As a Nadal fan do you hope that Nadal loses early in non-slams this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

As a Nadal fan do you hope that Nadal loses early in non-slams this year?

NADALbULLS
03-26-2010, 04:09 AM
He will play a full schedule but do you hope he loses early (as in QF/SF) to save his body for the slams? Or do you think not progressing in non-slams will hurt his confidence and form in slams?

Arkulari
03-26-2010, 04:10 AM
not in clay masters

NADALbULLS
03-26-2010, 04:11 AM
not in clay masters

Yes.

coonster14
03-26-2010, 06:19 AM
i do not care that much how well he does on HC, if he loses early, it is no surprise for me, because too many players can take him out (davy, nole, delpo, murray, soderling, even ljubicic).

but as others before me have said, i hope he gets deep in all clay tournaments and wins them, that would really boost his confidence, which he needs more than anything right now.

i think rafa just needs more matches and more wins to get him back up to speed, i do not think his game is far off, just that right now, mentally he is suffering (strange...2, 3 years ago, u would not think of rafa as someone who suffered from lack of confidence).

VAMOS RAFA!!! :bigclap:

NADALbULLS
03-26-2010, 06:25 AM
Rafael Nadal says this:

“I need to play consecutive matches and play knowing that nothing will happen to me if I push myself to the limit.

“Subconsciously I have more fear now and I don’t know if the limit I am setting is the real one, the one from before.”

Jimnik
03-26-2010, 06:28 AM
If I was a Nadal fan I would hope he grows a brain and doesn't enter every single tournament that tickles his fancy.

His schedule this clay season will be key.

Persimmon
03-26-2010, 05:16 PM
If I was a Nadal fan I would hope he grows a brain and doesn't enter every single tournament that tickles his fancy.

His schedule this clay season will be key.

This.

ApproachShot
03-26-2010, 06:51 PM
If Nadal plays Monte Carlo and Barcelona (and likely enter for doubles as well), I hope he skips Madrid. He will have had enough match practice by then but does not need to over-exert himself before Roland Garros.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
I couldn't care less.

I just hope he takes care of his body, push when he can and pull back (and out of tournaments) when needed.

Adopt a Federer mindset. Focus on the slams, if you lose early elsewhere, who gives a fuck.

moon language
03-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Nadal needs confidence as much as anything and losing early isn't going to help with that.

-Evita-
03-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I am a Nadal fan and I certainly don't hope he loses early in non-slams :shrug: I hope he wins every tournament he enters :) I would never hope for my favourite to lose no matter what state his body might be in. And you know why? Because a win today is always better than a possible win tomorrow. That's my philosophy :cool:

Diprosalic
03-26-2010, 07:18 PM
If Nadal plays Monte Carlo and Barcelona (and likely enter for doubles as well), I hope he skips Madrid.

he can't just skip madrid. its a masters and therfore mandatory.

timafi
03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
hope he wins all the masters series and loses early the 2nd week of the last 3 majors:shrug:

R.Federer
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I am a Nadal fan and I certainly don't hope he loses early in non-slams :shrug: I hope he wins every tournament he enters :) I would never hope for my favourite to lose no matter what state his body might be in. And you know why? Because a win today is always better than a possible win tomorrow. That's my philosophy :cool:

Nice post... deep words there. I can't resist:

if I offered you USD10 for sure today, versus a gamble tomorrow (heads you get USD 1000000 and tails you get USD 0), you would take the certain option ----i.e., USD10 today? Really?

-Evita-
03-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Nice post... deep words there. I can't resist:

if I offered you USD10 for sure today, versus a gamble tomorrow (heads you get USD 1000000 and tails you get USD 0), you would take the certain option ----i.e., USD10 today? Really?

Are you saying a win tomorrow might be a hundred thousand times better than a win today? I don't agree. I might also point out that the probability of a win tomorrow is not like throwing a coin, Rafa usually has higher than 50% chance of winning and it doesn't depend a lot of winning today.

Johnny Groove
03-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Didn't stop Roger from not playing in Shanghai last year.

R.Federer
03-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Are you saying a win tomorrow might be a hundred thousand times better than a win today? I don't agree. I might also point out that the probability of a win tomorrow is not like throwing a coin, Rafa usually has higher than 50% chance of winning and it doesn't depend a lot of winning today.

Sure... it could be, depending on whether you are talking MM versus FO. But that's not the point. The numbers are irrelevant. You could change the 100000 to 1500, and the odds to 90:10 instead of 50:50.

I am looking at your philosophy about preferring certainty today versus a gamble tomorrow. I don't live on that rule, and take many risks instead of a certain outcome today. Found yours oddly fascinating.

tea
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
IMO he should just start peaking during the FO. Then he'd obtain chance of winning not only Paris but London as well. A monster form could last 3-4 months, as we know it. Not enough for the USO, but RG+Wim period of time is real. He just needs to get smart.

-Evita-
03-26-2010, 09:47 PM
I am looking at your philosophy about preferring certainty today versus a gamble tomorrow. I don't live on that rule, and take many risks instead of a certain outcome today. Found yours oddly fascinating.

:lol: I fear you may have misunderstood me, it's not my life philosophy, it's just my tennis philosophy. If Rafa was playing the week before the AO I wouldn't be sitting here and thinking "I want him to lose because then he'll be less tired for the AO", I'd still want him to win.

Now the question about the money was silly, of course I'd take a 50% chance to get one million than a 100% chance to get 10 dollars - because 10 dollars is not a lot of money for me. If you offered me 10,000 vs. a chance of 1,000,000 I'd probably take the 10,000 because that's significant money in comparison to what I have or what I earn. It's all relative.

RafaFan95
03-26-2010, 09:51 PM
I don`t hope that he loses early but i think that he should play less tournaments.

R.Federer
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
:lol: I fear you may have misunderstood me, it's not my life philosophy, it's just my tennis philosophy. If Rafa was playing the week before the AO I wouldn't be sitting here and thinking "I want him to lose because then he'll be less tired for the AO", I'd still want him to win.

Now the question about the money was silly, of course I'd take a 50% chance to get one million than a 100% chance to get 10 dollars - because 10 dollars is not a lot of money for me. If you offered me 10,000 vs. a chance of 1,000,000 I'd probably take the 10,000 because that's significant money in comparison to what I have or what I earn. It's all relative.

Ah but you feel that Nadal should take the certain MM win over a possible FO win? Or is that relative too?

Arkulari
03-27-2010, 12:07 AM

I think you can only skip one or you'll lose the points of your best MS result :o

ssj100
03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
Won't happen. Nadal never loses early.

NADALbULLS
03-27-2010, 06:30 AM
By early I mean QF. The matches up until QF are usually straight sets scared opponents. The SF and F is where the really long matches can happen and that is what makes the difference between tendinitis and not.

-Evita-
03-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Ah but you feel that Nadal should take the certain MM win over a possible FO win? Or is that relative too?

You talk as if he'd have no chance of winning the FO if he won a smaller title before it and I don't agree with this premise, I think if he wins a tournament it means he's playing well and he has confidence and he has match practice and his FO chances are better in this case instead of worse (like you keep telling me). So yes, I want him to win the MM title and then the French Open.

HarryMan
03-27-2010, 02:34 PM
I think he should strive to do well in the hard court events he enters but not push himself too much if things don't go according to plan (leaving the two slams aside).

On clay, he is legend already and doesn't need some MM events to cement his legacy further, it's RG that matters, so I would rather he takes these other clay events with a relatively different mind set and not punish his body for winning those titles. Peaking towards RG (and other slams) is the key. Federer does that very well, I think it's time for Nadal to do the same as well.

PS: I am not a Nadal fan but I enjoy what he brings to tennis.

Goldenoldie
03-27-2010, 02:57 PM
As a Murray fan I would settle for Nadal losing just one round earlier than Murray in each event, but if I happened to be a Nadal fan, no I would never want to see him lose early, no matter how much energy he saved.

If you don't want to win an event, don't enter it. (And yes, I know, some are mandatory, but that's another topic)

peribsen
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
As a Nadal fan do you hope that Nadal loses early in non-slams this year?

Certainly not. The only reason a Nadal fan could be hoping for that would be if he considers that longevity is the best thing a tennis player could hope for (or if he is a tard whose only measure of success is how Nadal compares to Federer). From my point of view, the best thing that can happen for a player is that he takes the circuit by storm, has loads of fun, wins a bunch of top prices, makes a hell of a lot of money...for as long as he can. Nadal has already achieved much of that. When his body says enough, it will have been a hell of a ride. Mind you, I´m not saying that players who play for over a decade and end up with maybe 1 GS and 3-4 MS are devoid of merit, but I´ll leave those boring, long, protracted struggles to others. The best thing about Nadal is that he is no coward, he gives every tournament his very best. In only 5 years he has made a name for himself among the top 20 of all times, cashed in more money than most people can handle and has made big headlines several dozen times. I say keep going, enjoy the ride to the hilt, and if it all ends soon, then so be it. And if Fed ends up with 20 GS (which he deserves) and Nadal 'only' gets 6-8, well, leaving the limelight with about as many crowns as Connors or Fred Perry is hardly a failure by any count. And enjoy a long good laugh thinking about all the fools who think you could have won a couple more if only you had been more 'intelligent' with your scheduling. If Nadal had shared that view, he would have been just another Roddick or Hewitt. Happily, he didn´t, and wasn´t. Hope he gives the buckett a few good more kicks before he bows out.

Everko
04-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I always hope he wins

gulzhan
04-01-2010, 05:55 PM
No. Rafa needs victories.

Ariel
04-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I can't see him skipping Madrid Masters and disappointing Spanish fans. He'll also want to reclaim the title from Roger and he has lots of points to defend there. I'd like to see him skip a smaller tourney like Monte Carlo. Just say no to one clay event, Rafa. But that's anathema to him. :( It's unfortunate but as a fan all I can do is hope he'll learn from his past mistakes and avoid overworking his body before he gets to Roland Garros. One good thing: his personal problems seem to be behind him so at least he'll be 100% focused on tennis.

andy neyer
04-01-2010, 07:12 PM
What kind of fan would hope for his favourite player to lose early?

Tennis-Engineer
04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
I am not a Nadal fan but if I were, I would like to see him demolishing all opponents in clay season and win all titles possible.

DrJules
04-01-2010, 09:24 PM
I can't see him skipping Madrid Masters and disappointing Spanish fans. He'll also want to reclaim the title from Roger and he has lots of points to defend there. I'd like to see him skip a smaller tourney like Monte Carlo. Just say no to one clay event, Rafa. But that's anathema to him. :( It's unfortunate but as a fan all I can do is hope he'll learn from his past mistakes and avoid overworking his body before he gets to Roland Garros. One good thing: his personal problems seem to be behind him so at least he'll be 100% focused on tennis.

Ouch:devil: