IW R4: Nadal def. Isner 7-5 3-6 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IW R4: Nadal def. Isner 7-5 3-6 6-3

Luinir
03-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Good job Rafa :wavey:
Next: Berdych or Troicki

rubbERR
03-17-2010, 11:13 PM
shows how much isner has his game when he plays against moonballing consistent players

Ibracadabra
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
next - berdych

malisha
03-17-2010, 11:14 PM
John showed me what i wanted to see in this matchup

he will win 1/3 matches against Rafa on USA hardcourts generally in future
1/2 in Cinci or Us Open

Fiberlight1
03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Isner played well.. Hit alot of winners.. and fought off alot of BPs... Also served at 67%.. which isn't bad.

Nadal was too good.. 0 UEs in the firsdt set and only 13 in the last two.

l_mac
03-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Good job breaking yourself in set 2 Rafa :yeah:

Amazing serve stats for Isner. Only served 1 DF, but 22 aces and 1st serve percentage was 66%. In sets 1&2 he was over 70 :eek: But he did nothing on Rafa's serve though, and would not have broken if not for Rafa's errors, which came from nowhere.

rhinooooo
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Fun match. Lucky return game in the first set for Rafa to get the break. But he gave a very cheap game back in the 2nd set. Isner just couldn't get any first serves in the crucial moments of the 3rd set. He got tired and deflated, and Rafa was pumped, playing solid as always.

Could be a good one against Berdych.

rubbERR
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Good job breaking yourself in set 2 Rafa :yeah:

Amazing serve stats for Isner. Only served 1 DF, but 22 aces and 1st serve percentage was 66%. In sets 1&2 he was over 70 :eek: But he did nothing on Rafa's serve though, and would not have broken if not for Rafa's errors, which came from nowhere.

rafa would have not broken isner but isner self descructed and handed him two service games

Voo de Mar
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
Isner was tense like a string of the racquet. Total opposition to what he showed against Querrey. Actually good scoreline for him after such a poor performance (excluding serve) :o

Baldy Rafa should begin to play with a cap, the top of his head looks worse with each tournament ;) :o

Arkulari
03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/4k9q2p.jpg

good performance by Rafa, Isner can be very dangerous in HC with his serve :yeah:

henke007
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Big John dropped from 84 % 1 st serves in the 2nd to 21 % in the third hence the break. Was hoping for an upset and a tight 3rd set but wasn't in the cards tonight.

jonas
All serve this Isner.

The Magician
Isner ran out of gas. Del Potro used to be the same, hopefully Isner can follow a similar path; Isner has the game to dominate Nadal the same way Del Potro does. We'll have to see what the fast hardcourts do for this matchup.

tyruk14
That was solid from Nadal. Imperious first set, but you get the feeling that Soderling, Davy, Del Potro or Djokovic -- the Nadal Slayers -- could have won the second and third.

ReturnWinner
03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Isner played good with his serve and fh as expected but Nadull was too consistent in such a slow hard court.
Iser level drop a little in the third missing many first serves due to tiredness and that was the key.

Topspin Forehand
03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Vamos Rafa. And Djokovic lost to. Great day for tennis. :)

rubbERR
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Isner ran out of gas. Del Potro used to be the same, hopefully Isner can follow a similar path; Isner has the game to dominate Nadal the same way Del Potro does. We'll have to see what the fast hardcourts do for this matchup.

to compare mr.consistency del potro to this inconsistent all serve isner, horrible :lol:

l_mac
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Big John dropped from 84 % 1 st serves in the 2nd to 21 % in the third hence the break. Was hoping for an upset and a tight 3rd set but wasn't in the cards tonight.

81-48, and Isner has really got nothing in his game other than a serve.

He won 15 points off Rafa's serve in 15 return games :yeah:

malisha
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
great match gamewise from Rafa and poor from John yet there were 3 sets of tennis

aussie_fan
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Good match, Isner's serve dropped off in the third and was having way too many rallies in the end with Rafa, just too consistant and getting a few too many balls back for Isner to finish him off. Isner just keeps improving hsi game though.

l_mac
03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
rafa would have not broken isner but isner self descructed and handed him two service games

:hug:

Isner had one BP all match.

Rafa had 9, and won more points against Isner's 1st serve than Isner did on Rafa's 2nd yeah:

ReturnWinner
03-17-2010, 11:23 PM

Isner baseline game is not as good as Del Potros but his serve is better. Isner can beat nadull in medium/fast surfaces.

rubbERR
03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Isner baseline game is not as good as Del Potros but his serve is better. Isner can beat nadull in medium/fast surfaces.

of course his serve is better, he is almost 10cm taller :lol:

l_mac
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM

OMG it is hilarious to even compare Isner and DelPo from the baseline :rolls:

The Magician
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Lol at rafatards saying John has only serve. John was obviously tired from playing for his country even when they lost, something Rafa is too scared to do. Also Rafa has been out with his "injury" while Big John has been making the most of his talent and fighting spirit.

Oh and rubberr is a clown but we already knew that.

Topspin Forehand
03-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Isner has only serve. Way too many unforced errors from the baseline and poor movement. Del Potro>>>Isner

TennisOnWood
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Rafa :worship::worship:

Take it now

djb84xi
I give Isner a ton of credit for competing well. He had almost twice the number of winners Rafa had, BUT, he had nearly as many unforced errors as he did winners, which cost him, unfortunately.

Rafa always struggles against big servers, but more times than not, he finds a way to win. I can see his confidence growing immensely, especially now that Djokovic is out of his section. He has Berdych next and possibly Monaco or Ljubicic in the semis, and I don't see any of those guys testing him the way Isner did today.

Congrats Rafa!! On to the quarterfinals!

rocketassist
to compare mr.consistency del potro to this inconsistent all serve isner, horrible :lol:

Well done on accurately describing Del Potro's game. Consistent.

Certinfy
03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
John :bigcry: :hug:

Persimmon
03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Baldy Rafa should begin to play with a cap, the top of his head looks worse with each tournament ;) :o

Soon he will shave his head like Agassi did...:wavey:

michellej
03-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I love Nadal's fighting spirit. He is what sports is all about and it is a pleasure to watch him win a match.

rubbERR
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
rafas balding head?, there is more horrible things in this world. :D

makes me feel bad just how retarded humans are :lol:

Voo de Mar
03-17-2010, 11:37 PM
Soon he will shave his head like Agassi did...:wavey:

:yeah: Maybe that's the reason he played with him in doubles for Haiti, got accustomed to the view of baldness ;)

philosophicalarf
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Decent effort from Isner - you could see Davis Cup effect killing him in the final set though, 3 best of 5 matches, the serving arm just died on him and first serve % was down in the low 40%s. Same thing happened with lots of the other Davis Cup guys, Djoko/Cilic/Mayer/Nalby/Stepanek and so on. Few too many groundstroke errors, probably doesn't help with the transition from clay.

Nadal was ok to fairly good, struggling against the insane height Isner's serve gets off this court of course, but largely dominant otherwise. Bit of an odd wobble in the 2nd set, utter gift of a break out of nowhere, but he hasn't played for a couple of months so hard to have perfect concentration all match. Especially true with the complete lack of rhythm that Isner gives you.

Kraxths
03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Rafa Nadal

http://www.ludicer.it/immagini/topolino/gastone.gif

Everko
03-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, Rafa Nadal

http://www.ludicer.it/immagini/topolino/gastone.gif

what dragon shit. Nadal never loses to brainless mugs like Isner. Never in doubt

marcRD
03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Is Rafa balding? Sorry, I can see no evidence of that, his hair is kind of thin but his hairline is perfect and there is no bald spot.

I would rather put a warning on Murray's hairline, also I think can see what is the beginning of a bald spot from behind. Murray may be bald in a couple of years, imagine the nightmare he would be for sponsors: bald, scottish, bad teeth, megapusher and a big 0 on charisma (probably on grand slams too).

Halba
03-17-2010, 11:44 PM
nadal in very dangerous form now...this is very high standard now..

scarecrows
03-17-2010, 11:48 PM
be a man berdman

Fiberlight1
03-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Lol at rafatards saying John has only serve. John was obviously tired from playing for his country even when they lost, something Rafa is too scared to do. Also Rafa has been out with his "injury" while Big John has been making the most of his talent and fighting spirit.

Oh and rubberr is a clown but we already knew that.

http://dunzmovie.wippiespace.com/Watermelon_lol_wut.jpg

Voo de Mar
03-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Is Rafa balding? Sorry, I can see no evidence of that, his hair is kind of thin but his hairline is perfect and there is no bald spot.

I would rather put a warning on Murray's hairline, also I think can see what is the beginning of a bald spot from behind. Murray may be bald in a couple of years.

Murray has receding hairline, Nadal is balding only on the top of his head.

Il Primo Uomo
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Yay Rafa, onto the next one :)

Sunset of Age
03-17-2010, 11:52 PM
A match between two Big Servers, :lol:.

Uhm... slight correction - between one Big Server who couldn't return serve to save his life, and one Decent Server with a very good ROS.

I can't help but at least partly agree that indeed, Isner is all-serve. At least in this match. Yes, he is a promising player but this match clearly showed some gaps in his game. Rafa's serve is decent (and a lot better than some folks make it out to be), but he's no Karlovic - and yet, how many points did Isner manage to make on Rafa's serve in the first set? I counted a mere three. :o
And as soon as Isner's serve goes down, he's vulnerable, reason why Rafa never got into any real trouble in this match. The only reason why he lost the 2nd set was an awkward dip he got halfway. Never in doubt that he'd amend matters in the third. :)

Congrats, Rafa! :hatoff: Very good chances at the title now. The only two blokes that I can see him giving trouble who are still left are Berdych (who's on a mission! :eek:) and Söderling.

Isner :hug: - nice run, he's surely going to be a force to reckon with in the near future.

Kraxths
03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
what dragon shit. Nadal never loses to brainless mugs like Isner. Never in doubt

you need to get a lil bit of brain if you think Isner is a brainless mug ;)

marcRD
03-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Murray has receding hairline, Nadal is balding only on the top of his head.

Roddick used to have a receding hairline, now he is really kind of bald. Murray is heading the same way (or maybe he keeps his hairline like Nalbandian has done, you never know).

Nadal just has really thin hair and it shows when he is sweating, Nadal's condition is probably easier for him to get a threatment, I dont know even if it is male pattern baldness. I really dont see any bald spot on the top of his head.

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 01:13 AM
Roddick used to have a receding hairline, now he is really kind of bald. Murray is heading the same way (or maybe he keeps his hairline like Nalbandian has done, you never know).

Nadal just has really thin hair and it shows when he is sweating, Nadal's condition is probably easier for him to get a threatment, I dont know even if it is male pattern baldness. I really dont see any bald spot on the top of his head.

You should watch his matches from 2005 or 2006 to compare with his current hair. Yeah, Roddick's hair also looks worse and worse but at least he plays always with this stupid cap (I write "stupid" because there's no need to play in a cap indoor - if you have short hair - like Roddick does).

LinkMage
03-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Nadull will win this tournament now. :zzz:

-Valhalla-
03-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Whether it was nerves, fatigue, or a combination of both, Izzy’s mental lapse early in the third sealed his fate -- 25% 1st serves just isn’t going to cut it! The decider was somewhat lackluster, but Nadal shows us once again why he’s such a fierce competitor and a great champion!

Overall, a nice confidence boost for the champ and a good learning experience for the Bulldog. And if Isner continues his rapid pace of improvement, I like his chances of making it to London in November.

[btw, who the hell is hosting this website? ... I’ll drop $24.99 for a membership, but please, let’s get some redundancy ;)]

marcRD
03-18-2010, 01:24 AM
You should watch his matches from 2005 or 2006 to compare with his current hair. Yeah, Roddick's hair also looks worse and worse but at least he plays always with this stupid cap (I write "stupid" because there's no need to play in a cap indoor - if you have short hair - like Roddick does).

If Roddick once didnt need a cap, he surely needs one now.

Anyway, I would like to see atleast a bald spot at the top of Nadal's head to really be sure that Nadal is on the path to baldness.

Man, Nadal would look awful with his head shaved like Agassi, he would lose so much of his appeal to the younger people(specialy all those teenage girls...).

ChinoRios4Ever
03-18-2010, 01:31 AM
well done Rafa, take this title :fiery:

good effort Johnny :yeah:

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 01:35 AM
If Roddick once didnt need a cap, he surely needs one now.

Sad truth :o

Anyway, I would like to see atleast a bald spot at the top of Nadal's head to really be sure that Nadal is on the path to baldness.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8a/fullj.667c536678d36cc88ef1dc9c8bbf7166/667c536678d36cc88ef1dc9c8bbf7166-getty-93197324ms021_bnp_paribas_o.jpg

Please don't tell me that you don't see it on this photo :o

Man, Nadal would look awful with his head shaved like Agassi, he would lose so much of his appeal to the younger people(specialy all those teenage girls...).

Yeah :o

marcRD
03-18-2010, 01:47 AM
Sad truth :o

Please don't tell me that you don't see it on this photo :o

Oh, I see it. Thats really sad for Nadal.

However I wonder if it is related to stress or something like that? I still am not sure it is male pattern baldness and then it is often threatable. This is the typical male patternbaldness step for step:

http://www.stevens-trichology.com/male-pattern-baldness-chart.jpg

rubbERR
03-18-2010, 02:21 AM
sad if he only loses his hair? retard so retard. :haha:

ssj100
03-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Guys, Nadal will over take Agassi right? Total number of Masters Series titles. Man, Nadal is the real GOAT I reckon. He's only 23, and he's already breaking that record. Only reason he doesn't win that many Grand Slams is because he gets injured so much.

marcRD
03-18-2010, 02:36 AM
Guys, Nadal will over take Agassi right? Total number of Masters Series titles. Man, Nadal is the real GOAT I reckon. He's only 23, and he's already breaking that record. Only reason he doesn't win that many Grand Slams is because he gets injured so much.

Maybe he will overtake Agassi's wig collection? :shrug:

paseo
03-18-2010, 02:38 AM

They should take whatever hair product Fed is using. Cause Fed's hair is great.

marcRD
03-18-2010, 02:42 AM

Its all genetics, not much you can do if you get the bald genetics. Fed got lucky with most things in his genetics (good hair, GOAT talent, height, swiss temper, immunity to injuries ...), he is a lucky guy.

Fiberlight1
03-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Fed's hair is sort of receeding too.. Letme see if I can dig up a pic.

Sunset of Age
03-18-2010, 02:46 AM
^^ :lol: about all these worries about some slight hair loss. You know what? That's perfectly normal, happens to a lot of guys. Ask Davydenko and Ljubicic. No big deal.

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 02:48 AM
^^ :lol: about all these worries about some slight hair loss. You know what? That's perfectly normal, happens to a lot of guys. Ask Davydenko and Ljubicic. No big deal.

In their cases 'yes' but for guys like Agassi, Blake or Nadal who used to like long hair it would be a problem :o

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Fed's hair is sort of receeding too..

Yup. I think Monaco has very good hair. Will be good contrast in his match against Ljuba :)

marcRD
03-18-2010, 02:52 AM

No big deal? You think Nadal wants the to switch sponsor contracts with Davydenko or Ljubotrubba?

Should Nadal change his main market from kids and teen girls to middle aged old men losing hair maybe?

Maybe those pants Nadal is wearing in Indian Wells is an indication of things to come.... :confused:

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Should Nadal change his main market from kids and teen girls to middle aged old men losing hair maybe?

Maybe those pants Nadal is wearing in Indian Wells is an indication of things to come.... :confused:

:haha: I like your sarcastic sense of humour.

Sunset of Age
03-18-2010, 02:56 AM
No big deal? You think Nadal wants the to switch sponsor contracts with Davydenko or Ljubotrubba?

Last time I checked Nadal was a professional tennis player. And as such, he got his sponsor contracts mainly from his awesome tennis results.

But perhaps you're right, he might be crying over the lost hairs on his pillow every morning, panicking about all those contracts he'll obviously lose in a couple of years. Or maybe... he isn't at all that shallow (not everyone is an Agassi), and doesn't really give a damn. I know what I believe.

marcRD
03-18-2010, 03:06 AM
Last time I checked Nadal was a professional tennis player. And as such, he got his sponsor contracts mainly from his awesome tennis results.

But perhaps you're right, he might be crying over the lost hairs on his pillow every morning, panicking about all those contracts he'll obviously lose in a couple of years. Or maybe... he isn't at all that shallow (not everyone is an Agassi), and doesn't really give a damn. I know what I believe.

Look, I will be honest with you. When I was in my late teens I was losing alot of hair and my hairline was receding really fast. I dont consider myself shallow (but what do I know?) at all and I dont have any contracts to think about but the agony of losing hair when you are young is not exclusive for superficial people who only care about their appearance or superstars with big contracts. I was lucky that it suddenly stopped in my early 20s and now I am 24 and have a better hairline than when I was 19, the doctor said it was extremely stressful conditions which may have accelarated the process and the same thing might be the case for Nadal.

Anyway, there is a photo of me further down in this page:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=143148&page=218

Still have those blond curls, hope to have them atleast until I can grow some beard.

MacTheKnife
03-18-2010, 03:09 AM
Voo, I always wore a visor indoors or out doors. When indoors it still cut glare from the lights. Wearing a cap made my hair begin to fall out. Switched to a visor and it stopped immediately.

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 03:11 AM
extremely stressful conditions which may have accelarated the process and the same thing might be the case for Nadal.

Yes, I wonder what's the reason of Nadal's crisis. It would have been a chain reaction, first the divorce of his parents caused big stress, in the consequence he began to lose his hair, it slipped his self-assessment and transformed onto on court attitude. Just a hypothesis :shrug:

Voo de Mar
03-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Voo, I always wore a visor indoors or out doors. When indoors it still cut glare from the lights. Wearing a cap made my hair begin to fall out. Switched to a visor and it stopped immediately.

Many years ago Roddick wanted to play in a visor but Gilbert forbade him :o Apparently Gilbert is the reason of Roddick's baldness ;)

Sunset of Age
03-18-2010, 03:21 AM
Look, I will be honest with you. When I was in my late teens I was losing alot of hair and my hairline was receding really fast. I dont consider myself shallow (but what do I know?) at all and I dont have any contracts to think about but the agony of losing hair when you are young is not exclusive for superficial people who only care about their appearance or superstars with big contracts. I was lucky that it suddenly stopped in my early 20s and now I am 24 and have a better hairline than when I was 19, the doctor said it was extremely stressful conditions which may have accelarated the process and the same thing might be the case for Nadal.

Hey, I didn't mean to insult you with my 'shallow' remark, and if I did, I apologize. Yes I do understand that it can be worrisome, of course. And I'm glad for you that with you it stopped at a certain point. :)

However, I don't think this is the case with Nadal. He comes across as a very happy camper who enjoys his life a lot right now. Yes he's been through a rough patch in his life last year, and if that was indeed the cause, his hair loss will stop, just like yours. However, I think it's more 'normal male hairloss' in his case (if anything). There are two major forms of it: the reciding hairline, but also the variation that starts on top of the head. Tough luck for him if it's the latter variation. Should that become any a reason for fans 'not liking him anymore' (or whatever better ways to put it, just can't think of one right now), than I think that the 'shallow'-verdict to those is indeed justified.

OMG, back to tennis... we've gone very much off topic here. :o

marcRD
03-18-2010, 03:48 AM
No need to apologize Bonnie, there was nothing insulting in anything you wrote. I just cant imagine the agony of a young famous man who is losing his hair and having milions of people commenting on his change in appearance, it was hard enought for me to imagine myself having to hear comments from friends and classmates in university if I would go bald. Maybe Nadal's inner strength and inner peace is just so great nothing outside his inner circle can touch him, but I really dont know him so I am limited to imagine myself in his position.

JoshDragon
03-18-2010, 05:13 AM
shows how much isner has his game when he plays against moonballing consistent players

It must bother you, to no end, that Nadal won the match.

paseo
03-18-2010, 05:33 AM

Relax. If things go worse, Nadal can start wearing a wig like Agassi.

Foxy
03-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Anyway, there is a photo of me further down in this page:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=143148&page=218

Still have those blond curls, hope to have them atleast until I can grow some beard.

Shut up, baldy! :haha: :haha: :haha:

born_on_clay
03-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Rafa has to be more agressive in next rounds
Vamos

duong
03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Nadal looks great and will probably reach the final. Berdych is in good form, but should not be a big problem.

For those who looked at Isner only yesterday, imo this match is not representative of what I've seen recently : better serve but poorer baseline game. It seems that the conditions (sunny and hot) have influenced that.

Anyway, it made the match poorer, but Nadal's victory was certain, as he looks back on-track.

duong
03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
All serve this Isner.

you should watch him another day, yesterday was like that but it's not the Isner I've seen before.

But of course when you see people comparing him with Del Potro :haha: :haha:

Corey Feldman
03-18-2010, 11:08 AM
the scowl face, the swagger and the point for the towel Nadal, is back

madmax
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Isner imploded in two service games...lucky Nadull as always

Selby
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Awful awful match for Isner bar serve(and the serve was pretty bad too in the 3rd set when he just couldn't put 1st serves in), he really couldn't do anything from the baseline on return. I think he couldn't handle with the combination of Nadal's moon balls and the high bounce of the surface, he's not used to playing so much spin. As for why his served declined in the final set, maybe the heat had something to do with it.
Anyway, whatever the reasons/excuses are the obvious thing is that Isner can play much much better from the baseline, he showed that in many occasions this year.
But taking a set from Nadal despite playing badly is not too shabby is it?

jcempire
03-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Isner imploded in two service games...lucky Nadull as always

He's not always luck. Please... which he already miss over 7 months by the injury

Foxy
03-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Isner has been lucky taking a set.
BP conversations:
Isner 1/1
Rafa 2/9

Are you all blind?

ossie
03-18-2010, 02:03 PM
BP conversations:
Isner 1/1
Rafa 2/9

Are you all blind?
no theyre butthurt nadal-haters

duong
03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
BP conversations:
Isner 1/1
Rafa 2/9

Are you all blind?

tell me was the set lost 7-6 20/18 or something ?

When you reach the tie-break against Isner, you're already in great danger if you consider his stats.

And 33% BP conversion is rather the average.

Yes, Nadal was clearly the better player, but I've seen luck in far more matches than most of MTFers but not as much in that match.

When I read MTFers speaking about choking and choking again, surely I read blind people :lol:

Corey Feldman
03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Nadal, to his credit, treats every TMS and matches there like GS finals

night and day difference from him and Fedmug

l_mac
03-19-2010, 02:20 AM
Re: Rafa's h**r :bigcry:

It's been the same for years.

Look at these pics of him from April 2008:

http://vamosbrigade.smugmug.com/Rafa-Pictures/2008-Tournaments/2008-TMS-Monte-Carlo-on-court/4538042_xmXmR#284040312_zJvjp