Nadal vs Murray: who plays more aggressive tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal vs Murray: who plays more aggressive tennis?

marcRD
03-19-2010, 02:54 PM
This might be kind of tricky, because it obviously depends on form, matchups and what kind of surface they are playing. But the way I see it the differense between Nadal and Murray is that Nadal strives to become more aggressive and does everything in his power to become more offensive minded on the tennis court even if his tennis is originally very defensive while Murray with more potential to attack is quite comfortable defending and just beeing a pusher just living on the unforced errors opponents make and really frustating them.

In the matchup Murray vs Nadal, Murray is almost every time more aggressive much because he knows he cant live on mistakes Nadal will make (that is, will never make) and also because Nadal's tennis invites Murray to attack (forehands to his strong backhand side and the weak 2nd serve).

But overall there is no doubt in my mind that Nadal is more offensive minded than Murray and is not happy to simply live by the opponents mistakes even if he gets in these kind of situations when he is unable to push his opponent around. Nadal cant control matches with flat shots so he needs a court where his spin gets a really great kick to control the points, against Berdych he was constantly attacking Berdych's second serve and all the time going down the line to Berdych's forehand side to not be in a position where Berdych is atacking crosscourt with his backhand and Nadal simply defends with looping forehands.

Murray can get really comfortable in a position where he is simply defending, Nadal on the other hand while often forced into such a position against big opponents with great twohanded backhands doesnt seem comfortable anymore to simply live by the mistakes of his opponents.

Murray got a better serve, flatter shots, greater returns and greater volleys than Nadal but all potential to be aggressive seems lost to him, I have seen interviews where he simply aknowledges that he is a pusher and makes it sound impossible to change his playing style.

ossie
03-19-2010, 02:57 PM
i think murray is more comfortable playing aggressively but most of the time they play defensively

marcRD
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
When I say "comfortable" I am talking about the mindset and not really how good they play aggressive tennis. Murray has the mindset to frustate his opponents with a megapusher game with a big 1st serve and some surprising attacking shots here and there, while Nadal has the mindset to try to get in control of rallies even if he cant hit a flat forehand and his serve is kind of weak just as his return of serve is avarage.

Vida
03-19-2010, 03:16 PM
nadal without a question.

Tutu
03-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Nadal.

Har-Tru
Nadal.

rocketassist
Murray. Especially when they play each other.

Har-Tru
03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Murray. Pretty much exclusively when they play each other.

Fixed. ;)

scoobs
03-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Nadal.

rocketassist
03-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Fixed. ;)

Only tournaments I see Nadal going for his shots at the rate the OP says are grass events and this tournament, so it's not like he's miles more aggressive. On clay he has never needed to be.

Both of them are defensive-minded and Djokovic has gone that way and even Del Potro isn't exactly a risk taker, the only one at the top of the game is Federer.

Har-Tru
03-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Only tournaments I see Nadal going for his shots at the rate the OP says are grass events and this tournament, so it's not like he's miles more aggressive. On clay he has never needed to be.

Both of them are defensive-minded and Djokovic has gone that way and even Del Potro isn't exactly a risk taker, the only one at the top of the game is Federer.

The problem is Nadal's shots look more defensive on paper, Murray's are more traditional with less topspin. But Nadal goes for his shots a lot more often than Murray does. Just counting the times he goes for that winning DTL FH... and that's not counting the times he gets tired of hitting backhands and whacks it CC.

Both are very defensive-minded players, but Nadal is clearly the more "aggressive" of the two.

I agree on the current trend of tennis.

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Nadal by miles.

I have noticed that Nadal has became a lot more agressive in the past 2 years or so.

tea
03-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Nadal plays tennis of one and the same pattern. Murray plays various tennis, in which aggression is an option. Nadal genetically unable to attack, but some people think otherwise impressed by overpowered and overspinned moonballs that this player performs. On scale of 1-10, where 1 is full defence and 10 is full attack, Murray is able to play 2-9, Nadal 1-5. IMO.

jonas
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Nadal.

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Nadal plays tennis of one and the same pattern. Murray plays various tennis, in which aggression is an option. Nadal genetically unable to attack, but some people think otherwise impressed by overpowered and overspinned moonballs that this player performs. On scale of 1-10, where 1 is full defence and 10 is full attack, Murray is able to play 2-9, Nadal 1-5. IMO.

well, my take on that is that murray definitely has more shots than nadal but he prefers to play defensively most of the time because he probably feels more comfortable that way. Nadal on the other hand is more stable in his shot selection because his arsenal isn't quite as big but he does try to be more agressive most of the time.

That said, tennis is about match-ups and with some players Nadal is a lot more defensive than with others. With Federer Nadal tends to rely a lot more on his topspin defensive shots than with other players. On the other hand, with Berdych for example, he tends to be more aggresive probably because he doesn't want an agressive flat-hitter to take the initiative and make him run around the court to win a point.

Okonsky
03-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Nadal.

Ibracadabra
03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
you don't win 6 slams playing like murray.

McAlistar
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Murrays only agressive when he needs to be. He wins most of his matches playing in a conservative comfort zone so why change it. Rafa has naturally defensive shots, such as that crappy scooped backhand which lands half way up the court but he does go for the dtl shots more than Murray, especially under pressure. Tough call, when they play each other its Murray whos more agressive, he also has about 10mph more on serve but in a general matchup id expect Nadal to hit more forehand winners. Pretty much 50/50 id say.

Mateya
03-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Muzza is capable of playing very aggressive tennis, but seldom chooses to. Rafa's level of aggression depends on the surface - the faster it is, more aggressive he will be...and of course it depends on his opponent and what he has to offer.

So it's a bit tricky to say, but my vote goes to Rafzilla with his ultra top spin forehand. :rocker2:

habibko
03-19-2010, 04:41 PM
each player against the tour: Nadal.

when they play each other: Murray.

Murray is capable of playing much more aggressively than Nadal ever played, when did Nadal ever play as aggressively as Murray played him in AO? never.

Guga_fan
03-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Obviously Nadal.

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 04:48 PM
This is a no-brainer. Nadal is easily one of the most aggressive [and intelligent] baseliners ever to play the game, but more importantly, he has the more aggressive mindset along with the killer instinct and massive cojones.

As for the Scottish dolt, we do know this -- when put under intense scrutiny on the biggest stages and the brightest lights, he shits his pants.

6 GS >> 0 GS

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Nadal genetically unable to attack, but some people think otherwise impressed by overpowered and overspinned moonballs that this player performs.

http://www.rogueburners.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/Dark/facepalm.gif Fucking retarded assessment.

Vida
03-19-2010, 04:54 PM
each player against the tour: Nadal.

when they play each other: Murray.

Murray is capable of playing much more aggressively than Nadal ever played, when did Nadal ever play as aggressively as Murray played him in AO? never.

nadal in RG 08 was incredibly aggressive. more than murray ever was.

rocketassist
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
nadal in RG 08 was incredibly aggressive. more than murray ever was.

The most overrated, overhyped slam victory of all time- every opponent bar Fakervic just self-destructed with 60+ unforced errors, not exactly Nadal hitting them off court :haha:

Persimmon
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Nadal.

Noleta
03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Rafa.

nanoman
03-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Nadal. He has one trick. Moonball CC Forehands. If it works, he'll get so many shortballs, how can he not be aggressive ? If it doesn't, he'll be pushed into defense mode 5 metres behind the baseline.
Since it works about 80% of the time in the current climate of the tour, you can say overall Nadal is pretty aggressive.

Murray on the other hand has so many options to draw the opponent's errors, most of the time he doesn't even think about attacking himself.

Certinfy
03-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Nadal.

Rafa#Uno:-)
03-19-2010, 05:22 PM
söderling is more aggessive....lol

well for me topspinn is quite aggressive too so I say nadal compare to
murray which can flat the ball out maybe a little better
but some days nadal can flat out his shots better than other days...
it depends which kind of opponents nadal has too
for instance against Isner you kind of having problems flatting Isners forehand out...
smile....

Mechlan
03-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Nadal. I think people underestimate just how aggressive Nadal is sometimes. But it didn't used to be that way. And Nadal is a lot further along in his career than Murray is in his. We'll see what happens in the next couple of years.

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Nadal. He has one trick. Moonball CC Forehands.

People who dismissively refer to Nadal's parabolic forehands as 'moonballs' know nothing about the game [or physics for that matter]. Net clearance has NO BEARING on the effectiveness of groundstrokes. It's all about depth, spin, placement, and pace, and the unusual trajectory is the result of him imparting tremendous spin [and depth] on the ball.

Commander Data
03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Nadal.

But because Murray choses so..

Fiberlight1
03-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Nadal.. and his aggressive is much more enjoyable to watch too.

Fiberlight1
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
The most overrated, overhyped slam victory of all time- every opponent bar Fakervic just self-destructed with 60+ unforced errors, not exactly Nadal hitting them off court :haha:

Incredible logic, this guy :haha:

Noleta
03-19-2010, 05:55 PM
http://www.rogueburners.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/Dark/facepalm.gif Fucking retarded assessment.

Cool smilie:lol:

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM

Agreed. A ridiculous post.

MalwareDie
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Murray.

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Cool smilie:lol:

Feel free to use it Noleta ;)

MalwareDie
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Agreed. A ridiculous post.

He spoke the truth. Borg > Nadal. Nadal's 2008 RG Slam win is overrated.

Arkulari
03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Rafa of course, he wouldn't have won the AO last year if he wasn't ;)

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 06:25 PM

He spoke lies and deception. RG '08 not overrated.

Regarding 'Borg > Nadal' -- not relevant to this discussion. Will discuss when Rafa retires.

Fiberlight1
03-19-2010, 06:26 PM

Were you even around to watch Borg's?
If not, what qualifies you to make a statement like that? That Borg's RG was better and more dominant than Nadals?

Orka_n
03-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I guess Nadull is generally a little more aggressive than Mugray, but that doesn't mean much. He's still a pusher.

rocketassist
03-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Not really, once in the second week we saw Verdasco, Almugro and Fedclown stink the joint out with 60+ UEs in all three sets- only Fakervic had a real go. It wasn't down to Nadal's 'unbelievable aggression' :lol:

TennisLurker
03-19-2010, 06:57 PM
People who dismissively refer to Nadal's parabolic forehands as 'moonballs' know nothing about the game [or physics for that matter]. Net clearance has NO BEARING on the effectiveness of groundstrokes. It's all about depth, spin, placement, and pace, and the unusual trajectory is the result of him imparting tremendous spin [and depth] on the ball.

This, people who refer to hard topspin drives as moonballs don't understand anything about tennis or are just trolling.

roberthenman
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
andy

born_on_clay
03-19-2010, 07:06 PM
If healthly and fully confident, Nadal for sure.

marcRD
03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
I lost all respect to Murray's game at Wimbledon last year, I mean you cant win Wimbledon playing like a pusher. I would think he has the game to adjust to grass, but he is so stubborn playing this extremly boring, predictable tennis that has the sole purpose of frustating his opponents to hell.

Nadal on the other hand adjusted really well to grass playing really aggressive tennis from the baseline, always with the purpose of controling the point. Far from classic grasscourt tennis but it shows his will to adjust and change to become a better tennis player.

Johnny Groove
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Murray is a pusher against everyone on tour except Nadal, the one player he knows he needs to play aggressively to win.

Nadal, on the other hand, attempts to be aggressive against most anyone he plays against, but it doesn't always work. And when it doesn't, or when he plays someone more aggressive than he, he begins to drift behind the baseline.

All in all, though, Nadal is surely the more aggressive player.

Jomp1
03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Nadal for me. I think he is way more aggressive nowadays than past years. Moonball shots with spin doesn't mean he is defensive. I think he's looking to be even more agressive aswell to save his knees.

DrJules
03-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Little in it.

Nadal probably does more, but Murray has the potential to be better in attack.

Both players success is based on their incredible defense and movement. Neither are likely to ever be among the best attacking players on tour.

nanoman
03-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Why do you get annoyed how I call his FH ? You don't need to explain to me what's going on in his FH's. I have seen enough of Fedmug ownages to draw the conclusion myself.:lol:

jcempire
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Of course Nadal. but most of time....they play defense cause they are very smart

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Why do you get annoyed how I call his FH ? You don't need to explain to me what's going on in his FH's. I have seen enough of Fedmug ownages to draw the conclusion myself.:lol:

I'm not annoyed at you personally. I just randomly picked yours out of the numerous clown posts that included the word 'moonball'.

Consider it your lucky day.

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Of course Nadal. but most of time....they play defense cause they are very smart

Well said. And oftentimes truly great athletes can sense weakness, nerves, timidity, or fear from their opponent [esp. on the big stage], and thus adapt by playing the percentages and letting their opposition self-destruct.

-Valhalla-
03-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Murray is a pusher against everyone on tour except Nadal, the one player he knows he needs to play aggressively to win.

Very good observation. Murray indeed ups the ante against Nadal.

Quakes
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Nadal. If you want to feel the aggression, use your backhand to receive one of his topspin forehands. You'll feel as much aggression as if you're being ****ed in the ***. Call that non-aggressive if you want.

Murray has more aggressive potential though. Shame that he is content never to even try realize that potential.

leng jai
03-19-2010, 11:48 PM

I like this one.

Sunset of Age
03-19-2010, 11:51 PM
There used to be a time when Murray actually showed he was capable of playing aggressively, but it must have been in the Jurassic Era. Alas.

Nadal, by MILES.

JediFed
03-20-2010, 01:26 AM
This is like asking who's the tallest midget.

tennisfaNo.1
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
is this serious question? Murray plays similarly Monfils taking risk only on 1st serve. lol