Andy Roddick News Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Roddick News Thread

tangerine_dream
02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Andy's selling his Houston home. :eek:

lynnlovestennis All this can be urs for $4M asking. @andyroddick is selling his Austin shack.

http://realestalker.blogspot.com/2010/02/tennis-titan-andy-roddick-lists-austin.html

Heather1229
02-17-2010, 11:34 PM
It's apparently been on the market for awhile. I thought I had heard somewhere they were building another house but across the lake from the current house? Unless I had a dream about that....haha

Deboogle!.
02-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Interesting...

juliehardwick
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Selling the house in Austin -

http://www.examiner.com/x-37614-Austin-Market-Examiner~y2010m3d6-Andy-Roddick-and-Brooklyn-Deckers-Austin-home-up-for-sale

JeremyEli
03-08-2010, 04:16 AM
so i guess again it's holiday for andy in April till Rome . right?

Deboogle!.
03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes pretty much, he's playing a few exhibitions in the US for charity :help:

Heather1229
03-08-2010, 03:51 PM
In his defense though, his anniversary is coming up and Brooke's birthday too, would you really want to be hanging out in dirt when you could be celebrating? It's ok as long as he wins Wimbledon! :angel:

Deboogle!.
03-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Well I've just given up expecting to see him play a full clay schedule, which is fine, it's really just the exhbitions that are :o-worthy... I mean for most of them he is the only active player involved.

andymo
03-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Andy and the fly; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYZzio1sxJY

Heather1229
03-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I agree about the exhibitions, Deb. Kind of silly to do in the middle of the season, but they are all for good causes. Clay's not his favorite surface and never will be, so I'm going to give him a pass here, which means he better be prepared for IW and Miami, otherwise I take back the pass....:p

arodfanpe666o
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
For the clay season, he better rest be injury-free. On the grass and hard courts in summer he must make some noise. For the clay season, personally I don't care so much.

Deboogle!.
03-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, except that he actually has a decent number of points to defend from last year. The place he can really make up his points is everything after wimbledon where he got hurt and had very poor results in the few tourneys he did play.

andymo
03-10-2010, 01:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdgSZHMeUMk; Another pub with Andy.

tangerine_dream
03-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Interview with Andy Roddick, Part 1 (http://www.insidetennis.com/2010/03/andy-roddick-interview-part-1/)

by Bill Simons | Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010

As the telecast of America’s Davis Cup tie against Serbia was broadcast in Roddick’s living room, IT publisher Bill Simons spoke to the star about his wife Brooklyn, his rival Federer, his hero Agassi and the transformation of his career.

INSIDE TENNIS: We’re sitting here at your nice home. You travel the world. Talk about your lifestyle. Pretty darn good, yes?

ANDY RODDICK: It’s very good. I tell anyone who’ll listen that I probably won’t ever have a real job. I feel 95 percent of people don’t enjoy what they do. It’s a means to get the stuff they do enjoy or to get to the weekend. But I really do enjoy what I do and I definitely don’t take it for granted. I realize the reality of my situation.

IT: You’ve said your worst day is better than a lot of other people’s best…

AR: Yes. I got a lot of kind of condolences after Wimbledon with people asking, “Are you okay?” and I said, “I’m disappointed. Obviously, it was a little heart-breaking. But let’s put this is perspective. I got to play in one of the best Wimbledon finals ever. I got cheered and I’ll have those memories forever.” I look back and have a lot more great memories than bad ones. At times like that, you have to have a little respect. I was never going to feel sorry for myself.

IT: You’re right there playing in a classic. The whole world is watching you on the sport’s most hallowed court. What were your thoughts out there in the moment?

AR: I was as good as I’ve ever been at literally going to the next point. I wasn’t upset about anything – even when I had my chances in the second set breaker.

IT: Four set points.

AR: Even there, I got back and won the third set. I wasn’t thinking about all the extracurricular stuff. I know it’s big, but that’s a little bit lost on me. Two, three weeks later Tom Watson was at the British Open. Everybody was watching that. I said, “This is amazing. How cool is that?” And my buddy looked at me like I was stupid because just weeks before I was in the same situation.

IT: Do you ever think of that backhand volley at set point off of a floater that…?

AR: I’m the first person to say when I’ve choked shots or matches. That one wasn’t. The fact that I missed it badly made people remember. It was a high ball. The wind was gusty. I was dealing with whether to let it bounce. And the way Roger hits passing shots, you either put it away or you lose. So, I don’t think about that shot. That’s not a shot that won or lost the match.

IT: It’s said that you got more out of that loss than all your other wins combined.

AR: From a public perception standpoint, I would agree 100 percent. I was first the young up-and-coming, ah-shucks kid from Nebraska. Then the endorsements and the hype came and I have a bit of a temper. So then I was kind of a punk. Then there was the comeback story, and then there’s a comeback 2.0. After Wimbledon, for the first time I was presented as an Everyday Joe who works his tail off and tries his best every time, which is the way I view myself. I go about my business every day, I go to work and that’s it. So it was an interesting progression to see that change after one match.

IT: Do you think you’ve pretty much been the same meat and potatoes all along or have you…

AR: Everyone changes from 19 to 27. It’s a very interesting part of most people’s lives. I’ve just had an audience. But the core of me hasn’t changed too much. I’m probably a lot more of a homebody now. I wake up a lot earlier and I enjoy tennis a lot more. The way I was presented at any given time was an extreme version of myself.

IT: Were you as much of a punk as you were portrayed?

AR: I don’t think so. There was the failed [AmEx] mojo campaign. That adds to public sentiment. That’s not who I am at home or when I’m hanging out with my friends. We’ve all made good decisions. Obviously, that was a suspect one.

IT: Was the mojo campaign your answer to Agassi’s “Image is Everything” campaign?

AR: Probably. And there was Dan [O’Brien] and Dave [Johnson’s] Reebok campaign. A campaign is never any good if the athlete doesn’t produce. I lost in the first round at the Open, absolutely ruining and making a mockery of that campaign. If I had semifinaled, it would have been a great campaign.

IT: Tennis is such an individual sport — 20,000 people watching just two athletes. The public watches your evolution — from young exciting kid to man-child, all the struggles.

AR: It’s so weird because I was never outside the top 10. I guess mainstream America kind of checked out between ‘03 and the ‘06 U.S. Open final, which was my first comeback. Then, all of a sudden, it’s ‘09 and we’re at a Wimbledon final. In the three years in-between, I was still a top-10 player.

IT: Many contended the field caught up to…

AR: The field caught up to everybody. Tennis is deeper now than ever. I can confidently say that I would beat the ‘03 version.

IT: You’ve said that the 10-15 seconds after a big win is what it’s all about.

AR: That’s what you train for. That’s the great feeling. You close it out, it’s done. It’s a euphoric feeling.

IT: And your most euphoric feeling?

AR: I don’t think of the U.S. Open first. It was quick. [Winning the Davis Cup in] Portland was great because it was an eight-year process. It was a culmination, and it was about the guys, a different feeling. It wasn’t selfish. At the ‘06 U.S. Open, I had a blast because for the life of me, I couldn’t understand how I was getting the door shut on me at 24. Guys who were older were called “up-and-coming.” I was having trouble grasping that…[I had] a chip on my shoulder at that tournament, and I enjoyed that. Last year’s [Wimbledon] win against Lleyton [Hewitt] and then against [Andy] Murray in the semis, those were good.

IT: American men’s tennis, you can argue, has gone through some pretty clear eras. There were the dignified pioneers, Stan Smith and Arthur Ashe, then Jimbo and Mac, then the Fab Four. Since Sampras, Agassi, Courier and Chang stepped aside, you can say it’s been “The Andy Era.”

AR: You could say that. Tennis has just become so much more global. The talent pool is so much deeper. You used to look at the top 100 players and 30 were from Australia, 30 were from America, and then it was kind of spotty. What’s tennis in the U.S. — the 10th biggest, behind even extreme sports? Everywhere else it’s second, so their best athletes are going into it. It’s something I’ve dealt with throughout my career, being the guy. There is a sense of responsibility for holding up tennis, especially considering our tradition. But for every negative there are three positives. You can’t accept the positives and complain about the negatives.

IT: At one point, you spoke of how you were looking for your edge. You said, “Probably under my dresser.” You started to turn it around with Larry Stefanki and your future wife, Brooklyn, in your corner.

AR: We had a talk and I said to Brooke, “I honestly don’t know if my best tennis is behind me.” I was coming off a shoulder injury. I wasn’t playing great. We thought, “What do you want? Who do you want to work with? Who gets you excited? What are we going to change? Are we going to become a better athlete? The game is changing, so you’re not going to rely just on shotmaking anymore. It’s not two shots — you have to be able to move, to run.” So it was a tough time. I had to look at myself objectively. We took a risk. We dropped some weight. We started playing a little bit differently, incorporating slices, and incorporating changing to meet the demands of how the game had changed. And last year it worked, up until when I got hurt. But I was playing well.

IT: You said you see tennis in a different, more conscious way.

AR: You learn more about the game having been around it. What I did at the beginning of my career, having huge holes in my game, but being able to cover them up with strengths. I don’t think that would work now. You don’t see someone with just one shot.

IT: Some have said it was tough on your career that you won so big so early, with a game that wasn’t complete.

AR: It’s never a bad thing to win the Open. It’s never a bad time to make a Slam final. There was a lot to deal with afterward, because I had a personality. If I had been from a smaller market, someone who didn’t have the storylines behind him, who wasn’t a complete wiseass, there would have been a lot less to deal with. But I wouldn’t change a thing because what you go through shapes you as a person. You learn your lessons. I love my career, every second. The valleys are what make the peaks great. That what makes those 10 to 15 seconds after a win so sweet.

IT: You were once a thrower, now you’re a pitcher. You’re using slice more, you’re switching it up more.

AR: You have to make adjustments…There are some matchups where you can switch things up. You have an option. I’m always going to have my A game. My serve is always going to be my thing. I’m never going to turn into someone who spins it. It would be stupid not to use it. But if the A game’s not working, I feel like I can run. I can put the ball in play and I can haul ass for a couple of hours and be able to mix it up mid-match if something’s not working. There wasn’t a plan B before. The ‘05 U.S. Open was a perfect example. If I had a plan B, I would have gotten through that match. If I’d been able to chip it, stand way back, get returns in, make the guy think a bit as opposed to just hit, hit, hit, hit, hit.

IT: Does having those options take a little pressure off, knowing that you’re not always dependent on your fastball?

AR: It’s nice to have options.

IT: Plus, recently you’ve hit a few Fabrice Santoro-like dropshots?

AR: People ask me, “Do you enjoy that a lot more than hitting an ace?” I say, “You’re damn right I do!” I’ve hit 15,000 aces. The other ones, you’ve got to enjoy those a little more. It’s like hitting a hole-in-one as opposed to a couple of birdies.

IT: Larry Stefanki noted that people dismiss your wife Brooklyn, saying she’s just supermodel in a bathing suit. But he said she’s one tough cookie. She came up from Carolina to New York and worked her way to the top, she’s a self-starter.

AR: My favorite thing about Brooke is her drive. She loves working. She loves doing it. She moved from a very humble background in North Carolina to take a swing. “I’m going to move to New York by myself straight out of high school and live by myself.” It takes some stones. She’s very self-motivated. She works for what she gets. She hustles.

IT: And the SI cover was like her Wimbledon?

AR: She earned that cover through her personality and professionalism. She’ll tell you that there’s a lot of pretty girls. It’s huge. It’ll open a lot of doors. They just announced she got a role in a [Adam] Sandler movie. She’s all over the place. The last thing she ever wants to be is to be perceived as my wife. She could sit back, go to tournaments and sit in player lounges. That doesn’t interest her. We both realize we have limited shelf lifes. So we support each other in our goals. She’s a good soul. She doesn’t get too carried away with everything. She has a good head on her shoulders. To go into the fashion industry, which isn’t exactly the most morally sound industry that’s ever been created, at 16-17 and remain unaffected, is a testament to the way her parents raised her.

IT: Another person that’s pretty important in your life is a guy named Federer. If it weren’t for him, you might have a trophy or two more?

AR: It crosses your mind, but it isn’t something I obsess about. I get a lot of that from Joe-shmos: “Federer owns you.” But if you were compared to the best person that’s ever done what you do, you probably wouldn’t match up favorably. I have a lot of respect for Roger and the way he goes about his business. It would be a lot harder for me if I was losing to someone who didn’t respect the sport. What are you going to do? Next time I go out, I’m going to try as hard as I can again.

IT: Connors once said he was going to chase Bjorn Borg around the world until he got some wins. A while back you said you didn’t care if you had to chase Roger until you were 1-31. You’re now 2-19.

AR: Yeah, what are you going to do?

IT: Jimmy and John McEnroe were at each other’s throats.

AR: When I’m on the court, I don’t like anybody I’m playing. I get intense against James and Mardy, and they’re two of my best friends. That doesn’t mean I can’t respect how Roger handles himself. But there’s no laying down.

IT: What is it in his game that…

AR: His defense. That doesn’t get talked about. The way he’s able to convert defense into offense with a subtle little chip. He can do a lot of things with a racket like as if he was born with it. You can stick a return deep and he will flick a forehand to the opposite corner. He makes it look easy. That’s a really rough shot. It doesn’t make sense.

IT: Do we call that artistry?

AR: You can call it whatever you want. The point being, he makes a lot of the tougher shots look routine, regularly.

IT: He’s a great fighter.

AR: Everything is great when you’re winning. It’s easy to be a winner when you never lose. You know for that four-year run, when I was kind of in the middle of it and he was losing three matches a year, I don’t think you then get a true test of someone’s will. He’s just saying, “I’m better than you.” [But]last year at the French, when Rafa went out he knew this was his shot. Yet he was down to [Tommy] Haas, he knew that was his opportunity and dug in. He was down to [Juan Martin] Del Potro, dug in. That was a show of his will. He wasn’t the better player in a lot of those matches, but won the tournament. That was probably one of his more impressive Slams.

IT: What was your take on the tears in Australia after he lost to Nadal?

AR: My first reaction was, “Come on, Roger, you’ve won enough!” He did it because, obviously, he cared a lot, and he sensed Rafa legitimately had the upper hand. The other part of me was going, “Come on, you’ve done it 13 times. Let the guy have one.” I can honestly tell you in that moment, I had zero sympathy for Roger. And that’s not mean. We get along great. It was just nice to see he cared so much.

IT: Some are dismissive of your career, but when you break it down, you can argue that you’re the premier Davis Cup player of our era and, after Roger, the most consistent.

AR: The thing is, you can make top 10 on a hot streak once. You can make it on reputation twice. You can make it on whatever it is three times. It doesn’t happen eight times by accident. You have to have something there. You have to know the ins and outs a bit. You have to work real hard. You can probably make it into the top 10 on talent, but you have to have staying power. You have to respect what you do, work at it, and the longer I do, the more people will realize that aspect of it, which is gratifying. As far as being dismissed, you’re not going to believe me, but I don’t get that concerned. That’s someone’s opinion and I feel the people who know tennis will respect my resume and its length. If I have a basketball reporter commenting on tennis, and dismissing me, I don’t care. But not in an arrogant way. It doesn’t affect my morning. It’s forgotten. In order for it to bother me, I have to feel like the person honestly understands the ins and outs of what it takes to be a player.

IT: You’ve said Agassi, Lance Armstrong and Muhammad Ali were your heroes?

AR: There have been a lot of great athletes, but I put someone like Ali on a different pedestal. In the prime of his career he stood up for something he believed in and missed seven years of his prime. Someone like Lance, took his success and waged a war on cancer. Someone like Arthur [Ashe], who’s been a transcendent person, as far as HIV and Aids. Andre taking his leverage and becoming a leading philanthropist, and Billie Jean and her fight for equality. Those people are heroes. They’ve taken what they’ve done as athletes and used it as a soapbox for something that’s bigger than themselves.

IT: Tennis is an individual sport with lots of wealth. The top players are really brands unto themselves. Yet, our sport, has had some true visionaries.

AR: I don’t know why besides the fact that tennis is such a close-knit family. Every person we’ve mentioned, with the exception of Arthur, I’ve been able to have a personal relationship with throughout my career. I don’t know if that lineage. I don’t know if there is another sport where there is such a close connection between generations. The reason I started my foundation was because of Andre…He’s been completely revolutionary as far as athletic philanthropy goes.

IT: And your take on his using meth?

AR: I’m going to judge someone based upon how they’ve treated me personally and their effect on the world. Andre’s effect on the world has been unquestionably positive. But, I don’t judge someone for having a rough time in their life. A recovered alcoholic is celebrated. It was shocking to me how quickly the tennis world turned their back on Andre when he came out with this. I talked to Andre during this whole thing and he said his perspective was, “I was at the lowest of the low. I was depressed, I didn’t know why. I had this angst. I was using hard-core drugs. I got a second chance. I was able to rebound. If that can effect one person who’s in the space I was in and inspire them to get out of their rut…[after all] I got back to No. 1 in the world.” Andre really thinks his story is a tool for people who’re in a bad place.

IT: Yet Rafa was very critical and Roger said there was “a dark cloud over our sport?”

AR: I was disappointed in their statements. They’re level-headed. But I’m just amazed. Andre is possibly the biggest crossover star we’ve had and he built the business side up. [Yet] the majority of the tennis world just instantly wanted nothing to do with him, like hands off. It was surprising.

IT: What about Serena’s N.Y. implosion?

AR: She just got pissed. Listen, you probably got pissed and threw something against the wall because something happened at work. You probably dropped terrible language during the work day. She did it, it was televised, she snapped. The only thing was during her press conference she didn’t have it figured out.

At Home With Andy Roddick: A Day of Wonder (http://www.insidetennis.com/2010/03/home-andy-roddick/) :lol:

tangerine_dream
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Federer, Roddick a contrast in styles
by Richard Evans
March 25, 2010

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/roger-federer-andy-roddick-a-contrast-in-styles-032510

As a leading member of the supporting cast, Roddick knows exactly what Federer is talking about, but with Andy you get different sorts of answers. He can be flip, sarcastic and funny, and if that got him into trouble earlier in his career, regular tennis writers understand him now, too, and realize he is a good guy who loves and honors the game. And he will be a little more expansive than Federer, revealing more of himself as the emotion takes hold.

[. . .]

Inevitably, that led to a reference to the fact that his wife got a Sports Illustrated cover before he did.

“Yeah. Trust me, that fact wasn’t lost on her," Roddick said. "I promise you. She gave me a little crap. I said, after the Wimbledon final, three or four days afterwards, after I had started speaking again, I said to her, you’re going to get it before me. That was one of the things I was bitter about.”

The expression tells you how serious Andy is being. Or not. He can turn his sense of humor on himself as fast as one of his serves leaves his racket. But what you get from him is an “A" for effort. He’s still America’s No. 1. And he’s not going away.

Kate87
04-02-2010, 06:22 PM
FIRST LOOK: Andy Roddick Takes A ‘Challenge’ As Lacoste’s Newest Face

Think tennis ace Andy Roddick got pointers from his wife Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover model Brooklyn Decker for his new Lacoste campaign? Because he certainly looks like a pro! The all-American athlete was tapped as the newest face for Lacoste’s Challenge fragrance, following in the footsteps of actor Hayden Christensen. “I’m thrilled that Lacoste invited me to be the face of its men’s fragrance, Challenge,” Roddick says in a release. “This fresh, and dynamic fragrance represents well the image of Lacoste as a chic, sporty and elegant brand.” And the feeling is mutual. “We’re delighted to be working with Andy as the face of Lacoste Challenge as he is the natural embodiment of the brand’s youthful, modern image,” Christophe Chenut, CEO of Lacoste says in a release. The new ad campaign depicts a very cool and collected Roddick gazing just past the camera in a signature Lacoste black polo shirt. The fragrance, a mix of citrus and aromatic lavender, is available in stores now for $40-$60.

http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2010/04/02/first-look-andy-roddick-takes-a-challenge-as-lacostes-newest-face/

tangerine_dream
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Great photo! :yeah: I hope I see a full-page ad in next week's People magazine. :)

*edit*

Here's the pic without the Lacoste stuff on it.

Jade Fox
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice picture. I'm glad they didn't try to make him look like something that he's not.

Jimnik
04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
I know everyone's still celebrating :yeah: but moving forwards does anyone have any idea regarding his clay schedule?

Really hope he doesn't skip Rome again but it's been a while since he's played two Euro clay masters. 2005 was the last time and I can't see him doing it this year. He certainly doesn't want to risk injuring himself before grass season.

He had a good excuse last year but this time I don't think he'll avoid the fine for missing a mandatory event.

Deboogle!.
04-09-2010, 02:13 AM
It's my understanding that he's allowed to miss one because he's played more than 500 career matches. That said, I have no idea what he's planning to play.

andymo
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I heard that Andy is playing Madrid...but not 100% sure.

arodfanpe666o
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
I think he will play Madrid and RG, like last year.

Deboogle!.
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I mean Rome is the best clay masters for him to have success. he skipped it last year b/c he got married so obviously that was a good reason. can't imagine what his reason could be this year. He knows he won't be playing tons of matches in these masters, so he might just play them both. we'll see i guess.

Heather1229
04-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Rome because it's his anniversary and he wants to spend it with his wife? :) Just a thought....

lukeozade0405
04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I'll have a quick look a the bank account and see if I have enough to buy Arod's pad, If he throws in the boat he has a deal ;)

Deboogle!.
04-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Perhaps he doesn't want to play in Rome because it's his anniversary and he wants to spend it with his wife? :) Just a thought....true, brooke said he would be with her in hawaii then... I don't remember when he got married exactly. I thought it was before Rome but then they went on the honeymoon that cut into rome. Anyway it doesn't really matter, Andy's not going to have an awesome clay season either way :rolls: It's just a shame when he skips Rome because it's his best chance to pick up a few points most likely.

Deboogle!.
04-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Roddick To Endorse New Sports Beverage
Posted By: Darren Rovell | CNBC Sports Business Reporter
cnbc.com
| 09 Apr 2010 | 02:49 PM ET

Top ranked American tennis player Andy Roddick has a new sponsor in his bag.

The 27-year-old, who took the title at the Sony Ericsson in Miami last week and is now ranked seventh in the world, will be the main spokesman for a new sports beverage called Aqiss (pronounced a-kiss).:haha:

The sports drink market is already well saturated with the likes of Gatorade and Powerade, whose huge marketing power is hard to resist, but Aquiss Beverage Technologies is confident that it’s unique formulation will help it blast through the clutter.

Company officials say that they have a patent-pending biotechnology that involves something called nano-encapsulated “payloads,” filled with electrolytes and antioxidants, that deliver the drink’s nutrients faster than any other sports beverage. The encapsulation process, they say, results in the drink getting into the bloodstream faster and protects it from the acidic stomach, which can destroy the necessary nutrients before they are absorbed.

“We’re moving hydration to the next level,” said Rudy Prajza, the company president, who has been in the beverage business previously as the worldwide account director for Coca-Cola while working at advertising agency McCann-Erickson. “Aqiss is essentially an oral IV. We start to see full absorption in minutes.”

Prajza said he picked Roddick because he was looking to find someone who is known to sweat a lot. :spit: :haha: :rolls: :haha: :haha: :haha: Prajza said that athletes who sweat the most play tennis and squash and Roddick, he found, is in the top five percent of pro players in terms of perspiration. :haha: :haha: :haha:

"I sweat like three times more than average human does for whatever reason," said Roddick, who has been using the product since this year’s Australian Open. "I was definitely looking for something that could help with that and I haven't used anything better. It gets into my system much faster. I can feel it."

The product will come in two flavors, orange and lemon-lime, and will debut on the company’s Web site in May. Aqiss will be sold in Canada first and then in the United States. It will debut here in July, ahead of the US Open, when Roddick’s marketing power is at its height, with plans to unveil bottles it at retail at a major southern chain. The company will develop one product formulated for competitive athletes and one for everyday use.

Aqiss costs $3 for a two-ounce bottle of liquid concentrate. Drinkers than fill up the rest of the liter bottle with water.

“If think of it as a 20-ounce drink, it’s $1.69,” Prajza said.

This is Roddick’s third sports drink deal since turning pro in 2000. He has previously endorsed Powerade, and a signature product for Arizona Beverage, makers of Arizona Iced Tea.

This deal made sense, his agent Ken Meyerson said, because of the quality of the product and the financials of the deal. Roddick gets shares in the company.

"The good thing though is that Andy is hotter than ever," Meyerson said. "He’s playing great tennis and he is of course married to the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model (Brooklyn Decker).”:retard:

Prajza says Roddick will make a mint if the drink lives up to his expectations. He says he believes the company can do $200 million in sales in two years time, which would lead to the company being valued at more than $1 billion.

"It's definitely not your typical endorsement deal," Roddick said. "I'm at a point in my career where I don't need the quick hit deals. It will be nice to grow with this brand."

Prajza said the company will use a range of viral marketing on Facebook and Twitter to get the word out and will eventually have some limited television advertising.

Roddick also endorses Lacoste, Babolat, SAP, which he just renewed for another three years, and Lagardere, the management company that represents him. Aqiss will not have any branding rights on Roddick's shirt.

Heather1229
04-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Deb, you never know, this could be his best clay season ever Andy could win the FO! :angel: (or....pigs will fly first..)

That article about the beverage endorsement is incredibly hilarious. Imagine the conversation "Hey Andy, you sweat a TON. So we're going to have you endorse our drink." Ken's comments are kind of creepy weird though, how is Andy super hot right now because his wife was on the cover of SI? Wouldn't that make Brooke the one who's popular at the moment? I like to think that at the end of the day they don't care about each other's careers and just hang out like the rest of us and live normal lives and Ken just took it to a creepy place. :rolleyes:

Kate87
04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
guess who was on The Dan Patrick Show yesterday :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Andy Roddick on tennis, football and Brooklyn Decker (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/105841/index.html)

Fee
04-10-2010, 06:24 PM
The Atlantic City event is being filmed for Tennis Channel to air at a later date (probably edited down to one hour). Since James had to pull out, they changed the format to one set round robins between Andy, Marat, and Pete after Mats and Lendl play their set. Smitty is there so hopefully she'll have some photos to share with us tomorrow. :)

Viky-cro
04-11-2010, 09:49 PM
http://blog.gvtnews.com/2010/04/11/andy-roddick-and-marat-safin-news-conference-from-the-caesars-tennis-clasic-in-atlantic-city.aspx?ref=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tennismusiclover
04-11-2010, 11:18 PM
uh wow...thanks...marat was royally ignored and is anybody else annoyed by all the andy-praising going around??? a

Kate87
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Safin, Sampras think Roddick can win another Slam
April 11, 2010

During an exhibition in Atlantic City, both Marat Safin and Pete Sampras have said that Miami champion Andy Roddick has a chance to win another Grand Slam. The top-ranked American hasn’t won one since the 2003 US Open.

“He’s playing very well now and it can’t get any better than beating Nadal,” Safin said of Roddick’s semifinal victory in Miami. “Andy is moving incredibly well, his backhand is working, the serve and forehand will always be there and he has a very good chance to do well at Wimbledon.”

Sampras added, “I think he realizes now when he plays top players that he has to do more than just stay back and rally. He’s right there. He just needs to believe and step up and try to do it.

http://tennis.com/ticker/

Jimnik
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm starting to like Andy's chances of getting a top 4 seed for Wimbledon.

He only needs to be within 300pts of Murray and 1,000pts of Del Potro to overtake them both with the adjusted seeding formula.

Murray just dropped another 350pts in MC and Del Potro is still injured.

Deboogle!.
04-14-2010, 06:01 PM
well that would certainly be nice. Him doing decently on the clay season and at queens would definitely help.

Jimnik
04-14-2010, 06:04 PM
It's my understanding that he's allowed to miss one because he's played more than 500 career matches. That said, I have no idea what he's planning to play.
Fair enough. I just read this from another thread:

A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones:
1) 600 matches (as of 1 January of the commitment year)
2) 12 years of service
3) 31 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year)
If all three (3) conditions are met then the player has a complete exemption from the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 player commitment.
The first Year of Service shall be the first calendar year in which a player has competed in at least twelve (12) tournaments offering ranking points.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=9793642&postcount=10

So I guess he's only compelled to play 7 Masters a year now. But he has to play either Rome or Paris to fulfill that commitment so I wonder which he'll choose. I guess he had a good excuse to skip both last year. :shrug:

Jimnik
04-14-2010, 06:07 PM
well that would certainly be nice. Him doing decently on the clay season and at queens would definitely help.
Indeed. He has to win Queens to improve his ranking points but in terms of grass results for the seeding formula it will make a bigger difference.

Deboogle!.
04-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Fair enough. I just read this from another thread:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=9793642&postcount=10

So I guess he's only compelled to play 7 Masters a year now. But he has to play either Rome or Paris to fulfill that commitment so I wonder which he'll choose. I guess he had a good excuse to skip both last year. :shrug:I think if you get out of an event with a valid injury, that doesn't count. Andy's in LA with Brooklyn and will apparently go to Hawaii whenever she goes for the movie, so god knows when he'll even touch a clay court. LA is not exactly brimming with them. So who knows. Too bad though b/c he'd have a chance at a few rounds in Rome, which would be a total points gain, and that'd help him immensely. But, his problem not ours :)

Indeed. He has to win Queens to improve his ranking points but in terms of grass results for the seeding formula it will make a bigger difference.Yep, definitely.

Selby
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
I actually think that if Andy really committed to it, he could have the best clay season of his career given the way he plays but the thing is it just doesn't worth the effort IMO.
I mean, what's the best he can possibly get from doing that? Quarters in the French open? That's just doesn't worth the risk of burning out before Wimbledon, that's the last thing he would want to happen.
So I wouldn't really mind if he shows up only for one of the Masters 1000 without any clay practice. But it would be nice if he could get to the second week of the French Open again.
As for the seeding in Wimbledon, obviously being the 4th seed can be a huge bonus especially since he wouldn't be able to meet Federer in the Quarters, but I don't know how realistic it is. Maybe if Murray has a huge slump...

Deboogle!.
04-14-2010, 09:05 PM
yep, I agree. and I'm sure Andy agrees, especially since the summer HC season starts shortly after Wimbledon so it's not like he has ages to recover after that. I'm sure that's why he's never given it 110% for the clay season, which sucks b/c who knows how much better he could've done over the years but you are right, on the other hand, it's unlikely he would've ever been able to win any of these titles, so he might as well just focus on grass. he's made it extremely clear that wimbledon is his biggest main goal and that that's where he's focusing all his energy. He'd be stupid to burn himself out right before it - mentally or physically.

arodfanpe666o
04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm definitely with you for this. Totally agree. He could have become a solid clay court player, but at this point of his career it would be better for him to rest now. He played a lot of matches this year. Madrid/Rome and Rg is fine for me.

And yes, the summer hard court season is starting right after Wimbledon. And there he has a chance for success on these masters (canada and cincy) and of course USO. If it's not Wimbledon, I wouldn't mind one more USO title, you? :P
So, he must be fresh for London and the summer. Like Deboogle said, mentally and phisically.

Kate87
04-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Part 2 of the awesome Inside Tennis Interview is finally here :D

Being Andy Roddick
by Bill Simons |
Monday, April 19th, 2010

INSIDE TENNIS: You’ve talked about the 10 to 15 seconds after a match as the key, when it all feels so worth it, all the work, all the practice. But Andre Agassi said that the key for him was the 10 minutes before he went to bed, that he’s been cheered and booed in stadiums around the world, but there’s nothing worse than booing yourself in those minutes before sleep.

ANDY RODDICK: I sleep well at night because I know pretty much everything I do on a daily basis is what I should be doing. Andre’s thing was more along the lines of not doing the things he should have been doing, and that was the reason for his loss of sleep. I rarely feel I lose a match because I didn’t work hard enough, so that part makes it easier.

IT: You’re such a huge sports fan. What kind of lesson do you take from watching sports?

AR: I’m thankful that I play a sport because it gives me a chance. I respect the heck out of every sport. I think about what athletes have to have to do to train, because a lot of people just see the end result, and they think the players just go out and play a match, but there are a million mornings in cold weather that you’re out there on the track. My curiosity makes me wonder what these guys do on a daily basis. That fascinates me.

IT: And if you could just press a button and play another sport.

AR: Quarterback would be fun. You have to be extremely intelligent to be a quarterback, very smart. That’s one of the toughest positions.

IT: In tennis, do you have to be a little bit like an NFL cornerback who may get beat on one big play, but has to come back right away and be ready for the next. They have to master the art of amnesia.

AR: You get back up. It’s either that or retire, and I’m not going to do that. What the hell else am I going to do?

IT: There’s always disco bowling.

AR: That doesn’t pay as well. Are you going to sit around and feel sorry for yourself? No. You get back up and work. You could have a bad day at Inside Tennis. You could lose an advertiser. The next day, you try and find another advertiser. That’s just what you do. I don’t think of it as a skill. It’s not something you acquire. It’s just being given the two options, and it’s a pretty clear answer.

IT: But you’ve had so many tough losses: at the French Open, to Richard Gasquet at Wimbledon in ‘07, to Gilles Muller at the Open in ‘05. And, of course, to Roger Federer. Which have been the toughest to swallow?

AR: Roger in ‘09 was one of the toughest. But I have so many great memories from last year. Then tennis was being discussed around the water cooler for two, three weeks afterwards. That was awesome. So there are so many more positives from that. Gasquet was tough. But at the French Open, if we’re being realistic, I know there’s a roof as far as what I can do. I’d love to go further, but it doesn’t affect the way I train. The hardest time in my career was after Wimbledon in ‘06. I hadn’t played well the entire first part of the year. But in the back of my mind, there was always Wimbledon. I’d semied, finaled, finaled. It’s a place where I consistently play well. Not a lot of people play well on grass. But I lost to Andy Murray, who at the time was 18 or 19. That was the hardest time, getting back up.

IT: You saw how Serena Williams lost it at the U.S. Open last year. Talk about your own temper. You’re not an Ilie Nastase, you’re not a John McEnroe, you’re not a Jimmy Connors, but…

AR: I get pissed. A lot of times I get mad when I don’t feel prepared going into a tournament. As a result, I don’t play as well as I should. That’s when I have my worst tantrums and meltdowns.

IT: There was a Wimbledon…

AR: I don’t remember [Laughs]. When I feel prepared, healthy, ready to go, I rarely lose it. I’m able to keep it together a little more. Those little feelings of not being ready enough manifest in that way.

IT: You’re pretty intense on the court, but you can also be a pretty funny guy, a wise guy. Talk about your sense of humor. Where did it come from?

AR: I don’t even think it’s humor. It’s just honesty that manifests itself in the way of being funny. I don’t know if I try to protect myself from my own answers. I feel like a lot of athletes do that.

IT: You once had a whole comic shtick on how all you once did was munch Cheetos and blast your forehand. But then you changed and really worked hard on your game. But you still missed your Cheetos.

AR: I worked really hard during the ‘05 off-season and in ‘06 really didn’t haven’t much to show for it because I was playing like a bum. I was fighting that battle between “Gosh, I was a lot more undisciplined than I am now when I was No. 1 in the world. Now I’m doing all the right things and it’s not going the way I want it to. I said something along the lines of how I used to sit back after a match and eat four bags of Cheetos and then go out and rip someone the next day. That was my doubt, at that moment. That was frustrating.

IT: So you still miss your Cheetos?

AR: Well, Cheetos are good. [Laughs.] If I’m busting my butt all this time and not getting the rewards…

IT: Speaking of rewards, you said you originally had four goals, and you’ve achieved three of them — winning the U.S. Open, rising to No.1 and winning the Davis Cup. Not a bad track record. Now it’s down to Wimbledon.

AR: If you were told me when I turned pro at 17 that I would have the career I’ve had, I wouldn’t have thought twice, I would’ve taken it. But, obviously, when you accomplish things you probably readjust. I want that Wimbledon title very badly, and I feel I’m ready for it. There’s probably a sense of entitlement as far as that tournament goes because I’ve played well there so many times. So yes, that would mean a lot.

IT: Talk about Wimbledon, the setting, the pomp, the…

AR: I love it. I buy in wholeheartedly. All the little traditions, all the little practicing in Aorangi Park, not being allowed on the grounds, I love it. There’s no middle ground and that’s what makes it awesome, too, because you either love it or hate it. I love staying in the little Wimbledon Village. I love how Wimbledon is tucked into a neighborhood. I’m cruising by and I see you walking toward the courts. You see familiar faces around the village. Everything about it.

IT: And Centre Court?

AR: It’s the Cathedral. It’s the Fenway Park of tennis. That’s the one that’s got the aura and the magic. The AO is the friendly Slam — everyone’s in a good mood, it’s the start of the year the people are really friendly. Everything is convenient. The USO is the show. It’s big on the fireworks and the night sessions. And Wimbledon — it’s the tradition, it’s the Mecca it doesn’t need to have all the show because it’s an entity unto itself.

IT: Tiebreakers have been pretty important to your career. What’s the key in playing them?

AR: I don’t play them much differently. There’s a lot more pressure on my opponents. If I hit an average return in the middle of the court, that first ball is a lot harder to hit at 4-all in a tiebreaker. If you miss it, I have two serves coming, as opposed to you being up 30-15 in the service game. I don’t know if I step up and play that much better. I’ve had a lot of success with them in my career. It suits my game well.

IT: A lot of people say that your greatest strength is your fight. Even you said, “I’m the best bad player ever.”

AR: I always hear how great all these guys hit the ball. I hear about Gasquet’s backhand. People just drool over it forever and you hear so-and-so’s this and so-and-so’s that. And then I hear how I can’t really do anything but yet I beat all these guys consistently. And that kind of lends itself to me being a really good bad player.

IT: Sandy Mayer really cracked you.

AR: Sandy Mayer would have had to have been better at tennis to crack me. That’s the way I approach that one. I can take that sort of criticism from probably very few people.

IT: You talked about Gasquet’s backhand. There are a lot of great forehands — James Blake, Juan Martin Del Portro, Fernando Gonzalez come to mind. Give me your top one or two.

AR: Roger has the best forehand.

IT: It’s the most punishing?

AR: His ball is in the middle of the court. Being able to go the other way, with pace, without pace, inside-out angles, he controls most matches with his forehand from the middle of the court.

IT: And if you had to choose one backhand.

AR: Rafa’s got a great backhand. And no one talks about it because everyone one likes talking about the pretty one-handers. The shot that looks great is a shotmaking shot because you see it on a highlight reel and it looks great. Rafa’s is solid. Every single one is heavy. His ability to mix up the height on it, the way he passes off of it. He has a great backhand. Murray’s is great, too.

IT: Because all the variety he…

AR: It’s the same with Roger. He hits a slice, his backhand return is great, he can rally, rally, rally with almost the same swing, but really it’s two times faster.

IT: And the serve? John Isner, Ivo Karlovic?

AR: You can’t teach 6-foot-10. You can’t. Everyone used to freak out because [Richard] Krajicek was 6-foot-5. That’s normal now. That’s nothing. Now you have Del Porto, who, no offense to Krajicek and Todd [Martin], but they weren’t the fastest dudes on the court. Now you have guys like [Marin] Cilic and Del Portro who can run.

IT: The volley?

AR: Roger volleys well. Roger puts himself in position to volley well with a lot of his approach shots. I think Stepanek volleys great. I’m going to take Roger out of a lot of these conversations because he does everything pretty well.

IT: And toughness?

AR: I always think of Lleyton [Hewitt] first. Rafa, obviously, never gives you anything. You know who I’m a huge fan of David Ferrer. I just love how he’s maxed his game as much as anybody. You look at him you don’t say, “That shot was God-given.” You don’t look at him and say, “He does this amazing.” The guy competes his ass off every single time and doesn’t give an inch. And he’s made himself into a hell of a tennis player.

IT: How about speed?

AR: That’s the biggest difference in tennis. You go back and watch old videos, everybody moves now, everybody runs now. You used to have guys in the top 10 who didn’t move that well. Everybody moves well nowadays. That’s where the game has changed. I feel like conditions have slowed down, and people have gotten faster as a result of it. You have new technology that allows people to top out. Sam [Querrey] is 6-foot-7 and look at the way he moves up to a drop shot. It’s insane. The athletes have just become so much better.

IT: You chose to live in Austin — a relatively small city that’s not exactly a tennis Mecca, but a town that loves its sports.

AR: That’s kind of by design. They’re very interested in UT [University of Texas] football. They’re very interested in Lance Armstrong, and that’s pretty much where it ends, and that’s probably one of my favorite things about Austin. I don’t want to be in a place where I’m getting asked about tennis when I’m going for coffee. I love Austin because it’s an extremely unaffected place. There are a lot of well-known people who live here who can go about their day-to-day business.

IT: Andre used to talk about driving up to Roland Garros, how it looked like a monster. But the UT stadium — I’ve never seen a more imposing athletic facility.

AR: And they keep adding to it — 20,000 seats every year. But it’s a little bit hard for me because I’m a Husker [University of Nebraska] fan, so I’m living in the belly of the beast. I got a call late in 2007 from the Nebraska athletic department asking if I wanted to sit with [former Nebraska coach] Tom Osborne during the UT-Nebraska game. So I was like, “Okay, it’s in a suite. No problem.” That was Brook’s first Nebraska game and she really didn’t understand the significance of it all. So Nebraska is actually winning that game in the fourth quarter and all of a sudden the entire crowd is booing. And I didn’t really think much of it, and it went on for six to seven seconds and I’m like, “Gosh what’s the hell’s going on here?” So I look up on the big screen and sure enough it’s because I’m sitting next to Osborne.”

IT: What was it like to look up and see Tiger Woods in Federer’s box during the U.S. Open final. An American sporting icon supporting the Swiss instead of you?

AR: I guess I was just wondering where the business parallels were going to draw the line. I thought it was very convenient, the Nike, IMG connection. I was trying to tell myself more that it was a business decision as opposed to a patriotic decision.

IT: And when Pete Sampras came in early at Wimbledon when you played Federer?

AR: Well, that’s completely different. When the potential is there for a major record to be broken, it’s a classy thing to do for the person whose record is being broken to be present to pass the torch. Roger could have been playing anybody there.

IT: The tennis field is so tough now. There are all these 21-year-olds kicking butt. Federer. And Rafa when he’s healthy. Do you feel a clock ticking?

AR: There’s always a clock ticking. I’m not delusional that I’m not on the last third of my career. But I work hard. It doesn’t really change anything as far as day-to-day preparations.

IT: It doesn’t put any pressure on you?

AR: No. I’ve been dealing with one form of pressure or another, kind of carrying the weight of my country as far as an entire sport goes. It’s always there. But that’s what you want as an athlete. If you’re dealing with pressure that means you’re good enough for people to expect something out of you.

IT: What was the sweetest moment of your career? You’ve had so many. It doesn’t have to be on the tennis court.

AR: I don’t know. I really, really, really enjoyed the post-Wimbledon sentiment last year. If we’re talking about off court. I felt like I got an accurate portrayal of myself publicly for one of the first times, which selfishly, I enjoyed.

IT: So break that down.

AR: I lost a match, but there was a sense of appreciation. And it’s not there all the time. I don’t deserve to have it all the time. It was nice in that small dose. I also loved that tennis was the lead story for a week afterward in this country.

IT: Does it piss you off that it’s so often kicked to the fourth page or just agate?

AR: Yeah. I loved to have it up front. During Wimbledon, there’s always a “Murray watch.” “He ate a snickers bar at 4:36 in the afternoon and proceeded to have three gulps of Gatorade to wash it down.” That’s probably a little much. But, obviously, I’d love it to be at that height all the time.

IT: A sage in white robes comes down from the mountaintop and says “Okay, Mr. Roddick, what’s your dream? What would you really like in your career?

AR: If I had Wimbledon, I’d have everything I want.

IT: So when it’s all said and done, it sounds like your saying this has been a pretty great run, no regrets, but you would still like to get a Wimbledon.

AR: No big regrets. There are regrets. I don’t know if I’d change anything because everything I’ve done, either positively or negatively, has led me to this place where I’m very happy.

[I]RODDICK REVIEW

WHAT MAKES ANDY WIN?:

• Sill an ace. He’s No. 2 in aces behind Karlovic.

• First service efficiency and best in the game ability to hold serve (he’s held 91 percent of the time this year and held 96 percent of the time in Miami)

• Ability to play with freedom and take risks outside his comfort zone

• His willingness to tweak his game

• His newfound ability to slice, come to net and flatten his forehand

• His increased fitness and ability to move

• Better tactics and court sense

• His love of the game

• The positive influence of his wife

A FORMULA FOR SUCCESS: Justin Gimbelstob said the last two sets of Roddick’s semi against Nadal in Miami “served as a template for what Andy needs to do and can do in order to challenge anyone in this game.”

BILLIE JEAN TO GET INTO SKATEBOARDING?: After seeing a skateboarding bulldog at the Sony Ericsson Open player party, Roddick tweeted that he needed “to go out and buy a doggy skateboard,” and admitted he was going to become an “overbearing skateboard father really soon. How cool would it be if my dog [Billie Jean] could skateboard around?”

FROM CHEETOHS TO WHOLE FOODS: Uber-coach Larry Stefanki has become a food critic, noting that his pupil Roddick “was a TGI Friday’s and Chili’s boy, and with that type of diet — nachos, meat and potatoes — you work five hours a day and you’re re-polluting your body. Now Andy is a Whole Foods, organic kind of guy.”

THE ‘LINGERING’ QUESTION: Linda Robertson noted, “Roddick still has the scariest serve in tennis…[and] his shirt-yanking tic. He still zings like a stand-up comedian. And, even at age 27, Roddick still wears a baseball cap backward…But Roddick is a changed man, too…Maybe the new Andy Roddick can do something the old Andy Roddick hasn’t done in seven years: win a Grand Slam.”

http://www.insidetennis.com/2010/04/andy-roddick/

Selby
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
It's amazing how humble Andy is, this is a very good interview.

andymo
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Amazing interview, so humble, so interesting. I could hear him talk nonstop.His interviews are the best read. No other player can deliver like that. He is the one and only one. I hope that he wins Wimbledon so that his 4 goals will be completed.

OnyxRose
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I love reading his interviews; they're so insightful. No other player deserves Wimbledon as much as Andy; he wants it so much.

Viky-cro
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
He is out of Rome Masters due to continued fatigue. http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010/04/21/roddick-and-davydenko-out-of-roma-masters/

He is probably enjoying Hawaii too much :P

arodfanpe666o
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
It was expected. So, it's gonna be Madrid and RG for the clay season. It is enough I think.

Heather1229
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
I'd rather see him play less on clay and I don't even care what his reasoning is, enjoy Hawaii! He needs to be healthy and ready for the grass!

tangerine_dream
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Andy has his priorities right. Making love to his wife on the Hawaiian beaches takes precedence over playing on the boring Euroclay. :p

Deboogle!.
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Fatigue?:haha: I love how they make them give a reason. Why not just let them say, this is the one a year I'm taking a pass on. Bye.

Tangy :rolls:

Heather1229
04-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Hahahaha, Tangy! Maybe that's the excuse he actually gave and the tournament concluded he had fatigue! :p

Winston's Human
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Hahahaha, Tangy! Maybe that's the excuse he actually gave and the tournament concluded he had fatigue! :p

Particularly if the tournament director is a man.

Heather1229
04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
So "fatigue" has changed to "personal reasons" for the withdrawl from Rome.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hmSNTV8qDJ2VZegKVDLF2AMzCveQD9F8ODG00

Deboogle!.
04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Well that makes more sense, that's the standard, sorry i dont want to play here excuse:lol:

Heather1229
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
The fatigue really didn't fly, haha! I'm glad that he's taking some time off to train and hang out with Brooke. He wants Wimbledon so badly that I wouldn't care if he took off until Queens! However, his ranking might care...

Deboogle!.
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, he should at least use Madrid and RG as an opportunity to make sure he's match tough for the grass. Also, it's going to be really close between a top 4 ranking and not, which would help him a lot. Even if his ranking doesn't suffer number-wise, it will point-wise and that could be the difference depending on what the non-grass guys around him do.

Heather1229
04-23-2010, 04:42 PM
True, Deb. It will be interesting to see how the rankings do shake out after RG. The ATP rankings are starting to turn into the WTA, but it does at least make it interesting and it's exciting to see other people winning for a change!

Kate87
05-04-2010, 05:02 PM
ummmmmmmm :unsure: :confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/best.dressed.athletes/content.16.html

Heather1229
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh gosh, Kate! My sentiments exactly, yikes! I love Andy and all but best dresser?! :eek:

Deboogle!.
05-04-2010, 06:52 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:

partygirl
05-04-2010, 08:17 PM
ummmmmmmm :unsure: :confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/best.dressed.athletes/content.16.html:spit::rolls:

...Anything for sports illustrated not to praise Federer.:lol:

andymo
05-04-2010, 08:31 PM
:spit::rolls:

...Anything for sports illustrated not to praise Federer.:lol:

Fed did not make the list and Andy did......haha unbelievable but I like it.

OnyxRose
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Seriously? Seriously? :confused:

partygirl
05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
I heard from EDEN Andy might play Basel this year, is it confirmed?

...if so it's official, Andy is in love with Roghair.
:)

Eden
05-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I heard from EDEN Andy might play Basel this year, is it confirmed?

...if so it's official, Andy is in love with Roghair.
:)

It is official Larah :) Andy is playing in Basel for the first time since 2003:

The eyes of the tennis world turn to Basel

In the ephemeral world of sport, monumental events like the Davidoff Swiss Indoors Basel are a rarity and an expression of quality. One year on from its inclusion in the premium class of the ATP World Tour 500 events, the world’s third largest indoor tournament is celebrating its 40th jubilee with an outstanding show, which will have tennis fans all over the world looking forward to Basel with great anticipation. This year’s field will be headed by the sublime Roger Federer (ATP 1), the Serbian title holder Novak Djokovic (ATP 2) and America’s great comeback-king Andy Roddick (ATP 7), three absolute superstars.

Roddick – back again after a seven-year break

After a break of seven years, the public will be treated to another chance to see America’s mature comeback-king Andy Roddick. The ace-machine with his cannonball service will be making his appearance under his new coach, Larry Stefanki, eight kilos lighter and correspondingly more successful, after treating himself to a physical course of fresh cell therapy. In Indian Wells Roddick stormed his way into the final, and then went on to take the title two weeks later in Miami at the Players Championships in Florida. The American has fond memories of Basel where he lost to a certain Roger Federer at the quarter-final stage in both 2001 and 2002. In 2003 the Texas star progressed to the semi finals, before being eliminated by the Argentinian David Nalbandian.

Source: http://www.davidoffswissindoors.ch/News.411+M5c87db6ead4.0.html

arodfanpe666o
05-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Good news. Basel is great tournament and I will be happy to see Andy play. It's a fast court, he can do well. :)

Deboogle!.
05-06-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll believe it when he shows up. I Can't remember the last time Andy played a full fall schedule for one reason or another

Viky-cro
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.prlog.org/10665364-tennis-legend-john-mcenroe-to-take-on-andy-roddick-in-world-teamtennis-ny-sportimes-match-july-14.html

tangerine_dream
05-08-2010, 02:56 AM
USTA :o

http://www.insidetennis.com/2010/05/pmac-roddick-grew-tired-usta-demands/

PMac: Roddick Grew Tired of USTA Demands
U.S. Captain Warns USTA to Be 'Careful Not to Alienate Top Players'
by Richard Osborn
May 6th, 2010

No one can question Andy Roddick’s allegiance when it comes to Davis Cup. In 23 ties dating back to 2001, the Texan has compiled 31 singles victories for the U.S., second only to Cup stalwart Johnny Mac’s 41. Injuries aside, he’s always been there when his country has come calling.

When, in January, the 27-year-old announced that he would forgo the entire 2010 Davis Cup campaign due to a lingering knee injury, it was clear that it was a difficult, emotional decision.

“I’ll miss it, for sure,” said Roddick at the Australian Open. “It’s been a big part of my career so far. I don’t know if I’ve shut the door on as far as forever goes. We made the decision later on last year. That’s when my knee was still hurt. We didn’t think it was smart to be switching surfaces from hard to clay to hard, time zones, all that. Probably want to do that as few times in the year as we had to. That played a big part.”

Roddick then echoed Andre Agassi (whom Patrick McEnroe pulled back into Davis Cup service in 2005), saying, “I never wanted to be one of these guys who played when it was convenient. I feel like if you commit at the beginning of the year, then you commit. Last thing I’d want to do is have those guys go battle early in the year, then me waltz in and try to play later in the year when they’ve been the ones to get the team to that point.”

But there’s apparently more to the story. In his book “Harcourt Confidential: Tales From Twenty years In the Pro Tennis Trenches” (co-written by Peter Bodo and due in bookstores in June), PMac claims that by the end of 2009, Roddick “was growing a little tired of the extraneous demands of Davis Cup.”

“He was pissed by the way the USTA started nitpicking the players’ phone bills, or insisting that Mike Bryan’s girlfriend take a cab and pay her own way to the airport when she had to leave a tie a day early,” writes McEnroe, whose Davis Cup contract runs through 2011. “It was petty stuff, easily averted, and a transparent attempt by the USTA to show who’s in charge. But the reality is that the USTA has to be careful not to alienate the top players.”

- - - -

*EDIT*

http://www.fathead.com/tennis/andy-roddick/andy-roddick/?cm_mmc=CJ-_-affil-_-1006-_-hp

:D

Andy Roddick is a Big FatHead

Andy Roddick, Tommy Haas and Aleksandra Wozniak join the Fathead Team

LIVONIA, Mich., May 10 /PRNewswire/ -- Fathead®, the leading brand in sports and entertainment graphic products, serves up the dramatic likenesses of three of tennis' most popular and captivating professional tennis players in the world. Led by American tennis superstar Andy Roddick, he is joined by top 20 ATP World Tour singles player Tommy Haas, and top WTA Tour Singles Player Aleksandra Wozniak. Fathead is best known for its officially licensed images of professional athletes, animated heroes, entertainment characters, team helmets and logos.

Fathead's new trio of tennis players have each entered into multi-year agreements with Fathead. Roddick and Haas will be the first players on the ATP World Tour to brand Fathead images that capture the players in eye-catching, on-court action. Wozniak is only the second player on the WTA Tour, following Maria Sharapova, to join the Fathead tennis roster.

"We are thrilled to have three of our clients at Lagardere Unlimited join the Fathead tennis roster. With Andy and Tommy being the first ATP players on Tour to have their own Fathead images, I am confident their international popularity will grow the Fathead brand and products amongst the tennis fans and industry tremendously," commented Ken Meyerson, President of Lagardere Unlimited. "I am excited to have a Fathead and hope tennis fans enjoy this fun promotion," added Andy Roddick.

These three accomplished athletes join the Fathead Team with astonishing tennis resumes. Roddick is a current Top 10 ATP World Tour singles player, the 2003 US Open Champion and recent 2010 Sony Ericsson Open Champion. Haas, who has been ranked as high as No. 2 in the world, is known for his powerful single-handed backhand and incredible ability to adapt to his opponent's style or the court surface. Wozniak is Canada's highest-ranked women's singles player in the world, known for her one-two punch of a huge backswing followed by a lightning fast whip-through.

"Today, through an exciting new partnership with Lagardere Unlimited, we are able to provide fans of Andy, Tommy and Aleksandra's with Fatheads of these incredibly popular tennis stars," said Nathan Partington, Fathead VP of Licensing.

A "Fathead" is a big, bold, life-size wall-graphic and has become the "must-have" item for fans of everything! Real. Big. Fathead athletes are approximately 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide and come with cool extra images for added impact and value. Fatheads are designed with a special adhesive backing that enables them to be placed and moved from any surface with no damage. The Roddick, Haas and Wozniak images can be purchased at www.fathead.com.

tangerine_dream
06-03-2010, 08:13 PM
Andy will be on the Jonathan Ross show again tomorrow night (Friday, June 4). :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/i/512xn/e7be8a4f7732f7ba63db47a7fe2f735d0fa90346.jpg

Guests: Andy Roddick, LL Cool J, Nina Wadia, Nitin Ganatra, Eminem. (http://www.tv.com/friday-night-with-jonathan-ross/andy-roddick-ll-cool-j-nina-wadia-nitin-ganatra-eminem./episode/1342775/summary.html?tag=next_episode;thumb)
It's that time of year when a token tennis player arrives to talk about, well, tennis. :lol: LL Cool J saunters in, two bargain basement Eastenders replace Christina Aguilera and there's music from Eminem.

- - -

Also, moniquesourdif twitters this:

Pick up The Daily Telegraph on Saturday you will find a special AEGON British Tennis supplement featuring an interview with Andy Roddick.

JamieOwen3
06-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Andy just walked out and now is talking 2 JR

Viky-cro
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
twitter
andy
crap.i dropped my phn in the toilet. its drying.. i hope it shows sign of life soon
:D
serena
I hope u dnt do 1 of your famous poops!

tangerine_dream
07-22-2010, 06:28 PM
A new Andy Roddick Tennis Center being built for underprivileged kids. Maybe this belongs in the JERK thread? :scratch: :shrug: :p

Og7WdUAi1Cg

OnyxRose
07-22-2010, 06:51 PM
What a kerj.

BeaglesLoveTenni
08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
What is Andy doing letting some little you know what mess with him on Twitter (http://www.tennisnow.com/Blogs/Tennis-and-stuff-/August-2010/Andy-Roddick-gets-his-feelings-hurt-on-Twitter.aspx)? Blah, who does she think she is following him and then trashing him? :mad:

BeaglesLoveTenni
08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
After I bashed that blogger :angel: I was checking out their site and they have a neat digital magazine that Andy has a whole gear guide (http://epaperflip.com/aglaia/viewer.aspx?docid=6141678c005b4595b6f4a2bb0edb9439&page=11) in! Oh well, I hope I didnt hurt anyones feelings. :devil:

tangerine_dream
11-15-2010, 06:36 PM
AHH HA HA HA HA HA! Andy rocking the pornstache.

Twitter:

andyroddick sporting a mustache for the next 2 days cause of a bet.... it is a horrendous look for anyone not named tom selleck or burt reynolds

OnyxRose
11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Oh, that's horrendous.

Fee
12-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Not to be morbid, but have there been any more details about the death in Andy's family that's caused him to miss his events this week? I hope they are all okay, it is never easy to lose a family member.

Deboogle!.
12-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Nope all i saw was the one statement that his site posted about the postponement

Heather1229
12-03-2010, 11:25 PM
His grandmother passed away, Blanche's mother. The power of Google....

Deboogle!.
12-04-2010, 04:17 AM
oohhh :awww:

Fee
12-04-2010, 05:12 AM
oh thanks, I was just about to come and post that. Don't know why I was too lazy to google it before. I blame old age.

tangerine_dream
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Brooklyn Decker and Andy Roddick at AR Foundation Charity Gala (http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/12/07/brooklyn-decker-andy-roddick-foundation-charity-gala/#ixzz17THNm6lJ)

Andy Roddick and wife Brooklyn Decker hit the red carpet at the Andy Roddick Foundation Charity Gala held at the Hilton Austin on Saturday (December 4) in Austin, Texas.

*edit*

Videos from the Gala. (http://www.jrdigitalvideo.com/preview/AndyRoddick.html)

partygirl
12-08-2010, 02:32 AM
Did they coordinate shoes? :p:baby:

starr_00
12-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Aww, they both look so cute and happy.

Fee
12-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Andy is aging dorkfully. I love it. ;)

Heather1229
12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Apparently, Andy injured his back in TX training and will not be attending the exho in Omaha tomorrow night.

2010 = not a good year for Andy, I'm sure he's looking forward to 2011 and hoping for a healthier year.

Deboogle!.
12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
oh dear lord. at this point any interruption in training he has will affect him for 2011. let's hope it's nothing serious and just a precaution.

tangerine_dream
12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Andy getting injured during the off-season now. :unsure:

arodfanpe666o
12-18-2010, 08:49 AM
I get the feeling that he is injured all the time now...

OnyxRose
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm sad because all these injuries really means he's coming to the twilight of his career. I hope it's not too detrimental to his year in 2011.

partygirl
12-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Clumsy Oaf more like. :p

Did his shoes just get way uglier?:bolt:

arodfanpe666o
12-24-2010, 08:34 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/blog/_/name/bodo_peter/id/5953087/santa-presents-players

Andy Roddick: A flaw. This guy is at his best when he's busy incorporating something new into his game, whether it's uber-fitness or a rally backhand. But the feeling I get is that he's already pretty much turned over every rock. Please, Santa, give him a reason to keep believing.

I agree. I think the motivation and beliefe will be a problem for Andy from now on.

Heather1229
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Well contrary to the above post, here's an article about him being more determined than ever:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Finals-2010/Andy-Roddick.aspx

Andy Roddick's physical trainer Lance Hooten and physio Doug Spreen discuss the American's off-season training.

Andy Roddick has been as hungry and motivated as ever during the off-season as he prepares for his 12th full season on the ATP World Tour and another assault on the Australian Open title.

“I haven’t seen him this motivated for some time,” said Roddick’s physical trainer, Lance Hooten. “Andy’s always been a grinder, a hard worker; you have to put reins on him all the time because he’s always going to work too hard, too long and too much.”

Indeed, on the first day of Roddick’s pre-season training the American was due to work out with Hooten and other professional athletes. As Roddick had finished the season with a couple of nagging injuries to his groin and hamstring, Hooten had intended to ease the 28 year old into the programme with short sprints on a more forgiving grass surface.

Roddick, who will first compete in 2011 at the Brisbane International, was not interested in the softly, softly approach.

"You don't win the Australian Open by cutting short your work outs."Recalls Hooten, “Andy whispered to me, ‘I don’t want to do a Plan B workout, I want to do today’s work out.’ I said ‘I don’t know, you’ve got to show me you can handle this so let’s build into it a little slowly.’ And he looked at me and said, ‘We’re not doing a %#@!!% Plan B workout.’

“So we started the workout and he was doing really well, and I was actually going to cut him short because if he’s not finishing the work out healthy then it doesn’t really matter. Andy looked at me and said, ‘You don’t win the %#@!!% Australian Open by cutting short your work outs.’”

It is undoubtedly that sort of attitude and determination that has seen former World No. 1 Roddick succeed for so long at the top of the game. Despite suffering mononucleosis that set him back during the crunch stage of the season over the summer, Roddick still produced strong enough results to earn his place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the eighth straight year. And the Texan firmly believed that had he not been ill, after his blistering start to the season, he could have finished in the Top 3 or 4 in the South African Airways 2010 ATP Rankings.

With that in mind, Team Roddick is treating victory at the Australian Open as a realistic target for the American and as such, the hard work began in earnest as soon as Roddick returned from London. “The planning and talking about it started the day that the season ended,” confirmed Roddick’s physio, Doug Spreen. “At that point he and Larry [Stefanki] had a chance to sit down and talk and go over a few things. Within a few days of getting back to Austin he was already starting to do some conditioning work and strength training, so it started up pretty quick.”

After the illness and injury problems of 2010, Spreen confirmed Roddick’s primary goal for the off season was to get healthy. “The goal coming out of December is that when you go down to Australia you want to feel good. The goal is to find a happy medium where you continue to do a lot of work to get yourself in shape, but at the same time you want to show up in Australia feeling healthy and hopefully a little bit rejuvenated.”

The No. 2 goal was to pay attention to the American’s body composition.

“As a power-speed athlete you have to be very lean and very strong,” explained Hooten. “So what we wanted to do was lose a few pounds of body fat and gain a few pounds in muscle tissue, so his body weight tends to stay around the same, but you change the body composition. By doing that you have a stronger athlete, a more explosive athlete, you have an athlete who can withstand the rigours of his sport.”

"What we wanted to do was lose a few pounds of body fat and gain a few pounds in muscle tissue"The tough regimen that Hooten devised has seen Roddick’s workout alternate between the track and the court. Track work involves explosive short sprints over 10-40 metres and longer sprints between 150-300 metres for speed endurance. Other exercises have involved the American doing sprints up a 50-60 metre hill on a 4-5 degree incline. On the court, Roddick has been doing short, explosive agility drills.

With Roddick’s late finish to the season there has not been much time to add specifics to his game. However, Hooten has been focusing on improving the American’s first step to chasing balls on the court, achieved by increasing Roddick’s lean muscle tissue and taking away his hesitation by making him as fit and supple as possible. “With the drills we’re doing lots of ply metric jumps, we do a lot of medicine ball throws for power and speed,” he explained.

Along with the physical training, Roddick has also been paying close attention to his diet – getting lots of fresh vegetables, lots of fresh fruit, very lean proteins, supplements of protein smoothies and eating frequent meals throughout the day - in the knowledge that consuming proper foods aids recovery by 50-75 per cent.

With the hard work done, Roddick will travel to Australia as a four-time former semi-finalist in Melbourne, with a wealth of major experience, and the confidence of feeling fit, healthy and strong. He should not be discounted as a serious contender.

arodfanpe666o
12-24-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm more than glad to read this. I'm curious about 2011 season. It won't be the first time when Andy says he is as motivated as ever, as prepared as ever, bla bla bla and loses early. But I wish him all the best. I really hope he listens to his body and stays healthy. At this point of his career this is the most important thing. Because, like it is said in the article, pushing yourself to the limit does not matter if you this leads to injury.

And btw, it seems that the reason he missed the charity event is nothing serious, which is great :)

Deboogle!.
12-25-2010, 01:09 AM
nice article. he must be ok, Doug just tweeted they head to Australia on Sunday. Can't believe the off-season is almost over. Feels like it just started :lol:

tangerine_dream
04-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Enjoy it while you can, Mardy. :angel: :dance:

@gregcouch Fish got a text from Roddick after passing him to US #1: "So you passed me. Congratulations and make no mistake: I plan on taking it back.''

*edit*

Adding an article I came across, from ITF magazine, March 2011.

tangerine_dream
08-08-2011, 03:54 PM
If you missed it this past weekend, you can find podcasts of Andy hosting Fox Sports Radio with Bobby Bones over here. (http://www.foxsportsradio.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=foxsportsweekends.xml) :)

*EDIT*

And here's another one.....

Hot Clicks Podcast With Jimmy Traina (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/podcasts/hot-clicks/)
Andy Roddick Interview -- Aug. 10, 2011
American tennis star Andy Roddick talks fantasy football, his Miami Heat and what married life is like with an SI Swimsuit model.

tangerine_dream
09-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Donald Trump sounds off on Andy Roddick. :yeah:

Ll917GMCqoo

tangerine_dream
10-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Doug Robson's twitter:

Ken Meyerson, Andy's agent, died from heart attack this morning.

Ken Meyerson on his favorite tennis player to watch: "Roddick - I like his game. I like his fire. I like his enthusiasm. I like his passion. I like his in-your-face attitude."

Andy Roddick twitter:
Ken. I love you and miss you I will be forever grateful for your faith&loyalty You will forever be my brother.. As always "thanks meyerson"

Photo: Andy with Ken, in 2007.

tangerine_dream
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Inside Tennis - Nov/Dec 2011

Best Wise Guy: Andy Roddick, with his cutting, frat-boy sense of humor. :cool:

Snippiest Players: Andy Roddick, Lleyton Hewitt, Jimmy Conners. :p

FedererDjokovic
01-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Andy need another weapons other than his serve to do much damage. My guess is 3 or 4th round in AO.

Some Andy's High Speed Videos (240fps):
Serve on deuce court
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oi8OYyCvFE&feature=fvsr

Baseball pitch like forehand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ17FZrzkEY&feature=fvst

Kate87
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I didn't know where to put this since we don't have the Articles thread anymore but I just HAD to post this somewhere since it's kinda :eek: so here it is

Mind Sight: Will Andy Roddick Ever Believe in Himself?
By Gerald Schoenewolf | Yahoo! Contributor Network

It seemed to begin after the epic Wimbledon match against Roger Federer in 2009. Andy Roddick went toe to toe with Federer for 77 games before losing 16-14 in the fifth set. It was the longest finals match ever played, not only at Wimbledon but in any major.

That match was a heartbreaker for Roddick. That was the beginning of his downhill slide.

For a few hours, it seemed as if Roddick had truly begun to believe in himself, believed he could beat Federer or anybody else. But that belief cracked in the second set, when he had four set points in the tiebreaker and lost them all. And it cracked again, when he was broken at 14-15 in the final set. In the interview after the match he was asked by a reporter, "What happened out there Andy." His answer: "I lost."

Roddick was not his usual clowning self. This loss was different. When another reporter asked him if he would feel encouraged by his play in this match, his answer was, "No. No. You know … I just keep going. There's not another option."

From a sports psychological standpoint, I was interested in his body language at that interview and afterward. His expression and his hanging head spoke of despair. He kept going after that match, but not at the same level; in the next three years his ranking slowly fell, and Marty Fish (!!!!!!) replaced him as the No. 1 American tennis player. He was ranked No. 5 in the world following that Wimbledon match; by April of 2012, he had fallen to 34th. It was as though his soul had been sucked out of him by that Wimbledon match, as if he had lost his edge, misplaced his will to win.

To be sure, he has had to deal with an array of injuries in the last three years, including shoulder strains, hamstring pulls, ankle strains, and knee problems. But these injuries were only part of the story. The other part--the most important part--was that he just didn't seem to have any determination anymore. Even when he was healthy, he was being knocked out of tournaments in the early rounds. Since the loss to Federer in that 2009 Wimbledon, he has only won two ATP tournaments.

As a psychoanalyst, I generally focus on the psychological aspects of an athlete's career. When I study Roddick's ups and downs, one fact becomes obvious: Roddick appears to have the skills to beat anyone. He has beaten each of the top four players--Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray. Indeed, he has a 5-3 record against Djokovic. He is widely acknowledged to have one of the best serves in tennis and one of the best forehands. His backhand has improved over the years, as has his net game. What separates him from the top players is not his physical game but rather his mental toughness.

The youngest of three brothers, all of who were aspiring tennis players, Roddick eventually surpassed both his brothers and went on to become the world's No. 1 tennis player when he won his only grand slam, the 2003 U.S. Open. At 21, he was the youngest American to end the year ranked No. 1. He credited his coach at the time, Brad Gilbert, with his rise to the top. He may have been right about that.

In my research on athletes, I have found a correlation between an athlete's insecurity and his frequent changes of coaches. When things aren't going as well as one likes, it's easier to blame a coach than to look objectively at oneself. Since he parted with Gilbert, Roddick has changed coaches several times; first there was Dean Goldfine, then his brother John, then Jimmy Connors, and more recently, Larry Stefanki. Whenever he has stopped winning as much as he wanted to, he has hired a new coach. His journey from coach to coach points to the fact that he does not believe in himself. He needs a coach to give him that belief.

Throughout his career he has done well when less is expected of him, and not so well when he enters a match as the top dog. Once he had achieved the No. 1 ranking after the 2003 U.S. Open, he only managed to hold on to the position a few month, losing it at the following Australian Open when Roger Federer took over the position. His upset losses included a second-round defeat at the 2005 Wimbledon to unseeded José Acasuso; a first-round loss to number 70 Gilles Mϋller; and a first-round trouncing at the 2007 French Open to the 33rd-ranked Igor Andreev.

It may well be that Roddick suffers from a younger-brother syndrome. I have often found in my observances of the family lives of athletes that younger siblings learn to be great underdogs. They learn this, first of all, by beating their older siblings. Then they defeat other older players, and the underdog attitude becomes reinforced. They then develop a David vs. Goliath mentality. They are good when they are underdogs, but not so good when they are top dogs. The oldest brother is usually expected to defeat his younger brothers and thereby learns how to play the top dog role. The younger brother, being the youngest, never learns that role. Very often, younger brothers, such as Roddick, retain the younger-brother mentality.

A biography of Roddick notes that his two older brothers were groomed by their parents to be tennis players: "No one gave Andy much though as a potential tennis star. His brothers were convinced their hammy younger sibling would become an actor."

Roddick's prowess at tennis was unexpected and was not really nurtured as it was in his older brothers. Hence, he is still looking for that nurturing.

To believe in himself, Roddick would have to become convinced that he can beat anyone at anytime, whether he is expected to or not expected to. He would have to believe that he has it within him to beat people, rather than needing to get that belief from a coach.

Roddick is now 29 years old. For the most part, tennis players do not play their best after the age of 30. In the few good years he may have left, will he learn to believe in himself? If that belief hasn't been instilled in you during your childhood, it is difficult to find it later on without going through a process such as psychotherapy. But now and again it has happened that a player will reach his prime in later years. Let's hope this is the case with Roddick.

Gerald Schoenewolf, Ph.D. is a licensed psychoanalyst, professor of psychology, and author of 20 books. He is also an avid sports fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mind-sight-andy-roddick-ever-believe-himself-215200512--tennis.html

Deboogle!.
04-13-2012, 02:37 AM
:sobbing:

arodfanpe666o
04-13-2012, 04:59 AM
I don’t really agree with this article. The only thing that is true is about coaches. Yes, Andy needed changes to keep himself going through his career.

But that is the end of it. Well, yes, Wimbledon final loss really hurt Andy, but the author forgets how well Andy played in throughout the first part of 2010 – particularly IW/Miami swing. And he even beat Djokovic in Canada 2009, fresh after THAT match. Also, Gerald Schoenewolf gives statistically incorrect information. Andy did not lost to Acasuso in first round of Wimbledon. Andy made the final, losing (again) to GOAT. So, basically the author points out two French Open loses, trying to make a point about Andy’s career, which is naive and stupid. So, mr. Schoenewolf better do his researches before making statements.

Andy’s career, game, ranking and so on is going down, because it was time for them to go down. He played tons of matches, year after year, hit millions of serves. His body can’t hold up as it used to, which is perfectly normal. And we can’t expect him to hit 145 mph serves for a period of 15 years or more. I also want it, but it cannot be.

Andy had a great career and if some points had gone his way, he may have been 3-4-time Grand Slam champion or even more. And would have won couple more Masters titles. Andy made mistakes, but blaming him for lack of self believe, really!? So, this guy better stick to psychology, not sports.

And sorry for my English, it is not that good when I have to express myself. I hope you will understand me and get my point.

toyecc1
04-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Will Andy retire at the end of the year?

RoddickFan88
04-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Will Andy retire at the end of the year?

No way.

toyecc1
04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
No way.

Yay! :)

Deboogle!.
04-17-2012, 02:38 AM
I think if he's still outside the top 25, he might :shrug:

Fumus
04-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I think if he's still outside the top 25, he might :shrug:

He will be back in the top 10. Not a chance of retirement.

RoddickFan88
04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
He will be back in the top 10. Not a chance of retirement.

This!!! :hatoff:

SapELee
06-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Even though he is 7-10 on the year and lost in the first round of Roland Garros to Nicolas Mahut, Andy Roddick says he will not attempt to play the Nottingham Challenger on grass next week. The former No. 1 returned to the tour last week in Germany after taking almost two months off to rehab various injuries. He's currently ranked No. 33 and is in danger of being unseeded at Wimbledon, where he's reached three finals. Roddick is defending semifinal-round points at Queen's Club, which he will play. He is also planning on competing at Wimbledon and the Olympics.

Roddick said he never really considered pulling out of Roland Garros.

"Coming into this, I didn't have much to kind of prop myself up on," said Roddick, who lost three clay-court matches in Dusseldorf last week. "But I played a guy who it's not his favorite surface either, so there was a chance. You just don't know. So if everyone pulled out of every tournament when they weren't feeling great or confident, we wouldn't have a lot of fields that were much to write home about. We'd have about four people in most draws ... There are a lot of guys who know how to play on clay, and it's just second nature to them. I feel that way on grass, so hopefully I can turn it around there."

http://tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=17847&zoneid=6

Ausie
06-14-2012, 06:28 PM
LONDON, ENGLAND

E. ROGER‑VASSELIN/A. Roddick
6‑4, 4‑6, 7‑5

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What are your thoughts on that?

ANDY RODDICK: It wasn't that bad. I mean, I served 80% and had 22 aces. You know, the guy won I think five points on my serve in the first set and four of them came in succession and he came in on two first serves.
You know, it was better than what I have been doing. You know, I thought I had a look there in the third set, and honestly I felt like I was going to take that thing once I turned it.
Didn't work out that way.

Q. Would more matches help?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, but in order to get to two matches you've got to get past one. Unfortunately that's the way it's gotta go.
But I've come in here plenty of times short on matches and I've played three‑setters first round plenty of times, matches exactly like that. You know, just didn't go my way today.

Q. Do you think it's like the hamstring and it's hard for you to get going this year?

ANDY RODDICK: No, I don't know. That certainly didn't help. You know, today I didn't feel like it was ‑‑I've certainly played my fair share of very average tennis. I don't think today was ‑‑the result was not what I was looking for. The guy played great.
I didn't hit the ball too badly. I've certainly played a lot worse this year so far. But, yeah, you know, like it was alluded to, you know, both ways are contagious. You know, you win, you can hit the ball terribly and somehow you get through. It works against you until you find your groove. Certainly I'm looking right now.

Q. Fitness‑wise where are you? 80% fit?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know. I'm fit enough to play.

Q. Is that the main thing you'll work on now before Wimbledon, or to find more rhythm on the grass?

ANDY RODDICK: I mean, there's a lot of things to work on.

Q. Are you going to play somewhere next week?

ANDY RODDICK: I don't know yet.

Q. You had an interview this week in which you discussed retirement. What made you decide to talk about...

ANDY RODDICK: I didn't really ‑‑I didn't really say anything. I mean, I'm not at the point where I'm going to deal in absolutes with my career. I'm not going to sit here and say, I'm going to play three more years. I'm not going to sit here and say ‑‑so take that as what you want.
You know, at this point anything is a possibility. It's something I said. You know, I don't think what was said and the way it has been interpreted is completely on the same page.
You know, I don't have certainty two, three years down the road. I'm not going to talk about that. I don't think I'm going to set the precedent on giving‑up dates on a day‑to‑day basis, either.

Q. Some players like Ljubicic said in advance it will be at a certain tournament. Do you think when the time comes, whether it's in five years or whatever, that's how you'll do it?

ANDY RODDICK: How would I know that? I have never done it before. I don't know. I don't know.

Q. Do you find yourself now thinking more of what will be, when it happens, what you'll do?

ANDY RODDICK: As far as afterwards?

Q. Yeah.

ANDY RODDICK: No, I don't really worry about it. Maybe that's another thing why it got taken away. I don't worry about after tennis, really.
I have great friends at home. My social life isn't out here. You know, it's more important to me probably at home.
You know, I have a lot of different interests, so I don't fear kind of the life aspect of tennis. I enjoy playing tennis. I'm probably different than, you know, most of the guys out here.
I enjoy the work still. I enjoy being up at the track early and hitting with the guys and, you know, putting in the hours. I don't know that I enjoy the scene of tennis as much, and I think that's backwards from a lot of people.
So I have thought about it, and I don't really worry about it.

Q. You have had so much success here, and you've gone out first match this year. Would that encourage you to come back next year, to keep playing?

ANDY RODDICK: Oh, I don't play one match for a year. I don't think that's something I'll ever do.

Q. Are you going to still play the doubles?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. Yeah.

Ausie
06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Andy Roddick

EASTBOURNE, ENGLAND

A. RODDICK/S. Querrey
5‑2 (Ret.)

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It's difficult to tell from that match, but is that a bit of a confidence booster for you?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I mean, listen, I didn't know he was ‑‑I didn't know he was dealing with something out there. You know, regardless of what he had going on, I hit the ball really well.
Last couple of days it's been really good in practice. I don't know why or how or what the, you know, what the process has been, but it's felt pretty good.
So, you know, we'll take it.

Q. Your first experience of this rather sedate surroundings of Eastbourne. What do you make of it?

ANDY RODDICK: No, it's been great. It's easy. You know, you walk home at the end of the day. It's nice. It's mellow. It's a good place to kind of‑‑ you know, there's always available practice courts. There is a long line of them. It's been pleasant so far.

Q. Do you need to sort of take a mellow attitude towards how you are and how you're going to be over the next few days, do you think?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I think so. I mean, you're here just trying to work. You know, I felt like this was the best place to do it. You know, you can't really replicate match situations in practice, so it's something I needed. You know, they afforded me the opportunity to play here, and, you know, I'm thankful for it.

Q. Looking towards Wimbledon, what is it going to take for someone other than Djokovic, Federer, Nadal to win it?

ANDY RODDICK: Good playing. I mean, I'm not really sure how to go about that. Obviously they've played great and they've, you know, been pretty selfish about Grand Slam titles for a little bit.
So it's going to take some extraordinary tennis and consistently over the course of a couple weeks. You know, with the exception of Rafa it's going to take digging out of holes. And you saw that with Roger and Novak during Paris. That comes from confidence. Even being a couple of sets down, they were able to kind of dig in and beat some pretty good players in their own right. You know, there's something to be said for that.

Q. State of the courts? Are they good?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, they felt good.

Q. They have had a reputation in the past to be a wee bit uneven and a little bit...

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah, I heard that coming in, but honestly they have been‑‑ yeah, pleasantly surprised, yeah.

SapELee
07-13-2012, 09:49 PM
EMIRATES AIRLINES U.S. OPEN SERIES MEDIA CONFERENCE (July 10, 2012) (http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=81437)

ruberdcky
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
The public wrote off Andy but now he's back with two title wins. That should shut up the naysayers for a little while longer.
http://www.tennisnow.com/News/Roddick-Shocks---In-a-Good-Way.aspx

RoddickFan88
08-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Andy has confirmed to play Delray Beach next year:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/08/Features/Delray-Beach-Top-Three-Americans-To-Appear.aspx

So all retirement questions go to hell!:wavey:

Fumus
08-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Andy has confirmed to play Delray Beach next year:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/08/Features/Delray-Beach-Top-Three-Americans-To-Appear.aspx

So all retirement questions go to hell!:wavey:

I saw that too but Brooklyn said all along he would retire after next years OPEN. Let hope he can stay injury free for the rest of this year (next)

saltyandy
08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I saw that too but Brooklyn said all along he would retire after next years OPEN. Let hope he can stay injury free for the rest of this year (next)
What do u mean by open?Delray Beach or something else?

Deboogle!.
08-26-2012, 05:08 PM
I saw that too but Brooklyn said all along he would retire after next years OPEN. Let hope he can stay injury free for the rest of this year (next)When did Brooklyn say something that specific? I mean, that's when I assume he'll retire, and wish it would be after this year's, but she just made a side comment about it if i remember?

RoddickFan88
08-26-2012, 06:26 PM
We will see what happen. Andy said in June something liike "Everything is possible. Maybe I'll stay and play for two or three more years, I don't know, We'll see"

At this point just be happy for 2013 season. :)

tangerine_dream
08-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Here come the Roddick retrospectives......

Building a Legacy
The Gift of Roddick (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/27/sports/tennis/celebrating-andy-roddick-beyond-his-victories.html)
By HARVEY ARATON

“If I win one, it’s like career appreciation day. Then if I lose one, it’s like we should take him out in the field and shoot him in the head.” — Andy Roddick after a 6-2, 6-1 drubbing at the Olympics by Novak Djokovic.

Rest assured nobody wants to exterminate Andy Roddick from the men’s professional tennis tour. Muzzle him, perhaps, on those occasions he takes out mounting frustrations on courtside officials. But Roddick is at the point in his career — documentable decline, if not sunset — when a general valuation is almost unavoidable.

A decade has passed since Roddick burst on the scene, all serve and American swagger, in stark contrast to the emerging Swiss imperturbability of Roger Federer. He will turn 30 on Thursday, during the first week of the United States Open, the one Grand Slam tournament he has won, in 2003, but where he has fallen to the 20th seed.

Happy birthday, Yankee Doodle Andy, and know that those who might dwell on expectations unmet appear to be greatly outnumbered by those who celebrate your 32 tournament victories and nine consecutive years in the top 10 (through 2010) and the unbridled passion and playfulness you brought to the sport at home just when the most serious men’s star power was shifting abroad.

“To his peers, Andy has been someone to admire — winning the U.S. Open, a Davis Cup title and being No. 1 in the world,” said Justin Gimelstob, a serve-and-volley player turned broadcaster and a longtime friend of Roddick’s. “For an American kid, that’s pretty much the tennis trifecta.”

Gimelstob added: “Has Andy always treated people the right way? No, he hasn’t. Is Andy perfect? No, he isn’t. When people see tennis players complain on court, they are usually seeing the worst of us, and it gets real easy from the broadcast booth and the stands to go with the negative. But anyone who says that Andy isn’t a good guy or has been an underachiever doesn’t know him or tennis.”

Sam Querrey, 24, was a rising junior when he watched Roddick, then 21, pound Juan Carlos Ferrero into the Flushing Meadows hardcourt for his one Grand Slam title. It was logical to assume that Roddick was taking the baton from Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, about to run the next leg in the continuum of American dominance.

“I think because of Andy having to follow those guys here and then Roger taking it to a completely different level, I’m not sure some people understand what a great ambassador Andy has been for the game in the U.S.,” Querrey said.

Querrey was 17, contemplating his pro future, when Roddick invited him to Austin, Tex., to trade ground strokes and give him a sense of what to expect on the big-boy circuit.

“This was about the time he had been No. 1 and won the Open, playing Federer in the Wimbledon final back to back,” Querrey said. “So when Andy Roddick calls, you drop whatever plans you have and get on a plane. He had me stay in his house, treated me like a little brother.”

Querrey noted that even as Roddick began his descent, he took the teenage Ryan Harrison under his wing.

“I think he feels that was part of the responsibility of being the No. 1 player in the country,” Querrey said.

Roddick’s brother John said Andy was bred to be a team player, as the youngest of three boys who also flourished in baseball and basketball.

“Football was the one game we weren’t allowed because our parents didn’t want us to get hurt,” said John Roddick, who became a college tennis coach, at Georgia and now at Oklahoma, after mentoring his brother as a young pro. “But you could see by the way Andy loved Davis Cup how much he appreciated the camaraderie of sports.”

Patrick McEnroe saw some of his older brother, John, in Roddick’s need for escape from what otherwise is among the loneliest of athletic professions. In his prime, Roddick’s best friends were Davis Cup teammates like Mardy Fish and James Blake. In a sport in which the men’s and women’s tours operate largely in parallel universes, Roddick befriended Venus and Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova.

McEnroe said we could all say what we will about Roddick’s results, but the effort to be the best he could be was seldom lacking.

“I’ve been critical of his strategies — that he hasn’t adjusted his positions on the court, taking the ball earlier,” McEnroe said. “But you could never question his willingness to put it on the line, to leave everything he had out there.”

McEnroe added: “You know, it’s easy to compete when you know you’re going to win. But there was a Davis Cup match we played in Madrid, and we’re down, 2-1, and Andy’s got to go out and play Rafa Nadal on clay. He went into the lion’s den, knowing he was going to get buried, and he never once went through the motions. To me, that’s the definitive Andy Roddick.”

In that sense — Roddick as the inevitable underdog against the balletic Federer and the ferociously athletic Nadal — the broadcaster and former American top-10 player Jimmy Arias argued that the notion of Roddick as an underachiever was wrong.

Arias said: “He hung in there for a decade with what I would call the greatest players of all time and with a couple of holes in his game, especially on the backhand, where you could attack him. You could almost go the other way and say he’s overachieved for the game he’s had.”

From the European perspective, Tommy Haas of Germany, at 34 one of the ATP Tour’s most respected players despite never having won a Grand Slam title, said he only wished he had had an uninterrupted run like Roddick’s.

“As good as it gets, in many ways,” said the oft-injured Haas, acknowledging the exclusion of the chosen few. “I think at the end of the day, when you come from a country that had a lot of tennis history, these questions come up. Now you have it from Switzerland and Spain and maybe Serbia. But maybe 10, 20 years from now, it looks different again and you have a few American superstars.”

In that Grand Slam scheme, compared with America’s storied past and the current axis of Federer, Nadal and Novak Djokovic, Roddick was almost destined to disappoint. But is that really his doing, or his problem?

“There’s no birthright that because we’re American we have to have a No. 1 or 2 in the world,” said Brad Gilbert, who became Roddick’s coach for a year and a half shortly before the 2003 United States Open. “We expect it and want it, but that doesn’t mean it has to happen.”

Still, Gilbert said, “sports can be cruel,” and the tennis gods were unmerciful to Roddick when he misplayed a high backhand volley at 6-5 in a second-set tiebreaker against Federer in the 2009 Wimbledon final and wound up losing, 16-14, in the fifth.

“He’s up a set and 6-2 in the tiebreak and then has that makable volley at 6-5,” Gilbert said. “He takes that set, he probably wins Wimbledon, and now you’re going to look at Andy in a completely different way.”

Instead, Federer broke Sampras’s record that day with his 15th Grand Slam singles victory (he now has 17) and Roddick, as Gilbert and others agreed, was never quite the same.

“I saw Andy that night,” Patrick McEnroe said. “We were going to play Croatia in Davis Cup soon after and he pulled out, naturally. I think that match really hurt him inside. You could see it on his face, like he knew maybe he wouldn’t get another chance like that again.”

Federer defeated Roddick in all four of his losing Grand Slam finals and has trounced him, 21-3, in head-to-head matches, but he has always been quick to defend him. When Roddick upset him in Key Biscayne, Fla., in March, Federer issued a diplomatic admonition to quibbling American reporters and fans.

“He’s still very good,” Federer said. “I hope you guys give him more credit than he’s getting at the moment. He’s a great champion, and, yeah, enjoy him while you have him.”

Roddick’s best may be much better than it is going to get for American men’s tennis in the foreseeable future. The next decade could move along much more slowly than the last.

Fumus
08-28-2012, 07:24 PM
When did Brooklyn say something that specific? I mean, that's when I assume he'll retire, and wish it would be after this year's, but she just made a side comment about it if i remember?

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-02-16/8889.php

Deboogle!.
08-29-2012, 12:31 AM
1) that's tennis-x
2) I don't see anything specific there

SapELee
08-30-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_mike_andy_roddick_02.jpg

Every year, Andy Roddick celebrates his birthday with a few thousand of his closest friends at the US Open, as fans have sung “Happy Birthday” to him year after year on court. This year, the Austin, Texas native celebrates his “golden birthday,” as he turns 30 on Aug. 30. In honor of his third decade, we highlight 30 achievements, milestones and fun facts about the young tennis player who, over the past 12 years, has grown up before our eyes to become one of America’s best.

The fastest serve Roddick has officially clocked (155 mph) came in a Davis Cup match against Vladimir Voltchkov on Sept. 24, 2004, in Charleston, N.C.
As a junior player, Roddick won both the Australian Open and US Open singles titles in 2000.
Roddick was ranked the No. 1 junior when he decided to turn pro at age 17 in 2000.
Roddick burst onto the scene at the start of 2003, when he defeated Moroccan player Younes El Aynaoui in a five-hour battle at the Australian Open quarterfinals, 4–6, 7–6, 4–6, 6–4, 21–19.
When Roddick first began working with coach Brad Gilbert in the summer of 2003, he was 21 years old and sporting visors during his matches – until Gilbert came along. He convinced Roddick to "get rid of the Fred Couples visor” in an effort to present a tougher look to his opponents.
Shortly after Gilbert joined his camp, Roddick had a breakthrough year in 2003, when he finished the year as the No. 1 player in the world.
At the 2003 US Open, he won his first (and to this date, his only) Grand Slam title when he beat Juan Carlos Ferrero in the final 6–3, 7–6(2), 6–3.
Roddick’s US Open title almost didn’t happen, as he was two sets down and facing match point against David Nalbandian in the semifinals before coming back to win it 6–7, 3–6, 7–6, 6–1, 6–3.
In the past, Roddick has dated singer/actress Mandy Moore, who was with him when he won the 2003 US Open.
As a baseball fan, Roddick has had the chance to throw the first pitch at several Major League Baseball games, including Game 2 of the 2003 playoffs between the Oakland Athletics and the Boston Red Sox.
In 2005, American Express, one of the US Open sponsors, pitched a multi-million dollar campaign leading up to the US Open centered around the question, “Have you seen Andy's mojo?” The campaign hinted at the idea that Roddick’s “mojo” had left him and he couldn’t play well until he found it. Commercials showed a personification of “Andy’s mojo” leaving Roddick’s body while he slept and partied while using Roddick’s American Express card.
Following the American Express ad campaign, Roddick lost his first-round match at the Open, falling to Gilles Muller in straight sets. This commercial aired following the loss.
The summer of 2007 saw a 24-year-old Roddick featured on the cover of Men's Fitness magazine, in which he appeared incredibly buff. After seeing the doctored photo for the first time, Roddick joked, “I saw the cover, and it was pretty funny. Little did I know I have 22-inch guns. Maybe Rafael Nadal wants his arms back?" See the cover for yourself here.
Roddick was selected as one of People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive" in 2006 as the Sexiest Athlete.
In May 2006, then-President George W. Bush named Roddick to the President’s Council of Sports and Fitness.
Throughout the summer of 2006, the media had suspected a romantic link between Roddick and Maria Sharapova, earning them the nickname “Rodapova.” The two denied any relationship, saying they were just friends.
After seeing a photo of Sports Illustrated model Brooklyn Decker in a magazine, Roddick asked his agent to contact Decker's agent so he could meet her. They began dating in 2007, and were married April 17, 2009, in Austin, Texas, where Elton John sang at their wedding reception.
Off the court, Roddick has tested the waters in the acting business, having guest-starred as himself in the television show “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” in 2002. Check out the clip here (Sabrina’s comment about Kournikova: zinger!).
He also made a cameo at the very end of the 2011 movie Just Go With It, as the new boyfriend of the character played by Brooklyn Decker, his actual wife.
A-Rod even tried his hand at comedy skits, hosting Saturday Night Live on Nov. 8, 2003 (Season 29, Episode 5) along with his favorite band, Dave Matthews Band. It appeared to be a natural fit for his jokester personality. The episode has since been considered a classic among SNL shows hosted by pro athletes.
Since establishing the Andy Roddick Foundation, the charity organization has raised more than $10 million to improve the quality of life and enhance educational and economic opportunities for children.
Thanks to his charitable efforts through ARF, Roddick earned The Arthur Ashe Humanitarian Award in 2005.
In the summer of 2009, Roddick faced Federer for the third time in a Wimbledon final, a match that was without a doubt one of the best performances of his career, and the closest he ever came to winning the Wimbledon title. His 7–5, 6–7, 6–7, 6–3, 14–16 loss set records for the longest men's Grand Slam final in history at 77 games and the longest fifth set in a men's Grand Slam final.
Roddick teamed up with good friend Bobby Bones, host of Austin’s KISS-FM morning show, in 2011 for a day on Fox Sports Radio. The show’s ensuing success prompted the duo to start their own nationally syndicated weekly sports radio show, which debuted Jan. 7, 2012.
As Roddick’s wife mentioned in an interview, a career in the radio show business could be the next move for Roddick after he retires.
Roddick was born in Omaha, Neb., in 1982 and is a huge fan of the Nebraska Cornhuskers football team.
Coincidentally, Roddick’s favorite character in the movie American Pie is Stifler, who is played by Sean William Scott, the actor who bears a striking resemblance to Roddick.
Roddick was honored with the 2004 ESPY Award for Best Male Tennis Player. He was nominated again in 2005.
Roddick has a pet bulldog named Billie Jean.
In his 12-year career, Roddick has appeared on more than a dozen talk shows, including The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Ellen, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Late Show with David Letterman, Live with Regis and Kelly, and others.

Link: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-30/201208301346348905027.html

tangerine_dream
08-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Andy has just announced that he will retire after this year's US Open.

His match tomorrow night with Tomic will likely be a madhouse. I will be there.

SapELee
08-30-2012, 11:13 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_28AUG12_417_roddick.jpg

After 13 years, 32 singles titles, including one Grand Slam, and a world No. 1 ranking, Andy Roddick announced on his 30th birthday Thursday that he is retiring from professional tennis after the 2012 US Open.

One of the most celebrated American male players, “A-Rod” was always known for his lightning-fast serve and powerful forehand. He held the record for fastest serve ever recorded on the ATP Tour at 155 mph, set on a hard court during the Davis Cup semifinals in Charleston, S.C., in September 2004. The record was broken in March 2011, when Ivo Karlovic hit a serve at 156 mph.

He remains the last U.S. man to win a Grand Slam title, which he recorded at the 2003 US Open, the same year he ascended to No. 1 in the world for the first time.

Roddick, currently ranked No. 22, has won two singles titles in 2012 at Atlanta and Eastbourne. He has struggled with injuries in recent years, including tearing a tendon in his hamstring earlier this year, which forced him to retire from his second-round match at the Australian Open, and an ankle injury shortly thereafter in San Jose. In 2011, he suffered injuries to both his oblique muscle and his shoulder, which forced him out of the French Open, among other tournaments. He finished the year ranked outside the top 10 for the first time since 2001.

Roddick, originally from Omaha, Neb., lived in Austin, Texas, his current residence, for much of his childhood before moving to Boca Raton, Fla., where he played high school basketball with fellow American and close friend Mardy Fish. The two lived and trained together in 1999.

He has been heralded since he was a junior player, ascending to the world No. 1 boys' ranking and winning both the US Open and Australian Open boys’ singles titles in 2000. He played his first professional match, a Futures tournament, in 1999 and turned pro in 2000, earning his first ATP Tour win in Miami that year by beating then-world No. 41 Fernando Vicente of Spain.

Besides bringing the power on every shot, Roddick was known for his passion for the game and occasionally for his temper and various outbursts on the court. Off the court, he is known for his philanthropy through the Andy Roddick Foundation, as well as his good looks, having been featured as one of People Magazine’s ‘Sexiest Men Alive’ in 2006. Roddick, who became just the second tennis player to host Saturday Night Live in 2003, married Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and actress Brooklyn Decker in April 2009.

Always eager to represent his country, Roddick retires as one of the greatest players in U.S. Davis Cup history. For years, he was the “closer” -- the one looked upon to lead the team and come through whenever it ended a victory. He led the team to its last Davis Cup title in 2007, going undefeated in five Davis Cup matches throughout the year. Roddick now leaves the game with 33 Davis Cup singles victories, second all-time in U.S. Davis Cup team history to John McEnroe, dating from 2001-10.

Roddick always referred to the US Open as one of his favorite tournaments, speaking of the event as a combination of both sports and entertainment and saying he felt privileged to be able to spend his birthday at the tournament each year. Besides his 2003 win, he also was the runner-up to Roger Federer in 2006, one of four other Grand Slam finals he played during his career, losing to Federer each time at Wimbledon in 2004, 2005 and 2009. The most memorable Grand Slam final was at 2009 Wimbledon, an extremely well-played match and serve-fest between him and his longtime rival. Federer clinched with his only break of Roddick in the match and then a hold to win 5–7, 7–6, 7–6, 3–6, 16–14.

Roddick seemed to be saying goodbye to the crowd he loved at the All England Club, where he always had dreamed of winning the title, when he lost to world No. 5 David Ferrer in the third round, waving and blowing kisses as he left the court and bringing speculation that perhaps it was his last time there.

And it turned out it was, at least as a competitor. Roddick will say goodbye to the crowd in Flushing Meadows sometime in the next week and a half, as well, and next faces Bernard Tomic in the second round Friday night in Arthur Ashe Stadium. Whether he ends on a win or a loss, he will never be forgotten.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-30/201208301346361858009.html

partygirl
08-30-2012, 11:46 PM
Andy has just announced that he will retire after this year's US Open.

His match tomorrow night with Tomic will likely be a madhouse. I will be there.I can see it going either way, tomic reminds me of a young roddick in some ways & we all know how Andy loves to springboard guys careers.

Rock the house Tangy! :rocker2:

OnyxRose
08-31-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm still in disbelief, I guess. We all knew it was coming but to have it almost be here...I can't contemplate right now. I guess we were lucky to have him this long.

It's going to be so barren when all the old'uns retire.

Winston's Human
08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
Wow! Even though we all knew it was coming, it still is stunning to reach the end of an era. Andy seemed at peace with his decision and, ultimately, that it was what is best.

Silver.
08-31-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm so so sad. Tennis feels empty now.

I don't think i'll be able to bear it if the little Tomic brat is the one to end his career. Only player I can't stand.

Hope we see Andy in the future and he just doesn't disappear completely. His personality brought a lot to the game, and it still can in the future.

His career was outstanding. So proud of him.

Iheartandy&roger
08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Sad time for tennis, going to miss him terribly! definitely going to be hard to fill this void.

FloRida22
09-02-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm a new forum member, but I'm also super sad about Andy's retirement. Found this entertaining video with his career highlights and thought I would share. Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzEYz_IBtJE

the cat
09-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Good luck to Andy Roddick in retirement. I wish Andy could have played a couple more years at a high level but he just can't do it physically these days like he used to. Andy will end up in the International Tennis Hall of Fame some day and deservedy so. :D He has given alot to tennis over the years and we should be thankful for that.

SapELee
09-07-2012, 12:22 AM
All About Andy
A fond farewell to American tennis's almost-golden boy (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8343224/looking-back-career-andy-roddick-retires-professional-tennis)

SapELee
10-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Not sure where to post this.

Andy somehow made the list of "The 25 Fittest Men in Politics" :spit:

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/fittest-politicians?cm_mmc=DailyDoseNL-_-1065308-_-10082012-_-FittestPoliticians-body (http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/fittest-politicians?cm_mmc=DailyDoseNL-_-1065308-_-10082012-_-FittestPoliticians-body)

Deboogle!.
10-10-2012, 03:30 AM
um i uh um uh uh i don't know what to say :haha:

arodfanpe666o
10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Never knew Andy had 36 titles, including Wimbledon (rofl)

SapELee
11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Players Attend Inaugural Raonic Race For Kids (http://the-slice.com/2012/11/players-attend-inaugural-raonic-race-for-kids/)

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/549025_529742840387521_602340396_n.jpg

Serena Williams, Andy Roddick, Daniel Nestor and more were on hand last night in Toronto to help Milos Raonic at the Raonic Race For Kids inaugural event. Raonic has recently launched the Milos Raonic Foundation, a charitable organization to support initiatives to reduce economic, physical and other barriers that may prevent disadvantaged children from becoming healthy, productive members of society.

http://the-slice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/378479_529743253720813_1554689160_n.jpg

SapELee
12-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Andy Roddick into Miami Cup final: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8699561/retired-andy-roddick-trumps-andy-murray-make-miami-cup-final

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Recently retired Andy Roddick beat third-ranked Andy Murray 6-2, 6-3 on Saturday in the Miami Tennis Cup exhibition event.

Roddick will play 11th-ranked Nicolas Almagro of Spain in the final Sunday. Almagro advanced with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over 14th-ranked John Isner.

Murray, trailing 2-5 in the first set, surrendered his serve in the eighth game when he sailed a backhand crosscourt wide. In the second set, Murray saved two break points from down 0-40, but couldn't convert the third to give Roddick a 5-3 lead. At 15-0, Roddick double-faulted twice in a row, but went on to win the final three points of the match with a service winner and two forehand winners.

"If we had gone three sets I would've had a full body cramp and it would've been awkward for all of you," said Roddick, who kept a running dialogue with the crowd. "There's no comeback (to tennis for me).

"Andy was nice to me tonight."

Roddick has put on four pounds since retiring following the U.S. Open. He says he's content in retirement and is playing a lot of golf.

"I don't miss the travel at all," Roddick said. "It's nice coming here and seeing familiar faces. I still enjoy hitting tennis balls, but I haven't lost that part of it. I haven't lost any of the innocent parts of tennis. I just do it in front of less people."

Murray, the Olympic gold medalist and U.S. Open champion, wasn't surprised that Roddick won.

"Andy hasn't hit that many balls the last few months," Murray said. "Maybe his timing was a little bit off, but he still hits the ball very well. It was only a few months ago he was making a decent run at the U.S. Open."

Roddick has beaten Almagro both times they met in straight sets and both meetings were on hard courts. They met here at Crandon Park in the 2010 Miami Masters quarterfinals and the 2011 Shanghai Masters in the round of 16.

SapELee
12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Official site of the Miami Tennis Cup: http://www.miamitenniscup.com/

WELCOME TO THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE 2012 MIAMI TENNIS CUP!

The highly anticipated competition is the first of its kind to launch in the U.S. and receives its inauguration in South Florida, featuring six of today’s top ranked ATP professionals, including an exclusive appearance by U.S. Open Champion and British Olympic Gold Medalist, Andy Murray, and French Open Champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, the former world number one player from Spain. The tournament will also be a tribute to the iconic career of Florida resident, Andy Roddick, who will also be participating as part of his homecoming farewell tour. The “Super Six” clash of the titans will play in a double-elimination, round robin tournament format that will also feature ATP heavyweights Nicolás Almagro (ESP), Alejandro Falla (COL) and top ranked American, John Isner. All matches played throughout the three-day tournament will take place on the stadium court at Crandon Park

Dead Net Cord
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
ATP HERITAGE: ANDY RODDICK, 2003

On 23 August, ATP celebrates the 40th anniversary of the Emirates ATP Rankings. We continue our countdown with a look at Andy Roddick, the 2003 year-end No. 1. #ATPHeritage

Andy Roddick was as brash and edgy as any player in tennis history, but sustained a fundamental humility and sense of his own good fortune throughout his career.

Roddick first became No. 1 in the Emirates ATP Rankings on 3 November 2003, during the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris. He spent 13 weeks at the summit of the sport.

"You can get hot and win a Grand Slam over a two-week period, but the year-end ranking is a 52-week process," said Roddick. "The year-end No. 1s, I think they are the ones remembered in our sport."

Roddick learned that he had become the year-end No. 1 in 2003 while eating at a Mexican restaurant in Houston. He was watching Andre Agassi beat Juan Carlos Ferrero in the Tennis Masters Cup [now named Barclays ATP World Tour Finals].

"The coolest thing about it for me was that my childhood idol won the match that made me No. 1," said Roddick. "It was just one of those ‘somebody pinch me so I know this is for real’ moments. It was surreal."

Roddick won his lone major at the 2003 US Open, beating Ferrero – the man he would replace at No. 1 eight weeks later. The Nebraskan lost to Roger Federer in his four other major championship final appearances (2004-05, '09 Wimbledon, 2006 US Open).

His serve was his outstanding weapon, but his baseline game featured a dangerous forehand and a backhand that evolved into a versatile tool.

Roddick was ranked in the year-end Top 10 of the Emirates ATP Rankings for nine straight years (2002-2010); he reached 17 major quarter-finals and won five of his nine ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title matches. He won 32 singles titles and retired in September 2012.

Read more about Roddick in "No. 1", our special commemorative coffee table book, celebrating all year-end ATP World Tour No. 1s over the past 40 years.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/33/Heritage-2003-No-1-Roddick.aspx