Who all among the following players will end up slam-less in their careers? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who all among the following players will end up slam-less in their careers?

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
vote as many players as you think will end up slamless and discuss.........

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Tsonga is going to win Australian open and Cilic will win 2+ slams. Tomic I think could win one, Söderling will surprise in USOPEN/Wimbledon this year or next. This really is wild speculation from my side, probably only Cilic is going to win one in that list. At some point Federer must step aside and let this players win some slams, or will he in this generation?

Murray will go slamless, another wild speculation from my side. I think he is in his peak now, at 24+ he will be all wasted and injuries will plague his career. His game allows players who are on a hot streak (they always exist in slams) to really beat the crap out of him.

Goldenoldie
03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Murray and Cilic odds on to win one or more
Soderling 50/50 chance
Tomic 10-1 against
Rest no hope no way nada

Bilbo
berdych will be hammered in this vote

Certinfy
Young, Simon and Tomic.

I feel the rest of them can win a GS, it's just each need to fix a few things with themselves...

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
berdych will be hammered in this vote
All Berdych needs is an head correction and no Federer in his way, and then who knows what u could achieve :shrug:

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Is anyone going to vote for Simon or Young to win a slam?

That would be truly silly, Young possibly wont even get past Rd3 in a slam. Simon is going downhill fast (like most pushers do) from his shortlived not too spectacular peak.

Berdych actually has the potential, if he gets thing together like Söderling did last year (Berdych is 1 year younger than Söderling, so this is the time for him).

Speed of Light
03-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Don't know about the rest, but if bad-tooth mugray wins a slam, tennis should be officially renamed "pusher vampire" sport.
But i have a feeling the holy spirit of tennis and Simon Reed will never allow such a calamity to occur.

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I am the only one to vote Murray is going to be slamless, 1 in 12 so far....

Bilbo
03-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Berdych actually has the potential, if he gets thing together like Söderling did last year (Berdych is 1 year younger than Söderling, so this is the time for him).

i hope you are just joking

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 06:12 PM

How is this joking? :rolleyes:

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:13 PM

I have seen him at his best outplay Federer and Nadal. Berdych has potential as in if everything goes his way and he gets his head together. Thomas Johansson won a grand slam, dont you remember?

If Berdych gets a good draw in lets say the Australian open he could win there. I would say he is 1/10 to win a grand slam in his career.

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I have seen him at his best outplay Federer and Nadal. Berdych has potential as in if everything goes his way and he gets his head together. Thomas Johansson won a grand slam, dont you remember?

If Berdych gets a good draw in lets say the Australian open he could win there. I would say he is 1/10 to win a grand slam in his career.Exactly, and like u said, he's only 24 atm, so he's still got a few years to have a go at it.

Speed of Light
03-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I am the only one to vote Murray is going to be slamless, 1 in 12 so far....

Hold you horses there, more votes for muggay coming up from the anti-pusher brigade of which i am a proud member...

Jomp1
03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Out of all those I'd say Cilic has the highest chance, Murray second with pretty high chances. Tomic is too early to tell, Davydenko is running out of time. Soderling in Wimbledon/USO maybe if he can avoid Federer in a draw for once. Out of the rest only Tsonga got a decent chance.

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Why isnt Nalbandian on that list? He certanly got a better shot than Simon.....

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Why isnt Nalbandian on that list? He certanly got a better shot than Simon.....

i don't think king david is interested anymore to win a slam........

marcRD
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
i don't think king david is interested anymore to win a slam........

Was he ever that interested? Does it really matter at all? I mean Marat won 2 slams without giving a shit.

Just give him Davis Cup this year and next year he will come full of confidence to the Australian Open.

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM

If Berdych gets a good draw in lets say the Australian open he could win there. I would say he is 1/10 to win a grand slam in his career.

i doubt berdych's defense........as he ages, he will get even more vulnerable in that regard........i also doubt if he really has extra offensive reserves to compensate for his lack of solid defense, to carry himself to a final first and then win a slam........besides, he is a headcase........

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Was he ever that interested? Does it really matter at all? I mean Marat won 2 slams without giving a shit.

Just give him Davis Cup this year and next year he will come full of confidence to the Australian Open.

with a little bit of luck, nalby would have matched safin.......sometimes, one victory could open the door and drive you for more and more.......i really believe that had nalby won that 03 us open, the story could have been quite different with him but that's just me........i don't see the drive in him anymore.......

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 06:50 PM
i doubt berdych's defense........as he ages, he will get even more vulnerable in that regard........i also doubt if he really has extra offensive reserves to compensate for his lack of solid defense, to carry himself to a final first and then win a slam........besides, he is a headcase........Heavily disagreed! This year already there is already a massive improvement in his defence. If anything has gone worse from a few years ago though, it has to be his serve, it's still a huge weapon but it's near fucking useless when he really needs it, and it's far too inconsistent. As for his extra offensive reserves, I think there's plenty of it, just the mind isn't letting him use it :o

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Heavily disagreed! This year already there is already a massive improvement in his defence. If anything has gone worse from a few years ago though, it has to be his serve, it's still a huge weapon but it's near fucking useless when he really needs it, and it's far too inconsistent. As for his extra offensive reserves, I think there's plenty of it, just the mind isn't letting him use it :o

he's not comfortable moving side to side and retrieving, developing an effective slice will help him there........his game is such that he likes to set up his own platform and keep firing forehands and backhands........you need much more mobility and defense than that to win a slam........for now he is good enough to reach slam quarters and maybe semis with a favorable draw.......

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
he's not comfortable moving side to side and retrieving, developing an effective slice will help him there........his game is such that he likes to set up his own platform and keep firing forehands and backhands........you need much more mobility and defense than that to win a slam........for now he is good enough to reach slam quarters and maybe semis with a favorable draw.......I agree, he needs to develop a better slice as well.

Mateya
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Thanks for this pool, I got over 10$ Vcash voting for those mugs. :)

The answer is: everyone except Muzza (and maybe Tomic, it's to early to tell.)
The rest of them are headcases or don't have what it takes - gamewise (sorry Gilles, you too :hug:).

marcRD
03-22-2010, 07:15 PM
i doubt berdych's defense........as he ages, he will get even more vulnerable in that regard........i also doubt if he really has extra offensive reserves to compensate for his lack of solid defense, to carry himself to a final first and then win a slam........besides, he is a headcase........

Söderling's defense was horrible, the last year it improved just as his mental approach to the game improved. I have heard psychologists have changed their mind about when we become mentaly mature, before they thought it was around 20 and nowadays they think our mind is only fully matured at 25-26. So Berdych is almost at that age and Söderling was there last year, I would say this year is the last chanse for Berdych to get everything going for him.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-22-2010, 07:19 PM
probably F. Gonzalez :sad: who's not in this list

fabolous
03-22-2010, 07:21 PM
I would say this year is the last chanse for Berdych to get everything going for him.
the page before you said his chance will be high at the australian open, which would be not before next year ;)

seriously, his chance is at an absolute minimum. just like simon, soderling, young. davydenko's time is running out and monfils won't win one, either. so these are my picks.

cilic and murray will win one, tsonga could win one, tomic is too young to rule him out.

Persimmon
03-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Most of them. I only can see Cilic, Murray winning.

maxxo
03-22-2010, 07:31 PM
that was easy. i just selected everyone on the list

yuri27
03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
All the french players will end up slam-less in their careers,that's their destiny.

stebs
03-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Murray and Cilic I see managin the feat but none of the others. Tsonga is probably the guy with the best hopes of the rest but I still say more unlikely than it is likely.

out_here_grindin
03-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Hey Donald Young is winning this poll

at least it's something

habibko
03-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Don't know about the rest, but if bad-tooth mugray wins a slam, tennis should be officially renamed "pusher vampire" sport.
But i have a feeling the holy spirit of tennis and Simon Reed will never allow such a calamity to occur.

strange that YOU of all posters would refer to Fed by such an honorary title :scratch:

he is doing a pretty good job at "preventing him", unlike your undisputed GOAT :lol:

superslam77
03-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Probably all but Murray and Cilic.

tea
03-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Hold you horses there, more votes for muggay coming up from the anti-pusher brigade of which i am a proud member...
Are you really a fan of Nadal? He does pushes. You gotta watch some his matches, the pics alone won't allow you to have the whole picture.:D

Who are those another 10 clowns voted for Murray? I can forgive guy never watched tennis in his life but you...

Start da Game
03-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Are you really a fan of Nadal? He does pushes.

take up ice hockey........tennis is not your thing........

tea
03-23-2010, 06:50 AM
take up ice hockey........tennis is not your thing........
If that wasn't you talking me this I would've spend a second of my life to think about your suggestion.
---
warm regards...

6-3, 7-6, 3-0 ret

duong
03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
I think Monfils is underrated in the poll : he has a real chance to win Roland-Garros especially, overall I think he has nearly as much chance as Tsonga to do it.

electronicmusic
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Tomic is way too young to be judged.

Murray will win one for sure.

leng jai
03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Hopefully Murray - it would serve as some quality comic relief.

Mario Sharapov
03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
All of them.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-23-2010, 07:55 AM
all of them except fpr tomic,murray,simon and maybe Tsonga

marcRD
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
16% think Donald Young and Gilles Simon will win a slam? I could bet my house on Donald Young not winning a slam.

leng jai
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
16% think Donald Young and Gilles Simon will win a slam? I could bet my house on Donald Young not winning a slam.

Understandable though, he just climbed the mountain that is Gineprick.

KarlyM
03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Young, Simon, Tomic, Monfils, Berdych, and Soderling.
(On second thought, I probably should have included Davydenko but maybe I'm not ready to give up on him just yet...)

The Don is currently NOT leading the poll. :eek:

tealeaves
03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Cilic wins a slam :o? OMFG

Har-Tru
03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
All except Murray and Cilic.

DualMedia
03-24-2010, 12:13 AM
bernard tomic and donald young should not even be on this poll because they are very young still.

marcRD
03-24-2010, 12:16 AM
bernard tomic and donald young should not even be on this poll because they are very young still.

Dont be tricked by his name, Young is almost 21 and cant even win challengers and qualifiers who have never won an atp match. What kind of revolution do you envision that could take him to win USOPEN in some years?

Gulbis has a better shot winning a slam than Young...

Baghdatis#1
03-24-2010, 12:27 AM
Hey Donald Young is winning this poll

at least it's something

Finally he is winning something :D
Just not what I want him to win :sad:

LocoPorElTenis
03-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Are the almost 16% who didn't vote for Simon on drugs?

DualMedia
03-24-2010, 01:03 AM
Dont be tricked by his name, Young is almost 21 and cant even win challengers and qualifiers who have never won an atp match. What kind of revolution do you envision that could take him to win USOPEN in some years?

Gulbis has a better shot winning a slam than Young...

good point , well bernard should not be on here. He is very good and he is one of the top players in his age group.

Start da Game
03-24-2010, 09:18 AM
it would be some fun if the two who are least voted in the poll would never go on to win a slam.........

i am slowly starting to believe that murray's best days might be behind him in a few months........he better be proactive and make the necessary changes fast........

orangehat
03-24-2010, 09:56 AM
everyone...

propi
03-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Everyone but Cilic and maybe Murray