University Friends, are they for life? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

University Friends, are they for life?

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 12:05 AM
I've started University in September last year, and I've met a lot of nice people in my halls etc. There a group of about 12 of us who hang out, go out clubbing with each other etc. There are 1 or 2 people who I have become really good friends with, who I would call my "best mates" here at Uni. But sometimes I feel like I have two different lives, my friends at home who I have known for years and years, and then suddenly the same kind of friendships I have with them are here with a couple people and I've only been here 6 or 7 months, and they have their own total life at home where they obviously prefer to be, with their mates theyve known for long times too. Obviously I can't mix them both as they all live in different parts of the country, but do friends at University really last after it finishes?

Cloudygirl
03-22-2010, 12:20 AM
in my experience, some do some don't.

It's like any friendships. They change as you get older. I lost touch with most of my school friends pretty quickly. Kept a few close friendships which I still have. With uni, I lost touch with a few people I was close to, but the majority I've stayed in touch with and meet up with on a semi regular basis still.

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 12:26 AM

It's like any friendships. They change as you get older. I lost touch with most of my school friends pretty quickly. Kept a few close friendships which I still have. With uni, I lost touch with a few people I was close to, but the majority I've stayed in touch with and meet up with on a semi regular basis still.

So you've finished Uni now?

Cloudygirl
03-22-2010, 12:28 AM
yup - twice.

I'm more in touch with people from course number 2 but that's also because a few of them are more local to me, so easier to meet up with.

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 12:35 AM
yup - twice.

I'm more in touch with people from course number 2 but that's also because a few of them are more local to me, so easier to meet up with.

Yeah that's cool. There are just one or two people I want to stay in contact with after Uni. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this, I'm still only in my first year, but Uni is a very different and difficult environment, especially making friends.

Cloudygirl
03-22-2010, 12:36 AM
By the end of uni you might be friends with completely different people anyway. 3 years is a long time and the first few months are pretty frantic. Just enjoy it!

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 12:40 AM
True, but I doubt it will be with completely different people. Firstly because I like everyone who I'm with at the moment, I wouldn't want to be with another group of people.

Fensler
03-22-2010, 12:43 AM

This.

I've gradually lost contact with many of the people with whom I interacted in college. However, the close friends I gained during that time remain important to me to this day; I still consider them to be good friends.

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I can envision that to happen. Some people here, if I see them around the campus or in town I'd say hello, you alright ? ,and just keep walking. However there are a couple who I'd stop and chat too.

Fensler - are they ones you kept in contact with and consider "good friends" living distances away from you?

Cloudygirl
03-22-2010, 12:54 AM
I have good friends that don't even live in the same country now.

A good friend is one that you don't see for 6 months then within about 10 seconds it's like you've never been apart.

Rogieva
03-22-2010, 01:03 AM
I have good friends that don't even live in the same country now.

A good friend is one that you don't see for 6 months then within about 10 seconds it's like you've never been apart.

:yeah:

Fensler
03-22-2010, 01:18 AM
Fensler - are they ones you kept in contact with and consider "good friends" living distances away from you?

Yes. They live many hours away. We don't meet in person very often, especially now that we each have more responsibilities compared to our college days. However, we have met up occasionally, and the internet enables greater interaction beyond that.

Overall though, I have actually communicated more frequently with people whom I first met when I was in elementary and middle school - generally more so than my friends from college.

Indeed.

rocketassist
03-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Not really, I get on great with all the people at uni but wouldn't call them close friends.

Spirit_fire
03-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. Just started uni and have already met some fantastic people. But I think I'll always be closer to my school friends just because I've known them from like the age of 5 and I'm just so comfortable around them, conversation flows easily, we all know each other extremely well, trust has been established. Even if we're scattered all around the country we meet up and everything is just like before.

I haven't really experienced much of uni yet, so maybe it'll be like that with my "uni" group in the future.

Econman
03-25-2010, 12:52 PM
It depends. You may develop strong friendships with students you meet later. You may have different friends next semester. I developed strong friendships with a few students. We met in the final years of study.

Tennisleader01
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
I still have friends from the primary school, from highschool...that remained very close to me, even if we had to commute in other towns due to several reasons (work, studies etc.). I think that a true friend will remain a true friend forever, no matter when you met him; is like a member of your family...even if he is miles away from you, when you meet you feel the same familiarity as you had been feeling years ago, and you can talk as openly about any subject as you could talk years ago. :couple:

Chloe le Bopper
05-31-2010, 05:50 AM
I have friends from Uni that I lived with for four straight years, who I now haven't spoken to since we graduated. Some of them I kept in touch with, others not. It was never personal, they're all great people. It's just that sometimes your lives don't go in the same direction and you fall out of touch. On the rare occasion that I do see one of them, it's just like old times; that's comforting.

I'm still friends with a lot of the people that I grew up with; in that case, it's easier because many of them have settled in the town where we grow up, so I see them when I come home. As you noted, Uni friends tend to be more spread out, so it's harder to keep track of them all. That said, facebook and the like have made that much easier than it used to be.

I've also met a number of people in my mid to late 20's with whom I've formed very close bonds. At least a few of them are people that I think will always be in my lives, but that won't be the case with all.

People come and people go... it's just part of life. Saying goodbye never really gets easy, but at least it shows that you still care ;)

Bibberz
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Some of them I kept in touch with, others not. It was never personal, they're all great people. It's just that sometimes your lives don't go in the same direction and you fall out of touch.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5804/standbyme.jpg

"It happens sometimes. Friends come in and out of your life like busboys in a restaurant." :awww:

Har-Tru
05-31-2010, 12:33 PM

So true.

That's what happens with my uni friends. Some few of them are true friends of mine, even if we've been living far from each other for a while.

Real friends are hard to find, but when you do it doesn't matter if it's at uni or in a supermarket, that plays no role.