Who is your favourite current Spanish player other than Nadal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is your favourite current Spanish player other than Nadal?

FlameOn
04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
I realized if I included Nadal he'd get the overwhelming majority, and I want a closer poll. :p So who apart from Nadal is your favourite Spaniard? ;)

ossie
04-02-2010, 07:41 AM
del potro

tea
04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
:lol: The day when I like any Spanish tennisplayer will be a sad day.

Oh no, I like Carla Suarez Navarro. Does it count?

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-02-2010, 07:55 AM
del potro

smartarse :rolleyes:. Verdasco

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
The ones who are retired.

opeth84
04-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Murray?

Doomach777
04-02-2010, 08:45 AM
murray

DartMarcus
04-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Moya and JCF. And Oscar of course.

coonster14
04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
fernando verdasco :)

M4RC
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM

Do you think you're funny? What a useless tool.

RoddickFan88
04-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Moya and Almagro.

FlameOn
04-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I so should've put Moya in the poll. :scratch: Oh well..."Other" is an option. :p

gorgo1986
04-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I really like Nando Verdasco, Feli Lopez, David Ferrer, Carlos Moya, Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Nicolas Almagro and Tommy Robredo are pretty OK as well.

I can't wait till we win Davis Cup again.

tea
04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Do you think you're funny? What a useless tool.
:bigcry: 11 months of wait made these Spaniards so bitter. He's no finito yet, he'll make you proud soon.:worship:

gorgo1986
04-02-2010, 10:41 AM
:bigcry: 11 months of wait made these Spaniards so bitter. He's no finito yet, he'll make you proud soon.:worship:

Sour grapes again??? What happened to Switzerland???

after Roger is done you guys won't have a top 20 for the next 100 years.

tea
04-02-2010, 10:45 AM
after Roger is done you guys won't have a top 20 for the next 100 years.
Better to have 1 Federer in a lifetime than bunch of mugs, like those in this poll, in everyday life.:D

gorgo1986
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Better to have 1 Federer in a lifetime than bunch of mugs, like those in this poll, in everyday life.:D

Good thing Switzerland have Federer who is half Swiss by the way since his mother is from South Africa(Dutch decent) because Switzerland is virtually non existent in history/sports or anything of relevance. All right! you guys had Hingis isn't she Slovakian? :wavey: :haha:

born_on_clay
04-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Nando :D

vn01
04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Verdasco

Certinfy
04-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Fernando Verdasco :D

tea
04-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Good thing Switzerland have Federer who is half Swiss by the way since his mother is from South Africa(Dutch decent) because Switzerland is virtually non existent in history/sports or anything of relevance. All right! you guys had Hingis isn't she Slovakian? :wavey: :haha:
Same old, same old.:yawn::zzz:

And this virtually unexistent country only brought to game the greatest player ever and the most talented WTA player of all time. Every second country does so, yeah, irrelevance at its finest.:haha:

VolandriFan
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I like them all, but JC was my first Spaniard. :hearts:

n8
04-02-2010, 11:38 AM
So many Spaniards I like, but if I had to order them it would go:

Moya
Almagro
Ferrer
Lopez
Verdasco
Montanes
Robredo
Ferrero

Special mention to Corretja who would be second on my list if he weren't retired.

Aaric
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM

Ha, ha ?? :rolleyes:

Personally JCF

Everko
04-02-2010, 02:19 PM

What bull. Spain has produced champions for decades

tea
04-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Ha, ha ?? :rolleyes:
Ha ha what? I was being serious about Carlita is the only Spanish tennis player I like. Off-topic but not crime, FFS.:rolleyes:

What bull. Spain has produced champions for decades
Right. But not champions of the champions.

Aaric
04-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Ha ha what? I was being serious about Carlita is the only Spanish tennis player I like. Off-topic but not crime, FFS.:rolleyes:

I thought you were laughing at her boy-like looking, sorry in that case

orangehat
04-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Boredo :p

duong
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Verdasco (beautiful shotmaker when he's relaxed)
Almagro (beautiful style, esp backhand)
Ferrer (looks a very nice guy, touching by the way he fights, and also can make some good shots)
Lopez sometimes

Why is Ferrero so much beloved by the way ?

Mateya
04-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Juanqui is very liked here, I noticed that too. :) He seems to have no haters.
Nando chicas put their share of votes...

I like Boredo and JCF but gamewise I like Verdasco, Moya, Montanes and Almugro more.
And Lopez of course, the best spanish backhand of all time. :)

tennisfaNo1
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
the hottie
nando

acionescu
04-02-2010, 03:49 PM
1.Ferrer
2.Verdasco
3.Ferrero
4-12(in Top.100, take that haters :ras:) Others

jrm
04-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Lopez

propi
04-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Fave Spanish ever: The great and almighty Sergi Bruguera :worship:
After him it's Tommy Robredo who places number 1 of the current Spanish players :bounce:
Plus there's a bunch I don't like that much the likes of Ferrer or Verdasco
And Granollers is growing more and more on me after watching him it was looong time I hadn't seen him playing and his backhand was :hearts:

Bad Religion
04-02-2010, 04:43 PM
this virtually unexistent country

Also a coward neutral country of white flags

HKz
04-02-2010, 04:47 PM
G G L

tea
04-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Also a coward neutral country of white flags
Reported. But don't worry they are loyal to fedhatas here.

Maybe you meant it literally about flags? Lost ability to see red color due to daltonism?:hug:

yesyesok
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero for sure.

Respect Nadal.

Can't stand the mental midget Almagro.

Arwelya
04-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Juan Carlos! :D

Ivanatis
04-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Ferrer, Montanes and GGL are fine. Don't like the others.

Pirata.
04-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Fernando, Feli, David/Juanqui tied for third, Tommy, Marcel. I actually don't care for Rafa all that much, though he is a lovely guy with a good personality.

Surprised there aren't more votes for king Oscar :lol:

shotgun
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Fernando Vicente, but these days he's more a case of "ex-player who hasn't retired yet".

Nidhogg
04-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Who is your favourite current Spanish player other than Nadal?

Hrm. Anyway.

The King, Monty, Almugro and Felicity.

Something like that.

Team_Roddick
04-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Nando !

heya
04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Can we mention Fed & his leftover Wawrinka? We can't get enough of them.

No-knee Nadal, bow down to Granollers.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Why is Ferrero so much beloved by the way ?

As I am one of the folks who have voted for Juanqui, I feel obliged to answer your question! :)

First and foremost: he was my fav during the pre-Fedal era. And why? An awesome tennis player, just watch his great runs in 2002-2003, including that RG title and the #1 ATP ranking position. A fantastic all-court player (he made the finals at the 2003 USO as well), not 'just another Spanish clay-courter'.

Of course reason #1 will get me the 'gloryhunter'-verdict again, so... I'll explain that there's more to it than just that.

- El Mosquito is still there, at the age of 30, and doing well. I always admire players having a long career, even the more when they've been plagued by obvious physical adversities. And Ferrero's had them - most of all a bout of chicken pox threw him off somewhere in 2004 (if I am correct about that, if not, do correct me), along with other injuries/sicknesses. The guy obviously (still) likes to play!

- Ferrero is a smart guy. Doesn't he own some holiday real estate in Spain? Better idea than to invest all of your cash in fast cars, tons of women, etc.

- Some great incidents the past couple of years, very illustrative of his character. I can't remember the exact dates or times, but wasn't it back in 2006 when the ATP started experimenting with Round Robin matches in tournaments? At a certain occasion in a tournament in South America (again, fill in the details, I have forgotten them -was it Sao Paulo?), Juanqui lost in the RR stage of the tournament, so, he was back on the plane to Spain, when he found out that due to some retirements, he was still IN the tournament! He didn't bother to come back. :ras: :lol: :worship:
That incident meant about the DEATH of the RR experiment, and rightly so.

- Another one - was it Madrid 2006 or 2007 (Tiriac :help:)? Anyways, he applied for a WC there. Didn't get it - note: a former SPANISH #1 of the world, gets denied a WC at a SPANISH tournament? :o
That WC went to Marat Safin, who, for whatever a reason, withdrew. And then... Juanqui got that WC offered. And what did he do? He denied it! :worship:

In all: this guy is a great player, is smart, has some PERSONALITY, and his looks don't really bother me either, to say the least :p.
Reasons enough to consider myself a fan of his. :yeah:

Hope he'll continue to grace the courts with his presence as long as possible.
VAMOS, Mosquito! :worship:

[EDIT]: looks like he's winning this poll. :rocker2:

Arkulari
04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Pics and then Mosquito, but I usually root for all spaniards with the exception of Boredo (though if he's playing for Spain I'd root for him) and Cabezón

Aaric
04-02-2010, 10:19 PM
As I am one of the folks who have voted for Juanqui, I feel obliged to answer your question! :)

First and foremost: he was my fav during the pre-Fedal era. And why? An awesome tennis player, just watch his great runs in 2002-2003, including that RG title and the #1 ATP ranking position. A fantastic all-court player (he made the finals at the 2003 USO as well), not 'just another Spanish clay-courter'.

Of course reason #1 will get me the 'gloryhunter'-verdict again, so... I'll explain that there's more to it than just that.

- El Mosquito is still there, at the age of 30, and doing well. I always admire players having a long career, even the more when they've been plagued by obvious physical adversities. And Ferrero's had them - most of all a bout of chicken pox threw him off somewhere in 2004 (if I am correct about that, if not, do correct me), along with other injuries/sicknesses. The guy obviously (still) likes to play!

- Ferrero is a smart guy. Doesn't he own some holiday real estate in Spain? Better idea than to invest all of your cash in fast cars, tons of women, etc.

- Some great incidents the past couple of years, very illustrative of his character. I can't remember the exact dates or times, but wasn't it back in 2006 when the ATP started experimenting with Round Robin matches in tournaments? At a certain occasion in a tournament in South America (again, fill in the details, I have forgotten them -was it Sao Paulo?), Juanqui lost in the RR stage of the tournament, so, he was back on the plane to Spain, when he found out that due to some retirements, he was still IN the tournament! He didn't bother to come back. :ras: :lol: :worship:

- Another one - was it Madrid 2006 or 2007 (Tiriac :help:)? Anyways, he applied for a WC there. Didn't get it - note: a former SPANISH #1 of the world, gets denied a WC at a SPANISH tournament? :o
That WC went to Marat Safin, who, for whatever a reason, withdrew. And then... Juanqui got that WC offered. And what did he do? He denied it! :worship:

In all: this guy is a great player, is smart, has some PERSONALITY, and his looks don't really bother me either, to say the least :p.

Hope he'll continue to grace the courts with his presence as long as possible.
VAMOS, Mosquito! :worship:

[EDIT]: looks like he's winning this poll. :rocker2:

Oh.My.God.
:worship:

Sunset of Age
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Oh.My.God.

:p - just felt the need to write it down, even while I realize that there are some glitches in my account - my memory fails me at times. ;)

Repeat after me: VAMOS Juanqui!!! :toothy:

Jimnik
04-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Good poll result. :yeah:

Generally not a big fan of Spanish players but they did produce one awesome Mosquito. :worship:

Persimmon
04-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Sjengster
04-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Ferrer, Montanes and GGL are fine. Don't like the others.

Basically my feelings, though I would include Ferrero in there too. Montanes and Garcia-Lopez are my favourites I would say, I suppose it may just be simple one-handed BH snobbery but they have quite elegant games with good court craft and tactical awareness.

Sonja1989
04-03-2010, 12:44 AM
David Ferrer!!!

theMEESH
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM

I agree with all of what you said... but he also loves fast cars :p he has a ferrari :p :p :p and likes motorsport remember? :D

I couldn't good rep you btw... but I wanted to :smooch:

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 01:33 AM
I agree with all of what you said... but he also loves fast cars :p he has a ferrari :p :p :p and likes motorsport remember? :D

Yeah I understand, of course they all have those Fast Cars - but Juanqui is just one of those fellows who are too smart to CRASH them, no? ;) :p

I couldn't good rep you btw... but I wanted to :smooch:

:hug:

Havok
04-03-2010, 02:48 AM
Nando, followed by Ferrero. Most of the others I don't care much for, really.:shrug:

*bunny*
04-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Yes. Juan Carlos really loves tennis and tries his best on all surfaces (and has a good record on all of them) that's something I really like about him and it makes me want to support him even when things don't go his way. :)

It was Buenos Aires 2007, and it was not JCF who flew back on the plane.
What happened was, Ferrero, Devilder and Lapentti all had one win in the RR stage, and needed another win to go through to QF. But Lapentti, who was supposed to play JC next, withdrew because of injuries. So Ferrero had to play LL Dlouhy although he now had no chance to reach QF even if he won (and he did win). He was obviously not happy but he bit his lips, went out to play Dlouhy and won.
Then Devilder disappeared---somehow he thought he was out and went on the plane. So the tournament asked Ferrero to play QF instead, but he declined. (In the end, the tournament tracked down Devilder and he returned to BA to play QF.)
Of course, he shouln't have lost to Devilder, whom he beat easily in the previous week, but JC's form was up and down in those days.
And the way Ferrero conducted himself with dignity in the tough and ridiculous situation was in a stark contrast to what happened to RR in Las Vegas in the same month. ;)

Also, Juanqui is always very nice to his fans. With his talent, achievement and good looks he could have become a cocky person but that's not the case and he's always very friendly, a little shy and soooooo adorable. :hearts:

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 03:03 AM
^^ Thanks *bunny* for correcting me!
My points still stand I guess. :)

*bunny*
04-03-2010, 03:04 AM
^^ Thanks *bunny* for correcting me!
My points still stand I guess. :)

Of course! :hug: :yeah:

Ariel
04-03-2010, 05:15 AM
- Another one - was it Madrid 2006 or 2007 (Tiriac )? Anyways, he applied for a WC there. Didn't get it - note: a former SPANISH #1 of the world, gets denied a WC at a SPANISH tournament?
That WC went to Marat Safin, who, for whatever a reason, withdrew. And then... Juanqui got that WC offered. And what did he do? He denied it!

I can't believe that Safin got a wildcard over a native son. I don't know if Manolo Santana was running the tournament at the time but I doubt if he would have agreed to that. Tiriac doesn't strike me as having any specific loyalty to Spain and Safin had the bigger name I suppose.

That was a nice write up B.The Cat. Another reason to like Ferrero is that he's been loyal to his coach, Antonio Martinez Cascales, for his entire career. I read that he had a lot of wannabe coaches trying to split him and Cascales up but he opted to continue training at home. He has a mind of his own and is outspoken when he feels he needs to be.

Obviously I voted Ferrero. :)

fred perry
04-03-2010, 05:17 AM
My favorite is Almagro. I love trying to guess which Set he will say No Mas....

Pirata.
04-03-2010, 06:02 AM
I think Ferrer is pretty ballsy too. That story about how his coach used to lock him in a broom cupboard gives me chills.

Sunset of Age
04-03-2010, 06:14 AM
I can't believe that Safin got a wildcard over a native son. I don't know if Manolo Santana was running the tournament at the time but I doubt if he would have agreed to that. Tiriac doesn't strike me as having any specific loyalty to Spain and Safin had the bigger name I suppose.

Yes it happened, and oh yes how RIGHT Juanqui was thereafter, to sort-of tell Tiriac to 'stick it up your a$$'. :p
Tiriac runs Madrid (Santana is a mere 'Talking Head'), and he's a complete [censored]. Good decision there, Juanqui! :rocker2:

That was a nice write up B.The Cat. Another reason to like Ferrero is that he's been loyal to his coach, Antonio Martinez Cascales, for his entire career. I read that he had a lot of wannabe coaches trying to split him and Cascales up but he opted to continue training at home. He has a mind of his own and is outspoken when he feels he needs to be.

WOW yes. Thanks for that addition! :D

acionescu
04-03-2010, 08:08 AM
- Another one - was it Madrid 2006 or 2007 (Tiriac )? Anyways, he applied for a WC there. Didn't get it - note: a former SPANISH #1 of the world, gets denied a WC at a SPANISH tournament?
That WC went to Marat Safin, who, for whatever a reason, withdrew. And then... Juanqui got that WC offered. And what did he do? He denied it!

Obviously I voted Ferrero. :)

Not only Santana was running the tournement back then ( actually he's just Tiriac puppet) but he dared to defend Tiriac postion and accuse JCF of being too proud or something :cuckoo:
The story is that Rome gave Marat a WC in their MD and in exchange Tiriac had to give a WC in Madrid to an Italian player chosen by the Italian Federation and the chosen one was......drumms......Fognini :lol:
Marat, being managed by Tiriac, would have had a WC anyway. The 3rd WC went to Moya who won a Marca( or As, don't remember) poll voted by the readers in which the contenders were Moya and another 3 non-Spanish players :lol: :o
But in the meantime Moya's ranking become higher and he could enter the MD by his own right and that was the moment when Santana(:retard:) offered the WC to JCF who, of course, said no, thanks :yeah:

JolánGagó
04-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Ferrero for a huge mile.

Mateya
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
:cool:
http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0403/nia-139826.jpg

:drool: :rolls:
http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0403/gq7-imgTom.jpg

However, I respect and like everyone in the poll and just cannot pick my favourite. :shrug: My favs are already in the sig.

Ariel
04-03-2010, 04:01 PM
:cool:
http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0403/nia-139826.jpg

:drool: :rolls:
http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0403/gq7-imgTom.jpg

However, I respect and like everyone in the poll and just cannot pick my favourite. :shrug: My favs are already in the sig.

Let me guess, the picture immediately above this post is why most of the guys on this forum hate Tommy's guts :lol: I can handle the nickname "Boredo" because of late I have found it difficult to sit through his matches. He's really only got a plan A and swats away at the ball from ten feet behind the baseline most of the time. But he possesses a beautiful one-handed backhand, he's got a fiery temperament, and he's a good soul off the court i.e. with his wheelchair tennis tournament etc. and for that reason he comes in second for me after Ferrero.

Ariel
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Not only Santana was running the tournement back then ( actually he's just Tiriac puppet) but he dared to defend Tiriac postion and accuse JCF of being too proud or something :cuckoo:
The story is that Rome gave Marat a WC in their MD and in exchange Tiriac had to give a WC in Madrid to an Italian player chosen by the Italian Federation and the chosen one was......drumms......Fognini :lol:
Marat, being managed by Tiriac, would have had a WC anyway. The 3rd WC went to Moya who won a Marca( or As, don't remember) poll voted by the readers in which the contenders were Moya and another 3 non-Spanish players :lol: :o
But in the meantime Moya's ranking become higher and he could enter the MD by his own right and that was the moment when Santana(:retard:) offered the WC to JCF who, of course, said no, thanks :yeah:

Thanks Acionescu for the additional details. So Marat was managed by Tiriac - surprise surprise. ;) What's interesting is that Marat is, in fact, considered a native son of Spain because he got most of his training there and thus, the Italians gave him the wildcard which then had to be reciprocated by Madrid. But Maratsky played for Russia so where's the payback for Spain? (rhetorical question) Unbelievable. Juan Carlos is their former #1 and he's not even on the list of Marca contenders. :( As far as Santana supporting Tiriac against one of his own that's just pathetic. Manolo played in the wrong era. Talents like him got paid nothing, relatively speaking, and thus he has to play second fiddle to ol' money bags Tirry. What a commentary.

Nole fan
04-03-2010, 06:00 PM
I was a big fan of Sergi Bruguera. :p

Selby
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Ivan Navarro

malisha
04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Ivan Navarro

good choice

Action Jackson
04-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Fernando Vicente, but these days he's more a case of "ex-player who hasn't retired yet".

Handsome beat is the Vicente as well. The King, DGT and Fat Albert aren't too bad either, though Marc Lopez is ok.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/GeorgeWH/FV1.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/GeorgeWH/FV2.jpg

jcempire
04-04-2010, 07:59 PM
David Ferrer
no doubt about it

Dini
04-04-2010, 10:43 PM
JCF, Ferrer and Lopez. In that order.

Ferrero for his awesome forehand on clay especially and his memorable Wimbledon matches (also for reminding the youngsters he is still a force), Ferrer for being the little guy with the massive heart and Lopez for his beautiful lefty-serve-and-volley style: love it.:hearts: Great thread.

DrJules
04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Verdasco.

DJ Soup
04-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Ferrero and GGL

arch_enemy
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
JC,one of my favs for sure
Verdasco and Almagro are also good for me

Sunset of Age
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Good to see Juanqui win this poll! :yeah:

Well, so far that is. Expect an influx of Verdasco fans right now. :p

ad-out
04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
JCF and Feli

duong
04-05-2010, 11:23 PM
As for the personality my favorite one is David Ferrer : I like what his fellow players said about him, that he underated hilmself and so on ... also during his matches he always looks very fair-play : always checks if the ball is in or out but always is very honest about that.

Also he looks as a demon on court but when he goes out of the court, showing his hair, he's quite elegant actually ;). Has had the same coach for ages, who looks nice then all good impressions for me :shrug:

As for Ferrero, I will tell you the truth : I had a bad impression about him during last US Open, when he beat Santoro.

In the end of the match, he shook Santoro's hand without emotion and more importantly left the court in a hurry, not waiting for Santoro at all.

It looked as if someone was calling him back to celebrate but he didn't want.

I can perfectly understand that he was fed-up with all these Santoro celebrations, having played him already twice in grand slams in the same year (Santoro's final year) before. Also he had to forget that during the match to beat Santoro quite easily to be rested for next rounds.

But this tournament was really different, as it was, at least that's what we thought at this moment, Santoro's final grand slam, with a lot of emotions for him and also for myself.

That's why to say the truth, I was waiting for your comments about Ferrero as it seems that so many people like him, but I'm not esp seduced by them :shrug:

From all I can read from his fans here about Ferrero, well he has character, is fiery ... his handsome face fits that impression actually.

But well I don't especially admire fiery players, it's easy to be fiery imo, much more difficult to be really nice.

You speak about circumstances where he was a "victim" : well it helps to like someone probably, but it's not esp remarkable of a player's character imo.

I've also heard that Nadal and Ferrero have quite difficult relations, and well Nadal is a delicious guy and a model outside of court imo. Then I wonder about Ferrero :confused:

I don't know more than that but it just doesn't give me great impression :shrug:

To be honest, Verdasco is my favorite player on court, ahead of Almagro,
but both player's personalities look very intellectually and humanly limited :o :lol:

As for the personality, David Ferrer is the only one who has made me like him so far :shrug:

RogiFan88
04-06-2010, 03:15 AM
does he have to be a current player??

*bunny*
04-06-2010, 05:39 AM
As for the personality my favorite one is David Ferrer : I like what his fellow players said about him, that he underated hilmself and so on ... also during his matches he always looks very fair-play : always checks if the ball is in or out but always is very honest about that.

Also he looks as a demon on court but when he goes out of the court, showing his hair, he's quite elegant actually ;). Has had the same coach for ages, who looks nice then all good impressions for me :shrug:

As for Ferrero, I will tell you the truth : I had a bad impression about him during last US Open, when he beat Santoro.

In the end of the match, he shook Santoro's hand without emotion and more importantly left the court in a hurry, not waiting for Santoro at all.

It looked as if someone was calling him back to celebrate but he didn't want.

I can perfectly understand that he was fed-up with all these Santoro celebrations, having played him already twice in grand slams in the same year (Santoro's final year) before. Also he had to forget that during the match to beat Santoro quite easily to be rested for next rounds.

But this tournament was really different, as it was, at least that's what we thought at this moment, Santoro's final grand slam, with a lot of emotions for him and also for myself.

That's why to say the truth, I was waiting for your comments about Ferrero as it seems that so many people like him, but I'm not esp seduced by them :shrug:
I was at that match against Santoro, and there was a group of French TV crew and reporters coming on court right after the match to interview the Frenchman. JC usually takes time to sign many autographs for fans after a win, but it looked to me he left immediately that day not to disrupt what started on court and to give Santoro the centre stage, which I think was the appropriate thing to do. It would have looked more awkward if he stayed on longer under the circumnstances. Santoro stayed on court after the interview to sign many autographs. The handshake wasn't very long, but remember, they had a big hug after their match at Wimbledon.

From all I can read from his fans here about Ferrero, well he has character, is fiery ... his handsome face fits that impression actually.

But well I don't especially admire fiery players, it's easy to be fiery imo, much more difficult to be really nice.

You speak about circumstances where he was a "victim" : well it helps to like someone probably, but it's not esp remarkable of a player's character imo.
It's how he conducted himself when he was a "victim," in your words.
I'm sure he has fire inside but he doesn't show it too often or too aggressively, that's what I think. To me he comes off as a rather reserved, gentle person off court.

I've also heard that Nadal and Ferrero have quite difficult relations, and well Nadal is a delicious guy and a model outside of court imo. Then I wonder about Ferrero :confused:
Then they wouldn't go playing golf together. :p

duong
04-06-2010, 08:48 AM
I was at that match against Santoro, and there was a group of French TV crew and reporters coming on court right after the match to interview the Frenchman. JC usually takes time to sign many autographs for fans after a win, but it looked to me he left immediately that day not to disrupt what started on court and to give Santoro the centre stage, which I think was the appropriate thing to do. It would have looked more awkward if he stayed on longer under the circumnstances. Santoro stayed on court after the interview to sign many autographs. The handshake wasn't very long, but remember, they had a big hug after their match at Wimbledon.

It's how he conducted himself when he was a "victim," in your words.
I'm sure he has fire inside but he doesn't show it too often or too aggressively, that's what I think. To me he comes off as a rather reserved, gentle person off court.

Then they wouldn't go playing golf together. :p

Thank you very much for your answers Bunny :D

I don't like when I have something like that, which may be related to a misunderstanding.

Esp about Santoro's match : actually I only saw it on TV, from my seat Ferrero's behaviour looked awkward. I don't care much about handshakes usually then it was not the problem, but rather when I saw him leaving with a quite closed face and somebody calling him back and him not wanting, it looked like as he wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

But you gave me a better explanation now ;) :yeah:

Apart from that, I rather had a good impression about Ferrero, but rather vague one to say the truth (Ferrer had put a mark on me on the opposite from what I heard/saw of him). But that TV seeing with Santoro had left me a bad impression/taste.

And I had been completely mistaken about Nadal then :p :lol:
And Ferrer and Ferrero must also be friends as they own a tournament together ;)

Thank you very much for your answers, I feel less awkward now :worship:

Puschkin
04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Juanqui by far.

moon language
04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Pau Gasol

HattonWBA
04-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Albert Montanes and JCF

NADALbULLS
04-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Murray is Spanish, no?

theMEESH
04-06-2010, 01:28 PM
And Ferrer and Ferrero must also be friends as they own a tournament together ;)

Juan Carlos and David are practically married! They were always together at IW :lol: They are really good friends :D and both very very nice

mark73
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM

my country is better than your country. nananana

Ariel
04-06-2010, 03:42 PM

I was also at that US Open match and I can tell you that there were many smiles going back and forth between the two players, especially when Fabrice volleyed or employed his drop shot to catch JC off guard. You could tell that JC was aware he was being outplayed at the net and the smiles were those of respect and understanding that creative shot making is what Fabrice does so well. The handshake at the net was brief but again there were smiles - two veterans who look like they get along just fine. At least that was the vibe I got. :)

l_mac
04-06-2010, 03:49 PM
There are other Spanish players??? :speakles: :confused:

Certinfy
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM

Yes, and most of them have won a title within the last year or so :speakles:

l_mac
04-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, and most of them have won a title within the last year or so :speakles:

:shrug:

Start da Game
04-06-2010, 05:00 PM
carlos moya.......

duong
04-06-2010, 09:17 PM

yes and many let Nadal win when they met him ;) : Almagro, Robredo, Ferrer, Lopez retiring after beating Söderling ... even Verdasco a few times :rolleyes:

You should know them and be grateful as they have been his best allies a few times ;)

Nadal's muscles and reputation always make them go out of their match in the end like Ferrer recently :sad:

willoughby
04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Fernando Vicente, Óscar Hernández, Albert Montańés and Marc López

JeffCandoi
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Verdasco for me :D, Marc is great too :lol:, but JCF is a boring one :ras:

DualMedia
04-06-2010, 10:28 PM
almagro has the biggest and greenest eyes