Masters Miami Final: Roddick def. Berdych 7-5 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Masters Miami Final: Roddick def. Berdych 7-5 6-4

River
04-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Alright Andy!

Tom wasn't consistent enough.. Sorry Birdy~ You had a awesome run!

Bilbo
04-04-2010, 06:52 PM
roddick saved tennis today :yeah: no title for real deal berdych :awww: roddick the only top 10 player who's not sucking at the moment.

roddick nearly won both biggest masters in a row with players like federer, nadal and nole in the draw. incredible achievement imo :eek:

Chiakifug
No wonder Berdych couldnt break his serve if he played as brainless as he did in that last game.

FedererBulgaria
Congrats

Guga_fan
Birdshit is back.

Speed of Light
Interesting fact- in the last 7 out of 9 masters, the person who beat Rafa or Rafa himself has gone on to win...

Guille.
tomas:(:hug:

Andy:yeah:

SheepleBuster
What a pathetic day for tennis. The mug and chokejob return to final. Man. Shameful to be a tennis fan today. What happened to real top 5?

Hurley
Good job being first. Nice accurate scoreline in the title.

Aaric
04-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Roddick :yeah:
Tomas :hug:

Mario Sharapov
Andy :bowdown:

LinkMage
Disgusting result for tennis. Pushing wins once again.

Where was this Birdshit against Fed? :rolleyes:

SheepleBuster
And Federer should be kicking himself now. He had a match point against this mug and would have bageled Roddick. Now he is talking about his timing. Please. Don't be that passive against these mugs.

straitup
:haha: Hmmm that score doesn't quite seem right...

scarecrows
roddick saved tennis today :yeah: no title for real deal berdych :awww: roddick the only top 10 player who's not sucking at the moment.

roddick nearly won both biggest masters in a row with players like federer, nadal and nole in the draw. incredible achievement imo :eek:

you seem a big fan of roddick

Il Primo Uomo
04-04-2010, 06:54 PM
My favs Tomas and Venus lost to two players I highly hate. Oh well :o

Roddick is not agressive at all, it irks me so much. PERIOD.

Puschkin
That final was outright boring.

River
:haha: Hmmm that score doesn't quite seem right...

Sorry xD was typing fast~ Was inspired by that quick-texting phone commercial xD

Euroquitter
04-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Deserved win for Andy :cool:
Two great tournaments for Andy, should have won already IW, but still great that he was able to win Miami :yeah:

Berdych, brainless as always, not a surprise that he lost!

Action Jackson
Ducky used the junkballs and the slices to good effect. First big title for ages, and well deserved.

Time for Roddick to enjoy the holiday season and be ready for Queens.

Mechlan
Good play from Roddick today. The serve was great as always and the slice backhand really did a lot of damage. Tomas just couldn't handle the variation, and on top of that his serve was just awful, so it wasn't going to be enough. Still a good fight by him at the end, made Roddick serve it out. Congrats Andy, well deserved. :yeah:

Luinir
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Nadull is a mug.

Now, concerning this match, congrats to Roddick.

Orka_n is a troll.

Sham Kay
Too consistant from Roddick, played a decent match and did what he had to do. I dont like the guy much but props to him and good luck for the clay season (luls). Berdy looked like he was content with just getting to the finals. He'll need more of a winning mentality if he's to show his true potential.

BigJohn
This is great for Roddick. He's the real #2.

Michael Bluth
Congratulation Andy. He really did deserve another big title for all his hard work.

Berdych had a great tournament, he'll be back and will only get stronger.

alter ego
Pathetic match for a final. This should have been a 4th round result. I want kolya and Del Po back and Roger to try his best at this MS.

SheepleBuster
ATP is becoming worse than WTA. My god. Roddick has no business playing tennis let alone winning 1000 series titles.

Swiss Mountain
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Happy for Roddick, with all these finals he finally deserve to win.

Certinfy
Whatever. Congrats Andy, well deserved, lets hope Wimbledon is next :yeah:

nobama
Never in doubt.

Roddick saves the day for pusher tennis. :banana:

malisha
04-04-2010, 06:58 PM
not really a quality match

the smarter player won

Orka_n
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Orka_n is a troll.I was answering Mad Worlds comment. Then the thread he made about this was joined with this one and my comment looked really out of place. That's why I deleted it. :o

Noleta
Congrats Roddick.

:hug:Birdshit,you have earned that name today.

docking34
i knew it!!! roddick for his 29th title!!!! glorious day, now he needs to win wimbledon. hopefully the draw will open up nicely there too!

COA
Great month for Andy, hope his next big tournament will be Wimbledon.

Congrats :)

~*BGT*~
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Beautiful week :)

Aaric
And Federer should be kicking himself now. He had a match point against this mug and would have bageled Roddick. Now he is talking about his timing. Please. Don't be that passive against these mugs.

He doesnt give a fuck about miami

River
Can't believe the bitterness. Roddick was absolutely destroying Nadal with huge forehands yesterday and bashing the fuzz off the ball.

NOW Roddick uses the most SENSIBLE TACTIC against Berdych and the haters whine?

Yeah, Tennis died today. The blind idiots killed it. xDD morons and a half.

Geo
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Roddick did what he needed to do, which of course was rely on Berdych hitting errors :lol: He served well and didn't give away too many points :shrug:

Obviously Berdych controlled almost all of the rallies, but his forehand was too wild today, and he served poorly (low 1st serve %). Hopefully he'll continue to have good results this year :yeah:

Roddick played decently in the final, but he's lucky the top 4 (Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray) are in suck mode now, as well as having Del Potro injured. He's taking advantage of a weak month in men's tennis. Can't fault Roddick for playing this way, but this kind of tennis isn't going to win him another major unless the top 5 guys continue to suck/are injured at Wimbledon and USO :lol:

alter ego
04-04-2010, 07:01 PM
How can birdshit double fault for the first time at 5-5 40-40 ? Roddick was just pushing his returns down the middle. Why in God's name do you go for a risky 2nd serve ? WHY ?

Certinfy
04-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Awesome start from Berdych, but things fell apart more and more until he had no control over what was happening :o

Still nice way to save 2 Championship Points :lol:

I♥PsY@Mus!c
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Oh shit...Tomas :(
A sad day for tennis.

malisha
04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
not just low 1. serve % for Tomaš

he used his serve in a bad way today without mixing it enough

Etern
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Andy was the better player today so congrats to him

doublebackhand
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I think Roddick played a solid match today to win, dont understand why so many people hated his performance. Too bad he just missed the March bandwagon...

malisha
04-04-2010, 07:07 PM
How can birdshit double fault for the first time at 5-5 40-40 ? Roddick was just pushing his returns down the middle. Why in God's name do you go for a risky 2nd serve ? WHY ?

he colud as well spin some 1. serves in as Roddick wolud not hit many return winners...just to try something different
body serve can be effective against him and the one down the T on the juice side..he was going for the wide serve all the time and Roddick was reading it like a book....im really dissapointed with his serving today

Action Jackson
04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
not just low 1. serve % for Tomaš

he used his serve in a bad way today without mixing it enough

He served poorly and made a lot of cheap errors, at the same time as much as I can't stand the Duck, he played a smart match tactically and that contributed to a subpar showing.

Berdych's lobs were better than his forehand.

Certinfy
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Tomas' serve and ROS today were :haha:

Corey Feldman
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
these last 2 tournaments are what can happen when Del Potro, Davyenko are injured and Fed, Nole, Murray are suffering some kind of burn out/motvation issues

least Nadal didnt win it :D

Eden
04-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Congrats for the title Andy :yeah:

Tomas :hug: Great run this week. Good luck for the next tournaments.

SheepleBuster
04-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I have to admit. I'd be more than happy to see Roddick win these minor tournaments and choke big ones like Wimbledon. As long as Roddick doesn't win another grandslam, I don't care what he does. This guy has won one slam too many!!

DJ Soup
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Roddick actually thinks on the court

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Roddick did what he needed to do, which of course was rely on Berdych hitting errors :lol: He served well and didn't give away too many points :shrug:

Obviously Berdych controlled almost all of the rallies, but his forehand was too wild today, and he served poorly (low 1st serve %). Hopefully he'll continue to have good results this year :yeah:

Roddick played decently in the final, but he's lucky the top 4 (Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray) are in suck mode now, as well as having Del Potro injured. He's taking advantage of a weak month in men's tennis. Can't fault Roddick for playing this way, but this kind of tennis isn't going to win him another major unless the top 5 guys continue to suck/are injured at Wimbledon and USO :lol:

Roddick played the way he should have today. Used a lot of variation, served well. Actually hit the ball with more pace than he usually does, and even brought out the occasional s&v. If he had played hard and deep, Berdych would have eaten it up. I don't think you can use this match as a measuring stick against the other top guys. In general I like the increased aggressiveness of his return game. Roddick is playing well and has a shot at Wimbledon again this year if he can play aggressively and not miss.

KostyaTszyu
04-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Awesome last two tourneys from Roddick, the Ljubicic hiccup aside. He's got a complete game going at the moment and he's going to make serious noise again at Wimbledon and the US Open.

SetSampras
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Awesome last two tourneys from Roddick, the Ljubicic hiccup aside. He's got a complete game going at the moment and he's going to make serious noise again at Wimbledon and the US Open.

He will have Fed to contend with at those.. Good luck...

Lauraa00
Birdshit is back.

:smash:

SheepleBuster
Roddick played the way he should have today. Used a lot of variation, served well. Actually hit the ball with more pace than he usually does, and even brought out the occasional s&v. If he had played hard and deep, Berdych would have eaten it up. I don't think you can use this match as a measuring stick against the other top guys. In general I like the increased aggressiveness of his return game. Roddick is playing well and has a shot at Wimbledon again this year if he can play aggressively and not miss.

So you are saying that Roddick can beat Nadal at Wimbledon? Roddick shouldn't have beaten Nadal this tournament. Roddick has 0 chance to win Wimbledon. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I'll change my name if he wins Wimbledon. I'll leave the country if he does... and move to a village or something

andylovesaustin
04-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Who would have thunk it?!

Congrats to Andy! I thought it would be closer, but Andy got the job done in two.

And Tomas had a great tournament, too.

Puschkin
04-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Roddick played the way he should have today. Used a lot of variation....
:eek: I doubt you know the meaning of variation in tennis?

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
So you are saying that Roddick can beat Nadal at Wimbledon? Roddick shouldn't have beaten Nadal this tournament. Roddick has 0 chance to win Wimbledon. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I'll change my name if he wins Wimbledon. I'll leave the US if he does...

Yes, I think Roddick can beat Nadal at Wimbledon. It's Federer I think he can't beat. Yeah, i'll save this post just in case. ;)

SetSampras
I want to see Roddick do this against the TOP DOGS when it matters most..

Noleta
these last 2 tournaments are what can happen when Del Potro, Davyenko are injured and Fed, Nole, Murray are suffering some kind of burn out/motvation issues

They made a deal together to let other players be in the limelight for once:awww::hug:

Lauraa00
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh stop calling him birdshit for heaven's sake :shout:

SheepleBuster
Yes, I think Roddick can beat Nadal at Wimbledon. It's Federer I think he can't beat. Yeah, i'll save this post just in case. ;)

Please bring it up when Roddick does win Wimbledon. haha. I'll not only change my name but will put my dog for adoption as well. Ain't happening. Honestly, little green man landing on the top of White House is more likely than Roddick winning another slam.

Azurebi
Mr Roddick was calm and smarter. Very solid top 10 player :hatoff:
Forgettable quality of the match though

JolánGagó
Birdshit in full display :haha:

Bamos Duckie!! :rocker2:

timafi
Roddick must have gone to a voodoo priest:rolleyes:Federer;Nadal;Djokovic and Murray are all playing shitty tennis and Del Potro who owns him is injured:rolleyes:

clay court season is upon us and the best players will be back to whooping his ass as usual in Europe;if he even shows up . . .:devil:

tennishero
well done andy, finally gets his title, after losing last week in the final. hes been playing more agressive this tournament, it paid off, but u cant look past the fact that all the top guns got knocked out early and he got a cakewalk to the final. still, he deserves it.

FEDERERBEAUTY
04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Delighted for Roddick. Really hope he takes the Wimbledon title this year. It would be a fitting end to his career. Congrats Andy:worship:

KostyaTszyu

Fed is the favorite for both, no one is disputing that. Andy in current form will make deep runs in both.

star
Roddick must have gone to a voodoo priest:rolleyes:Federer;Nadal;Djokovic and Murray are all playing shitty tennis and Del Potro who owns him is injured:rolleyes:

clay court season is upon us and the best players will be back to whooping his ass as usual in Europe;if he even shows up . . .

He'll probably go to Rome.

andy neyer
04-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Roddick saved tennis today indeed.

He might be more of a pusher today but at least he mixes up his game and shots a bit whereas the only game-plan that Tomas seems to be able to do is to smack the ball hard.

SheepleBuster
Delighted for Roddick. Really hope he takes the Wimbledon title this year. It would be a fitting end to his career. Congrats Andy:worship:

Stop with the blasphemy. You want tennis dead? This guy is not a tennis player. I should know. He comes from my country. Anyone but Roddick winning a slam moves tennis forward. This guy is ancient stuff and should just retire or pick up another sport.

Persimmon

Federer does not tank at the slams:wavey:

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 07:24 PM

No, I think I know the meaning of variation. It's what Roddick did today and what Federer used to do against guys like Berdych and Del Potro. Strange how Berdych played great all week and ended up playing like shit today, isn't it? :scratch:

Certinfy
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh stop calling him birdshit for heaven's sake :shout:I know, it's stupid!

andy neyer

Roddick is 27, phyisically healthy and playing his best tennis ever. He's nowhere near the end of his career.

star

:hug: You always have that. :)

star
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Stop with the blasphemy. You want tennis dead? This guy is not a tennis player. I should know. He comes from my country. Anyone but Roddick winning a slam moves tennis forward. This guy is ancient stuff and should just retire or pick up another sport.

:haha: :haha:

You should go into comedy.

paseo
04-04-2010, 07:25 PM
So you are saying that Roddick can beat Nadal at Wimbledon? Roddick shouldn't have beaten Nadal this tournament. Roddick has 0 chance to win Wimbledon. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I'll change my name if he wins Wimbledon. I'll leave the country if he does... and move to a village or something

Yes, he can.

Why don't you enlighten us, please?

crude oil
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM

agreed. if only roddick competed in the 90s, he would have pete on grass...a much easier proposition;)

Puschkin
04-04-2010, 07:27 PM
No, I think I know the meaning of variation.
Then I just wonder why I could predict 95 % of Roddick's shots. The same is true for Berdych by the way.

SetSampras
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
agreed. if only roddick competed in the 90s, he would have pete on grass...a much easier proposition;)

LOL... He would have had Agassi and Pete on Hard and Grass to contend with at those good luck with that;) Agassi at 102 years old was schooling Roddick. petey blew him off the court at the USO like swatting at a fly at 32 years old in his final slam

alter ego
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
No, I think I know the meaning of variation. It's what Roddick did today and what Federer used to do against guys like Berdych and Del Potro. Strange how Berdych played great all week and ended up playing like shit today, isn't it? :scratch:

Berdych 1st service in =49 % enough said about his level.

ChinoRios4Ever
04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
A-Rod :bowdown: big congrats :yeah:

Corey Feldman
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Nole, Murray, Roddick all won this title after losing indian wells final in 3 of last 4 years

Persimmon
04-04-2010, 07:33 PM

The man to beat at Wimbledon is Federer:wavey:

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Berdych 1st service in =49 % enough said about his level.

That was what killed Tomas today. He played an absolutely horrible service game early in the second with no first serves in. But I think he didn't overall play a poor match, he was beaten by someone who he struggles with in this match-up for the reasons I posted above.

River
04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Consistency also means consistently healthy as well, physically and mentally. He's finally recovered from his loss at Wimbledon (took you long enough, Andy...) and is playing an awesome mix of his old and new school styles. His consistency has outlasted the other top players. Two Roddicks make a right.

To say that Roddick had a cakewalk to this title is insulting Nadal's value, too. He's still a top-10 player. Then again, MTFers will never let Andy slide on anything. He could beat Federer 6-0 6-0 6-0 by some miracle and someone would still say "You saw that point on (insert insignificant point location here)? Wow. Roddick is fucking awful."

If the other top players aren't motivated, then sucks to be them. I understand injuries but a mental lapse is their own fault, so in terms of the mental battle, Roddick has beaten them these past two tournaments.

electronicmusic
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Congrats Andy!

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Big serves, kick serves, slice serves, flat FHs, loopy FHs, flat BHs, slice BHs, volleys, half-volleys, smashes - Andy hit just about every shot in the book today.

I would sure love to know your definition of variety.

delpiero7
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Finally Andy!

Would have been better if he had won IW to complete the North American boxset, but a win at any Masters is big for him considering he last won in Cinci '06.

BTW, he sure loves to hit a slice backhand (or 400) :devil:

Team_Roddick
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
:woohoo:

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
This was the key today, he simply out-smarted Berdych. He wasn't always "pushing", he wasn't always "ball-bashing". By varying the pace, direction and spin of his shots, Berdy never found a rhythm and had to keep guessing.

ChinoRios4Ever
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
This was the key today, he simply out-smarted Berdych. He wasn't always "pushing", he wasn't always "ball-bashing". By varying the pace, direction and spin of his shots, Berdy never found a rhythm and had to keep guessing.

This Stefanki is good.

star
Big serves, kick serves, slice serves, flat FHs, loopy FHs, flat BHs, slice BHs, volleys, half-volleys, smashes - Andy hit just about every shot in the book today.

I would sure love to know your definition of variety.

I guess it was the lack of lobs that led to the comment. ;)

River
BTW, he sure loves to hit a slice backhand (or 400) :devil:

:D Roddick (and pretty much everyone) knew that Berdych doesn't like balls with no pace, so off-pace shots will make him think too much and shoot it wide. It started failing around the end of the match so he pretty much decided to bash the balls with him, and that didn't even make Berdych stop screwing up.

Roddick AND Berdych beat Berdych.

Mateya
04-04-2010, 07:45 PM
YEAAAAAAH, I'm so happy for Roddick. He deserves this MS title more than any other playera at the moment. :worship:

Clay season = holiday season
This Roddick is good. :) Does nothing on clay and still manages to stay in top 10.

Corey Feldman
04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
how could roddick make berdych look like a clown with that BH slice and Fed couldnt

f'en stupid arrogant ego king, showing off trying to hit bh winners for annie wintour

FEDERERBEAUTY
04-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Nonsense.

shotgun
04-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Berdych pigeonized. I hope he can take this form into the clay season.

Congrats to Roddick. As always, he was awful to watch with his lumberjack (yet effective) strokes. :unsure:

alter ego
04-04-2010, 07:49 PM
That was what killed Tomas today. He played an absolutely horrible service game early in the second with no first serves in. But I think he didn't overall play a poor match, he was beaten by someone who he struggles with in this match-up for the reasons I posted above.

I disagree with you. Roddick dosen't have variation in his game (welll not at least today). He just used the same pattern. Lots of slice balls and lots of neutral ball down the middle. Once Roddick changed this pattern and came to the net he got owned. He was 4/11 net points won near the end of the match.
Roddick has just two game plans.
a)Be patient. Don't come to the net unless you have a short ball to kill. Use the slice BH even when your opponets gives you a neutral ball.
b) If plan A dosen't work be aggressive come to the net even after your 2nd serve, and try to hit flat FH.

tangerine_dream
04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Congrats on your second tit, Andy. :hatoff:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=210507&d=1270410387

Har-Tru
04-04-2010, 07:52 PM

:haha:

Andy :worship:

Noleta
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

:lol:

andylovesaustin
04-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Ooo.. ooo... Are the highlights from Champions for Chile on the Sony site?

I'm going to go check it out!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

River
04-04-2010, 07:54 PM

After a whole year, Brooklyn demanded a big title from him if he ever wants to see the second tit ever again.

jcempire
04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
both have a great run

Roddick Finally got one after last Final lost just two weeks ago

delpiero7
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
After a whole year, Brooklyn demanded a big title from him if he ever wants to see the second tit ever again.

I was going to make a similar yoke :sad:

Vida
04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
congrats andy! :yeah:

River
04-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I was going to make a similar yoke :sad:

I have a mind control device that made you hesitate. It kind of looks similar to Legenda's mind-control device, aka his headband

DanaKz
04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
:worship: Andy!

Montego
04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Godness me, that was boring as hell :yawn:

tangerine_dream
04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
What'll she give him if he wins Wimbledon, "Three tits?" (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/bcpgzkljxw--Three-Tits) :p

both have a great run

Roddick Finally got one after last Final lost just two weeks ago
But Andy still suck, right?

superslam77
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
oh well at least he saved tennis from Nadull :shrug:

was almost feeling sorry for the Duck so congrats to Robofans :hatoff:

Rocket is not only serve anymore :eek:

Corey Feldman
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
get out of here with your gloating, tangy

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I want to see Roddick do this against the TOP DOGS when it matters most..
Me too. :)

The man to beat at Wimbledon is Federer:wavey:
He could get lucky if Nadal-Fed play each other in the semis. :p

But most likely you're right and I think he'd want to defeat Fed at a slam for once. Or he could go the Ivanisevic route, although even Goran defeated Pete at Wimby once.

ReturnWinner
04-04-2010, 08:14 PM
expected rsult, boring match. Roddick served great and his pushing and junkball were very effective, congrats Duck :hatoff:

Persimmon
04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Me too. :)

He could get lucky if Nadal-Fed play each other in the semis. :p

But most likely you're right and I think he'd want to defeat Fed at a slam for once. Or he could go the Ivanisevic route, although even Goran defeated Pete at Wimby once.

I'm pretty sure ITF will almost never put Fed and Nadal in the same half because of the ratings of a projected final. Yeah, they rig the draws:D So if Rod wants Wimbledon he will have to beat the Wimbledon King:wavey:

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure ITF will almost never put Fed and Nadal in the same half because of the ratings of a projected final. Yeah, they rig the draws:D So if Rod wants Wimbledon he will have to beat the Wimbledon King:wavey:Last time I checked Nadal is ranked #4, not #2. But maybe the AELTC (not the ITF btw) can make their seeding adjustment even more extreme than before. ;)

Geo
04-04-2010, 08:31 PM

I said in my post that Roddick played the way he needed to play :shrug: When he plays the top of the top guys and they're healthy/in good form, this style won't work, because they won't give away as many free points/errors as Berdych. If Roddick tries being more aggressive against them, they'll just counterpunch and he'll end up hitting errors, like he used to do in the early 2000s :lol: Federer and Hewitt used to feast on an aggressive, net-rushing Roddick :spit:

Obviously this more passive approach was the right thing to do against Berdych, but my point is if he thinks he's going to win Wimbledon or another USO by just mixing up his shots and waiting for an error, he's in for another disappointment :p unless Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro continue to be sucky and/or injured

andylovesaustin
04-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Last time I checked Nadal is ranked #4, not #2. But maybe the AELTC (not the ITF btw) can make their seeding adjustment even more extreme than before. ;)

During Andy's match v Rafa, the commentators were saying Rafa was going to move-up to #3 even if he lost in the semis. :shrug:

Jimnik
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
During Andy's match v Rafa, the commentators were saying Rafa was going to move-up to #3 even if he lost in the semis. :shrug:
Indeed, and he could be #2 by the end of the clay season. But I was just saying he might get lucky if results go his way next couple months.

cobalt60
04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Ducky used the junkballs and the slices to good effect. First big title for ages, and well deserved.

:eek: It isn't April Fool's anymore you know;) Actually glad he won but yeah what a boring match for me.

FedFan
04-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Finally a great success for Roddick. :worship:

I am very happy for him, he fully deserves this victory. :)

Well, done, Andy.

Calidreth
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Roddick at the top where he belongs -- grats on a great week

TennisOnWood
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Great job Andy!!!

First ATP win here in 2001 as a teen,victory over Rios and Sampras (first player ranked outside Top 100 to beat Pistol Pete since 1994.) in 2002. and two titles after that

Was this his 700th ATP match?

TMJordan
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
This is the birdshit we all know...and hate.

Black Adam
04-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Somebody check in that Cyrusking and his huge chip on the shoulder into an asylum. Before he self harms. What a racist prick!

is1531
04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
What a pathetic day for tennis. The mug and chokejob return to final. Man. Shameful to be a tennis fan today. What happened to real top 5?

I think Roddick's wife, who is a model should tell Roddick to take a shave daily. He has a very slimy look to him. He is a terrific tennis player, but somebody has to help him with his groom and not Roddick Steppenek.He problably pulls on his shoulder sleeve over 200times per match. I wonder how he eats at the dinner table,lol

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 09:08 PM
I disagree with you. Roddick dosen't have variation in his game (welll not at least today). He just used the same pattern. Lots of slice balls and lots of neutral ball down the middle. Once Roddick changed this pattern and came to the net he got owned. He was 4/11 net points won near the end of the match.
Roddick has just two game plans.
a)Be patient. Don't come to the net unless you have a short ball to kill. Use the slice BH even when your opponets gives you a neutral ball.
b) If plan A dosen't work be aggressive come to the net even after your 2nd serve, and try to hit flat FH.

Hitting slices, off-paces, junkballs IS variation. If Roddick hit the same loopy shots time after time, that would be different. And coming to net wasn't Plan B, or at least not today. He didn't start coming in because he was losing the baseline game. He was already a set and a break up by then. Sorry, you can say Roddick's game today wasn't pretty, but you can't say it wasn't effective.

star
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I said in my post that Roddick played the way he needed to play :shrug: When he plays the top of the top guys and they're healthy/in good form, this style won't work, because they won't give away as many free points/errors as Berdych. If Roddick tries being more aggressive against them, they'll just counterpunch and he'll end up hitting errors, like he used to do in the early 2000s :lol: Federer and Hewitt used to feast on an aggressive, net-rushing Roddick :spit:

Obviously this more passive approach was the right thing to do against Berdych, but my point is if he thinks he's going to win Wimbledon or another USO by just mixing up his shots and waiting for an error, he's in for another disappointment :p unless Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro continue to be sucky and/or injured

Of course he doesn't think that playing the same way against every player will win the match. That is why he played differently against Nadal than he did Berdych.

Although there is a fixed opinion on this board that Andy is a mindless ball basher who wins only with his serve, Andy actually is a smart player who uses his talents as best he can. He keeps working even in the face of adversity and defeat. That takes some character and mental strength. :hatoff:

A lot of people say the serve is fine and the rest of it's pretty average. That's all right. But there are a lot of guys with big serves who are pretty average, so there's got to be some difference. -- Andy Roddick

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Agreed. It was weird reading his post-match press conference on Friday about how he didn't want to go out of his comfort zone early against Nadal and start going for lines. I think that's exactly what he needs to do more of against players that are better than him, and the earlier the better.

star
04-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Agreed. It was weird reading his post-match press conference on Friday about how he didn't want to go out of his comfort zone early against Nadal and start going for lines. I think that's exactly what he needs to do more of against players that are better than him, and the earlier the better.

Didja read the rest of the interview where he said he did start going for the lines and going for broke? Driving headfirst into traffic is how I think he put it. Something like that.

tangerine_dream
04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Funny how the Berdych fans are pissed because Roddick didn't have to bring his best game to beat him. If junkballing and slicing Berdych is all it takes, then so be it.

I'm in ur internetz, pissing off the hatas.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8691/rodmiamiwin.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/rodmiamiwin.jpg/)

-Valhalla-
04-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I actually enjoyed this match. Andy mixed things up beautifully with his off-speed stuff and served lights out, again. I thought Birdy started to fatigue in the 10th game of the first set, and sure enough, he was broken in the very next game. The emotional and physical toll of the Fed, Nando, and Sods victories finally caught up with him, and those long, physical rallies in the Miami sun weren’t doing him any favors either.

All credit to Roddick as this week was some of the best HC tennis I’ve ever seen from him [yes, better than his 2003 run at the USO]. And despite what people think of his game, the kid’s strong as an ox, supremely well-conditioned, and has great fighting spirit. And to see him improving his game in the twilight of his career is admirable as well.

Congratulations and well done Andy :hatoff:

mark73
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Please bring it up when Roddick does win Wimbledon. haha. I'll not only change my name but will put my dog for adoption as well. Ain't happening. Honestly, little green man landing on the top of White House is more likely than Roddick winning another slam.

no keep your dog!! :eek:

alfonsojose
04-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Congrats, but what a boring final :o At least Rodzniacki has a serve. Tennis needS :help: ASAP

Deboogle!.
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I love how people are talking about Andy's serve here :lol: He didn't even serve that well today. For much of the 2nd set he was below 50%, and for that set he was only 57% which is well below average for him (he averaged about 70% over all of the 2009 season I believe). Berdych's problem is that Andy won an amazing 70% of his 2nd serve points, and in the first set he actually won more 2nd serve points than 1st serve points (by a decent margin).

-Valhalla-
04-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Andy won an amazing 70% of his 2nd serve points, and in the first set he actually won more 2nd serve points than 1st serve points (by a decent margin).

Yup, his 2nd serve was impressive. He was hitting lines up the T and mixed things up nicely.

As they say, "You're only as good as your second serve."

Certinfy
04-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Funny how the Berdych fans are pissed because Roddick didn't have to bring his best game to beat him. If junkballing and slicing Berdych is all it takes, then so be it.
Yeah I'm pissed :rolleyes: I though Andy played pretty well personally, and Andy no doubt deserved it a lot more than Tomas, so I don't really care :shrug:

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Didja read the rest of the interview where he said he did start going for the lines and going for broke? Driving headfirst into traffic is how I think he put it. Something like that.

Right, I just thought it was curious he decided to play his normal game for so long. I think he needs to do that from the beginning, even if it is high risk. Kind of like what Murray does when he plays Nadal.

Dini
04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Well done, Roddick. Great to see such a consistent top 10 player remind everyone why he is just that. I may not be his biggest fan but the way he keeps plugging away at it, the way he keeps going so deep in tournaments and the way he takes defeats as a man when things aren't going so well just demands respect. Congratulations to him and to the majority of the Miami crowd. His MTF fans too of course. :p

FEDERERBEAUTY
04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Well done, Roddick. Great to see such a consistent top 10 player remind everyone why he is just that. I may not be his biggest fan but the way he keeps plugging away at it, the way he keeps going so deep in tournaments and the way he takes defeats as a man when things aren't going so well just demands respect. Congratulations to him and to the majority of the Miami crowd. His MTF fans too of course. :p

Nice post:)

alter ego
04-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Hitting slices, off-paces, junkballs IS variation. If Roddick hit the same loopy shots time after time, that would be different. And coming to net wasn't Plan B, or at least not today. He didn't start coming in because he was losing the baseline game. He was already a set and a break up by then. Sorry, you can say Roddick's game today wasn't pretty, but you can't say it wasn't effective.

When I was talking about plan B I was referring to the Nadal match. And yes you're obviously right, Roddick dind't use his plan B because A was enough.
But once again you say that Roddick's game was effective, and yes I agree, but that dosen't mean it had any kind of variation. IMO it was just a classic win where your opponent executions lacks consistency but he just keeps doing the same thing. It was more of a case where Berdych's tactics were very poor than Roddick's being sublime.
For me variations means to out-think your opponent point by point. Not to follow a pattern. The clearest sign of a player using variation is when you see his opponent out of the comfort zone. Berdych was never in that situation. He was making 2 good shots and then 2 bad ones from almost the same position.
Roddick had his serve to bail him out of trouble (at 2-3, 0-30 in the first set). Berdych didn't.

coonster14
04-04-2010, 11:08 PM
congrats andy roddick!!! :yeah:

bad luck berdych, but great run this whole tournament :clap2:

heya
04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Roddick admitted after the match that he didn't know if this moment would ever come again.
"Any athlete who says they don't have a 'what if' moment isn't being too honest with you," Roddick said. "I've certainly had my share of them throughout the course of my career. I openly talked to Brook and wondered if the best of it was gone. I didn't know. I honestly didn't know. But I knew there was a way to find out, and that was to go back to the drawing board and give myself every opportunity to succeed. Luckily that's given me some good days."

--Where was Decker? Why didn't he kiss the ground again? Coward would've been a drama queen if Federer was in the final. Ignorant idiot.

Heather1229
04-04-2010, 11:21 PM
and Heya returns.....

heya
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Wrong, but nice try.

"Yay. My hero won." *giggles

Mechlan
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
When I was talking about plan B I was referring to the Nadal match. And yes you're obviously right, Roddick dind't use his plan B because A was enough.
But once again you say that Roddick's game was effective, and yes I agree, but that dosen't mean it had any kind of variation. IMO it was just a classic win where your opponent executions lacks consistency but he just keeps doing the same thing. It was more of a case where Berdych's tactics were very poor than Roddick's being sublime.
For me variations means to out-think your opponent point by point. Not to follow a pattern. The clearest sign of a player using variation is when you see his opponent out of the comfort zone. Berdych was never in that situation. He was making 2 good shots and then 2 bad ones from almost the same position.
Roddick had his serve to bail him out of trouble (at 2-3, 0-30 in the first set). Berdych didn't.

We must just have different interpretations. To me, Berdych was out of his comfort zone once they got into the baseline rallies. He never had a chance to get in a groove and execute the way he is capable of doing. Not that it's completely surprising, they've played several times before to similar results. What Roddick does best just happens to be the kind of game Berdych doesn't like playing against. :shrug:

heya
04-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Did I miss something new? Roddick acted like he woke up & saw a rainbow at the end of the semi & final. He wasn't interested in looking admirable because he didn't chase after all the shots.

moonlightdance
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
i must give roddick credit here. for all the shortcomings of his game that have been discussed all these years, he really is quite consistent and still tries so hard. he's played well the last few weeks and deserved the title here. hope he stays healthy and in good form. and now with indian wells and miami behind us, let the clay commence!

josemanuel
04-05-2010, 12:01 AM
I´m very happy for Andy and he really deserves this title, for playing so consistently the last couple of weeks.
I think he´s been a little underachieved, but his game is there and he keeps it through the years.

Congrats Andy!!!

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 12:40 AM
wow great win for roddick, didnt think it would be so comfortable

Forehander
04-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Tomas is too nervous when trying to hold his own game against Roddick. He's just mentally not good enough. Too scared of the Roddick serve.

JediFed
04-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Roddick shows that the old balls aren't done yet.

Federer in the AO. JCF in the south swing. Davydenko, Ljuba Truba, and now Roddick.

L James
04-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Great fortnight for Roddick and a deserved title.

Surprised me, to be honest.

habibko
04-05-2010, 02:24 AM
oujlB9lTxh0

congrats Andy! played such a smart match, after playing the beautiful aggressive tennis to beat Nadal one can only ask for so much :yeah:

onwards to the grass season!

KarlyM
04-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Good win for Roddick. :yeah:
He did a good job at IW and Miami gaining ranking points when the other top players were injured, turned into headcases, or just went M.I.A. :lol:

LoveFifteen
04-05-2010, 03:15 AM

Instead of leaving the country, why don't you just promise to get a life if Roddick wins Wimbledon. :o

SheepleBuster
04-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Instead of leaving the country, why don't you just promise to get a life if Roddick wins Wimbledon. :o

If Roddick wins Wimbledon, it means life is meaningless and there is no god. I'd be a life changing experience for me, and I'd probably have to be a monk for a few years just to get over this. Roddick does not deserve the one slam he won as Nalbandian was clearly cheated in that US Open semi when holding match points. Of course, I'll count on Roddick the choker to choke at Wimbledon and US Open once again.

TMJordan
04-05-2010, 04:36 AM
The game is at an all time low when this pusher is winning tournaments. If he ever wins another gs it will be officially dead.

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Did I miss something new? Roddick acted like he woke up & saw a rainbow at the end of the semi & final. He wasn't interested in looking admirable because he didn't chase after all the shots.

wtf is wrong with u :retard:. Seriously what are u talking about?

crap tournament all round..only half-decent match was fed-bedych and that wasn't even great

B.z.A.
04-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont like Roddick, but im glad he won. I dont like Berdych either.

Sunset of Age
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
This wasn't actually the most exciting match I can think of, but all kudos to Roddick nevertheless. He played this match using his BRAIN, applying the correct tactics against a player like Berdych, which is indeed, play passively-but-solid, return just about everything that gets thrown at you and just wait for the opponent's serve to crack. Which is about what happened.

People may like this style of tennis or not, but eventually the goal of the game of tennis is getting that ball over the net just once more than your opponent, and I personally don't mind it at all to see a player play intelligent tactics (just like he did against Nadal - the complete opposite tactic!) to achieve just that.
A deserved victory for Roddick. :hatoff:

What a run he's been having the past couple of weeks. He looks better in form than he's been in some five years or so :eek: - well 'who did it', Stefanki or Brooklyn? :D

Kudos to Berdych too, for an awesome run in Miami, beating Federer, Verdasco and Soderling. Not something to be ashamed of. His luck ran out in the final, where his 1st serve was sh*t and his shots were much too rough to do any damage to defending-style Roddick. I very much enjoyed his overhead lobs btw. :worship:
Better luck on the clay, Tomas! :hug:

SerenaFederer
04-05-2010, 02:33 PM
nice run Andy :yeah:

Certinfy
04-05-2010, 02:37 PM
In a way it's easy for me to say Berdych played shit, but Roddick's tactics yesterday were superb, did everything he should of done against a player like Berdych. Only thing I can blame Berdych for is his 1st serve % :o

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM
oujlB9lTxh0

congrats Andy! played such a smart match, after playing the beautiful aggressive tennis to beat Nadal one can only ask for so much :yeah:

onwards to the grass season!
@ 2:36 - point of the tournament. :worship:

31-stroke rally and Berdy saves MP. I really thought that could be a turning point. Credit to Andy for holding his nerve and serving it out after losing 2 MPs.

oz_boz
04-05-2010, 08:24 PM
:hatoff: again to Andy for the title, biggest win for him for a very long time. Will be interesting to see if he can keep his form and confidence into the grass season. Expected result though, Berdych struggles with players who have just a little variation and Roddick is smart enough to beat him most of the times.

Aslso I hope Berdych and Söderling can build on their performances here, but their history makes me doubt it, particularly in Tomas case...

Brick Top
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
finaly Andy,congratulations:worship:

Mimi
04-07-2010, 07:08 AM
:yippee::dance::bigclap:

federersforehand
04-07-2010, 08:13 AM
GO RODDERS, this mans like a b grade fed, he is always ALWAYS going to stay in the top10 because hes got fight