Federer has won more matches at Slams than in Masters since 2007 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer has won more matches at Slams than in Masters since 2007

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 04:01 PM
JennyS from TW noticed this... It's quite impressive. I guess there are 2 ways to look at this: (a) Why is Federer so good at GS or (b) why is Federer so bad (in relative terms) at MS?

He's played twice as many Masters Series events than Slams but has 11 more match wins in Slams than in Masters!

Record in Masters Series events, 2007 to the present
73-22 (.768 ) (27 tournaments played)

Record in Slams 2007-present
84-6, (.933) (13 tournaments played)

So even with the YEC thrown in, Fed still has more match wins in Slams!

Also the title count is:

Masters: 4 titles in 27 events played (2007 Cincy and Hamburg, 2009 Madrid and Cincy)
Slams: 7 titles in 13 events played.

bokehlicious
03-19-2010, 04:02 PM
MS's are MM's when you're a GOAT candidate :shrug:

tea
03-19-2010, 04:10 PM
^ Masters are rated below training sessions when you're already the GOAT.:cool:

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
03-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Fed defense force in full force

the second biggest series of events and federer isn't even top 5 for results

yes, Federer raises his game BIG TIME at the slams- yes hes that good

however, i think a LOT OF IT has to do with other players losing their nerve at the slams because of the occasion, the history, the expectations, the aura of federer

Nadal on the other hand doesn't give a shit and thererfore destroys federer in both events

if Andy murray had balls, he would have won the AO final easily

bokehlicious
03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
however, i think a LOT OF IT has to do with other players losing their nerve at the slams because of the occasion, the history, the expectations, the aura of federer

That "other players shit their pants when facing Federer" is my absolute favourite haters' argument :lol: Fed wins matches because of that while Rafa has to fight his arse off to get past those same players :( :awww:

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
what's even more telling is that even if by some miracle federer manages to win Rome and Madrid (the two MS he plans to play before RG), he'll still have more GS wins than MS wins.

petar_pan
03-19-2010, 04:27 PM
smart man

tea
03-19-2010, 04:40 PM

Am I a bad fan of this sport that I have to google everytime I want to find out the amount of MS (and former equivalent to them) events achieved by a certain player, but I have no problem remembering same stuff with Slams?:tears: Or maybe I'm like 99,5% of all tennis fans who knows MS results and any kind of H2Hs are NOTHING compared to Slams. And I've also got a feeling that those remaining 0,5% so called fans are all settled down here, on MTF.:worship:

habibko
03-19-2010, 04:43 PM
he would have never kept his GS SF streak alive if he went full-force in MS anyways, ask Djokovic in the clay season last year.

manadrainer
03-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Nadal on the other hand doesn't give a shit and thererfore destroys federer in both events

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

You're right, Nadal never shit his pants during matches... he retires before that happens. Smart guy this Rafito.

manadrainer
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
When asked about the chance of breaking Agassi's record of 17 Masters, he replied that he wasn't so much excited about that (read: he doesn't give a s**t), because Masters are recent events, so you can't compare with the legends of the sport using the Masters tournament.

He cares only about the Slams...

severus
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM

He is actually in top 2 for results in masters series. lol

Yves.
03-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Masters do not have legacy or status whatsoever...

Lleyton_
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM

:lol:

Acer
03-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Murray had enough balls to destroy Nadal at the AO

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
He is actually in top 2 for results in masters series. lol

I'm pretty sure Djokovic and Murray have had better results since 2007. I'd say he's top 4 in MS from 2007 onwards.

Persimmon
03-19-2010, 05:18 PM
The GOAT just cares about the slams and that's the right attitude if he wants to win 20 slams or whatever he can win.

A_Skywalker
03-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I cant like a player who doesnt give all his best to win in a tennis match. Thats why Rafa will always be higher than Federer for me.

bokehlicious
03-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I cant like a player who doesnt give all his best to win in a tennis match. Thats why Rafa will always be higher than Federer for me.

:lol: :awww: :hug:

paseo
03-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Murray had enough balls to destroy Nadal at the AO

That's the thing. Murray used up all his balls against Nadal, there's nothing left in the sack when he faced Fed.

Aaric
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Goat :worship:

Sri
03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
ATP should be grateful that Roger even shows up for these events. Cmon Rafa .. grind your knees some more taking 3+ hours to win every best of three-set match in a useless tournament. And in the slams when you lose, blame it on injury (or retire before you lose blaming on an injury of course!)

barbadosan
03-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Yet, at the end of the day, the number of MS will be judged overall - and he's got what? 1 behind the all-time record right now.

Agassi, with the most MS right now, and 2 more slams than Rafa, AND a career slam, isn't even in the GOAT debate... shouldn't think someone with less credentials would be surpassing Agassi there, so I guess having balls and not giving a shit isn't all there is :)

A_Skywalker
03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
:lol: :awww: :hug:

:hug: for being a fan of girlie Fed.

Tripster
03-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Sampras won 11 MM titles. The big fishes just don't care a lot about those events.

It's like winning the national cup trophy in soccer. It's a decent success, but it's not even close to the meaning of the champsionship.

Har-Tru
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Exactly. That's why he skipped DC last week: to prepare for the real Slam: IW.

DrJules
03-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Best of 5 sets vs. best of 3 sets.

luie
03-20-2010, 12:32 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzz wake me up when he meets or beats federer @ Cincy,USO or YEC, yea you know the ones that are low bouncing & doesn't take spin.;)