MIAMI 4th rnd : ALMAGRO def. BELLUCCI 6-4 3-6 7-6 (3) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MIAMI 4th rnd : ALMAGRO def. BELLUCCI 6-4 3-6 7-6 (3)

Doomach777
03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Thanks God!
Btw croud STFU next time. Almagro played rally of the match, and they were screaming and whistling :S

Smoke944
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Thomaz might have the worst volleys in the top-100.

Sjengster
03-30-2010, 05:56 PM
Hilarious celebration from Almagro when he got the break back in the decider, he's clearly attended the Tomas Berdych school of how to win over hostile crowds.

osalsyst
03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Bellucci was never winning that tiebreak. I don't really like Almagro but he is quite good in tight situations. I did appreciate the rather subdued celebration too.

croat123
roddick's draw gets better by the day

Sunset of Age
Awful crowd got what it deserved: an awful winner. Tennis loses. :(

Ilovetheblues_86
03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Awful crowd for non-brazilians off course hah

This match was good on the baseline...Thomaz had the edge but those volleys wont make him enter top 20 this year...

elessar
Mucho's a great winner, hilarious celebration of the break back. Crowd lapped it up :hearts:

Voo de Mar
Peacock out-moaned Giraffe :D Entertaining match after all.

l_mac
03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Sky are showing the game where Mugro got broken in the 2nd set with the tag "Worst game ever?"
:spit:

rocketassist
Almugro will choke against the first top player he plays.

Sjengster
Bellucci was never winning that tiebreak. I don't really like Almagro but he is quite good in tight situations. I did appreciate the rather subdued celebration too.

An awfully big call to make post-Bercy 09.

osalsyst
03-30-2010, 06:01 PM
roddick's draw gets better by the day

WTF? Sure he's had a pretty easy draw but Almagro is a much tougher opponent than Bellucci IMO.

l_mac
I don't really like Almagro but he is quite good in tight situations.

:lol: Depends who he is playing.

joxong
Thomaz might have the worst volleys in the top-100.

he sure does,his volleys are just awful and he needs to improve them quickly :(
interesting match with plenty of tense
congrats to nico :)

elessar
03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
The drop shots were quality too.

Sunset of Age
03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Awful crowd for non-brazilians off course hah

If I were a Brazilian, I'd feel ashamed of my countrymen for behaving like that. Whistling, yelling... at a certain point one of those guys even recieved a warning from the umpire. Horrid.

Voo de Mar
03-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Almagro used to be one of the biggest chokers, has improved in that department since last year. At the moment is really good in tie-breaks: 10-3 since Shanghai '09.

TennisOnWood
03-30-2010, 06:04 PM
What a match :worship::worship:

Sjengster
03-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Damian Steiner showed quick thinking by quieting the crowd in both Spanish and Portuguese, but then he is the man who managed to get the whole of Philip Chatrier booing him every time he opened his mouth for an entire set of Nadal-Grosjean back in 2005, so I suppose he's learnt it the hard way.

Certinfy
03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Entertaining match. Thomaz :bigcry: :sad: :(

FiBeR
03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
:barf:

GugaF1
03-30-2010, 06:10 PM
That is just the way a lot of Brazilians are in regards to sports. They treat almost everything as if it is a Football match. Is a cultural thing in sports for Brazilians.But I thought that in this conditions and we are talking about Miami, one of the most Latin tournaments around, it made an exciting athmosphere.

And Almagro won this one, but is clear that Bellucci has much more potential on the long run. He wasn't that good of a HC player to begin with and now is already doing well on this events against much more experienced opponents like Almagro. Bellucci's potential is quite high, his game has a lot of raw power and natural pace of ball. when he is on, is hard to see player having the edge on baseline rallys specially. It will be interesting seeing him on clay playing well. Top 20 is quite likely this year In my view..

Tutu
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Gutted, gutted, gutted. :bigcry: Thomaz just didn't play well but he still had chances and just couldn't put Almugro away. That crowd needed to shut the hell up, there were times where they were putting even Thomaz off by cheering before the point was even over.

Anyway, Thomaz clearly has a lot to work on after this match - namely first serve %, volleys and shot selection under pressure but he has a great future ahead of him and I look forward to him doing some major damage in the CC season. :bowdown:

stebs
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Disappointed to see Belluci lose this one but in the end Almagro was the better played and deserved it. Fun match to watch with fluctuations in quality, crowd involvement and lots of drama.

Machiavelli
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
That is just the way a lot of Brazilians are in regards to sports. They treat almost everything as if it is a Football match. Is a cultural thing in sports for Brazilians.But I thought that in this conditions and we are talking about Miami, one of the most Latin tournaments around, it made an exciting athmosphere.

And Almagro won this one, but is clear that Bellucci has much more potential on the long run. He wasn't that good of a HC player to begin with and now is already doing well on this events against much more experienced opponents like Almagro. Bellucci's potential is quite high, his game has a lot of raw power and natural pace of ball. when he is on, is hard to see player having the edge on baseline rallys specially. It will be interesting seeing him on clay playing well. Top 20 is quite likely this year In my view..

HUge potential, but no top20 with that kind of volleys and dreadful dropshots

Certinfy
03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I've seen Bellucci play quite a lot now, and sometimes his volleys are good, same with the dropshots :shrug:

osalsyst
03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
:lol: Depends who he is playing.

Yeah true

Tutu
03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
I've seen Bellucci play quite a lot now, and sometimes his volleys are good, same with the dropshots :shrug:

Yup, he just needs to become better under pressure. It's good that he is willing to show variety, on the days that he nails it he can be so good.

-Valhalla-
03-30-2010, 06:27 PM
This was an engrossing match with plenty of drama and emotion. Bells looked totally gassed and a bit nervous in the decider, but all credit to Almugro for hanging in there and enduring the wrath of the pro-Brazilian crowd. This was a very hostile environment that sounded more like a Davis Cup rubber in Sao Paulo than a R16 match in Miami. The crowd booed lustily at Almugro whenever he displayed any positive emotion and cheered wildly at his UE’s and service faults.

Poor Almugro ... "The Spaniard that Nobody Cares About" :tears:

GugaF1
03-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Like others Have said in some matches Bellucci has shown good Volleys skills. Is just that when he is in nervous situations and these types of matches he is not very used to it yet. The volleys are one of the first things to go for him. But when he is relaxed his volleys can be good actually.

And his serve % also, I think it was less than 40% on this match. And there are times when he serves at 80% of first serves. So I expect him to just keep on improving, specially on clay he is quite capable of already getting great results. The best Brazilian player since Kuerten without much of a doubt. Only behind a few like Meligeni, Oncins and Koch at this momment.

Michael Bluth
03-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I just realized Almagro has had better hard court results than clay this year.

FlameOn
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Boring match. Two extremely repetitive hitters. It was like watching Almagro (or for that matter Belluci) playing against a mirror. :zzz:

roberthenman
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Thomaz close :sad:

nice tournament :yeah:

samanosuke
03-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Almagro is becoming a mental giant

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-30-2010, 08:24 PM
damn how is Almagro winning so much on hardcourts:scratch:

Mateya
03-30-2010, 09:11 PM
Nice to see some mental power from Mugro :) Great tiebreak record lately...
You shouldn't be surprised by good performances on hard courts - he's not a tipical spanish claymug and has one of the best spanish and good looking serves on the tour. :cool: I'm imitating it this season, just not with the same effect :lol: Have maybe cracked 160km/h

Bellucci should be a great player someday, especialy on clay. :worship:

Pirata.
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
I think the Brasilians were really hungry for some revenge. I was at Nico's doubles match when he and Tommy played Melo/Soares and it was basically Brasil vs Spain and the Brasilians were heckling and insulting Nico and Tommy. I wandered in during the second set and made the mistake of sitting right in the middle of the Brasilian crowd. I was almost afraid to clap :lol:

Good win for Nico.

Chris Waddle
03-31-2010, 02:19 AM

I agree. I've also seen Bellucci a lot recently and his volley has been surprisingly good. Maybe tough conditions, or just a bad day...?