03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Windian Wells is started.

Sunset of Age
03-14-2010, 01:20 AM
The match isn't over yet... :rolleyes:

OK, now it is. :p

Johnny Groove
03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
More difficult that it needed to be, but got it done in the end.

tennizen
03-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Not a bad first match from what I saw.

Arkulari
03-14-2010, 01:25 AM
got broken when serving for the first set at *5-2, apart from that, it was an okay match from Rafa

ImmzB
03-14-2010, 01:26 AM
Vamos Rafa!!

-Valhalla-
03-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Nothing of any real significance to be gleaned from a 1st rd. match against Shittler, but nevertheless, Nadal appeared to be in decent form and had good depth on his groundies.

The one big caveat is that he was hitting a ton of slice backhands which is usually a pretty good indicator he’s not fully confident in his knees/movement.

scoobs
03-14-2010, 01:27 AM
A win on two fronts, over Schuettler on the tennis front and over good taste on the fashion front.

Pray for death, or at least a redesign.

Sunset of Age
03-14-2010, 01:35 AM
Okay match, considering the awful conditions - even Rafa complained about the wind during the first set (and :lol: about his bottles being blown away), and if there's any player who usually deals well with these kind of conditions, it's Rafa.

At 5-0 in the first set I thought it would be a bakery-affair, but at that point in the match, Schuettler started to play better and Rafa got troubles with his serve (wind, I guess). Fortunately he still managed to close it out at 6-4.

Second set was of better quality from both. Key game was at 2-2, where Schuettler had to give his all to hold serve (very entertaining 35-shot rally for 30-30). After that you just felt that the match was done and dusted, as Rafa broke Schuettler's serve immediately thereafter.

In all, a good work-out for Rafa. Too many UEs for him, but not surprising considering the windy conditions. Okay performance. Keep it going. :yeah:

theseth1119
03-14-2010, 01:47 AM
Personally I'm not all that impressed. 6-4 6-4 over an old (should retire) worn-out Shuettler isn't that good really. There's no way Rafa wins this event. The following could take him out: Ancic (3rd round), Querrey or Isner (4th round), Davy or Verdasco (QF), Cilic or Chokovic (SF), or Rogie in the F (most likely not Murray, Roddick, nor Sodie). Point is there are quite a few guys out there right now who can beat him. His record against top 10 players the past 9-10 months is like 1-10 (one win over Tsonga, lost to everyone else). I wouldn't brag about his record against top 10 players from the 2009 FO to now. I don't think he'll ever be the dominaant force he once was. Maybe still mostly dominant on clay, but on grass, outdoor hard, and especially indoor hard at the end of the season, I really don't expect big results from Rafa.

moon language
03-14-2010, 01:50 AM
The wind really made a mess of it for both guys. Nadal started strong and finished strong but what happened in the middle? He doesn't seem to maintain his intensity like he used to. The way he looked in the last few games (great) compared to the end of the first set and beginning of the second (uncertain and passive) was night and day.

Sunset of Age
03-14-2010, 01:54 AM
The wind really made a mess of it for both guys. Nadal started strong and finished strong but what happened in the middle? He doesn't seem to maintain his intensity like he used to. The way he looked in the last few games (great) compared to the end of the first set and beginning of the second (uncertain and passive) was night and day.

I agree that Rafa isn't 'there' yet, but a match like this might just be what he needs to get back to full form & concentration - not at all a 'walk in the park'. And he was bothered a lot by the wind, especially on serve at those moments you mention. He'll improve I think. :)

ssj100
03-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Has Nadal ever lost in the "first round" (or first match) of any event/tournament he's ever played? I think his streak of not losing in first round matches is the longest in history?

malisha
03-14-2010, 03:08 AM
that didnt looked good Rafa:awww:

*bunny*
03-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Well done, Rafa! :yeah:
As has been already said, the wind made both of them struggle. Rafa is good at handling the wind but even he made more UEs than winners today.
Still, some of his point constructions and footwork reminded me of the final last year. OK, maybe not up to that notch but still good enough for today.

But Rafa, you'd better not wear that shorts... :o

jcempire
03-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Keep going Nadal but this not his best game for sure. If he not get his best back soon that ..........

best of luck to Nadal ONLY

scarecrows
03-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Has Nadal ever lost in the "first round" (or first match) of any event/tournament he's ever played? I think his streak of not losing in first round matches is the longest in history?

WTF last year?

Team_Roddick
03-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Not a bad start.

MrChopin
03-14-2010, 09:30 AM
Nadal's timing looked way off and his feet weren't moving quickly. Not getting enough power from the legs, particularly on the backhand side which he netted quite a bit. Draw only gets tougher from here...

A_Skywalker
03-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Personally I'm not all that impressed. 6-4 6-4 over an old (should retire) worn-out Shuettler isn't that good really. There's no way Rafa wins this event. The following could take him out: Ancic (3rd round), Querrey or Isner (4th round), Davy or Verdasco (QF), Cilic or Chokovic (SF), or Rogie in the F (most likely not Murray, Roddick, nor Sodie). Point is there are quite a few guys out there right now who can beat him. His record against top 10 players the past 9-10 months is like 1-10 (one win over Tsonga, lost to everyone else). I wouldn't brag about his record against top 10 players from the 2009 FO to now. I don't think he'll ever be the dominaant force he once was. Maybe still mostly dominant on clay, but on grass, outdoor hard, and especially indoor hard at the end of the season, I really don't expect big results from Rafa.

I think we agree, there is no way Rafa beats that opponents in that form.

coonster14
03-14-2010, 11:16 AM
keep getting them wins RAFA!!! :D

*Jean*
03-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Rainer :sad: :hug:

alfonsojose
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Rainer :sad: It was so hard for him wirth the find but he fought :yeah: Some nie rallies .. and i think Nadal wasn't impressive at all.

FiBeR
03-14-2010, 02:08 PM

i remember ferrero upsetting him on rome r1

Xristos
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
He lost in Cincy 2005 to Berdych in the first round.

Certinfy
03-14-2010, 02:12 PM
He lost in Cincy 2005 to Berdych in the first round.Back when Berdych could actually play tennis. :o

Noleta
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
A win is a win..hopefully he'll work his way through the tournament.Vamos Rafa:bounce:

Yves.
03-14-2010, 04:06 PM
WTF last year?

He didn't lose in the first round, only if you count the RR in the WTF.

Yves.
03-14-2010, 04:40 PM
The thread title is wrong, it's either Schuettler or Schüttler ;)

Mateya
03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
This is more asociated with his clay season campagne, but I couldn't resist. :angel:

http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0314/oeq-RAFZIL.jpg

scarecrows
03-14-2010, 06:35 PM
He didn't lose in the first round, only if you count the RR in the WTF.

why not?