Overall Thoughts on 2010 Indian Wells [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Overall Thoughts on 2010 Indian Wells

Langers
03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
What did everyone make of this years Indian Wells? Personally, after having big expectations for the years first Masters Series 1000, I was pretty disappointed. Not many great matches, with Federer/Baghdatis being the standout, and many matches that were boring, error ridden and just not overly exciting.

What can you put this down too? Top players having rust, some players out of form, lack of Del Potro/Gonzo, the conditions? For whatever reason this tournament seemed to be lacking a bit this year, anyone else agree?

marcRD
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Great, best master series in ages.

Jomp1
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Average. The level of play was bad overall, but opposed to many other I like some variety in the top. It has been pretty boring to know that either Fed, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic are going to win. Definitely more players in the mix now.

Sham Kay
03-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I have mixed emotions. On the one hand it was dissapointing to see the top players; Fed, Djoko and Muzz playing so poorly (and Nadal but only in the match he lost), while on the other hand its nice to see other players outside the top 5 step up to the plate and take advantage. The more competitive the players outside the top 5 are the better. The matches were mostly boring bar a few. Overall a decent if not spectacular event.

sanshisan
03-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Interesting how players from the former Yugo dominated IW.

Lubijcic -CH Mens - Croatia
Jankovic - CH Womens - Serbia
Zimonjic & Nestor(ovic) - Runner up Mens Doubles - Serbia (Nestor is CAN citizen but born in Belgrade)
Srebotnik - CH Womens Doubles - Slovenia

In 2008 Djokovic and Ivanovic swept the singles at IW

Despite the years of civil war in former Yugo, despite the bombing of Serbia, despite the poor economic situation, these people made it through somehow and are a dominant tennis presence. How can that be?
In the US we have everything, including a population of 300 mill.

tea
03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Wrong event from the very begining, this IW.:zzz: Seen like 5 matches overall and all were either shit or WTA but also shit. Bring the mugs on clay already, for a change.:rolleyes: On the other hand it could have been much worse had Rafitito won it, so I won't seriously complain.:cool:

petar_pan
03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Interesting how players from the former Yugo dominated IW.

Lubijcic -CH Mens - Croatia
Jankovic - CH Womens - Serbia
Zimonjic & Nestor(ovic) - Runner up Mens Doubles - Serbia (Nestor is CAN citizen but born in Belgrade)
Srebotnik - CH Womens Doubles - Slovenia

In 2008 Djokovic and Ivanovic swept the singles at IW

Despite the years of civil war in former Yugo, despite the bombing of Serbia, despite the poor economic situation, these people made it through somehow and are a dominant tennis presence. How can that be?
In the US we have everything, including a population of 300 mill.

actually in slovenia and split (mario ancic, goran ivanisevic) wasn't war. it was near to split, but actually it wasn't in split. in zagreb (karlovic) wasn't war about cilic, i think it was war in his town.
ljubicic knows what really war is.
in serbia was 2 months of war. civil buildings and people wasn't target. so that wasn't real war.
but however acievments are great, ubnormal good. but on the other hand ex-yugloslavian countries has that succes almost in every sport. so...

this mastes is beyond of average. but ljubo won, so is great really;)

Sunset of Age
03-22-2010, 01:28 PM
A welcome breath of fresh air to all those who've been complaining about tournaments becoming 'boring' because of always the same names ending up playing the latter stages of the tournament, I guess.
(with which I don't particularly agree myself, but I merely wanted to mention it as I've seen that complaint all over the place the past four-five-six years).

Level of tennis - decent, atmosphere - pretty much okay. And a very deserving winner in the end. Nothing wrong with IW this year.

sanshisan
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
in serbia was 2 months of war. civil buildings and people wasn't target. so that wasn't real war.

Serbs experienced nearly 10 years of crippling economic sanctions by UN/EU/NATO.

78 days of NATO bombing by up to 500 planes a day on Serbia is a war.

Serbs were ethnically cleansed from Croatia (Krajina)

A vicious civil war happened in Bosnia betw Serbs, Bosnians and Croats.

Serbs were ethnically cleansed from Kosovo after the NATO bombing.

It was a devastating war for Serbians of former Yugo.

So how are they doing so well in tennis? Amazing.

zeleni
03-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Average.

pica_pica
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
:sad: Disappointed in the top guys, but refreshing to see new faces in later rounds :yeah:

vn01
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Disappointing.Very bad tournament

Aaric
03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Shitty.
(Except for Robin)

Michael Bluth
03-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Dissapointed in my favorites for not doing as well as they could have or not being there (Delpo, Gonzo, Haas), but happy for Ljubicic. One-handers rule!

Geo
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Mixed feelings.

I was happy to see a surprise winner who beat 3 top players along the way. On the other hand, I was disappointed Roddick got to the final when he wasn't even playing that well :lol: I wish the other top players had been in better form too :p

Certinfy
03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Good, defo better than the BS we get in all the other MS events.

Noleta
03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Average.

Start da Game
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
useless........indian wells and miami have always been events of zero interest to me........

sierra91
03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I think it's tough for some of the guys (like Ferrer) to come from the South American clay court swing and Davis Cup to the hard courts at Indian Wells.

Best matches (at least that I went to and I had to leave last Thursday): Monaco vs. Ferrero and Robredo vs. Baggy. Wonderful getting a first row seat on a smaller outer court and seeing them up close.

petar_pan
03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Serbs experienced nearly 10 years of crippling economic sanctions by UN/EU/NATO.

78 days of NATO bombing by up to 500 planes a day on Serbia is a war.

Serbs were ethnically cleansed from Croatia (Krajina)

A vicious civil war happened in Bosnia betw Serbs, Bosnians and Croats.

Serbs were ethnically cleansed from Kosovo after the NATO bombing.

It was a devastating war for Serbians of former Yugo.

So how are they doing so well in tennis? Amazing.

what's wrong with you? i thought we are talking about ex-yugoslavian tennis, now you are talking only about serbians like i was attacked them.
i don't really see connection between djokovic,ivanovic,jankovic,zimonjic and nestor with your post.
nobody of them isn't from bosnia,croatia and kosovo. they are from belgrade. and they maybe were on academies at NATO bombing time.
it was two month of bombing, where they people in belgrade aren't threatened so that wasn't real war. real war was on kosovo. or in bosnia and croatia.only economic sanction is with real point.
results are amazing, that is true. but all of them had money for pilic's,boletieri's academies. so they had pretty much moneyfor develope, it's seems they had really good conditions.

Speed of Light
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Extremely heartbreaking to see a 50 year old bald guy serve his way to the title...
:sad: IW used to be a good event... never imagined it would come to this.

Roamed
03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
The storyline made it surprisingly great :) Would have been even better for me if Soderling had pulled out a win but reaching the semis is still good.

Orka_n
03-22-2010, 07:43 PM
The semi-finals were both crap in terms of tennis quality, but other than that I enjoyed the event. I also liked that the winner was unexpected.

croat123
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
greatest. ever. :p

Lucinda
03-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Probably wouldn't have been great watching on TV, but for the three years I've been going, it's gotten better and better in person(even though Nadal lost). This year I got to see Nadal play five times, got to see Baggy def. Federer, and got to experience some guy suffering from Tourret's get hauled out of the stands at the Robredo/Sela match by 4 security guards cussing at the top of his lungs and then dragged through the whole complex shouting and cussing the entire time. Seriously, does it get better than that? Oh, and Mohamed Lahyani gave me a tennis ball :)

Action Jackson
03-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Excellent winner but 10 day TMS events are a joke.

Kitty de Sade
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Ljubicic played some inspired tennis, but the event was a total wash without Del Potro. Robredo in the quarters didn't help either. :tape:

JolánGagó
03-23-2010, 02:08 AM
total crap.

nice upset in doubles though.

coonster14
03-23-2010, 02:30 AM
happy that rafa and lopez won the doubles. :)

but disappointed that delpo missed it (get well soon juan), nole was just mentally and physically spent after all that tennis he played in dubai and davis cup to get serbia through to the next round :bigclap:, rafa played his worst in the SF unfortunately...

full credit to ivan ljubicic though, beating three top 10 players (nole, rafa, roddick) to win his first TMS title at 31 years of age. *clap clap*.

having a surprise winner every now and then is good, so i think overall, was an "interesting" tournament :lol:

rocketassist
03-23-2010, 03:36 AM
Most tennis matches are unforced error-ridden now cause one player is always waiting for mistakes.

Glad Legenda won though, underrated player, single handedly won a DC for his country and now finally has a TMS. Done Croatia proud.

leng jai
03-23-2010, 04:52 AM
IW should be cancelled next year.

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-23-2010, 05:24 AM
average, no quality matches,all top players r out of form or injurerd. Prety much sums up the tennis year so far (shit)

Start da Game
03-23-2010, 06:29 AM
Excellent winner but 10 day TMS events are a joke.

there's no breathing space between the european clay events due to these two fucking useless 10 day hardcourt masters events........

philosophicalarf
03-23-2010, 08:54 AM
What can you put this down too? Top players having rust, some players out of form, lack of Del Potro/Gonzo, the conditions? For whatever reason this tournament seemed to be lacking a bit this year, anyone else agree?

Conditions were much the same as usual this year, although a little colder some days which probably didn't help some of the matches.

Major factor this year imo was the Davis Cup effect - a lot of them were either exhausted (physically or mentally), or suffering from the transition from clay. Djoko, Ferrer, Cilic and a bundle of others were just flat as they come.

As to the tournament overall, great tennis story for Ljubo to win in the end. Disappointed Soderling again failed to step up to the plate though - he had a huge chance to win Shanghai too (Lopez qfs, crocked Nadal waiting in sfs), and he choked there as well.

Nidhogg
03-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I was quite happy to see Robin making it deep, especially as he managed to regroup from his usual choking ways in the second set against Murray. He produced good tennis over the course of the week, and Roddick was a non-factor in the semi. Söderling was completely superior from the baseline, but since he had a bad day where his game never quite clicked he missed too often and pissed away his serve on numerous occasions. The fact that he despite that stood a chance at winning says alot about how easy it is to bully Roddick these days. Right now A-Rod plays very much like Murray, except for the fact that he is vastly superior in all serving aspects, and thus puts a different kind of pressure on most of his opponents.

Nadal continues to wilter in the key points of matches. This season I saw signs of him not being his usual self already in the Abu Dhabi exho against Söderling, and the trend has continued ever since. It shouldn't matter too much though, as he soon can get his famoos ass on clay.

And Ivan? Ivan! What a week. What a moment. What joy he expressed after winning these big matches here. Pure delight which was great to see. I was so happy for him when he got over the finish line on Sunday. Lord was he tight, but he went big and came through. :inlove:

acionescu
03-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Very deserving winner and a nice surprise even if he beat my favorite :(
Nice surprise in doubles too :)
My second favorite beat the World #1 :dance:

Very average otherwise, even crappy....

Corey Feldman
03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
shit heap

edit: now that i think of it, it was ok thx to Ljubo going on the rampage and reducing Nadal to press conf tantrums :D

TheWall
03-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Ljubicic run to the final was great, the rest, not so much.

Maybe I watched the wrong machtes in the last few years, but Indian Wells doesn't really seem to bring the best out of the top players.

I think it's because the surfaces is so slow and high bouncing, points are almost bound to end in an error.

sierra91
05-16-2010, 02:47 PM
got to experience some guy suffering from Tourret's get hauled out of the stands at the Robredo/Sela match by 4 security guards cussing at the top of his lungs and then dragged through the whole complex shouting and cussing the entire time.

Wasn't that wild? I was on the other side of the court so didn't find out what happened till afterward, but that nutcase was sure cussing loudly. Made me proud to be an American ... NOT