Miami QF: Nadal def. Tsonga 6-3 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami QF: Nadal def. Tsonga 6-3 6-2

Arkulari
04-01-2010, 03:44 AM
Rafa was too solid and Tsonga just lost tons and tons and tons of opportunities and looked pretty defeated in the second set

whattheheck
04-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Very entertaining match.

TMJordan
Tsonga played a very very smart match, good stuff Jo.

Michael Bluth
Hats off to Rafa, that was a great match by him.

Mechlan
Only watched the latter half of the match, but Rafa looked great.

Action Jackson
04-01-2010, 03:46 AM
Pig and against the Duck in the semis.

Good to see the umpire letting the time wasting pass, but once he got the break in the 1st set, then Nadal was just too good.

Certinfy
Tsonga's mentality was amazing :rolleyes:

Fiberlight1
Let the excuses begin.. :)

Topspin Forehand
Best match from Nadal that I've ever seen. Conditions didn't suit him with Tsonga being all geared up for a night match and he still found a way. Vamos

william_renshaw
04-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Rafa was amazing, great stuff.

Tsonga played like a clown from halfway through the 1st to halfway through the 2nd set.

GasquetFan
Impressive performance. :yeah: Now get rid of Duck!!

ChinoRios4Ever
a quickie

Jimnik
BP conversions say it all:

Tsonga 0/8
Nadal 4/5

LinkMage
Another day, another choker. :zzz:

osalsyst
04-01-2010, 03:48 AM
Nadal was nasty tonight. Jo played the big points pretty badly but tonight it was all about Rafa. He was just too good. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening for Roddick in the semis.

Mimi
04-01-2010, 03:48 AM
:bigclap::bigclap::yippee:

federernadalfan
04-01-2010, 03:49 AM
good match from rafa
pretty disappointing match from jo willie

habibko
Tsonga clowned the latter half of the 1st set, and Nadal picked it up in the 2nd and never looked back, poor mental showing from Tsonga and the opposite from Nadal, Tsonga never took the chances he got, much deserved victory.

Nadal a lock for the title :yeah:

Mungo
Tsonga played a very very smart match, good stuff Jo.

did you read the score reversed? :rolleyes:

~Maya~
:hearts: :bounce: Great stuff from Rafa :D

moon language
04-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Tsonga started off playing so crisp I really thought he was going to win, then he pulled a Tsonga and lost his focus. More reason to never bet on Tsonga.

Deivid23
04-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Rafa is a smart lad and Tsonga is a donkey. This made the scoreline look like that, but match was much closer than it suggests and no, I´m not impressed at all with Rafa´s display, he needs to play much better than this

rocketassist
:zzz:

Rodduck will get gobbled up. Vamos Soderking!!

MacTheKnife
Disappointing match. Thought it would at least be competitive.

ChinoRios4Ever
04-01-2010, 03:52 AM
I´m not impressed at all with Rafa´s display, he needs to play much better than this

Fully agree.

oranges
That was just awful Jo :(

born_on_clay
just hope Rafa will bring today's performance in semifinal :D

tennizen
04-01-2010, 03:53 AM
Rafa is a smart lad and Tsonga is a donkey. This made the scoreline look like that, but match was much closer than it suggests and no, I´m not impressed at all with Rafa´s display, he needs to play much better than this

:rolls: Best post in this thread:yeah:

Also people underestimating Roddick as usual:zzz: He is a better player than the likes of Soderling and co.

Mungo
04-01-2010, 03:53 AM

hahaha if Nadal plays much better than this he won't drop a game against Roddick. Nadal was awesome! VAMOS!

rocketassist
04-01-2010, 03:55 AM
:rolls: Best post in this thread:yeah:

Also people underestimating Roddick as usual:zzz: He is a better player than the likes of Soderling and co.

Much better match up for the pig though....

Rodduck has no big groundies, he will not make him sweat at all. In fact the Duck is one of those few guys Nadal can actually bully around and outhit.

moon language

Not against Nadal he isn't, assuming there are any baseline rallies involved.

General Suburbia
He was very solid all match and played some great points. What exactly does he need work on?

Bibberz
04-01-2010, 03:57 AM
Rafa played like shit. :(

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2509/rafaelnadalgo7.jpg

Mimi
did you read the score reversed? :rolleyes:
don't be fooled by Jordan, he is being sacrastic, he is a unique poster:p

Jimnik
Much better match up for the pig though....

Rodduck has no big groundies, he will not make him sweat at all. In fact the Duck is one of those few guys Nadal can actually bully around and outhit.
Doesn't matter. Tsonga has big groundies and look what happened to him.

It's not just about styles and match-ups. The mental side of the game is more important.

marcRD
04-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Nadal will be the aggressive one against Roddick, will be fun to watch...

Roddick prob wont hit any winners from the baseline.

rocketassist
04-01-2010, 03:58 AM

It's not just about styles and match-ups. The mental side of the game is more important.

Find me a solely solid player without the ability to hit big that beat him. Simon's fluke win in Madrid 08 aside.

Sunset of Age
04-01-2010, 03:59 AM
Only saw the last couple of games but what I saw was just terrific from Nadal. :yeah: A complete beatdown! :bounce:

I expected a little more resistance from Tsonga though... apparently he couldn't capitalize on any of his BPs (I guess Nadal defended them all very well). As such, I don't see the Duck having much chances either. IMHO, Rafa is a lock-in for the final now, and very good chances, for the title too. :D

That time-wasting though... it's about the only thing I do not like about Rafa, and he doesn't need that sh*t at all (whether or not he does it on purpose doesn't make a difference). Tsonga was right to complain about it, too bad it apparently threw him off the hook as much as it did.

gorgo1986
04-01-2010, 04:01 AM
The best match I have seen from Rafa in over a year, he outplayed Tsonga! I hope he gets Soderling in the final(plays like today) and trashes him.

and by the way all the haters better get use to this because clay season is almost here and Rafa looks in form.

WAY TO SHUT THEM UP RAFA!!!! KEEP IT UP!

Jimnik
04-01-2010, 04:01 AM
Find me a solely solid player without the ability to hit big that beat him. Simon's fluke win in Madrid 08 aside.
Why was Simon's win a "fluke"?

Don't delude yourself into thinking Roddick is just a "solid player". Of course he's underdog against Nadal but he proved several times he can raise his game for big matches.

moon language
04-01-2010, 04:02 AM
I expected a little more resistance from Tsonga though... apparently he couldn't capitalize on any of his BPs (I guess Nadal defended them all very well). As such, I don't see the Duck having much chances either. IMHO, Rafa is a lock-in for the final now, and very good chances, for the title too. :D

Tsonga looked good at the start of the match. Then he got frustrated that Nadal was taking too much time and promptly dumped his serve after which he had a long talk with the umpire. He never really fully recovered after that.

tangerine_dream
04-01-2010, 04:04 AM
What a performance from Rafa. Positively orgasmic. :worship:

philosophicalarf
04-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Tsonga had triple bp, missed chance (including one sitter), got frustrated at timewasting, lost his head..... and 7 games in a row.

Court too slow for Tsonga really (at least at night), was getting very little off the serve and thus had too play at too consistent a level in too many rallies.

Mechlan
04-01-2010, 04:16 AM

The mental side is not nearly as important as the match-up. I would be very surprised if Roddick beats Nadal. Funny thing is, Roddick has what it takes but never plays the way he should.

Jimnik
04-01-2010, 04:18 AM
The mental side is not nearly as important as the match-up.
Today proves you wrong.

LinkMage
04-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Nadull played good? Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro or Davydenko would have roasted him 6-3 6-1.

Instead he faces a brainless player like Clownga. :zzz:

-Valhalla-
04-01-2010, 04:24 AM
Wow ... impressive performance from Rafa. He looked very sharp, very focused, and very intense. In other words, the opposite of Federer last nite.

My only disappointment was that the match became a bit anti-climactic after the first few games. What I thought would become an instant classic, descended into a rout, a clinic. Clownga seemed to lose all focus after grumbling about the time delays and was never the same [shades of Soderling last year in Rome?]. He was well within his rights to complain, but doing so immediately after being broken made it appear to be just sour grapes, with the chair ump admonishing him "Let me take care of that."

Oh well, in any case, Roddick’s in for a tough one on Friday and I don’t think he’ll offer much resistance. IMO, the only man that can possibly stop him now is Robin Soderling.

Clara Bow
04-01-2010, 04:26 AM
While some may be saying that Rafa did not play well- I thought he played quite well. He actually had a game plan which after yesterday I thought he forgot to do.

Tsonga did not play his best, but I thought Rafa looked good. :)

Mechlan
04-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Today proves you wrong.

One example does not make an argument.

How a player fares against another is usually determined by the way their games match up, not the way their mental strengths match up. If someone is significantly better mentally, it makes a difference, of course. If someone plays better on the day, it makes a difference. Nadal and Tsonga mentally, there is no comparison. Nadal and Roddick is closer. And that match up has never been about the mentality.

lalaland
04-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Bravo Rafa, win it all.

M4RC
04-01-2010, 04:40 AM
Court too slow for Tsonga really (at least at night)

Purple clay at its finest.

Today proves you wrong.

When has Tsonga become a bad match-up for Nadal? I mean, 5 to 1. Are we gonna determine good/bad match-ups because of 1 match? Then Blake is a nightmare of a match-up for Federer.

Nadull played good? Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro or Davydenko would have roasted him 6-3 6-1.

Instead he faces a brainless player like Clownga. :zzz:

Djokovic and Murray: two real Spartans. Today's Tsonga would have spanked both Rochus and Fish, like he did against JCF. Tsonga becomes Clownga when he faces a good player. Maybe Nadal (Nadull, you know :zzz:) has something to do with that after all.

-Valhalla-
04-01-2010, 04:41 AM

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2509/rafaelnadalgo7.jpg

:lol:

Leo
04-01-2010, 04:48 AM
That was a very high quality match. Tsonga played well, Nadal just played much better. Haven't seen Nadal so aggressive on hard courts in a long time. I think Tsonga pulled it out of him.

Schu
04-01-2010, 04:56 AM
:bounce::bounce::bigclap::bigclap:

Rafa getting into form just in time for clay...

Nadal too tough and playing for much of the match much closer to the baseline with good transition to net - Tsonga just had no clue what to do but resort to complaining about Nadal's time wasting.

Jimnik
04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
One example does not make an argument.

How a player fares against another is usually determined by the way their games match up, not the way their mental strengths match up. If someone is significantly better mentally, it makes a difference, of course. If someone plays better on the day, it makes a difference. Nadal and Tsonga mentally, there is no comparison. Nadal and Roddick is closer. And that match up has never been about the mentality.
There are loads of examples, today just happens to be a very good one, especially since Tsonga is not weak in the mental department.

Among the most obvious ones, Verdasco's mental strength was the only difference between the journeyman of 2008 and the top 8 player of 2009. Look at Safin's losses last year, he was certainly not out-played by Monfils, Lapentti and Robredo.

In fact the peaks and troughs of every player's career can be better explained on the mental side. Rarely is a change in style or pure ability the cause of a rise or decline in form. Confidence is everything.

Ariel
04-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Thrilling stuff from Rafa tonight. He stayed at the baseline rather than behind it and within it to return many of Tsonga's shots. He got more free points off his serve than I've seen in a long time, and he was highly successful when he came to net. It's such a pleasure to see a Spaniard playing this aggressively. Rafa is a canny player. He'll beat Roddick who simply does not have Rafa's court savvy. The icing on the cake will be to see Rafa get his revenge on Sod in the final.

Roddickpova
04-01-2010, 05:22 AM
:woohoo: Well done Rafa! Take the title.

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-01-2010, 05:29 AM
:zzz: rubbish from Tsonga and the semi will be boring aswel. Rafa gona win this ;)

NADALbULLS
04-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Best ball-girls ever tonight.

tea
04-01-2010, 06:05 AM
That was never in fucking doubt.:zzz: The better hardcourts player won. Why can't we entitle Rafinito already?:yawn:

Xristos
04-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Its safe to say Rafa is back!

HarryMan
04-01-2010, 06:17 AM
I don't know if Nadal will win this tournament, however, watching him play like he just did, I am almost certain he is about to demolish everyone on the red dirts this season.

HKz
04-01-2010, 06:42 AM
Holy crap, finally lets just get this Soderling vs Nadal final over with. Hopefully Nadal won't mentally "accidentally" fail again against a big server in the semifinal.

Ouragan
04-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Tsonga just another choking Frenchie...ah, mes amis, why??

brent-o
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Wow, shocked by the scoreline. Rafa looking more confident.

brent-o
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Has Nadal won Miami before? He should be close to completing the Masters collection, right?

Serenidad
04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Tsonga only 5 games from a Bacon on hardcourt. :spit: Where the hell is Del Potro when you need him, he is always hungry for ham, bacon, and ribs.

madmax
04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
no worries, SoderKing will be more than happy to supply everyone some roasted ribs in the final:banana:

Puschkin
04-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Thrilling stuff from Rafa tonight. He stayed at the baseline rather than behind it and within it to return many of Tsonga's shots. He got more free points off his serve than I've seen in a long time, and he was highly successful when he came to net.

Tsonga disagrees with you:

«Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, avez-vous été impressionné par le niveau de jeu de Nadal ?
Non, je n'ai pas été impressionné. Il est constant, il joue toujours de la même façon. On sait qu'il court partout et qu'il remet tout ce qu'il peut.

Source and full interview: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100401_085847_tsonga-joue-de-mieux-en-mieux.html

Translation:

Question: JWT, have you been impressed by Nadal's level of play?
"no, I have not been impressed. He is steady, he always plays the same way, it is knwon that he runs every where and that he brings everything back."

The guy really needs a reality check!

tennizen
04-01-2010, 08:45 AM

:bigcry::hug::kiss:

ossie
04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
cant wait for the soderling rematch (lets hope toad doesnt lose to berdych/verdasco :rolleyes: )

jonas
04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Anyone rooting for Nadal - Soderling in the final?

Guy Haines
04-01-2010, 08:48 AM

Non, je n'ai pas été impressionné. Il est constant, il joue toujours de la même façon. On sait qu'il court partout et qu'il remet tout ce qu'il peut.

Source and full interview: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100401_085847_tsonga-joue-de-mieux-en-mieux.html

Translation:

"no, I have not been impressed. He is steady, he always plays the same way, it is knwon that he runs every where and that he brings everything back."

What a tool.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Good for the knees :yeah: :devil: :devil:

Jo, you're a mug but I love you for not sucking up at Rafa's cock :yeah:, unlike most players :rolleyes:

Guy Haines
04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Good for the knees :yeah: :devil: :devil:

Jo, you're a mug but I love you for not sucking up at Rafa's cock :yeah:, unlike most players :rolleyes:

He embarasses himself. And the match is further proof of his immaturity.

ossie
04-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Anyone rooting for Nadal - Soderling in the final?

:rocker2:

simplet
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Nice interview from Tsonga in L'equipe, showing that he still doesn't get it. "I just need a little spark, so I can convert my opportunities".

No Tsonga, you don't need no fucking spark, you need to play with a brain, be steady, and stop getting frustrated every time you miss a chance and spend the rest of the match sulking, gifting two breaks each set to your opponent.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
He embarasses himself.

Why? Because he doesn't think Nadal is next to God?

get a grip you fanboy :rolleyes: :retard:

Guy Haines
04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Why? Because he doesn't think Nadal is next to God?

get a grip you fanboy :rolleyes: :retard:

:hearts::kiss::hearts:Oh boo hoo, you're calling me a fanboy and a retard.

Let me explain it to you.

Saying a player who just beat you 3 and 2 isn't that good makes you seem worse.

Memo to ATP: All you have to do to win twice as many games as Tsonga is run around a bit and get the ball back.

Jade Fox
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
I got the semi final that I wanted?

What the fuck? That NEVER happens.

Good job Rafa! Keep this up and you might be out of the Brotherhood soon. :cool:

tea
04-01-2010, 09:54 AM

That's the right attitude!:yeah: Do him a Melbourne next time, Jo.

Il Primo Uomo
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Ol' skool BEATDOWN!

Nadal was wicked, very entertaining match! Hum Tsonga what's up with your mentality these days? I mean homeboy doesn't beat anyone relevant for like forever, he better step his game up before it's too late.

moon language
04-01-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know if Nadal will win this tournament, however, watching him play like he just did, I am almost certain he is about to demolish everyone on the red dirts this season.

word to your mom.

Bashak
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Here's a more complete version of the L'équipe intvw:

-Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, avez-vous été impressionné par le niveau de jeu de Nadal ?
"Non, je n'ai pas été impressionné. Il est constant, il joue toujours de la même façon. On sait qu'il court partout et qu'il remet tout ce qu'il peut. Il est N.4 mondial, il a été N.1 mondial, c'est le joueur qu'on retrouve toujours en demi ou en finale d'un tournoi. C'est un gros et contre lui il ne faut rien rater. C'est moi qui n'ai pas été très bon, la prochaine fois il faudra que je sois meilleur.

-Were you impressed by Nadal's level of play?
"No, I wasn't impressed. He's constant, He always plays the same way. He runs everywhere and sends back everything that he can. He is number 4 in the world, he was number 1. He's a player we always see in the semis or the final of a tournament. He's big and against him we shouldn't make mistakes. It was me who wasn't very good. Next time I have to be better."

Doesn't sound that arrogant now, does it?

leng jai
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Well unless you had a fetish for moonballs or big arms its hard to be impressed by Nadull.

JolánGagó
04-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Clownga :haha:

Hatas :haha: :haha:

Bamos Rafa!!! :rocker2:

lazybear
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM

I thought he was back in Doha. Great match from Nadal, his first serving game showed you everything about him, why is he so great, and why he's his own enemy. He'll never learn (or will have the ability), but that's who he is, that's how he can win, and i can see why many likes him for that, even though i'm not among them. He's probably the brightest falling star that sport ever seen. Jo started out really, really well, i think he didn't even have an unforced error until 3-3... He can't let that thing into his head. It is what it is, umpires doesn't care about this rule, you just gotta let it go if you play against Nadal, and not lose your calm. I don't think Roddick has a chance to be honest, but i'll root for him.

duong
04-01-2010, 11:14 AM

No he's still far from his best, not able to retrieve long quick balls, esp on his backhand, makes an abnormal number of unforced errors or shanks.

At his current level, he would be destroyed by Söderling or Davydenko on hard courts. Esp on day session and without wind.

You can quote me as it might well be a Söderling vs Nadal final and it would be day session : only wind could save Nadal ;)

But if Roddick stays calm, he can really beat Nadal. Unfortunately he will play in night session, which will take from him his main weapon (his serve). But he's still able to do it.

I thought he was back in Doha.

Nadal played better in Doha. He had prepared longer during winter pause and he was in full condition. Davydenko really had to play a huge huge match to beat him. I don't think one needs such a level to beat him this time, as he's not at the same level.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 11:20 AM
I guess those knees aren't as destroyed as some seem to think :shrug:

Can't wait to read with what excuses will the tards come up when Rafa gets his arse spanked on clay... You can't win Miami and 2 weeks later claim your knees are destroyed. :o

Just like heaven
04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess those knees aren't as destroyed as some seem to think :shrug:

Can't wait to read with what excuses will the tards come up when Rafa gets his arse spanked on clay... You can't win Miami and 2 weeks later claim your knees are destroyed. :o

Get a life.

Vida
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
haha! must watch rerun of this. rafa :yeah:

Lopez
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
:hearts::kiss::hearts:Oh boo hoo, you're calling me a fanboy and a retard.

Let me explain it to you.

Memo to ATP: All you have to do to win twice as many games as Tsonga is run around a bit and get the ball back.

It's not like Tsonga is the only one sour after a loss.

"I play short, no?". But since Nadal is the definition of humility, that comment is taken out of context and doesn't mean what it implies :lol: ;) ?

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:11 PM

He didn't say Nadal wasn't "that good", only that he was nothing exceptionnal, Jo knows that when he's off it doesn't take a GOATesque performance to beat him 3 and 2 :shrug:

Of course, the fanboys would expect everyone to always suck on Rafa's greatness :awww: :hug:

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:13 PM

"I play short, no?". But since Nadal is the definition of humility, that comment is taken out of context and doesn't mean what it implies :lol: ;) ?

Rafa's English isn't that good, that is all :shrug:

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Rafa's English isn't that good, that is all :shrug:

Your signature is beyond disgraceful.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Your signature is beyond disgraceful.

Really? I only read 2 common names :confused: I guess I missed something :shrug: :o

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Really? I only read 2 common names :confused: I guess I missed something :shrug: :o

Don't talk as if everyone here was stupid.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Don't talk as if everyone here was stupid.

Don't be paranoid either :shrug: :hug: :hug:

Puschkin
04-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Jo knows that when he's off it doesn't take a GOATesque performance to beat him 3 and 2 :shrug:

That was a sudden switch of form then, the day before he sounded like this:

Je me sens vraiment bien en ce moment, apprécie-t-il. Mon jeu est de plus en plus en place. C’est bien d’avoir passer cette étape avant les choses vraiment sérieuses. Tous les ingrédients sont réunis pour faire un bon quart de finale.

I feel really good at the moment.... My game is more and more in place. It is good to have reached this stage ( i. e. QF) before the really serious things. All ingredients are there for a good QF.

source: http://www.rmc.fr/editorial/106902/tsonga-fonce-en-quarts/

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:28 PM

Je me sens vraiment bien en ce moment, apprécie-t-il. Mon jeu est de plus en plus en place. C’est bien d’avoir passer cette étape avant les choses vraiment sérieuses. Tous les ingrédients sont réunis pour faire un bon quart de finale.

I feel really good at the moment.... My game is more and more in place. It is good to have reached this stage ( i. e. QF) before the really serious things. All ingredients are there for a good QF.

You can feel good today and bad tomorrow. That's how life goes sometimes :shrug: nothing's written in stone actually.

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Don't be paranoid either :shrug: :hug: :hug:

Wow, and I thought you couldn't get any more pathetic...

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, and I thought you couldn't get any more pathetic...

I'm actually gladly surprised you didn't call me a xenophobe for that, you labelled me as such for far less in a recent past :shrug: :hug:

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm actually gladly surprised you didn't call me a xenophobe for that, you labelled me as such for far less in a recent past :shrug: :hug:

You label yourself these days, no need for anyone else to point out the obvious. :)

gorgo1986
04-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Does anyone have the statistics from yesterday, Nadal must have had at least 25/30 winners. Not bad for a pusher I guess. I can't wait till he dismantles Soderling in the final and all the haters go off to hide. What I loved most about Nadal yesterday is that he seemed to have his confidence back and that is major.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:35 PM
You label yourself these days, no need for anyone else to point out the obvious. :)

Strangely enough you're the only one to call me a racist actually :confused: I guess the other posters can't spot the obvious as well as you do :shrug:

duong
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Tsonga played well in this tournament, and you could see it in the first games.

Only that he got upset and precipitated as he often does, to handle the match to Nadal.

As for Nadal's level of play, and as I know that many ones here only believe in results and figures to judge a player's level rather than watching his game, I remember this stat on TV after a very few games :

Unforced errors Nadal 10 Tsonga 1

if you can't just watch the game from yourself, maybe a written figure will help :shrug:

Nadal was great in Doha, he's not back to this level yet.

StevoTG
04-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Great stuff Rafa! Looking forward to watching Nadal-Roddick :)

gorgo1986
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Tsonga played well in this tournament, and you could see it in the first games.

Only that he got upset and precipitated as he often does, to handle the match to Nadal.

As for Nadal's level of play, and as I know that many ones here only believe in results and figures to judge a player's level rather than watching his game, I remember this stat on TV after a very few games :

if you can't just watch the game from yourself, maybe a written figure will help :shrug:

Nadal was great in Doha, he's not back to this level yet.

Yeah however you failed to mention that Nadal had twice as many winners as Tsonga:wavey:

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Strangely enough you're the only one to call me a racist actually :confused:

Oh poor boy... if only you knew...

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:44 PM
if only you knew...

:lol: you mean those you PMed to bitch about me? Actually I got some PMs from your old friend Nadine saying you were completely :cuckoo: on the matter :shrug:

:awww: :hug:

duong
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Yeah however you failed to mention that Nadal had twice as many winners as Tsonga:wavey:

I don't think so at all : it was the beginning of the match and mostly Nadal had made some good serves.

MAybe he had 4 winners to 2, it's possible, but not more than that.

Anyway, I don't say that to be unfair : at the moment when I saw that stat, TV only showed that one, as it was after one more error.

Anyway, I've read a Nadal's fan elsewhere arguing that he makes more unforced errors because he attacks more ... but actually many of the errors he makes are on spinned shots, not flat ones.

A "best-form" Nadal wouldn't make these ... which actually cost him the match against Ljubicic together with Ljubicic's serve.

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 12:53 PM
:lol: you mean those you PMed to bitch about me? Actually I got some PMs from your old friend Nadine saying you were completely :cuckoo: on the matter :shrug:

:awww: :hug:

lol, I never PM'd anyone about you.

luie
04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Good to see nadull cheating again & the umpire doing nothing as usual,Nadull was being pushed around in the early stages of the match & took more than the alloted time between points to "catch his breath" as the commentators stated.Rafa is a cheater end of story. With all the running rafa does if he plays fair he will not win many matches.
Even Tsonga was tired of nadull cheating reported to the umpire but to no avail.

gorgo1986
04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Good to see nadull cheating again & the umpire doing nothing as usual,Nadull was being pushed around in the early stages of the match & took more than the alloted time between points to "catch his breath" as the commentators stated.Rafa is a cheater end of story. With all the running rafa does if he plays fair he will not win many matches.
Even Tsonga was tired of nadull cheating reported to the umpire but to no avail.

I love it people are calling Rafa a cheater, a pusher, etc. must mean he is kicking ass again.:devil:
I love it when the haters come out to play, keep going Rafa. :p

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM
lol, I never PM'd anyone about you.

lol sure...

Har-Tru
04-01-2010, 01:04 PM
lol sure...

Not everyone is like you.

MariaV
04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Instead of bickering, could anyone tell me who the umpire of this match was? Thank you in advance. :hatoff:

Bazooka
04-01-2010, 01:29 PM
To everybody saying Rafa didn't play well: he did. He is no longer 18, has lost some steam after six intense years, and other players know him too well (obvious in the first 6 games versus Tsonga, those heavy balls to his BH caused 10 UEs), so things have changed. In this new scenario, he's doing well, I say.

A year ago Fed was smashing a racket here, remember? he also had lost some of its game and finally accepted it, adjusted his game to his new level and found out it was still enough to win most matches. Rafa will do the same, and in fact is doing it pretty well, even in his "worst" his AMS results right now are incredibly consistent, with his worst result in 12 months being a QF lost to Delpo.

Juanes
04-01-2010, 01:36 PM
wow.... nice score Rafa :yeah:

Aaric
04-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Well done :yeah:

rocketassist
04-01-2010, 01:43 PM

Translation:

Why? He's spot on. :shrug:

duong
04-01-2010, 01:51 PM
To everybody saying Rafa didn't play well: he did. He is no longer 18, has lost some steam after six intense years, and other players know him too well (obvious in the first 6 games versus Tsonga, those heavy balls to his BH caused 10 UEs), so things have changed. In this new scenario, he's doing well, I say.

A year ago Fed was smashing a racket here, remember? he also had lost some of its game and finally accepted it, adjusted his game to his new level and found out it was still enough to win most matches. Rafa will do the same, and in fact is doing it pretty well, even in his "worst" his AMS results right now are incredibly consistent, with his worst result in 12 months being a QF lost to Delpo.

actually you quite confirm what I meant :shrug:

Anyway, I think he can still play far better than that, as I thought he was in great form in Doha.

But saying he played great as some do, just because Tsonga precipitated and played awful unforced errors :shrug:

Anybody knows the answer to Maria_V's question ? What was the name of the umpire (who actually said to Tsonga that if Nadal took time to serve it was because of the crowd :rolleyes: : Tsonga had better peeed in a violin than talk to him :lol: ) ?

l_mac
04-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Tsonga's solitary win over Rafa looks more and more like a complete fluke every match they play.

:D

Rafa :yeah:

Tsonga :spit:

Haters :spit: :haha: :hug:

Mjau!
04-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm surprised that so many people think Nadal played great today. Granted, I didn't watch the second set but he really wasn't impressive in the first anyway. Lots of backhand UE's and really struggled to hold serve vs a poor returner only to be gifted a couple of breaks.

Howard
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Well hell. I thought MTF had Nadal dead and buried. The nerve of him making us look a bunch of trigger-happy idiots.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Well hell. I thought MTF had Nadal dead and buried.

The kid just won a quarter final, he's definitely back on track and winning both RG and Wimbledon should be a mere formality :yeah:

cmorais24
04-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Do you have information about Winners and Unforced Errors stats? Thanks.

jonas
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Congrats Rafa. Didn't see the match, but surprisingly easy. A Nadal – Soderling final would be :drool:

samanosuke
04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Clownga :wavey:

Voo de Mar
04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Nadal played an excellent match, his best performance since Indian Wells 2009.

duong
04-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Nadal played an excellent match, his best performance since Indian Wells 2009.

as usual, I disagree with you : not surprised at all :rolleyes:

Voo de Mar
04-01-2010, 04:10 PM
as usual, I disagree with you : not surprised at all :rolleyes:

Do you think he beat Tsonga because the Frenchman was weak last night?

Fiberlight1
04-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised that so many people think Nadal played great today. Granted, I didn't watch the second set but he really wasn't impressive in the first anyway. Lots of backhand UE's and really struggled to hold serve vs a poor returner only to be gifted a couple of breaks.

So you saw half of the match..

The second set was where he actually poured it on Tsonga.. Alot less UE's and more errors.. although Tsonga did have some chances to convert.

duong
04-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Do you think he beat Tsonga because the Frenchman was weak last night?

yes, my full analysis is in the thread "Nadal vs Tsonga on hard courts at their best" (please note that I think that Tsonga was in good form this week, but he just completely missed his match for the reasons I gave in that thread)

Anyway, your opinion sounds very very strange to me, considering that you include last year's clay season.

If you're ever interested in my opinion, I think Nadal's best since last year's clay season was reached in Doha.

Imo Nadal in last two tournaments has not been as good as the one in Doha. If he plays like last matches, I think he would be destroyed by Söderling, except if there's a lot of wind of course. When the ball is quick and long enough, he’s taken by the speed, he was quicker in Doha. He makes an abnormal number of unforced errors, even on shots played with spin, his « normal shots ».

But well, he's coming back from injury, he can still improve for clay season of course :shrug:

duong
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
So you saw half of the match..

The second set was where he actually poured it on Tsonga.. Alot less UE's and more errors.. although Tsonga did have some chances to convert.

Tsonga was out of the match at that moment, he actually gave Nadal some chances for forehand passing-shots, which is obviously the best way to let Nadal look "brilliant".

His forehand passing-shot has always been a beast, even in Indian Wells it was great.

bokehlicious
04-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Zero Grand Slams in 27 years :lol:

How many for Chile? :o

Voo de Mar
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM
yes, my full analysis is in the thread "Nadal vs Tsonga on hard courts at their best" (please note that I think that Tsonga was in good form this week, but he just completely missed his match for the reasons I gave in that thread)

Anyway, your opinion sounds very very strange to me, considering that you include last year's clay season.

If you're ever interested in my opinion, I think Nadal's best since last year's clay season was reached in Doha.

To be precise: I didn't mean his clay-court season last year because IMO there're two Nadals "clay-court Nadal" and "Nadal on other surfaces".

I didn't see him in Doha (albeit I've got his final on DVD, maybe will show that match someday) but who were his opponents there? Bolelli, Starace, Darcis, Troicki - tennis third league. I don't take them seriously when they play against Top 5.

Guy Haines
04-01-2010, 05:04 PM
He didn't say Nadal wasn't "that good", only that he was nothing exceptionnal, Jo knows that when he's off it doesn't take a GOATesque performance to beat him 3 and 2 :shrug:

Of course, the fanboys would expect everyone to always suck on Rafa's greatness :awww: :hug:

You're in a sour mood. And maybe you should take a look in the mirror before throwing 'fanboy' around every third word. Seriously, lighten up.

The funny thing is this, what I'm saying has nothing to do with Nadal. JW can call him Nadull for all I care.

JW is a tool because he remains clueless and unsporting instead of learning anything. His comments make him look mediocre.

That's why he's the player he is, too. When he had his breakthrough at the Australian it seemed like he could be the future. But he got lost in showboat gestures and his ego. A lot more reasoning and a little less preening and playing to the crowd and pouting when things don't work out - that would help.

Guy Haines
04-01-2010, 05:14 PM

Horrors.

Hitting short is something Nadal does. He has his own issues re: what he says after a loss. But you'll get more simple truth and analysis from him than from the likes of Tsonga. The only player who pieces through points or even shots in a Q&A more thoroughly is Federer.

tangerine_dream
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM

Translation:

How can somebody so likable also be such a whining bitch?

duong
04-01-2010, 05:24 PM
To be precise: I didn't mean his clay-court season last year because IMO there're two Nadals "clay-court Nadal" and "Nadal on other surfaces".

I didn't see him in Doha (albeit I've got his final on DVD, maybe will show that match someday) but who were his opponents there? Bolelli, Starace, Darcis, Troicki - tennis third league. I don't take them seriously when they play against Top 5.

he played a huge Davydenko in the final, not far from being the best match of the year so far imo.

And I include Abu Dhabi exhibition previous week where he beat a good Söderling (who had dominated Federer previous match) (and Ferrer).

If you want to see two good matches from Nadal this year, look Nadal vs Davydenko in Doha and Nadal vs Söderling in Abu Dhabi imo.

At this moment I really believed he could have a great season.

He had obviously prepared great during off-season.

But he made more UEs in Australia, he lost to an on fire and lucky Murray and he got injured. It's only his second tournament since staying at home for injury.

As for Tsonga yesterday, he made more UEs than an usual Troicki :lol: . For people who are impressed by names more than by games, actually Tsonga is the only top-10 player Nadal has beaten for long, Nadal beat him in two easy sets in Paris, just after playing two awful matches against Almagro and Robredo, and just before being crushed against Djokovic (his best match of the week yet ;) ) and next matches being his three poor matches in Masters Cup.

Everko
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Domination from raging bull. Tsonga was left in the trampled wake

Voo de Mar
04-01-2010, 05:29 PM
he played a huge Davydenko in the final, not far from being the best match of the year so far imo.

And I include Abu Dhabi exhibition previous week where he beat a good Söderling (who had dominated Federer previous match) (and Ferrer).

If you want to see two good matches from Nadal this year, look Nadal vs Davydenko in Doha and Nadal vs Söderling in Abu Dhabi imo.

Do you treat exhibition events seriously? :o Ok, I'm not saying players couldn't care less in those tournaments but I'm afraid it's an exaggeration to draw conclusion about players' form looking at those events. In Doha he lost his final. So, maybe he was amazing in the first set but in tennis you've to win at least 2 sets during a match :shrug:

duong
04-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Do you treat exhibition events seriously? :o

it was a good match :shrug:

Ok, I'm not saying players couldn't care less in those tournaments but I'm afraid it's an exaggeration to draw conclusion about players' form looking at those events. In Doha he lost his final. So, maybe he was amazing in the first set but in tennis you've to win at least 2 sets during a match :shrug:

I think the game says more than the names and result :shrug:

Anyway, if I take your words, do you consider a match against Tsonga on the same level as a match against the Masters Cup winner ?

Frankly speaking, it was a huge huge Davydenko, even in Masters Cup he's not played as well I think.

If Nadal is crushed by Söderling on sunday, or beaten by Roddick tomorrow will you say "oh gosh why did he play so badly, he had beaten the GREAT TSONGA before" ?

Vida
04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
rafa figured out tsonga and adapted like a champ should do :bowdown:

cobalt60
04-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Nadal is winning Miami this year