Who is that 18 years old player who is almost toying with Nadal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is that 18 years old player who is almost toying with Nadal?

yuri27
03-22-2010, 11:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxbiAHxRdk

:eek::eek:

oranges
03-23-2010, 12:02 AM
richie21, get a life

Certinfy
03-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Look at him now though :haha:

yuri27
03-23-2010, 12:08 AM
richie21, get a life

Who the hell is that richie21 guy many people are talking about??

oranges
03-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Who the hell is that richie21 guy many people are talking about??

There are no two people like you, give it up already

Cloudygirl
03-23-2010, 12:11 AM
richie21, get a life

that was my reaction too. Mods any chance of an ip comparison. Surely this has to be a duplicate account.

well my second reaction, my first reaction was god that video is depressing.

RIboy
03-23-2010, 12:37 AM
:lol:

Forehander
03-23-2010, 01:05 AM
:haha:

paseo
03-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Well, he used to be a good player, now he's a mug playing clown tennis and losing in 1st round of a challenger. That's who he is.

Smoke944
03-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Two extremely talented 18 year old guys in that video. Problem is, Richard legitimately might be playing worse right now, a whole 5 years later. All the while Rafa has improved every part of his game rather impressively.

l_mac
03-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Top rate disguise, richie21 :yeah:

Sunset of Age
03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Lay it off, richie21 :o

Sjengster
03-23-2010, 01:43 AM
No idea who the poster is behind the video, all I can see straight away is that they've managed to label Part 1 as Part 2 and vice versa. Makes sense though, that way you can first watch Gasquet losing the match in the third set before then being left with a better impression from his earlier play. Hmm.... it probably is richie21, actually.

JediFed
03-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Interesting. At that point in time, both were slamless.

Fiberlight1
03-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Interesting. At that point in time, both were slamless.

Nadal didn't have an MS yet :P

Richard still doesn't have one.

Arkulari
03-23-2010, 04:18 AM
*must not insert french joke here*

richie21 :spit:

rocketassist
03-23-2010, 04:35 AM
His forehand was still the liability there, it's no better than Murray's. If he had a decent forehand as good as, say, Carlos Moya he'd have the chance of slam titles.

leng jai
03-23-2010, 06:05 AM
Two extremely talented 18 year old guys in that video. Problem is, Richard legitimately might be playing worse right now, a whole 5 years later. All the while Rafa has improved every part of his game rather impressively.

No question.

maxxo
03-23-2010, 07:36 AM
No idea who the poster is behind the video, all I can see straight away is that they've managed to label Part 1 as Part 2 and vice versa. Makes sense though, that way you can first watch Gasquet losing the match in the third set before then being left with a better impression from his earlier play. Hmm.... it probably is richie21, actually.

lmao :haha::haha:

Mateya
03-23-2010, 09:33 PM
This Gasquet is good...pardon, WAS good. :spit:

Just amazing what can happen to such a talented player...is it possible that he peaked at the age of 18??? Is there any similar case anywhere in the world? :confused:

yesyesok
03-23-2010, 09:35 PM
This Gasquet is good...pardon, WAS good. :spit:

Just amazing what can happen to such a talented player...is it possible that he peaked at the age of 18??? Is there any similar case anywhere in the world? :confused:

Michael Chang.

1 GS, 17 years old.

leng jai
03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Michael Chang.

1 GS, 17 years old.

He didn't necessarily peak then, he just happened to win a GS at that age. His results after that were still excellet, unlike Gasquet bar a few flashes.

marcRD
03-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Gasquet was talked about as maybe the greatest talent the world had ever seen back then, imagine having him around challenging Nadal and Federer by now instead of Murray? Tennis would be much more fun to watch, that is for sure.

Sunset of Age
03-24-2010, 01:11 AM
Gasquet was talked about as maybe the greatest talent the world had ever seen back then, imagine having him around challenging Nadal and Federer by now instead of Murray? Tennis would be much more fun to watch, that is for sure.

Alas, it only once the more shows how bad 'overhyping' is. :o
Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

elessar
03-24-2010, 01:14 AM
Might? MIGHT? :spit:

Whoever said this is depressing is right but at least back then he was blowing leads to quality opponents :tears:
So true :awww:

marcRD
03-24-2010, 01:26 AM
That match between Murray and Gasquet in Wimbledon 2008 was kind of the turning point in both careers, Gasquet was struggling but losing beeing 2-0 serving for the match against a player he had previously never had a problem against in his favorite grand slam was just knockout on Gasquets career while Murray became another player and matured after that epic match.

star
03-24-2010, 03:00 AM
That match between Murray and Gasquet in Wimbledon 2008 was kind of the turning point in both careers, Gasquet was struggling but losing beeing 2-0 serving for the match against a player he had previously never had a problem against in his favorite grand slam was just knockout on Gasquets career while Murray became another player and matured after that epic match.

You're sure about that?

marcRD
03-24-2010, 03:10 AM
[/b]

You're sure about that?

Ofcourse epic might sound wrong when a player really was choking, but for Murray it probably was epic and I think it made him belive in himself later on, turning around a match against someone who had previously owned him and was outplaying him for 2 and a half sets.

jcempire
03-24-2010, 05:44 AM
love it

:haha:

duong
03-24-2010, 09:08 AM
mostly Gasquet lookd more energetic and fitter in that video, more confident as well.

But the technical problems he's always had, forehand, playing short, were already there.

I had watched this match (not the QF against Federer actually).

I remember that already at that moment, Nadal looked quite mature and near to something (actually he won RG that year :lol: ) whereas Gasquet looked much younger and many things to improve.

Actually Nadal also looks more energetic in that video than he does sometimes now.

duong
03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Also I remember that during the biggest part of that match, Gasquet was not at all "toying with Nadal" :

it was rather the classical image of Gasquet far from the baseline, retrieving the ball as well as he could and Nadal leading the point, the difference with later being that sometimes Gasquet played huge shots from that far from the baseline which could give him the point.

But it was clear that he couldn't always hold this way of playing :shrug:

In my opinion, what has always taken Gasquet away from the pack was his touch and arm talent in the small game and at the net : for that he had something different, and still has.

And that's also why I think that he's always been made for fast courts, with this touch and also his very effective backhand on low-bouncing balls.

But for the rest he never was a "full player" in my opinion.

To play better on slower surfaces, he really needs physical improvement.

He also should have changed his forehand when he was young, but it seems that he refused doing it :shrug:

leng jai
03-24-2010, 09:59 AM
I'll never understand how Gasquet can be hyped as being so talented when his serve and forehand are so mediocre.

Start da Game
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
even in 2005, gasquet was not as much talented as people thought.......you cannot do too much damage with just a great backhand.......

FedererBulgaria
03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
love it

marcRD
03-24-2010, 01:58 PM
I'll never understand how Gasquet can be hyped as being so talented when his serve and forehand are so mediocre.

The idea was probably that it is easier to improve your forehand and serve at 18 than your backhand, however Gasquet had little interest in working hard to improve any part of his game.

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 02:05 PM
even in 2005, gasquet was not as much talented as people thought.

The idea was probably that it is easier to improve your forehand and serve at 18 than your backhand, however Gasquet had little interest in working hard to improve any part of his game.

So he has little talent and he doesn't work. :rolleyes: But how the hell did he get to nr 7 in the world? Please elaborate.

duong
03-24-2010, 02:49 PM
So he has little talent and he doesn't work. :rolleyes: But how the hell did he get to nr 7 in the world? Please elaborate.

I don't think they mean "little talent", rather less than people said (and still suggest when saying he "toys with Nadal").

You know, about talent, Simon has even reached number 6 and people are far harsher about his talent :lol:

As for the work, I don't really know if he lacks something there. I've read some opposite words about that.

But I really do think that he's lacked passion and motivation about competitive tennis (he likes the game but liked less the tour).

And as for the work to develop his shots, I've read that when he was young, Benhabiles had been proposed to be his coach, and wanted to change his forehand, but it didn't happen.

In 2004, he even wanted to stop tennis, that's not greatly encouraging about his mental abilities for competitive tennis.

I think all that, and rate him less than some of his fans, although I think that many people are too harsh at him : he's a very good player for sure. Can often be top-20, has been top-10 once. That's good :shrug: I've heard nobody say that Youzhny was a mug :shrug: Gasquet maybe has a little bit more than Youzhny, especially more power, but people should rather expect him to be nearer from Youzhny than from Del Potro imo :shrug:

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 03:25 PM
but people should rather expect him to be nearer from Youzhny than from Del Potro imo :shrug:
If he was close to del Potro I would not watch him. ;) :p

stebs
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
As for the work, I don't really know if he lacks something there. I've read some opposite words about that.

But I really do think that he's lacked passion and motivation about competitive tennis (he likes the game but liked less the tour).
:yeah: I got this impression as well just by watching him play and some interviews over the years. He isn't uncaring about the game but he just hasn't got the best personality for the harsh world of competative sport. It's not a case of not putting in the hours on the practice court, more a case of disliking pressure and disliking the heat of on court battle.

I think all that, and rate him less than some of his fans, although I think that many people are too harsh at him : he's a very good player for sure. Can often be top-20, has been top-10 once. That's good :shrug: I've heard nobody say that Youzhny was a mug :shrug: Gasquet maybe has a little bit more than Youzhny, especially more power, but people should rather expect him to be nearer from Youzhny than from Del Potro imo :shrug:

I also agree strongly with this. I've seen many times people use Gasquet as an example of a hyped kid who never made it. This is a laughable example. Gasquet, as far as tennis players go, definately did make it. He was top 10, reached GS semi final, reached more than one AMS final, reached TMC. He was disappointing only to those who thought he would be a world beater.

In comparison with the many junior #1's who have been hyped and never even made top 100, Gasquet did pretty well.

Getta
03-24-2010, 03:39 PM

each has a different perspective. i like them both, but not together.

if i had to choose between the two, however, i'd have to be with Richie.

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
In comparison with the many junior #1's who have been hyped and never even made top 100, Gasquet did pretty well.
He has not retired yet. He an still achieve something great, but I get :mad: at the thought that all his current detractors will come out saying they have been knowing it all along. :devil:

MariaV
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Richie bashing on MTF, what else is new. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Jade Fox
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM

Never understood it myself. I guess it's because he has such a great backhand and one handed backhands are rare on the men's tour. There are people who think a player needs a big shot to get to the top but I disagree. Nowadays it's all about having a good all around game.

duong
03-24-2010, 04:33 PM

I thought I would get that kind of reaction :lol:

I also thought of saying Djokovic or Murray, but still I think I would have had this kind of reaction :lol:

What I meant was a consistent top-5 player like all these.

(I don't include Cilic among these so far, who has done nothing more than Gasquet yet)

stebs
03-24-2010, 05:03 PM
(I don't include Cilic among these so far, who has done nothing more than Gasquet yet)

Not overall achievements maybe but already Cilic has GS wins over Roddick, JMDP and Murray. Gasquet's biggest win in a GS is still that one over Roddick in Wimbledon and aside from that I can't think of another win over a good player on a big stage (meaning GS).

Whilst Cilic still has a way to go to match Gasquet's achievements (career high, AMS results etc...) I think he has already shown himself to be a threat in the biggest stage in a way Gasquet never really did other than that one win against Roddick.

duong
03-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Not overall achievements maybe but already Cilic has GS wins over Roddick, JMDP and Murray. Gasquet's biggest win in a GS is still that one over Roddick in Wimbledon and aside from that I can't think of another win over a good player on a big stage (meaning GS).

Whilst Cilic still has a way to go to match Gasquet's achievements (career high, AMS results etc...) I think he has already shown himself to be a threat in the biggest stage in a way Gasquet never really did other than that one win against Roddick.

I agree with that actually.

I rather meant that I don't put him in the same category as Djoko, Murray and Del Potro, whereas I've read many people doing it or saying that "he's more talented than Del Potro" (Del Potro still being underrated by the way : the image of the "unidimensional ballbasher" will follow him like the "pusher" for Murray :rolleyes: )

Imo, it's over-hyping although saying that in a thread about Gasquet, and the comparison with him, yes, wasn't the best one at all :o