Bold prediction: Del Potro to be no.1 in 2011 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Bold prediction: Del Potro to be no.1 in 2011

Mungo
03-28-2010, 01:33 AM
Hi guys

I don't post a lot here but I am a good reader of these forums. So this is my first great thread :worship:
The way I see it, Del Potro will be no.1 next year.

He's already a major winner, he's progressed more than Murray, Djokovic or Nadal in the last year, and he beat Federer and Nadal in their last meetings showing nice mental strength. He represents the new era of power tennis. He's been struggling with injuries since January so he was in poor form in the AO and missed IW and Miami. But I think a healthy Del Potro will be scary, especially looking at how the other top players are performing:

Djokovic forgot to play aggressively and has become a grinder + mentally weak.

Murray didn't learn to play aggressively yet, he is the same player than 2 years ago, hasn't changed anything. He's being outpowered and losing too many matches.

Nadal struggling to reach his 2008-early 2009 game. Not as confident as before, making too many mistakes, his injuries are always a concern.

Federer, a great player in Slams but too inconsistent the rest of the year + he will be 30 in 2011.

So I see Del Potro being no. 1 in 2011 barring injury :hatoff:

emotion
03-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Barring injury is saying a lot for delPo

Midnight Ninja
03-28-2010, 01:45 AM
I don't really see how that is a bold prediction.

Even apart from injuries, Del Potro will have to hold up against the others. People are underestimating Murray and Djokovic too much for just a few months. They may not get over it but they also might just. Then you have Cilic who's slowly climbing the rankings.

Finally, Nadal and Federer aren't just going to give up their ranking spots so easily. Federer was keen on keeping #1 at the WTF and has said so numerous times. (even though his MS results are :retard: )

marcRD
03-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Nalbandian will be, if he wins against Nadal tomorrow.

tea
03-28-2010, 02:25 AM
So this is my first great thread :worship:
Don't go this far rating yourself.:D

Think about another bold prediction before we accept you into this zoo forum.:wavey:

Persimmon
03-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Del Potro is super injury prone. If he ever reaches #1 it will be for a VERY short time. Like a couple of months. Even shorter than the period Nadal was #1.

kindling
03-28-2010, 02:37 AM
No possible way. Does Del Potro even play tennis anymore?

Jimnik
03-28-2010, 02:39 AM
He'll need health and probably two slams. Not impossible.

betowiec
03-28-2010, 03:00 AM
doubt it, i will believe it when it happens

enigma
03-28-2010, 03:10 AM
impossible is nothing:devil:

Ibracadabra
03-28-2010, 03:20 AM
He stands the best chance of taking the number 1 spot from roger atm and thats saying something considering all the other candidates are fit and playing.

simplet
03-28-2010, 03:49 AM
This is not a "bold prediction", this is just reverse bandwagoning since Murray and Djokovic have been playing like shit for a month.

Delpo has done fuck all for months, but he's not even out there playing like an amateur like the others so he looks good in comparison.

marcRD
03-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Only Nadal can stop Federer from another nr1 year, but Nadal seems to be in a pretty aggressive decline, who knows how he is going to be 1 year from now.

Del Potro can win RG and US OPEN this year, so he certanly even got a shot this year, but I think he will be kind of unconsistant throughtout his career.

Sunset of Age
03-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Hi guys

I don't post a lot here but I am a good reader of these forums. So this is my first great thread :worship:
The way I see it, Del Potro will be no.1 next year.

Ah, the great Mungo. :worship:

Eh, how about just waiting how he manages to recover from his wrist injury??? :rolleyes:

vn01
03-28-2010, 05:10 AM
I hope so.If he recovers from all his injuries,may be not in 2011,but in 2012 he will be no.1

Forehander
03-28-2010, 07:30 AM
We'll see about that

Goldenoldie
03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Bold prediction -- yes
Correct prediction -- no.

Nice try

paseo
03-28-2010, 07:58 AM
A bold prediction is something like "Ginepri will win USO10!!" :D

Del Potro, Murray and Djokovic have a good chance to become #1 in the future. They're still very young, they don't even have to beat Fed for it, they can just wait it out. Fed has a maximum of 2 more years at the top, then he will decline to a consistent top 10 player. And it will be the time for these three players to shine. We'll see.

Mungo
03-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Nalbandian will be, if he wins against Nadal tomorrow.

Baghdatis is now the no. 1 in my book :devil:

Certinfy
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I think the same :)

DrJules
03-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Despite their current problems I still think Djokovic and Murray are ahead in likelihood. However, Federer and Nadal if they are still focused and determined should occupy the number 1.

Mungo
03-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Ah, the great Mungo. :worship:

Eh, how about just waiting how he manages to recover from his wrist injury??? :rolleyes:

do you know me? :) it is nice to see some recognition outside the Federer Warehouse!!!

federersforehand
03-28-2010, 01:10 PM
problem is federer, del po is 2-6 against him and fed wont choke against him again, lets face it fed dominated for large sections of the USO final, just that federror showed up at a bad time :(

feds going to be a contender until he retires, hes that good; his greatest slump of form in 6 years ended in SF F F W for the year and thats saying something; federers the best player of them all; until he retires it will be very tough for anyone to win a slam; even nadal now his knees are going tits up. so i give delpotro 2013 when he hits no1, when federer retires :P

(my bad, mistakes... zz)

Midnight Ninja
03-28-2010, 01:19 PM
his greatest slump of form in 6 years ended in F F F W for the year and thats saying something;

Make that SF F F W

Mungo
03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Bold prediction -- yes
Correct prediction -- no.

Nice try

Can you look at your crystal ball and tell me who will win Miami? I am interested! Don´t tell me it will be Murray! :haha:

Mungo
03-28-2010, 02:10 PM
problem is federer, del po is 1-6 against him and fed wont choke against him again, lets face it fed dominated for large sections of the USO final, just that federror showed up at a bad time :(

feds going to be a contender until he retires, hes that good; his greatest slump of form in 6 years ended in F F F W for the year and thats saying something; federers the best player of them all; until he retires it will be very tough for anyone to win a slam; even nadal now his knees are going tits up. so i give delpotro 2013 when he hits no1, when federer retires :P

Del Potro beat Federer the last 2 times they played! and Federer was no.1 when it happened! Federer beat Del Potro when delpo was too young. Don't be so confident! I bet Federer will not win more majors this year!

tkr
03-28-2010, 02:22 PM
This is not a bold prediction, its a slightly realistic one. It seems like there's inflation in guesses and predictions in here by morons who really really want to find their thread in a year and hail themselves... :retard:

Guga_fan
03-28-2010, 03:00 PM
I think he would have a big chance of doing that if he weren't suffering with injuries so often...

marcRD
03-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Make that SF F F W

That year was disgusting.

crude oil
03-28-2010, 07:02 PM
not sure that delpo is consistent enough to have the #1 rank. He also seems to have problems with injuries at such a young stage in his career. His movement will also go in ebbs and flows - some days he will move great, other days he will be slow and lost matches.

Nathaliia
03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Too many injuries. He'll be lucky to not have his career turned into Nalbandianesque or Coriaesque one (well, he has got a slam already, so this is this one step further). He's been injured or cramping since early futures events. No, this is not what a #1 is.

mark73
03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
A bold prediction is something like "Ginepri will win USO10!!" :D

Del Potro, Murray and Djokovic have a good chance to become #1 in the future. They're still very young, they don't even have to beat Fed for it, they can just wait it out. Fed has a maximum of 2 more years at the top, then he will decline to a consistent top 10 player. And it will be the time for these three players to shine. We'll see.

I used to think that federer can't possible be number one that much longer. But hes aging so well, and as hes getting older and slower hes making up for it by serving better and further increasing his shot selection (e.g. the drop shot). Federer is one frigin smart player in the way he has managed his carrear. Also Sampras won the us open at 31 and federer has not shown the decline of sampras (sampras only won wimbledon for a while). It is scary but I think we might see federer at the top for 3 or more years (for most of those weeks).

marcRD
03-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Fed has a maximum of 2 more years at the top, then he will decline to a consistent top 10 player.

Dont be so sure about writting Fed of from the top after the age of 30, he looks atleast as good physicaly as Agassi at his age and if you ask me I think he will be top 4 until he atleast is 33 years old.

dombrfc
03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
You said it.. barring injury.

I do hope so :)

wackykid
03-30-2010, 09:28 AM
he's young and already getting into some pretty bad injuries... that doesn't really sound good at all to his career... :o

regards,
wacky

legolandbridge
03-30-2010, 09:49 AM
How bold! A 20 year-old who's already broken in the top 5 and won a Slam might be #1 in the future. That is foresight.
A bolder prediction would say he won't ever break into the top 3.

Mungo
03-31-2010, 01:05 AM
How bold! A 20 year-old who's already broken in the top 5 and won a Slam might be #1 in the future. That is foresight.
A bolder prediction would say he won't ever break into the top 3.

Hey dude I'm saying that the current no.5 will be no.1 next year barring serious injury. If that's not bold then tell me what bold means!!

the graduate
03-31-2010, 10:27 AM
where is the mug

Ichiban1920
03-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Del Mugro has no chance in being no.1. Fluke slam followed by predictable injuries and decline. He sucks.

Mungo
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
Del Mugro has no chance in being no.1. Fluke slam followed by predictable injuries and decline. He sucks.

Fluke Slam? Sounds like sour grapes from a Fedtard :) Feel lucky that he didn't beat Fed in that French Open semifinal, he was really close but still unexperienced. It's amazing that Federer won that French Open playing as badly as he did. THAT was a fluke.

McAlistar
03-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes but hes done nothing at all since has Del Potro. Djokovic was still winning masters series straight affter OZ 08. Also after Murray reached his first slam final he won his next masters series event, Del Potro has a long long way to go to become no.1

rubbERR
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes but hes done nothing at all since has Del Potro. Djokovic was still winning masters series straight affter OZ 08. Also after Murray reached his first slam final he won his next masters series event, Del Potro has a long long way to go to become no.1

what can you do when you are always injured? end of the year he was retiring all the time

Mungo
04-01-2010, 02:56 AM

He was the Masters Cup finalst! Wait, just wait. Only Nadal can stop him.

tennishero
04-21-2010, 05:57 PM
overtook murray this week, hes now #4.
Its really a shame he injured his wrist, he had almost no points to defend these past months.. could have easily jumped into the top 3.