How will Nadal's clay season go? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How will Nadal's clay season go?

Fed=ATPTourkilla
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I don't think you can use his hardcourt defeats as evidence that he is declining, because he has never been top dog on hardcourts. However, if he starts losing regularly on clay, he has a problem.

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I really do think some of the top guys will beat him...

dombrfc
04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
He'll lose to Dan Evans

born_on_clay
04-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't believe I'm saying this but...

He won't win a single title on clay this year

You can quote me on this

Eden
04-03-2010, 12:20 AM

You can quote me on this

Who do you believe is going to beat him? It's way to early to say something about his chances on clay yet. Let's first wait and see how players who are currently out of form or injured (Djokovic, Davydenko, Del Potro) and who have the game to trouble Rafa will do and of course how Rafa himself is going to play.

Even if he might not win all claytournaments until RG he will be the main favourite for Paris. The French Open is the most important clay tournament and there's always a difference to beat a player in a best of 3 or best of 5 match.

Nole fan
04-03-2010, 12:49 AM
The real beauty of this season for me will be the clay tournaments. It's gonna be interesting to see how Novak and Rafa battle for the nº 2 ranking.

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:50 AM
He's done the hard part.

DJ Soup
04-03-2010, 01:43 AM
depends on what kind of Delpo will play the clay season

NADALbULLS
04-03-2010, 01:59 AM
If Djokovic and Murray couldn't beat weak defensive Nadal last year then what hope now for them?

Dyraise
04-03-2010, 02:07 AM
He will win everything.

coonster14
04-03-2010, 02:48 AM
i have a feeling he will not win all the clay tourneys he enters, but i am interested to see how del potro plays against rafa on clay, and also if nole can finally get that first win over rafa on clay. (madrid 09- 3 match points, that was just a heartbreaker!!!) :sad:
oh, and also i want another rafa/roger match-up again, it has been way too long since ive seen them play against each other, i miss it.

Johnny Groove
04-03-2010, 03:29 AM
Ownage. No doubt.

Sri
04-03-2010, 03:32 AM
He'll do really well, but I can see DelPo, Djoko beating him in the Masters.

ssj100
04-03-2010, 04:01 AM
He won't lose a single set. Too easy.

RafaFan95
04-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I don`t think that he will win so much as last year but he will win some tournaments.

HarryMan
04-03-2010, 11:04 AM
It will be interesting to see for sure. However in his backyard, the clay courts, it will take players playing lights out tennis to stand a chance to beat him. Nadal isn't playing as badly as some make it out to be and this will become very evident in some time at Monte Carlo.

orangehat
04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
He should probably concentrate on staying fit before winning titles.

paseo
04-03-2010, 11:20 AM
It will be a nightmare clay season for Nadal.

Why?....

DEL POTRO*!!!... Soderling!!...Djokovic!!... and Fed...

Pray for Death!!!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

*)If he can get healthy, that is.

born_on_clay
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Who do you believe is going to beat him? It's way to early to say something about his chances on clay yet. Let's first wait and see how players who are currently out of form or injured (Djokovic, Davydenko, Del Potro) and who have the game to trouble Rafa will do and of course how Rafa himself is going to play.

Even if he might not win all claytournaments until RG he will be the main favourite for Paris. The French Open is the most important clay tournament and there's always a difference to beat a player in a best of 3 or best of 5 match.

Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko, Del Potro, Soderling, Gonzalez, Verdasco, Ferrer

pick yourself one of them

MariaV
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
And where is the option that He is going to retire and jump off the cliff (to the joy of MTF)? :( :(

BlueSwan
04-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Ownage. He wins Monte Carlo, Barcelona and RG. He probably wins one of Rome or Madrid as well, but likely not both (might skip Madrid).

Eden
04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Federer, Djokovic, Davydenko, Del Potro, Soderling, Gonzalez, Verdasco, Ferrer

pick yourself one of them

Gonzalez, Verdasco and Ferrer are way better players on HC as on clay. When was the last time that either of them has beaten Rafa?
Söderling doesn't have clay as his favourite surface either.
Djokovic is struggling with his form and it has first to be seen if he can regroup for the clay season. Davydenko and Del Potro are currently injured and it is uncertain how they will perform in their first tournaments when they come back.
Roger hasn't convinced since the AO and his head to head against Rafa on clay speak for itself. That doesn't mean he won't have any chance against him on a court which suits him, but as already said it won't mean anything for RG when Rafa loses in a best of 3 clay tournament as there is a difference to beat him in a GS match.

spriwi
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM

You can quote me on this

That's bullshit. No doubt.

stebs
04-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I think his intensity has actually declined from the ridiculous levels it reached in 2008 and the first half of 2009 but he is simply head and shoulders above everyone else on clay anyway so it shouldn't be a big change from the past. As soon as he wins MC the confidence will be back and he is massive favourite to win it.

I think he will lose one match on clay this year. He will still be a dominant force. Too difficult to make an informed guess as to where though.

Noleta
04-03-2010, 03:21 PM
He'll be a force to beat just like last year:)

dodo
04-03-2010, 04:38 PM

You can quote me on this

Oh please.
No single player has an edge on him on clay and he will be a big favorite for every tourney. His edge is considerably smaller than previously, so if someone steps up like Djokovic in 2009, he will likely lose and is generally more vulnerable against all solid claycourters (except fed :(). But surely he will win a couple of titles.

River
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
This is Rafa's reset button. He's been waiting for this.

Two semis on a surface that pounds his knees will certainly equate to a real good outing on clay. Expect him to win a crapload of titles.

Persimmon
04-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Well he better get his sh!t together during the clay season, otherwise:wavey:

Start da Game
04-03-2010, 05:26 PM
unperturbed by the title drought since rome masters 2009........as he is not naturally talented, to play well on other surfaces he has to train and play well on clay first which is his real playground and then take that form and confidence to other surfaces........

these defeats in insignificant hardcourt tournaments are of zero effect........rafa knows what's happening with him........

NADALbULLS
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
He got his attacking game going brilliantly in the 2 hardcourt events, very good signs for clay (and he played very defensive last year on clay, even when winning).