March Madness 2012 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

March Madness 2012

156mphserve
03-15-2010, 02:30 AM
Anyone here fill in their March Madness bracket every year? I'm not a very big fan of NCAA Basketball but I am a big fan of this tournament. So every year I watch like no college basketball at all and then watch the last week and try and get as much info as possible to fill in my bracket. Anyone got any tips for suprise teams, or overrated teams? Maybe we can get a little MTF bracket competition on the go?

156mphserve
03-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Nobody on MTF follows college basketball?:sad:

out_here_grindin
03-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Big fan here. One of my favorite sporting events. Haven't filled my bracket out yet

Johnny Groove
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Hopefully Georgetown beats Kansas.

savesthedizzle
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Um, hi, have you seen me posting around MTF the last few months.

March Madness is finally here :hearts:

savesthedizzle
03-16-2010, 01:32 AM
btw, I started a bracket challenge group type thing for me and some MTF-ers who usually do fantasy sports type stuff... I will post the info in here later so more of you can join :D

savesthedizzle
03-16-2010, 01:37 AM
Here's the info :)

Get in on the excitement of this year's NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament with the web's most popular bracket game. To get in the game simply complete a bracket by the first tip of the tournament. Points are awarded for each correct pick, with point values increasing as the Tournaments progress. Create or join a private group to compete amongst your friends, family, and co-workers. Or join a public group and compete against ESPN celebrities or like-minded fans from around SportsNation. Come out on top and you could win $10,000. Free to play, sign up now!

Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/group?groupID=4199

Group: MTF
Password: mtfmtf1

Join please! Don't leave me, Minn, Allez-Alejo and TMJordan stranded all alone. Adee-gee said he'll do it also and crazylace01 too :p So.. join join :)

Chip_s_m
03-16-2010, 01:43 AM
I'll join. Not tonight, though.

Duke has this all the way...

156mphserve
03-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I definately be joining, not tonight but I usually try to have my bracket done by tuesday so likely by tomorrow night

What's your thoughts on first round upsets? I have a pretty big list that needs to be shrunk down a bit, here's the upsets o my list along with the % chnace that I will pick them, considering every lower seed except 9 over 8 as that's not an upset

San Diego State over Tennessee - 35%
Georgia Tech over Oklahoma State - 90%
UTEP over Butler - 65%
Murray State over Vanderbilt - 40%
Minnesota over Xavier - 50%
Cornell over Temple 60%
Washington over Marquette - 65%
Utah State over Texas A&M - 55%
Siena over Purdue - 70%
Old Dominion over Norte Dame - 20%

Any tips on which ones I should pick and which to leave off? Obviously picking all 10 of them would be too risky but I want to get down to around 6.

chowdahead25
03-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Ill be hopping in Jesse.

156, if you want six, I'd go with...
Siena over Purdue
UTEP over Butler
Murray St. over Vandy
Missouri over Clemson
Minnesota over Xavier
San Diego State over Tennessee

In that order.

Cornell is simple. If they are hitting from downtown, they will win. If not, they could lose by 25. Missouri will give Clemson 40 minutes of hell on defense they can't handle. Tennesse will go in with a negative mindset for not only being horribly underseeded, but being put in the group of death, along with playing San Diego St., who is also underseeded and red hot. Minnesota Xavier just banks on which Minnesota team shows up. The one who beat Purdue by 27, or the one who lost to Ohio St. by 29. Murray St. is a damn good team, and I think Vandy is way overrated. UTEP will outplay Butler inside, and Purdue might as well be a 16 seed without Hummel. Too bad for them, because they could have been good. Siena is a damn good team int heir third straight tourney with a great coach. Hope this helps. :wavey:

jcreback
03-16-2010, 04:50 AM
Temple is going to beat Cornell like a drum.

savesthedizzle
03-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Ill be hopping in Jesse.

Just Jess, please. I watched too much Full House as a child to allow people to call me Jesse. It's a life-long issue I have :p :lol:

jcreback
03-16-2010, 05:02 AM
Look forward to Vermont/Cuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFFJb9KSdc&feature=related

savesthedizzle
03-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Look forward to Vermont/Cuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBFFJb9KSdc&feature=related

Painful, painful, painful memories. :sad: On top of those memories, which I'm sure our dear graduate assistant Gerry McNamara would like to get revenge for....

Our 6th man Kris Joseph will be playing against his brother Maurice who plays for Vermont :lol:

jcreback
03-16-2010, 05:10 AM
Can't be fun, but that game was awesome. Pretty much that game for you has to be like Wake/WVU in 2005 for me, except for that whole National Title you won 2 years before.

bad gambler
03-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Kentucky have a great draw, only West Virginia in their way to the final 4.

out_here_grindin
03-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Ill be hopping in Jesse.

156, if you want six, I'd go with...
Siena over Purdue
UTEP over Butler
Murray St. over Vandy
Missouri over Clemson
Minnesota over Xavier
San Diego State over Tennessee

In that order.

Cornell is simple. If they are hitting from downtown, they will win. If not, they could lose by 25. Missouri will give Clemson 40 minutes of hell on defense they can't handle. Tennesse will go in with a negative mindset for not only being horribly underseeded, but being put in the group of death, along with playing San Diego St., who is also underseeded and red hot. Minnesota Xavier just banks on which Minnesota team shows up. The one who beat Purdue by 27, or the one who lost to Ohio St. by 29. Murray St. is a damn good team, and I think Vandy is way overrated. UTEP will outplay Butler inside, and Purdue might as well be a 16 seed without Hummel. Too bad for them, because they could have been good. Siena is a damn good team int heir third straight tourney with a great coach. Hope this helps. :wavey:

But Clemson also plays full court press defense. Missouri won't be able to handle us. Basically two teams that are clones of each other. Will be a very good game.

I don't think Duke makes the final four, Baylor and Villanova are too strong for them.

bad gambler
03-17-2010, 05:51 AM
I just filled in my bracket

betowiec
03-17-2010, 05:59 AM
will join as well

KarlyM
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm filling out my bracket. ;)

I don't really followed college basketball much, but I do watch some of the tournament every year. I'm doing the bracket for fun. Hopefully for all of you, I won't win again this year. :lol:

savesthedizzle
03-17-2010, 10:36 PM
:yeah: :yeah: to everyone who joined the bracket group :D

156mphserve
03-18-2010, 02:23 AM
I filled out my bracket. My internet was down today so I was worried I wouldn't get to enter any pools but it came back. Good luck everyone:)

jcreback
03-18-2010, 02:30 AM
In with my surprise FF team and not so surprise national champion.

Bibberz
03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
vCUltDjFrGM

It seems like a relatively safe bracket. BTW, one of his closest aides, Reggie Love, played football and basketball at Duke (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/news/story?id=3537700).

Jess, have a look at the 2:45 mark. Obama defiles the Cuse name! :spit:

I'm doing my "real" bracket in Yahoo, but I decided to register Obama's exact bracket in this ESPN group just for the hell of it. It should be interesting. :p

flmmkrz
03-18-2010, 10:25 AM
i'm in and i'm winning.

out_here_grindin
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Too bad Robert Morris couldn't become the 5th #15 seed to beat a 2.

156mphserve
03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
early upsets by Old Dominion and Murray State. I had Murray State winning. Too bad Robert Morris couldn't oust Nova but great effort by them:yeah:

bad gambler
03-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Gators were suprisingly competitive against BYU as well, only 3 point shooting from the Cougars in OT got them the win.

jcreback
03-19-2010, 06:35 AM
How about a little love for my Demon Deacons?

KarlyM
03-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Wow! It only took 3 days for my draw to go down the toilet. :lol:

bad gambler
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
My bracket :timebomb:

Minn
03-23-2010, 02:00 AM
I know the feeling.

out_here_grindin
03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
This is my worst year ever

Clay Death
03-24-2010, 04:51 AM
mississippi state.

vamooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooose.

out_here_grindin
03-25-2010, 12:39 AM
mississippi state.

vamooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooose.

Didn't quite make the tournament this year

156mphserve
03-25-2010, 03:24 AM
My bracket is screwed so I'm just going to cheer for Cornell, Washington, St. Mary's and Northern Iowa:)

156mphserve
03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/Autistic-Teen-Picks-First-Two-NCAA-Rounds-Perfectly-88916437.html

You think it's legit?

the cat
03-28-2010, 01:18 PM
West Virginia upset Kentucky to make the Final Four and the Mountaineers didn't even make a 2 point field goal in the first half. :eek: That was amazing.

out_here_grindin
03-29-2010, 01:50 AM
I will be pulling for Butler all the way

smitty8
03-29-2010, 01:55 AM
I cheer for anyone who plays against WVU, much to the dismay of the acquaintances *morons* I went to high school with. The ones who protest the loudest couldn't even get into college. :wavey:

Johnny Groove
03-29-2010, 01:55 AM
What a crazy tournament :eek:

Michigan State vs. Butler
West Virginia vs. Duke

Who picked that final 4?

TMJordan
03-29-2010, 03:49 AM
Worst final 4 ever. Look for rat face to continue to get every single fucking call and the ugly white boys will win. I'd love for Butler to win at home but it aint gonna happen.

bad gambler
03-29-2010, 05:18 AM
It's a shame Lucas is out for the Spartans. With him I would have picked them to go all the way out of the current FF

Minn
03-29-2010, 08:53 PM

West Virginia vs. Duke

Who picked that final 4? I was thinking about picking Michigan State to go far, but not this far. I even named my bracket "Spartans". I shouldn't have second-guessed myself, I guess.

out_here_grindin
03-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Worst final 4 ever. Look for rat face to continue to get every single fucking call and the ugly white boys will win. I'd love for Butler to win at home but it aint gonna happen.

I pray not. I hate Duke with an absolute passion.

156mphserve
03-30-2010, 02:10 AM

West Virginia vs. Duke

Who picked that final 4?

I had West Virginia making the final but the other 3:shrug:

savesthedizzle
03-30-2010, 02:15 AM
In my pool that I'm in for cash I played two brackets, one with Cuse winning it all ( :bigcry: ) and one with Duke :speakles: so if Duke goes all the way I get $250 :unsure: Wish me luck? :lol:

TMJordan
03-30-2010, 03:46 AM
I pray not. I hate Duke with an absolute passion.

I hate Duke more than anything in the world. Rat face gets every call and the game is a joke in reality. Baylor should have won, that horrilbe block/charge call with a few minutes left changed the game completley. A 6 point swing. FML.

smitty8
03-30-2010, 03:51 AM
I would rather have Duke win than WVU. I will have to move out of the country if WVU wins. As it is, I can't go back to West Virginia, I have already seen the photos of the craziness *ahemidiocyahem*. Bunch of bandwagon hillbillies. :rolleyes: Most of them never graduated from high school. *disclaimer: I AM from WV and did graduate from college, but not *shudder* WVU

bad gambler
03-30-2010, 03:53 AM
I think WVU will beat Duke

straitup
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Oh god I haven't posted here in forever and had to search to find a thread like this :P I had Duke vs. West Virginia in the Final 4 though! The other half sucked.

Anyways, I was thinking about it...does Butler's coach Brad Stevens remind anyone of Pete Sampras in the slightest way? It's obviously not a perfect match, but I think they look slightly similar, and Stevens has a calm demeanor when he coaches and he seems like he would have a Sampras-like personality. Maybe I'm crazy, but if anyone agrees then you should tell me :lol:

bad gambler
04-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Duke wins :mad:

bad gambler
04-06-2010, 03:46 AM
In my pool that I'm in for cash I played two brackets, one with Cuse winning it all ( :bigcry: ) and one with Duke :speakles: so if Duke goes all the way I get $250 :unsure: Wish me luck? :lol:

Drinks are on you tonight :cool:

savesthedizzle
04-06-2010, 05:41 AM
Drinks are on you tonight :cool:

:drink: :drink:

I didn't even get to see the game, but I heard it was a pretty exciting one :(

straitup
04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Sooooooo close to the perfect ending...

Minn
04-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Congrats in your other league, Jess. Congrats to DN United in this league.

out_here_grindin
04-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Sooooooo close to the perfect ending...

O man that would have been the top buzzer beater ever. Part of me died when that shot clanked off the iron

straitup
04-07-2010, 04:23 AM
O man that would have been the top buzzer beater ever. Part of me died when that shot clanked off the iron

For sure...there have been better, but nothing could top that shot going in for the national championship. If I went to Butler, I'd be holding my head up high because that was a hell of an effort

156mphserve
03-14-2011, 02:30 AM
anyone doing a bracket this year?

straitup
03-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Yup...but it's rather impossible because there's so much parody this year.

Winnipeg
03-14-2011, 05:20 AM
PM or post your email and I will invite you to a pool im running!

ibreak4coffee
03-14-2011, 05:25 AM
C'mon Hoyas :worship:

bad gambler
03-17-2011, 11:08 PM
The madness has begun

out_here_grindin
03-17-2011, 11:20 PM
Most of the discussion is going on in the college football.basketball thread. We coul move it here of everyone wants too

156mphserve
03-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Bracket comes out today, I went to the hassle of guessing what it would look like. Here is what I got

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=422714&tclass=

thoughts?

2 years ago we had a MTF competition predicting the bracket once it came out. Anyone here planning on running a MTF March Madness competition this year?

shiaben
03-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I haven't paid attention this year as much as I have the other years.

But if you wanted to know final 4 predictions, this would be mine:

Kentucky vs Missouri, Florida St. vs North Carolina

North Carolina seems to have the cake draw compared to the other 3.

But regardless, I expect Kentucky to win the entire thing. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they get KO'd before the final four given their lack of depth (they have a short bench) on top of that there are some dangerous teams in their bracket like Indiana and Connecticut. Won't be an easy run for sure even if Syracuse fails to meet them given the expulsion of their big man Melo.

Luinir
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Duke vs. Louisville, Kansas vs. Syracause

Louisville vs. Kansas

Louisville.

Snowwy
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
And it begins. I have Murray State here but I really am impressed with Colorado St in their last couple of games

out_here_grindin
03-17-2012, 02:43 AM
two 15's over 2's. Crazy only happened 4 times ever before today

RIboy
03-17-2012, 02:50 AM
1/7....Holy Cross- Lehigh 84-78 :lol:

Tzar
03-17-2012, 05:22 AM
Here's the info :)

Get in on the excitement of this year's NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament with the web's most popular bracket game. To get in the game simply complete a bracket by the first tip of the tournament. Points are awarded for each correct pick, with point values increasing as the Tournaments progress. Create or join a private group to compete amongst your friends, family, and co-workers. Or join a public group and compete against ESPN celebrities or like-minded fans from around SportsNation. Come out on top and you could win $10,000. Free to play, sign up now!

Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/en/group?groupID=4199

Group: MTF
Password: mtfmtf1

Join please! Don't leave me, Minn, Allez-Alejo and TMJordan stranded all alone. Adee-gee said he'll do it also and crazylace01 too :p So.. join join :)

It won't let me join. :sobbing:

Tzar
03-17-2012, 05:22 AM
I'll join. Not tonight, though.

Duke has this all the way...

:haha:

SloKid
03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
It won't let me join. :sobbing:
That's from 2 years ago. :facepalm: :p

shiaben
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Not sure why people are surprised to see Duke out. As a Duke fan, the entire back court was trash. Curry is not a point guard, he's actually an undersized shooting guard forced by Coach K to play the position. Austin Rivers is an overrated clown. I'm sure the families of these two, paid at least a million dollars to get their sons in this top notch basketball program since Duke is a top notch university that would love to have major donations for their research.

Well anyways, next year will be different. They'll haave (I hope) a legitimate point guard starting out. And I really hope Rivers comes off the bench, or even better yet, hope he enters the NBA draft so his abysmal presence does not show up next season. His drive ability is overrated, bounces the ball many times on his feet and turns the ball over, and he shoots tough shots rather than concentrate on open looks.

156mphserve
03-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Not sure why people are surprised to see Duke out. As a Duke fan, the entire back court was trash. Curry is not a point guard, he's actually an undersized shooting guard forced by Coach K to play the position. Austin Rivers is an overrated clown. I'm sure the families of these two, paid at least a million dollars to get their sons in this top notch basketball program since Duke is a top notch university that would love to have major donations for their research.

Well anyways, next year will be different. They'll haave (I hope) a legitimate point guard starting out. And I really hope Rivers comes off the bench, or even better yet, hope he enters the NBA draft so his abysmal presence does not show up next season. His drive ability is overrated, bounces the ball many times on his feet and turns the ball over, and he shoots tough shots rather than concentrate on open looks.

I had them losing to Xavier, sadly the rest of my bracket has not turned out as well. I had Missouri in the final 4:sad:

shiaben
03-19-2012, 06:10 PM
I had Missouri and Florida St. in my final fours, and both are currently eliminated.

This year's NCAA seems like it's LESS one sided than the previous years.

156mphserve
03-20-2012, 03:35 AM
I have Cincinnati in my final 4:)

shiaben
03-23-2012, 03:05 AM
I hope Cincinnati knocks out Ohio. They're a good side, and play smarter basketball than Ohio St. I wasn't surprised Louisville knocked out Michigan, given they have Rick Pitino as a coach. And Marjerus didn't make things any easier for Tom Izzo either.

Sooner or later Syracuse will get taken out as well given they are weaker perimeter shooters and they lack their expelled big man. If you suffer against a perimeter shooting team like Wisconsin our hopes will get crushed.

The only team that cmay create problems for North Carolina on their side of the bracket is Kansas.

out_here_grindin
03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I have seen way too many terrible end of game plays and shot selections this march madness. Players lose their heads in these moments nowadays.

shiaben
03-25-2012, 04:43 AM
As much as I respect Pitino and especially his defensive tactics and display (especially how he switched in the 2nd half to a man to man from zone), I don't think his players are going to have a chance against Kentucky. Kentucky was a nightmare for them last time. And this time it won't be any different. They might defend them well, but I still think Kentucky will control the boards. Even if Anthony Davis plays like crap, they have Gilchrist and Jones who can definitely play very physical, defend, and rebound the ball. They are very gritty players and will put it their all.

Lets first see if Kentucky can defeat this strong and athletic Baylor team (which I expect them though it won't be easy). I fancy Louisville's chances greater against Baylor, than Kentucky.

Jimnik
04-01-2012, 06:25 PM
:woohoo: :bigclap:

ROCK CHALK JAY-HAWK KAY YU!!!

Jimnik
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
You want to see madness you should have seen Mass Street here in Lawrence Kansas. The party lasted until six this morning. :aparty:

duchuy89
05-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Anyone here fill in their March Madness bracket every year? I'm not a very big fan of NCAA Basketball but I am a big fan of this tournament. So every year I watch like no college basketball at all and then watch the last week and try and get as much info as possible to fill in my bracket. Anyone got any tips for suprise teams, or overrated teams? Maybe we can get a little MTF bracket competition on the go?

You are crazy fan