Nadal is not planning to play Madrid? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal is not planning to play Madrid?

shawshank
03-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Organizers of Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open have just shown a poster of the tournament.http://www.marca.com/2010/03/23/tenis/1269343999.html In this poster you can see Federer, Henin and... Verdasco. Does the fact that hey didn't put Nadal who is most popular player in Spain (although Nando is from Madrid) means that Nadal alredy told them that he won't play this year?
Last year this Madrid cost Rafa all the injuries. That would be great choice to skip it this year. Maybe they just don't want to announce it not to lose a lot of people who would buy tickets.
It's just a thought. I mean I can be totally wrong, but I want to know what is a common opinion...

laurie-1
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't see how Rafa cannot play it assuming its a mandatory tournament.

I bet he would love to skip it. For me, this Madrid tournament sums up the problems with Tennis. Its one tournament too many so soon before the premiere Clay tournament in the world. We already have Barcelona, Rome, Monte Carlo and others, its overkill as far as I'm concerned when it comes to clay. It seems nothing more than a money making exercise and to show off Madrid to the world; but the timing of the tournament - I don't like it.

acionescu
03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
i know he said that he knows that he has to chose between Godo and Madrid and that the decision is taken but he's gonna announce it just before the tournement starts or depending how the clay season unfolds. I think he would love to skip Madrid but I don't know if he will. And Verdasco was last year a big blue clay enthusiast and he's from Madrid and the relation between Rafa and Tiriac is not great, so here you have it, a Verdasco poster :zzz: :o

MariaV
03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Organizers of Mutua Madrilena Madrid Open have just shown a poster of the tournament.http://www.marca.com/2010/03/23/tenis/1269343999.html In this poster you can see Federer, Henin and... Verdasco. Does the fact that hey didn't put Nadal who is most popular player in Spain (although Nando is from Madrid) means that Nadal alredy told them that he won't play this year?
Last year this Madrid cost Rafa all the injuries. That would be great choice to skip it this year. Maybe they just don't want to announce it not to lose a lot of people who would buy tickets.
It's just a thought. I mean I can be totally wrong, but I want to know what is a common opinion...

Would be a VERY smart move. :yeah: At the end of last year (like Shanghai or London WTF) he finally publicly admitted that playing Madrid last year was a mistake and he kinda hinted that he might skip Madrid in 2010.

And nothing wrong with the Verdasco poster. :D :shrug:

Edit: Andreea, there's actually no way he'd skip Barcelona but it'll probably depend on his health and how many macthes he has played.

TennisOnWood
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Skip the bloody Madrid.. Barca crown will be more then enough

LEGENDOFTENNIS
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Madrid is a great tourney, I loved it last year. Had the best clay matches and had a good final/semifinal. I reckon it should be pushed back slightly though.

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Madrid clown tournament, and Nadal should have enough matches by then, so no need to play it.

Everko
03-23-2010, 02:42 PM
And every player playing Madrid breathes a massive sigh of relief

Start da Game
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
entire problem will be solved if indian wells and miami are fucked for good and montecarlo is advanced by 2 weeks........

MrChopin
03-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I agree with everyone here. Barcelona is more important than Madrid. Madrid altitude is too high. Current schedule should be scrapped. Every clay tournament spaced by a week. Rafa would win them all. Every tournament should be switched to clay. Fear the monster.

Johnny Groove
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Upgrade Barcelona to TMS status, downgrade Madrid to 500 status, and switch the tournaments on the calendar.

The only reason Nadal should play Madrid is if he loses early in Rome. Other than that, homie better skip that shit.

Everko
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Upgrade Barcelona to TMS status, downgrade Madrid to 500 status, and switch the tournaments on the calendar.

The only reason Nadal should play Madrid is if he loses early in Rome. Other than that, homie better skip that shit.

tough guy huh? Your no Nadal fan

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Barcelona will never be upgraded to TMS status because they don't want to move to a bigger venue.

tea
03-23-2010, 03:16 PM
It took him some years, but he's got a bit wiser. Damn.

Every tournament should be switched to clay.
But the whole season of clay would tire Rafito even with week spaces.:awww: I think we better make tennis a season sport which starts in April and ends in June. And those unspartan surfaces would disappear by default.

Johnny Groove
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
It took him some years, but he's got a bit wiser. Damn.

But the whole season of clay would tire Rafito even with week spaces.:awww: I think we better make tennis a season sport which starts in April and ends in June. And those unspartan surfaces would disappear by default.

The ATP needs more clay events, yes, I agree.

tough guy huh? Your no Nadal fan

Nah, can't stand the guy.

You're a bigger Nadal fan than I.

Barcelona will never be upgraded to TMS status because they don't want to move to a bigger venue.

Seems like the good of the game constantly has to take a back seat to the pursuit of $$$.

Shame.

Acer
03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Justine :worship:

tea
03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
The ATP needs more clay events, yes, I agree.

I believe they would love a couple of clay tornaments in North America and Australia.:dance:

missvarsha
03-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Seems like the good of the game constantly has to take a back seat to the pursuit of $$$.

Shame.

I know right ?
We should totally ban all sponsors and TV deals from the sport, and go back to the Amateur era when the only people who played Tennis were upper society people of leisure who could afford to sail around the world without jobs and without expectation of pay.

Too bad about those thousands of people who actually make a living off of the sport.

And while we're at it, Damn those uppity Asian countries for being willing to invest in and buy tournaments. We should totally keep them in the smaller European cities, because THAT'S HOW IT'S ALWAYS BEEN.

Persimmon
03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Nadal better not play in Madrid for his own sake. The way Madrid derailed his career in 2009 was machiavellic to say the least.:eek:

Acer
03-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Nadal better not play in Madrid for his own sake. The way Madrid derailed his career in 2009 was machiavellic to say the least.:eek:

It wasn't JUST Madrid now was it?

Persimmon
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
It wasn't JUST Madrid now was it?

Madrid was basically a trap for Nadal and he fell.

A_Skywalker
03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, he needed a little brain to skip Madrid, but he preferred to fight like tired dying warrior rather than just skip it, respect for that, no other top player would do it.

Acer
03-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Madrid was basically a trap for Nadal and he fell.

Set up by? :)

Persimmon
03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Set up by? :)

Fate.

Acer
03-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Oh.

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
please let it be true, Madrid was a truly idiotic decision last year (not to the Rotterdam level but close) and he shouldn't play it

Har-Tru
03-23-2010, 05:18 PM
It's a crap tournament anyway.

arm
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I think some of you guys are kind of missing a point, can he just skip Madrid? I might be wrong here, but I doubt it.

And altitude apart (I understand nothing about it), it's a great tournament, I saw lots of great matches there, I loved the environment, Caja Magica :hearts:, pretty much everything. I probably am not the best person to talk about it since it's the only tournament I've ever been to... but I liked everything about it. Even having the spaniards booing me for cheering for Nole in the semi. :tape::rolls:

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 05:53 PM
The altitude is irrelevant. It's a joke event and not like Nadal can't invent an injury.

propi
03-23-2010, 05:57 PM
He could always drop Barcelona and play this... I know he loves Godó Open but he should think pragmaticly, Madrid gives more points, he's already won Barcelona 5 times in a row...
Anyway, if I were him my priority would be Roland Garros, of course and then Rome, which is, along with Monte Carlo, the most prestigious clay tournament in the world :worship:

arm
03-23-2010, 06:00 PM
The altitude is irrelevant. It's a joke event and not like Nadal can't invent an injury.

Joke event or not :shrug:, I liked it enough to go back this year. And I doubt he's just going to "invent" an injury to skip a tournament played in his home country... he better not :mad:

Har-Tru
03-23-2010, 07:10 PM
The clay there is dreadful.

And Nadal wouldn't be the first one to "invent" an injury to skip a mandatory tournament. Besides I'm pretty sure he'll have some real physical problems by that time.

jonathancrane
03-23-2010, 07:15 PM
So little respect for the Tiriac slam...

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Hamburg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madrid
the latter should have stayed a fall indoor event so Hamburg could still be a MS :o

Sunset of Age
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Would be a wise decision for Rafa to skip it, I agree. I think whether or not he plays it will depend on how he's been doing in the clay tournaments before.

Hamburg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Madrid
the latter should have stayed a fall indoor event so Hamburg could still be a MS :o

Word. :yeah:

DrJules
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
They should have made Madrid voluntary and Monte Carlo compulsory.

rhinooooo
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
entire problem will be solved if indian wells and miami are fucked for good and montecarlo is advanced by 2 weeks........

Have to say, I hate IW and Miami taking a whole fucking month. Terrible timing for it to be on now, I'd be happy if they just scrapped them for the clay season, and then gave a bigger buildup for the grass.

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
IW and Miami should be played BEFORE the AO, just like the clay masters are played before RG and the US masters are played before the US Open :shrug:

rhinooooo
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Agreed. But let's not hold out hope that logic will be a factor in determining the schedules.

Puschkin
03-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Have to say, I hate IW and Miami taking a whole fucking month. Terrible timing for it to be on now, I'd be happy if they just scrapped them for the clay season, and then gave a bigger buildup for the grass.

:yeah: to both ideas:

l_mac
03-23-2010, 10:51 PM
edit: He says Madrid is still on his calendar.

Clay Death
03-23-2010, 10:53 PM
And every player playing Madrid breathes a massive sigh of relief

it all depends on what happens at monte carlo, barcelona, and rome. if he wins all 3 then he may skip madrid. he can get the doctors to provide enough reasons to skip. its not like he has great knees these days.

like action jackson says, its all about the right number of matches on clay going into paris.

monte carlo, barcelona, and rome will furnish him with the matches he needs as preparation.

Clay Death
03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Poor Rafa. He gave a really depressing interview to marca that was published today.

so spit it out.

what did have to say?

l_mac
03-23-2010, 11:10 PM
so spit it out.

what did have to say?

I decided its not relevant for this thread.

Clay Death
03-23-2010, 11:40 PM
I decided its not relevant for this thread.

i see.

well i will be interested still so you know where to find me.

DrJules
03-23-2010, 11:41 PM
IW and Miami should be played BEFORE the AO, just like the clay masters are played before RG and the US masters are played before the US Open :shrug:

Theoretically very good idea.

However, possibly there are non-tennis reasons why the event cannot be moved.

I am aware Wimbledon often consider moving to a week later when the weather is dryer and to allow 3 weeks between FO and W.

DrJules
03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
edit: He says Madrid is still on his calendar.

He would not be allowed to withdraw at this stage as it is a compulsory event.

l_mac
03-23-2010, 11:49 PM
He would not be allowed to withdraw at this stage as it is a compulsory event.

He also said it disrupts his rythmn.

Action Jackson
03-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Nadal know what preparation he needs for RG to successful, if that means skipping Madrid for whatever reason the ATP aren't going to punish him.

Topspin Forehand
03-24-2010, 01:05 AM
Nadal should skip Barcelona. Better Nadal play every other week than play 3 weeks in a row and then have an extended break.

habibko
03-24-2010, 03:21 AM

so because Nadal prefers Barcelona over Madrid it should be upgraded and the latter downgraded? makes alot of sense.

why should the whole clay season be tailored to suit one particular player? last I heard the tour had more than one player competing in each and every tournament in the clay season, if Nadal has issues keeping up with his schedule then he should fix HIS schedule or skip citing fatigue, other players/fans like the venue and tourney as it is and will show up there for it.

Johnny Groove
03-24-2010, 03:46 AM
Well, he needed a little brain to skip Madrid, but he preferred to fight like tired dying warrior rather than just skip it, respect for that, no other top player would do it.

Truth.

Now this is a good idea.

Hmmm, that idea is good in theory, but you'd have to back the AO up a few weeks. That, or try to start the events in late December. :shrug:

so because Nadal prefers Barcelona over Madrid it should be upgraded and the latter downgraded? makes alot of sense.

why should the whole clay season be tailored to suit one particular player? last I heard the tour had more than one player competing in each and every tournament in the clay season, if Nadal has issues keeping up with his schedule then he should fix HIS schedule or skip citing fatigue, other players/fans like the venue and tourney as it is and will show up there for it.

Calm down, Fed-bibko.

Barcelona has tradition, (since 1953) it's a top quality event. To be a TMS, though, the facilities need to expand, and someone told me it ain't happenin.

It's better than the Madrid circus, but Madrid makes more money.

Arkulari
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
Madrid is a shitty MS tournament, the facilities might be brand new but the clay is a sacrilege, specially in Spain

Hamburg should have stayed instead of Madrid as the third clay MS and it's easier to move Wimbledon than Barcelona, the RCTB is the Spanish Tennis Cathedral so to speak, so the tournament ain't moving, still it is considered the "Spanish Open", Madrid is just there, more points and money but less prestige :shrug:

Clay Death
03-24-2010, 04:37 AM
Nadal know what preparation he needs for RG to successful, if that means skipping Madrid for whatever reason the ATP aren't going to punish him.

affrimative. he has already said that if he is injured or too fatigued that he may have to skip it.

his knees are in bad shape. any blundering fool ought to be able to see that if they have been following the sport at all. he is still playing with great deal of pain. especially that right knee so he wont have any problem with any number of doctors saying that he needs to rest to allow it to be properly ready for the events going forward.

it is a herculean task to be able to even attempt to win monte carlo, barcelona, and rome, and then roland garros much less actually having done as many times as he has.

he has lost some of his explosive speed and some elements of that once great movement. that much is a bit too clear actually. even the players he is playing against are commenting on it.

Sunset of Age
03-24-2010, 05:11 AM
^^ I rest my case.

ALL PLAYERS LOSE at times, NOT ONE OF THEM IS SUPERMAN!!!
Jeeebus. :help:

Rafa could have well won IW if only he didn't brainfart at the time that it mattered most.

Note to CD: Rafa is a human being, not some kind of a Spartan Godsent Supernatural Being. Okay, there?

Start da Game
03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
affrimative. he has already said that if he is injured or too fatigued that he may have to skip it.

his knees are in bad shape. any blundering fool ought to be able to see that if they have been following the sport at all. he is still playing with great deal of pain. especially that right knee so he wont have any problem with any number of doctors saying that he needs to rest to allow it to be properly ready for the events going forward.

it is a herculean task to be able to even attempt to win monte carlo, barcelona, and rome, and then roland garros much less actually having done as many times as he has.

he has lost some of his explosive speed and some elements of that once great movement. that much is a bit too clear actually. even the players he is playing against are commenting on it.

now that he has opted to play both singles and doubles at miami, just for this season, only for this one season, i would like him to skip both barcelona and madrid, just to make sure that he eliminates every risk related to any little fatigue or even a slight niggle going into the french open........he has to play himself very carefully through to the FO this season simply because this FO is so vital for him.......

by skipping barcelona and madrid, he will have good spacing between all of montecarlo, rome and french open........

if he opts to play barcelona, he will most likely win it and that could possibly result in continual tennis for 3 weeks by the end of rome........that is not at all necessary for him at this juncture........

montecarlo, rome and plenty of practice hitting will be adequate preparation for the french........no need to play barcelona and madrid for this year.......

BlueSwan
03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
The best decision would be to skip Barcelona and play the three masters events, but that's not gonna happen, so skipping Madrid would be wise. Risking injury/fatigue before RG again would be unwise.

-Valhalla-
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
by skipping barcelona and madrid, he will have good spacing between all of montecarlo, rome and french open........

if he opts to play barcelona, he will most likely win it and that could possibly result in continual tennis for 3 weeks by the end of rome........that is not at all necessary for him at this juncture........

montecarlo, rome and plenty of practice hitting will be adequate preparation for the french........no need to play barcelona and madrid for this year.......

Agreed. Monte Carlo and Rome should suffice.

And if he insists on playing Barcelona and Madrid, it's likely his tendinitis will flare-up again. The end result will be tragic and he'll go down in history as a cautionary tale instead of a clay god.

Start da Game
03-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Agreed. Monte Carlo and Rome should suffice.

And if he insists on playing Barcelona and Madrid, it's likely his tendinitis will flare-up again. The end result will be tragic and he'll go down in history as a cautionary tale instead of a clay god.

yes, it's high time he got selfish........whatever he thinks and plays for the next two months should be in view of re-establishing his authority at the french open........when he wins the french, he carries that finely tuned form and great confidence to other surfaces and the chances there skyrocket........

that's why i keep saying he needs one clay title.......once he was done with the AO, rest of the events until montecarlo were always going to be insignificant to bring his game to where it once was........

tensyo
03-24-2010, 09:23 AM
If Rafa skips Madrid (very likely IMO) then Federer will skip it too. He's not going to let Rafa have an 'advantage' over him by having more rest before RG. In fact he has already planned for this by entering Estoril, he will not play 3 weeks in a row.

'Poor' Madrid will not have the top 2 players, nothing more than Tiriac deserves. Hope his face turns blue like what he is trying to do to the clay there. Nice - hope there is a surprise winner this year.

tea
03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
If Rafa skips Madrid (very likely IMO) then Federer will skip it too. He's not going to let Rafa have an 'advantage' over him by having more rest before RG. In fact he has already planned for this by entering Estoril, he will not play 3 weeks in a row.

'Poor' Madrid will not have the top 2 players, nothing more than Tiriac deserves. Hope his face turns blue like what he is trying to do to the clay there. Nice - hope there is a surprise winner this year.
I'll open you one secret. Roger cares about those tiny clay events as much as Rafito does to fastcourt indoor ones played in the very autumn.:D

Another one. You never get tired when playing ballet tennis. You're only tiring playing 3 hours moonball fests from day to day and day and day.:D

-Valhalla-
03-24-2010, 10:03 AM
You never get tired when playing ballet tennis. You're only tiring playing 3 hours moonball fests from day to day and day and day.:D

Ahhhh ... tea with yet more of her marvelous prose and brilliant insights into the game.

federersforehand
03-24-2010, 12:45 PM
could you imagine how many points fed would get if the grass season was anywhere near as big as clay. queens, halle and wimbledon are NOT enough for easily the most varied and challenging tennis surface :( :(

-Valhalla-
03-24-2010, 12:47 PM
queens, halle and wimbledon are NOT enough

+10

tea
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
could you imagine how many points fed would get if the grass season was anywhere near as big as clay. queens, halle and wimbledon are NOT enough for easily the most varied and challenging tennis surface :( :(
We could, we do. But, seriously, don't try to reach anything intelligible out of our claylovers. If Rafito were happen to born somewhat good grass player they would've sown all the european clay tennis courts with the grass in no time!

Arkulari
03-24-2010, 06:22 PM
the fact that grass season is as short as it is now isn't clay season's fault but the fact that now most of the year is played in HC

HC is what should be cut short, not clay which has been more or less the same for many years

Priam
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
It's about time they made a MS tourney on grass.