Miami R4: Nadal Edges Ferrer 7-6(5) 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami R4: Nadal Edges Ferrer 7-6(5) 6-4

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Ferrer fought as expected..nothing special from nadal but got the job done. Ferrer did well to break rafa at 3-0. repeat of 2008 aus open final with tsonga next :worship:

Midnight Ninja
03-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I posted this in the livescore but I think its applicable here as well so:

I'm no Nadal fan so I do have a slight bias, but Nadal is really just pushing his merry way along the match. Gotta give him credit for his resilience though. I never really bought into all the hype but if he continues this way, he might win some tournaments this year (including GS) but I don't see him having a long career.

alter ego
03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Epic W/UE ratio

madmax
03-30-2010, 10:29 PM
NID:yawn: Ferrer pretended to give some resilience to his idol, yet was grateful enough to make some costly forehand CC errors, gifting the match to his master...Tsonga will do the job though

l_mac
03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm no Nadal fan so I do have a slight bias,

:haha:

Ridiculous thread title. This wasn't close.

rocketassist
03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

moon language
03-30-2010, 10:32 PM
I'm no Nadal fan so I do have a slight bias, but Nadal is really just pushing his merry way along the match. Gotta give him credit for his resilience though. I never really bought into all the hype but if he continues this way, he might win some tournaments this year (including GS) but I don't see him having a long career.

Did this post arrive in a time machine from 2005?

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Mediocre match (the stats say it all, way more UEs than winners from both players :help:). Both players going through wobbly patches in concentration - some beautiful shots in a row followed by equally awful UEs all the time. Very uncharacteristic break-rebreaks of serve, both in the 1st and in the 2nd set by Rafa. He could have easily avoided having to play a TB in that first set.

Note to Rafa: don't go watching Fed's matches, dear - it's contagious. :o

Nadal, despite having his own bouts of loss of concentration & confidence, still appeared the better and more consistent player all during the match. Consistent enough at least to get the job done.
Congrats Rafa! :hatoff:

And eh... best of luck against Tsonga. Something tells me he's going to need it. :scared:

Midnight Ninja
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Did this post arrive in a time machine from 2005?

Well wasn't the main point about me never buying into the Nadals knees won't fade hype? He wasn't such a pusher last year and seeing as how his problems have been reoccurring this can't be a good thing.

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Well wasn't the main point about me never buying into the Nadals knees won't fade hype? He wasn't such a pusher last year and seeing as how his problems have been reoccurring this can't be a good thing.

There is nothing wrong with his knees right now (at least not that he's showing/telling). He claims he is happy and healthy and why not believe him for a change?
If anything, it's his confidence that needs a build-up. He's well on his way to do so, if he manages to get past Tsonga. (IF :scared:)

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-30-2010, 10:38 PM
There is nothing wrong with his knees right now (at least not that he's showing/telling). He claims he is happy and healthy and why not believe him for a change?
If anything, it's his confidence that needs a build-up. He's well on his way to do so, if he manages to get past Tsonga. (IF :scared:)

i got a good feeling hes gonna beat jo

moon language
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM

I don't see a lot of difference between the way he played today and his play of the last couple of years. The matchup dictates his play and in this case he was facing a guy who can similarly run everything down so the two end up neutralizing each other and grinding.

l_mac
03-30-2010, 10:40 PM

He took a pill at a changeover. Hopefully just for the tooth. His b/h was dreadful today.

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
He took a pill at a changeover. Hopefully just for the tooth. His b/h was dreadful today.

It wasn't just his backhand. ;)
Fortunately he still doesn't need to return serve with his teeth, no? :)

Cloudygirl
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
his backhand was dire.

moon language
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Some of those backhands were so short I couldn't tell if he was doing it on purpose.

Calidreth
03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Tennis lost . . . again

Mats68
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I agree. Worrying performance by Nadal, he got the job done, but he made a step backwards compared to how he was playing in IW. I hope it's just the tooth.

Midnight Ninja
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM

There is nothing wrong right now but I was talking more of long term. And I do agree that more than his game, its his confidence which is lacking. He really needs a title under his belt to get him back into the Slam winning position. The game will follow once his confidence kicks in.

I don't see a lot of difference between the way he played today and his play of the last couple of years. The matchup dictates his play and in this case he was facing a guy who can similarly run everything down so the two end up neutralizing each other and grinding.

You may be right about the matchup neutralizing the game but I think Nadal had made good strides towards being more aggressive in 2008-2009. It's only after he lost RG, his injury, that he has been a lot more passive like he used to be, especially in the crucial points.

scarecrows
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
solid win for the world no. 4

-Valhalla-
03-30-2010, 10:51 PM
The inexorable march toward Naderer continues ...

2010??

tangerine_dream
03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
No "destroys"?

lazybear
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Epic W/UE ratio

I can't watch those pictures. It keeps asking me to log in. Why is that? About the match. I only get to see the a couple of games, i went doing the dishes during the second set, at 4-4 0-15, Nadal serving. I had little to no doubt that the match will be over when i come back. Ferrer is far from his best, Nadal as well, but he still can find ways to win those matches, and DF was so inconsistent with his groundies. Jo-Nadal should be a good one.

marquez
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
:haha:

Ridiculous thread title. This wasn't close.

:lol: nice glasses you wear

moon language
03-30-2010, 10:56 PM
There is nothing wrong right now but I was talking more of long term. And I do agree that more than his game, its his confidence which is lacking. He really needs a title under his belt to get him back into the Slam winning position. The game will follow once his confidence kicks in.

You may be right about the matchup neutralizing the game but I think Nadal had made good strides towards being more aggressive in 2008-2009. It's only after he lost RG, his injury, that he has been a lot more passive especially in the crucial points.

Yes I agree with all of this. I don't think his overall play is different but definitely on the big points he's playing like he's afraid to lose rather than determined to win.

coonster14
03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
rafa lost in QF to delpo last year in miami IIRC?, sweet, he has already defended his points here. :)
anything that happens from here is just going to be a bonus, VAMOS RAFA!!! :D

Topspin Forehand
03-30-2010, 11:49 PM
Nice to see Nadal be clutch again. A big help to his confidence for the clay season.

freeandlonely
03-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Good, Ferrer is even boring than Nadull.

Arkulari
03-30-2010, 11:56 PM
The inexorable march toward Naderer continues ...

2010??

IF Roger makes it THAT far ;) :o

Persimmon
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Rafa :smash:

11 months without winning a title :o

HKz
03-30-2010, 11:59 PM
If Nadal doesn't step it up and Tsonga continues to play well, I feel an upset later. Kind of a similar situation looks like for Federer as well. They are both not playing particularly well and about to play a big hitter who is actually playing well.

Sunset of Age
03-31-2010, 12:02 AM
If Nadal doesn't step it up and Tsonga continues to play well, I feel an upset later. Kind of a similar situation looks like for Federer as well. They are both not playing particularly well and about to play a big hitter who is actually playing well.

My feelings exactly. It's about the same situation for the both of them. Nadal has Tsonga and Roddick coming up, Feds Berdych and Söderling.
Wonder if either of the two will survive to get to the final, with their subpar playing. Not much hopes about that happening, to be honest.

Mungo
03-31-2010, 02:18 AM
NID:yawn: Ferrer pretended to give some resilience to his idol, yet was grateful enough to make some costly forehand CC errors, gifting the match to his master...Tsonga will do the job though

Wrong post. Federer is Ferrer's idol.

Mimi
03-31-2010, 02:47 AM
the powerful Tsonga is coming?:bolt:

*Jean*
03-31-2010, 05:09 AM
David :sad:

NADALbULLS
03-31-2010, 05:50 AM
How many in a row has Nadal beat Tsonga now?

tea
03-31-2010, 05:57 AM
:zzz: Leave us alone. The only thread-worthy outcome could be Nadal won in 3.
Give the title to Rafito already, he's too good these days.:worship: That's perhaps 11 months of wait display in action.:D