Should fans keep the ball? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should fans keep the ball?

Register
09-06-2004, 03:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/usopen04/news/story?id=1875409

Kristen
09-06-2004, 03:42 PM
of course ;) If it's gonna help Tompa's game against the spaniards ;)
LOL! I don't think so though... If they want a ball that desperately they should take one from the Practice courts. :lol:

alfonsojose
09-06-2004, 05:21 PM
No way :rolleyes:

LiZpHaIr
09-06-2004, 07:27 PM
Why shouldn't they?

tennischick
09-06-2004, 07:36 PM
No. you can't put in a new ball when the other 5 have already been used -- that would contribute an imbalance to the bounce/feel of the ball.

if youre not a tennis player, none of this would make any sense.

joeb_uk
09-06-2004, 07:38 PM
No way, they are there to watch the tennis not collect souvenirs ;)

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
i think it would be better that fans be able to keep the ball. i actually caught one at each of two different matches i was at in IW. i was sitting in the front row where the ball would always go when the player would hit a big overhead i guess. :) they never made me give the ball back i dunno why. when my dad caught one during one of those matches he threw it back (he was sitting right by me), but they never like motioned at me to give it back so i kept it. maybe it was like at the end when they were gonna change balls anyways ot something, but i dont really remember

Havok
09-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Maybe during the 7th game when one goes out they should make them keep it since those balls are discarded and never used again, and fresh ones are brought in to be used. They don't use the previously used balls again do they?

star
09-06-2004, 08:07 PM
They probably recycle them to the practice courts. :)

LiZpHaIr
09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
That is so dumb.....that sounds so dumb when people say it disturbes the "balance" on the court....it's not so hard to have an extra can of balls out there.

Havok
09-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Yes but when you're playing with the same 7 balls, there IS a balance. If you take one or two out (which are being held onto by some crowd members) and throw in 2 new ones to the batch of 7 being used, it does make it 'unbalanced' because new balls play differently than old ones.

ktwtennis
09-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I don't think they should keep them b/c it would imbalance things...Plus, it's just a ball...You can buy them pretty cheap at your nearest sporting goods store...

LiZpHaIr
09-07-2004, 12:01 AM
Yes but when you're playing with the same 7 balls, there IS a balance. If you take one or two out (which are being held onto by some crowd members) and throw in 2 new ones to the batch of 7 being used, it does make it 'unbalanced' because new balls play differently than old ones.

well, there should be one word said to the players that complain about it.....

tough.

Rex
09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
i think they should get to keep the balls but i also feel for the players, because i can understand the imbalance in the balls bounce.

*Ljubica*
09-07-2004, 11:42 AM
At Wimbledon and Roland Garros they actually sell the used match balls afterwards with the proceeds going to charity - don't know if they do this anywhere else.

FerreroFan-2004
09-07-2004, 12:14 PM
well, there should be one word said to the players that complain about it.....

tough.

Actually there should be one word to the fans that complain about it.....

Tough

Peta Pan
09-07-2004, 01:16 PM
At Wimbledon and Roland Garros they actually sell the used match balls afterwards with the proceeds going to charity - don't know if they do this anywhere else.

Yep, they do this at the Australian Open as well. The problem I have witih that is that if I was to take home a match ball, I would want to know what match it was actually from. The one's they sell are just in a big barrel full of balls.

I see both sides of the argument, but I tend to lean more towards the side that says fans shouldn't keep the balls - because it would be ridiculous if a few balls went into the crowd and suddenly they are only playing with 3 balls out on th court (that's if they were to not replace them). If they did replace them, they couldn't use new ones because it would be different playing conditions.

Ferrero Forever
09-08-2004, 11:06 AM
hey, well if that ball hit ferrero's racquet and i caught it i would run off with it.

smudger
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Should definetely be allowed to keep the ball, if your in right place at right time then why not and players often hit ball left in their pocket into the crowd on moment they seal victory anyway.