Did everyone know but me? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did everyone know but me?

myrt
04-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Tommy Haas is now the #2 ranked American. Knew he had dual citizenship but never thought about him being ranked as American..Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say he would still be available for German DC? Love his game but wonder at the divided loyalty.

william_renshaw
04-02-2010, 01:05 AM
A bit ridiculous that players can change their nationalities. A lot of it has been going on recently... i think golubev decided to become a kazhakstani. Davydenko was considering becoming an austrian. Djokovic almost became a brit!

Mind you, Sharapova is clearly American, don't know why she insists on representing russia.

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 01:18 AM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1664/tommyhaas.jpg

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 01:21 AM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/192/rankingsforgermany.jpg

Kohli is now the highest ranked German player.

andy neyer
04-02-2010, 01:27 AM
A bit ridiculous that players can change their nationalities. A lot of it has been going on recently... i think golubev decided to become a kazhakstani. Davydenko was considering becoming an austrian. Djokovic almost became a brit!

Mind you, Sharapova is clearly American, don't know why she insists on representing russia.

I think Davydenko wanted to have double citizenship with Austria but I don't know if he would have considered to play for that country.
I didn't know that Novak "almost became a brit". I knew the British were fancying his brother but nothing happened at the end. Somehow I can't imagine someone who appears to be as nationalistic as Novak accepting another citizenship.

I think it's really bad that players decide to switch their nationalities just like that. Fortunately it only seems to happen in isolated cases.

Fee
04-02-2010, 04:06 AM
Tommy Haas is now the #2 ranked American. Knew he had dual citizenship but never thought about him being ranked as American..Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he say he would still be available for German DC? Love his game but wonder at the divided loyalty.

The thread is in the off-topic section. I think it only happened around the beginning of the Miami main draw, so you aren't months behind or anything like that. I still don't think Tommy has announced it on his website yet but if the ATP has had it up for over a week, it's probably a done deal.

brent-o
04-02-2010, 04:09 AM
That's too cool that we have Haas now. But yeah, I don't know how I feel about this whole switching nationalities thing...

gulzhan
04-02-2010, 04:32 AM
Who cares :shrug:

croat123
04-02-2010, 01:18 PM
when you become a naturalized U.S. citizen, you must give up all allegiance to "any foreign prince" etc. he doesn't really have a choice of whether to play for the U.S. or Germany now

Nathaliia
04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
This just means German tennis has reached even the newer low. Best player ranked 33. O tempora, o mores. Stich and Becker must be loving this, not to mention casual discipline supporters.

tennishero
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
lol i guess haas got tired of playing with mugs