Who is the best coach among all the current ATP players' coaches? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the best coach among all the current ATP players' coaches?

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
vote and discuss........

alter ego
04-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Federer himself.

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
It's Toni. A Nadal fan should know...

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Federer himself.

Isn't the Swiss DC captain kind of like Federer's extra official coach?

alter ego
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
now ? yeah Luthi is "helping" Fed but for most of his golden years he was coachless.

vn01
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Lundgren

vn01
04-05-2010, 09:53 AM
And why not Stefanki

ApproachShot
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Surprised not to see Larry Stefanki (coached McEnroe, Kafelnikov, Roddick, Rios, Henman and Fernando Gonzalaz) or Tony Roche (coached Lendl, Rafter, Federer and Hewitt). Both would probably feature if I was asked to pick the top 3 coaches. Roger Rasheed (Hewitt and Monfils) is also absent from the list.

An interesting question though. On the face of it Lundgren would appear to be very successful having coached both Federer and Safin but they were already two extremely talented players who perhaps needed more 'mental' coaching. Moreover, Federer embarked on his extraordinary streak of dominance just as he parted with Lundgren.

I think Marian Vajda works well for Djokovic, same goes for Eduard Davydenko coaching his younger brother and of course Toni Nadal works well with his nephew. I'm not quite sure how they would fare with other players.

Miles Maclagan also seems to get on very well with Murray but I wonder if this particular partnership has exhausted all that it can offer. All credit to Maclagan for helping Murray to get to where he is but perhaps the style of tennis he is developing is inhibiting Murray from finding the extra gear that might take him to the top.

I would be very interested to see how Del Potro is able to develop in the next couple of years before passing judgement on Marcelo Gomez. Likewise I also look forward to seeing how Cilic's game matures under Bob Brett. Having said that, Brett is one of the most experienced in the business (worked with Becker, Medvedev, Ivanisevic and Ancic) and has a proven track record.

Finally I'd like to give some credit to Magnus Norman. Probably not the best coach out there, but he has done a great job with Soderling both in the physical and mental department and has allowed him to fully achieve his potential.

HKz
04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
the....best....coach....is....definitely.....not.. ..start...da....fail....

warm regards..

16 > 6

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
roach/ or Rasheed

Frooty_Bazooty
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
hate to have to be the one to say it but Brad Gilbert should really be in there as well

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
or killer cahill

duong
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
only experienced coaches who have coached several players should get a note as the hardest point is to be able to adapt several different players : only Brett and in a lesser extent Lundgren (maybe Gomez as I don't knoiw him :o ), are concerned in that list.

Stefanki would surely deserve a note :shrug:

With that list, this thread is nonsense imo

Kraxths
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
where is Stefanki...

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
where is Stefanki...

sorry, i thought i included stefanki.......how to edit a 'poll'?

Forehander
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
How the hell are we suppose to know we've never been coached by these guys before. Different coaches suits different players. We can only judge by how much they get paid. From observation we can only judge by results of players.

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
How the hell are we suppose to know we've never been coached by these guys before. Different coaches suits different players. We can only judge by how much they get paid. From observation we can only judge by results of players.

is that all you have to offer? look what stefanki did to roddick.......he worked earlier with gonzo and now roddick........since then both have become meaningful tennis players........

their results may not be as good as top players but they have improved as tennis players........

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM

ive seen most of the top pros get coaching atleast once

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 11:35 AM
mods, if it's possible to edit this poll, let's replace miles maclagan and eduard davydenko with larry stefanki and tony roach........

Sunset of Age
04-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Tony Roach :rolls:

The guy's name is Tony Roche. Just a minor difference, I know.

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 11:46 AM
ok......

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
can premium members edit their thread titles?

DanaKz
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Magnus!

RIboy
04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Canas

-Valhalla-
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
1. Stinkfanki
2. Brett
3. Gilbert

tyruk14
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Stefanki has turned Roddick into a contender for big titles. He was a factor at two of the slams last year. For that as well as his numerous other achievements he should be in the poll.

avocadoe
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Stefanki, is definitely a contender

Forehander
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
ive seen most of the top pros get coaching atleast once

what?

Arkulari
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Stefanski, Roche and one forgotten coach who has given the Argies the two Slam titles they got in the noughties: Franco Davin ;)

krystlel
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
The TennisTV commentators have been making a strong statement for Magnus Norman, and I think it is a good choice. Turning Soderling from an average player that no one ever cared much about, to a consistent contender for just about every event. Consistent and dangerous at the same time. But I'm not sure whether Norman would have similar success with other players. He doesn't have much of a coaching history (probably since he's still quite young himself).

Stefanki isn't the first player that has had success coaching Roddick, so I wouldn't name him (even though he has had success with other players, yes). I'd say his success with Gonzalez was more of a short term thing though.

Certinfy
04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Larry Stefanki - What that guy did to Roddick is quite unbelievable!

MacTheKnife
04-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Stefanki is the best coach. Gilbert, Cahill, & Norman come next.

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
The TennisTV commentators have been making a strong statement for Magnus Norman, and I think it is a good choice. Turning Soderling from an average player that no one ever cared much about, to a consistent contender for just about every event. Consistent and dangerous at the same time. But I'm not sure whether Norman would have similar success with other players. He doesn't have much of a coaching history (probably since he's still quite young himself).

Stefanki isn't the first player that has had success coaching Roddick, so I wouldn't name him (even though he has had success with other players, yes). I'd say his success with Gonzalez was more of a short term thing though.

yes, norman could turn out to be a good coach in the future but it has to be seen how he works with others........norman himself was instinctively attacking and he is trying to model soderling's game after his.......

coming to stefanki, more than the success with roddick and gonzalez, the way in which he modified their games is impressive.......

roddick since early last year has looked different in his approach.......he finally started thinking on the court than just trying to blast a serve and bash a forehand........for the first time in his career, he really outplayed federer from the baseline at wimbledon last year.......

however, i do think the change has come a little too late for roddick........he is not getting any younger but he has definitely improved his tennis a lot from the time he hired stefanki.......

dombrfc
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
How Is He Winning The Poll?!? :'(

Sharp
04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Stefanki for sure...

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
one forgotten coach who has given the Argies the two Slam titles they got in the noughties: Franco Davin ;)

This. A hundred times this.

emotion
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Denko gets little publicity but must be quite good

Everko
04-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Toni

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Brad Gilbert

Larry Stefanki

Darren Cahill

Roger Federer - although yet to prove he can coach someone else :p

Pirata.
04-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Larry Stefanki, Darren Cahill, Franco Davin and Magnus Norman.

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
the fact that federer plays with little help from coaches these days has nothing to do with how better/worse he might coach others in the future.......

i think federer would make a horrible tennis coach for various reasons.......

chowdahead25
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Stefanki no question

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
the fact that federer plays with little help from coaches these days has nothing to do with how better/worse he might coach others in the future.......

i think federer would make a horrible tennis coach for various reasons.......

I'll bite. What are those reasons?

scarecrows
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Clydey is loving this thread

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Same with half the coaches in your poll. Except Roger did an even better job of coaching himself than Uncle Toni of Rafa. He's a more valid candidate than any of them.

andy neyer
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
is that all you have to offer? look what stefanki did to roddick.......he worked earlier with gonzo and now roddick........since then both have become meaningful tennis players........

their results may not be as good as top players but they have improved as tennis players........

It's a valid objection the one the user presented, imo.

Even if a player experiences success with a certain coach, it would be an assumption to say that the success is due to that coach. There can be a ton of other factors that we, the fans, are not aware of.

Also, there are the cases of coaches who have only worked with one player for their entires lives. I think Nikolay Davydenko's brother falls in this category. How are we supposed to know how good he is considering that we don't have any objective parameter of comparison?

Start da Game
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I'll bite. What are those reasons?

he doesn't come across as a really motivated helper........he is pretty much content with his own achievements........greatest example is the davis cup joke every year.......

and besides, his massive ego won't let him pass on the game to the lesser and younger generation in switzerland.......

once again it will come down to miroslava to do all the donkey work.......she might have to set up a namesake tennis academy in basel and take care of everything and fed would be hardly ever seen there.......

Noleta
04-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Sefanki.

l_mac
04-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Martin.

duong
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
The TennisTV commentators have been making a strong statement for Magnus Norman, and I think it is a good choice. Turning Soderling from an average player that no one ever cared much about, to a consistent contender for just about every event. .

I don't know who's to be given more credit for that : Norman or his girtlfriend, Jenni Moström ;)

As for Söderling the main change is clearly in his head : being more calm and positive :shrug:

Not completely enough yet as he missed both semifinals in IW and Miami for being too nervous :rolleyes:

However I think he's the one who's made Gonzo's backhand improve, and since then this improvement has been confirmed.

Gonzalez's results have been quite consistent, I would say, even if he had a worse period after Aus Open's final.

yonexforever
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
hate to have to be the one to say it but Brad Gilbert should really be in there as well

Brad talks too much, but is an excellent coach/analyst.
After listening to Cahill on the air, he is arrogant and didnt fulfill his potential, so i dont like his personality.
Rasheed is a real ass with other issues, but never the less a comp[etent coach for a certain type of player.

yonexforever
04-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Larry Stefanki - What that guy did to Roddick is quite unbelievable!

True.. but i think Stefanki is following up on what Brad started, without ALL those sporting analogies and stats etc!

barbadosan
04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
he doesn't come across as a really motivated helper........he is pretty much content with his own achievements........greatest example is the davis cup joke every year.......

and besides, his massive ego won't let him pass on the game to the lesser and younger generation in switzerland.......

once again it will come down to miroslava to do all the donkey work.......she might have to set up a namesake tennis academy in basel and take care of everything and fed would be hardly ever seen there.......

You're always on about deluded Federer fans, but you really are the other side of the coin. Do you think you'll ever, ever pass up one single opportunity to diss Roger? Blah, don't worry, we know the answer to that one already

krystlel
04-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Gonzalez's results have been quite consistent, I would say, even if he had a worse period after Aus Open's final.
Yep, his results have been consistent - now that he is not with Stefanki, so that makes an even stronger case against him in my opinion.

duong
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Yep, his results have been consistent - now that he is not with Stefanki, so that makes an even stronger case against him in my opinion.

yes I understand but when you speak about bad results with Stefanki, could they not be related to a difficult gestion of the "post-Aus Open" ?

I remember Gonzalez talked about that once but maybe that doesn't explain how long it lasted :shrug:

Anyway, I seriously have the impression that his backhand improved thanks to Stefanki :confused:

Certinfy
04-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Btw - Who the fuck does Marcelo Gomez coach now? :confused:

Arkulari
04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
This. A hundred times this.

if the guy can get Gaudio to win a GS, he can do anything :lol:

two players, both Slam winners, what else can you ask from a coach? ;)

Tony Roche is an excellent coach as well: Lendl, Rafter, Federer...

andy neyer
04-06-2010, 02:11 AM
if the guy can get Gaudio to win a GS, he can do anything :lol:

two players, both Slam winners, what else can you ask from a coach? ;)

Tony Roche is an excellent coach as well: Lendl, Rafter, Federer...

Exactly! Getting a mental case like GG to win a GS is, well, a feat that cannot be matched. Del Potro on the other hand is a mentally tough player but it was still amazing that he beat Federer in his first GS final. I don't know what Franco said to those guys but it sure did work.

As a player, Franco Davín was a left handed journeyman but strangely enough, he still holds the respected record for being the youngest winner of an ATP match at 15 years with one month.

RogiFan88
04-06-2010, 04:16 AM
hmm... toss-up between Magnus Norman and Franco Davin... ;)

RogiFan88
04-06-2010, 04:17 AM
btw, who's Uncle TonY??

Caralimon
04-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Btw - Who the fuck does Marcelo Gomez coach now? :confused:

No one. He has never coached a pro player, he used to be Del Potro's coach when he was a kid back in Tandil.

r2473
04-06-2010, 05:32 AM
Justin Gimelstob

"The Coach to all"

-Valhalla-
04-06-2010, 05:36 AM
one forgotten coach who has given the Argies the two Slam titles they got in the noughties: Franco Davin ;)

Yup. Franco deserves to be in this poll too.

I think he has a great feel for the game, and with much better interpersonal skills as compared with Gilbert.

Roddickominator
04-06-2010, 08:31 AM
I'd have to pick Stefanki....but really it's somewhat unfortunate that we have so little information on these coaches. He seems to be a tactically intelligent coach, and knows opponent weaknesses.

I found it interesting hearing about how Stefanki believed that Roddick's backhand was so weak because of his poor footwork while moving to his left. So Stefanki's cure to this diagnosis was to get Roddick to take extra small steps to get into proper position which helps him avoid lunging at backhands that make him look foolish and pathetic.

No doubt in my mind that many of these coaches are similarly adept at helping players with these things, we just usually don't hear much about it.

I think Brad Gilbert could be a great coach for the right type of player...even though I don't think he did a whole lot for either Agassi or Roddick. Murray really seemed to be the perfect pupil for him...but their personalities and egos clashed way too much.

HattonWBA
04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Larry Stefanki

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 12:29 PM
I really can't take this poll seriously without Stefanki, Davin and Cahill in it :o
No one. He has never coached a pro player, he used to be Del Potro's coach when he was a kid back in Tandil.Oh, thanks.

krystlel
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I found it interesting hearing about how Stefanki believed that Roddick's backhand was so weak because of his poor footwork while moving to his left. So Stefanki's cure to this diagnosis was to get Roddick to take extra small steps to get into proper position which helps him avoid lunging at backhands that make him look foolish and pathetic.
Sounds interesting. Maybe I should try this for my own backhand?

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Sounds interesting. Maybe I should try this for my own backhand?Well since Roddick's BH has improved a lot, I guess it's worth a shot :shrug:

duong
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
No one. He has never coached a pro player, he used to be Del Potro's coach when he was a kid back in Tandil.

Was it the same with Zabaleta, Monaco, Diego Junqueira and Maximo Gonzalez or did he really coach them ?

an article by the ATP mentioned that he was their "former coach" :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/US-Open-Tandil-Celebrates-With-del-Potro.aspx

Lopez
04-06-2010, 01:30 PM
only experienced coaches who have coached several players should get a note as the hardest point is to be able to adapt several different players : only Brett and in a lesser extent Lundgren (maybe Gomez as I don't knoiw him :o ), are concerned in that list.

Stefanki would surely deserve a note :shrug:

With that list, this thread is nonsense imo

I think duong has a point here; we know that Rafa has had amazing results with uncle Toni but is that because of Toni's coaching or is it because Rafa is a great player? I mean Rafa could have had equal success with other coaches as well. It's impossible to judge a coach based on one result, because you can't be sure whether the result is largely because of the player himself and the coach is just riding the wave of success. Miles McLagan is another example, I'm not really sure whether he's a great coach, just that he is most suitable for the "Team Murray" thing that Andy prefers.

Stefanki OTOH has a great number of success stories.

duong
04-06-2010, 01:48 PM
It's impossible to judge a coach based on one result, because you can't be sure whether the result is largely because of the player himself and the coach is just riding the wave of success.

Not only that : I read notes from experienced coaches (notably Hagelauer from France, former Yannick Noah's coach in the past, but who has not been a coach for long anymore :lol: ), coaching is a very precise relationship between a coach and a player,

that's why he said the hardest part is to adapt to different players, even to different experiences

He said many things about that, like the fact a good coach is not somebody who has the great idea, who just comes with a great idea to impose what he wants, but the one who finds the way how to apply it, who will be able to apply the idea concretely with the player, know how to find the words, the ways, the exercizes, the relationship ...

By the way, that's why I didn't like some previous players' approaches to coaching Federer : Cahill, even Wilander ... they came very presomptuous saying they knew better than the stupid player and would impose what they want.

It was completely the opposite of what Hagelauer presented as the notion of a good coach :shrug:

That's also why for me, the fact that a coach was able to deal and of course have success with different players is a great point.

Anyway, see experienced coaches like Stefanki, Brett, Roche, even Higueras some time ago : they are not presomptuous like Cahill or some others ... even Brad Gilbert is not like that (I also think he's a good coach from what I heared by the way)

As for Stefanki, I must say that something I like seeing is him during a match of one of his favorites : always making a good smile to his player like always saying "keep on keep on, we trust you". I think that's just basic : I can see many players looking for confidence in their team, if the coach (or wife :lol: ) just looks as nervous as his favorite, how could it work ?

Persimmon
04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Stefanki.

BigJohn
04-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Marcos Roy. But to be fair, who could mess up such an apt pupil?

Action Jackson
04-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Marcos Roy. But to be fair, who could mess up such an apt pupil?

:worship:

Caralimon
04-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Was it the same with Zabaleta, Monaco, Diego Junqueira and Maximo Gonzalez or did he really coach them ?

an article by the ATP mentioned that he was their "former coach" :

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/09/US-Open-Tandil-Celebrates-With-del-Potro.aspx

All those players you named come from Tandil too, so yes, it's the same. Tandil is a small town, so I think all those players started playing in the same tennis club.

Mimi
04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
I think its roger, he won so much without a coach:eek::p

Machiavelli
04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Ricardo Piatti

Commander Data
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
R. Federer, coach of the GOAT..