember he´s not the heavy favorite he was a couple of years ago, he needs the preparation almost like everyone else.

agreed.. and not one point more than montecarlo and rome........but i think he will play everything once again.........

btw are you dougietoo from that other forum?

Eden
04-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Rafa WILL win MC, but that is not an indicator or whether he will win RG or not like it was in previous years ;)

Rafa is still the player to beat in a best of 5 sets match, no matter how many other clay tournaments he is going to win before.

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 07:35 PM
I agree with you Doris, but when Rafa wins MC, everyone will jump into his bandwagon again and say that he will win RG, Wimbledon and will go into a rampage for the rest of the season :shrug:

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Why hasn't Rafa or anyone of his team contacted you then so that you can advise him what is best for him?

Rafa never mentioned any problems with his knees during the tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami. (I don't really know if he said something about his knee in the presser after the Roddick match.) Instead he said over and over again in the last weeks that he was very pleased with his level of play this season so far.

Do you really think he could have the career you want to see him have if he would only play on clay and grass and don't play the other tournaments because it's bad for his body? He wouldn't have the topranking then which he has now.

As Linda has already mentioned in here other players also play with pain. Rafa is surely injury prone because of his playing style, but let's not forget that he is also already on the tour for a long time. It's only natural when health problems arise when you get older.

either that you missed the point or that you are acting like you missed it........

no one is asking him to skip everything outside clay and grass.......the question is - why keep playing in pain?

do you think all the people who kept suggesting him that he should skip IW and miami are idiots? health before anything.......

or is it just that you encourage nadal's headless schedule in hope of the mentally fragile federica having a feast without nadal around yet again?

jonathancrane
04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Nadull should skip his tennis career

Certinfy
04-07-2010, 07:42 PM
If Nadal doesn't play MC, the field is open for anyone to win it given the form of other top players :o

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
I agree with you Doris, but when Rafa wins MC, everyone will jump into his bandwagon again and say that he will win RG, Wimbledon and will go into a rampage for the rest of the season :shrug:

yeah and you will be mrs.objectivity and keep downplaying everything........

Certinfy
04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree with you Doris, but when Rafa wins MC, everyone will jump into his bandwagon again and say that he will win RG, Wimbledon and will go into a rampage for the rest of the season :shrug:Oh please :rolleyes:

Eden
04-07-2010, 07:49 PM
no one is asking him to skip everything outside clay and grass.......the question is - why keep playing in pain?

How do you know that he had pain in Indian Wells and Miami when he didn't said so?

do you think all the people who kept suggesting him that he should skip IW and miami are idiots? health before anything.......

Who are those people who suggested him that he should skip the tournaments? You have seen that he makes the decision to skip a tournament when he has to (Queens, Wimbledon, Dubai, Rotterdam...)

or is it just that you encourage nadal's headless schedule in hope of the mentally fragile federica having a feast without nadal around yet again?

Nice try to downgrade Roger's achievement from last year, but I'm not surprised to read this response from you.

By the way, I'm not a Rafa hater at all. He isn't amongst my favourite players on the tour, but I appreciate his achievements and always enjoyed it to see him playing live. I went to Rotterdam this year mainly because I wanted to see him again, but I understood it that he had to withdrew from the tournament. I don't know how long you are following tennis, but I'm a fan since the mid 80ies. A few of my favourite players struggled with injuries and had to retire quite early (Stich, Rafter) and as a huge Guga fan it was sad to see his career being overshadowed by his hip injury.

Dougie
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
agreed.. and not one point more than montecarlo and rome........but i think he will play everything once again.........

btw are you dougietoo from that other forum?

Nope, this is the only tennis forum I write in.

Arkulari
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm taking things with Rafa tournament by tournament, predicting something in a long term is a wild guess due to the fact that his body is failing him when you least think it will :sad:

Start da Game
04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
How do you know that he had pain in Indian Wells and Miami when he didn't said so?

he did not say last year as well.......he shot his knee by going to rotterdam and played indian wells and miami in pain without recovering fully.......now this year it's obvious with his uncle's statement that he was in pain in miami........this is not an excuse, there's just no excuse for second time........the fans are more concerned with his health.......

Who are those people who suggested him that he should skip the tournaments? You have seen that he makes the decision to skip a tournament when he has to (Queens, Wimbledon, Dubai, Rotterdam...)

he skips tournaments only when the damage is already done.......the worry is, he is being reactive instead of being proactive.......

Eden
04-07-2010, 07:59 PM

Rafa's favourite status for the upcoming seasons won't be based on how he is going to perform in Monte Carlo. He dominated the clay season in the past years and his achievements in Wimbledon speak for itself as well. So it's based on the results from the last years that people expect a lot from him in the next tournaments.

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 08:20 PM

Do not bring Federer into this.

duong
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM

it seems that Toni Nadal said it, and I believe him more, as he controls his communication less than his nephew ;)

Eden
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
it seems that Toni Nadal said it, and I believe him more, as he controls his communication less than his nephew ;)

Thanks. I haven't read the comments from Uncle Toni.

Johnny Groove
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Thank you, Mrs. Nat. :p

I really wish these interviews weren't posted on GM. :rolleyes:

Why not?

You know everyone on MTF is infatuated with Nadal's knees.

l_mac
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Toni said he struggled physically in his last match against Roddick, not that he was in pain during Indian Wells and Miami :rolleyes:

You know everyone on MTF is infatuated with Nadal's knees.

I also know that 96% of MTF posters are ... special.

star
04-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks. I haven't read the comments from Uncle Toni.

see above

Corey Feldman
04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Nadull should skip his tennis careerare you a catalanian Jon?

jonathancrane
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
are you a catalanian Jon?

No, I'm spaniard ;)

Arkulari
04-08-2010, 04:26 AM
No, I'm spaniard ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_t9vSCExhL3Q/R-7ONSuhZPI/AAAAAAAACFI/s6ylIbLsixQ/s320/xxx.jpg

Spirit_fire
04-08-2010, 04:48 AM

:unsure: :eek: :spit: :lol: :haha: :haha: :haha:

None of us can "encourage" Nadal's "headless schedule". None of us are part of his team. So none of us have any influence over him or his decisions. Your delusions about you or anyone else having any sort of sway on Nadal are pretty pathetic. Your argument which involves discrediting any federer fan you disagree with by attaching some kind of motive to their views, or just taking little jibes at federer in topics which have nothing to do with him, are even more pathetic.

duong
04-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Toni said he struggled physically in his last match against Roddick, not that he was in pain during Indian Wells and Miami :rolleyes:

no not during all IW and Miami, but from Google translator, he said he had pain in his knee during Roddick's match, didn't he ? :shrug:

thrust
04-08-2010, 02:25 PM

I AGREE! I also think that the top players should not be required to play both IW and Miami. They should be able to choose one, or be assigned one or the other. If they choose to play both, fine. Better yet, change the schedule so that they are not held one just after the other.

Florida
04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
He is crazy not to play MC. With Delpo, SodaPop and Davy out, Fed not even interested in wasting time with this tourney, Murray a clay mug and Nole in questionable form (lost in translation between the old and new service motion and between two mentors with two different styles), this is his tourney to take. Uncle Toni is just being proactive bringing up the issue with his knee and a future excuse if it happens that he looses to a hot streaky player.... I just don't see that happening..... Do you?

andy neyer
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, in retrospect, I think playing MC was a sound decision. He hardly got tired there and probably gained tons of confidence, not to mention another MS title.

Vamos, clay court season.

Topspin Forehand
04-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I never had doubt Nadal wouldn't dominate. It's just 4 tournaments in 5 weeks is overplaying. He could do it since he is getting through matches quickly. Unlike last year where he had 3 tough battles with Djokovic.

ossie
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
i hope he gets an early exit in at least one of the 3 coming tournaments just for the sake of his knees. seriously rafa has a good chance to win rg and wimbledon this year he needs to stay healthy

Noleta
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
i hope he gets an early exit in at least one of the 3 coming tournaments just for the sake of his knees. seriously rafa has a good chance to win rg and wimbledon this year he needs to stay healthy

Madrid IMO.

born_on_clay
04-18-2010, 10:56 PM
He shouldn't

It's his rebirth place

quoting myself :wavey:

as I told you

Topspin Forehand
04-18-2010, 11:00 PM
quoting myself :wavey:

as I told you
I guess he can cite his knee as the reason to skip any tournament anyway. Madrid seems the least favorable conditions to him. Maybe that is the one to skip. I know that one point against Verdasco took a lot out of him and he looked concerned at 4-1 I believe.

born_on_clay
04-18-2010, 11:03 PM
I guess he can cite his knee as the reason to skip any tournament anyway. Madrid seems the least favorable conditions to him. Maybe that is the one to skip. I know that one point against Verdasco took a lot out of him and he looked concerned at 4-1 I believe.

I believe it depends on the results in Barca and Rome

Then he will decide whether to skip (read:tank in 3rd round) in Madrit

Topspin Forehand
04-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Well better yet. Skipping Barcelona. I knew he had to skip something. Can't play 3 weeks in a row without consequences.