WWW Indian Wells QF: Nadal vs. Berdych [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW Indian Wells QF: Nadal vs. Berdych

abraxas21
03-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Even though Nadal is playing pretty well and has won his last 5 meetings in straight sets against Berdych, I have a feeling this one will be a little bit closer. Hope Tomas can pull an upset here.

Certinfy
03-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Tomas in 3, 1st set against Nando and Troicki were pretty much unreal. And when I see Tomas playing like that I don't think Nadal could break him :o

Everko
03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Nadal 6-4 6-2

ossie
03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
berdych seems to be on fire but i dont think its enough to beat nadal

Florida
03-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Berdich will be Nadal's test!!!! Berdy is playing well in this tourney, he is talented and I certainly hope he will not have a choke fest against Nadal. On the other hand, I love Nadal and I am happy to see him back on the courts, but his form has not been convincing to me....... He will need to do more than defend against Berdy!!!!!

Sunset of Age
03-17-2010, 11:59 PM
If Berdych manages to play like he did against Verdasco (and Troicki), this one will be his.

But eh, wait... the guy has already done the impossible: two perfect matches in a row. Three-in-a-row? Berdych??? If that happens I conclude that he's indeed been replaced by an android.

Rafa, in three. ;)

ssj100
03-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Again, Nadal won't lose another match this year. So easy.

Geo
03-18-2010, 02:35 AM
Tomas is in great form now. I think Berdych will either win this in straights, or will be on the brink of winning in straights and then fold in 3 :lol:

Sunset of Age
03-18-2010, 03:03 AM
Tomas is in great form now. I think Berdych will either win this in straights, or will be on the brink of winning in straights and then fold in 3 :lol:

My thoughts exactly. If Tomas wants to win this, he'll have to do it in straights. Otherwise... collapse (if not Sudden Death) is evident. :)

bluefork
03-18-2010, 03:20 AM
If Berdych manages to play like he did against Verdasco (and Troicki), this one will be his.

But eh, wait... the guy has already done the impossible: two perfect matches in a row. Three-in-a-row? Berdych??? If that happens I conclude that he's indeed been replaced by an android.

Rafa, in three. ;)

:lol:

Berdych is one of those guys who seems to be get worse and worse--at least mentally--as his career progresses. (Gasquet is another.)

Anyway, I'll go with Nadal in three.

vn01
03-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Rafa in 2.His way to the final is clear now.And he will have the chance to defend his IW.Nadal won't miss the chance.Vamos Rafa

jcempire
03-18-2010, 04:36 AM
7-6 7-6 Nadal. Close match

Fiberlight1
03-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Depends on which Berydch shows up..

Nadal in two tight sets is my guess.

bobrocks
03-18-2010, 05:16 AM
I was in the stands for both Berdych's match vs. Verdasco and Nadal's match vs. Ancic. Berdych played a clean match, and balls just weren't hitting the spots for Verdasco. Berdych was impressive, but not like Nadal. Time and time again, me and the guy sitting next to me would look at each other and say 'did you see that shot!' Nadal is on fire.
Nadal in straight sets.

Arkulari
03-18-2010, 05:19 AM
Rafa in three :yeah:

HarryMan
03-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Berdych has been playing very well this week so I won't be surprised with either results.

-Valhalla-
03-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Here's what the Magic 8-Ball had to say ...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3416/8ballquestion.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3659/8ballanswer.jpg

Gotta go with Rafa! ;)

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

freeandlonely
03-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Nadal in 2.

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
IMO whoever wins this makes the final, so a little more to play for here. It's a night match tho, which makes me :fiery:

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
tomas in 2..im putting all of my 275 vcash on it :rocker2:

Puschkin
03-18-2010, 08:45 AM
Nadal!

born_on_clay
03-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Two close sets won by Rafa

Forehander
03-18-2010, 09:06 AM
If Berdych thinks he just needs to out hit Nadal then he's incorrect. He's gotta be patient, strike the ball intelligently and use his tremendous power at the correct time to win this match. Nadal's game is changing once again, he has stepped on the acceleration pedal with his offensive game for real. It will be interesting if he can win the tournament.

oranges
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Berdych in straights

Spirit_fire
03-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Rafa in two.

tennishero
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Here's what the Magic 8-Ball had to say ...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3416/8ballquestion.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3659/8ballanswer.jpg

Gotta go with Rafa! ;)

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/cgi-bin/eightball.cgi

$5000 on berdych it is.

dodo
03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
more of this berdych please.

Soda vs Berdy final!

Quakes
03-18-2010, 09:33 AM
This will probably be the best match of the tournament. Can't wait.

Quakes
03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
more of this berdych please.

Soda vs Berdy final!

Haha I wish for that too. Aggggressive tennis ftw!

tennishero
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Haha I wish for that too. Aggggressive tennis ftw!

u mean brainless ballbashing?

oranges
03-18-2010, 09:52 AM
u mean brainless ballbashing?

No, he means the incredible aggressive tennis. Should watch if you're going to comment

tennishero
03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
No, he means the incredible aggressive tennis. Should watch if you're going to comment

i watched soderling yesterday, people complain about jmdp being one dimensional, but this guy takes it to the next level.
his game consists of serve and flat forehand all match, very exciting. berdych played well, his footwork is much better, i'll give you that.

thedesertsun
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Berdych in two pretty easy sets.

Sometimes he has his 'on-fire-weeks' and this one belongs to these weeks definitely.

Foxy
03-18-2010, 05:42 PM

Sometimes he has his 'on-fire-weeks' and this one belongs to these weeks definitely.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

Dyraise
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Easy for Rafa. This Berdych is not what he used to be.
Rafa is in the final :wavey:.

thedesertsun
03-18-2010, 06:07 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha:
You're laughing right now :rolls:

But watch out and remember my words :p

TennisOnWood
03-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Rafa in two,Berdych can't beat him

l_mac
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Depends how Rafa plays.

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 06:37 PM
It depends more on how Berdych plays, if he plays the whole match like he did in the 1st sets vs Verdasco and Troicki, then I can't see him even getting broken, while I can see him creating a few break points. Though one thing is playing like that and another is keeping his mental side at a decent state :o

l_mac
03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
It depends more on how Berdych plays,

No it doesn't.

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 06:41 PM
No it doesn't.Kinda does, it's not like Rafa will go out there and shank every ball, where as for Tomas he can potentially do that.

l_mac
03-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Kinda does, it's not like Rafa will go out there and shank every ball, where as for Tomas he can potentially do that.

If Rafa plays at the top of his game he will win regardless of how Berdych plays. He's a better player.

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
If Rafa plays at the top of his game he will win regardless of how Berdych plays. He's a better player.And if Berdych plays the best of his game, he'll potentially be impossible to break.

Anyway who cares, we all know Birdshit will show up :o

tea
03-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Depends how Rafa plays.
Clay season hasn't started yet.:wavey:
On hardcourts the outcome depends on how the more offensive player will perform in the first place, and only after that Rafito's form could be considered as some decisive factor.:awww:

Castafiore
03-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Kinda does, it's not like Rafa will go out there and shank every ball.
There's more to Rafa's game than "not shanking balls". :shrug:

If Rafa plays defensively, returns short, stays far behind the baseline, ...he has no chance.
If Rafa plays more offensively, like he can also do on hardcourt and his groundstrokes are fine,... he has a chance.

Suppose Berdych wins, he will be praised to the sky.
Suppose he'll lose, he'll be Berdshit, right?
:rolleyes:

DrJules
03-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Rafa, in three. ;)

Fully agree.

The match depends on how Berdych plays.

l_mac
03-18-2010, 07:12 PM
:lol:

MTF :hug:

oranges
03-18-2010, 07:16 PM
As if Tomas has no clue how to beat Nadal on hard, it's not as if he leads H2H 3:2 on that particular surface :rolleyes:

elessar
When was the last time Thomas beat Rafa :scratch:
If Rafa plays well he'll win regardless of Thomas' form, if we're lucky he'll grace us with another couple "2nd set against Isner" kind of game but I'm not holding my breath :awww:

Certinfy
Suppose he'll lose, he'll be Berdshit, right? :rolleyes:No! He's always Birdshit to me :awww: :hug:

ossie
03-18-2010, 07:23 PM
As if Tomas has no clue how to beat Nadal on hard, it's not as if he leads H2H 3:2 on that particular surface :rolleyes:all three of berdychs victories are from 2006 and before when nadals hardcourt game wasnt as developed.nadal won their last 2 encounters on hard (2008/9) so if berdych ever had a clue on how to beat nadal he seems to have lost it :rolleyes:

elessar
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Every player and their dog know what to do to beat Rafa on hard, actually doing it has just become a bit more difficult since 2006.

Commander Data
03-18-2010, 07:26 PM
the champ will win here. rafa is the champ.

l_mac
03-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Claire what is winning your poll?

oranges
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
all three of berdychs victories are from 2006 and before when nadals hardcourt game wasnt as developed.nadal won their last 2 encounters on hard (2008/9) so if berdych ever had a clue on how to beat nadal he seems to have lost it :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: ... and in subsequent matches, I assume he played up to his potential, so we can safely conclude that the match cannot possibly be on his racquet. If it does, I'm sure it's all about injury, tiredness, family divorce or pet problems this time.

elessar
03-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Claire what is winning your poll?
The Baggy match, but I suspect it's because it's more recent. I myself favored last year's Tsonga meltdown :awww:

ossie
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
:rolleyes: ... and in subsequent matches, I assume he played up to his potential, so we can safely conclude that the match cannot possibly be on his racquet. If it does, I'm sure it's all about injury, tiredness, family divorce or pet problems this time.im just saying your argument about berdychs chances based on their h2h stats is bs

l_mac
03-18-2010, 07:34 PM
:rolleyes: ... and in subsequent matches, I assume he played up to his potential, so we can safely conclude that the match cannot possibly be on his racquet. If it does, I'm sure it's all about injury, tiredness, family divorce or pet problems this time.

And if Berdych loses we can all safely assume that it is because he is Birdbrain, has a huge mental let down, played the worst match of his career etc etc etc.

LOL. Nothing is funnier than clowns who think they are unbiased analysts :yeah:

Foxy
03-18-2010, 07:39 PM
And if Berdych plays the best of his game, he'll potentially be impossible to break.

Anyway who cares, we all know Birdshit will show up :o

Yesterday Berdych had 0 aces. It is difficult to keep out of trouble in your service games against Rafa without aces here and there.

oranges
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
im just saying your argument about berdychs chances based on their h2h stats is bs

It was not an argument, it was a response to laughing at the idea that much will depend on how he himself plays

And if Berdych loses we can all safely assume that it is because he is Birdbrain, has a huge mental let down, played the worst match of his career etc etc etc.

LOL. Nothing is funnier than clowns who think they are unbiased analysts :yeah:

Nothing is funnier than a touchy fangirl. Perhaps you'd prefer if his losses are ascribed to something outside his power, that makes for a much more unbiased opinion. Next time we speak, I promise I'll do my best to enter appropriate fangirl mode :hug:

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
The only thing funny here is the people who are analysing Tomas from all the way back in 2006, instead of analysing his previous 2 performances.

Certinfy
03-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Yesterday Berdych had 0 aces. It is difficult to keep out of trouble in your service games against Rafa without aces here and there.
Berdych was hardly even going for much on his serve yesterday :rolleyes: Against Verdasco he was, and what a difference it was!

l_mac
03-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Nothing is funnier than a touchy fangirl. Perhaps you'd prefer if his losses are ascribed to something outside his power, that makes for a much more unbiased opinion. Next time we speak, I promise I'll do my best to enter appropriate fangirl mode :hug:

Yes, yes, certainly seems I'm the touchy one :D

Topspin Forehand
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Dang it sucks it's a night match. Nadal loves the day conditions. Well he should still win it.

ImmzB
03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Rafa in 2

Johnny Groove
03-18-2010, 09:05 PM
Both are playing pretty well.

Nadal in 3.

oz_boz
03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Nadal 3 and 1, he will seize his chance here now that neither of the other top players are near their top game. Berdych will need careful shot selection and best possible form to harm Rafa at all, don't think he will pull it off. Enter pigeon.

DualMedia
03-18-2010, 09:59 PM
i do not like berdych because he does the "be quiet" thing after defeating some players , so i hope NAdal defeats this fool in 2 straigh sets.

duong
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Even though Nadal is playing pretty well and has won his last 5 meetings in straight sets against Berdych, I have a feeling this one will be a little bit closer. Hope Tomas can pull an upset here.

you wrote that predicting Isner was being addicted to drug and you predict Berdych ! :cuckoo:

Stupid forum :rolleyes:

Baghdatis72
03-18-2010, 10:36 PM
This could be a tight one if Berdych plays at his top level. Berdych in 3.

oranges
03-18-2010, 10:48 PM
you wrote that predicting Isner was being addicted to drug and you predict Berdych ! :cuckoo:

Stupid forum :rolleyes:

Why on earth is that :cuckoo: Is he better at his best than Berdych? His best is capable of dominating Federer for two and half sets, for instance? He doesn't lack movement and firepower from the baseline to hurt Nadal? Should I continue or just accept that Isner is being highly overrated?

FlavorNuts
03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
If Rafa plays at the top of his game he will win regardless of how Berdych plays. He's a better player.For a Rafatard you obviously don't watch many of his matches. His chances are entirely dependant on what the opponent does.
He only has two aggressive plays.
Junkballing the opponent's backhand until he gets a short ball, then goes for a forehand winner.
Junkballing 3 meters behind the baseline, then hitting a passing shot when the opponent takes the bait into net.

If Berdych is hitting the lines, neither of those scenarios are going to happen. Seeing as he hits consistantly deep and never goes into net.
Rafa needs that one short ball from his opponent to get his say in a rally, otherwise he's going to get pinned back and destroyed. Like he always does against an on-form big hitter.

FlavorNuts
03-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Rafa in 2.

ossie
03-18-2010, 11:51 PM
His chances are entirely dependant on what the opponent does.
lol really guys the only reason nadals been winning all these years and getting six slams is because his opponents werent playing at their best :rolleyes:

propi
03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Vamos Rafa :bounce:
Thomas has been playing too well lately, being him a head case his brain should collapse at some point during this match and from that moment it should be all about Rafa :p

l_mac
03-19-2010, 12:01 AM
For a Rafatard you obviously don't watch many of his matches. His chances are entirely dependant on what the opponent does.
He only has two aggressive plays.
Junkballing the opponent's backhand until he gets a short ball, then goes for a forehand winner.
Junkballing 3 meters behind the baseline, then hitting a passing shot when the opponent takes the bait into net.

If Berdych is hitting the lines, neither of those scenarios are going to happen. Seeing as he hits consistantly deep and never goes into net.
Rafa needs that one short ball from his opponent to get his say in a rally, otherwise he's going to get pinned back and destroyed. Like he always does against an on-form big hitter.

Thank you for teaching me.

~Maya~
03-19-2010, 12:24 AM
Rafito must be playing well, since Linda is back to her old trolling self. :p

Goget
03-19-2010, 12:31 AM

You mean weeks like this :

13/2008 ATP Miami

2nd Tomas Berdych - Sam Querrey 6-1 6-2
3rd Tomas Berdych - Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-1 6-3
4th Tomas Berdych - Dmitry Tursunov 6-2 6-2
1/4 Tomas Berdych - Igor Andreev 6-4 6-4
1/2 Rafael Nadal - Tomas Berdych 7-6(6) 6-2

?

l_mac
03-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Rafito must be playing well, since Linda is back to her old trolling self. :p

Those days are gone :shrug: My trolling time is over.

abraxas21
03-19-2010, 01:06 AM
You mean weeks like this :

13/2008 ATP Miami

2nd Tomas Berdych - Sam Querrey 6-1 6-2
3rd Tomas Berdych - Juan Carlos Ferrero 6-1 6-3
4th Tomas Berdych - Dmitry Tursunov 6-2 6-2
1/4 Tomas Berdych - Igor Andreev 6-4 6-4
1/2 Rafael Nadal - Tomas Berdych 7-6(6) 6-2

?

ouch... go tomas anyway!

ossie
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
i guess berdych wasnt hitting the lines

duong
03-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Why on earth is that :cuckoo: Is he better at his best than Berdych? His best is capable of dominating Federer for two and half sets, for instance? He doesn't lack movement and firepower from the baseline to hurt Nadal? Should I continue or just accept that Isner is being highly overrated?

no I know since yesterday that Isner is highly underrated on this forum ... probably because people have not watched him play a lot recently (those "he's all serve" comments). Or because people are so stubborn about their previous opinions, which I shouldn't be surprised actually :rolleyes:

As for Berdych ... well he had played well against Verdasco but Verdasco had also completely missed his match.

Berdych and Isner are quite the same level (the rankings show it by the way ... and Isner is far ahead for recent months), I can understand that one gives an advantage to one of the players comparing to the other one, but the comments I've read saying Berdych will beat Nadal and Isner has "15% chance to win a set", are utterly laughable.

Morerover, Isner in a good day (which was not the case against Nadal apart from serve) is a danger for anybody on hard courts because if you can't break him, and as he's very good on tough points, it really depends on a few points then it's not comfortable, even for the good Nadal we're watching currently.

Against a player with whom Nadal has a lot of time to really play like Berdych, Nadal is more comfortable because he knows he's just better.

I mean the comments I've read about Isner recently (and some others) are utterly laughable, but I'm not surprised about this forum.

By the way, Isner is still one of my most disliked players, I'm not a fan of his at all (although he has earnt my respect and even admiration recently, esp for his fighting in Serbia), but well, there's a difference between supporting and analyzing, not many people know that here :rolleyes: