Has Fed Taken a WC to Monte Carlo? - No. Not yet. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Fed Taken a WC to Monte Carlo? - No. Not yet.

l_mac
04-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Is Federer robbing a lower ranked player of their chance to earn enough prize money (even for a R1 loss) to help a lot with travel expenses etc for the second year in succession? Several Italian news sites are reporting this.

OTOH, Nole being seeded #1 for a clay tournament Rafa is playing rankles :D and this would take care of that.

rocketassist
04-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Faker should never be #1 for any tourney at TMS or above.

yesyesok
04-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Do you have a source, even if it is in Italian.

I do oh so hope he has.

FNT
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM
If he has, it's not of much importance, I guess.
"Playing half-assed at a non-Grand Slam near you"-tour 2010 continues.

elessar
04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
No news just speculation as of yet, but fingers crossed!

http://www.sportitalia.com/shownews.aspx?id=12128

l_mac
04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Do you have a source, even if it is in Italian.

I do oh so hope he has.

http://sportitalia.com/shownews.aspx?id=12128

Maybe it is a late April Fool. I'm sure even after he lost in Miami Fed said he wasn't playing until Rome. I doubt he would lie.

edit: Claire says it is just speculation :bigcry: :bigcry:
That means Nole will be seeded #1 :tears: Take it Fed, rob those pointless lower ranked players like some reversed Robin Hood :armed:

MariaV
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Maybe it is a late April Fool. I'm sure even after he lost in Miami Fed said he wasn't playing until Rome. I doubt he would lie.

That means Nole will be seeded #1 :tears: Take it Fed, rob those pointless lower ranked players like some reversed Robin Hood :armed:

Fed never lies. So he's not gonna play. :hug: :hug: That doesn't mean Rafa would win a tournament any time soon if ever. :awww:

duong
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM

the date is 4th of april then it's not April fool.

And they are affirmative For the second consecutive year Fed has requested and was granted a WC

BUT they are the only website saying that so far from what I know then well :shrug:

Anyway if he doesn't take any WC, there will be rumours until the end of the week for sure :rolleyes:

By the way, for those who don't know, Murray has already "robbed" a WC from Balleret or other :lol:

elessar
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM

Do not despair, Linda, I have my finger on the pulse, as they say in the business. I will keep you informed about any developments.

Roger hasn't made any announcements yet (appart from the Miami presser) and MC is gonna hold a WC for him until the last minute so there is still hope :hug:

l_mac
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
the date is 4th of april then it's not April fool.

That's why I said "late" April Fool :hug:

By the way, for those who don't know, Murray has already "robbed" a WC from Balleret or other :lol:

See how Fed sets these young players a bad example :mad:

scarecrows
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
hopefully he does
the Monte-Carlo fans will surely be happy to watch in action the best player the world has ever seen

yesyesok
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
WHile Federer is anti Robin Hooding a WC from a younger player, he is giving an intermediate player the chance to beat him, so it all evens out.

BlueSwan
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Well, it would definitely make sense. The one record he still needs is the weeks at #1 record and a decent Monte Carlo showing would go some way to ensure that the record is broken.

Amber Spyglass
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
WHile Federer is anti Robin Hooding a WC from a younger player, he is giving an intermediate player the chance to beat him, so it all evens out.

Exactly,I'd put my mortgage on it that even if Fed entered he wouldn't win,heck if Grand slams were best of three he wouldn't have half as many

@Linda, Novak is back with Vajda now so can you spare us Todd's ugly mug? Pretty please :angel:

shawshank
04-05-2010, 02:18 PM
We don't want you Federer in Monte Carlo!!!! Please don't go there!

samanosuke
04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Is Federer robbing a lower ranked player of their chance to earn enough prize money (even for a R1 loss) to help a lot with travel expenses etc for the second year in succession? Several Italian news sites are reporting this.

OTOH, Nole being seeded #1 for a clay tournament Rafa is playing rankles :D and this would take care of that.

:haha: Try to dig deeper

These "lower ranked" players which you were mentioned have enough money for two or three lifes . 7 650 euros for the defeat in the first round wouldn't save them

Certinfy
04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Djokovic as the No.1 Seed? Good for the game IMO.

elessar
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
We don't want you Federer in Monte Carlo!!!! Please don't go there!
Who's we?
I think the French have proven that they certainly want Roger there :sport:

Time Violation
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Who cares about the seed # anyway? Much good #1 seed is going to do to him if he drops out early :)

l_mac
04-05-2010, 02:29 PM
@Linda, Novak is back with Vajda now so can you spare us Todd's ugly mug? Pretty please :angel:

Todd is my hero :sobbing: I really think he I would have enjoyed what he brought to Nole's clay game :tears:

But, yeah, I'll be changing it later today anyway.

Vida
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Djokovic as the No.1 Seed? Good for the game IMO.

I concur.

ApproachShot
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Earlier I had a suspicion he might if he didn't defend his points from IW and Miami from last year. His press conference in Miami seemed to reaffirm the decision not to play Monte Carlo this time but I hope he changes his mind. Would really look forward to the possibility of a Federer/Nadal match like in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

MrChopin
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
hopefully he does
the Monte-Carlo fans will surely be happy to watch in action the best player the world has ever seen

He's also the current #1 on clay.

+1. Even the younger player that Fed would take a wild card from probably hopes Fed takes it just so that he can watch Fed take the court.

R.Federer
04-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Bad boy Fed, bad boy **wagging figger*

For good times---

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tmz.com/media/2010/04/0405_elin_woods_splash.jpg

elessar
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm hoping Roger didn't make his TMZ debut wearing that hideous outfit :tears:

Vida
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
who is that blonde chick? looks like rodick's gf.

Arkulari
04-05-2010, 03:15 PM
that is Elin Nordgren, Tiger Woods' wife; she had lunch in Miami with Roger, Mirka, the twins and her son Charlie, who got a tennis racket as a present from Rog ;)

tennis2tennis
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Roger confirmed on Swiss TV he won't be playing MC he said he'll instead play in Estoril, Portugal!

star
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Roger confirmed on Swiss TV he won't be playing MC he said he'll instead play in Estoril, Portugal!

Quite understandable.

prafull
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I think its Murray who got the wildcard

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20100405/Murray_makes_wildcard_entry_to_Monte_Carlo

l_mac
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I think its Murray who got the wildcard

http://www.tennistalk.com/en/news/20100405/Murray_makes_wildcard_entry_to_Monte_Carlo

There are 4 wildcards. Murray has got one, as has Gasquet.

timafi
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm hoping Roger plays;he needs match play:yeah:

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
He won't play MC. In Miami he said he was going to take a vacation because he "needed it".

Snoo Foo
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
There are 4 wildcards. Murray has got one

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/tsktsk.gif robbing a lower ranked player of his chance to earn enough prize money (even for a R1 loss) to help a lot with travel expenses http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/tsktsk.gif

scarecrows
04-05-2010, 05:46 PM
you are a muray fan, arent you l_mac?

Garson007
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
She's Scottish. :shrug:

l_mac
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/tsktsk.gif robbing a lower ranked player of his chance to earn enough prize money (even for a R1 loss) to help a lot with travel expenses http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc179/SnooFoo828/emoticon/tsktsk.gif

I already addressed this issue:

See how Fed sets these young players a bad example :mad:

:shrug:

doublebackhand
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
how come Murray didnt enter in the first place?

Snoo Foo
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM
he thought he would need time to rest up after winning IW & Miami back to back

scarecrows
04-05-2010, 06:01 PM

very bad decision from murray

Schu
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Good question - I really hate when players who could make the cut for a tournament use up wild cards spots. If they don't sign up by the time they should - then tough luck. I know tournament directors alwyas want the big names but that just defeats the spirit of the WC.

Abc Tennis
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM

'cause he hadn't decided back then if he was going to play MC or Barcelona.

Bobby
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
He won't play MC. In Miami he said he was going to take a vacation because he "needed it".

Why would he need a vacation? He's played only 5 or 6 matches after the AO and it's April now. And all the matches were a best of three matches. You can't be a semi-professional. He should plan his schedule and stick with it.

Ivanatis
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
:scratch:who or what is elessar?

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Why would he need a vacation? He's played only 5 or 6 matches after the AO and it's April now. And all the matches were a best of three matches. You can't be a semi-professional. He should plan his schedule and stick with it.

Don't blame the messenger :)

This is from Miami, after he beat Lapentti in R2:

Q. You don't play Monte Carlo, but you will play Estoril. It will be three tournaments a row Rome, Estoril, and Madrid. Any special reason for that?

ROGER FEDERER: I always look at the schedule, what's the best preparation for the French Open? What am I in the mood to do? What am I in the mood to play?
Monaco is not a mandatory event anymore. It gives us a bit of an option. Of course, there's a lot of points there to go get, but it's really early in the season.
It's too early for me, and I also want to have some vacation, you know, after a long trip here in the States so I'm really fresh for the long trip really from Rome until Wimbledon.

Bobby
04-05-2010, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=andy neyer;9786445]Don't blame the messenger :)

QUOTE]

Of course not, didn't mean it like that! :wavey: Just suprised about the vacation!

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I know. No worries :)
I was also a bit surprised about the vacation thing tbh but I guess I can understand it. He's a married man with 2 daughters and so i think it is understandable if tennis is no longer as important for him as it used to be. Not that he doesn't care about the sport anymore (he obviously does) but he might want to spend time with his family now.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 06:50 PM
When is the deadline guys?

ApproachShot
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
When is the deadline guys?

Deadline to enter passed a long time ago. I think the tournament director will reserve the last wildcard in case Federer might want to take it up until a day or two before the tournament starts.

elessar
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
The vacation comment was after the Lapentti match, when he probably expected to at least reach the QF.

He said during his post-Berdych choke presser that he needed to practice harder because his game wasn't where he wanted it to be and he practiced on clay the following day. Maybe he wants to do some intensive training like he did last year before Rome to make up for the time he lost with the lung infection, stranger things have happened.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Deadline to enter passed a long time ago. I think the tournament director will reserve the last wildcard in case Federer might want to take it up until a day or two before the tournament starts.

Ok thanks:)It'll be great if we have all the top 4 in the SF:D

l_mac
04-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Same for WC?

What?

duong
04-05-2010, 06:56 PM

exactly when people talk about "taking wild-cards out of other players" by doing what Murray did and what Fed might do, they forget that by doing that instead of directly entering, they also allow players who have a ranking at the limit edge like Michael Berrer, Carlos Moya or Florian Mayer at the moment to enter instead of a Balleret (who is not precisely a young player :lol: actually I don't remember Monte-Carlo giving a WC to a young player :lol: )

Berrer and Moya can thank them for entering directly instead of being in the alternates list ;)

Noleta
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
What?

Deadline:)But according to ApproachShot it's 2 days before the start of the tournament.

Roamed
Am I alone among Fed fans in not minding if he doesn't take a WC? :scratch: He has a better chance to fiddle his game back into shape after Miami with the longer break imho, plus he'll surely be practicing on clay too. He'll get enough match practice up to the French Open which is the real goal in those three weeks of play before. Doesn't exactly *need* the points either, for now at least. Main downer for me is that there's one less tournament where there's a chance that Federer and Nadal will play each other again :shrug:

elessar
TD Franulovic:
"For Roger, a surprise as in 2009 is not to be ruled out! We’ll be keeping Wild Cards for [him] until the last moment!"

:scratch:who or what is elessar?
:sport:

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:01 PM
exactly when people talk about "taking wild-cards out of other players" by doing what Murray did and what Fed might do, they forget that by doing that instead of directly entering, they also allow players who have a ranking at the limit edge like Michael Berrer, Carlos Moya or Florian Mayer at the moment to enter instead of a Balleret (who is not precisely a young player :lol: actually I don't remember Monte-Carlo giving a WC to a young player :lol: )

Berrer and Moya can thank them for entering directly instead of being in the alternates list ;)
I said "Lower ranked", not younger. The only people who have said "younger" players are Fed fans trying to justify his selfishness. Anyway, sounds like that Italian article was making up a hooha about nothing. The selfishness still stands, from last year :yeah:
Deadline:)But according to ApproachShot it's 2 days before the start of the tournament.

Yeah obviously it has to be decided before the draws are done.

duong
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I said "Lower ranked", not younger. The only people who have said "younger" players are Fed fans trying to justify his selfishness. Anyway, sounds like that Italian article was making up a hooha about nothing. The selfishness still stands, from last year :yeah:

Did you understand what I meant ?

Murray and Fed actually allowed Berrer and Moya to enter directly, by not entering directly themselves.

In the end the consequence of Murray's "bad behaviour" is that Berrer replaces Balleret or maybe Gulbis or one of this kind :shrug:

I know it's against "the spirit of WC" but it's good for a lower-ranked player, I mean Berrer :shrug:

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
So what are the odds of Roger playing MC?:lol:

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Did you understand what I meant ?

Yes. :confused: I was merely telling you that no-one ha really said anything about young players. You seemed to be making a point about that in your post also.

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:08 PM
So what are the odds of Roger playing MC?:lol:

I say: small edit, I mean I think there is a small chance, not that there are short odds.

tenisnews
04-05-2010, 07:11 PM
the italian article is not working anymore...http://www.sportitalia.com/shownews.aspx?id=12128

duong
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
the italian article is not working anymore...http://www.sportitalia.com/shownews.aspx?id=12128

they have still left this one :haha:

http://www.sportitalia.com/Brevi.aspx?id=17713

tenisnews
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
they have still left this one :haha:

http://www.sportitalia.com/Brevi.aspx?id=17713

yeah, its very short kkkk

Persimmon
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Tiger's wife is gorgeous.

decrepitude
04-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Re the "taking a wild card away from lower-ranked players" I agree with whoever said (Duong?) that it gives a chance to players just on the edge of direct entry instead, who would probably put up a better showing than random wild cards.

While it does seem a bit selfish in some respects, I think it is inevitable that it will happen often under the new rules. The penalties for withdrawing from a tournament that you have entered and then, because of going far in the tournaments immediately before, pulling out, are pretty harsh. So the top players, who are fairly sure of getting a wild card if they want one, are not going to enter a tournament if they are not absolutely sure they want to play there.

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Tiger's wife is gorgeous.

And still wasn't enough for him:p

tangerine_dream
04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Rafa-Nole clay matches. :hearts: :worship:

Corey Feldman
04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
so he should

We don't want you Federer in Monte Carlo!!!! Please don't go there!please stfu

B.z.A.
04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I like him but I hope he doesnt accept wildcard. I think that he wont win the tournament, and is really stupid for him to go there on just day or two. Also, he said that he wont accept wildcard so I dont know why do you trust to this untrusted web sites.

habibko
04-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Take it Fed, rob those pointless lower ranked players like some reversed Robin Hood :armed:

you know Nadal is fucked up when Linda's only hope lies in Federer.

on topic: I hope he does, why does he have to apply for a WC anyway? it's still early -___-

decrepitude
04-06-2010, 09:58 AM
on topic: I hope he does, why does he have to apply for a WC anyway? it's still early -___-

Hardly early, the tournament starts next week. He would need a wild card because it isn't a mandatory tournament and he didn't enter at the normal time.

andy neyer
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
FFS he ain't playing MC. He said it in Miami and then he repeated it for Swiss TV.

born_on_clay
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
honestly, I'd like Federer to take a WC :)

coffeenomore
04-06-2010, 11:55 AM
If Roger will play MC indeed I see the only logical explanation of it -- he wants Rafinito's perfeco losing streak to go on. He cares.:hearts:

Amber Spyglass
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
^^Fed has about as much chance of getting to the final of MC as Oli Rochus.Fed will only creak into form after 3 warm up tournies and 5 rounds at RG when he'll then land at the semis and miraculously find his game again

Fed isn't going to play MC,the only reason he took a wild card last year is because he wasn't entered into Estoril,so he thought he might be a bit underprepared come RG,he has entered Estoril this year so he has enough prep without MC

duong
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
^^Fed has about as much chance of getting to the final of MC as Oli Rochus.Fed will only creak into form after 3 warm up tournies and 5 rounds at RG when he'll then land at the semis and miraculously find his game again

Fed isn't going to play MC,the only reason he took a wild card last year is because he wasn't entered into Estoril,so he thought he might be a bit underprepared come RG,he has entered Estoril this year so he has enough prep without MC

last year it was more about Rolex imo ;)

But anyway, it seemed that this year, he had prepared it well with this sponsor and that they had accepted it.

The plan was clearly not playing it.

If ever there's a change it would only be because he lost so early in IW and Miami imo :shrug: hence didn't need any "rest" for that, could prepare very early on clay and also might be more motivated after such ugly defeats.

We will see : the plan is not playing it, but people can always change their mind, esp when they haven't performed as well as they had expected in recent tournaments.

Anyway if ever he comes, of course it would be utterly ambitious to expect him to reach the final as he did in the past :lol:

lazybear
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM

:shrug:

:D I don't like you, but i gotta give it to you, you're one funny chick. Win Estoril Roger! :rocker2:

l_mac
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
:D I don't like you, but i gotta give it to you, you're one funny chick. Win Estoril Roger! :rocker2:

What? Why?

scarecrows
04-06-2010, 01:56 PM
how can anyone not like her?

lazybear
04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
What? Why?

Does it really matter to you? It's because i'm shallow i guess. You hate Roger (in a mocking, cheeky way) and it just pisses me off. :D Which means you're doing your thing quite well, because i just laugh most of the hater's posts, except yours. Anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if you are the coolest person in the world, really, i just don't like your work here. :) Didn't mean to offend you in any way, and i would guess you weren't... Have a nice day. :wavey:

MrChopin
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
If you want Fed to play at the year's best 1000 level tournament, you can't call yourself a tennis fan.

l_mac
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
how can anyone not like her?
Like always it will be down to misundestanding.
Does it really matter to you? It's because i'm shallow i guess. You hate Roger (in a mocking, cheeky way) and it just pisses me off. :D Which means you're doing your thing quite well, because i just laugh most of the hater's posts, except yours. Anyway, i wouldn't be surprised if you are the coolest person in the world, really, i just don't like your work here. :) Didn't mean to offend you in any way, and i would guess you weren't... Have a nice day. :wavey:

I'm still not really grasping your reasons, but I bear no ill feeling toward you :hug:

Getta
04-06-2010, 04:28 PM
wonder why they can't mask their bias against razor sharp humour with a courteous smile.