For entertainment value should there be a shot clock [for the serve]? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

For entertainment value should there be a shot clock [for the serve]?

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 01:34 PM
When players serve should there be a shot clock (and shot clock violations), to force play to move faster and also it would be interesting for the fans to watch the clock?

oranges
03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
How would watching a shot clock be interesting for fans? :lol: To answer the question, no, the umpires should just enforce the rules. After a couple of point penalties, everyone would be serving within the limits in no time.

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
How would watching a shot clock be interesting for fans? :lol: To answer the question, no, the umpires should just enforce the rules. After a couple of point penalties, everyone would be serving within the limits in no time.

I watch the shot clock in basketball games, I take it for granted but if it wasn't there I'd miss it. I think the umpires are too scared to call it, so if it was public it would be better, plus the players would be more aware. I bet ratings and attendance (in America especially) would improve.

tea
03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
When players serve should there be a shot clock (and shot clock violations), to force play to move faster and also it would be interesting for the fans to watch the clock?
How exactly?:confused: Limit one point duration to N seconds? Are you a Nadal hater?

Well, if you mean the shot clock will work between the points... Are you a Nadal hater?

And I sincerely believe this topic was discussed before. Search button don't bite.:hug:

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 02:01 PM
How exactly?:confused: Limit one point duration to N seconds? Are you a Nadal hater?

Well, if you mean the shot clock will work between the points... Are you a Nadal hater?

And I sincerely believe this topic was discussed before. Search button don't bite.:hug:

If the rules are enforced then there will be less time wasted before each serve (play will move faster). And the umpires won't enforce the rules unless there is a shot clock.

My favorite player on the ATP is Rafael Nadal.

I heard there was some talk of a shot clock being used for some event, I don't remember which event, probably wasn't an ATP tour event but I heard of it somewhere.

kindling
03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I think there should be a clock. When you watch a match when the players are lagging around wasting time it gets so frustrating.

tea
03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
If the rules are enforced then there will be less time wasted before each serve (play will move faster). And the umpires won't enforce the rules unless there is a shot clock.

No, my favorite player is Nadal.

I heard there was some talk of a shot clock being used for some event, I don't remember which event, probably wasn't an ATP tour event but I heard of it somewhere.
So you realise that Nadal will be the first who would suffer from this invention.

My answer is yes, we need that clock. Yes, it would be fun. With it and making tougher medical timeouts rules it would be such a joy to watch a typical Nadal marathon match.:D

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
So you realise that Nadal will be the first who would suffer from this invention.

My answer is yes, we need that clock. Yes, it would be fun. With it and making tougher medical timeouts rules it would be such a joy to watch a typical Nadal marathon match.:D

Good glad we agree, that is great.

Jelena
03-24-2010, 02:21 PM
There is already the rule that the next point is to be started after 20 or 25 seconds, it only has to be enforced by the umpires. They should use a clock to control that and then consequently give out penalties. Unfortunately there is hardly an umpire who enforces it. (I now only remember Carlos Ramos doing that, and it's visible that Nadal plays faster when he is on the chair.)

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 02:24 PM
There is already the rule that the next point is to be started after 20 or 25 seconds, it only has to be enforced by the umpires. They should use a clock to control that and then consequently give out penalties. Unfortunately there is hardly an umpire who enforces it. (I now only remember Carlos Ramos doing that, and it's visible that Nadal plays faster when he is on the chair.)

Yeah Ramos has always been my favorite umpire, good communicator.

stebs
03-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Thing is common sense and discrepancy do play a part in tennis and whilst it is reasonable to have an enforced time limit between most points there are times when it is not. After two or three gruelling sets and a long rally players need a little longer to play the next point, it is just the way of the human body, these guys aren't superhuman. Hard to find a good system so players have to toe the line for the most part but have a little bit of room to manoevre in extraordinary circumstances. Does anyone but the most vicious haters really believe Nadal or Djokovic should've been docked points after those epic rallies deep into the third set TB in Madrid at which point they were surely taking 20+ second after a point?

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Thing is common sense and discrepancy do play a part in tennis and whilst it is reasonable to have an enforced time limit between most points there are times when it is not. After two or three gruelling sets and a long rally players need a little longer to play the next point, it is just the way of the human body, these guys aren't superhuman. Hard to find a good system so players have to toe the line for the most part but have a little bit of room to manoevre in extraordinary circumstances. Does anyone but the most vicious haters really believe Nadal or Djokovic should've been docked points after those epic rallies deep into the third set TB in Madrid at which point they were surely taking 20+ second after a point?

I agree, I think the shot clock should be turned off in the deciding set. The drama is good anyway in a deciding set, so might as well make it last longer for suspense and yes to help the players in their weakest state.

stebs
03-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree, I think the shot clock should be turned off in the deciding set. The drama is good anyway in a deciding set, so might as well make it last longer for suspense and yes to help the players in their weakest state.

That's just an extreme example though, where do you draw the line? Many times we see certain players who take their time and play long rallies (Massu, Nadal etc...) playing a first set over 60, maybe 70 minutes. In a set like this after an especially long rally these guys have very strong immidiate fatigue. The truth is there is not a way to have a black and white rule system about the time between points. It has to be up to the ump or else we are going to see a lot of ridiculous situations.

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
That's just an extreme example though, where do you draw the line? Many times we see certain players who take their time and play long rallies (Massu, Nadal etc...) playing a first set over 60, maybe 70 minutes. In a set like this after an especially long rally these guys have very strong immidiate fatigue. The truth is there is not a way to have a black and white rule system about the time between points. It has to be up to the ump or else we are going to see a lot of ridiculous situations.

In other sports the athletes play when they are extremely worn out and physically struggling. You have timeouts in some sports but they are called based on the team rather than an individual, so often you see players really struggling and not running at full pace for long periods. Surely tennis players, especially considering it is a non-contact sport, will be able to fight through fatigue....and not stand still for 25-30 seconds and play with a towel. Also, tennis players do get to sit down quite a lot anyway.

Point I'm making is, there is no rule that says a tennis player has to be at his best physically for every point. It would only lift the fitness level of tennis, and make it a more physical game. But like I said, turn the shot clock off in the deciding set, and you get the highest quality of tennis in that set, and the drawn out suspense.

tea
03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Reading you two I've got another idea. The amount of seconds you will have between the points must be floatable, and depend on the amount of shots last rally had. Bombed a service winner? You have 15 secs. Ran from left to right and back to left in a 20+ shots rally? You scored a bonus N seconds, enjoy.

Also I suggest while those seconds will tick-tack a sound signal should inform them remaining time by increasing or decreasing its frequency.

NADALbULLS
03-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Reading you two I've got another idea. The amount of seconds you will have between the points must be floatable, and depend on the amount of shots last rally had. Bombed a service winner? You have 15 secs. Ran from left to right and back to left in a 20+ shots rally? You scored a bonus N seconds, enjoy.

Also I suggest while those seconds will tick-tack a sound signal should inform them remaining time by increasing or decreasing its frequency.

Ok we can do that, as long as its made simple. Maybe just have a longer shot clock for if you've played a rally of 15+ shots. Anything under 15 shots have the regular shot clock. Nice idea.

dijus
03-24-2010, 03:35 PM

you have a point for sure, but one of reasons why Nadal and Massu sets last so long is the fact they are taking too much time between points...

Everko
03-24-2010, 03:38 PM

too complicated. This is tennis not mathematics class

stebs
03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
you have a point for sure, but one of reasons why Nadal and Massu sets last so long is the fact they are taking too much time between points...

Yes, of course. The way to combat this though is to enforce the rules as they are, give the umpires a kick up the rear end and tell them to start giving point penalties and I think people will fall into line very quickly. A systematic electronic system just isn't going to work in a practical way.

Experimentee
03-24-2010, 11:31 PM
It's a good idea if it will cause players to move faster between points. You have to admit that the system right now isn't working, as the current rule isn't being enforced. It would be interesting to see this idea being trialled, in exhibition matches so we can see if it works.