Do you hate the high camera angle? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Do you hate the high camera angle?

Whiznot
03-26-2010, 12:43 AM
I love watching televised tennis but nothing is more boring that the high camera angle view. When I attend a match I would never choose to sit high in the stands when a seat low and directly behind the server is available.

What is wrong with the producers and directors of ESPN2, Tennis Channel, Euro Sport, etc. Can they not see that their programs could be exponentially more exciting without the high angle?

If you agree with my view please respond with your point of view.:wavey:

Yappa
03-26-2010, 12:54 AM
You mean the normal TV view? I like it, though in some tournaments the camera is really too far away, e.g. Stuttgart and especially Monte Carlo where it gets very difficult to see the ball when it's sunny.
When attending a tournament, I am usually sitting somewhere in a corner which gives me the best of both worlds. The feeling of speed of the game and a good overview.

Jimnik
03-26-2010, 01:02 AM
I also prefer slightly lower angles as long as the net doesn't block the view of the service line on the far end. But I'm not too fussed with higher angles, IW and Miami are good.

Wimbledon, AO, Paris-Bercy and Hamburg have the perfect views. Not only the best angle but the camera is far enough back that the near baseline can all be seen on one shot. In Cincy, for instance, the camera is low and too close to the court.

partygirl
03-26-2010, 01:28 AM
I enjoy the Australian open coverage, they use the low angle behind the returner for a long time into the point.

More than the angles the commentators bother, i just like to hear the game & audience like i am there. :p

elessar
03-26-2010, 01:29 AM
I hate how high the camera is in Bercy, makes it seem even slower than it is.

MacTheKnife
03-26-2010, 02:12 AM
For the most part they seem fine. I would think that some stadiums just have limitations on where cameras can be placed. But I have limited knowledge of what's required for camera set up.

Clydey
03-26-2010, 03:16 AM
I hate the low angle. I'd find it hard to watch tennis if they stuck with the low angle, considering the fact that you can barely see what's going on at the other end of the court.

rocketassist
03-26-2010, 03:28 AM
The low angle is bloody awful.

KarlyM
03-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Most TV angles are fine for me. I don't like the angle so low you can't see the other side of the court, or the super-high angle that's practically an overhead view.

What I really hate is when ESPN (in the U.S.) parks a camera on the side of a non-TV court during a GS. They whip the camera back and forth so much it makes anyone dizzy. http://bestsmileys.com/puking/4.gif

Fiberlight1
03-26-2010, 03:55 AM
I like the US open on USA... That's my favorite style camera angle.

Havok
03-26-2010, 03:57 AM
The worst camera angle ever is the one they used to use, and still do, while airing the ladies YEC. Horrible view, and it makes the tennis court look like a fat rectangle givving way too much width when in reality it's longer length wise as opposed to its width.:o

Mechlan
03-26-2010, 06:55 AM
I like the US open on USA... That's my favorite style camera angle.

Agreed, the camera on Ashe is one of the best. Not a fan of the high MC angle, or low ones for that matter.

Goldenoldie
03-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I hate the low angle. I'd find it hard to watch tennis if they stuck with the low angle, considering the fact that you can barely see what's going on at the other end of the court.

I agree. I don't want to feel as if I'm actually playing the point. I want to see all the lines clearly, and the high angle from behind the server is just fine. This is where I sit through choice if I go to a tournament.

krystlel
03-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I prefer low angle when watching live, and high angle when watching on TV. I'm not sure if I would have.the same preferences though if the camera angle on TV was something different, since I intentionally look for a different experience when watching live tennis.

cocrcici
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
I hate the low angle.

Diprosalic
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
no, i love the standard angle. i really hate it when they switch to the low angle at an important point. you can't see shit. i remember they switched to the low angle at an match point in wimbledon once and the point was really long and you had no idea whats happening.

tkr
03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
no, i love the standard angle. i really hate it when they switch to the low angle at an important point. you can't see shit. i remember they switched to the low angle at an match point in wimbledon once and the point was really long and you had no idea whats happening.

That is so true...and you start yelling at the producer who obviously has a issue with his timing on using his "tools"....ok,yes..we know you have the low camera angle..just dont use it at freaking important points!!!!

LEGENDOFTENNIS
03-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Wimbledon angle is perfect

RIboy
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
The low angle is bloody awful.

+1

Corswandt
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM

This.

All the stadium courts at the Slams provide good camera angles. The USO perhaps makes for the best TV.

For years on end the camera was placed so high up on TMS Monte Carlo that it could be near impossible to see the ball depending on the lighting, but IIRC that was solved last year.

MrChopin
03-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Bercy cameras definitely are the best. The court looks like square.

ZaZoo)
03-26-2010, 01:55 PM
Low angle is terrible like in Cincinnati.

oranges
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't know whether that's what people who hate low angle mean by it, but I love the angle behind the player. You actually get to see the pace and spin on shots. Best approximation of watching live

Diprosalic
03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't know whether that's what people who hate low angle mean by it, but I love the angle behind the player. You actually get to see the pace and spin on shots. Best approximation of watching live

well yeah its nice and all but you can't see whats going on. you have no idea what the other player is doing. and where the ball does land.

oranges
03-26-2010, 04:39 PM
well yeah its nice and all but you can't see whats going on. you have no idea what the other player is doing. and where the ball does land.

Well, that's why I'm not sure we're speaking about the same thing. It's high enough to see the other side of the court well and there's no problem for me following what's going on on both sides. The only downside being not having the same overview of balls close to the lines, but I'll take that, it's not particularly telling without hawkeye anyway. On the other side, I don't remember seeing the extremely low one, not that this one is used much either.

tangerine_dream
03-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Do you hate the high camera angle?
I really hate the overhead view they use to show replays now; it's so high you can't friggin see the ball.

jdenelle
03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
yes, very annoying.

yonexforever
03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
The worst camera angle ever is the one they used to use, and still do, while airing the ladies YEC. Horrible view, and it makes the tennis court look like a fat rectangle givving way too much width when in reality it's longer length wise as opposed to its width.:o

This ALWAYS seems to be the case when they play at MSG.
I have never understood why the camera angle makes the court look so darn wide!
The overhead court shot is just some zealous director, it adds NOTHING for the tennis fan who also plays the game. Thas like the kooky pen camera in the net to show the players rushing towards the net!
As a fan/player i want to see how shots are produced or how openings are seen, so court level shots are best.
Especially the ones BEHInd a player, so you can see the preparation.

moon language
03-26-2010, 05:46 PM
It's interesting how much of a difference the camera angle can make. I'm not sure if there are other factors as well like depth of field perhaps, but the camera on one of the outer courts at Indian Wells made it look like the ball was moving much faster than on the main stadium court.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
I hate both high and low angles.

aussie_fan
03-27-2010, 01:50 AM
Don't mind the low angle as long as its used sparingly, what's more annoying is the really high angle you can gets ometimes, Brisbane last year had a horribly high angle, you couldn't tell the depth of the ball at all, it was like watching from a blimp. Remember a DC tie in Argentina a few years back there was a silmilar awful angle.

But most tournaments are fine, AO seem to be able to get it best but i spend half of thetournament there instead of on TV so it doesn't matter anyway.

Whiznot
03-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I tried to watch the Isner vs Djokovic match from Serbia. The camera angle was extremely high. I could never see the bend on Isner's serves or the amount of topspin on ground strokes. I have a recording of the match but it is just too boring to watch.

When I started this thread I thought there would be almost universal favor for the low angle behind the server. The low view makes me feel like I am the player.

There is a real divergence of opinion here. With replay used so often, big points at the US Open, for example, often show both angles of important points.

I am ready for interactive tennis TV where I can choose my own camera angle.

brent-o
03-27-2010, 02:54 AM
I like low angle, like shot from right behind the player. Though they don't go to it that often, so I would probably get sick of it if they shot the whole match like that. But I think that angle showcases the player's techniques more, and how easy they make the difficult look.

TennisLurker
03-27-2010, 03:22 AM
I love the Bercy angle that made someone ask if the court there was of a sifferent size! :D