Miami SF: Roddick obliterates Nadal 4-6 6-3 6-3 [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Miami SF: Roddick obliterates Nadal 4-6 6-3 6-3

Pages : 1 [2]

ssj100
04-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Mug era.

josemanuel
04-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Great match Andy! Really deserved this win

-Valhalla-
04-02-2010, 11:56 PM
You're obssessed with the betting market. Who cares? When have Roddick's Wimbledon chances ever been based on how well he does in this part of the year? Hes always in shit form approaching the grass "season" because its immediately after RG, so I fail to see what your point is.

Agreed. Jimnik is unable to actually watch matches, observe trends, player form, or in anyway think for himself. He needs the markets to inform his opinions, ideas or to make any prognostifications.

Smoke944
04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Roddick tried to push like he usually does for the first set and a half....he wanted to use lots of spin and angles to try and get Nadal off balance. He should have known that wouldn't work...Andy ended up on the defensive just hitting balls down the center of the court and Rafa had him on a string every rally. Andy served well throughout, but had one bad service game in the first set and was broken.

After the first set and a half, Andy abandoned his pushing+spin+angles gameplan and decided to just start ripping it and going to net. After the first few big Roddick forehands, Rafa was startled and began to play more passively. And that was all she wrote. Andy served huge and blasted forehands...and was surprisingly effective at net even after 2nd serves and slices.

Impressive match from Andy.

Couldn't have said it better myself :yeah:
Rafa not quite at his best but an awesome win for Andy nonetheless. I loved him ripping forehands on the return and in rallies :eek: :D Now he just needs to keep it up :angel:

Jimnik
04-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Agreed. Jimnik is unable to actually watch matches, observe trends, player form, or in anyway think for himself. He needs the markets to inform his opinions, ideas or to make any prognostifications.

You're the one that started the odds discussion with this post:
If Andy maintains his current form and avoids those nagging injuries, I’ll put him as the odds-on favorite to win Wimbledon this year.

Why don't you take your own advice:
STFU.
and stop obsessing about me.

Arkulari
04-03-2010, 12:04 AM
Congrats to the Duck, after the first set I thought it was a straight sets affair for Rafa, but oh boy, did Andy proved me wrong or what?

He started hitting deeper, making Rafa go back in the baseline, using S&V in second serves and being gutsy in general, that paid off and he won

And for Rafa, he doesn't have problems with his body or his game, he has problems with his mind now, he's unable to close tight matches

I think clay season will give him some much needed oxygen but he has to stop and look at himself, find out when his mental armour gave up

Bad Religion
04-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I don´t the get the respect for Roddick . The guy has no game

andylovesaustin
04-03-2010, 12:11 AM

He had game TODAY!

Otherwise.. I would sort of agree with you.

For some reason, Andy...just holds back--or like people have said.."pushes" the ball. Of course, he has a great serve.. But "game".. no.. But today, he showed he CAN have game.

He played pretty smart to win, I thought.

martinatreue
04-03-2010, 12:27 AM

Ok well he just beat Rafa with no game??? Also, why do you have Carles Moya in your sig? Who is Carles??

moon language
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I wish I had remembered to set the DVR for this. Surprising outcome, but maybe Roddick is finally getting over that Wimbledon final and playing freely?

luie
04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
I wish I had remembered to set the DVR for this. Surprising outcome, but maybe Roddick is finally getting over that Wimbledon final and playing freely?
Well I guess the moonballer hasn't gotten over the Demolition at RG.:devil:

Art&Soul
04-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Duck is too much for Nadull, :haha::haha::haha: Great result and good win for Roddick :banana:

DementievaReally
04-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Andy performed so perfectly!

coonster14
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM
wow, i knew roddick was capable of upsetting nadal, but i just did not think he was actually going to pull it off this time, hats off to him!!! in the process of doing so, he saves himself from becoming rafa's pigeon too. roddick- 2 back to back TMS finals :)

now go and win miami this time roddick!!! :bigclap:

rafa- awww bad luck, but with clay season coming around the corner, and having had 2 TMS SF performances, i do not think his confidence will be too affected.

i seriously need to go and watch this match on youtube when its out.

Forehander
04-03-2010, 12:56 AM
It's pointless arguing with someone who has the logic and reasoning ability of a 5 yr. old.

Here, have the last word ;)

Stop acting like a 4 yr old throwing abusive personal insults around for no apparent reason.

And good win for Roddick. Quite unbelievable stuff. As for Rafa I like how he keeps talking about being aggressive, but his forehand can still be a huge weakness for someone who can whack solid backhands such as Murray.

-Valhalla-
04-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Stop acting like a 4 yr old throwing abusive personal insults around for no apparent reason.

It's dead and buried. And next time, mind your own business :drink:

docking34
04-03-2010, 01:37 AM
told you guys roddick would win this. i love how the poll had him as only getting 20% of the vote.

docking34
04-03-2010, 01:48 AM
i sure hope roddick returns to his mid-2003 form where he rips that forehand down the line or even crosscourt. he has to do that if he wants to keep winning. do that and he can beat anyone.

moon language
04-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Well I guess the moonballer hasn't gotten over the Demolition at RG.:devil:

Roddick gets demolished at RG every year, he's used to it.

Harmless
04-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Rafa's presser:
A. RODDICK/R. Nadal

4 6, 6 3, 6 3

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. What do you think made the difference out there in today's match?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think I started the match playing pretty well in the beginning. Later I had the match, well, under control in the first set with my serve.
Later in the second set Andy was serving well. No, I didn't have a lot of chances on the return. He play very aggressive game and started to play more aggressive in the game where he did me the break. It was a change, and it was surprise foe me.
After that, in the third, you know, he put more pressure on my serve, attacking more. He was serving very regular, pretty well the third, second. Just congratulate him. He's playing really well. Yeah.

Q. Now when you look back, what would you do? Would you do something different?
RAFAEL NADAL: You can always do. You can always do different things, no? But you never know. It's very early to say what I had to do it.
Yes, just keep working like this, keep improving. You know, two semifinals in a row, first two Masters 1000 of the season for me is positive. Positive American hardcourt season, first part. So, yeah, happy for that.
I am playing well. I had very good matches in these two tournaments. That's the positive things. Worst thing I lost two semifinals in three sets. That's it.
Just if you are there, you gonna have your day. You're gonna win one day. I am happy how I am doing.

Q. Did you feel the match turned a little bit in the second set when he got the break after the defensive lob and then offensive lob? Did you feel the momentum switch there?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, the match change. He attacked he has put more pression with his forehand on my serve.
I wasn't ready to play better in that moment, and that's makes the difference.

Q. Did you feel your forehand was a little bit off as the match went on?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was playing well with the forehand. I had few mistakes in the last games, but, you know, when you are break down in the third and against Roddick, you feel pressure. That's it, no?
No, I am feeling great.

Q. Are you happy to be getting back on the clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I am feeling really well playing in all the surfaces, and I hope the clay help me a little bit more.
But, I don't I am happy for everything. I started the season well. I am playing well. You know, clay gonna have probably if I am playing well more chances.

Q. You're very well known for your fighting ability. People admire and love that about you. Then you have this break and some issues and problems. Are you completely back in terms of how your spirit feels going out to play the matches, the hunger to win matches? Are you completely back now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Completely sure. I'm very happy how I am doing. You know, today was a lose, but my motivation is full.
I worked a lot to be where I am, and I am feeling I told you before the tournament, and I will tell you another time right now I am ready to do everything, no? I think I am ready to play my best, and I did for moments.
That's the way. Just gonna try my best in Monte Carlo now.

This is almost... a little disturbing. :lol: Spending too much time with Roger obviously. Maybe this is part of the reason for the mental collapses lately. :spit:
They've been Federesque almost.
If his BP conversion starts reading like precipitation chances in the Sahara as well, we might know what's up. :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 02:33 AM
This is almost... a little disturbing. :lol: Spending too much time with Roger obviously. Maybe this is part of the reason for the mental collapses lately. :spit:
If his BP conversion starts reading like precipitation chances in the Sahara as well, we might know what's up. :rolleyes:
'Federesque', obviously :spit: :lol: :hug: Rafa!

Hugh Jaas
04-03-2010, 02:41 AM
The serve only MUG Pusher OUTMUGS the spartan warrior.

SAD DAY FOR TENNIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6_UTPDO9s&FMT=18)

-dylan24 mtf GOAT-

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 02:46 AM
The serve only MUG Pusher OUTMUGS the spartan warrior.

SAD DAY FOR TENNIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff6_UTPDO9s&FMT=18)

-dylan24 mtf GOAT-

Sad day for you. :ras:

Calidreth
04-03-2010, 02:53 AM
The "All Serve Mug" definitely making people eat their words. Brilliant stuff in the 2nd and 3rd set, especially against someone people said he had no chance against. I really don't think you people watch enough tennis -- such terrible insight.

tnosugar
04-03-2010, 04:01 AM
He never was likeable imo. The way he acted toward Djokovic and embarrassing Wade in tennis. I hope Berdych wins this tournament.

I actually think he did Djokovic a favour. After that incident, he stopped clowning about and imitating players and focused back on tennis. He would not be a No 2. today, otherwise.

heya
04-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Ironic. A 200-pound Nadal would've lost 4-6 2-6 with net charging & a slower serve. He had to get lucky when Roddick collapsed in their Davis Cup encounter. Poor 'objective' Fedal fans.

rolandgarros
04-03-2010, 04:09 AM
fixed,never doubt

Guy Haines
04-03-2010, 04:20 AM
the Rafa of old lost in straight sets to Roddick in similar conditions, yes believe it or not Roddick CAN beat Nadal when his A game is working, as you were saying Roddick's game is the most underestimated on MTF, and you are doing just that.

Ugh, no I'm not. What I'm saying is that this is the third time this year Nadal has lost a relatively important match after winning the first set.

That's something he rarely used to do against anyone. Roddick has nothing to do with it. He and Rafa both have proven they can dominate the other. This result was only a shock to those who thought straight-setting the feeble-minded Tsonga (who he straight-setted in late 09 while getting creamed by the top 10) meant Rafa is back. I never said Rafa was going to beat Roddick.

ServeAlready81
Nice North American run for Andy, finals in IW and finals here. Win this one though!

wackykid

:lol:

and i'll be seriously worried if federer starts adding a "... no?" to end every statement of his... :lol:

regards,
wacky

MrChopin
04-03-2010, 04:26 AM
lol at Nadal self harming himself near the end

not so much fun when someone drives you mental with their tennis and over celebrates in your face, is it Rafa

:rolls:

I also thought it was a bit rude to be taking off his stuff at the net. Stole the limelight from Roddick's moment and kind of made it feel rushed, like he couldn't be bothered to wait for Roddick's celebration. I'm surprised that the handshake police didn't make note of this.

River
04-03-2010, 04:27 AM
Roddick gets demolished at RG every year, he's used to it.

errr.. he was referring to Nadal's most utter defeat at the hands of Soderling >>;;

docking34
04-03-2010, 04:49 AM
kinda wish roddick won last week versus ljubo and then he woulda won this one too. really would have taken his haters to a new level. (2 consecutive back-to-back masters titles) which is quite remarkable.

heya
04-03-2010, 05:00 AM
I think Andy is getting cuter with age! He's just such a dork.

P.S. For everyone crushing on Andy Murray, where the heck was he last year at Wimby? Sitting at home watching. Where was he the year before? Sitting at home watching? Why is everyone so in awe of Murray when he hasn't made it to the final of Wimby. He hasn't even come close.. so...
Roddick actually looks like John Roddick, which is sad, because he could've taken much better care of himself back in 2003. Murray's admired at Wimbledon because Roddick looked like a fat whale choking over & over in the 2006 Wimbledon meeting. There's a reason why Gimelstob, Courier, Brad Gilbert & the McEnroes had their tongues wagging for Federer.

Arkulari
04-03-2010, 05:03 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8NLTTuJ2pOI/Sc4Yh_KMbFI/AAAAAAAAB6I/2cI1FhsUd7c/s400/collins-crazy-scaled.jpg

brent-o
04-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Didn't see the match but all I thought when I saw the thread title was WHAT THE HELL!

brent-o
04-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Nadal is washed up completely.

He is becoming an embarassment for himself.

He should retire if he does not want to end up like Safin.

Safin couldn't dream of making back-to-back Masters semifinals in the last few years he stunk up the tour. Not a very good comparison at all.

Fee
04-03-2010, 05:54 AM
It's too late for me to try to catch up on 290 posts in this thread, but did anyone acknowledge that poor Rafa was doomed to lose the minute Justin predicted on air 3 days ago that he would win the whole tournament? He's becoming a worse jinx than Bud Collins and Jon Wertheim combined. He didn't say anything after Berdych won the other semi, did he? :lol:

Crvena Zvezda
04-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Is that a personal insult? Reported.

Rafa's presser:

Look at MTF rules, retarded girl, the guy can think whatever he wants of you, and you are ridiculous reporting him, only thing forbidden is to wish someone's death...

BTW Piggy Nadal roasted was also very funny and doesn't deserve any report...

Linda (and Nadal) are VERY down !

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 06:18 AM
:lol:

and i'll be seriously worried if federer starts adding a "... no?" to end every statement of his... :lol:

Fedsie says 'you know', Raf says 'no?'

Pretty much the same.... no? :p

electronicmusic
04-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Well done Andy!

R.Federer
04-03-2010, 09:37 AM
:woohoo:

yonexforever
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Andy is still spending that WImbledon final capital!!
Love the hard work he has put in.
Deserves this title!
Birdshit!
:spit:

Stefanos13
04-03-2010, 09:48 AM
NADAL LOST THE MATCH
Not trying to take the credit away from Roddick, but Nadal lost the match as opposed to Andy winning it. Not enough credit is shown in the posts for the incredible first set and a half by Nadal: winner after winner and Andy simply had no answer – the gap in their respective talents really showed.

NADAL'S MOOD
Nadal seemed to turn to his camp trying to tell them something (when he was still winning the match). Even after a winner he'd look unhappy trying to communicate something. Any Spanish speakers understood what he was saying? I'm worried it may be the knee – again. His level dropped considerably and unexpectedly and not during any critical point of the match.

something is not quite right with Nadal and it's not his fighting spirit or choking or any other similar nonsense posted in this thread. Good luck Andy in the final – so far you've had plenty ;)

HarryMan
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Great match. Great fighting from Andy. He got mandhandled in the first set and then quickly realized he isn't beating Nadal in baseline rallies if he remains passive. He was flattening his forehand and his serve was always good. Too good. Rafa had two great weeks. Semi finals at the first two masters events is really impressive results.

paseo
04-03-2010, 10:04 AM
NADAL LOST THE MATCH
Not trying to take the credit away from Roddick, but Nadal lost the match as opposed to Andy winning it. Not enough credit is shown in the posts for the incredible first set and a half by Nadal: winner after winner and Andy simply had no answer – the gap in their respective talents really showed.

NADAL'S MOOD
Nadal seemed to turn to his camp trying to tell them something (when he was still winning the match). Even after a winner he'd look unhappy trying to communicate something. Any Spanish speakers understood what he was saying? I'm worried it may be the knee – again. His level dropped considerably and unexpectedly and not during any critical point of the match.

something is not quite right with Nadal and it's not his fighting spirit or choking or any other similar nonsense posted in this thread. Good luck Andy in the final – so far you've had plenty ;)

Yeah, right.

habibko
04-03-2010, 10:08 AM
NADAL LOST THE MATCH

that's because Roddick started the match playing his comfortable passive tennis that he has changed to for a while now, and that will never be enough against Nadal who is the better player from the baseline.

NADAL'S MOOD

what changed is the way Roddick played, he changed tactics and went to plan B, crushing the return, redlining the forehand and S&Ving behind his 2nd serve, Nadal couldn't respond well and as often when he loses he was blown off the court before he knew it.

if you can't see anything beyond Nadal's side of the court that's your problem.

RIboy
04-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Nadal is gipsy, not Shakira

Eden
04-03-2010, 10:15 AM
NADAL LOST THE MATCH

Sorry, but you do exactly the same as you demand: You give not enough credit to Andy for raising his level in the 2nd set. Rafa played really well in the 1st set and the beginning of the 2nd and I guess a lot of people expected the match to be over quite soon, but then Andy changed his tactic, surprised Rafa with it and was full of confidence going into the 3rd set. Even though Andy was up a break there Rafa was up 30:0 on Andy's serve one or two times, but how can you break back when someone is serving so well as Andy?

Rafa has nothing to be ashamed of to have lost the match. Andy is a very good player, even though he doesn't get the respect here on MTF he deserves for his level of play over the past years.

Rafa reached the SF of a Masters tournament (going one round further as in the previous year) and reached the SF of the last one. That's not a bad run at all.

He himself said that he is physically fine, so what's the need to bring in that he might have problems with his knees again?

malisha
04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
this wasnt an expected one

malisha
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
after giving Duck credit at the start just to be polite Rafito showed his true self

RAFAEL NADAL:
Always is like this. I think if I played more aggressive he didn't have his chance to go, to play like he did in the second set, more aggressive in that moments, no?

River
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
after giving Duck credit at the start just to be polite Rafito showed his true self

RAFAEL NADAL:
Always is like this. I think if I played more aggressive he didn't have his chance to go, to play like he did in the second set, more aggressive in that moments, no?

I think that's just Rafa's confidence. He has no reason not to think he couldn't beat Roddick considering their H2H stats. And it's true, too. Had Rafa been more aggressive, Roddick would be in trouble, and we'd see tiebreaks.

Start da Game
04-03-2010, 04:47 PM
congratulations to andy roddick.......

Johnny Groove
04-03-2010, 07:17 PM
My thoughts:

Nadal looked good in the first set and a half, playing pretty well, dictating play from the back of the court, and Roddick had ZERO forehand winners until 3-4 in the 2nd. But mid-way through the second set, Roddick started to get his shit together, began going for broke on the forehand, and began to break Rafa's serve as well as his confidence, something I didn't like to see. If Nadal wants to win matches like these, he needs to close the net. Too often I saw him getting a short ball, hit it, and retreat to the baseline. It's a pure confidence thing.

In the 3rd, Nadal had a chance early, but Roddick was just too good. Serving bombs, playing like its 2004.

My extended stats:

Roddick

Aces- 15
Double Faults- 2
Forehand Winners- 6
Forehand Volley Winners- 3
Forehand Unforced Errors- 9
Forehand Forced Errors- 8
Forehand Unreturned Serves- 6
Forehand Volley Unforced Errors- 1
Forehand Return Winners- 1
Backhand Winners- 1
Backhand Volley Winners- 5
Backhand Unforced Errors- 6
Backhand Forced Errors- 6
Backhand Unreturned Serves- 3
Backhand Volley Forced Errors- 3
Overhead Winners- 1

Nadal

Aces- 6
Double Faults- 0
Forehand Winners- 19
Forehand Unforced Errors- 13
Forehand Forced Errors- 5
Forehand Unreturned Serve- 11
Backhand Winners- 3
Backhand Volley Unforced Errors- 1
Backhand Unforced Errors- 5
Backhand Forced Errors- 6
Backhand Unreturned Serves- 12
Backhand Return Winners- 1
Tweener Shot Errors- 1

Nadal missed 23 serve returns, in addition to Roddick's 15 aces, so 38 points Roddick won by hitting one shot. Rafa needs to return better than that. Also, Rafa missed quite a few shots that he shouldn't have. Total winners to errors for Nadal was 29 and 31. Roddick was 32 and 35.

That is, if my stats are correct, which I am 99.4% sure they are :p

Persimmon
04-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Rafa needs a new coach, Uncle toni has finished his cycle.

malisha
04-03-2010, 11:26 PM
even with zero forehand winners Roddick was able to keep it tight in the second set while Nadal played good

this means that Roddick even in the pushing zone can play a close match against Rafa who was playing very good until 3-4

Average Roddick vs Solid Nadal----close match these days

Topspin Forehand
04-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Roddick has a 1/5 chance of beating Nadal every time they play. This was his 1/5 match.

oranges
04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Roddick has a 1/5 chance of beating Nadal every time they play. This was his 1/5 match.

Hope they play at USO next just to mess with your theory

luie
04-04-2010, 12:28 AM
Rafa needs a new coach, Uncle toni has finished his cycle.
Maybe canas.

ssj100
04-04-2010, 02:54 AM
congratulations to andy roddick.......

Yes, but Nadal will be back when he's not injured. Then he will take apart Roddick with ease. Just like the last few years.

Kuhne
04-04-2010, 04:55 AM
haha, fuck you rafa!

River
04-04-2010, 05:22 AM
Yes, but Nadal will be back when he's not injured. Then he will take apart Roddick with ease. Just like the last few years.

Right, cause this match had nothing to do with Nadal mentally breaking down, it was all because he was injured. :rolls:

Calidreth
04-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Nadal has never been a match for Roddick on hard courts. I don't count their 2 IW matches because that place is blue clay encompassed in a damn whirlwind -- worst hard court surface ever.

ssj100
04-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Right, cause this match had nothing to do with Nadal mentally breaking down, it was all because he was injured. :rolls:

Yes Nadal mentally broke down also, because of distractions from his girlfriend and his parents' divorce. But he was also physically injured. Still, took a top 10 player to 3 sets. Impressive stuff.

wackykid
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Fedsie says 'you know', Raf says 'no?'

Pretty much the same.... no? :p

:lol: well if both of them talked in this way... you know... i think is not quite the same... no...? :p

regards,
wacky

DJ Soup
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Yes Nadal mentally broke down also, because of distractions from his girlfriend and his parents' divorce. But he was also physically injured. Still, took a top 10 player to 3 sets. Impressive stuff.

that's solely because he knows how to hold a racket.

Forehander
04-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Is Nadal still with his girlfriend?

jcempire
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Yes, thread title is a stab at the Rafa def Nalbandian title :lol:

Roddick needed to be more aggressive with groundstrokes than normal and smarter with his net approaches and he did just that after the first set. Loved the S&V. :yeah:

That being said, Nadal still shaky in the important moments, which isn't normal of him. Clay season a final confidence booster? Though he did make two consecutive HC TMS semifinals. Not probably exactly bad for his confidence. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

fully agree. Nadal has done a amazing JOB since returned and well this two SemiFinal lost (that both very close match). So maybe just unluck

and Nadal would get better when time goes

coffeenomore
04-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Finito. Done for good. Yay!:D

Topspin Forehand
04-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Nadal has never been a match for Roddick on hard courts. I don't count their 2 IW matches because that place is blue clay encompassed in a damn whirlwind -- worst hard court surface ever.
Worst post ever.

Calidreth
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Worst post ever.

Worst poster ever -- see what I did there?

heya
04-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Yes, but Nadal will be back when he's not injured. Then he will take apart Roddick with ease. Just like the last few years.At least you'll be happy when Federer beats Nadal again. You conveniently forgot Roddick's mental & physical breakdowns between 2004-2009.
Hope Tonya Harding doesn't crush Rafa's knee.

Certinfy
04-04-2010, 10:27 PM
U added a 'er' to 'post' :)

bokehlicious
04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Nice win Ducky :yeah:

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh how clever. On clay, Nadal would spank Roddick. On how hard court, Roddick could get hot with his serve. Nadal's serve was horrible all match. On a medium hardcourt, Roddick can win then. I would easily pick Nadal to win the next match whenever they play.

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Nadal missed 23 serve returns, in addition to Roddick's 15 aces, so 38 points Roddick won by hitting one shot. Rafa needs to return better than that. Also, Rafa missed quite a few shots that he shouldn't have. Total winners to errors for Nadal was 29 and 31. Roddick was 32 and 35.

That is, if my stats are correct, which I am 99.4% sure they are :p
It was arguably one of Andy's greatest serving performances. Despite his reputation he doesn't get more than 5-8 aces most matches. Last time he got that many aces was when he beat Blake in Memphis (in a final set TB).

And an extra 23 unreturned serves against one of the top returners is quite remarkable.

stebs
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
It was arguably one of Andy's greatest serving performances. Despite his reputation he doesn't get more than 5-8 aces most matches.

It's a product of having such a high % consistently. Roddick (or Stefanki/a former coach) figured out that he gets more success with a higher % and less aces and so he plays it that way. He serves at such pace that if the 1st delivery goes in getting it back is a real challenge even if it's in a nice strike zone.

Jimnik
04-05-2010, 05:39 PM
It's a product of having such a high % consistently. Roddick (or Stefanki/a former coach) figured out that he gets more success with a higher % and less aces and so he plays it that way. He serves at such pace that if the 1st delivery goes in getting it back is a real challenge even if it's in a nice strike zone.
Stefanki might be encouraging him along those lines but he was already like that most of his career. He always had the most power but rarely aimed for the lines like the more traditional big servers. Returners struggle with the timing but they get a racket on it so the unreturned serves end up outnumbering his aces.

oz_boz
04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
:hatoff: Never thought Roddick had it in him to beat Fed or Rafa ever again when they are in OK form, but he proved me wrong. Well done.

But maybe I should have known better - for some strange reason the Miami title has remained but a dream for Rafa for quite a few years now, even though it might be the slowest of all HC tournaments. Remember he was only 2 points away from straight-setting Fed in the 2005 final; by then it looked like it would happen any time soon.

out_here_grindin
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
smart tank

Topspin Forehand
04-05-2010, 09:34 PM
:hatoff: Never thought Roddick had it in him to beat Fed or Rafa ever again when they are in OK form, but he proved me wrong. Well done.

But maybe I should have known better - for some strange reason the Miami title has remained but a dream for Rafa for quite a few years now, even though it might be the slowest of all HC tournaments. Remember he was only 2 points away from straight-setting Fed in the 2005 final; by then it looked like it would happen any time soon.
Indian Wells is slower. Plenty of free points in Miami for Roddick.