Best run by a qualifying draw wild card? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best run by a qualifying draw wild card?

n8
03-28-2010, 08:12 AM
Wild cards, qualifiers and even luck losers have won ATP tournaments, but what's the best result for a qualifying draw wild card?

The most famous tournament win by a wild card in recent times has to be Goran Ivanisevic at Wimbledon in 2001. Numerous players have won ATP events after qualifying, such as Benjamin Becker (‘s-Hertogenbosch), Thomaz Bellucci (Gstaad) and Sergiy Stakhovsky (St. Petersburg), all just last year. Lucky losers becoming tour level champions is rare, but it has happened. Sergiy Stakhovsky is again featured (Zagreb in 2008), along with Rajeev Ram (Newport 2009).

My question is: what is the best main draw result a qualifying draw wild card has achieved at ATP level? Just to be clear, I am talking about players that receive a wild card into qualifying, win some matches to qualify, then make a dent on the main draw.

Thanks.

Luinir
03-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Rajeev Ram was lucky loser in Newport 2009

Certinfy
03-28-2010, 09:35 AM
:haha: Rajeev Ram's run last year was epic, tanking the last round of Qualifying as well :yeah:

n8
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Rajeev Ram was lucky loser in Newport 2009

Thanks. I fixed up my opening post.

Zirconek
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Probably it was by a player who could have a direct acceptance in main draw but missed the deadline or just decided to play after the deadline and then received a WC to play qualies. I guess you want someone whose ranking was so low that couldn't even play qualies (and preferably not someone who was high ranked earlier and dropped in the rankings because of injury or lack of motivation, or even coming back from a retirement).

Frederick16
03-28-2010, 01:51 PM
was simon a q wc when he won casablanca??

Truc
03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
was simon a q wc when he won casablanca??No, he was a normal qualifier.

I guess it has to be in an event with a qualifying entry list because I don't see otherwise how a player who could have had a direct acceptance in main draw but missed the deadline would need a WC to play the qualies.

Action Jackson
03-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Tomic did it this year in the Burnie Challenger, yes the challenger part is the key thing here.

n8
03-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Probably it was by a player who could have a direct acceptance in main draw but missed the deadline or just decided to play after the deadline and then received a WC to play qualies. I guess you want someone whose ranking was so low that couldn't even play qualies (and preferably not someone who was high ranked earlier and dropped in the rankings because of injury or lack of motivation, or even coming back from a retirement).

Anyone would be good. Most good players coming back from injuries etc seem to get main draw wild cards anyway.

Tomic did it this year in the Burnie Challenger, yes the challenger part is the key thing here.

I was thinking of him too but it would be great to have an ATP example. I'm going to set the bench very low and say that Ryan Harrison made the 2nd round of the main draw of Houston in 2008 after receiving a qualifying draw wild card. Gasquet also made the 2nd round of Monte Carlo in 2002 as a qualifying wild card (also at 15 years old interestingly enough). Surely some qualifying wild card has made the third round of the main event?

PereRibaFan
03-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Gasquet had a WC at the Monte-Carlo qualifying in 2005 and then he reached the semifinals in the main draw.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2005/410/qs.pdf

n8
03-29-2010, 01:13 AM
Gasquet had a WC at the Monte-Carlo qualifying in 2005 and then he reached the semifinals in the main draw.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2005/410/qs.pdf

Awesome. Thanks!

-EDIT-

I just remembered that Gasquet beat Federer in the quarter-finals in that Monte Carlo run. Wouldn't it be funny if the only player to ever lose to a qualifying wild card in a tour level quarter-final happened to be the GOAT?