Do people actually still hate Hewitt? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do people actually still hate Hewitt?

Matchu
03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
I remember a time when lots of people hated Lleyton, it was like they would prefer anyone else win but him. Not so much anymore though, is it just because he is no longer a big player? or do people still genuinely hate him?

Dmitry Verdasco
03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Some bitter Blake fans hanging on to that racist crap I guess, just because Hewitt isn't completely done yet and their boy is. :sad:

Kolya
03-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Hell yes.

My number 1 hated sportsperson.

Sorry.

samanosuke
03-31-2010, 12:20 PM
yes

coonster14
03-31-2010, 12:31 PM
never really hated him, just wasnt ever a fan of his in the first place, even though im an aussie.
guess u can say im indifferent towards lleyton.

MacTheKnife
03-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I never hated hewitt. But I have noticed that I have this tendency to like guys more as they age, hang around, and keep fighting and finding ways to improve their games.

Certinfy
03-31-2010, 12:52 PM
I've never hated him, can't say I'm a fan, but I don't hate him.

lazybear
03-31-2010, 12:53 PM
I gotta admit, i hated him. And if i think about it... The reason why he doesn't really boil my blood for a while now, is probably because he's not that succesfull anymore. Or i became a better human being. :D

Chiakifug
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Kim fans.

scarecrows
03-31-2010, 01:04 PM
yup, still a cock he is

born_on_clay
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Why should I hate Lleyton ?
I like him :)

Hewitt =Legend
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM
The Hewitt off the court is very different to the one on it. Even so he has toned down the antics as he has matured.

thrust
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

Same here, he could be annoying at times but he always tried hard to win. He is an admirable overachiever, IMO.

kindling
03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah, he's kinda irrelevant nowadays, with the injuries, poor performances, etc.

thrust
03-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I gotta admit, i hated him. And if i think about it... The reason why he doesn't really boil my blood for a while now, is probably because he's not that succesfull anymore. Or i became a better human being. :D

No doubt the latter-LOL!!

RogerExpress
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I hated him when he was number 1, but now I support him except when he plays against my favourite players

Doomach777
03-31-2010, 02:21 PM
yes

fabolous
03-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah, he's kinda irrelevant nowadays, with the injuries, poor performances, etc.
you know that a player is really finished when his haters are gone.

ad-out
03-31-2010, 03:06 PM
I have always liked him. :shrug:

gorgo1986
03-31-2010, 03:13 PM
I never hated him, I could not possibly hate any player. I do not see how its possible to hate someone you don't even really know. That is pathetic in itself. I can say I wasn't really a fan of Hewitt but as the years have passed by he has really matured as a player and I can say I genuinely like him and root for him to do well. There is a lot of respect I have for him and what he has accomplished as a professional tennis player.

I have actually met Lleyton a few years back at a tournament and he is a really nice guy off court.

Geo
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I never hated him since I think it's silly to hate people you don't even know. I wasn't ever a Hewitt fan though, and I always thought he was kind of a jerk :lol: There were many on-court moments when he embarrassed himself with poor behavior. That said, he has become more tolerable as he got older, got married and became a father. This doesn't mean I'll forget how he behaved in the past, but it's good to see he's changed somewhat :shrug:

Would I like to see him back in the mix with the top players? Yes. Even though I'm not a fan, I always want the best guys all healthy and in good form :)

moonlightdance
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
i used to feel very 'guillermo coria' about hewitt but the last few yrs lleyton's demeanor has definitely mellowed and now i don't mind him so much. sometimes i even smile when he wins. huge change in my own attitude. maybe i've matured as he has :)

MrChopin
03-31-2010, 05:16 PM
yes

star
03-31-2010, 05:32 PM
I never hated him, I could not possibly hate any player. I do not see how its possible to hate someone you don't even really know. That is pathetic in itself. I can say I wasn't really a fan of Hewitt but as the years have passed by he has really matured as a player and I can say I genuinely like him and root for him to do well. There is a lot of respect I have for him and what he has accomplished as a professional tennis player.

I have actually met Lleyton a few years back at a tournament and he is a really nice guy off court.

Lleyton is a very good guy.

I think there are times when he made poor judgments, but mostly what people didn't like about him on this board was that he was deemed untalented and beat players deemed more talented. :)

Brick Top
03-31-2010, 06:49 PM
nope...not at all!

DartMarcus
03-31-2010, 06:57 PM
I used to dislike him but now he is one of my faves.

Arkulari
03-31-2010, 06:59 PM

this

Everko
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I do

Arkulari
03-31-2010, 07:01 PM
:speakles:

rocketassist
03-31-2010, 07:41 PM
He was brash and in-your-face and I loved seeing him lose once, but he's actually not a bad guy and a great champion.

Goldenoldie
03-31-2010, 07:46 PM
I agree that as players get older they are less hated, and this probably applies to Hewitt.

Hell, I used to dislike Johnny Mac, but now he's one of my favourites.

fred perry
03-31-2010, 09:27 PM
yes but it's just not the same when he is injured and NOT losing matches.

Acer
03-31-2010, 09:48 PM
Lleyton :worship:

KarlyM
03-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I never outright hated him, but for a number of years on and off (around 2001-05) I thought he was an a$$hole. But as he's gotten older, he's matured and I became a fan. :)

Some bitter Blake fans hanging on to that racist crap I guess, just because Hewitt isn't completely done yet and their boy is. :sad: Not me, I'm WAY over that. :lol: My reason for thinking Hewitt was an a$$hole wasn't just because of that, but more for a combination of things. I don't think I held that incident against him for very long.

Federerhingis
04-01-2010, 04:41 AM
I wouldn't say Hewitt continues to be hated, rather he will remain disliked for his past behavior and actions, sometimes characters such as Hewitt with strong personalities aren't well perceived or liked. I happen to usually not like players that are too in your face, however Hewitt was the exception.

HKz
04-01-2010, 06:14 AM
I've always liked Hewitt, never ever disliked him. I think he took a lot of the blow for our sport for being a top player playing with a lot of emotion and intensity. Because before Hewitt, Connors/McEnroe were arguably the only top players that showed much of their emotions on court. But Hewitt took it to a new level with his fist pumps, and "come ons" and loud outbursts - everyone practically in the media freaked out calling him unsportsmanlike and players disliked him for being like this on court or whatnot. Then you look at the game now, and I think it shows that he has really been an influence to many of the players. I know Federer/Nadal have cited him as an influence and I'm quite sure many other players would as well, but just probably don't yet since Lleyton is still a full-time pro. I know personally Lleyton's intensity has been an influence on me.

But since getting injured so much, not having as much success on the tour and getting married/having 2 kids, I think he has naturally had to tone it down a bit.

Who cares about the Blake incident. People freak out and say the wrong things when they are full of emotion or whatever. Sure it plagued his career in a way and it wasn't the best situation, but I'm sure he and Blake are over it because whenever they play, they always tell each other "good shot mate" or "too good"

Navratil
04-01-2010, 07:26 AM
I never hated him! I love is fighting spirit and these "come ooooooonnnss"!

His game is not that spectacular but I like his style.

thalle
04-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Lleyton has been my fave since I started watching tennis. He's a great inspiration I feel like, and I find it amazing to watch a player give his all on the court, put his heart out there. Of course for some it's too much, but for those who appreciate a bit of feeling, Lleyton is incredible. I think he's a huge inspiration on the tenniscourt to my tennis as well as to my private life, always keep on fighting, beat those you are bigger and better and just hang in their and you'll do good.
I think this mentality is also a reason why he hasn't quitted yet despite of all his injuries. It's very appealing!

ossie
04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
if they think about him

leng jai
04-01-2010, 08:55 AM
At least he has ball unlike most of the clowns on tour.

legolandbridge
04-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I like Lleyton. He works hard and his pressers are usually insightful. Seems like a good guy, even if he was a little brash growing up.

JuliC
04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Lleyton has been my fave since I started watching tennis. He's a great inspiration I feel like, and I find it amazing to watch a player give his all on the court, put his heart out there. Of course for some it's too much, but for those who appreciate a bit of feeling, Lleyton is incredible. I think he's a huge inspiration on the tenniscourt to my tennis as well as to my private life, always keep on fighting, beat those you are bigger and better and just hang in their and you'll do good.
I think this mentality is also a reason why he hasn't quitted yet despite of all his injuries. It's very appealing!

My thoughts exactly! And I don't care if people can't stand him. I love his attitude. He may not win as many (big) matches as before, but what he's accomplished in his career is great. I'm very proud of him :)

Peta Pan
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Never liked him, never will!

Carlita
04-01-2010, 09:34 AM
He's not in my top fav list, but I've always admired his fighting spirit. I like the fact that he'll never give up, no matter is he's losing or not.....

so never hated him, never will ... :lol:

only thing that makes me nervous is his nervous behaviour during change overs.... adjusting cap, necklace..... other than that he's :yeah:

CmonAussie
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
CMON ROCKY LLEGS~~ a true inspiration for his fighting spirit..!!