Federer advances with a walkover? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer advances with a walkover?

Domino
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Yahoo sports reports this on their scoreboard, does anybody know why Pavel retired?

TheBoiledEgg
09-06-2004, 07:38 PM
Pavel has a herniated disc in his back :sad: :( :(

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
:rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes, they just reported it on CBS.

Tipsarevic
09-06-2004, 07:41 PM

alfonsojose
09-06-2004, 07:42 PM
:eek: herniated disc? That's really bad :sad: He's not a teenager at all. :hug:

Iheartandy&roger
09-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Yes just announced on CBS Pavel has pulled out due to injury!! Good now Agassi just has to win and i'll get to see my Federer-Agassi Quarterfinal! :D

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 07:43 PM
yea they can be bad... my mom has a permanently numb foot thanks to a herniated disc. And surgery didn't help :(

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 07:52 PM
awwww. but now i hope agassi wins--- thats gonna be a great match, at least i hope so :)

henree
09-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Federer is very lucky. But at the same time, he will be a little cold match wise going straight to the quarters this way. Against Pavel he could have given his serve and volleys a little work out. This circumstance can either hurt Fed or help him.

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Maybe Federer should play an exhibition with Henman tonight.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
henree, I do not see how it could possibly hurt him, especially with rain forecast almost every day from now on with Francis heading up there and stuff... Just give him the trophy now

dylan24
09-06-2004, 08:02 PM
federer should play vs becker or mcenroe tonight in exhibition

henree
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
They should make Venus and Davenport play their match after Justine's.

Fee
09-06-2004, 08:09 PM
they will probalby put Martina/Leander vs Maria/Max on Ashe tonight as the second match now that Federer doesn't have to play.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
they will probalby put Martina/Leander vs Maria/Max on Ashe tonight as the second match now that Federer doesn't have to play.

I bet this match will be better than Roger's would've anyway :)

Shy
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
henree, I do not see how it could possibly hurt him,
It can hurt him since he won't have a match practise for three days. The raincast is not too good for the rest of the week?

Havok
09-06-2004, 08:24 PM
Ack that sucks. Never been past the round of 16 in your whole entire career at the US Open and you finally pass through via walkover. Must suck that you weren't able to win your way throguh (which Federer would have easily done so btw). I hope Pavel recovers from this injury, he's been having a pretty good year this year and he's got finals to defend at the Paris Masters event.

Jennay
09-06-2004, 08:32 PM

Hope Pavel recovers soon. :hug:

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
It can hurt him since he won't have a match practise for three days. The raincast is not too good for the rest of the week?

Next Saturday or whenever when he's played a full match less than everyone else it won't have hurt him, I don't think three days without a match is enough to make him rusty.

Forecast is very bad
http://www.w3.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/USNY0504

Naldo I can't imagine he's upset about this lmfao...

Havok
09-06-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm sure he isn't, but I dunno it's just better imo who you get a win to advance into the quarters. it's more personally satisfying that way, well I guess for me anyways.:p

speedracer
09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
Next Saturday or whenever when he's played a full match less than everyone else it won't have hurt him..

Oh, don't worry. To get even he'll practice with Scollville baby. :devil: :lol:

LCeh
09-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I doubt this would have any effect at the outcome of the later rounds. In this case, if Roger gets to SF and beats his opponent, it probably has nothing do with the extra day's rest, more like the performance of the players during the match.

For me personally, I would have liked Roger to play tonight's match, playing in the evening, under the lights, and work on different things during a real match.

Lee
09-06-2004, 10:18 PM

You're right but according to CBS, it's opening match.

star
09-06-2004, 10:21 PM
I think you never really know how this works for a player. It could be bad that Federer hasn't been tested, and hasn't had match practice, or it could be good that he gets to rest.

My personal take on it is that at this point, it's not so important. I think Federer has always had a very good chance to win this tournament no matter what the conditions.

Deboogle!.
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
my point was not that it would help him in some obvious and explicable way, just that IF there were to be a lot of rain and IF matches were backed up so that players had to play back-to-back(-to-back?), that the one fewer match might end up helping Roger, much more than any detrimental effect another couple of days without match practice would have IMO

Dirk
09-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I much rather have the match. For one it would mean Pavel is ok and two it would mean I could tape Rogi's match. I do think lack of match practice is not a good thing but I doubt it will be a factor for him. I'm sure Rogi just had an extra long practice.

Gigan
09-06-2004, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=LCeh]... if Roger gets to SF and beats his opponent, it probably has nothing do with the extra day's rest....

For me personally" ....

Yes,
why you are so personally sensitive, man?

I wish you good luck with R.Federer...

Fedex
09-07-2004, 12:04 AM
henree, I do not see how it could possibly hurt him, especially with rain forecast almost every day from now on with Francis heading up there and stuff... Just give him the trophy now
Cant you use you're head for once. Just once, thats all I'm asking. Yes, indeed, having to play Agassi then likely Henman to follow is so easy, isnt it. And yet you dont care to notice how easy the path is for roddick to make the finals. :rolleyes: Roddick has a MUCH better chance of making the finals and winning the tournement than Federer does. He has 2 major forces standing in his way, while Roddick really has none. Thanks for the 15000 careless incorrect post by you, Bunk. :)

Dirk
09-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Hewitt is the big one and Jochiam I don't think he will beat andy or come close to it. Hrbaty could take out Henman. That match is hard to guess. Henman on hard courts isn't so tough for Rogi. The Agassi Rogi qrt is tough to call but I think the winner of that will win the title.

LCeh
09-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Yes,
why you are so personally sensitive, man?

:haha:

Havok
09-07-2004, 12:22 AM
The way henman is playing, I really don't see him as a threat to either Roger nor Andre, whomever comes out of that qf match. And Fedex you're so quick to pass Lleyton over, don't count him out. If you do, then that's a pretty dumb considering that Lleyton has finally started to look like his old self and is playing very well.

Dirk
09-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Naldo I do think that Hewitt could upset Andy...keyword is upset because on paper Andy has the tools and game to blow Hewitt off the court. That would make for a great semi but I'm not so sure about the Haas hewitt match. That could be a toss up as well. This is a great open so far on both sides.

Havok
09-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Yes I know Dirk, which is why I said overlooking Lleyton is a bit idiotic. I also agree that the Hewitt/Haas match (if in fact does go down) will be very interesting and a tough one to predict. And yes I do agree that this year's Us Open has been great on both sides of the tour.:) I just hope the rain will go away and not disturb the second week of the slam, it's been going so great so far.:)

Dirk
09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Is it going to rain tomorrow or Wednesday???????

star
09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
I'm worried about either Haas or Hewitt for Andy. :)

Although if Lleyton beats Andy, it won't be a terrible thing for me. I would love it if Lleyton took the trophy too. :)

Deboogle!.
09-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Naldo, rain IS gonna be a problem... It could start as early as tomorrow (Tuesday) afternoon :mad:

Dirk
09-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Shit. no Serena and Jennifer. When is it suppose to stop?

Daniel
09-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Go Roger