Miami SF: Roddick obliterates Nadal 4-6 6-3 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami SF: Roddick obliterates Nadal 4-6 6-3 6-3

Pages : [1] 2

Lopez
04-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Yes, thread title is a stab at the Rafa def Nalbandian title :lol:

Roddick needed to be more aggressive with groundstrokes than normal and smarter with his net approaches and he did just that after the first set. Loved the S&V. :yeah:

That being said, Nadal still shaky in the important moments, which isn't normal of him. Clay season a final confidence booster? Though he did make two consecutive HC TMS semifinals. Not probably exactly bad for his confidence. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

Speed of Light
Rafa just couldn't wait for the clay season...
Duck can enjoy his 2nd consecutive masters final...
Everyone is happy..

azinna
Roddick suddenly raised his game -- or switched it completely -- in that second set...

And Rafa simply fell apart

SheepleBuster
I am a big Roddick fan. Just for today. Seriously. The guy has heart. I give him that. He showed a lot of heart today.

Sham Kay
Lololol

rubbERR
well done roddick

gorgo1986
04-02-2010, 08:23 PM
How Nadal turned from one of the mentally toughest players' to the mental midget he is today. Its really sad, I can't even comment anymore! He is an emotionally fragile mess and I do not see him coming out of it anytime soon.

scarecrows
good win for fighting duck

Fiberlight1
Roddick won that match... Nadal played tight at times.. but Andy changed gameplans and it worked.. Hats off.

Acer
Stick a fork in it!

HKz
Predicted. More points for me for my draw challenge. Thanks Andy.

jonas
Impressive.

Surcouf
Nadal is washed up completely.

He is becoming an embarassment for himself.

He should retire if he does not want to end up like Safin.

madmax
NID:banana: Duck is REAL Top 10 player, meaning too good for Nadull...Good luck in the final Andy

LleytonMonfils
04-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Roddick just wakes up and goes to work day after day. Guy grinds like no other player on tour. Mad props!

tyruk14
Nadal is still a milky-pale shadow of his former clutch self. When things start going the other guy's way he begins to drop the ball short. He can't win titles like that.

Still, he'll win Monte Carlo and Barcelona, probably Rome and probably Roland Garros, where his short balls aren't as much of a problem.

timafi
Rafa thanks for all the errors you idiot.You made Roddick look better than he actually is.Go home:mad:

Roddick looked as if he has won Wimbledon:rolleyes:

thank GOD clay court season is upon us,won't see Roddick's punk ass until after

uNIVERSE mAN
Roboduck.

Geo
Roddick played well :shrug: Shockingly, he beat a top 4 player in a Masters :eek: :lol:

but embarrassingly bad from Nadal after he was up 6-4 3-4 :shrug: waaaaay too many loose points. Can't believe he made so many mistakes :shrug:
He should be ashamed of himself for losing to Roddick :tape:

Bad Religion
Retire from tennis Nadal , you pathetic sack of shit
How a top 5 player can lose to a mug with no game ?

SheepleBuster
An aggressive Roddick can really win Wimbledon, especially if Roger continues to struggle with his "timing." He needs to play like the games he broke Nadal. Absolutely brilliant.

RIboy
04-02-2010, 08:25 PM
well deserved, Rafa is an idiot

l_mac
04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
That was absolutely pathetic from Rafa. I don't have a lot of patience for players who are weak mentally.

Roddick, well played :yeah: :worship: Good Luck in the final!

moonlightdance
holy flipping cow. suddenly roddick was just running down everything & holding his own in baseline rallies. congrats andy. seriously, rafa?

ReturnWinner
Good job Rodduck :yeah:, Roddick was playing his usual passive in the first set until the middle of the second, playing some long rallies but

losing most of them, in a moment Nadull was like 15 -0 in forehand winners until He started to be more agressive and hitting deeper specially to break in 3-4 then He gained in confidence and hit even some good volleys and with the help of his great serves could hold until the end.

krinix
04-02-2010, 08:27 PM
It brings me to tears to see Rafa choke time and again over the last year and a half.
What has become of a champion?

SetSampras
What in the hell? How does Rafa win the 1st set, then get demolished the next two to fucking Roddick? That would never happen to pre-injury Nadal

dombrfc
Wow.

Sky just showed Nadal going mad at a change of ends.. what happened there anybody?

Congrats Roddick, still dont like you though.

River
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee172/natsuketakeda/Roddicl.jpg

Awesome.

DartMarcus
04-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Very impressed by Andy today. :worship:

TMJordan
Honestly....FUCK YOU TSONGA

shaggy
nadal obviously is not physically giant anymore. as the match went on his game was all the worse.

krinix
Wow.

Sky just showed Nadal going mad at a change of ends.. what happened there anybody?

What really happened? I didnt see that!!!

nanoman
Hats off to Roddick. After 1.5 sets he finally started to play tennis. Too late for Nadal to change gears.

Jomp1
Jeez, the third set was so unRafa-esque as it can be.

Voo de Mar
Roddick played great match from tactical point of view, through 1.5 set it seemed like another 6-4 7-5 for Nadal and out of the sudden Roddick began to play stronger forehands and was attacking to the net with high frequency (even after 2nd serve). I think it was the key, surprised Nadal lost his rhythm and calmness as well.

Nadal hasn't won a tournament in his last 13 attempts - his worst streak since had won first title in Sopot '04.

Sander.
Andy :worship:

DrJules
That was absolutely pathetic from Rafa. I don't have a lot of patience for players who are weak mentally.

That match owed a lot to Roddick starting to hit groundstrokes with more power and forcing his way to the net. The serve from Roddick was very good all match.

ChinoRios4Ever
Rafa once again can't win the turning point match :rolleyes: let's see what happens in the clay season

what a coach this Stefanki :worship: take the title A-Rod :yeah:

Lopez
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM

He'll bounce back :yeah:. Will probably get the wins in the clay season again.

Though what do you mean by not having patience? Surely not that you would desert Nadal like a good old bandwagoner :devil: :D ?

Aaric
I hope Berdych doesnt win today, another random player winning a masters 1000 would be :spit:
Congrats to Andy though :yeah:

FNT
Anybody have any explanation what Rafa's tantrums were about? Just playing poorly or was there something else? I was watching a feed with Hungarian commentary))

As for the match, Rafa suddenly started playing like crap all of a sudden and it's not the first time it happens to him. Mental midget, really? Not ready to go there yet.

Euroquitter
Nice work, Andy :drool:
Annoying Nadal is out and Roddick again in the final, hopefully he can win the title this time! :D

Persimmon
I have to say that Nadal has lost his mental strenght and endurance and without those 2 things he is not the Nadal we used to know...

tangerine_dream
04-02-2010, 08:30 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/119xhzr.jpg

Andy Fucking Roddick, bitches.

:rocker2: :rocker2: :rocker2:

DJ Soup
I like how Roddick proves time after time how a great fighter he is and that he really is a Top 10 player.

DrJules
Roddick played great match from tactical point of view, through 1.5 set it seemed like another 6-4 7-5 for Nadal and out of the sudden Roddick began to play stronger forehands and was attacking to the net with high frequency (even after 2nd serve). I think it was the key, surprised Nadal lost his rhythm and calmness as well.

Nadal hasn't won a tournament in his last 13 attempts - his worst streak since had won first title in Sopot '04.

The first half of the match seemed a totally different Roddick from the 2nd half.

Had to believe they were the same player.

rofe
Nadal played well but disturbingly fell apart in the latter half of the 3rd set. I guess it is a confidence issue which will be easily restored once he starts playing on clay.

Roddick suddenly started opening his shoulders in the 2nd set and started hitting flatter and that paid immediate dividends and through the rest of the match. Well played Duck.

Topspin Forehand
Miami should really play Roddick and Nadal during the day or night. Not fair Nadal has to play a late night match and then play at noon unless Roddick does it as well.

MacTheKnife
Great change of tactics. Very solid match from roddick. His athletic ability is way underestimated.

born_on_clay
04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Rafa is no more the same player again

samanosuke
I didn't expect this . All credits to the duck

aussie_fan
That was impressive, so much heart and fight out there from Andy, played such a great match to come back and win, finally played aggressive.

pica_pica
I only watched first 5 games (set 1) and last 2 games (set 3) and thought I was watching 2 entirely different matches. Seriously, how can Nadal start so brilliantly but end with so much frustration and errors? :retard:
Congratulations Roddick and his fans! :yeah: Big turnaround.

FedererBulgaria
Love ittttttttt

Lopez
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM
I hope Berdych doesnt win today, another random player winning a masters 1000 would be :spit:
Congrats to Andy though :yeah:

Well the winner of Soda-Berdych is the one I'll be slightly rooting for. Hopefully Soda takes his first TMS :yeah:

krinix
Ohh Rafa, Will you ever get back to your old self? ohh dear

martinatreue
Jeez, the third set was so unRafa-esque as it can be.

Stop drinking the Rafa Kool-Aid... this is like his 15th choke in the last year LOL.. He is not all that anymore... He lost his Sparta passport along with every other guy in the ATP.. Every single one of them chokes often and Rafa is right up there in the choking department these days.

oematoema
Very nice Roddick! Nadal can go home and then show his stuff on clay...maybe.

As Roddick is getting older, he's getting more and more likeable. He'll end up as Ljubicic with a huge bandwagon and all former haters will convert and shed tears when he wins a big title at the age of 32.

superslam77
04-02-2010, 08:33 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
HE is out!!! he is out!!!! Miami is saved!!! the master series 1000 reputation is still in place :bigclap:

I don't want Nadull to ever win anything again, you hear me?? get out of here Nadull and NEVER return!

Evil defeated very Evil today!!!
Like a small demon defeating the Devil :worship:

Come on Soderking!!!

SheepleBuster
04-02-2010, 08:35 PM
HE is out!!! he is out!!!! Miami is saved!!! the master series 1000 reputation is still in place :bigclap:

I don't want Nadull to ever win anything again, you hear me?? get out of here Nadull and NEVER return!

Come on Soderking!!!

I dislike Roddick and what he stands for. But I was pulling for him so hard today. I am tired of Nadal's fake fist pumps and fakeness in general

cobalt60
Alright:yeah:

Topspin Forehand
Very nice Roddick! Nadal can go home and then show his stuff on clay...maybe.

As Roddick is getting older, he's getting more and more likeable. He'll end up as Ljubicic with a huge bandwagon and all former haters will convert and shed tears when he wins a big title at the age of 32.
He never was likeable imo. The way he acted toward Djokovic and embarrassing Wade in tennis. I hope Berdych wins this tournament.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Unbelieveable match, unbelievable change of momentum midway the 2nd set. I could barely believe it was the same Roddick out there if it weren't for me watching it with my own eyes. :speakles:

In the first set Rafa was creaming him, and it looked like it would be an easy straight-sets victory for him till midway the 2nd. Rafa was playing decently and Roddick was pushing - the only points that Roddick was able to make were on his serve and a couple of UEs from Rafa. Suddenly, however, Roddick remembered that 'pushing from the baseline' wasn't going to do the trick against Rafa, changed his game plan, and became a lot more aggressive. A Dr. Jeckyl - Mr. Hyde kind of change I daresay, from 'helpless pusher' to Wimbledon 2009-mode! :eek:

Won the 2nd, and in the 3rd, Roddick was literally brimming with confidence - even tanking Rafa's serve games after he got the quick break. And Rafa's confidence went downhill equally fast. Not a pleasant sight (for me). :( :sad:

Those who call it merely a 'choke' by Rafa are being unfair to Roddick - Roddick stepped it up, changed his game, and ran off with the victory as the better player. So, congrats to him! :hatoff:

Rafa... :hug: :hug: :hug: - get ready for the clay, YOUR part of the season is nigh. The title drought will surely end up there. :)

fasnik
04-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Good bye Nadal!

:)

M4RC
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM

Come on Soderking!!!

:retard:

Team_Roddick
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
What a joy watching Andy playing such a incredible tennis. :)

DJ Soup
04-02-2010, 08:38 PM
what a coach this Stefanki :worship: take the title A-Rod :yeah:

Really?
First set Roddick, that's Stefanki.
Second half of the Match, that's vintage Roddick

missvarsha
Miami should really play Roddick and Nadal during the day or night. Not fair Nadal has to play a late night match and then play at noon unless Roddick does it as well.

Oh please - its not like they played a 6 hour match up into midnight last night.
Both of them had more than 1+ day of rest which is enough for elite athletes.

Strange how the same fans claim "Oh he is JUST 24 he has a 100 years ahead of him to improve and break records" when a certain player is winning and "Oh he is an ancient decrepit man who only lost because he got 6 hours less rest" when he loses.
Andy Roddick did a little bit of what Nadal has being doing to players for ages - fought it out and gritted out a win - whether it comes of his winners or his opponents errors is irrelevant.

On a side note, :devil: Nadal gets all the extra rest he needs between each point, which no other player gets so its all even.

alter ego
Nadull titleless for almost a year now.:drool:

Thank you Roger and kolya for beating this moonballer in his last finals. Now Del Po it is your turn to come back on clay and take the spaniard strength.

Good stuff for you duck to reach yet another final but you must now fail to Soderking.

Topspin Forehand
04-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Btw the courts sure sped up here. Wonder if the crew did some work smoothing out the court.

superslam77
I dislike Roddick and what he stands for. But I was pulling for him so hard today. I am tired of Nadal's fake fist pumps and fakeness in general

:haha: the only matchup i will cheer for Duck...bear in mind i don't hate Nadull anymore(kinda). Nadull scored points when he confessed he hates religion :worship:...so yeah G.W Bush is way more evil.

Man i want King to win :yippee:

duong
Frankly speaking, it was the most convincing match I've seen from Nadal since Madrid last year, and apart from Doha :shrug:

You can lose even if you're great, if you face a player on-fire :shrug:

Roddick is a great player, I think people will remember it after that ;)

If he wins the tournament, he will be number 1 in the Race.

As for Nadal, his power is back at his best, then he will be like every year on clay, which I doubted before this match sincerely.

Maybe he still lacks a little bit speed to react on tense balls, which has been a problem for one year (remember he has won Wimbledon : for that he needed to react very quickly on these balls),

but it's not the reason of his defeat : Roddick was just on fire from 4-3 second set, and it's very hard for everybody (including Federer) when he plays like that :shrug:

Nadal will find back his ground on clay. In Wimbledon it may be harder.

Roddick will get confidence back, which is very good for him for Wimbledon ;)

martinatreue
04-02-2010, 08:40 PM

It was awesome, dude... I was so rooting for Roddick... He only gets my support against Gonzo, Rafa and Blake basically. Nadal is just so fake and tries to just rub salt in his competitor's wounds with all of his histrionics. :mad:

Roddickominator
Roddick tried to push like he usually does for the first set and a half....he wanted to use lots of spin and angles to try and get Nadal off balance. He should have known that wouldn't work...Andy ended up on the defensive just hitting balls down the center of the court and Rafa had him on a string every rally. Andy served well throughout, but had one bad service game in the first set and was broken.

After the first set and a half, Andy abandoned his pushing+spin+angles gameplan and decided to just start ripping it and going to net. After the first few big Roddick forehands, Rafa was startled and began to play more passively. And that was all she wrote. Andy served huge and blasted forehands...and was surprisingly effective at net even after 2nd serves and slices.

Impressive match from Andy.

andreevforehand

Yep, #162 here :). Rafa has looked fragile of late whereas Roddick has upped his solid gameplay.

Michael Bluth
04-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Rafa is way too passive in the big moments these days, waits for his opponent to miss and doesn't take the initiative. But it wouldn't have mattered if Andy hadn't found his attacking game and executed it very well. Congratulations to him.

SheepleBuster
04-02-2010, 08:41 PM
:haha: the only matchup i will cheer for Duck...bear in mind i don't hate Nadull anymore(kinda). Nadull scored points when he confessed he hates religion :worship:...so yeah G.W Bush is way more evil.

Man i want King to win :yippee:

I am ready to forgive G.W.Bush for his war crimes if Nadal never wins another title. But Cheney will definitely get his justice (jail hopefully) no matter what :devil:

Topspin Forehand
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Oh please - its not like they played a 6 hour match up into midnight last night.
Both of them had more than 1+ day of rest which is enough for elite athletes.

Strange how the same fans claim "Oh he is JUST 24 he has a 100 years ahead of him to improve and break records" when a certain player is winning and "Oh he is an ancient decrepit man who only lost because he got 6 hours less rest" when he loses.
Andy Roddick did a little bit of what Nadal has being doing to players for ages - fought it out and gritted out a win - whether it comes of his winners or his opponents errors is irrelevant.

On a side note, :devil: Nadal gets all the extra rest he needs between each point, which no other player gets so its all even.
Different conditions between day and night. And Roddick gets the advantage again for the finals. I'm not a fan of night matches but alternating between day and night can really mess up a players rhythm. No coincidence Nadal had his struggles going from a night match to a day match in Indian Wells as well. It doesn't matter at what level you play at. The other opponent is also at the same level and these little things make a difference. Congrats to Roddick but Nadal was obviously off today.

paseo
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Roddick!!!!!

madmax
04-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Btw the courts sure sped up here. Wonder if the crew did some work smoothing out the court.

:haha::haha:Awesome...

kinski76
Frankly speaking, it was the most convincing match I've seen from Nadal since Madrid last year, and apart from Doha :shrug:

You can lose even if you're great, if you face a player on-fire :shrug:

Roddick is a great player, I think people will remember it after that ;)

If he wins the tournament, he will be number 1 in the Race.

As for Nadal, his power is back at his best, then he will be like every year on clay, which I doubted before this match sincerely.

Maybe he still lacks a little bit speed to react on tense balls, which has been a problem for one year (remember he has won Wimbledon : for that he needed to react very quickly on these balls),

but it's not the reason of his defeat : Roddick was just on fire from 4-3 second set, and it's very hard for everybody (including Federer) when he plays like that :shrug:

Nadal will find back his ground on clay. In Wimbledon it may be harder.

Roddick will get confidence back, which is very good for him for Wimbledon ;)

:yeah: Anybody with well-functioning eyes and half a brain would agree with this, but haters gonna hate anyway.

Har-Tru
:banana:

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 08:45 PM
That match owed a lot to Roddick starting to hit groundstrokes with more power and forcing his way to the net. The serve from Roddick was very good all match.

Apparently Roddick trusted his own serving ability so much today that he even decided to tank all of Rafa's serve games after the break in the 3rd set. At least, that's what I believe was happening.

That display of sheer confidence must have sent a message to Rafa and I wonder how much it influenced - or even instigated - Rafa's mental collapse at the end of the match... :scared:

I hope/trust Rafa will find back his confidence soon, in Monte Carlo.

Harmless
I only got to see the 3rd set, and it was building up as a very exciting set of tennis, I wanted to see a tiebreak. :(
The atmosphere was great and they were both showing a lot of will and desire today, which was a great surprise since I had expected a far meeker affair.

It's interesting to see Rafa changing his on-court behaviour a bit, he's entering a new phase and I like that he's changing with it.

And :rolleyes: at everyone burying Nadal already, it's really silly.
Firstly, he's grown up a bit and isn't a tireless teenager anymore (shock, horror, disbelief :eek:!), and secondly, winning, like losing, is a habit. That Rafa has gotten out of.
He needs time to get back to winning tournaments and having confidence again, which I'm sure will happen for him eventually.

http://i39.tinypic.com/119xhzr.jpg

I love this gif. :rolls:

dylan24
nadal needs canas' "coaching" help if you know what i mean.

Orysbestos
Oh my. This is what they call "a new low".

Get it together, Rafa!!!

ChinoRios4Ever
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Really?
First set Roddick, that's Stefanki.
Second half of the Match, that's vintage Roddick

Yeah, bring back those coach legends John Roddick and Dean Goldfine when Andy played his "best" tennis... :zzz:

In the other hand, gotta love those delusional Rafa's haters :rolleyes:

paseo
04-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Wow.

Anybody got a video of this? Please, post it here.

Han Fei-tzu
04-02-2010, 08:49 PM
He should never lose to Roddick. Their games match up perfectly in Nadal's favor.

I picked him to win the tournament on a long shot after the completion of the second round so I'm sad to see that prediction remain unfulfilled but there were a couple of positive signs this week. His play against Tsonga in particular was what we have come to expect from Nadal in the past couple of years.

Horatio Caine
04-02-2010, 08:50 PM
A little surprised by the result, but definitely not shocked...we all know that as long as Roddick's serve is functioning (and 95% of the time it is) he is always in with a shot. :shrug: Huge credit to Roddick...his game may not be interesting to watch, but the guy has enormous heart and doesn't give up...certainly proof to anyone that you can achieve more if you are determined enough, and as far as tennis goes some of his fellow pros (and immediate rivals) could learn from him.

However, it is interesting that Rafa has lost successive matches to players who couldn't dominate him from the baseline. For instance, you wouldn't be so surprised if Fed, Soderling, Del Potro, Tsonga etc had beaten him, and this is surely not a particularly good sign for Rafa if he is hoping to claim that elusive US Open title (which we know will be very tough for him to do). Might also be a sign that he could struggle to reassert himself on the grass as well...

Surcouf
I only got to see the 3rd set, and it was building up as a very exciting set of tennis, I wanted to see a tiebreak. :(
The atmosphere was great and they were both showing a lot of will and desire today, which was a great surprise since I had expected a far meeker affair.

It's interesting to see Rafa changing his on-court behaviour a bit, he's entering a new phase and I like that he's changing with it.

Firstly, he's grown up a bit and isn't a tireless teenager anymore (shock, horror, disbelief :eek:!), and secondly, winning, like losing, is a habit. That Rafa has gotten out of.
He needs time to get back to winning tournaments and having confidence again, which I'm sure will happen for him eventually.

You like Nadal's attitude of being a loser and not fighting anymore for a match?

COA
Great comeback, it's unbelievable how much better is his game when Duck starts playing stronger and faster and attacking with his forehand.

Come on Andy, this time go on and win final.

Acer
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Nadal is still a milky-pale shadow of his former clutch self. When things start going the other guy's way he begins to drop the ball short. He can't win titles like that.

Still, he'll win Monte Carlo and Barcelona, probably Rome and probably Roland Garros, where his short balls aren't as much of a problem.

The short balls didn't cut it even on clay against Soderling last year.

Topspin Forehand
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
He should never lose to Roddick. Their games match up perfectly in Nadal's favor.

I picked him to win the tournament on a long shot after the completion of the second round so I'm sad to see that prediction remain unfulfilled but there were a couple of positive signs this week. His play against Tsonga in particular was what we have come to expect from Nadal in the past couple of years.
But you could say Roddick's baseline games suits everyone. His serve is another story. Conditions seemed fast and I thought Miami was supposed to be heavy. Not today. Courts are faster than Indian Wells.

a_boy
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Some great S&V points from Roddick in the latter part of the match. He was hitting all those volleys really deep. Nice to see someone take out Nadal like that. :D

What was up with Nadal's punching his knee in the third set? Maybe getting his excuses in early?

OnyxRose
04-02-2010, 08:54 PM
LMAO. I love it. I thought Rafa was going to bury Andy, haters???

Congrats Andy! That last set was so vintage Roddick.

ossie
quarter final at iw and semifinals miami and more importantly still injury free (i hope) i dont think nadal did bad people are exaggerating, nadal had trouble on hard courts even on his best days so cant wait for clay and grass season where nadal will shine :D

Corey Feldman
lol at Nadal self harming himself near the end

not so much fun when someone drives you mental with their tennis and over celebrates in your face, is it Rafa

:rolls:

Nidhogg
Very impressive turnaround from Roddick. All of the sudden in the second set he scrapped his moronic tactics and went for his shots with great determination. He may be an ass, but he's got heart. Full cred to the guy.
Nadal was left as rattled and frustrated as I've ever seen him. Good thing for him is that he seems to be in one piece for this year's clay season. His problems are mental, and by winning matches and titles he will bounce back. I will be seriously surprised otherwise.

DrJules

Not the way Roddick played from middle of 2nd set.

Although Roddick not normally like that.

FEDERERBEAUTY
04-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Woohooooo!
I should listen to my heart more. I just had a feeling Andy would do it but went with my head which said Nadal would probably win.

Really pleased for Roddick. Go win the title now A-Rod

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Andy :worship: I knew ur FH still had immense power, and thanks for showing it today :D

Persimmon
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Exactly:eek:

martinatreue
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM

not so much fun when someone drives you mental with their tennis and over celebrates in your face, is it Rafa

THIS!!! :worship:

Tutu
04-02-2010, 09:02 PM

Exactly.

Harmless
04-02-2010, 09:03 PM
You like Nadal's attitude of being a loser and not fighting anymore for a match?
I like that he's starting to see that you can't be 21 your entire career.
His increasing show of anger and frustration is, in my view, showing that he's slowly accepting that and hopefully it will eventually push him to start adapting his game in a way that will get him confidence again and be well-suited to his current strengths and weaknesses. That's all I meant.

Before, he'd just grind out the tail end of the match, whichever way he could. He probably doesn't have that kind of energy anymore, so he has to start playing smarter and thinking quicker. Hopefully in time he will.

Swiss Mountain
Nadal... LOL

Certinfy
I love the thread title :drool:

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Roddick outplayed Rafa in the last sets :eek:, Stefanki really has changed him. This time last year Rafa would have caned him :sad:. The injury screwed him over bad

a_boy
04-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Apparently Roddick trusted his own serving ability so much today that he even decided to tank all of Rafa's serve games after the break in the 3rd set. At least, that's what I believe was happening.

That display of sheer confidence must have sent a message to Rafa and I wonder how much it influenced - or even instigated - Rafa's mental collapse at the end of the match... :scared:

Haha, that crossed my mind too. There was one Rafa service game where Roddick just stood on the spot and watched all the serves go past him.

I wouldn't put it past Roddick to think of a genius masterplan like that. :p

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Roddick just wakes up and goes to work day after day. Guy grinds like no other player on tour. Mad props!

A lot of truth in that.

Back to back US hard court finals for Roddick. It would be great if he can continue this at the USO.

Nadal has lost a striking # of matches recently after winning the first set. His mental game ATM is an utter shadow of what is used to be.

He also isn't consistent from day to day anymore.

All of this just makes clay season more intriguing.

Myrre
04-02-2010, 09:13 PM
I only watched first 5 games (set 1) and last 2 games (set 3) and thought I was watching 2 entirely different matches. Seriously, how can Nadal start so brilliantly but end with so much frustration and errors? :retard:
Congratulations Roddick and his fans! :yeah: Big turnaround.

Easy, Roddick was hitting very short and passively in the start, so that Nadal could dominate with his forehand. Then Roddick started hitting harder, slicing his backhand and going to the net. His serve was also rock solid. Nadal was just hoping for errors and had no plan B as usual. Well deserved victory to A-rod.

duong
04-02-2010, 09:14 PM

yes (quite like Ljubicic actually ;) )

On the contrary, Roddick had a very bad service game in the beginning of the match, which might have changed the first set.

Apart from that game, he was quite easy on his serves at that moment.

I don't think so, Nadal made less unforced errors in the end than in the beginning.

but on the opposite it was good for Roddick to concentrate better on his serves : the exact opposite from what Tsonga did against Nadal, he tried hard on every Nadal's serve, which drained him completely.

Roddick was just on-fire (and sometimes a little bit lucky, which is always necessary ;) ) but Nadal played well until the end maybe except that backhand before match point but he tried to slice because he was surprised by the ball.

But Roddick also gave him confidence by attacking twice on his forehand, which was a lethal error :lol: which might have put Nadal back into the match, nothing better than a forehand passing-shot to give Nadal confidence :lol: (generally speaking, Roddick seemed to have a natural tendency to play his forehands down-the-line, whereas it's far better to play them cross-line against Nadal when you're right-handed)

sammy01
you gotta hand it to roddick he chhanged it up and was more pro active going after his forehand mid way through the 2nd set. he lay down the challenge to nadal of look im going to go after it and sadly nadal did nothing to counteract it.

deserved win by roddick.

Guy Haines
His increasing show of anger and frustration is, in my view, showing that he's slowly accepting that and hopefully it will eventually push him to start adapting his game in a way that will get him confidence again and be well-suited to his current strengths and weaknesses. That's all I meant.

Before, he'd just grind out the tail end of the match, whichever way he could. He probably doesn't have that kind of energy anymore, so he has to start playing smarter and thinking quicker. Hopefully in time he will.

Hopefully.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Haha, that crossed my mind too. There was one Rafa service game where Roddick just stood on the spot and watched all the serves go past him.

I wouldn't put it past Roddick to think of a genius masterplan like that. :p

Well yes. I was a bit shocked to see that - seems like a very bold thing to do against Rafa, who is rightfully known for fighting back at every tiny opportunity he may get - and he even got a few (there was a game on Roddick's serve that went to deuce twice) of those.

Apparently Roddick was sending a message - something like, "hey buddy, you mentally tough? well me too, today!" :boxing:

I honestly thought it was going to bite Roddick in the ass eventually. :o

duong
04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
He also isn't consistent from day to day anymore.

He played better than against Tsonga : people who don't see that should re-watch the matches :rolleyes:

Nidhogg
04-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Good spot. :)

Nice to see Roddick mixing it up, coming in behind his second serve etc. It's not easy to hit winners on this court without counterpunching.

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Makes me wonder why Roddick actually decides to be a pusher in most of his matches :shrug: I mean when he was trying to be aggressive that FH was one of the best in the world!

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Really? I would never have guessed it. It's good to have your canny powers of perception about who is and isn't genuine. Be sure to send a memo about this to Elessar.

What exactly does Roddick "stand for," by the way?

duong
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Makes me wonder why Roddick actually decides to be a pusher in most of his matches :shrug: I mean when he was trying to be aggressive that FH was one of the best in the world!

I think it's generally good for him to develop that pushing game.

it's only that it's not good against Nadal, esp today where he cruelly lacked power when he didn't give everything.

When he plays calmly, Söderling has much more power than Roddick, Roddick needs to "give" more to be more powerful.

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 09:21 PM
I like how Roddick proves time after time how a great fighter he is and that he really is a Top 10 player.

Truth.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 09:22 PM

:yeah: - point is, folks are apprently also forgetting that, however young Rafa might still be, he's already a veteran in terms of a tennis career. Six long years on top of the game, having been #1 for a nearly a year, #2 for - what, three, four years? That is just... :o It inevitably means that 'something's gotta give' in the long run. :shrug:

I do trust him to find back his confidence come the clay court season though. :)

He played better than against Tsonga : people who don't see that should re-watch the matches :rolleyes:

I tend to agree for the most.

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Another thing to mention is Roddick's serve, for some reason when he plays the top guys he serves a hell of a lot better.

matlock
04-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Wow.

Nadal had just held serve to love or 15 I think, and it seemed to be a delayed reaction to losing his serve early in the 3rd. He was slapping his leg and violently swinging his arm like he knew Roddick was serving great and wasn't going to give the break back. He probably felt the pressure of holding serve, and mentally let it go for a moment and was upset with himself for that. After the next change of ends Rafa seemed to revive his hope in breaking to get back on serve, but couldn't quite do it in the end.

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 09:25 PM

I'm not saying he played better or worse from Tsonga to Roddick. His lack of consistency from day to day is especially apparent in the mental department.

I haven't been sold on 'Rafa is Back' yet and have yet to post anything like that.

The Tsonga win was a win against an immature player who Rafa has figured out.

Roddick is one of the most underestimated players on this board and on the tour.

Skyward
04-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Roddick is one of the most underestimated players on this board and on the tour.

Well, when Federer beats him, Roddick is always considered to be a mug who should have chosen to play baseball instead of tennis.

duong
04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
His lack of consistency from day to day is especially apparent in the mental department.

what do you mean by that ? you think that he failed mentally in the end ?

I think that he was surprised by Roddick's shots at 4-3 second set, which gave Roddick second set.

As Roddick didn't have much difficulty on his serve all match, one break was enough in final set.

But I really don't think that Nadal failed mentally : he was rather surprised by Roddick :shrug:

Roddick completely changed his game at this moment then it's impossible to compare Nadal between first and final part of the match.

I don't think that Nadal failed mentally in that match to be sincere. It would be more like that against Ljubicic in Indian Wells but this time he looked VERY confident. Which made him even more surprised, I think. But even in the end he looked as if he thought he could turn the match back.

hablovah19
:haha:

Had a hard time deciding who to cheer for though. :o

alfonsojose
I have to say that Nadal has lost his mental strenght and endurance and without those 2 things he is not the Nadal we used to know...

since he needed to drop some ju .. :ignore: muscles to save his knees he became the player he always should have been. His shots lack some punch and the backhand is good only on passing shots and against flat/hard paced shots

tennisace28
04-02-2010, 09:34 PM
i just knew from even before the match started that if this match got close, rafa would lose it and start hitting passively and wait for his opponents to miss. This has been happening to him OVER AND OVER since his return after missing Wimby last year. He is just so tense during big points and loses focus very easily these days. I would hate to see him being mentally fried so early in his career but what else can it be?? He has now lost too many close matches when he has been up dating from that match when he was ****** davydenko in the first set of the MASTERS SERIES FINAL IN SHANGHAI LAST YEAR!! He allowed davydenko to come back and beat him and its been the story ever since. Rafa just cannot close out matches anymore. Doesnt matter if he is up a set anymore, his mind goes on a walkabout, he starts spraying a few shots (against ljubicic last week mid second set) and today against roddick mid second set.

No offence to roddick and all his legion of admirers, but his game matches up badly against rafa, roddick has no backhand and his forehand is nowhere near penetrating enough to hurt rafa. Roddick is nothing without his serve, lets face it. He is one shot cannonball. Its one massive shit no doubt though. And ljubicic is too slow around the court to be hurting rafa. So these two losses rafa suffered especially after being one set up has me (ONE HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTERS) questioning RAFA REALLY IS TOAST OR NOT??

I have a horrible feeling deep in my gut this clay season is gonna be wide open as rafa does not seem to be able to dominate. Even in previous years, players like djokovic have pushed rafa very close to defeat and its only rafa's slight mental edge that enabled him to squeeze matches out on clay againt djokovic. Now that Rafa's mental edge seems to have become a mental DISADVANTAGE, what real prospect does he have againt the joker? And how about againts fed?? fed is always in with a real shot againt rafa on clay and more often then not, fed goes up a break against rafa on clay before rafa claws his way back and wins the match, but that mental strength that rafa HAD has vanished!! A dark horse that could give rafa major problems on clay is del potro with his massive groundies which translates well on clay. Del potro also has a huge fighting ability and a great desire to win which reminds me of rafa 2 years ago. He can really hurt rafa on clay. Davydenko is no exception as well on clay against rafa, as they have had very tight encounters with rafa squeezing it out on mental strength.

What I am trying to say is, WITHOUT MENTAL STRENGTH, RAFA IS A SHADOW OF HIS PREVIOUS SELF AND THIS IS TERRIFYING FOR ALL OF HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTERS AND FANS. PROVE ME DEAD WRONG RAFA...

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Andy Andy Andy :worship:

I knew he couldn't keep letting us down forever. Raised his game just as I hoped he would. Played the big points even better than Rafa. Awesome awesome turn-around. :worship:

Take the title now, and keep those haters/morons quiet. :yeah:

Swiss Mountain
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Happy for A Rod

TMJordan
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Don't worry all. Roddick can't win in the important matches. Nadal just sucks the big oen. :yeah:

Soderling or Berdych will hit Mandy off the court in the final, you better believe that.

tennisfaNo1
04-02-2010, 09:37 PM
only match in IW and Miami where both players had more winners than UE
great match to watch
nice to see roddick changed his game plan after 1st set

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 09:39 PM
So Andy will play either Tomas or Robin in the final, wouldn't be surprised if he goes out tomorrow being a pusher :o

Doomach777
04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
always good to see rafa loosing.

ReturnWinner
04-02-2010, 09:41 PM
So Andy will play either Tomas or Robin in the final, wouldn't be surprised if he goes out tomorrow being a pusher :o

He will, both Soderling and Berdych hit way bigger off both sides.

matlock

I agree. Roddick is very quick and consistent from the baseline, and appears to be getting quite comfortable at net. He will often steamroll quality players ranked in the top 50, which can give some of the other top 10 trouble. He does sometimes muscle the ball, or get burned by approaching cross-court to the forehand, but he seems to be fine-tuning his game enough to get the wins over the other top players. Most likely thanks to Stefanki.

elessar
Really? I would never have guessed it. It's good to have your canny powers of perception about who is and isn't genuine. Be sure to send a memo about this to Elessar.

Why am I in this conversation :unsure:?

Persimmon
What I am trying to say is, WITHOUT MENTAL STRENGTH, RAFA IS A SHADOW OF HIS PREVIOUS SELF AND THIS IS TERRIFYING FOR ALL OF HIS BIGGEST SUPPORTERS AND FANS. PROVE ME DEAD WRONG RAFA...

Exactly, MENTAL STRENGTH has always been Rafa's best weapon without it he is toast:eek:

Etern
04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I didn't watch the match but I have a feeling about Nadal that I want to share here. I have watched him for many years and I must admit that I am not huge fan of him. But this year I have been confused about his oncourt behavior, I kind of think of him as Ivanovic. It looks like he is trying to fist-pump himself together. Just like he doesn't believe in himself and want to make look like he is "in there". I would like to here your opinion about it :)

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I didn't watch the match but I have a feeling about Nadal that I want to share here. I have watched him for many years and I must admit that I am not huge fan of him. But this year I have been confused about his oncourt behavior, I kind of think of him as Ivanovic. It looks like he is trying to fist-pump himself together. Just like he doesn't believe in himself and want to make look like he is "in there". I would like to here your opinion about it :)

I think he generally does believe in himself, but when things get tough, he indeed fist-pumps to pump himself up again first and foremost (and NOT to intimidate the opponent, like I see haters claim so often :rolleyes:). He most often does so when he makes a good point when he's apparently in a 'losing' situation. Nothing wrong with that.

Bad Religion
04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Andy Andy Andy :worship:

I knew he couldn't keep letting us down forever. Raised his game just as I hoped he would. Played the big points even better than Rafa. Awesome awesome turn-around. :worship:

Take the title now, and keep those haters/morons quiet. :yeah:

I dislike this deluded moron so much
You got my vote for the ACC 2010

Julio
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
This Nadal is boring since some months now : he is the expert to lead 30-00* on opponent's serve and then it's time for some muggish action with stupid uefs.
He had A-Rod on his pocket but suddenly gave him an easy break (to love !) to keep Roddick in that semifinal.
Then Andy was more and more confident and tried a lot on Rafa's serve.
I wasn't a Roddick fan until he schooled Murray at Wimby last year. This guy is a champ', that's all. He knows how to win big matches.

DrJules
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM

It would be the correct tactic.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 09:51 PM

http://alesrarus.funkydung.com/images/troll.jpg

:wavey:

TMJordan
04-02-2010, 09:55 PM
This guy is a champ', that's all. He knows how to win big matches.

What the hell are you talking about man?

-Loss to Ljubo in the finals last week :worship:

-Loss to Verdasco in he finals at San Jose in Feb :haha:

-Loss to Isner at the USO last year :spit:

-Loss to Del Potro back to back weeks first Washington final and then Montreal SF :yeah:

-Of course the famous loss to Federer at Wimbledon. :D

Should I go on.......

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Can't believe I never understood why everyone always votes for you at the ACC.

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Why am I in this conversation :unsure:?

Thread is closed, but here's the link (http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=159370&page=3):

I'll drop it. But cyrusking cares plenty in extreme ways about Federer and Nadal. He was in hysterics over Federer's loss to Berdych.

Etern
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
I think he generally does believe in himself, but when things get tough, he indeed fist-pumps to pump himself up again first and foremost (and NOT to intimidate the opponent, like I see haters claim so often :rolleyes:). He most often does so when he makes a good point when he's apparently in a 'losing' situation. Nothing wrong with that.

First of all, thank you for a good answer.

If you watch WTA do you understand my thought about Ivanovic and Nadal? Of couse he is alot better player now but the mental side of it?

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 10:01 PM

Yes.

Team_Roddick
04-02-2010, 10:04 PM
(...)

But I really don't think that Nadal failed mentally : he was rather surprised by Roddick :shrug:

(...)

I can agree on this, absolutely.

For me, Nadal looked frustrated with the match slipping away from him so quickly.

alter ego
04-02-2010, 10:06 PM
i just knew from even before the match started that if this match got close, rafa would lose it and start hitting passively and wait for his opponents to miss. This has been happening to him OVER AND OVER since his return after missing Wimby last year. He is just so tense during big points and loses focus very easily these days. I would hate to see him being mentally fried so early in his career but what else can it be?? He has now lost too many close matches when he has been up dating from that match when he was ****** davydenko in the first set of the MASTERS SERIES FINAL IN SHANGHAI LAST YEAR!! He allowed davydenko to come back and beat him and its been the story ever since. Rafa just cannot close out matches anymore. Doesnt matter if he is up a set anymore, his mind goes on a walkabout, he starts spraying a few shots (against ljubicic last week mid second set) and today against roddick mid second set.

What the hell are you talking about ? I have that match on my computer. Davy was a break up in that set but went into Error mode for 4 and half games. Once his game got clean again he destroyed NAdal in the tiebreak.
Look at the statistic. Nadal had 4 winners!!! to 14 UEs while Davy had 25 to 26.

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
what do you mean by that ? you think that he failed mentally in the end ?

I think that he was surprised by Roddick's shots at 4-3 second set, which gave Roddick second set.

As Roddick didn't have much difficulty on his serve all match, one break was enough in final set.

Roddick completely changed his game at this moment then it's impossible to compare Nadal between first and final part of the match.

I don't think that Nadal failed mentally in that match to be sincere. It would be more like that against Ljubicic in Indian Wells but this time he looked VERY confident. Which made him even more surprised, I think. But even in the end he looked as if he thought he could turn the match back.

The Rafa of old would never have put himself in the position of being a break down in the final set, much less a three-set match where he won the first set. It's that simple.

A huge part of his dominance on tour had to do with the vise-like grip he would put on opponents after claiming a lead, or in the early stages of a deciding set. Aside from matches like Coria Monte Carlo early in his career, come from behind on a grand scale hasn't been his MO.

Yes, point to point he was much weaker against Ljubicic though. He went from tactical slices and offpace shots that messed up Ljubicic near the end of the final set, to weak topspin that set up Ljubicic winners. Today he was dominated.

Selby
04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
It would be the correct tactic.

No it wouldn't. When Andy plays like he played in the last 2 sets today he depends only on himself. If he serves well and if his forehand is on then he can win almost anybody, but if he pushes/moonballs he'll win only if his opponent is either not a good player or a good player who's having a bad day. Top players shouldn't rely on their opponents to play bad, they need to win by themselves.
I'm not saying he'll certainly win if he plays aggressively but that's his best shot.

JediFed
04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Nadal is done.

For the first time since 2005, he goes into Monte Carlo with 3 titles. MC, Rome and Barca. Now he's got to defend his points or fall out of the top ten.

Corey Feldman
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
even with this tournament slowed down to the pace of a clay court Nadal still cant win it :lol:

its actually 100 times slower at night and that was what cost Nadal today, he'd have never lost the night match to roddick

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
First of all, thank you for a good answer.

If you watch WTA do you understand my thought about Ivanovic and Nadal? Of couse he is alot better player now but the mental side of it?

I think I've already answered your question. ;)
Ivanovic does it a lot more often, but like you said - she is a far inferior WTA player than Nadal is at the ATP (no comparison, really!), so she feels the need to do it a lot more often than him. Even though people apparently think it's irritating, I don't see the big 'problem' with it at all - unless it's on an obvious opponent's UE - a double fault, a mishit and the like.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 10:13 PM
even with this tournament slowed down to the pace of a clay court Nadal still cant win it :lol:

its actually 100 times slower at night and that was what cost Nadal today, he'd have never lost the night match to roddick

Mikey :haha:

Some things worth checking in for? :ras: :lol:

FlameOn
04-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Roddick should S&V more often! :mad: It makes no sense why he never does it! It could be a way to punish Federer's float backhand slice ROS.

Viky-cro
04-02-2010, 10:16 PM

They both had a day off. xD :rolleyes:
Plus, soderling and berdych deserve night match because they've played yesterday :rolleyes:

anyway congrats andy, after first set I thought that Nadal will win in two. So glade I was wrong :) :D

Corey Feldman
04-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Some things worth checking in for? :ras: :lol::lol:

may as well check in and have a say on Rafa's last defeat until probably Cincinnati

Etern
04-02-2010, 10:18 PM
I think I'big ve already answered your question. ;)
Ivanovic does it a lot more often, but like you said - she is a far inferior WTA player than Nadal is at the ATP (no comparison, really!), so she feels the need to do it a lot more often than him. Even though people apparently think it's irritating, I don't see the big 'problem' with it at all - unless it's on an obvious opponent's UE.

Thanks again. And you probably answered my question but on MTF thats a shock :P

I always think it's said to see great players struggle, it's like an end on the world I know...

Ps. I don't see any problem with it at all, I like personality on court (and in life). ds

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
How many matches in a row has Rafa lost against top 9 players?

philosophicalarf
04-02-2010, 10:21 PM
How many matches in a row has Rafa lost against top 9 players?

Seven. He beat 9th ranked Tsonga in Paris.

12 in a row vs top8 though, stretching back to Djoko in Madrid semis last May.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks again. And you probably answered my question but on MTF thats a shock :P

I always think it's said to see great players struggle, it's like an end on the world I know...

'Sad', you mean?
Well yes it is. But, it's a mite different when you've been watching tennis for some three decades and have witnessed all your favs come-and-go, I guess. ;)
And I don't think either of my current favs are yet ready to 'leave the building', fortunately. :)

Etern
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes.

Ok now I know

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Seven. He beat 9th ranked Tsonga in Paris.

12 in a row vs top8 though, stretching back to Djoko in Madrid semis last May.Thanks :D

Hingisova
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Good win for Roddick who after trading shots with Nadal in the first set mentally "woke up":mad: (you're not going to win exchanging shots) so he varied his game plan and his shot making and voila "sweet victory":worship:..is it safe to assume that the dominance of Nadal and Fed are "gone" well, we'll see in the next majors who will emmerge but just makes things a bit more interesting no?:confused:

hingisova:wavey:

MalwareDie
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Lol. I started watching during the end of the first set. I thought Roddick was a goner for sure.

Etern
04-02-2010, 10:29 PM
'Sad', you mean?
Well yes it is. But, it's a mite different when you've been watching tennis for some three decades and have witnessed all your favs come-and-go, I guess. ;)
And I don't think either of my current favs are yet ready to 'leave the building', fortunately. :)

Yes sad is the word. And I can't say I have been watching tennis for three decades since I'm "only" 26 years old :P

Julio
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM

-Loss to Del Potro back to back weeks first Washington final and then Montreal SF :yeah:

Should I go on.......

Well, some losses are embarassing for a lot of players.
Roddick is playing well at the moment, that's not the case of others top players.

Guy Haines
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I think I've already answered your question. ;)
Ivanovic does it a lot more often, but like you said - she is a far inferior WTA player than Nadal is at the ATP (no comparison, really!), so she feels the need to do it a lot more often than him. Even though people apparently think it's irritating, I don't see the big 'problem' with it at all - unless it's on an obvious opponent's UE - a double fault, a mishit and the like.

One of the problems with 'rituals' -- and like Etern is suggesting, Ivanovic is a big WTA example, along with Sharapova -- is that when you start losing, the rituals start to seem empty.

Nadal has tons of rituals, some maybe more genuinely strange and OCD-ish than those WTA players. With Ivanovic you could see the doubt and forcedness of her celebrations, and a little of that is creeping into Nadal as of late, though he fist pumps much less than her.

The up side for Nadal is that his game has much more of a solid foundation than a Sharapova or an Ivanovic, who have gaping technical gaps. But he does seem at a loss right now about how to rediscover his tenacity.

tennisace28
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM
What the hell are you talking about ? I have that match on my computer. Davy was a break up in that set but went into Error mode for 4 and half games. Once his game got clean again he destroyed NAdal in the tiebreak.
Look at the statistic. Nadal had 4 winners!!! to 14 UEs while Davy had 25 to 26.

Apologies but I meant the final in DOHA against davydenko 2010!

Noleta
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
So Andy got game:pWell done:yeah:

Rafa:hug:

DrJules
04-02-2010, 10:33 PM
Congratulations on joining Davydenko, Murray and Ljubicic as part of the 2010 pig roasting club:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8908/animated20pig4ti6so6.gif

Etern
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
One of the problems with 'rituals' -- and like Etern is suggesting, Ivanovic is a big WTA example, along with Sharapova -- is that when you start losing, the rituals start to seem empty.

Nadal has tons of rituals, some maybe more genuinely strange and OCD-ish than those WTA players. With Ivanovic you could see the doubt and forcedness of her celebrations, and a little of that is creeping into Nadal as of late, though he fist pumps much less than her.

The up side for Nadal is that his game has much more of a solid foundation than a Sharapova or an Ivanovic, who have gaping technical gaps. But he does seem at a loss right now about how to rediscover his tenacity.

I feel the same as you. It's just the fist-pumps (and the other celebrations) that feels forced at the moment.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Congratulations on joining Davydenko, Murray and Ljubicic as part of the 2010 pig roasting club:

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8908/animated20pig4ti6so6.gif

Reported.

doublebackhand
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM

haha, thats the only thing i got right in the draw, Roddick beating Nadal in semi LOL Congrats Duckie!

MrChopin
04-02-2010, 10:53 PM
I think the divorce is still troubling him.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 10:55 PM
I think the divorce is still troubling him.

:rolleyes:

Actually it's amazing Rafa was even able to take court this week :shrug: Everyone knows he needs surgery.

LinkMage
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
:eek:

How could I miss this? :mad:
I need to watch the replay ASAP. :drool:

I went out thinking this would be a routine 6-3 6-4 victory for Rafito and didn't bother to watch this match.

Finally Robo Rod does something useful. Tournament partially saved, now Soderking needs to beat this pusher for the torurnament to be really saved. But this is good enough.

Dedicated to lmac and Bonnie the Cat. :D

-Valhalla-
04-02-2010, 10:58 PM
“It’s tough making predictions, especially about the future.”
- Yogi Berra

Another soul-destroying loss for Rafa, and shame on me for not even giving Roddick a puncher’s chance here. I thought Andy would get smoked because of his impotent groundstrokes and overall bad matchup, but he took Rafa to school and exposed some serious mental chinks in his armor. I thought this was some real gutsy tennis played with a chip on his shoulder -- due to being disrespected, overlooked, and marginalized by the tennis community -- and yes, this was Andy’s big "Fuck you" to the naysayers, myself included.

After a set of being thrashed, Andy refused to back down and stood toe-to-toe and slugged it out. It was a classic case of the 98 lb. weakling [tired of getting the sand kicked in his face] standing up to the H.S. bully , but this time, it was the bully who thought twice and backed down, and presto, upset city. Watching Rafa’s confidence ooze away is a depressing sight. Here, one of the most fearless and courageous warriors ever to play the game, mentally shattering, falling apart like a cheap suit. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion and just another prime example of how the game is played BETWEEN THE EARS at the highest level in any professional sport. We saw it last week against Ljuby as he admittted nerves, but this week, I thought he turned the corner. Apparently not.

If Andy maintains his current form and avoids those nagging injuries, I’ll put him as the odds-on favorite to win Wimbledon this year.

And as for Rafa, sorry, but no coffee for you ... Coffee is for closers.

MrChopin
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
:rolleyes:

Actually it's amazing Rafa was even able to take court this week :shrug: Everyone knows he needs surgery.

Will he go see that Italian laser doctor?

And as for Rafa, sorry, but no coffee for you ... Coffee is for closers.

Nice GGR reference.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Will he go see that Italian laser doctor?

No, he'll actually need cut. He thinks he can squeeze it in before Monte Carlo, I have my doubts.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
04-02-2010, 11:01 PM
This match really showed how Andy can benefit from being more aggressive. Back in 04/05 he used to really attack with his forehand. Then for some reason he decided to become a pusher. In this match, he found his old forehand again, and as soon as he started ripping it the way he used to, he was really damaging Rafa in the rallies.

Andi-M
04-02-2010, 11:03 PM
Roddick is a joy to watch when he plays this way. Really enjoyed his performance this match.

It was odd though a sudden unexplained momentum swing in Roddicks favor when it looked like Rafa was gonna bagel him 4 and 4.

tangerine_dream
04-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Q. What was the immediate thought or feeling right when you won the match? What did you think or feel?

ANDY RODDICK: I was like, I can't believe he actually just missed a ball on his forehand. Once I got past that, I was pretty happy.

:lol:

MrChopin
No, he'll actually need cut. He thinks he can squeeze it in before Monte Carlo, I have my doubts.

Not good news with a likely schedule of MC, Barcelona, Rome, and then pressure to play Madrid.

Certinfy
:haha: Andy :worship:

l_mac
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Not good news with a likely schedule of MC, Barcelona, Rome, and then pressure to play Madrid.

Yeah, well. Life's tough.

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
First time I've seen Rafael Nadal missing balls in the important moments. He must have been following Fed's example.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 11:11 PM
First time I've seen Rafael Nadal missing balls in the important moments. He must have been following Fed's example.

Haven't you watched any tennis this year?

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 11:12 PM

Well, I dunno. Federer is playing Rome, Estoril and Madrid in three weeks and then RG.
Rafa should be fine and if he isn't he will most likely skip Madrid. He must have learnt the lesson from the past year.

Deivid23
04-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Expected. Told ya what Rafa showed against Tsonga was not going to be enough

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
Haven't you watched any tennis this year?

Well, he did it against Ivan Ljubicic in one or two points but nothing that big, imo. Against Murray he was just not that good. Against Nikolay Davydenko, in spite of having a couple of match points, I have to give credit to Davydenko because he actually played incredibly well in those tight situations.

Against Roddick today, however, he clearly missed easy balls in important moments. I can honestly say that I've never seen him like that.
That's how I see it.

andylovesaustin
04-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Congrats to Andy for changing it up to win!
I thought it was funny at the end when Davenport(?) told Andy Justin G had picked Rafa to win the tournament. Andy replied, "That's what friends are for!" Then Just tried to make it up to Andy, and.. Andy just said "right," while taking off his head phones.

Really Andy should have been thought of as a contender all along because he's had some recent success. I think Andy is an underrated player because people forget how many grand slam finals he's been in---well fast court grand slam finals. Sure he's lost all but one, but he had to beat a lot of players to even get to the finals!

However.. this is the deal about Rafa...

Don't you all think Rafa is better in 5 set matches? See, I think Andy isn't that great in 5-setters, so that's why he's only won one grand slam. He can't seem to close them out--or history has shown he just can't close them out when it counts.

Rafa is better at wearing down his opponent. If this had been a 5-set match, I think Rafa would have worn Andy down, too.. Andy still might have won, but it would have gone to 5 sets.

That said, I think might Rafa might be messing with his game too much in order to be a better hard court player and maybe to have more longevity in the sport. I think he's sort of in a transition stage where he isn't very fluid, and he looks like a deer caught in headlights sometimes. It just doesn't come naturally for him. And it might affect him on clay,too, to where he can't transition back as easily..

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
This match really showed how Andy can benefit from being more aggressive. Back in 04/05 he used to really attack with his forehand. Then for some reason he decided to become a pusher. In this match, he found his old forehand again, and as soon as he started ripping it the way he used to, he was really damaging Rafa in the rallies.

I think the old aggressive approach is ideal for facing someone like Rafael Nadal.
Against someone like Federer on the other hand, I'd actually recommend him to adopt a somewhat more 'pushing' strategy. I think that could work.

habibko
04-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Roddick proving the Dubai win wasn't a fluke :worship: now win this Andy :yeah:

-Valhalla-
04-02-2010, 11:24 PM
Huge credit to Roddick...his game may not be interesting to watch, but the guy has enormous heart and doesn't give up...certainly proof to anyone that you can achieve more if you are determined enough

+10

habibko
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
lJnYfz6tSuo

Persimmon
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
[I]
If Andy maintains his current form and avoids those nagging injuries, I’ll put him as the odds-on favorite to win Wimbledon this year.

Nah. Wimbledon is Roger's. Just because Roddick beat hc mug Rafa on hc doesn't mean he will beat the GOAT at Wimbledon. How many times has Roddick lost to Roger at the slams? EIGHT:o

habibko
04-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Reported.

grow up.

-Valhalla-
04-02-2010, 11:31 PM
He has now lost too many close matches when he has been up dating from that match when he was ****** davydenko in the first set of the MASTERS SERIES FINAL IN SHANGHAI LAST YEAR!! He allowed davydenko to come back and beat him and its been the story ever since. Rafa just cannot close out matches anymore. Doesnt matter if he is up a set anymore, his mind goes on a walkabout

Yup, a very disturbing trend.

Good post.

l_mac
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
grow up.

Is that a personal insult? Reported.

Rafa's presser:

A. RODDICK/R. Nadal

4 6, 6 3, 6 3

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What do you think made the difference out there in today's match?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think I started the match playing pretty well in the beginning. Later I had the match, well, under control in the first set with my serve.
Later in the second set Andy was serving well. No, I didn't have a lot of chances on the return. He play very aggressive game and started to play more aggressive in the game where he did me the break. It was a change, and it was surprise foe me.
After that, in the third, you know, he put more pressure on my serve, attacking more. He was serving very regular, pretty well the third, second. Just congratulate him. He's playing really well. Yeah.

Q. Did you expect him to play serve and volley so much on his second serve?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he can do it well, no? Well, yeah, I didn't return very well today, but he did well. He played well.

Q. Now when you look back, what would you do? Would you do something different?
RAFAEL NADAL: You can always do. You can always do different things, no? But you never know. It's very early to say what I had to do it.
Yes, just keep working like this, keep improving. You know, two semifinals in a row, first two Masters 1000 of the season for me is positive. Positive American hardcourt season, first part. So, yeah, happy for that.
I am playing well. I had very good matches in these two tournaments. That's the positive things. Worst thing I lost two semifinals in three sets. That's it.
Just if you are there, you gonna have your day. You're gonna win one day. I am happy how I am doing.

Q. Did you feel the match turned a little bit in the second set when he got the break after the defensive lob and then offensive lob? Did you feel the momentum switch there?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, the match change. He attacked he has put more pression with his forehand on my serve.
I wasn't ready to play better in that moment, and that's makes the difference.

Q. Did you feel your forehand was a little bit off as the match went on?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was playing well with the forehand. I had few mistakes in the last games, but, you know, when you are break down in the third and against Roddick, you feel pressure. That's it, no?
No, I am feeling great.

Q. Are you happy to be getting back on the clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I am feeling really well playing in all the surfaces, and I hope the clay help me a little bit more.
But, I don't I am happy for everything. I started the season well. I am playing well. You know, clay gonna have probably if I am playing well more chances.

Q. Yeah, but you've talked about how the clay is better for your body I meant more.
RAFAEL NADAL: That's much better, sure.

Q. Is it harder or easier to go and play against a guy who you know is always gonna put you under pressure and is a very good competitor? Does that make you mentally sharper, or is there a fear factor?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, when you play against the best was world players like Andy. Anything can happen. I won against him few times. In Indian Wells, two semifinals. No, I was ready to win, no?
Yeah, I know him. He's a very good player, very good competitor. If you go down a little bit like I did today in the second and in the third, he beat me, no?
So just congratulate him and wish him the best of the luck for the final.

Q. Did he play any differently than the matches before? Did you notice anything different, or was he the same Andy?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I didn't feel.

Q. Do you feel like you're getting closer and closer to winning a tournament again?
RAFAEL NADAL: 7 6 in the third last week in semifinals; 6 4 in the third right now this week, or 6 3. Doha I have the chance. Too match points. I am there.

Q. Have you been working on anything specifically during this hardcourt season that you want to improve in your game?
RAFAEL NADAL: I try to play more aggressive with my forehand, going to the net more times, and trying to play with rhythm all the time. Trying to go more inside than usual, and I did well.
I had a lot of very good matches. Today wasn't the best, and last week's semifinals was the worst. But for the rest, I can feel this is very positive.

Q. Is Andy one of the better thinkers that you play against, Rafa? Obviously you dominated the first set with the forehand. He seemed to be more aggressive with his forehand and return of serve. Is he a good thinker out there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, yeah, sure. But at the same time he was more aggressive in the second set because I played a little bit shorter and I serve a little bit worse.
Always is like this. I think if I played more aggressive he didn't have his chance to go, to play like he did in the second set, more aggressive in that moments, no?

Q. You're very well known for your fighting ability. People admire and love that about you. Then you have this break and some issues and problems. Are you completely back in terms of how your spirit feels going out to play the matches, the hunger to win matches? Are you completely back now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Completely sure. I'm very happy how I am doing. You know, today was a lose, but my motivation is full.
I worked a lot to be where I am, and I am feeling I told you before the tournament, and I will tell you another time right now I am ready to do everything, no? I think I am ready to play my best, and I did for moments.
That's the way. Just gonna try my best in Monte Carlo now.

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2010/Interview-Transcripts/Interview-Transcripts/Extra-Column/Rafael-Nadal-SFs.aspx

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM

The betting markets don't lie. Andy is still less likely to win Wimbledon than Nadal or Murray, let alone Federer.

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Everything is a personal insult to you :rolleyes:

habibko
04-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Everything is a personal insult to you :rolleyes:

hard times for her :lol:

andylovesaustin
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think it had to do with Rafa's mind... well it did a little bit..

Andy changed his game up.. He quit playing to Rafa's strengths. Andy started to play the net more.. to be more aggressive. His serve... well..he was on. But Andy's serve has never been a problem.

It's really been the rest of his game.. I just think Andy started to execute HIS game plan rather than try to match toe to toe with Rafa. It sure wasn't getting him anywhere.. so..

Like others have said, I just don't think Rafa had an answer. If it was "mental" it was more that Rafa couldn't change-up his game. He can't execute what he doesn't possess. :shrug:

Persimmon
04-02-2010, 11:39 PM
The betting markets don't lie. Andy is still less likely to win Wimbledon than Nadal or Murray, let alone Federer.

Roddick is Fed's bitach at the slams:o. EIGHT losses man:eek:! He has no chance to win a slam. And he is the same age as Fed, he can't just wait for Fed to get old because he will be old by then as well.:wavey:

lazybear
04-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Anybody have any explanation what Rafa's tantrums were about? Just playing poorly or was there something else? I was watching a feed with Hungarian commentary))

As for the match, Rafa suddenly started playing like crap all of a sudden and it's not the first time it happens to him. Mental midget, really? Not ready to go there yet.

If you could speak hungarian, you still wouldn't know the answer, i guess nobody really knows why he did it. Talking about commentators... It's funny when i see MTF posters complain about commentary (Tennis Tv guys, McEnroe, Rusedski, Wilander, etc.), you should hear our guys. I mean, they're totally clueless. You wouldn't believe half the stuff they're doing.

andylovesaustin
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Roddick is Fed's bitach at the slams:o. EIGHT losses man:eek:! He has no chance to win a slam. And he is the same age as Fed, he can't just wait for Fed to get old because he will be old by then as well.:wavey:

I just think it's the match-up (other than Andy being a Fed-tard.) :lol: Federer has a more varied game. Plus, can Andy keep it for best of 5 to win? See that's the problem. Andy might be able to execute for a win best 2 out of 3 win it counts. But history has shown, Andy hasn't been consistent enough to win a grand slam--3 out of 5 format.

After today though, I like to think he might have a shot. But I thought he had a shot last year...so there ya go! :lol:

Persimmon
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM

Should I go on.......

This.

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
What's a "bitach"?

He's already won a slam and will have plenty chances to win more.

-Valhalla-
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
The betting markets don't lie.

:lol: Oh really? And who did the betting markets pick to win this match?

Andy is still less likely to win Wimbledon than Nadal or Murray, let alone Federer.

Andy less likely to win Wimbledon than Murray? :haha:
I suspect the odds will begin to shift as Wimbledon approaches.

kindling
04-02-2010, 11:54 PM
funny how everyone turns on a player when they lose. Nadal in the semis again, yeah he's so terrible, because getting to semis of masters means nothing and is apiece of cake, right?

~*BGT*~
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
This Duck is gooooooooooood.

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
:lol: Oh really? And who did the betting markets pick to win this match?

Andy less likely to win Wimbledon than Murray? :haha:
I suspect the odds will begin to shift as Wimbledon approaches.
Well then I guess you must be a millionaire by now since you're obviously smarter than the market.

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
I would give Roddick a better chance of winning Wimbledon than every player besides Federer :shrug:

andylovesaustin
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
funny how everyone turns on a player when they lose. Nadal in the semis again, yeah he's so terrible, because getting to semis of masters means nothing and is apiece of cake, right?

Yeah....

I just think it's part of a learning curve for Rafa. He's really doing well considering. Even the commentators were saying he's gonna be #3 in the world next week. So yeah, he needs to evaluate exactly what happened with Andy. Losing to Lubie wasn't a fluke--like Rafa seemed to think as per his presser!

Andy beat Rafa because Andy would not allow Rafa to play HIS game.

I think Rafa needs to get away from his dang family and hire an outside coach! :lol: But I don't like mixing family with business too much..

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
I would give Roddick a better chance of winning Wimbledon than every player besides Federer :shrug:
At this time I would also fancy Andy's chances but that's because it's in our nature to have knee-jerk reactions after a result like this.

leng jai
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
If the Duck loses the final the same people in this thread will revert back to saying how much of a clown he is.

-Valhalla-
04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Well then I guess you must be a millionaire by now since you're obviously smarter than the market.

Read what I wrote brainiac. I said I would put him as the odds-on favorite to win Wimbledon. My personal opinion.

leng jai
04-03-2010, 12:03 AM
At this time I would also fancy Andy's chances but that's because it's in our nature to have knee-jerk reactions after a result like this.

Roddick's chance of winning Wimbledon isn't based on knee-jerk reactions. Its based on the fact that hes reached the final several times already, plays better on grass than most clowns in this era, and was an inch away from the title last year.

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:05 AM
If the Duck loses the final the same people in this thread will revert back to saying how much of a clown he is.

Well... I don't think he's a clown. :shrug:

I just think historically... Andy hasn't show he is the most consistent of players even though he's consistent enough to be ranking in the top 10.

I think Andy is a hoot. I really like him. I really hope this year can be his year--particularly at the U.S. Open and maybe Wimby, too. Heck, I'd like him to have a great French Open!

That would be so cool!

Del_Toro
Nadal = Mental Midget

Now let's hope Soda could win the whole damn thing.

Jimnik
Read what I wrote brainiac. I said I would put him as the odds-on favorite to win Wimbledon. My personal opinion.
Try to write normally instead of putting loads of laughs in your posts and calling me names. Then maybe I'll start taking you more seriously.

Orka_n
04-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Huh. Didn't really expect this, but I won't complain.

Nadull continues his impressive streak against top tenners. :lol:

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh.. something that surprised me and seemed to surprise Andy, too, was that Rafa lost his cool!

I couldn't believe Rafa was hitting himself on his leg?? Or what was he doing during one of the changeovers? :eek:

He was not "calm."

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Roddick's chance of winning Wimbledon isn't based on knee-jerk reactions. Its based on the fact that hes reached the final several times already, plays better on grass than most clowns in this era, and was an inch away from the title last year.
You said it yourself, he could well lose tomorrow and then everyone (including you) will go back to the usual:

Roddick will never win Wimbledon
Can never win big matches
Lucky to ever win a slam
Worst top 10 ever
Nothing but a brainless pusher with a big serve
etc..

And remember there are other factors too. Nadal has already won Wimbledon and will probably be back to his old confident self after dominating the clay season. Murray will be more hungry and determined than ever and he'll have the crowd behind him. Don't forget, had one or two points gone the other way, he could have won that SF last year.

This is all coming from a Roddick fan btw.

rocketassist
04-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Roddick :yeah:

leng jai
You said it yourself, he could well lose tomorrow and then everyone (including you) will go back to the usual:

Roddick will never win Wimbledon
Can never win big matches
Lucky to ever win a slam
Worst top 10 ever
Nothing but a brainless pusher with a big serve
etc..

And remember there are other factors too. Nadal has already won Wimbledon and will probably be back to his old confident self after dominating the clay season. Murray will be more hungry and determined than ever and he'll have the crowd behind him. Don't forget, had one or two points gone the other way, he could have won that SF last year.

This is all coming from a Roddick fan btw.

All the things you mentioned don't change the fact that Roddick is a legitimate contender for no 2 favourite at Wimbledon. Murray has more players that can take him out on grass than Roddick, and Nadal is still an unknown quantity.

-Valhalla-
Try to write normally instead of putting loads of laughs in your posts and calling me names. Then maybe I'll start taking you more seriously.

STFU.

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:22 AM
All the things you mentioned don't change the fact that Roddick is a legitimate contender for no 2 favourite at Wimbledon. Murray has more players that can take him out on grass than Roddick, and Nadal is still an unknown quantity.
Of course he's a contender but he's not #2 yet because he needs to prove he can keep this form up. If he wins on Sunday I bet he'll be joint 3rd favourite with Murray.

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM

I agree. Andy was a Wimby finalist last year. He came in second to Roger. In fact, he's come in second to Roger numerous times, but that still doesn't mean Andy isn't a "contender."

And even if he manages to lose in the finals of this tournament, it doesn't negate the fact he outplayed Rafa. Now... what it means on clay courts.. I don't think it means much. But on hard-courts, Andy now has the edge. Didn't the commentators say that before this match, Andy and Rafa were TIED on hard courts?

So.. even if he loses in the final, Andy has already gained something from this tournament. He was down but found a way to win. Andy trusted in himself to EXECUTE his original game plan, and it paid off.

On a side note, I think Andy is getting cuter with age! He's just such a dork.

And by the way.. what the heck was Rafa wearing?:eek: Rafa is so handsome.. Why on God's green earth is Nike dressing him up like a clown.:mad:

I think Rafa needs a something a little more understated. Man... I really hate that tic-tac-toe design on his shorts. It's blinding!

P.S. For everyone crushing on Andy Murray, where the heck was he last year at Wimby? Sitting at home watching. Where was he the year before? Sitting at home watching? Why is everyone so in awe of Murray when he hasn't made it to the final of Wimby. He hasn't even come close.. so...

leng jai
04-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Of course he's a contender but he's not there yet because he needs to prove he can keep this form up. If he wins on Sunday I bet the markets will make him joint 3rd favourite with Murray.

You're obssessed with the betting market. Who cares? When have Roddick's Wimbledon chances ever been based on how well he does in this part of the year? Hes always in shit form approaching the grass "season" because its immediately after RG, so I fail to see what your point is.

habibko
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM

especially when it's a player you believe in your own mind you are much superior to :devil: the poor ballboy almost ran away when Nadal went mental like that :unsure: :scared:

crude oil
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
What in the hell? How does Rafa win the 1st set, then get demolished the next two to fucking Roddick? That would never happen to pre-injury Nadal

roddick has beat sampras much worse. :wavey:

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:29 AM
You're obssessed with the betting market. Who cares? When have Roddick's Wimbledon chances ever been based on how well he does in this part of the year? Hes always in shit form approaching the grass "season" because its immediately after RG, so I fail to see what your point is.
Not always. He's lost to Murray and Tipsarevic in the first week, he lost to Gasquet whom he was heavy favourite to beat.

Forget the betting market, there are plenty of reasons to still consider him 4th favourite behind Nadal and Murray.

Har-Tru
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Q. What was the immediate thought or feeling right when you won the match? What did you think or feel?

ANDY RODDICK: I was like, I can't believe he actually just missed a ball on his forehand. Once I got past that, I was pretty happy.

:lol:

:haha: :worship:

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Not always. He's lost to Murray and Tipsarevic in the first week, he lost to Gasquet whom he was heavy favourite to beat.

Forget the betting market, there are plenty of reasons to still consider him 4th favourite behind Nadal and Murray.

Except the fact Murray can't handle the pressure at Wimby! :rolls:

How much money did you and a lot of other people lose last year?

I have nothing against Andy Murray, but every year it's like Andy Murray is going to come save the day. And then he DOESN'T! :o

I thought his commercial was pretty cute, and I've seen some recent pics where he looks pretty good,too.

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Except the fact Murray can't handle the pressure at Wimby! :rolls:

How much money did you and a lot of other people lose last year?

I have nothing against Andy Murray, but every year it's like Andy Murray is going to come save the day. And then he DOESN'T! :o

I thought his commercial was pretty cute, and I've seen some recent pics where he looks pretty good,too.
I lost quite a bit and nearly even more in the final. :o

I love it when Andy surprises me like that but they come few and far between, let's face it.

Murray could be another Henman (re: Wimby results) but I have a feeling he won't be.

rubbERR
04-03-2010, 12:35 AM
roddick didnt advance masterseries final three years ans suddenly two in row, very nice to see indeed

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:38 AM
I lost quite a bit and nearly even more in the final. :o

I love it when Andy surprises me like that but they come few and far between, let's face it.

Murray could be another Henman (re: Wimby results) but I have a feeling he won't be.

Man.. the final was hard for me to take. Oh boy..
I thought Andy might actually.............WIN, but it was not meant to be!

Andy Murray, I just don't know. It's just too soon to tell. How old is he? He might be a late bloomer.

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:40 AM
:haha: :worship:

I know.. Andy Roddick is just so blunt!

Oh man, when he retires, I'm gonna miss him. I tell ya, it might SEEM like he gives up. But I really think he has always tried to maximize his talent. He's not Andre or Pete.. but Andy just keeps plugging at it...

luie
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
STRONG ERA.Fed era is good.

habibko
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM
The Rafa of old would never have put himself in the position of being a break down in the final set, much less a three-set match where he won the first set. It's that simple.

the Rafa of old lost in straight sets to Roddick in similar conditions, yes believe it or not Roddick CAN beat Nadal when his A game is working, as you were saying Roddick's game is the most underestimated on MTF, and you are doing just that.

n8
04-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I am so impressed with Roddick. He changed his game plan when he was down and executed it brilliantly. He'll be number one for the year if he wins tomorrow.

lJnYfz6tSuo