What went wrong in Donald Young's career? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What went wrong in Donald Young's career?

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Donald Young was an amazing junior tennis player. What happened because he is 20-21 and has not even made it into the top 100. Marin Cilic was #2 at the time when Donald was # 1. I am just curious , WTH happened to him??

Black Adam
04-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Like with Gascoke, the weight of expectation has been his downfall. But as The Great Andre showed, it's never too late to blossom.

Or Levy
04-01-2010, 05:39 PM
His small frame might have something to do with it. He's a small guy, that may not have been a huge problem when he was 16, but it is now.

nanoman
04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
What went wrong ? He stopped growing.

Smoke944
04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
His small frame might have something to do with it. He's a small guy, that may not have been a huge problem when he was 16, but it is now.

This. But give him some time still :)

rubbERR
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Young is 183cm so hes not small, fools :lol:

Johnny Groove
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM

It is a generous 183.

Young's career was doomed from the start. He was pushed into ATP events way too soon with wild cards. Miami 2006, he lost to Carlos Berlocq 1st round 0-6 0-6. Berlocq would then lose to Blake 0-6 0-6 in the next round. Had to have been a confidence destroyer.

He's still very young, turns 21 in July. :shrug:

He's been in the top 100 before, up to 74 or so his career high. I think he needs three things.

1. To get more power in his game. He's got a good game, but he can't finish points. His volleys aren't that bad, but often he misses them due to his approach being a bitch shot that the opponent can get to and get a nice pass on. Whether it be in the gym, technique, or a racquet switch, he needs to do one of these things.

2. Maturity. I know this sounds a bit hypocritical from someone 4 months younger than D.Y., but his mental game isn't up to par. Easily frustrated. He should read the Inner Game of Tennis as well as Winning Ugly (I know Brad Gilbert is a bit of a clown, but he knows his shit).

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 06:48 PM
so true, that can destroy your confidence. My confidence would be messed up if I got double bageled all the time.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2010, 06:52 PM
It is a generous 183.

Young's career was doomed from the start. He was pushed into ATP events way too soon with wild cards. Miami 2006, he lost to Carlos Berlocq 1st round 0-6 0-6. Berlocq would then lose to Blake 0-6 0-6 in the next round. Had to have been a confidence destroyer.

That's a problem. He got too many WC at the beginning of career. After first 2-3 painful defeats should've played some Challengers or qualies. He was very young and preserved a habit of disastrous defeats. Moreover, who would affraid of a player who loses 0-6 0-6 to a player who loses 0-6 0-6 in the next round?
Young is just another Tommy Ho, nothing more, and consolation about his young age is rather poor knowing he debuted on ATP Tour already 5 years ago!

DartMarcus
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
He is like a worse version of Hewitt, isn't he?

r2473
04-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I think his attitude is shit too.

He was hailed is the next great thing from an early age. He had great success in the juniors. He received (undeserved) wildcards into ATP events at an early age.

Now things don't come so easy for him and I don't see the necessary fight and humility in the kid that could make him successful.

I think he has the talent. I'm just not sure he is willing to put in the hard work and give the effort needed (every single day).

Boboskidaj
04-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Same thing as Somdev Devvarman, needs more power or a finishing shot, forehand, beckhand, serve, maybe serve&volley, find something he's got at and then work at it, most players have only one shoot or secret weapon.

Size is not an excuse look at Rochus or Becker.

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I think his attitude is shit too.

He was hailed is the next great thing from an early age. He had great success in the juniors. He received (undeserved) wildcards into ATP events at an early age.

Now things don't come so easy for him and I don't see the necessary fight and humility in the kid that could make him successful.

I think he has the talent. I'm just not sure he is willing to put in the hard work and give the effort needed (every single day).

so good point , He never worked for his wildcards when he was young, but now he is having to earn his way into the main draw, which I am assuming he thinks is not right.

r2473
04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I also think he would (or at least might) benefit from a different coach instead of mommy and daddy.

But, Uncle Tony has done the job for Nadal, so maybe not. Worth a try for Young IMO though.

docking34
04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
what went wrong?

his fat-mom is still coaching him.

CmonAussie
04-01-2010, 08:13 PM
He is like a worse version of Hewitt, isn't he?

...:rolleyes:
mmm Donald is a lot worse than Hewitt:p
It sounds as if you`re disrespecting Hewitt here, remember Lleyton is more accomplished than any other active player except Fed & Rafa..!!
Tennis Magazine voted Hewitt the 17th greatest player of the Open Era..!:cool::p

out_here_grindin
04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Same thing as Somdev Devvarman, needs more power or a finishing shot, forehand, beckhand, serve, maybe serve&volley, find something he's got at and then work at it, most players have only one shoot or secret weapon.

Size is not an excuse look at Rochus or Becker.

Technically, but Devvarman is more mentally solid than Young will ever be.

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 08:51 PM
somdev is probally going to be a top 30 player , nothing more maybe something less.

Haelfix
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
"He stopped growing."

Yes! When people rate juniors they look at intangible aspects that are sort of set. Things like hand-eye coordination, speed footwork and balance, stroke technique and the like. D Young rated highly in a lot of those, and was hence heralded as the next big thing.

The assumption is that they will get bigger and stronger as they mature, and that usually happens. However it didn't with Donald. He might be only 5 or 10% stronger than when he was a teenager, and that obviously is the kiss of death in a physical game.

Yea he could hit the gym more, but then again maybe he does and its just a genetic quality that he has difficulty in putting on muscle mass.

The bottomline is that his game is sort of stuck in a never never land. He isn't strong enough or consistent enough to be a grinder, and he doesn't have the stroke power to be an offensive player.

ossie
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
nothing happened to him he was just overhyped

LleytonMonfils
04-01-2010, 09:06 PM
His inner circle. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't surround yourself with the right people it is only going to get you so far.

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 09:09 PM
"He stopped growing."

Yes! When people rate juniors they look at intangible aspects that are sort of set. Things like hand-eye coordination, speed footwork and balance, stroke technique and the like. D Young rated highly in a lot of those, and was hence heralded as the next big thing.

The assumption is that they will get bigger and stronger as they mature, and that usually happens. However it didn't with Donald. He might be only 5 or 10% stronger than when he was a teenager, and that obviously is the kiss of death in a physical game.

Yea he could hit the gym more, but then again maybe he does and its just a genetic quality that he has difficulty in putting on muscle mass.

The bottomline is that his game is sort of stuck in a never never land. He isn't strong enough or consistent enough to be a grinder, and he doesn't have the stroke power to be an offensive player.

that is exactly what happen , he stopped . Growing , improving, and surrounding himself with great people, he stopped that.

Federer is still improving. Nadal is still improving. Every player in tennis, basketball and etc. are improving. Being an athelete you can't stop improving you need to always move up and get better with every generation.

khyber
04-01-2010, 09:44 PM
His inner circle. You can have all the talent in the world, but if you don't surround yourself with the right people it is only going to get you so far. I think he got thrown into the deep end way to early by people who were looking to make a fast buck off of him. He bought into the "greatness" BS and that probably slowed his progress. Yes, he's not a huge guy, but smaller and or skinny guys find a way to make the most of their game if they are really dedicated.

jcempire
04-01-2010, 09:48 PM
if he got a great coach that everything would be different

it's not too late to send him a good coach.

martinatreue
04-01-2010, 10:01 PM
His forehand is very moonball and his backhand sucks. Mental strength non existent (petulance)

star
04-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Have you seen Donald Young in person? He is not six feet tall. I can promise you that. Not only is he rather short, he has a small delicate looking frame. He's sort of a Lleyton Hewitt type but without the legs.

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 10:15 PM
lol , without the legs

KarlyM
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
1. To get more power in his game. He's got a good game, but he can't finish points. His volleys aren't that bad, but often he misses them due to his approach being a bitch shot that the opponent can get to and get a nice pass on. Whether it be in the gym, technique, or a racquet switch, he needs to do one of these things.

2. Maturity. I know this sounds a bit hypocritical from someone 4 months younger than D.Y., but his mental game isn't up to par. Easily frustrated. He should read the Inner Game of Tennis as well as Winning Ugly (I know Brad Gilbert is a bit of a clown, but he knows his shit). I agree, plus he needs to fire his parents and get a real coach -- the USTA thinks so and won't give him WC's because of it. ;)

DualMedia
04-01-2010, 10:38 PM
when you have your parents as your coach, most of the time , it is hard to tell them back off. Trust me!!

Brazilianmug
04-01-2010, 10:45 PM
The answer: mainly Donald Young himself and his family/baggage. That was easy.

yesyesok
04-01-2010, 11:49 PM
I also think he would (or at least might) benefit from a different coach instead of mommy and daddy.

But, Uncle Tony has done the job for Nadal, so maybe not. Worth a try for Young IMO though.

I think in general family as coaches is a bad idea. Nadal is the excpetion not the rule, and IMHO Toni has cost Nadal years of his career by developing his game as he has, and Nadal should get a new coach before he loses any more.

moon language
04-02-2010, 12:04 AM
He hasn't had the right coaching.

pesto
04-02-2010, 01:04 AM
He's not big, but he's not tiny. I find it hard to believe that with the talent he showed early on, he couldn't or shouldn't be doing better than he is - forgetting any foolish talk about next GOAT.

I think you have to blame his entourage for pushing him too far, too soon, and getting greedy, but at his age, it's about time he started taking some responsibility for his future development

DualMedia
04-02-2010, 11:08 PM
he should have waited on becoming a pro.

jacobhiggins
04-03-2010, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52hCq9By7Y

To say Donald Young doesn't work hard or say he isn't humble is somebody who has a grudge against Donald. He's still young and not everybody is the same, he might not reach his full potential until two to three years from now. He has a good head on his shoulders and a good mind set and has grown up alot.

Some of you people wrote him off when he was sixteen years old just because he became popular, and the same people are saying the same thing five years later. Half the people who posted in this thread don't have a clue to what their talking about!

out_here_grindin
04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
he should have waited on becoming a pro.

I know it would have sounded insane then and would have never happened, but Young is a player who could have benefited from college tennis. Have an outside coach on a team format. He could have gone to U of Georgia and been there with Isner.

River
04-03-2010, 07:35 PM
His parents refuse to cut the cord, that's all.

Here we have a guy who has such unbelievable talent whose parents refuse to allow the USTA to 'use' him. The USTA wants to help this guy, even place him in the Bollettieri Academy, but his parents don't want any of it.

Mom thinks like she's the second coming of Richard Williams, that's my guess.

Chip_s_m
04-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I know it would have sounded insane then and would have never happened, but Young is a player who could have benefited from college tennis. Have an outside coach on a team format. He could have gone to U of Georgia and been there with Isner.

That may be easy to say in retrospect, but made no sense at the time. He was the top junior in the world, one of the best ever. He was top 100 in 2007, the year he would've entered his first year of college (he actually have had to wait until 2008, I'm not sure when he graduated from high school). Isner, Anderson, Levine, and Sweeting had already graduated. The only other competition for him would've been Devvarman (for only one year). That's like 3-4 matches max. College is good for players who aren't yet able to compete on the pro tour with any success--Guys like Isner, who had no chance of doing well on the pro tour if he had skipped college. Kuznetsov, Simmonds, Jenkins, and Oudsema all would have done well to go to college because they hadn't had any real success at the pro level.

Young, however, had already been doing well in challengers (he won a bunch that fall). I agree that a stable, low-key, environment like the college game (compared to the pro tour) would have benefited Young. He didn't need to go to college to do it. If he hadn't been pushed into the spotlight or have any pressure hoisted upon him he would've been much better off.

Harrison's career has been handled infinitely better than Young's, and their situations weren't too far off. His dad is still involved in coaching, but he's also being influenced by a number of other coaches at Bollitieri's. He's also being somewhat sheltered there while still being able to grow into being a pro. Young should've taken this approach (and still could).

Persimmon
04-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I think in general family as coaches is a bad idea. Nadal is the excpetion not the rule, and IMHO Toni has cost Nadal years of his career by developing his game as he has, and Nadal should get a new coach before he loses any more.

Agree.

Nathaliia
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
I have to agree with most of you; all the bad things started from the ones who wanted for him the best. His parents. Then when pressure, hype and a soap balloon breaks confronted with tough reality of professional tennis, the demons evoke. He didn't receive professional help on any level, including psychological. Even relatively recently his manager even forgot to sign him up for a futures, so he was forced to play the quallies. There wasn't much of professional atmosphere around the undoubtful talent, hence he hasn't met the potential. I don't think this has anything to do with his small frame. Watch Coria, Santoro, Ollie Rochus among the others.

harrywang5
04-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Yes it is a terrible thing when your parents, who are supposed to look for your best interest, ruin your career. All because of his mom's ego and the parents wanting to leech off of him, only when the well is completely dry will they change.

-Valhalla-
04-04-2010, 12:36 AM
It is a generous 183.

He's still very young, turns 21 in July. :shrug:

He's been in the top 100 before, up to 74 or so his career high. I think he needs three things.

2. Maturity. I know this sounds a bit hypocritical from someone 4 months younger than D.Y., but his mental game isn't up to par. Easily frustrated. He should read the Inner Game of Tennis as well as Winning Ugly (I know Brad Gilbert is a bit of a clown, but he knows his shit).

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up.