Henman v. Kiefer: Nicholas retires with wrist injury [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Henman v. Kiefer: Nicholas retires with wrist injury

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Henman leads Kiefer 5:3

2002 World Team Cup, Dusseldorf, Clay RR Henman 7 6 6 3
2002 Rotterdam, Hard R32 Henman 6 2 6 2
2001 Cincinnati Hard R16 Henman 7 5 6 3
2000 Hong Kong, Hard S Kiefer 4 6 2 6
1999 Cincinnati, Hard R16 Henman 6 4 6 1
1998 Basel, Hard Q Henman 6 3 6 4
1997 Toulouse, Hard R16 Kiefer 6 4 6 7 2 6
1995 Garmisch, CH, Hard R16 Kiefer 7 6 6 7 4 6

Clay, Henman leads 1:0
Hard, Henman leads 4:3

I don't like Henman so I will be rooting for Kiefer, who I've only really began to watch as a player in his comeback this summer.

The h2h suggests this could go either way, but I think Kiefer will get through based on recent form.

What do you think?

Neely
09-06-2004, 03:37 PM
What do you think?
coin toss

(but I'm hoping for Kiefer of course :angel: )

rassklovn
09-06-2004, 03:41 PM
If Henman's back can hold up then he will, but if Kiefer can move him around and make him leap for a lot of lobs, then his chances will increase. Henman has the better Slam record, so I will go with him.

sol
09-06-2004, 03:44 PM
I would like to see Kiefer winning but I’m scared to the conjectures and Henman is a very dangerous rival.

Wulfram
09-06-2004, 03:45 PM
Bad back + least favourite slam + Kiefer in good form = Henman loses.

Which is a shame, particularly since it's Tim's birthday.

|-Safin_Coria-|
09-06-2004, 03:46 PM
i'm rooting for Tim, but its gonna be real tough....hope his back holds up -- also,
it'd be a great birthday present for Tim!!!

Adidas Dude
09-06-2004, 03:56 PM
I'm rooting for Nic. He has worked hard this American summer. Such a lovely boy too.

Layla
09-06-2004, 04:21 PM
The one time I'm happy Germansport is showing any and all German players, and they decide to stick with cycling. I just can't win, can I. :mad:

Looks like Henman isn't even on the court, Kiefer leads 4-0. :sad:

joeb_uk
09-06-2004, 04:23 PM
funny missed beep by the machine :D

star
09-06-2004, 04:26 PM
awwww Tim's birthday!

Good luck!

Fergie
09-06-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't like Kiefer, but this time I'm rooting for him :D

Go Kiefer!

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Kiefer seems to be a bit of a "drama queen". After rolling to 4-0, the 1st set ends in a tiebreak. Second set, he's up 3-1, then loses the next two sets.

I really have only been following him this summer, and I never witnessed his poor attitude on the court. Staring down linespeople, throwing a ball into the stands, getting two code violations...

Still want him to win, tho.

superpinkone37
09-06-2004, 07:51 PM
i really dont care who wins...but i guess since its timmy's birthday he can win...it would suck to lose on your birthday. and the way its going right now it looks like timmy's gonna pull through

Iheartandy&roger
09-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Uh-oh kiefer's hurt... don't pull out! :(

Tennis Fool
09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
They say its the wrist again...same thing that took him out some years ago.

That's too bad. He was having an incredible summer. And the crowds boos him too.

Neely
09-06-2004, 08:10 PM
that's so sad :sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope it isn't bad enough that nothing is broken :rolleyes:

get well soon, Kiwi :hug:
I really had so much fun watching your matches :clap2:

tennischick
09-06-2004, 08:13 PM
that was a terrific match. i didn't see anything about Kiefer's wrist movement that seemed to invite injury. hope he recovers anon.

Goenitz_196
09-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Most of you seem to want Henman to lose. Fuck's sake what's wrong with having a pure serve & volleyer in the QFs for once? Better than it being a load of baseline crap.

Layla
09-06-2004, 08:31 PM
that was a terrific match. i didn't see anything about Kiefer's wrist movement that seemed to invite injury. hope he recovers anon.

Yep, it was great. And I agree, it was odd the way it happened. It seemed like a pretty normal service action to me. Poor thing. :sad: Get well soon! The crowd booing him was nasty. :(

Glad Tim is through though.

Neely
09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
yes, maybe that's the only positive thing. If you break your wrist it's much more severe and he wouldn't have thought about 5 minutes long whether to continue playing. So I HOPE we can exclude that.
Maybe a partial fracture? :help: I don't know, but it could be possible...

Maybe it's just a tendon what comes from having played a lot of matches this sommer. He always had problems with his wrist earlier, so I guess he could be vulnerable there...

I just hope the best that he can return as soon as possible with full strenght. :clap2:

BTW, the crowd booed him because he angrily smashed his racket as he was leaving the court. But who can blame him? :shrug: he put on a fantastic fight and I think almost nobody gave him a chance to win the 4th set after Henman played very good tennis in the since the 2nd set. But he won the tiebreak and stayed in the match. He was down *0-3 in the final set but despite this score, he was not yet out of this match and had chances on Henman's two service games in the 5th set. It was his best Grand Slam performance since long time, he played a terrific summer on the US hardcourt so he has the right to be annoyed...

I can understand his frustrated reaction! ... and I hope the best for him

*Ljubica*
09-06-2004, 08:47 PM
OK - if I had been at that match I would probably have been arrested :devil: That crowd are the biggest bunch of ignorant morons that I've ever had the misfortune to witness, - the way they booed Keifer was disgusting and made me so angry. The guy was obviously in pain and distraught at having to pull out at such an important stage, - no one pulls out of a 5th set in a Grand Slam unless they really are unable to continue. Our TV picked up some of what the Trainer was saying to him - seems it could be a tendon or ligament that has "popped out" as they put it..........certainly extremely painful and impossible to play on, and may well possibly need surgery although obviously they can't tell at such an early stage. To treat him like that when he left the court was boorish and ill-mannered, and showed a total lack of class and tennis knowledge. Of course he was frustrated and upset when he broke that racquet - they just didn't have the collective brain to recognise it :devil: I admit our Wimbledon crowds might be daft at times with their "Henmania" and Henman Hill and all that rubbish (I hate all that too!), but we would never, like NEVER behave like that to an injured man in the state that Keifer was in. The New York crowd was lower than the low tonight :devil: Sorry Neely - I know you must be feeling bad right now - hope he gets better ASAP :)

Space Cowgirl
09-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Rosie - another great post! Damn ignoramuses booing Kiefer, did they really think he didn't feel like playing on, even though he was 30-0 up in that game? :mad: That said, I guess his reaction on leaving the court may have been up for misinterpretation, since most people see him as being a grumpy git instead of someone deeply disappointed

kek
09-06-2004, 11:15 PM
The New Yorkers are a lot like this. Most of the fans at Ashe stadium aren't really tennis fans and only there because companies gave them free tickets. They see someone retire in a 5th set and think they should finish the match.

This reminds me when Patrick Rafter had to retire in the 5th set in 1999 with his shoulder in the 1st rnd. When he walked off the court the crowd booed him. Here a guy who is the most well liked player and the reigning US open champion at the time.

rassklovn
09-07-2004, 08:43 AM
These are the people that booed Patrick Rafter, so I am not surprised with the reaction that Kiefer got and I remember I having a discussion with Neely about the differences between the RG and New York crowd, sure they can be tough. One major difference the majority of RG crowd, are knowledgeable about tennis, which is something that was lacking and the booing of Kiefer was poor.

Why would anyone want to retire in the 4th round of Slam in the 5th set if they weren't injured? Then again I am not surprised with the reaction from the moronic element in the crowd.

I just hope Kiefer gets better soon as possible, as this has been a great year for him, and hopefully he doesn't rush back too soon.

Patrick
09-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Henman played very badly yesterday. However, Kiefer played even worse. :(

Daniel
09-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Kiefer,pfff u were supposed to be Tim

Neely
09-07-2004, 04:03 PM
I just hope Kiefer gets better soon as possible, as this has been a great year for him, and hopefully he doesn't rush back too soon.
Thanks, rassklovn, for your kind words even though you normally dislike Kiefer. I appreciated it!

rassklovn
09-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks, rassklovn, for your kind words even though you normally dislike Kiefer. I appreciated it!

Not a problem at all. I don't want to see players injured and that includes players I dislike and that was a bad situation for Kiefer, so I want to see him get back to full fitness.