How would prime Agassi do against today's Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How would prime Agassi do against today's Roddick?

FlavorNuts
04-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I love Agassi and dislike Roddick, but I think Agassi would lose.

Roddick's anticipation, lateral movement and defensive skill have improved a ton. Pounding crosscourt backhands wouldn't earn Agassi unforced errors anymore, as Roddick's backhand has become incredibly steady. As good as Agassi's return game was, Roddick's serving is better. I think Agassi would have to be hitting the down the line backhand very well to win this, and even then only in tiebreaks.

FlavorNuts
04-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Medium pace/bounce hardcourt.

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Are you kidding me? Agassi would have 20 GS if he was playing in this mug era and would probably own Roddick 20-0 in the h2h, if not more.

Just kidding... But seriously, I think Agassi would get the best of Roddick.

Serenidad
04-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Tour event 60 60. Slam 60 60 61.

Roddick is a f [dsfdugdiufg] cking clown.

oranges
04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
It was supposed to be Berdych's month to bandwagon, instead we get more of Roddick badwagoning :sad: Must be the only one-slam guy constantly compared to those close to double digit numbers. Apparently, there is no middle with him, he's either totally dismissed or put on par with the Agassi, Becker and the like

FlavorNuts
04-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Look at the match-up objectively. Agassi's game was based around hitting crosscourt backhands, either waiting for the error or hitting the surprise down the line. He didn't really have any other plays. Roddick would likely be handling his service games easily and junkballing Agassi into errors on his own service games.

oranges
04-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, makes you wonder how that clown ever won all four slams :cuckoo:

Forehander
04-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I believe it'll be 50-50, Agassi's fast paced game favours Roddick. He's doesn't have the game that can expose Roddick's weaknesses, as evident from their past encounters. Roddick is only most troubled by people who can pound top spins side to side (especiallly down the line) to expose his sloppy footwork. Nalbandian's baseline game is an absolute nightmare for Roddick.

This is the type of match you'll see when Agassi and Roddick play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbSRRDQF7YQ

And this is the type of match you'll see when Roddick and Nalbandian play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixMMTqENnM

Well and of course this is Federer vs Roddick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF_cyDb4Kns

FlavorNuts
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
You're letting Agassi's success cloud your judgment. He was no Federer.
His game was built around breaking down the opponent's backhand, a tactic that wouldn't work against today's Roddick.

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 10:08 AM
no contest........agassi with his infinitely superior groundgame and outright offense, would prove too much for roddick........baldy in 30s had little trouble in handling roddick and his serve.......

don't get carried away with roddick's little success in miami.......anyway it's good to see that stefanki turned roddick into a somewhat meaningful tennis player at last.......if only he could get mentally tougher in slams.......

oranges
04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
His game was built around breaking down the opponent's backhand, a tactic that wouldn't work against today's Roddick.

:rolleyes: But Roddick is a Sampras I assume.

This thread has already received far too much attention as far as I'm concerned. Happy bandwagoning :wavey:

Calidreth
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Roddick, seeing as how young Agassi wasn't that good. Now older Agassi is a different story, I'd still give it to Roddick though. Roddick is destined to follow Agassi's footsteps in how their careers get better as they get older.

LEGENDOFTENNIS
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
LOL at MTF, Roddick wins Miami and now hes being compared to legend such as Agassi. Come on, the guy absolutely SUCKS the French Open/Australian Open and is OK on the Usopen surface and his only surface which you can say he is actually a good player in on Wimbledon and still there are better players than him on that aswell.

Roddick is going to go missing till Queens now.

SetSampras
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
How is this even in question? Destroy Roddick with ease.. Hell past prime mid 30s Agassi holds a 5-1 h2h over Roddick. Some feel Roddick is a better more well rounded player today.. I will argue that and say he was better when he WASN'T as well rounded with the deadly serve FH combo attack because he was going more for broke. Roddick may be more well rounded but there are a handful of players even more well rounded thus why Roddick has never been able to get a slam outside that USO in 2003.. I still think Roddick was at his best under Gilbert. And Im sticking to it. I'll take Roddick 03-05 over 09-10 Roddick

How would Agassi do? Agassi is essentially better than Roddick on every surface.. So he would do fine. Agassi is too much to handle from the baseline and he is twice the player Roddick is.. So Roddick has a better chance with his hold form beating Agassi then his baseline pusher style today. Everything Roddick does from the baseline, Agassi can do much better. If it gets into a baseline rally, Roddick is knee deep in shit.

Roddick would be lucky to even get take a slam match to 5 sets early 90s, 95,99,00 Agassi on ANY surface. Bottom line.. Agassi is a nightmare matchup for Roddick just as Federer is. Agassi is the ultimate return of serve. And Roddick in a baseline bash contest with Agassi is a no-win situation unless its Meth-head Agassi

laurie-1
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
We have to put things into perspective. Roddick is a good player but he's not a great player, Stefanki has shown he's a good coach by getting Roddick to lose weight and bringing strategy to his game. But Rddick has too may limitations at grand slam level.

Also, in a big match where it really matters, more often than not the player with the natural talent comes through and Agassi is a ntural talent.

I would also point out one thing, Agassi played in 15 Major finals against the worlds best,thats up there with the very best of all time. Agassi likes pace and Roddick has never been the best if you return his serve back in play consistently.

Shirogane
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Their H2H would be a good indication. Just saying.

rocketassist
04-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Look at the match-up objectively. Agassi's game was based around hitting crosscourt backhands, either waiting for the error or hitting the surprise down the line. He didn't really have any other plays. Roddick would likely be handling his service games easily and junkballing Agassi into errors on his own service games.

:haha:

Shirogane
04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I second that ROFL and raise you an LMAO.

centralviva
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Andre all the way, once the rally got going Roddick would be on the back foot

Goldenoldie
04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Agassi superior in all respects except serve. Most of the time no contest.

Action Jackson
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Nothing like a bit of comedy.

Black Adam
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Roddick already played prime Agassi. Agassi was in his prime after th age of 29, FACT. I recon iF Andre had made it past Becker in his last tournament Roddick would be the guy who'd retired him. Overall i think the head to head would lean in Agassi's favour if they both played their best in the early noughties but the heavy balls used to day would make it another story.

rocketassist
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Roddick already played prime Agassi. Agassi was in his prime after th age of 29, FACT. I recon iF Andre had made it past Becker in his last tournament Roddick would be the guy who'd retired him. Overall i think the head to head would lean in Agassi's favour if they both played their best in the early noughties but the heavy balls used to day would make it another story.

Of course, Andre could barely move or walk, yet he was probably one point away from winning when he had set point in the fourth against a guy proven since then as a notorious choker.

He would have been beaten with ease by Roddick.

SetSampras
04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
And AFTER Agassi turned turned 29.. he won 5 out of the 6 matches against Roddick. Agassi at an older age was a big time matchup issue for Roddick. A prime Agassi would be one even more so. When he was younger, faster, and more in his physical prime. If Roddick had not only tbe big serve and FH, but the speed and all around game than he would have been a matchup issue for Agassi. But roddick can't hang with Agassi duking it out from the baseline. You had to be a hell of an all around player to get the best of Andre. Roddick never was

Stephan
04-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Roddick has a chance, really... if Andre would play table-tennis...;)
but it is also very big question...:haha:
http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/aaagassi2.jpghttp://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/29392/andy_roddick_07.jpg

MalwareDie
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Good campaigning effort.

Roddickominator
04-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Agassi on every surface but grass...though obviously they would be close matches. Hard to beat Andy 6-2 6-3 unless you're Federer.

Agassi just takes the ball too early and would pound his backhand to death....leaving Roddick a step behind and off-balance. Roddick has definitely improved his pushing abilities, but Agassi is no Berdych...he'd be consistent enough to get the best of Andy.

heya
04-06-2010, 02:01 AM
He reached the Wimbedon & French Open finals with no big weapon except quickness.
Mal Washington & Chang beat him in 1996. The ATP cheating, manipulation & drug sniffing didn't help Agassi, while he plummeted to #144.
The Australian Opens were jokes, especially the 2003 one. Even Safin beat "wonderful Agassi" a year later.
Of course, ADick didn't fight & had no fitness & dignity.
He enjoyed the 2005 Davis Cup loss with Agassi. The Roddicks aren't exactly living in truth.
ADick thinks Agassi's "biggest stardom", money & friendship could sweep Agassi's lies/weaknesses under the rug. Funny how Agassi wants to inspire us with his 'story'.

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-06-2010, 03:02 AM
He reached the Wimbedon & French Open finals with no big weapon except quickness.
Mal Washington & Chang beat him in 1996. The ATP cheating, manipulation & drug sniffing didn't help Agassi, while he plummeted to #144.
The Australian Opens were jokes, especially the 2003 one. Even Safin beat "wonderful Agassi" a year later.
Of course, ADick didn't fight & had no fitness & dignity.
He enjoyed the 2005 Davis Cup loss with Agassi. The Roddicks aren't exactly living in truth.
ADick thinks Agassi's "biggest stardom", money & friendship could sweep Agassi's lies/weaknesses under the rug. Funny how Agassi wants to inspire us with his 'story'.

:haha:

Haelfix
04-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Agassi is a bad matchup for Andy. I'd give the nod to Andre.

Geo
04-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Agassi would win nearly every match :lol: :shrug: :yawn:

Jimnik
04-06-2010, 04:03 AM
Medium pace/bounce hardcourt.
Agassi was one of the greatest slow-medium hard court players of all time. 4 AO and a remarkable 6 Miami titles. Maybe if Andy produces similar results to Andre (when he was 29) there might be a case.

This also begs the question, when was prime Agassi? 1995 or 1999? If based on slam results it's obviously the latter but competition was weaker.

It was supposed to be Berdych's month to bandwagon, instead we get more of Roddick badwagoning :sad: Must be the only one-slam guy constantly compared to those close to double digit numbers. Apparently, there is no middle with him, he's either totally dismissed or put on par with the Agassi, Becker and the like
Bandwagoning? Certainly not in this thread. Even the OP hates Roddick.

Agassi is a bad matchup for Andy. I'd give the nod to Andre.
He'd win because he's the superior player but I don't see why he's a bad match-up. Never had the BH slice and defensive skills of a Federer, Haas or Murray. He was more like a Davydenko type player which Andy does well against.

Jimnik
04-06-2010, 04:06 AM
You'd expect Andy to have the edge on grass and maybe 50-50 on fast hard courts but Andre has a huge advantage everywhere else.

-Valhalla-
04-06-2010, 04:30 AM
but I think Agassi would lose.

I believe it'll be 50-50

Is this a joke? ... Are you guys serious?

On a medium pace HC, Agassi-prime would MOP THE FLOOR with Roddick-present. His return-of-serve [one of the ALL-TIME greats] would completely neutralize Roddick's serve, leaving him impotent and struggling to hold. He'd finish him off by PUNISHING him from the baseline with his vastly superior, and far more aggressive and accurate groundstrokes.

This is a no contest IMO ...

Agassi-prime > > > Roddick-present.

-Valhalla-
04-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Agassi was one of the greatest slow-medium hard court players of all time.

No question about it.

General Suburbia
04-06-2010, 04:58 AM
People are overestimating Agassi's return of serve. It was flashy, but he definitely guessed a lot when returning. He also tended to go for too much on the return, causing a lot of misses.

martinatreue
04-06-2010, 05:15 AM
People are overestimating Agassi's return of serve. It was flashy, but he definitely guessed a lot when returning. He also tended to go for too much on the return, causing a lot of misses.

This. His return of serve has become mythical. It was not the best.. it was very aggresssive but often very inconsistent.

-Valhalla-
04-06-2010, 05:30 AM

This. His return of serve has become mythical. It was not the best.. it was very aggresssive but often very inconsistent.

How is it overrated? :scratch: Even his comtemporaries thru-out the '90s felt it was the best in the game and one of the greatest of all-time. The guy won Wimbledon in '92 [and final in '99] against big banging S&V'ers with that return of serve, so I don't see how it's overrated.

Who would you guys list as having a better RoS?

guga2120
04-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Agassi would win nearly every match :lol: :shrug: :yawn:

This.

This is not something that is very debatable.

Haelfix
04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
He'd win because he's the superior player but I don't see why he's a bad match-up. Never had the BH slice and defensive skills of a Federer, Haas or Murray. He was more like a Davydenko type player which Andy does well against.

His return in particular is better than Davydenko's, and as we all know Andy has problems with good returners (Fed, Murray etc). Now you might say he has more of a problem with defensive returners as opposed to offensive ones, but well thats a technicality.

Shirogane
04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Seriously though, I do think prime Roddick would have a slight edge over Andre on fast grass, that is if he has a fine serving day and keeps hitting his spots with his first delivery.

Lopez
04-06-2010, 12:19 PM
How is it overrated? :scratch: Even his comtemporaries thru-out the '90s felt it was the best in the game and one of the greatest of all-time. The guy won Wimbledon in '92 [and final in '99] against big banging S&V'ers with that return of serve, so I don't see how it's overrated.

Who would you guys list as having a better RoS?

Someone, I think it was philosoficarf, mentioned a stat that Andre was aced more than his contemporaries and that opponents tended to get more aces against Andre than against other players (like people get against Roddick nowadays). Maybe tells that he stood so close when returning that often he wouldn't have time to react if the serve didn't come where he expected it to.

Surely it was a great offensive weapon but naturally at the same time he didn't get that many balls in play (if we compare it to Murray for example).

oranges
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Someone, I think it was philosoficarf, mentioned a stat that Andre was aced more than his contemporaries and that opponents tended to get more aces against Andre than against other players (like people get against Roddick nowadays). Maybe tells that he stood so close when returning that often he wouldn't have time to react if the serve didn't come where he expected it to.

Surely it was a great offensive weapon but naturally at the same time he didn't get that many balls in play (if we compare it to Murray for example).

What does that stat even mean without overall return stats. If it were just about blocking ridiculous serves, Federer would probably top them all. Or if you want another spin, Murray can get aced more than him theoretically, and he 'd still have an overall better return. Agassi had one of the best aggressive returns ever, it's not debatable at all.

HattonWBA
04-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Agassi would win in straight sets

General Suburbia
04-06-2010, 06:49 PM
What does that stat even mean without overall return stats. If it were just about blocking ridiculous serves, Federer would probably top them all. Or if you want another spin, Murray can get aced more than him theoretically, and he 'd still have an overall better return. Agassi had one of the best aggressive returns ever, it's not debatable at all.
I think one of the bigger points to look at is the style of game played today. Agassi had a great aggressive return, but that was against server-volleyers who would easily put away the weak return. Agassi's return today wouldn't help him as much as it did in the 90's and early 00's because today's game is much more defense-oriented.

Ichiban1920
04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Prime Roddick would utterly destroy current Roddick.

Even prime Roddick back then had a 1-5 record against prime Agassi so the entire question has already been answered.

And yes, 2003-2004 was prime Roddick, not the moonballing/pusher mug Roddick of today.

oranges
04-06-2010, 07:04 PM
I think one of the bigger points to look at is the style of game played today. Agassi had a great aggressive return, but that was against server-volleyers who would easily put away the weak return. Agassi's return today wouldn't help him as much as it did in the 90's and early 00's because today's game is much more defense-oriented.

You'd think centuries have passed since his time. Aside from the fact that the argument itself doesn't hold water particularly well, the last time he played Roddick was 2004 Cincy and won. So where is the point of this discussion, any at all?

rocketassist
04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Prime Roddick played in 2003-05, not now.

Stephan
04-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I love Agassi and dislike Roddick, but I think Agassi would lose.

Roddick's anticipation, lateral movement and defensive skill have improved a ton. Pounding crosscourt backhands wouldn't earn Agassi unforced errors anymore, as Roddick's backhand has become incredibly steady. As good as Agassi's return game was, Roddick's serving is better. I think Agassi would have to be hitting the down the line backhand very well to win this, and even then only in tiebreaks.

Could you explain plz, why Agassi is choosen as Roddick's opponent? :)
Andy's stile is very athletic. Strongest tennis-parameter of Andy is his huge serve (250km/h):worship:

Yes, everybody know and can see, his play is basing mostly on his first serve. :)
You could better compare him with similar style players, such as Sampras, Ivo Karlovic, Pim-Pim, Mark Philipossis, Federer, etc.

And Andre has absolutely other (more technical) style of plyaing, base line based, with very precission ball placing, extremely high ball-reaction that helps him produce very good return....
Andre's play never was based on the serve, it was his weakest parameter (~190km/h)..
Yes, also, Andre's play did not depend on surface type, he could win all possible GSs.:)

Roddick has a chance, really... if Andre would play table-tennis...;)
but it is also very big question...:haha:
http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhollywood/aaagassi2.jpghttp://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/29392/andy_roddick_07.jpg

-Valhalla-
04-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Someone, I think it was philosoficarf, mentioned a stat that Andre was aced more than his contemporaries and that opponents tended to get more aces against Andre than against other players

Interesting. I'd like to see this stat. I'd also be curious to see if Andre's opponents tended to double-fault more against him as well.

But Murray doesn't have to deal with the quantity or quality of big servers that Agassi had to in the 90s. Plus, the slowing down of surfaces [esp. on grass and the lack of slick indoor carpets] makes this comparo somewhat unfair. Andre’s H2H record against the biggest servers of his day is impressive to say the least [Sampras excepted, but 14-20 vs. the GOAT before Fed isn't all too shabby] ...

10-4 vs. Becker [only 1 meeting on clay]
10-5 vs. Rafter [1 "]
6-0 vs. Stich [1 "]
6-3 vs. Edberg [1 "]
6-2 vs. Scud [0 "]
4-3 vs. Goran [0 "]
4-3 vs. Krajicek [0 "]

And for me, he had all the necessary ingredients of a GREAT RoS ...

1. Stayed close to the baseline.
2. Took the ball early/on the rise.
3. Good hip turn.
4. Nice, short backswing.
5. Amazing vision and great anticipation [along with cat-like reflexes.]
6. No weakness off either wing – he could crack clean winners off both sides.

rocketassist
04-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Interesting. I'd like to see this stat. I'd also be curious to see if Andre's opponents tended to double-fault more against him as well.

But Murray doesn't have to deal with the quantity or quality of big servers that Agassi had to in the 90s. Plus, the slowing down of surfaces [esp. on grass and the lack of slick indoor carpets] makes this comparo somewhat unfair. Andre’s H2H record against the biggest servers of his day is impressive to say the least [Sampras excepted, but 14-20 vs. the GOAT before Fed isn't all too shabby] ...

10-5 vs. Rafter [1 "]
6-0 vs. Stich [1 "]
6-3 vs. Edberg [1 "]
6-2 vs. Scud [0 "]
4-3 vs. Goran [0 "]
4-3 vs. Krajicek [0 "]

3. Good hip turn.

Well said- the courts are slow as ass these days xept for Cincinnati and the US Open, even if Murray would probably be a fine returner on fast grass/carpet, and Agassi had probably the GOAT ROS- he didn't always crack a winner off it, but he'd strike it back with interest.

Lopez
04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Yes, I think so too. I also think he would win this matchup easily. However, I merely addressed the notion that it's totally possible that Andre's return was overrated. Yes, return games won would be nice to see. Somewhere I saw the stat of 28% being low for Andre, if it were say 30% he would be around 10 at this point of the 2010 season. Best compare it to end of the year stats.

10-5 vs. Rafter [1 "]
6-0 vs. Stich [1 "]
6-3 vs. Edberg [1 "]
6-2 vs. Scud [0 "]
4-3 vs. Goran [0 "]
4-3 vs. Krajicek [0 "]

3. Good hip turn.

Yeah I don't disagree his return being great, especially if you look at aggressive returns. Just wanted to say the stat, since people on this board especially tend to look at the past with a slight bias ;)

lessthanjake
04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm fairly certain that Agassi would win this.

You dont really have to say Agassi is a better player to believe this either (though Agassi IS the better player). Roddick matches up badly against Agassi.

Roddick's biggest weakness is his mediocre footwork. Agassi thrived on tugging players around the court. This would expose Roddick's footwork greatly. Roddick's biggest strength is his serve. Now, Agassi did let his share of aces fly by him, but his return of serve was VERY good, and Roddick's serve would get partially neutralized (at least enough to give Agassi a decent number of break chances). Agassi's biggest strength was his ability to take time away from his opponents by taking the ball on the rise. Roddick would have a hard time with that because of his footwork again. Without time, Roddick's footwork would let him down a lot. Agassi's weaknesses include a serve that is attackable, but Roddick doesnt have an attacking return.

Roddick matches up badly against Agassi, so he would almost surely lose. Obviously, Roddick is good enough to beat Agassi some of the time, but the vast majority would go Agassi's way.

oz_boz
04-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Agassi at the end of his career already faced and beat prime Roddick, so this is a non-question.

Agassi's ROS was legendary, even though he let away a few aces to get the occasional winner ( Pim-Pim served 51 aces against him in AO I think). His h2h vs good servers are telling. Also, even if he was only around 30% points won on return, remeber that conditions during the 90's were faster (except for caly but that counts for a minority of the tournies) and rackets allowed less good returns.

General Suburbia
04-06-2010, 09:51 PM
You'd think centuries have passed since his time. Aside from the fact that the argument itself doesn't hold water particularly well, the last time he played Roddick was 2004 Cincy and won. So where is the point of this discussion, any at all?
Roddick played a very different game in 2004, including his serve. But I guess it all depends on what we mean by "prime" roddick (the 2003-04 one or the one closer to today).

To be honest, I still think Agassi would beat Roddick in most of the matches they'd play. I'm just saying his return of serve wouldn't be as effective as many people say it would be. A Murray or Federer type returner would cause a lot more problems for Andy.

Stephan
04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
there is very short funny video, with Andre and Andy at his best :)
watch it fans, it is really nice :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOj01O62NXE

http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/data/511/Andre_Roddicka.jpg
they say that Roddick is considering Andre as his Idol,
is it true?

Jimnik
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Prime Roddick would utterly destroy current Roddick.

Even prime Roddick back then had a 1-5 record against prime Agassi so the entire question has already been answered.

And yes, 2003-2004 was prime Roddick, not the moonballing/pusher mug Roddick of today.
Not really. Half those meetings were back in 2000-2002 when Andy was still a teenager and Andre was winning slams.

The 2003-04 meetings were much closer, almost 50-50 each match.

ssj100
04-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Are you kidding me? Agassi would have 20 GS if he was playing in this mug era and would probably own Roddick 20-0 in the h2h, if not more.

Yes, mug era for sure. Agassi would never lose to Roddick. Just shows how strong Sampras was.

straitup
04-07-2010, 05:47 AM
If Agassi was having a very off day, Roddick is definitely consistent enough to win pretty handily. But otherwise, it's all Agassi. Roddick would steal a couple just from his ability to hold serve and break into a couple of Andre's service games. If Andre's return is firing though, Roddick's going to struggle.

And to the guy who said Nalbandian is a horrible matchup for Roddick (on the first page): :o I haven't looked up what their head-to-head is currently, but in the youtube link you posted, it even says that Roddick had a 3-2 lead in the head-to-head at that point.

Ichiban1920
04-07-2010, 06:51 AM
And to the guy who said Nalbandian is a horrible matchup for Roddick (on the first page): :o I haven't looked up what their head-to-head is currently, but in the youtube link you posted, it even says that Roddick had a 3-2 lead in the head-to-head at that point.

Nalbandian is a horrible matchup against current Roddick, just like prime Agassi would've been a bad matchup against current Roddick. All Roddick was doing in that 2006 clip was pushing, letting Nalbandian hit Roddick off the court, which is basically what he does now anyway.

Mike473
04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Another reason why it is so hard to compare decades, not to mention eras. I have often wondered how Agassi's earlier career would have played out if all the tournamants were played on the courts they are today, instead of the very fast courts of the 1990's. Agassi is levels above Arod tho, no question about that.

Forehander
04-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I look forward to the improvement of cloning technology in the future. That way we can settle out the mug/strong era debate.

Shirogane
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
:lol:

LoveFifteen
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Agassi would smoke Roddick like he was meth! :o

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Agassi is the better player he would win the majority of matches. On the other hand it is dillusional to think that Agassi would dominate Roddick, Duck is a good player and would get some wins against Andre.

Certinfy
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Roddick would kill him!

Stephan
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Roddick would kill him!

kill him himself? :)
Roddick kill Roddick :haha:

this thread going to be very funny ...:angel:

there is very short funny video, with Andre and Andy at his best :)
watch it fans, it is really nice :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOj01O62NXE

http://www.menstennisforums.com/photos/data/511/Andre_Roddicka.jpg
they say that Roddick is considering Andre as his Idol,
is it true?

lukeozade0405
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I'd like to think that Roddick would win but if i'm totally honest with myself I reckon Agassi would come out on top in his prime.

SetSampras
04-08-2010, 01:13 AM

Roddick hardly has an all time great backhand. Its better than it used to be but certainly not some weapon Roddick could rely on against Andre attacking it. Agassi doesnt need to be Federer to dominate Roddick overrall. AGassi in his mid 30s was dominating Roddick. Younger Agassi would probably win 16 or 17 out of 20 matches against Roddick if you include all the surfaces. The only surface where Roddick would have a chance to steal a couple of is wimbledon. But under todays' slow ass grass, Agassi would be even more of a favorite than the grass of the 90s

heya
04-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Agassi played like his dad's slave boy. It took a toll. He couldn't move his wrist & hips without surgeries/drug injections.

Roddick was pure crap for 5 years, and never got physically fit & well-coached. His old coaches and family members weren't exactly expecting success & discipline. Imagine if he actually respected himself all these years.

In this weak tennis era, everyone can wish for Davydenko & Murray's Slam wins. Roddick can't care less, no matter what anyone thinks.

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Agassi played like his dad's slave boy. It took a toll. He couldn't move his wrist & hips without surgeries/drug injections.

Roddick was pure crap for 5 years, and never got physically fit & well-coached. His old coaches and family members weren't exactly expecting success & discipline. Imagine if he actually respected himself all these years.

In this weak tennis era, everyone can wish for Davydenko & Murray's Slam wins. Roddick can't care less, no matter what anyone thinks.

:cuckoo: who are you talikng about at the start ? Agassi's brother?.