The Clay Court Season- Road To Roland Garros! French Open (22-05-2010) [Archive] - Page 11 - MensTennisForums.com

The Clay Court Season- Road To Roland Garros! French Open (22-05-2010)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

cielo
05-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Now I'm just waiting for the hand shake, lol....and how he's gonna act graciously in defeat, as he's most of the time have always been. :)

Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts. - Winston Churchill

~*BGT*~
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Fuck Murray and the FFT and that stupid holiday in France. It's their fault :mad:

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I am excited for the grass season.. he is back big time a la 2007

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Not in terms of his real progress BUT in HIS mind if he does another Wimbledon on his home turf I can't help but think that he will be crushed

I just don't think so. he knew it would be tough today and that he had to do it in straights. I think he knew he wouldn't last a five setter. And so did I.

He played Roland Garros (which he shied away two years ago) and it is was his best match ever there. He showed he is up to the task tennis-wise. He improved his ranking by winning Nice. It will make him enter tourneys directly in summer and autumn. And he can have a break for grass.

misty1
i really wanted to see murray crash out in the first round

fucking child like he is when he's losing

Cloudygirl
Well it's a shitty 5 set loss and he can hardly walk great. Oh well at least set 5 wasn't close. I'd rather that than a heartbreaking choke.

feliciano
i feel so bad :((((

Davodus
I am SO pissed off right now I cannot even begin to explain it.

Gretchen.
05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Well it's a shitty 5 set loss and he can hardly walk great. Oh well at least set 5 wasn't close. I'd rather that than a heartbreaking choke.

It was sort of a choke Tori, he was up a break in the third.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
The commentator "Oh he's lacking the killer attitude"

Pffft.. he was giving his all but he could hardly f-cking move... what a dumb arse.

misty1
if he had been able to hold his serve at either time of 3-2 or 4-5 in the 3rd set i think he would have won..

this is just not right..murray gets lucky

Gul
Don't say any words because he play very well, look every body cheer up now go Richard ! We always love you.

oranges
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
What a shame, such great play until he ran out of gas. I officially join the haters of the French crowd, but for different reasons. They could have carried him through it in 3rd and 4th. They woke up in the 5th when he was already dead tired, not just out of gas.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
I am SO pissed off right now I cannot even begin to explain it.
I am not pissed at all. I knew he had to win in straights, or he would lose. He showed he's up there tennis-wise. He deliverd a great match in RG which he had hardly done before, he will have a well -deserved rest and on to grass we go.

Schu
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
O. K. I didn't expect him to WIn UNTIL he was up 2 sets and a break and really playing well/in control. I just knew after such a good past few weeks he couldn't do it again. But he did :sad::sad:

The only thing I'm disappointed about is how he ONCE AGAIN COULD NOT CLOSE IT OUT on the big stage. THE last two sets he was clearly tired and I suspect the previous 2 weeks caught up with him physically an dmentally. BUT NO EXCUSE for the 3rd set, even if tired his momentum should have been enough to carry him through but same old story...

On to grass and hopefully he can just take a pill and erase this AWFUL day from his brain. But RIchie isn't the kind to do that easily.

Lemon Custard
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Fuck Murray and the FFT and that stupid holiday in France. It's their fault :mad:

It'd be interesting to see if there is any pro Richie, anti FFT fallout in the press from this to be honest...

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
What a shame, such great play until he ran out of gas. I officially join the haters of the French crowd, but for different reasons. They could have carried him through it in 3rd and 4th. They woke up in the 5th when he was already dead tired, not just out of gas.

I totally concur, seems we central Europeans are different to the French. ;)

Schu
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I am not pissed at all. I knew he had to win in straights, or he would lose. He showed he's up there tennis-wise. He deliverd a great match in RG which he had hardly done before, he will have a well -deserved rest and on to grass we go.

He delivered a great matuh for 2 1/2 sets but a poor one for the other 2 1/2 sets and unfortunatly the last part is what the French fans and he will remember most.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
He got really great crowd reception actually at the end they didn't look too pissed with him at all.

~*BGT*~
05-24-2010, 05:53 PM
It'd be interesting to see if there is any pro Richie, anti FFT fallout in the press from this to be honest...

All he needed was 1 more day... one single day for rest and I'm positive he would have one.

Gul
:wavey:Hush Pls :)
:worship:He is a great tennis player :worship:

Davodus

Yeah I know but he had the chance to win it in three, by going up a break...It's just really disappointing because he was clearly the better player when he was fit, and then when he got injured and tired he lost, and that's the main reason for it...it annoys me especially because it was once again against Murray.

Lemon Custard
He got really great crowd reception actually at the end they didn't look too pissed with him at all.

And they did a Richard chant at the end..

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh come on guys he had one bad miss. Andy handed him that break and then immediately woke back up (or so my friend told me on the text ;) I was at work). A break is nothing on clay. He had no legs at all in the sets that I saw.

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
As much as I like Richard, I think we should stop seeing "the positive" in every loss and maybe come to the realisation that he just can't play 5 set matches. As much as it sucks to find that out... imo it's the truth, no? Personally I can't see a whole lot of positive in this match. He lost being up 2 sets and a break. To me that classifies as a choke and I am quite pissed at him at the moment :mad:

But what can we do about it:o Let's just hope one day we won't actually lose a match being up 2 sets because this is getting annoying.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
He was exhausted. Justifiably so. He needed to finish it of in 3 sets, and just couldn't do it.

Proud of you Richard!!!!! Bring on Wimbledon. :)

Jozie
05-24-2010, 05:58 PM
As much as I like Richard, I think we should stop seeing "the positive" in every loss and maybe come to realisation that he just can't play 5 set matches. As much as it sucks to find that out... imo it's the truth, no? Personally I can't see a whole lot of positive in this match. He lost being up 2 sets and a break. To me that classifies as a choke and I am quite pissed at him at the moment :mad:

But what can we do about it:o Let's just hope one day we won't actually lose a match being up 2 sets because this is getting annoying.

He has just won 10 matches in a row on clay!! Give him a break. He was playing NO 4 in the world.
:confused:

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 05:59 PM
As much as I like Richard, I think we should stop seeing "the positive" in every loss and maybe come to realisation that he just can't play 5 set matches. As much as it sucks to find that out... imo it's the truth, no? Personally I can't see a whole lot of positive in this match. He lost being up 2 sets and a break. To me that classifies as a choke and I am quite pissed at him at the moment :mad:

Did you watch the match? Usually I am quite negative about Richard's many losses... I was PISSED about Melbourne against Mikhail.. that was a horrible match and he choked. But this time I think was different he was EXHAUSTED and INJURED but he still fought til the end and he didn't appear mentally tired at all.. and you have to remember that this was against the world number 4 anyway..

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I was pissed at him losing to Andy at wimbledon he should not have lost that match and he absolutely shouldn't have lost to Gonzo at the AO.

With this I feel that he's not in the right place right now. he was always going to win in 3 or lose. He isn't physically or mentally ready yet to play 3 weeks in a row but not many players are and yes nice was shitty preparation for Roland but who the hell thought he could beat Verdasco and then go 5 sets with the world number 5 a month ago? I certainly didn't.

If he can't play Eastbourne he will be rested for Wimbledon and hopefully not have a completely shite draw and I think he will be more ready then.

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I did in fact watch that match yes:) I don't care if it was against the nr 4 in the world, he was up TWO sets and a break... He should have won it. I know he was injured in the 5th set, but it never should have gone to a fifth set to begin with. He played great for about 2,5 sets... but he needs to be able to play great longer than that. And he has shown (several times) that he is incapable of doing that.

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
I was pissed at him losing to Andy at wimbledon he should not have lost that match and he absolutely shouldn't have lost to Gonzo at the AO.

With this I feel that he's not in the right place right now. he was always going to win in 3 or lose. He isn't physically or mentally ready yet to play 3 weeks in a row but not many players are and yes nice was shitty preparation for Roland but who the hell thought he could beat Verdasco and then go 5 sets with the world number 5 a month ago? I certainly didn't.

Personally I think he was in the PERFECT place. He had no pressure, he was on a winning streak, he had a home crowd, he was playing against a guy that hasn't had a good clay season etc etc. It had to happen today... and he had every chance to do it but he didn't.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Mentally yes but physically he was never going to sustain play over 5 sets today. if he'd had another days rest I think he may have taken it. But that's tennis. He was either going to win in 3 today or lose imo.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I did in fact watch that match yes:) I don't care if it was against the nr 4 in the world, he was TWO sets and a break... He should have won it. I know he was injured in the 5th set, but it never should have gone to a fifth set to begin with. He played great for about 2,5 sets... but he needs to be able to play great longer than that. And he has shown (several times) that he is incapable of doing that.

Well I am actually happy with the match today and usually I'm not when it involves Gasquet.. guess we'll agree to disagree.

I wonder if he will have to pull out of the doubles because of the injury or is it just tiredness/soreness?

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:09 PM
I did in fact watch that match yes:) I don't care if it was against the nr 4 in the world, he was TWO sets and a break... He should have won it. I know he was injured in the 5th set, but it never should have gone to a fifth set to begin with. He played great for about 2,5 sets... but he needs to be able to play great longer than that. And he has shown (several times) that he is incapable of doing that.

Of course he needs to play longer, but for goodness sake. He played a final for close on 3 hours only 2 days ago.

Once he gets his ranking up to where he should be, he won't be playing TOP 10 players in opening matches of Grand Slams.

Let's put things into perspective here.

Proud of Richard. At least he didn't retire. :yeah:

*julie*
05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
We can't compare this loss to the one in Wimbledon. He lost in Wimbly because of his mental whereas today it was the fitness. It's less worrying. We are all aware he lost because of his match of saturday but today he had the mental and the tennis to win this match. That's all what matters.
It was a loss today but I am sure the standing ovation he received when leaving the court did him a lot of good.

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Once he gets his ranking up to where he should be, he won't be playing TOP 10 players in opening matches of Grand Slams.

How is he going to get his ranking up if he doesn't win these kind of matches?

Kournikovaism
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
Aww well all my big faves are out of the men's draw already :o :o :sobbing: I guess the Women's Draw is all there is now to interest me .

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:18 PM

He already is. He's ranked 29 in the race. That's with 2 first round grand slam losses, and that's being seeded in slams once the year evens out.

Schu

Glad to hear that I actually turned it off before the last point cuz I couldn't watch. SOunded to me like the crowd in Nice was more supportative but it also looked like RIcard was more expressive and had better body language there too.

Hope I haven't sounded too negative. I love the guy and still believe he will break through. And yes he's had a few very good weeks and CERTAINLY is moving in the right direction but the bottom line is, if you are/want to be a TOP 20 player you HAVE to CLOSE OUT a match when you have the chance. He did that quite well the last 2 weeks and is 4-4 in TB on clay (Including today). All of which is very positive. BUT he just isn't quite there yet mentally. Tired, even exhausted, or not when you are up 2 sets and break against the #4 player on your home stadium, you should be able to pull it out particularly since it wasn't like Murray did anything special, except PUSH.

No more ranting for me. I'm loooking forward to seeing him on grass and taking down Murray at Wimbly - 3rd time is the charm as they say...

:hug::hug:Richie

Puschkin
He was either going to win in 3 today or lose imo.
My thoughts exactly. Still it was a good decision to play Bordeaux and Nice. The points gained there are uselful for his future tourney entries. And without those wins, he would not have been able to play like he did today.

tennis lover
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
:hug: to all. Have had no laptop for the last two weeks so I missed all the good stuff and I came home from work today just in time to see the fifth set...:o

I blame my friend who said "it's all over now" when he was up a break in the third. :sobbing: As soon as he said it I told him that Richard is mental and he has proved me right! :awww: Still, it was a tough draw and he's at least won some matches recently so let's hope that good things will come at wimbledon! :dance:

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
He already is. He's ranked 29 in the race. That's with 2 first round grand slam losses, and that's being seeded in slams once the year evens out.

I mean the actual rankings, not the race. The race is great, but it's not what really matters (to me anyway).

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:23 PM

I would say gaining 23 positions by winning ATP250's is a pretty good start last week.
He has nothing to defend until US Open end of August, so surely the grass season opens up opportunities.

Remember, playing a Challenger 2 weeks ago and winning matches put in the position to win 2 sets against Murray today. Honestly a couple of weeks ago, Richard had no idea what it felt like to win matches, let alone tournaments.

It was always going to be a 50/50 chance to beat Murray today, and even though Richard was on the losing end, he has done exceptionally well in the past 2 weeks to win 10 matches in a row.

As a fan (not a delusional one) of Richard's, I am very impressed. :wavey:

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:24 PM
We can't compare this loss to the one in Wimbledon. He lost in Wimbly because of his mental whereas today it was the fitness. It's less worrying. We are all aware he lost because of his match of saturday but today he had the mental and the tennis to win this match. That's all what matters.
It was a loss today but I am sure the standing ovation he received when leaving the court did him a lot of good.

Actually the loss today was mental too. If he had held his serve instead of playing that awful game in the 3rd to loose serve, it would have been over and fitnees in sets 4 and 5 would never have been an issue.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
I totally agree! I am not disappointed at all. If he had won today,
he would have been dead-tired on Wednesday. Bordeaux and Nice were played to get the ranking up, not to raech the final of Roland Garros, but what he did today reconciled him with the French crowd and that may be very importnat in the months to come.

~*BGT*~
05-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Tori and other Brits, what does this mean?

Their a dummy by your foot on the floor,pick it up & stick it in your mouth BGT

It's from one of those dumb Brits on my other forum who can't stay off Murray's cock. :rolleyes:

Tess Gray
05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
It was always going to be a 50/50 chance to beat Murray today, and even though Richard was on the losing end, he has done exceptionally well in the past 2 weeks to win 10 matches in a row.

It was a 50/50 chance (or even less) before the match. Once the match started, it was obvious Richard was playing better and he should have won. Period.

That is just unnecessary.

~*BGT*~
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Yes, and he's just 400 points behind #32. I believe he can gather that many points by August. Remember, he's defending nothing until then :)

Davodus
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I would say gaining 23 positions by winning ATP250's is a pretty good start last week.
He has nothing to defend until US Open end of August, so surely the grass season opens up opportunities.

Remember, playing a Challenger 2 weeks ago and winning matches put in the position to win 2 sets against Murray today. Honestly a couple of weeks ago, Richard had no idea what it felt like to win matches, let alone tournaments.

Well since it is unlikely he will be seeded at Wimbledon, there is no way of knowing who he will get in round 1, and therefore he could very easily lose first round again and gain no points.

Going into the match, obviously it's going to be a 50/50 chance of winning since there are 2 people...but when you go up 2 sets to love, and a break, playing great tennis...you SHOULD close it out! There are no excuses for that. Yes he got tired, and yes he was injured, but that came after the third set which he should have won. I don't see what's particularly impressive with losing from 2 sets to love up for the 4th time in 2 years in a slam.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
I mean the actual rankings, not the race. The race is great, but it's not what really matters (to me anyway).

But the actual rankings are out of sync for Richard because he missed so much last year. The race is a true reflection of his form this year which means he is performing within the top 30 this year so as the year evens out he should keep progressing up. If he had a good showing on grass and the european clay courts which I imagine he will play by grass, he should be seeded by the USO.

There are tons of players that don't perform in slams that are highly ranked. For example Simon was top 10 ranked when his strongest performance in a slam was 3rd round.

Bellucci - never passed second match of a slam ranked 29.

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
As much as I like Richard, I think we should stop seeing "the positive" in every loss and maybe come to the realisation that he just can't play 5 set matches. As much as it sucks to find that out... imo it's the truth, no? Personally I can't see a whole lot of positive in this match. He lost being up 2 sets and a break. To me that classifies as a choke and I am quite pissed at him at the moment :mad:

Sounds like we are the only ones who think that way. I see lots of positive in the clay season overall but not in THIS match, same old story. Two steps forward, one step back but that's still going forward, just a bit slower.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Aww well all my big faves are out of the men's draw already :o :o :sobbing: I guess the Women's Draw is all there is now to interest me .

:hug:

On the bright side, Richard kept Andy out there for 4 hours :devil: I hope he is exhausted.

~*BGT*~
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Please guys, let's not argue. The best thing about Gasquetaires is our unrelenting support for our man, no matter what he goes through (and he's been through a LOT! :o ). Yes, Richie SHOULD have won. When you're up 2-0 and a break, you SHOULD win, but he did not. We can come up with a million reasons why he lost, but it doesn't matter. He still lost. All we can do is support him and enjoy him for what he is, a pleasure to watch and a sweet person. He may never be a grand slam champion or have huge success, and if you can't make peace with that, whomever you are, maybe you should stick with Federer and Nadal.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Well since it is unlikely he will be seeded at Wimbledon, there is no way of knowing who he will get in round 1, and therefore he could very easily lose first round again and gain no points.

Going into the match, obviously it's going to be a 50/50 chance of winning since there are 2 people...but when you go up 2 sets to love, and a break, playing great tennis...you SHOULD close it out! There are no excuses for that. Yes he got tired, and yes he was injured, but that came after the third set which he should have won. I don't see what's particularly impressive with losing from 2 sets to love up for the 4th time in 2 years in a slam.

Let's put things into perspective.

Two weeks ago we were happy he was winning a Challenger, and now we are less impressed he is losing from 2 sets to love up from the NO4 in the world, after beating NO9 in the world last week and winning 10 clay court matches in a row....

Either your glass is half full or half empty...

And if he had beat NO 4 in 3 tight sets we would have said what?????

tennisc
05-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Well, I feel like crying, but I'm not going to. He has had a great 2 weeks, 10 straight wins, 2 titles, much more than I could have asked.
I watched the match on the tennis channel website, which by the way, was a very good stream. I knew he was exhausted and would have to win it in three sets. He played some good tennis and I'm proud of him. He played the best I have ever seen him play at RG, and I just kept thinking I was thankful that he was able to play there this year. It was 2007 that he last played there. The crowd gave him a standing ovation when he walked off and he acknowledged them also. He really looked happy to be there for a change. I would love to say that he can now go somewhere quiet and beautiful and relax a few days, but then remembered that he is supposed to play doubles with Seb.
I certainly hope he gets into some of the grass court tourneys. Watching him on grass is something else, a rare sight!

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:36 PM
and if you can't make peace with that, whomever you are, maybe you should stick with Federer and Nadal.

That's why I watch Richie to see magical tennis and Nadal to see "never say die" tennis - love them both for 2 VERY different reasons.

oranges
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

If they were pissed in the end, that would be the icing on the cake. That's not great crowd support by any stretch of the imagination. Everyone can do without crazy support from the stands when playing great, they need it when their level dips for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they showed some appreciation in the end, but that was pathetic crowd support during the match.

Davodus
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Going into the match, obviously it's going to be a 50/50 chance of winning since there are 2 people...but when you go up 2 sets to love, and a break, playing great tennis...you SHOULD close it out! There are no excuses for that. Yes he got tired, and yes he was injured, but that came after the third set which he should have won. [B]I don't see what's particularly impressive with losing from 2 sets to love up for the 4th time in 2 years in a slam.

Two weeks ago we were happy he was winning a Challenger, and now we are less impressed he is losing from 2 sets to love up from the NO4 in the world, after beating NO9 in the world last week and winning 10 clay court matches in a row....

Either your glass is half full or half empty...

And if he had beat NO 4 in 3 tight sets we would have said what?????

They are 2 different things. That was a positive, this is a negative. That's really all there is to it. If this was the first time this had happened, sure, it wouldn't be as bad. But, its the 4th in less than 2 years.

If he had won, I think it's pretty obvious everyone would have been happy, no? No real point in even asking that...he should have won, and he didn't. And that's what it is.

*julie*
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Choking is a mental thing. Today Richard lacked just a bit more of fitness to stay agressive in the end of the third. He couldn't then play at his normal level because of tiredness. That is not choking. With a little bit more of fitness, he could have fought back.
And I don't think many players would have won a 5 set match after two consecutive weeks of tournament and a 3 hour final two days ago.

And the tactic of Murray was not to wait for Richard to choke but to run out of fitness. And that's what happened.

Btw, when he left the court, in the interview, he said it was just a shame he couldn't have played a day after. So I guess he is a bit angry against the FFT.

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Jozie;9952078

[/QUOTE]

NOt a question of half full or half empty, just a fact that on THIS day, in THIS match he had a chance and blew it. I know for me it would not be quite as disappointing if it were against someone else but it was almost EXACTLY the same as Wimbledon and I think we just hoped he would have learned something. I could even deal with it if the mighty #4 played great tennis to pull it out but he did nothing but basically let RIchard choke and I HATE that style.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
They are 2 different things. That was a positive, this is a negative. That's really all there is to it. If this was the first time this had happened, sure, it wouldn't be as bad. But, its the 4th in less than 2 years.

If he had won, I think it's pretty obvious everyone would have been happy, no? No real point in even asking that...he should have won, and he didn't. And that's what it is.

Dave of course it is what it is. How many of us fans actually expected him to win today, after the good run he has had in the past 2 weeks? And how fair is it that he should have to play Murray in the first round in a Grand Slam. My point is, he is in a better frame of mind having beaten a Top 10 player and having won 2 tourney's in the past 2 weeks, at least he is on the right track.

This is NOT a negative. You have your opionion and other share your opinion. As far as I am concerned, I never expected him to win today. It is far too premature to expect another TOP 10 win after Nice last week.

It is what it is.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Choking is a mental thing. Today Richard lacked just a bit more of fitness to stay agressive in the end of the third. He couldn't then play at his normal level because of tiredness. That is not choking. With a little bit more of fitness, he could have fought back.
And I don't think many players would have won a 5 set match after two consecutive weeks of tournament and a 3 hour final two days ago.

And the tactic of Murray was not to wait for Richard to choke but to run out of fitness. And that's what happened.

Btw, when he left the court, in the interview, he said it was just a shame he couldn't have played a day after. So I guess he is a bit angry against the FFT.

Good - he is well within his right to be pissed off - he probably would have won if he was allowed to play a different day.
I agree with you on all points.. he lost due to exhaustion (physically speaking) there was no choking going on. Andy's "style" is to keep pushing the ball back til the other person tires and that is exactly what happened.

Anyway - I am excited about the grass season I think he could have a good Wimbledon.. :) and if he doesn't well, I will still support him.. If you want the player you support to win all the time go support Federer..

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM

I feel like this too and i'm normally on the glass is half empty side. A break on clay isn't the same as a break on other surfaces for a start. Just wish he'd had a bit more in the tank but he could have been humiliated and he wasn't Last month he got 3 games off Berdych.

Of course they wouldn't have met in the 1st round but if he was in the same ranking position as he was in 08 with the same result then I would be disappointed but he has been effected by the off court stuff and he is still doing better than I expected right now.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
What is up next, anyway? Queen's?

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Well if I was him I'd ask for a wild card to Nottingham challenger (I think that you can get late entry for that) and get extra grass practice next week / rack up an extra few points but given that he was just refused a wild card for Eastbourne he probably wont. Otherwise Queens then Wimby unless one of the other grass tournies give him a WC or there are tons of withdrawals.

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Dave of course it is what it is. How many of us fans actually expected him to win today, after the good run he has had in the past 2 weeks? And how fair is it that he should have to play Murray in the first round in a Grand Slam. My point is, he is in a better frame of mind having beaten a Top 10 player and having won 2 tourney's in the past 2 weeks, at least he is on the right track.

This is NOT a negative. You have your opionion and other share your opinion. As far as I am concerned, I never expected him to win today. It is far too premature to expect another TOP 10 win after Nice last week.

It is what it is.

I didn't expect him to win either but the point is he was up 2 sets and break and then one should expect to win - unless they can't close it out. And when in the position he was in why shouldn't we/he expect another top 10 win?

Davodus
05-24-2010, 06:54 PM

It is what it is.

Those 2 weeks were fantastic, sure. But this match was not, it was totally negative, he let a 2 set lead go for the 4th time in two years and there is no positive in that. The concept of "it's okay because he did well last week" is really quite strange...because last week was last week, and that's all well and good but this is now this week. He is not fit enough to be a professional player if he can't back up a week like that. It takes weeks, or months to gain confidence and momentum, and one match to lose it. Like I keep trying to say, if this was the first time all of what you are saying would be true. It's the 4th time, and probably not the last unless he flogs himself stupid to get fit.

Jozie
NOt a question of half full or half empty, just a fact that on THIS day, in THIS match he had a chance and blew it. I know for me it would not be quite as disappointing if it were against someone else but it was almost EXACTLY the same as Wimbledon and I think we just hoped he would have learned something. I could even deal with it if the mighty #4 played great tennis to pull it out but he did nothing but basically let RIchard choke and I HATE that style.

That is fine. HATE that style then. I honestly do not understand the disappointment. I just cannot understand the expectations of Richard right now.

I just really never expected him to play as well as he did, even though he blew it in the end.

To take it to 5 sets after winning 10 matches on clay was pretty good going in my opinion.

But you see it differently.

Tess Gray
A guy on GM said this:
Some people have seen Gasquet do this so often that they just find it funny now. If this was a one-off thing it wouldn't be so bad.

It's basically what I'm trying to say. It can happen once, no doubt about it. Hey it can even happen twice. Three times: dude's got issues. 4 times: dude's got major issues.

If this was the first time it ever happened, I wouldn't be pissed. But it's not the 1st time. It also bothers me (like Schu said) that Murray didn't win this match, Richard lost it.

And David you're right. People are justifying this loss by saying he did great the last two weeks. Why? Is it impossible to play well 3 weeks?

Schu
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Well if I was him I'd ask for a wild card to Nottingham challenger (I think that you can get late entry for that) and get extra grass practice next week / rack up an extra few points but given that he was just refused a wild card for Eastbourne he probably wont. Otherwise Queens then Wimby unless one of the other grass tournies give him a WC or there are tons of withdrawals.

Refused a WC for Eastbourne :mad:

*julie*
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
And David you're right. People are justifying this loss by saying he did great the last two weeks. Why? Is it impossible to play well 3 weeks?

That's where we disagree. He played well today even better than the past two weeks. With one more day of rest he would have won.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I don't feel the need to justify his loss actually. He is the 45th ranked player and he lost to the 4th ranked player. That is what is meant to happen.

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
To everyone complaining about the match today: Yes, he lost after having a break up in the third. And yes it was for the fourth time. But guess what? You don't HAVE to support him, nobody has a gun to your head saying you have to keep watching his matches. I'm not trying to sound rude...he does play a lot of heartbreaking matches and puts us fans through a lot but if you can't handle it, don't bother with him anymore.... I'll repeat whats been said, If you want to support a player that wins all the time head on over to the Nadal or Federer boards.

Richard has had a lot of disappointing results and lost a lot of matches he probably should have but its something we have to accept.. he can play beautiful sometimes and horrible the next.. that is Richard.. don't expect too much from him, just enjoy his tennis and support him. If you can't handle the losses, you don't have to bother with him anymore.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Those 2 weeks were fantastic, sure. But this match was not, it was totally negative, he let a 2 set lead go for the 4th time in two years and there is no positive in that. The concept of "it's okay because he did well last week" is really quite strange...because last week was last week, and that's all well and good but this is now this week. He is not fit enough to be a professional player if he can't back up a week like that. It takes weeks, or months to gain confidence and momentum, and one match to lose it. Like I keep trying to say, if this was the first time all of what you are saying would be true. It's the 4th time, and probably not the last unless he flogs himself stupid to get fit.

Totally disagree that this is totally negative.

BIG PICTURE is that just over a year ago, Richard loses in Rome Masters in R16 to Verdasco with drug scandal hanging over his head.
Just over a year later, Richard is happy to be playing tennis again, and beats Verdasco in his back yard. Exhausted after beating Fernando in a thrilling 3 sets, we are all overjoyed that our boy has won another tournament and jumped 23 places in the rankings.

Problem is, that he gets less than 48 hours to recover. Do players like Federer, Nadal or Murray play a tournament a week before a GS? No of course not. They save themselves. But then again, they are in a position to do so.

It is no disgrace to lose to Murray. Even if he blew it again. Murray has never had to fight the same challenges in the past year.

oranges
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
People are justifying this loss by saying he did great the last two weeks. Why? Is it impossible to play well 3 weeks?

It clearly is because he played fabulous the first set, already dipped a bit in the second but it was still enough, not in the third though. Why does it have to be a part of an abstracted number game "how many times he's lost a 5-setter"? It's perfectly possible to assess the match on its own, according to what was actually happening. I doubt many of us who were of the opinion he needs to win this in straights, 4 tops were basing it on his 5-set record, but on what we were seeing from him on court today. Perhaps it seems as justification, but to me it's merely a perception. I have one for each of those losses. The Murray one in Wimbledon was the worst and he was completely overwhelmed by the turnaround and the crowd, the Gonzo one was a spectacular match won by a player who first managed to find a winner on a crucial point, the Youzhny one was somewhere in between. Clearly, he needs to start winning some of those and break the cycle but that doesn't change the fact that neither the Gonzo nor this loss fits the pattern.

reggie1
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I taped the match and when Richie was two sets and a break up, I thought, I can't wait, I have to know now (memories of Murray, Gonzo and Haas came flooding back and I didn't dare to dream that far). Logged on and what d'ya know? Same old Same old. Richard should have won this, I know he did far far better than anybody expected but he really had this within his grasp and should have closed it out. Was fitness an issue in the third set when he had the advantage? The fitness being an issue in the fourth and fifth, I readily accept but Murray was pants today and Richie had the best chance ever to beat him in that third set.
The real issue is, that whoever he plays, knows, get a third set off him and the match is theirs for the taking. How this is turned around, I really don't know.
I thought Richard played out of his skin today, he was amazing for the first two sets and all things considered, yes, he did do well but it just eats at me that he did not seize the moment in the third set.
On a positive, the old magic is still there and he was a joy to watch today at many points. My husband was watching the match with me and we had a chuckle over the fact that I like Gulbis and Richie and both admitted that I don't find the Feds and Nadals of this world interesting enough to follow. That could never be said about Richard.
I did actually worry that if he did win today, he would be the hailed as the french saviour again and lots of pressure would suddenly be heaped on him so maybe it was a blessing in disguise. Who knows?
Anyway, onwards and upwards. Looking forward to Wimbly.

Gul
05-24-2010, 07:18 PM
To everyone complaining about the match today: Yes, he lost after having a break up in the third. And yes it was for the fourth time. But guess what? You don't HAVE to support him, nobody has a gun to your head saying you have to keep watching his matches. I'm not trying to sound rude...he does play a lot of heartbreaking matches and puts us fans through a lot but if you can't handle it, don't bother with him anymore.... I'll repeat whats been said, If you want to support a player that wins all the time head on over to the Nadal or Federer boards.

Richard has had a lot of disappointing results and lost a lot of matches he probably should have but its something we have to accept.. he can play beautiful sometimes and horrible the next.. that is Richard.. don't expect too much from him, just enjoy his tennis and support him. If you can't handle the losses, you don't have to bother with him anymore.
:wavey:
I like it :D:yeah:

acd692
05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't feel the need to justify his loss actually. He is the 45th ranked player and he lost to the 4th ranked player. That is what is meant to happen.

yeah i think the same.. i wasn't expecting a lot from richard, maybe with one more day of rest he would have won:rolleyes:

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Thats how I feel Vicky you just take Richard as he is. Lots of drama and beautiful shot making along with depression and misery. I guess I like the thrills and spills too much.

Now time to win the doubs instead.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Murray has never had to fight the same challenges in the past year.
Of course not, but some people will never undertand the depth of the wounds.

For those who read French, the follwing article from le monde, posted on rgnet.

I only translate the last sentence
So what did he lose in the story (meaning the "affair"]
He reflects and answers quietly the "insouciance".

Ce soir-là, attablé dans un recoin d'une pizzeria niçoise, il a des mots d'adulte. Enfin. A 23 ans, Richard Gasquet, pur talent du tennis français, a longtemps emprunté les sorties de secours. Blessures réelles ou feintes, conférences de presse pathétiques, matchs joués en dilettante. Le bagage somme toute classique, en France, d'un gosse doué qui n'a jamais eu faim. Agaçant, forcément agaçant. "En tennis, il y a tellement d'échappatoires possibles...", dit-il.

Il est attentif, disert, loin de l'image qu'il renvoie généralement. Quand les sollicitations de toutes sortes semblent tant lui peser, quand son regard lorgne vers ses chaussures ou son téléphone portable et qu'il débite quelques phrases convenues d'un ton monocorde. Non, ce soir-là, il jauge les chances de Dominique Strauss-Kahn en 2012, évalue les talents de l'équipe de France de football, raconte sa passion pour les aventures de Jack Bauer, dans la série télévisée "24 Heures chrono". Un type de 23 ans poli, réservé comme il faut, qui pose des questions et s'intéresse à la marche du monde. Bien sûr, il parle de lui, de ses envies. Engagé à l'Open de tennis de Nice, il vient de se hisser en finale. Ces temps-ci, les revers claquent, les volées sont limpides, les amorties parfaitement glissées. C'est du bon Gasquet, aujourd'hui 68e joueur mondial. Même si, parfois, on le sent encore timoré. Le mauvais Gasquet, celui qui redonne espoir à son adversaire.

Déjà se profile le tournoi de Roland-Garros, à partir du dimanche 23 mai. Il refuse de se projeter trop avant. D'autant qu'il va affronter, au premier tour, la tête de série n°4, l'Ecossais Andy Murray. "J'ai juste envie de donner du plaisir, dit-il, de me battre, de subir une bonne pression. Je n'ai pas de soucis d'image, les gens m'aiment bien. Je suis fier d'être toujours là, sur le circuit..." Saura-t-il faire face à l'engouement, un an après sa suspension, parce qu'on avait retrouvé des traces de cocaïne dans son organisme, après une soirée animée à Miami ?

Il a été blanchi, mais les séquelles demeurent. " C'est traumatisant d'aller devant les policiers. Ce n'est pas mon univers, les cabinets d'avocats, explique-t-il. Je m'en suis sorti, parce que j'étais bien entouré. Mais je ne pouvais pas tomber plus bas que j'étais..." A l'époque, il peinait à s'exprimer, confiant simplement, comme une litanie, sa volonté de se battre. Il avait le regard en biais, la mine défaite. Dix kilos en trop, le moral dans les baskets. Plus envie de sortir, de s'entraîner, la peur du regard des autres. Pour oublier, il joue au foot avec le Variétés Club de France, parvient à peine à finir une mi-temps. A l'époque, quand il joue au tennis avec Yannick Noah, c'est tout juste s'il réussit à dominer le quinquagénaire. Alors il écoute les mots de Claude Puel, l'entraîneur de l'Olympique lyonnais, ceux de Yannick Noah. Tous lui disent de s'accrocher.

A-t-il pensé un moment arrêter sa carrière ? "Ça aurait pu très mal finir, dit-il. Mais tout stopper, non. Mon entourage n'a jamais douté de moi, c'est l'essentiel." Son entourage, ce sont ses parents, son agent, Nicolas Lamperin, son mentor-entraîneur, Eric Deblicker, et son sponsor-mécène, Arnaud Lagardère. L'industriel, grand fan de tennis, s'est empressé de mettre ses experts au chevet de Richard Gasquet. Un communicant de pointe, Ramzi Khiroun, une batterie d'avocats expérimentés, Jean Veil et Marie Burguburu, une stratégie offensive qui finit par se révéler payante. En décembre 2009, le tribunal arbitral du sport admet que le joueur français a été victime d'une contamination involontaire, via une jeune femme approchée d'un peu trop près. Mais il faut reconstruire le tennisman. Et surtout l'homme. "Il a fallu que je me reconfigure le cerveau", lâche-t-il.

A 18 ans, il avait déjà failli arrêter le tennis. "Je n'avais plus d'énergie, plus de confiance, raconte-t-il, pour la première fois. Je voulais abandonner cet univers, je n'étais qu'un adolescent dans un monde d'adultes." Finalement, il fait front. Sans vraiment sortir de sa gangue. Il gagne quelques tournois, bat la référence Roger Federer, joue le Masters, se retrouve 7e mondial, amasse les dollars - 4 417 000 gagnés sur le circuit à ce jour -, mais quid du bonheur ?

Et Eric Deblicker est entré dans sa vie. Il faut les voir, ces deux-là, pour saisir leur complicité. Cela va au-delà du sport. "Je veux qu'il retrouve du plaisir, dit le coach. Qu'il aille au bout de son projet, quel qu'il soit. Richard est peu expansif et, parfois, je voudrais qu'il s'ouvre plus, qu'il se donne. Mais il est sincère, il ne triche pas."

Gasquet, c'est ce joueur qui, après une rencontre perdue, va se confesser en conférence de presse. Quitte à passer pour un loser. "Tu te couches avec des doutes, tu te lèves avec, admet le Bitterois. Bien sûr que l'on peut avoir peur sur un court...." Lui ne cache pas ses tourments, un peu comme Amélie Mauresmo. Sur un court, devant des milliers de spectateurs, cela peut vite devenir spectaculaire et agaçant, eu égard au talent du joueur. "Tu as le bras qui se crispe, tes balles deviennent plus courtes...", décrit Richard Gasquet.

Il aurait aimé naître avec un mental de conquérant, un peu comme Noah, le modèle, qui a remporté Roland Garros en 1983 malgré un coup droit de poussin. Mais cela n'a pas été le cas. "Je sais bien que je ne suis pas Rafael Nadal, je l'ai intégré, admet-il. Le tennis m'a choisi plus que je ne l'ai choisi. A aucun moment de mon enfance, je n'ai eu envie de devenir professionnel. Maintenant, je ne peux pas me plaindre d'exercer un job comme celui-là, je suis conscient de la chance que j'ai..."

Tout jeune, à même pas 10 ans, on l'a propulsé en "une" des magazines spécialisés. "Si j'avais su, j'aurais refusé tout ce cirque", dit-il aujourd'hui. Belle gueule bronzée, tennis de rêve, garçon bien élevé. Tous les canons du genre sont respectés. C'était "le" champion que la France attendait, depuis Yannick Noah. Mais il y a erreur sur la personne. "Je ne suis pas un champion, j'ai du mal à dire ce mot-là, estime Richard Gasquet. Je suis juste un très bon joueur de tennis, perméable à la critique." Et il ajoute, peut-être trop lucide sur lui-même : "Je n'ai pas d'ego." D'ailleurs, il s'estime aujourd'hui quasiment incapable de gagner un tournoi d'envergure. "Remporter un Grand Chelem, ce sera dur", prévient-il, lui qui est déjà parvenu en demi-finale, à Wimbledon.
e n'est même pas une façon de se racheter par avance de défaites. "Simplement, je ne veux pas me mentir", dit-il. Et c'est aussi le fruit d'un parcours hors norme qui incite à l'extrême lucidité. Souvent, Richard Gasquet emploie cette expression : "Tout le monde parle pour moi." Parce que tout téléspectateur s'est déjà énervé devant la vision d'un Gasquet apeuré, posté loin derrière sa ligne de fond. On a moqué son besoin d'avoir une casquette posée à l'envers sur sa chevelure, on a pesté devant son incapacité à écraser l'autre. Pourtant, il peut y avoir de la révolte en lui. Eric Deblicker se rappelle ainsi ce regard échangé à Wimbledon, en 2007, alors que l'Américain Andy Roddick malmenait son poulain en quart de finale. "J'ai lu dans ses yeux qu'il voulait lui faire mal. Et il a gagné, après un match incroyable..." Battre Roddick en cinq sets, c'est montrer qu'on existe. "De toute façon, relativise le joueur, on ne peut pas se défaire des étiquettes qu'on vous colle. Pour moi, c'est comme ça depuis toujours. La casquette ? J'en mets une quand j'ai les cheveux longs, c'est tout..."

Depuis son avènement au plus haut niveau, en 2005, d'autres joueurs français ont percé. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ou Gaël Monfils. Deux guerriers. "Mais je m'en fiche, qu'ils me bouffent le cadre de la photo, assure-t-il. Aujourd'hui, je joue pour moi, je n'ai plus rien à apporter à qui que ce soit. J'ai beaucoup souffert, je reviens de si loin, j'ai encore beaucoup de séquelles. Cela a été tellement dur de revenir sur le circuit, d'attendre le regard des autres. Nadal a été super, dans ce monde aseptisé où règne la langue de bois. Je lui dois beaucoup."

Richard Gasquet travaille comme un fou. Bosse son physique avec l'entraîneur d'athlétisme Guy Ontanon. "Il a encore besoin de bosser beaucoup plus, explique celui-ci. Il lui faut développer son goût de l'effort physique hors tennis". Il répète ses gammes avec le dur à cuire argentin Gabriel Markus, ce coach qu'il est allé chercher à l'étranger pour entendre un nouveau discours."Il voulait s'ouvrir davantage, remarque son agent, Nicolas Lamperin. Mais cette histoire l'a énormément marqué, il a encore beaucoup de réflexes d'autodéfense."

Les sponsors sont restés fidèles. Ils ont été informés en temps réel, ils ont eu accès à la procédure judiciaire. Lagardère, donc, mais aussi Lacoste, Head, Playstation ou Canal+. "Il a vraiment été seul, face à l'opinion publique, accusé d'un truc qu'il n'avait pas fait, se souvient le docteur Bernard Montalvan, médecin de la Fédération française de tennis, et confident du joueur. Il était dans la peau d'un banni. Il aurait pu craquer. Mais il a réagi avec sang-froid, a répondu à toutes les questions."

L'objectif, c'est de revenir dans les vingt premiers mondiaux. Il n'a plus rien à perdre. Il dit ne plus lire les journaux, redécouvre les joies de la routine tennistique : avion, hôtel, tournoi. "Quand j'arrêterai ma carrière, je veux pouvoir me dire que je suis allé au bout de mes possibilités".
Qu'a-t-il perdu, dans l'histoire ? Il réfléchit. "L'insouciance...", dit-il doucement.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM

Ce carrière, je veux pouvoir me dire que je suis allé au bout de mes possibilités".
Qu'a-t-il perdu, dans l'histoire ? Il réfléchit. "L'insouciance...", dit-il doucement.

He has a remarkable story really, and even more so, he making a remarkable comeback.

Good luck in doubles with Grosjean! Hopefully some further inspiration from Seb. Will be following the scoreboard in anticipation. :worship:

ImmzB
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Gasquet played great in the first 2 and half sets.
He had a BP in the 4th & 5th Set but didn't convert :(

Defiantly happy with Richie form, I'm sure he can take it to the Grass

After not recieiving the WC in Eastbourne it maybe a good idea not to play it, I know Clay matches are always more tougher but we don't want the same thing to happen again. If he does well in Queens, I don't think he needs to play Eastbourne.

*julie*
05-24-2010, 08:31 PM

This article is excellent. It gave me shivers. :lol:
Le monde = Good journalism. :)

ImmzB
05-24-2010, 08:37 PM
So who's making the Grass Court Thread??

I've stepped down lol

reggie1
05-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Puschkin, does L'insouciance mean, not caring or worrying or have I got that completely wrong? :o:

ImmzB
05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
Will he play the Doubles?

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
same meaning in English isn't it. Like not having a care in the world.

Interesting interview but I'm struggling with it a bit with the french so if anyone can do a quick summary at some stage I would love you forever.

He really doesn't like all the publicity and expectation does he.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Puschkin, does L'insouciance mean, not caring or worrying or have I got that completely wrong? :o:
:o my dictionary said that "insouciance" also exists in English. It is something like lightness, light heartedness, being at ease with oneself, it doesn't mean "not caring" according to my language knowlege. Maybe there is no direct English aquivalent. There are many in German. :o

*julie*
05-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Puschkin is right... There is the idea of lightness. Carefreeness or ingenuousness maybe?

*julie*
05-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Will he play the Doubles?

Yes he talked about it in the post match interview. He's playing with sebastien Grosjean.

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Puschkin is right... There is the idea of lightness. Carefreeness or ingenuousness maybe?

being care free is the meaning in English. So it's the same then.

I'm watching the first two sets as I missed them but my head is swimming so I might leave it for another day.

He sounds mentally ok from the pressers you posted puschkin which is a good thing.

ImmzB
05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Yes he talked about it in the post match interview. He's playing with sebastien Grosjean.

Kool

Hope he can recover for it. Most probaly will be on Wednesday/Thursday.

Schu
05-24-2010, 09:17 PM
To everyone complaining about the match today:

Those of us who didn't think it was as positive a match as others are not really complaining (at least I'm not)- just stating a fact. It's called constructive criticism and just being honest about his total performance. Any professional should be able to handle that and grow from it. That is how one gets better - learning from mistakes but you have to see the mistake before you can learn from it. I think he has had too much "It's O.K. Richie, next time you'll do better, that was good enough". Markus doesn't stike me as that kind of coach and I already sense a different attitude in Richie (even today).

I've been a Richard fan and supporting him a lot longer than many here. I support him, always have and always will unless he becomes a jerk which I can't ever see happening. And yes I've banged my head and screamed both in delight and anguish more times than I care to remember.
I fully realize he is what he is but I also know he can be more and THAT is all I hope for him.

reggie1
05-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes, my dictionary said "the cheerful feeling you have when nothing worries you, lightheartedness. I did wonder if it was along those lines but often when a French word is similar to an English one and I make assumptions that it has the same meaning, I get it hopelessly wrong!

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
Those of us who didn't think it was as positive a match as others are not really complaining (at least I'm not)- just stating a fact. It's called constructive criticism and just being honest about his total performance. Any professional should be able to handle that and grow from it. That is how one gets better - learning from mistakes but you have to see the mistake before you can learn from it. I think he has had too much "It's O.K. Richie, next time you'll do better, that was good enough". Markus doesn't stike me as that kind of coach and I already sense a different attitude in Richie (even today).

I've been a Richard fan and supporting him a lot longer than many here. I support him, always have and always will unless he becomes a jerk which I can't ever see happening. And yes I've banged my head and screamed both in delight and anguish more times than I care to remember.
I fully realize he is what he is but I also know he can be more and THAT is all I hope for him.
:hug::hug: I don't think anyone would ever say you aren't a proper Richard fan.

I don't think it was a positive match at all is a loss ever a positive thing? However I don't think it was a huge negative and I think he can take some positives from it.

acd692
05-24-2010, 09:33 PM
i'm watching the match, i wanted to see him with the red shirt again:(

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
i'm watching the match, i wanted to see him with the red shirt again:
Finally we have the ultimate match analysis. It was neither fatigue nor Murray beating Richard, it was the wrong shirt. ;)

oranges
05-24-2010, 09:43 PM
:hug::hug: I don't think anyone would ever say you aren't a proper Richard fan.

I don't think it was a positive match at all is a loss ever a positive thing? However I don't think it was a huge negative and I think he can take some positives from it.

+1 on all accounts

Cloudygirl
05-24-2010, 09:46 PM
maybe the red shirt blended better with the clay and made it harder for the opponent to see when he was creeping in on the net. ;)

I like his checked white number but like the red one more. That red shirt is pretty decent for Lacoste.

PinkFeatherBoa
05-24-2010, 09:51 PM
I love the checked shirt personally (Stan usually wears it too) but yes maybe they should make a red version?!

scmom
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Losing when you are up 2 sets to none is never a positive. But , the effort , the willingness to try until he completely could not win - that is a positive. There was no quit in him today - no giving up And from that , there is positive. The crowd cheered him and so did I .
Do I wish he had won - you bet I do . But I will not be disappointed - he gave everything he physically had today , and it did not work out .
I have read through all the interviews and articles that have been posted so far - and his attitude sounds good , and ready for more efforts in the future.
In the past 2 weeks he had moved up 23 ranking places. This is positive

That last article posted here gave me chills . I had some idea just how difficult this was , but this is such an insight into a young man that is so often misunderstood . Reading it - and seeing what this sensitive young person has been through was sad . You are so right ,Puschkin , some people will never understand how devastating and life changing the cocaine suspension was for him - but that article opened a window for those who are willing to look in.
I hope he can find success and happiness in tennis, and in life , now more than ever
Good luck in doubles and let's move on to the grass courts !

Kournikovaism
05-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Well I hope this suspension won't ruin his career forever like Chakvetadze and the robbery at her house.

Davodus
05-25-2010, 03:01 AM

I don't think much else needs to be said in reply to that post, which in my opinion was really quite rude. Of course we are fans, and we always will be. We have been for a long time, and I don't think anyone could really challenge that. But part of that is seeing negatives when there are negatives. What a lot of you need to realise is that we are not taking anythingaway from his last 2 weeks. They were amazing, fantastic weeks. Nor are we taking anything away from his hard year. But, what we saw was that the amazing tennis y'all are taking as the positive match actually put him in the position to win the match. That is what we are commenting on, that point only. He should never have lost his serve at 3-2 in the third set, so like you said Schu, I'm not gonna just pat him on the back and say it's ok that was a good attempt. He should have held his serve through to winning the match, I don't care who was on the other side of the net. At that stage, the match was his and he let it go. And to be fair, I agree with everyone that he had to win in three or he was done, so the last two sets don't even cross my mind. He had the chance to win in three though.

Of course that doesn't mean we won't support him, I find it disrespectful to suggest that we would do that.

Cloudygirl
05-25-2010, 06:20 AM
http://www.welovetennis.fr/blog-redaction-grandchelem/23213-gasquet-est-tout-tout-pres

I know this isn't the right thread but I just wanted everyone to see that he actually got some decent press for once.

Nice article.

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 06:26 AM
I know this isn't the right thread but I just wanted everyone to see that he actually got some decent press for once.
I have seen only positive articles so far, and apart from some eternal jerks, even the mood on the French discussion fora is good, where normally he gets a lot of crap.

The reconciliation with the French crowds and the positive image campaign which started with his role as a DC-sparring partner is going on. I really wonder how much Markus got involved in that.

Schu
05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
What a lot of you need to realise is that we are not taking anythingaway from his last 2 weeks. They were amazing, fantastic weeks.

Thank you :worship:. And just for the record, I did see some positives - his level of tennis is clearly back as good as ever but what was most positive to me was that he was able to walk out on a show court of the French Open after a last minute injury withdrawal two years ago and a drug suspension last year and play lights out tennis from the very first point. That to me says this sensitive guy has been able to put the suspension behind him. Perhaps we should too. He will never forget about it but he is learning to deal with it. So BRAVO to him.

And the second positive was the crowd reaction at the end. Thanks Puschkin for posting that. Hopefully this will make it easier for him to play in France and reinforce how important effort is.

NOw on to grass.

Davodus
05-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Thank you :worship:. And just for the record, I did see some positives - his level of tennis is clearly back as good as ever but what was most positive to me was that he was able to walk out on a show court of the French Open after a last minute injury withdrawal two years ago and a drug suspension last year and play lights out tennis from the very first point. That to me says this sensitive guy has been able to put the suspension behind him. Perhaps we should too. He will never forget about it but he is learning to deal with it. So BRAVO to him.

And the second positive was the crowd reaction at the end. Thanks Puschkin for posting that. Hopefully this will make it easier for him to play in France and reinforce how important effort is.

NOw on to grass.

exactly! I would good rep you again, but I can't ;)

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Thank you :worship:. And just for the record, I did see some positives - his level of tennis is clearly back as good as ever but what was most positive to me was that he was able to walk out on a show court of the French Open after a last minute injury withdrawal two years ago and a drug suspension last year and play lights out tennis from the very first point.
That's why I was less disappointed than you yesterday. :wavey: I felt exactly like that!

Didn't vlad (where is he) say once all he wants from Richard in RG is to go out and play showing decent tennis.

That's exactly what he did, apart from the fact that for the first two hours the tennis was more than decent? ;)

reggie1
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Can any of our French speakers tell us a little more about that article?. Google translate just reduces everything to comedy status with it's riddles and the article sounds serious and quite touching.

Vlad1980
05-25-2010, 04:19 PM
That's why I was less disappointed than you yesterday. :wavey: I felt exactly like that!

Didn't vlad (where is he) say once all he wants from Richard in RG is to go out and play showing decent tennis.

That's exactly what he did, apart from the fact that for the first two hours the tennis was more than decent? ;)

Hey, I am here :)
I haven't read through all the comments, but I am happy overall with his clay court season. It is the best since 2005. Richard played excellent tennis for first part of the match and already was getting tired in second set, but still prevailed because of confidence. I think in third set, he got little tight and I really hoped he would hold for 5-5, but he was one point but couldn't make it. Overall, it was his best match at RG as far as I remember. I mean, any loss from 2-0 in sets is tough to digest, but this is not as maddening as Youzhny loss or loss to Murray at W.

I just hope he takes the positives from his recent play. I hope he recovers well for grass court season where he will always have his best chances.

One of the articles I read yesterday..
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2010/05/the-tragedy-of-richard-g.html

Btw, anyone read his interview? What are his thoughts and state of mind after this match?

ImmzB
05-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Gasquet and Grosjean are not on the OOP for his Doubles 1st Round match on Wednesday.

Schu
05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Gasquet and Grosjean are not on the OOP for his Doubles 1st Round match on Wednesday.

SO NOW they give him a rest:rolleyes:

Hope he can play dubs with Seb. I think it would be fun for him and a great atmosphere. ANd hopefully awe the French crowd some more with his magic.

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Hope he can play dubs with Seb. I think it would be fun for him and a great atmosphere. ANd hopefully awe the French crowd some more with his magic.

I am almost sure he will, this is Seb's farewell match in RG and possibly from the tour and Richard knew it, So he can't retire. If Grosjean is not completely hampered by his body, they even have achance of winning it. Gael is not a genius in doubles. :p

Hey, I am here :)
:wavey:

One of the articles I read yesterday.
Though it tries to be original, it is repeating the same stuff againt, a talanted kid who can't make it. I am sick of it.

Btw, anyone read his interview? What are his thoughts and state of mind after this match?

I give you a jist, it was tough and he ran out of gas. Most interesting he would not change his Nice title for a win agianst Murray and losing 2nd or 3rd round.

To me this is very candid. He knew he would not create a miracle in RG, he went for points to improve his ranking to attack later this year, even if he does not say so.

Of course he was asked about his five set losses and analysed them in the follwing way: getting tight in Wimby against Murray and against Gonzo, getting injured against Youzhny and running out of gas yesterday, he insists that it was physical and only that.

And he expresses his pleasure of having finally delivered a good match in RG and enjoyed the crowds. Given his more than tourmented relationship with RG so far, this is what encouraged me most.

I did not see a video, so I can't judge his facial expressions, but he was even able to joke. He said something like: I played the tourney this year, I will pass the first round next year.

So my impression is good. Please don't come up with your ideas of a career-threating defeats. :p

reggie1
05-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Didn't he even have a little joke about how English is difficult for him so English with a Scottish accent is practically impossible to understand? I may have got that completely wrong bearing in mind I was Reading French!!

Cloudygirl
05-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Tignor really irritates me. I hate all the poor Richie stuff I actually think he has grown up some this year.

Yeah he does say about Andy being Scottish.

Vlad1980
05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
SO NOW they give him a rest:rolleyes:

I haven't seen him play doubles in ages, so I would love to see them placed on bigger court and maybe televise it.

Vlad1980
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Tignor really irritates me. I hate all the poor Richie stuff I actually think he has grown up some this year.

Yeah he does say about Andy being Scottish.

I think Tignor is actually likes Richard and loves to watch him play. Bodo is very different and never really liked Richard it seems.

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Can any of our French speakers tell us a little more about that article?. Google translate just reduces everything to comedy status with it's riddles and the article sounds serious and quite touching.

You mean the one from Le Monde? Unfortunately it is quite demanding and I am rather busy in the coming weeks, but you got it perfectly right: it is sensitive and touching and talks about Richard's demons without ridiculing them, no superficial "get over and done with" it, but very compassionate.

Didn't he even have a little joke about how English is difficult for him so English with a Scottish accent is practically impossible to understand?
Yep, sorry I forgot that. :)

*julie*
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM

The article is very well written with some interesting quotes of Gasquet. My english is limited but I hope my translation will be a little bit better than a babelfish one... :o I skipped some bits btw.
(Margareta & others: Feel free to correct me. ;) )

The author met him in a pizzeria in Nice saturday evening after his semi final. First, he talks about Richard's image: a talented player, who has never been hungry, who's not good in press conferences, who plays his matches in an ameutirish way... annoying in the eyes of the public opinion.

Then he describes him as talkative, eloquent, far from his image of someone bored by the numerous solicitations, always looking at his shoes or mobile phone or delivering conventional talkings in a monotonous way.

This evening, he talked about politics, about the french football team or his passion for '24 heures chrono". He shows himself polite, shy as it should be, asking questions, and being interested in what's happening in the world.

About playing RG, he said "I just want to please people, to fight, to feel a positive pressure. I have no troubles with my image. People like me. I am proud to be here, still on the tour."

About last year affair he says: "It's traumatic to deal with policemen, law offices... It's not my world. I coped with it thanks to my entourage. But I couldn't sink lower."
They also talk about his former wounds when, at the age of 18, he almost quitted tennis. "I had no more energy, no confidence. I wanted te leave this world. I was a kid in an adult world." Then, he bounced back (beating Federer, playing the masters reaching #7...) But what about hapiness?

Deblicker says: "I want him to find the pleasure back, to go at the end of his project, whatever it is. Richard isn't really effusive and I want him to open himself. But he is honest, he doesn't cheat."
After losses, Gasquet confesses himself even if it means to look like a loser. "You go to bed with doubts; you wake up with doubts. Of course you can be afraid on a tennis court. Your arm tenses up, your shots are shorter...I know I am not Rafael Nadal. I assimilated that. Tennis chose me more than I chose it" "During my childhood, I didn't want to be a tennis pro. Now, I don't complain. I am aware of how lucky I am"

About being on the cover of tennis mag at the age of 9: "If I knew I would have refused all this circus." "I am not a champion. I have some troubles to say this word. I am just a very good tennis player who is sensitive to criticism." And he adds, maybe too lucid on himself: "I have no ego". Besides, he considers himself practically unable to win a major tournament. "Winning a slam, that will be hard. It's not even a way to excuse in advance his defeats. "Simply, I don't want to fool myself".
Richard often says "People talk in my name/instead of me".Because every tv viewer has already been mad at him being frightened, standing far from the baseline, or has laughed at his need to wear a hat backward (cf. an article in l'équipe about the unfamous hat)or has been angry to see his unability to crush an opponent.

However, he can be rebellious. Deblicker remembers his win over Roddick at Wimbly: "I saw in his eyes he wanted to crush him. And he won after an incredible match." Gasquet puts things into perspective: "Getting rid of a label is impossible. For me, it has always been like this. The hat? I wear it when my hair is too long. That's all."

Regarding the success of Tsonga and Monfils, both fighters :"I don't care to get less attention. Today, I play for myself, I don't owe anything to anyone. I have suffered a lot, I come back from the brink/very far (?). I still have many sequelles. It was very hard to come back on the tour, to face what others think of me. Nadal has been great in this sterile world where stonewalling rules. I am very grateful to him".
Guy Ontamon, physical trainer :"He still needs to work more and learn the rewards of hard works outside of tennis".

As for chosing an argentine coach, Nicolas Lamperain his agent says: "He wanted to open himself. But this story really hurted him. He still has some reflexes of self protection."

His goal is now to reach the top 20. He's got nothing left to lose. He doesn't read the press anymore and he rediscovers the joys of the tennis tour. "When I will stop my career, I want to tell myslef that I've fulfilled my possibilities."
So what did he lose in the story? He reflects and answers quietly: "the insouciance".

Getta
05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
thanks so much for your translation, Julie.

it was much appreciated. :worship:

Richard Gasquet
Le tennis m'a choisi plus que je ne l'ai choisi.

De toute façon, relativise le joueur, on ne peut pas se défaire des étiquettes qu'on vous colle.

striking voicedness there.

silverwhite
05-26-2010, 12:43 AM
More of the same. Somehow, something always gets in his way in 5-setters... :help: I wonder if things would have been different if he had taken his chances earlier in the 2nd. Even taking the SP for 7-5 would have given him a big advantage serving first in the 3rd...

I'm in Shanghai now and trying hard not to think about this match :o

GasquetFan
05-26-2010, 02:01 AM
One of the articles I read yesterday..

"The tragedy of Richard G"
What a horrible headline :sad:

Puschkin
05-26-2010, 06:31 AM
The article is very well written with some interesting quotes of Gasquet. My english is limited but I hope my translation will be a little bit better than a babelfish one.
Definitely, thanks a lot. :worship:

tennisc
05-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks, Julie. It definitely makes more sense than the translation I used. I'm sure everything he has gone through has somehow made him a stronger, more mature person, realizing who his real friends are and those whom he can depend upon. I wish him the best!

reggie1
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much Julie, I really appreciate it as it must have taken you so long. Thanks too Puschkin, for your summary. What do they mean about rewards outside of tennis? Is it that he doesn't have much else other than tennis I wonder?
I never knew about him wanting to quit at 18 and the part where he says he didn't want to be a pro as a child made me feel really sad. It does make you wonder how much of his childhood he missed. I know that probably lots of pro tennis players do but it affects others more deeply.

reggie1
05-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry, I've just realised that they're talking about fitness when they talk about rewards outside of tennis  silly me!

ImmzB
05-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Gasquet & Grosjean are 3rd on Court 6.

Around 14.30 - 15.00 Local Time & 13.30 - 14.00 BST

OOP: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/schedule10.html

Cloudygirl
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
oh stuff you schedulers. Doubs are meant to be late matches :(

Mind you isn't he playing Monfils? In which case they'll prob win a round. I've seen Monfils play doubs and it was funny.

oranges
05-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Richie and Seb, a perfect BH and FH :hearts:

Puschkin
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
According to this http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100527_161357_pas-d-adieux-pour-grosjean.html Richard gave wo for the doubles due to backpain. I am :unsure: I don't think he did that just like that. :awww:

GasquetFan
05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
According to this http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100527_161357_pas-d-adieux-pour-grosjean.html Richard gave wo for the doubles due to backpain. I am :unsure: I don't think he did that just like that. :awww:

:sad: I hope it is not serious...

ImmzB
05-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Hope it's not too serious & he's ready for Queens!

reggie1
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh no, shame for Seb too.

Schu
05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
That sounds really weird - wasn't it his leg that was bothering him? and with the rain delays seems he would have waited since he was likely to not even play today. Plus I'd be surprised if he did that to Seb unless it really was hurting. With his FO withdraw record I'd get on that court unless I couldn't walk, especially since it means backing out on Seb, a sentimental favorite Frenchie.

Hope that was incorrect info but usually it's not so CRAP! hope he can get on the grass at 100% SOON. But just his luck he's finally back at a good point and gets another injury before Wimby. I'm goona look on the positive and say a precaution...

Funny I actually came here to say that www.tennischannel.com HAD his doubles match listed as one of the matches they were showing, obvouisly they haven't updated since the rain reschedule and the possible default.

Davodus
05-27-2010, 05:09 PM
That's a real shame. I don't think Richard would pull out lightly, so I hope this is nothing really serious.

Vlad1980
05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
What the hell Richard?
I guess he decided to bail on doubles and went to practice on grass.

Vlad1980
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
"The tragedy of Richard G"
What a horrible headline :sad:

But in retrospect, his career so far has been fairly tragic no? I mean I, or anyone else certainly can't call it a success so far.. I hope he is way on his way changing it, but at this point, that article realistically points out how things are at the moment. Credit to Richard for winning Nice, his biggest win of his career so far, beating top 10 player in the final and that article clearly reflects on that too. Still, even if you look at Murray, he hasn't accomplished things that people predicted and he is fairly far ahead of Richard as far as consistency and being a threat to top players. Even someone like Djokovic who has already won a slam and therefore is ahead of age group, still receives tons of criticism. Heck, it seems everyone except Nadal receives criticism at some point.

Kournikovaism
05-27-2010, 11:45 PM
This had better not be a big problem :sobbing: