French Open stays at Roland Garros [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Open stays at Roland Garros

rocketassist
03-23-2010, 12:40 AM
If they do it, I'm done with it. History and tradition mean nothing in tennis anymore, yeah some things evolve but to take away a precious piece of tennis history is just too much.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8580652.stm

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 12:44 AM
It's a tough one as I'd like the event to stay there. At the same time they need to expand the facilities to cope with the demand.

Planning permissions, submissions and of course there is opposition to the expansion of the venue.

As long as the event stays in Paris, which it will then that is the key, as to where it's located in the city, we'll see.

tennishero
03-23-2010, 12:46 AM
thats about as likely as roddick winning another slam.

seriously though, as jackson said it doesnt really matter as long as it stays in paris.

elessar
03-23-2010, 12:53 AM
If they do it, I'm done with it. History and tradition mean nothing in tennis anymore, yeah some things evolve but to take away a precious piece of tennis history is just too much.

Why?
Do you think moving from Forrest Hills to Flushing Meadows took away from the USO?

I think it's unlikely that RG is gonna stay where it is if it can't expand but I'm less than thrilled with the locations currently suggested :o

l_mac
03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
The French Open attracts 450,000 spectators during the fortnight it takes place, but Ysern revealed that world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.

1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

Wonder what else was on the list?

Anyway, if Rogi doesn't like it, RG's days are numbered.

paseo
03-23-2010, 01:03 AM
If it were to move, we can't call it Roland Garros anymore. I always call it RG, never FO.

And what were Fed's long list of complaints about?

Forehander
03-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Too bad don't watch tennis then.

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Why?
Do you think moving from Forrest Hills to Flushing Meadows took away from the USO?

Do you think moving Wimbledon somewhere else would take away from that championship?

:retard:

elessar
03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Do you think moving Wimbledon somewhere else would take away from that championship?

:retard:
Probably the name, yes :awww:

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Probably the name, yes :awww:

You will be sorry when some young Frenchie wins the Euro-Slam! @ Disneyland Paris Open.

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:13 AM
If the tournament itself is named after a person, not a place, then couldn't it still be Roland Garros at another venue? I mean, I suppose the current venue is called RG, but couldn't the name be transferred? Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate that it being moved to another location does detract from the history and tradition of the whole event, it's just that after reading the headline I feared it might end up somewhere miles away in the provinces, at least that won't be the case.

Johnny Groove
03-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Fuck the environmentalists. Expanding where it currently is would be less damaging than constructing a new complex.

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:15 AM
If the tournament itself is named after a person, not a place, then couldn't it still be Roland Garros at another venue? I mean, I suppose the current venue is called RG, but couldn't the name be transferred? Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate that it being moved to another location does detract from the history and tradition of the whole event, it's just that after reading the headline I feared it might end up somewhere miles away in the provinces, at least that won't be the case.

Like RG II, Electric Bugaloo?

Yes, yes. I suppose that might keep the history intact.

elessar
03-23-2010, 01:25 AM
You will be sorry when some young Frenchie wins the Euro-Slam! @ Disneyland Paris Open.
That has a great ring to it, Gasquet would be a worthy winner of such a tournament :yeah:
They're currently looking at 4 different locations:

Marne-la-Vallée, east of Paris near Disneyland, it's okayish transportswise but awful place otherwise
Versailles, west of Paris much nicer for tourists (and most importantly me)
Evry-Bondoufle, in the south :spit: Fuck all to do there
Gonesse, in the north of Paris, can't get much more glamourous than that :worship:

Frankly, other than Versailles they're pretty much all dreadful places. Apparently they're inching towards it as it's much more in keeping with the image of the tourney.
Fuck the environmentalists. Expanding where it currently is would be less damaging than constructing a new complex.
The only good thing is that it would cost about 3 times as much to move to another location than to expand the current one :unsure:

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Like RG II, Electric Bugaloo?

Yes, yes. I suppose that might keep the history intact.

I never knew you were such a fan of the breakdancing genre Linda, but I can see definite opportunities for a sequel tagline to advertise the new venue. "They took away his court and his stadium.... but they couldn't take his spirit." With a suitably Spartan image of Nadal accompanying this brilliant slogan for maximum effect.

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:28 AM
I never knew you were such a fan of the breakdancing genre Linda,

I'm full of surprises :D

but I can see definite opportunities for a sequel tagline to advertise the new venue. "They took away his court and his stadium.... but they couldn't take his clay." With a suitably Spartan image of Nadal accompanying this brilliant slogan for maximum effect.

It said in the article it would take a few years for any change. Rafa's playing days will be long past. ;)

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 01:29 AM
If they moved it out of Paris or the greater Paris area, that would cause more outrage. In Melbourne, they had to move from Kooyong to the venue they have now.

Sjengster, Nadal would need Stepanek to teach him the moves though.

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Versailles would certainly be a grandiloquent setting, and perfectly in tune with tennis' established image, of course.

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm full of surprises :D

It said in the article it would take a few years for any change. Rafa's playing days will be long past. ;)

I see you preserved my initial suggestion of "clay", which I realised does lack a certain something when written in huge letters on a poster.

A full-length poster of Tomic perhaps, with the slogan "RG II: this one's worth staying up late for, Bernard!"? No, I am clutching at straws now.

elessar
03-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Versailles would certainly be a grandiloquent setting, and perfectly in tune with tennis' established image, of course.
Versailles would still be a step down grandiloquentwise to Porte d'Auteuil :o

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:36 AM
I see you preserved my initial suggestion of "clay", which I realised does lack a certain something when written in huge letters on a poster.

A full-length poster of Tomic perhaps, with the slogan "RG II: this one's worth staying up late for, Bernard!"? No, I am clutching at straws now.

More likely a provocative Dimitrov blue steeling down the lens with the tagline "RG II: Watch Grigor Lose His Shirt in The Dirt."

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Versailles would still be a step down grandiloquentwise to Porte d'Auteuil :o

Did I mean grandiloquent? I think I just meant grandiose, but my natural grandiloquence made me add some extra syllables. God, I'm on rare form tonight. :o If Federer somehow played late into his thirties he surely couldn't have any complaints there though, he could have fun visiting the palace while sporting his most regal blazer and matching manbag.

rocketassist
03-23-2010, 01:41 AM
1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

Anyway, if Rogi doesn't like it, RG's days are numbered.

Without defending him, your man was jointly responsible with him for the death of the other big Paris event.

elessar
03-23-2010, 01:41 AM
I think the earliest it could happen would be 2016, I dare not hope Roger would still be playing :hearts:

Just imagine how many king of clay jokes commies could do :drool:

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I think the earliest it could happen would be 2016, I dare not hope Roger would still be playing :hearts:

You would just love that tenderly wouldn't you?

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Without defending him, your man was jointly responsible with him for the death of the other big Paris event.

Now there's something I hope will never happen again in the future, that top players will effectively be able to hold a tournament to ransom, but I'd say there's an excellent chance of it happening again when there are a couple of big box office stars in the next generation. Ironic really, Federer and Nadal did a lot to help preserve Monte Carlo's premier status, so what they gave to a French MS with one hand, they took with another.

elessar
03-23-2010, 01:51 AM
That ridiculousness still going on about Bercy :rolleyes:
What exactly did they take from Bercy? They play whenever they're not injured or tanking exhausted and all they did was give their opinion of the court when asked about it by the TDs :awww: Seems unfair how everything gets blamed unto Roger :sad:

Now, Rafa I could see where you're coming from: he certainly got what he wanted with that pathetically slow, high bouncing court.

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
No, Federer deserves as much as the blame as Nadal in that Bercy fiasco.

stebs
03-23-2010, 02:11 AM

How do you know? If there is a hullabaloo surrounding it from that aspect and a proposed solution is to move it, I would assume it is likely that moving is in some way desirable from that perspective.

As far as the proposed move goes in general, it would be a shame historically I suppose but at the same time change is necessary in sport and traditionalists will get over it with time.

tensyo
03-23-2010, 02:57 AM
[QUOTE=l_mac;9740676]1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

/QUOTE]

1. Did not win in 2005
2. Did not win in 2006
3. Did not win in 2007
4. Got hammered in 2008
5. 2009 Finally won! Let you off this year
6. 2010 - will see. If I don't win, move RG!
7. Unfair! Nadal allowed to participate
8. Unfair! Lefthanders allowed to participate
9. Unfair! Topspin is allowed
10. Nadal should only be allowed to participate with broken knees
11. Scheduling me in a late afternoon match when my eyesight is so poor in evening light
12, (maybe this year ) Unfair! Drawing Nadal in QF or SF
:devil::devil:

tensyo
03-23-2010, 03:05 AM
What exactly did they take from Bercy? They play whenever they're not injured or tanking exhausted and all they did was give their opinion of the court when asked about it by the TDs :awww: Seems unfair how everything gets blamed unto Roger :sad:

Now, Rafa I could see where you're coming from: he certainly got what he wanted with that pathetically slow, high bouncing court.

So it is unfair to blame Federer because "all he did was give his opinion of the court when asked about it by the TDs"

but it is alright to blame Rafa because "all he did was give his opinion of the court when asked about it by the TDs" :rolleyes:

wackykid
03-23-2010, 03:06 AM

they might as well rename it as Disney Open and get the company to sponsor it... :lol: :lol:

regards,
wacky

paseo
03-23-2010, 03:35 AM
they might as well rename it as Disney Open and get the company to sponsor it... :lol: :lol:

regards,
wacky

Now, that would be hilarious. I can just see it, "Nadal, King of Disney" or "Nadal, The Disney Monster".

rocketassist
03-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Fedal acted like whiny bitches so they got rid of the only carpet TMS for a slow indoor hard one.

The history of guys like Becker, Sampras, Safin, Henman and other indoor monsters dominating the event was tarnished.

And now Federer is whining about another tournament not catering to his every whim and will probably get it changed as well.

castle007
03-23-2010, 05:11 AM
Isn't Federer the head of players' union or something like that?? Wouldn't that list of complaints be a collections of things that tennis players don't like about the tournament, and not his own list??? :confused:

tea
03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
So, Roger won it before it became a Disneyland. I think that's the only what matters. But I also fear 4 years before Roger won it, it had been a Disneyland as well. So, they may move it to it's deserved location as far as RogiGOAT already achieved his Career Slam. Go on.:wavey:

Roddickominator
03-23-2010, 05:51 AM
This is a great idea....it'd be even better if they'd get rid of all clay tournaments as well.

Start da Game
03-23-2010, 06:54 AM

ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous to even think of moving the event ........if they move the FO, it will have to bear the look of a commercial clown event like us open or aus open........i am just 24 and already fed up with all the clown events and one dimensional tennis........roland garros and wimbledon are the main reasons why i am still following the sport........

R.Federer
03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
...it wouldn't be the same :sad:

The French Open could be forced into a "heartbreaking" move away from Paris in the next few years due to problems with the infrastructure at Roland Garros. Organisers have long considered ways of extending the current stadia but these have stalled because of opposition from the public and environmentalists.
And tournament director Gilbert Ysern explained: "We have two options, make it bigger or move out.
"It would be heartbreaking to leave Paris but we have to consider it."
A final decision on whether the tournament will remain in Paris is expected during a general assembly of the French Tennis Federation scheduled for next February.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

But while the various extension plans have not been completely dismissed, organisers are now considering four possible new locations in the Paris suburbs, all over 15 kms away from the capital, including Versailles and Disneyland Paris.
"Over the last 10 years, the three other grand slam tournaments have progressed, notably in terms of infrastructure, but we haven't," Ysern added, referring to the Australian Open, Wimbledon and US Open.
"Roland Garros cannot stay the way it is."
The French Open attracts 450,000 spectators during the fortnight it takes place, but Ysern revealed that world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.
This year's French Open runs from 24 May to 6 June.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/8580652.stm

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-23-2010, 09:54 AM
shit move.. i will stop watching tennis if aussie open is moved to ASia

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous to even think of moving the event ........if they move the FO, it will have to bear the look of a commercial clown event like us open or aus open........i am just 24 and already fed up with all the clown events and one dimensional tennis........roland garros and wimbledon are the main reasons why i am still following the sport........

how are the aussie open and us-open clown events, the y are the best ones :o

-Valhalla-
03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Like Centre Court at Wimbledon, Chatrier is iconic and it oozes CHARM and HISTORY. I suspect the banksters over at BNP Paribas are behind this in some way. Just look at Arthur Ashe Stadium [EASILY the worst slam showcourt in the world] and what the banksters at JP Morgan Chase and American Express did to that. Two levels of luxury suites [for their greedy, corrupt ilk] that push the average ticketholder seated in the promenade out into STRATOSPHERIC HEIGHTS. Terrible seating and with absolutely no warmth, intimacy, or charm -- just a massive, monolithic piece of shit designed only to maximize $$$ [at the expense of fan enjoyment] and serve as a playground for the debauched.

Fucking ridiculous.

Saumon
03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
If they have to move, Versailles would be the best choice, and not just because it's 10 minutes from my parents' place.
It's the only of the 4 places suggested that has enough prestige.

Disneyland and Gonesse (I don't know about Evry) have good transports facilities but like elessar said, there's nothing else around to see. And Gonesse is next to one of the busiest airports in the world.

I wonder where they would build it in Versailles though. :scratch:

Bilbo
03-23-2010, 11:27 AM
This is a great idea....it'd be even better if they'd get rid of all clay tournaments as well.

why should they? :retard: clay is the traditional surface in europe and tennis is not an american sport.

Roddickominator
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
why should they? :retard: clay is the traditional surface in europe and tennis is not an american sport.

Clay tennis is bad tennis. Clay is a barbaric surface for a sport...it should be reserved only for poor children in areas that cannot afford real tennis courts.

Move the tournament to Los Angeles and put it on a fast hardcourt, or maybe grass.

timafi
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=l_mac;9740676]1. Haven't won it enough
2. Played on clay

/QUOTE]

1. Did not win in 2005
2. Did not win in 2006
3. Did not win in 2007
4. Got hammered in 2008
5. 2009 Finally won! Let you off this year
6. 2010 - will see. If I don't win, move RG!
7. Unfair! Nadal allowed to participate
8. Unfair! Lefthanders allowed to participate
9. Unfair! Topspin is allowed
10. Nadal should only be allowed to participate with broken knees
11. Scheduling me in a late afternoon match when my eyesight is so poor in evening light
12, (maybe this year ) Unfair! Drawing Nadal in QF or SF
:devil::devil:

looking at your flag,you are the LAST person who should talk about winning anything.don't have a great track record so stfu:rolleyes:

timafi
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Clay tennis is bad tennis. Clay is a barbaric surface for a sport...it should be reserved only for poor children in areas that cannot afford real tennis courts.

Move the tournament to Los Angeles and put it on a fast hardcourt, or maybe grass.

your guy can't even beat an AARP member in his own so-called backyard and on hard courts so shut your TRAP!:o

tkr
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM

That will be a true Mickey Mouse tournament:lol:

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
That will be a true Mickey Mouse tournament:lol:

They had an event in Orlando, that was the true MM event.

Frooty_Bazooty
03-23-2010, 02:07 PM
i think they should hold it in disneyland and have a 'mickey mouse' swing where there are a load of mickey mouse 250 tournaments (won by robredo, ferrer and davydenko) leading up to the ultimate mickey mouse grand slam in disneyland where all the players have to dress up as cartoon mascots

laurie-1
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
I've been to Roland Garros the last six years and its a tournament I love, I much prefer it Wimbledon, the atmsophere there is great and ticket prices are much more reasonable than Wimbledon, and far easier to get into Philipe Chatrier and Suzanne Lenglen courts than Centre Court and Court 1. Every year I've queued up the morning of the quarterfinals and have always got tickets for the show courts, when I say queued, I mean like, no more than 90 minutes - nothing like the queues at Wimbledon where all you get is the outside pass for £20 after queing for hours on end (I've done that many times, in the end you're just glad to get into Wimbledon!).

Last year I spoke to some of the officials there and looked at the plans they had on display for the stadium. I hope they can get the plans approved, it would be a shame to have to move - that's a very tall order indeed. I know Australia did it but thats over 20 years ago and I don't think Kooyong had around 19 courts? I stand to be corrected by any Aussies out there.

Noleta
03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
OMG i really hope not:sad:Can't imagine RG somewhere else:sad:

Certinfy
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
...world number one Roger Federer had given him a "long list of complaints" about the Paris tournament.
Oh really? :haha:

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I think Roger has complained about Bercy, not about RG, after all he even went there to practice at the MS time last year :o

Truc
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
No, he had a "long list of complaints" about RG. Especially about the lack of room and of privacy for the players during the first week.

But there's already a thread about that topic:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=159437

DrJules
03-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Probably a threat to obtain concessions.

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Roger practiced on clay outdoors in Paris in the middle of November to practice for a tourney on indoor hard :scratch:?

he said so in his FB, something about being happy to be back in the venue because of the good memories :shrug:

elessar
03-23-2010, 08:03 PM
he said so in his FB, something about being happy to be back in the venue because of the good memories :shrug:
I deleted my post because I thought you had meant during the clay season, no wonder he lost to Benneteau.

Truc
03-23-2010, 08:06 PM
He was practicing at the CNE (Centre National d'Entraînement), there are a couple of indoor hardcourts in RG for the Juniors and the French pro players when they are in Paris.

R.Federer
03-23-2010, 09:18 PM

Well you know, in his mind, he probably had 2004 won had it not been for the "very windy" conditions that only Guga could contain ...

Action Jackson
03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Will they get the Coup de Mickey Mouse for winning if it's at Euro Disney.

Swiss Mountain
03-24-2010, 02:00 AM

Imbecile; federer is the president of ATP Player Council. He speak for all the players, regroups all their complains.

yesyesok
03-24-2010, 02:44 AM
In regards to Federer's lists, only 1 person has pointed out he is head of the players union.

I'd imagine whenever a player has a complaint about a major tournament it is delivered via Federer, but cleary the facilities at the FO are worse than the other 3, so thus more complaints from everybody, and you can probably include Nadal and Djokovic in that. (It was toooooooo fast, playing like a HC!!:mad::tears:)

Arkulari
03-24-2010, 02:58 AM
http://estaticos02.marca.com/imagenes/2009/05/20/tenis/1242840986_0.jpg

Behold the future...

scoobs
09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
French Open might be saved at Roland Garros?

The French Tennis Federation (FFT) has recently been granted use of the Jean Bouin stadium, providing space for 17 courts next to Roland Garros.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9028860.stm

kooties
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
They can't do this... at least not when I haven't gotten to watch a match there yet.

Stay in RG!!!

Topspindoctor
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
What an outrage and a slap in the GOAT's face. He should totally boycott RG 2011 to show his indignation.

scoobs
09-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Am I missing something?

They're saying there's a good chance it will STAY there now...

Bilbo
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM

The French Tennis Federation (FFT) has recently been granted use of the Jean Bouin stadium, providing space for 17 courts next to Roland Garros.

as expected

bokehlicious
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
What an outrage and a slap in the GOAT's face. He should totally boycott RG 2011 to show his indignation.

For sure Fed doesn't care too much about that issue... :shrug: :hug:

timafi
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM

French players and some other important ones we won't mention have been lobbying Gachassin hard to stay.I love Gachassin;he is a rugby legend:bowdown: and understands sports and tennis and he communicates well with the French players unlike that asshole Bimes:yeah:

to finish I would like to say: I told you so:woohoo: :banana:

kooties
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
For sure Fed doesn't care too much about that issue... :shrug: :hug:

I think he would have, his legacy was cemented at RG. I would think if I were Federer that his 2009 RG would only be second to his 2003 wimbledon vicotry.

Mjau!
09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Tennis fans are too conservative! The French Open needs to grow and be modernized.

Leave the strict traditions to Wimbledon.

Orka_n
09-24-2010, 04:34 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9028860.stmGood news.

Action Jackson
09-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Good that they can expand the venue and keep it in the same area.

bjurra
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Tennis fans are too conservative! The French Open needs to grow and be modernized.

Leave the strict traditions to Wimbledon.

They can modernize and grow in Boulogne.

timafi
01-09-2011, 04:39 PM
I was on the fence before but Versailles is growing on me:speakles:

this is simply fucking fantastic :D :eek:

http://www.monversailles.com/2011/01/roland-garros-la-video-du-projet-de-versailles/

abraxas21
01-09-2011, 07:47 PM
Good that they can expand the venue and keep it in the same area.

wouldnt it be 2 different arenas?

Certinfy
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Who needs the French Open anyway? Boring MM event!

simplet
01-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I was on the fence before but Versailles is growing on me:speakles:

this is simply fucking fantastic :D :eek:

http://www.monversailles.com/2011/01/roland-garros-la-video-du-projet-de-versailles/

This is pretty impressive

ShotmaKer
01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
wouldnt it be 2 different arenas?

From what I gather it'd just be an extension using some of the greenhouses around the current site. They're planning on making some of the main courts bigger though.

simplet
01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
According to L'Equipe Versailles is looking good at the moment, and I can see why

ShotmaKer
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Versailles might actually be a good option after all. Besides, I like the fact that they're going to put a train station within the site. I hate it that stations are a bit far away from the current site.

Henry Chinaski
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I guess there's a language barrier here because the video didn't impress me one bit in the visual sense

ShotmaKer
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Main arguments :

_ Close to the Chateau de Versailles and the added value of being close to such an historic site
_ RG would be the biggest Slam as far as surface goes by 2016
_ They'll have the federation offices and the training facilities nearby
_ A green environment for a modern tournament
_ Not too far away from Paris, plus they want to put a train station within the site
_ ...

ibreak4coffee
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Who needs the French Open anyway? Boring MM event!

The French Open is the best grand slam - period. Yeah the grounds are small, but the people, services, atmosphere etc... are far better than the others (I've been to all four). I should make a small caveat that I was a ballboy at the FO for four years so maybe I'm biased but it should stay where it is for tradition sake :)

simplet
01-09-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess there's a language barrier here because the video didn't impress me one bit in the visual sense

Basically it's huge, it's cheap, it's green, there's a ton of easy access including a new train station inside the site, and it's right behing the castle in the middle of a new enormous park (there are military facilities there at the moment, probably why it looks a bit ugly in the "real" pictures).

Also it's fucking Versailles, that's pretty cool by itself

Henry Chinaski
01-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Main arguments :

_ Close to the Chateau de Versailles and the added value of being close to such an historic site
_ RG would be the biggest Slam as far as surface goes by 2016
_ They'll have the federation offices and the training facilities nearby
_ A green environment for a modern tournament
_ Not too far away from Paris, plus they want to put a train station within the site
_ ...

Basically it's huge, it's cheap, it's green, there's a ton of easy access including a new train station inside the site, and it's right behing the castle in the middle of a new enormous park (there are military facilities there at the moment, probably why it looks a bit ugly in the "real" pictures).

Also it's fucking Versailles, that's pretty cool by itself

Thanks.

I'm open to change. It's pretty clear the RG name will be staying anyway

ShotmaKer
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
The USO and the AO have changed sites in the past. Well, if it's for the better then I'm fine with RG changing site too. The current site is a bit meh in some aspects.

Action Jackson
01-10-2011, 12:24 AM
The French Open is the best grand slam - period. Yeah the grounds are small, but the people, services, atmosphere etc... are far better than the others (I've been to all four). I should make a small caveat that I was a ballboy at the FO for four years so maybe I'm biased but it should stay where it is for tradition sake :)

Certinfy is a Bieber fan, so don't take him seriously.

As for a change of venue, if it will improve the event then go for it. Sure it would be good to keep it where it is now, but it looks like it's not practical.

Pirata.
01-10-2011, 02:51 AM
The Versailles location looks great :)

Clay Death
01-10-2011, 03:09 AM
any pics of that location princess luisella?

thanks in advance if you run across some pics.

Pirata.
01-10-2011, 03:35 AM
Check out the video timafi posted:

Looks great, lots of green space, not cramped like the current location, and near a historic site.

Clay Death
01-10-2011, 05:28 AM
outstanding. thanks.

Arkulari
01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
Versailles look awesome and at this point I'm taking anything but EuroDisney :lol:

ShotmaKer
01-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Eurodisney and the other site in Sarcelles I think are just a no-no.

timafi
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Versailles look awesome and at this point I'm taking anything but EuroDisney :lol:

Versailles is so:bowdown::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts: :hearts:

Action Jackson
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Looks like it will be at RG, they agreed to expand the current venue.

scoobs
02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/9396274.stm

So they're staying at the Bois and will expand up to 13.5 hectares.

Priam
02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
That's a great move IMO. I thought they would've gone for Versailles.

Frooty_Bazooty
02-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Well according to that article, Versailles didnt even come second in the voting process! Porte d'Auteil beat Disneyland, not Versailles, in the final round :scared:

Chartreuse
02-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Well according to that article, Versailles didnt even come second in the voting process! Porte d'Auteil beat Disneyland, not Versailles, in the final round :scared:

:o

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
02-13-2011, 03:04 PM
the only ANSWER is change the french open to FAST INDOOR CARPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Har-Tru
02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
Good news that it's staying at RG.

Start da Game
02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
appreciate it, whoever was involved in this mission to protect the french open.......what is french open without roland garros?

Mungo
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
The balls at RG will be different this year, not the same balls as the rest of the european clay season. Dunlop balls will be replaced by Babolats, hope they don't make bad balls for Nadal LOL!

straitup
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Great to see...I can't imagine the French anywhere else but at RG :yeah:

born_on_clay
02-13-2011, 10:08 PM
really, good news :yeah:

Sapeod
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I couldn't care less what happens to RG. They could take it away its slam status for all I care.

Chiakifug
02-13-2011, 10:25 PM
That IWs thread didnt last long.

BlueSoul Formula
02-14-2011, 01:05 AM
I don't think the world would ahve ended had it been moved. Only would have hurt the people so tied to the past. But I also don't see the reason to move it. Greedy organizers want it moved and their wishes should never be honored.

Sapeod
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Roland Garros is the least important of the slams, so it wouldn't effect anyone if it was moved.

Roger the Dodger
02-14-2011, 07:30 PM
^^I don't visit the forum for three days and MTF grows colourful. Interesting.

FMD89
02-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Roland Garros is the least important of the slams, so it wouldn't effect anyone if it was moved.
For you maybe, but i think most players would rate it as second best(after wimbledon). US open has to be the worst grandslam.

Mungo
02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Roland Garros is the least important of the slams for my boy Murray, so it wouldn't effect me it was moved.

Now it makes sense

Sapeod
02-14-2011, 09:14 PM
For you maybe, but i think most players would rate it as second best(after wimbledon). US open has to be the worst grandslam.
No....Wimbledon is the best, then the US Open, then the Australian Open, then Roland Garros.

They should move the slam somewhere else, maybe Germany or Spain.
Now it makes sense
It has nothig to do with Murray.
3 of my other favourites do well at it: Montanes, Federer and Soderling, but still don't care about the tournament and I hope its slam status is taken away soon. Awful slam.

Mungo
02-14-2011, 09:20 PM
The only awful thing about the FO is the crowd, the rest is enjoyable to watch.

timafi
02-14-2011, 09:38 PM

you and your boy especially don't count.nofuckingbody has asked Murray for shit as far as RG is concerned:tape: but Gachassin asked everyone who count from Federer;Nadal;Djokovic and obviously the French players :D

Sapeod
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
you and your boy especially don't count.nofuckingbody has asked Murray for shit as far as RG is concerned:tape: but Gachassin asked everyone who count from Federer;Nadal;Djokovic and obviously the French players :D
I've already said my hatred of the French Open has nothing to do with Murray.....it's just a rubbish slam....I'm sure nobody will care if it's moved somewhere else. They should let another country have a go.....Germany...Spain...Poland or Italy for example....

Topspindoctor
02-15-2011, 10:46 AM

No need to hate on RG because Mugray is a joke there. If he won RG, you'd sing a different tune. RG is the best slam, btw, clay and grass is real tennis, not the hard court nonsense the tour is plagued with.

Puschkin
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
btw, clay and grass is real tennis, not the hard court nonsense the tour is plagued with.
:yeah: as long as grass is not turned into clay. :p

Blackbriar
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
I've already said my hatred of the French Open has nothing to do with Murray.....it's just a rubbish slam....I'm sure nobody will care if it's moved somewhere else. They should let another country have a go.....Germany...Spain...Poland or Italy for example....

Yeah, like Poland or Italy could finance the project. And germans have ZERO champion to build any interest about tennis, no surprise they lost their last MS. Spain is the only one, and if you look how poor the spanish youngsters are today, you can realize Nadal will be the last spaniard to win a slam before decades, so it's not hard to guess the spaniards will drop interest too in tennis after Nadal. And Nadal will be retired when a hypothetical Spain Open would be built. So spaniards would come to the stadium to see non-spanish players win. I dont think so. Paris is the best choice.

By the way, what's the purpose of keeping a slam in UK when there are ZERO slam champion, male or female? ZERO in 75 years. 75 years. That's for the delusion of Grandeur. And the AO massacre seem to point to a very long wait ahead, dont you think?

Pirao666
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
No need to hate on RG because Mugray is a joke there. If he won RG, you'd sing a different tune. RG is the best slam, btw, clay and grass is real tennis, not the hard court nonsense the tour is plagued with.

Agreed, Wimbledon and RG are the best slams, we have enough HC nonsense as it is, if anything there should be more tournaments on grass, and less on HCs.

Blackbriar
02-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Agreed, Wimbledon and RG are the best slams, we have enough HC nonsense as it is, if anything there should be more tournaments on grass, and less on HCs.

That's not very kind to Tsonga, how is he going to win anything on clay and grass?

Pirao666
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
That's not very kind to Tsonga, how is he going to win anything on clay and grass?

Well he's not winning much on HC lately either :p

afterglows
03-02-2013, 01:25 PM
The expansion project has been cancelled by the french justice.

So the construction works to expand the current site will be delayed if they find a solution or this could mean that RG will finally move from his current location.

madmax
03-02-2013, 01:30 PM
good...
move clay slam to some civilized european country please. Hearing these obnoxiously loud peasants mocking great players is embarrassing to this sport. Germany has the venues and resources to obtain clay slam rights. Do it ITF

August
04-07-2013, 02:28 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/03/01/renovation-roland-garros-blocked-by-paris-tribunal-over-residents-environmental/

Hopefully this doesn't threaten the status of French Open as a major.

I've never been there so I don't know about how necessary the expansion is, probably quite necessary, otherwise they wouldn't like to do it. But what I'd hope for would be at least a roof and floodlights for Chatrier, lights maybe for other courts too.

Johnny Groove
04-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Why not incorporate botanical garden into RG grounds?

SliceAce
04-07-2013, 02:51 AM
Good, hopefully this leads to other countries that actually care about tennis, like Spain or Argentina, a chance to bid for the 4th slam. Say what you want about the USO being a joke or England having no business hosting a slam or the AO being slower than clay now, but I've never heard of multi-millionn dollar plans being cancelled because some neighbors didn't want to ruin their garden. Govt of France is corrupt beyond repair it seems, and us international tennis fans shouldn't have to suffer for it.

hipolymer
04-07-2013, 02:53 AM
This is simply wrong. If any slam should be moved, it should clearly be the US Open. They have no respect for tennis.

supertom
04-07-2013, 03:40 AM
Why not incorporate botanical garden into RG grounds?

I thought it was part of the project.. But you also destruct some trees & some grass..
Shitting French bureaucracy. There is no point to make this decision.. :o:o

After I don't think that the position of Roland Garros is in danger.. The prestige & history of this place overcomes most of the other clay tournaments.

Sombrerero loco
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
FO will always be a slam, because of his great history...come on they wont turn their "slam condition" to another tournament, no way

coolfish1103
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Good, hopefully this leads to other countries that actually care about tennis, like Spain or Argentina, a chance to bid for the 4th slam. Say what you want about the USO being a joke or England having no business hosting a slam or the AO being slower than clay now, but I've never heard of multi-millionn dollar plans being cancelled because some neighbors didn't want to ruin their garden. Govt of France is corrupt beyond repair it seems, and us international tennis fans shouldn't have to suffer for it.

Spain? Madrid? No thanks.

They can move the slam to Roma for all I care.

dencod16
04-07-2013, 01:02 PM
THe tournament will not move out of France, though it almost looks locked that it will be moved out of Roland Garros.

Boris Franz Ecker
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
THe tournament will not move out of France, though it almost looks locked that it will be moved out of Roland Garros.

It's sure, it will move to the new Centre Rafael Nadal. Completion 2020.

link (http://www.rolandgarros.com/movement2020)

Ben D.
04-07-2013, 02:40 PM
It will stay in France, and may even be called Roland Garros if it moves out from Paris.
people hoping for a Spanish slam are truly naive. Economical state of Spain is close to 3rd world country. They have other problems right now than organizing tennis tournaments for rich lazy people.
Argentina has a chance but they will not move Madrid+Barcelona+Roma out of Europe just to please argentines and their one-slam champion who will be retired for long when the tennis center actually opens.
Germany maybe, but no tennis champion so far and many tournies already.
Italy is possible too but doubtful: economical quagmire will stop any project.

ballbasher101
04-07-2013, 02:46 PM
This is simply wrong. If any slam should be moved, it should clearly be the US Open. They have no respect for tennis.

The US open is a joke of an event. It gets worse each year. From rain to wind, the last few years have been a disaster. I wonder how bad things will be this year :crying2:. I shudder to think.

bjurra
04-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I can't believe they are not allowed to expand into a small part of the Bois de Bolougne. It is a park filled with hookers and johns, why not fill it with tennis instead.

Arkin
04-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I can't believe they are not allowed to expand into a small part of the Bois de Bolougne. It is a park filled with hookers and johns, why not fill it with tennis instead.

because it's not the federation's call... it's paris council's call and the justice ruled that the council was not well informed and the fee was too low : new vote is to come, the project isn't abandoned yet. they even pushed a project of covering the highway to get more space

Looner
04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I can't believe RG will move away from its historic venue :facepalm:. Truly stupid.

erickmartins
04-07-2013, 03:41 PM

Probably because there's a big avenue between the grounds and the Bois de Boulogne? If I'm not mistaken, they would expand east, towards Porte d'Auteuil.

It's very easy to look only from our side, and to consider stupid that they're stopping the expansion because of some "stupid botanical garden". For people living there, RG might actually be a major nuisance.

supertom
04-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Probably because there's a big avenue between the grounds and the Bois de Boulogne? If I'm not mistaken, they would expand east, towards Porte d'Auteuil.

It's very easy to look only from our side, and to consider stupid that they're stopping the expansion because of some "stupid botanical garden". For people living there, RG might actually be a major nuisance.

Roland garros is located in an isolated area. The problem is not the nuisance. This area is even really quiet.

The park is as you said the botanic garden, in the east side that has to be moved for the expansion.. I thought they reached a compromise before ecology association pursued RG.

There is certainly a possibility to expand on the highway (the "periph") but I don t know in what extent they can build a new big area with a new stadium, and before all the time to do that (it will be not 2017 for sure)

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

TigerTim
04-07-2013, 04:11 PM
The only slam left with history will be Wimbledon.

dencod16
04-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I can't believe RG will move away from its historic venue :facepalm:. Truly stupid.

ITF really has no choice, they have no flood light, the locker rooms are worse than any ATP World Tour event.

takuma
04-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I was hoping they will choose the expansion+renovation plan. Too bad it didn't work out.
Love that area of Paris and got used to Roland Garros being held there. Sad news.

bjurra
04-07-2013, 10:14 PM

I would say Wimbledon causes a lot more disturbance to locals than Roland Garros.

There is both a avenue and a motorway between the grounds and the park so that is a bit of an issue.