Miami 4R: [13]Youzhny def. Fish 6-1, 1-0 ret. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami 4R: [13]Youzhny def. Fish 6-1, 1-0 ret.

Mario Sharapov
03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Into the QF Misha!! :banana:

Aenea
03-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Congrats, Misha!

What a great season so far :) good luck in the quarters.

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Great result for the Colonel! :bounce:
But it's always sad to see a player getting injured out there on court. Get well soon Fish! :hug:

TMJordan
03-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Fish was fine. Just getting his ass kicked.

FedererBulgaria
03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Once again LUCKY omg....now win the title....in the final 0-6 7-6 2-5 ret.

Aenea
03-30-2010, 07:21 PM

You are being cruel, Jordan :sad:
Fish took 3min medical time out, received treatment on his leg and was limping on court.

Doomach777
03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Lucky youzhny :S

DartMarcus
03-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Always bad when such a clown like Youzhny wins.
Poor Mardy. :sad: :hug:

timafi
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM

was thinking the same:shrug:

Luinir
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Youzhny spending a amazing year so far. I think his breaking point is, his first round match against Gasquet in the Australian Open. Youzhny still has injury problems, but i love him play this year. Top 10 is possible for him :worship:

oranges
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Mardy couldn't take the beating like a man? He'll be up and about in no time, doubles match if he plays one. Well done Colonel

Aenea
03-30-2010, 07:34 PM
Mardy couldn't take the beating like a man? He'll be up and about in no time, doubles match if he plays one. Well done Colonel
Mardy/Knowles lost to Youzhney/Andreev in rnd1.

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 07:35 PM

I wonder how many people have actually watched this match. He was limping and obviously in pain. I expected him to retire earlier than he did, at least he finished the first set!

roberthenman
03-30-2010, 07:37 PM
stupid Fish...why not retire with Leito or Andy? :sad:............

moon language
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I only saw a little of the match. Did Fish injure himself when he fell?

oranges
03-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I wonder how many people have actually watched this match. He was limping and obviously in pain. I expected him to retire earlier than he did, at least he finished the first set!

Well, he's not exactly stranger to a bit of gamesmanship. I'd wager a hefty sum he won't miss any tournaments. Sorry, I was not convinced :shrug:

Aenea
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, he's not exactly stranger to a bit of gamesmanship. I'd wager a hefty sum he won't miss any tournaments. Sorry, I was not convinced :shrug:

Maybe he will. Nobody is claiming he sustained a career threatening injury :rolleyes: after that hip injury he had before now he's more careful and doesn't want to risk

oranges
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe he will. Nobody is claiming he sustained a career threatening injury :rolleyes:

Well, since he's out of doubles, I can't bet on that one, but I would otherwise ;)

jcempire
03-30-2010, 07:52 PM

Looks like he have some problem .........

injury????????? probably

vn01
03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Poor Mardy,but nice Michail from the beginning of the season,so he deserves this QF

muniu
03-30-2010, 08:06 PM
well-done Mishka :woohoo:

Deboogle!.
03-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Well, he's not exactly stranger to a bit of gamesmanship. I'd wager a hefty sum he won't miss any tournaments. Sorry, I was not convinced :shrug:are you being serious? the guy's had two surgeries, plus a nearly career-ending hip injury. You really think he would fake it? It's not like he hasn't gotten his ass kicked before. I think if he can finish a match losing to leonardo mayer with a bagel, he can take losing to an astoundingly better player like a man too.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
are you being serious? the guy's had two surgeries, plus a nearly career-ending hip injury. You really think he would fake it? It's not like he hasn't gotten his ass kicked before. I think if he can finish a match losing to leonardo mayer with a bagel, he can take losing to an astoundingly better player like a man too.

yea mardys a good guy, he signs autographs 4 fans :D..i doubt he would have faked it

tedlesurfeur
03-30-2010, 08:55 PM
Always bad when such a clown like Youzhny wins.
Poor Mardy. :sad: :hug:

wow, it's not the first time you've vented out your hatred for Youzhny... we're getting tired of it :lol:

Misha's got a good shot at making it back into the top 10 this year !!! Aside from Munich's final, he doesn't have anything to defend until september...

dylan24
03-30-2010, 09:16 PM
so murray sucks this bad. to lose to an injured fish..

kindling
03-30-2010, 10:09 PM
dammit, hate to see Fish hurt when things were going well for him.

Caio_Brasil
03-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Too bad it ended this way for Fish, was expecting something like IW 08.

Good to see the Colonel in the quarters anyway.

Sunset of Age
03-31-2010, 12:44 AM
are you being serious? the guy's had two surgeries, plus a nearly career-ending hip injury. You really think he would fake it? It's not like he hasn't gotten his ass kicked before. I think if he can finish a match losing to leonardo mayer with a bagel, he can take losing to an astoundingly better player like a man too.

Well said. NO WAY Fish was faking it out there. From how he looked after his slip, I was surprised to see him finish that 1st set at all - truly miserable.
Give him an Oscar if he was indeed faking it. :rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
03-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Well said. NO WAY Fish was faking it out there. From how he looked after his slip, I was surprised to see him finish that 1st set at all - truly miserable.
Give him an Oscar if he was indeed faking it. :rolleyes:These are not the words of someone who was not in really bad pain:

Q. Just when things were going great.
MARDY FISH: Yeah.

Q. Can't get a break.
MARDY FISH: A little bit of bad luck obviously. I just fell right down on my sciatic nerve apparently. Lost feeling in my leg for about a minute, and then got it back at the changeover.
Didn't really even notice, and got it back on the changeover. Just excruciating pain. I mean, I was just doubled over. I couldn't hardly breathe.
They tried to loosen it up. I just thought it was like a bruise, and give me some hot cream and let's go.
I mean, I honestly thought it was just maybe take two games to get it back, because I was probably gonna lose that set anyway, and let's start going. Never loosened up.
I mean, just tightened up so much I could barely walk.

Q. How long do you think it'll keep you out?
MARDY FISH: I don't know. I mean, the smart guys will probably figure that out.

Q. Have you had sciatica or anything in the past? Nothing?
MARDY FISH: I don't think I've ever felt that much pain on a tennis court. I've had to retire a couple times for my ankle and my knee one time, but nothing like that.

Q. The pain, was it the in the hip? The back?
MARDY FISH: No, it was like my butt, but then it went all the way down into any calf. I mean, the whole thing.

Q. From here down...
MARDY FISH: Yeah, into my lower back as well.

Q. And what exactly was the motion you were doing when you fell down? Describe the fall.
MARDY FISH: I just slipped. I slipped and fell. I mean, thankfully I didn't I mean, I didn't brace myself at all you my wrist, otherwise it would be talking months instead of hopefully just a little bit of time off.
So, I mean, it was all my weight down. And I don't know. I've never done it before.

http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/News/Tennis/2010/Interview-Transcripts/Interview-Transcripts/Extra-Column/Mardy-Fish-Fourth-Round.aspx

Sunset of Age
03-31-2010, 01:08 AM
^^ Poor guy. Sounds BAD. Hope he gets well soon.

Ibracadabra
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
I didn't spot anything visible from the fall and after he lost the two points. If he was really injured he would have retired at the end of the 1st not right at the beginning of the 2nd.

NicolasKiefer44
03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Misha is every bit a top ten player with his current form. I look forward to his QF.

straitup
03-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Glad to see Youzhny playing well again! :)

Deboogle!.
03-31-2010, 02:12 AM
I didn't spot anything visible from the fall and after he lost the two points. If he was really injured he would have retired at the end of the 1st not right at the beginning of the 2nd.Did you read what he said? It's not that complicated; he was hopeful that it would loosen up (at the time, remember, he didn't know what it was at the time), so he played on with the hope that it would get better. Once it became clear that that wasn't happening, he retired. How does that prove he was not in pain? I know he's done some questionable things on court, but he hardly has a reputation for faking injuries :confused:

Ibracadabra
03-31-2010, 02:30 AM
I don't know, but surely if the injury came from the fall it would have been visible directly after but that wasn't the case, no limp or anything. I'm not calling him a cheat just abit strange.

Deboogle!.
03-31-2010, 02:37 AM
but he said it was originally numb, THEN after a couple games started hurting. Sounds pretty normal for a nerve thing. Nerve injuries can be pretty strange and also if not properly treated (or even sometimes if it is), they can cause permanent loss of feeling. So it seems perfectly normal that he would think it was maybe something else, play on for a bit to see if it can get any better, then once he realized it wasn't, to then quit.

Just because it doesn't follow the pattern of a muscle type injury doesn't mean it's strange. It sounds like what happened was a bit of a freak thing and probably he just hit something the wrong way and it will just need a little time to heal.