Nadal plans to play everything [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal plans to play everything

tkr
03-13-2010, 05:58 AM
According to (the not so reliable) tennis.com Nadal plans to play everything this spring.

Hmm...doesn't seem to smart or what???

tkr
03-13-2010, 05:58 AM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=4563&zoneid=4

coonster14
03-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Rafa needs to play a lot of matches in order to get back his rhythm and consistency. but if anything, i hope he skips Madrid if needed, look at what happened there last year, got stuck in a 4hr 2min match with Nole in the SF, had hardly anything left in the tank in the final against Federer, and from there, his whole year went into a quick downward spiral.

hope to see Rafa dominating the clay season once more, with Djokovic, Federer and Del Potro also playing at their best level.

HKz
03-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Adds to injury excuse.
Let me know when his knees explode.

Frufru
03-13-2010, 07:52 AM
In the article Rafa is interpersonating Djoke. He apparently was at the top of the match with Murray :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

At the Australian Open, where he was forced to retire in a hotly-contested match against Andy Murray in the quarterfinals, the third-ranked Spaniard felt that he was in position to pull off the victory and was a real threat to defend his title.

“My feeling was I ready to win,” Nadal said. “I was believing I can win the tournament there. I had the chance against Andy, had break in the first, break in the second, and I was playing at very good level. Both players played really well, and I feel like I was at the top the whole time.”

madmax
03-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Nadull gave his all against Mugray and still came up well short...needless to say moonballer's glory days are well past him

krystlel
03-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Hmm I think Nadal was thoroughly outplayed by Murray that match. He wasn't as close as he suggests.

03-13-2010, 10:12 AM
What a twit this Nudull.

He'll be in a zimmer frame in his 30's at this rate.

Yves.
03-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Everything? So he'll play every single week till RG?

Horatio Caine
03-13-2010, 10:21 AM
:lol: Murray was out-playing Nadal at the AO...didn't see Nadal coming back, even with a rocket strapped to his famous ass.

When he says 'everything' I'm assuming it will be Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, RG, Queen's Club and Wimbledon...so, potentially, just 4 full rest weeks (and each in isolation).

Not very wise and this will surely reduce his chances a little of claiming that elusive US Open title. If not for the knees (tendonitis can/will flare up), surely just general fatigue.

But the upside for him is that if he practically dominates the clay season again, he will earn enough points to reclaim his top 2-3 ranking (and maybe push for #1 again, depending on Federer's schedule/results). Bad news for Murray (who is being ridiculous with his schedule), the current crappy version of Djokovic, and the injured Del Potro.

Yves.
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
:lol: Murray was out-playing Nadal at the AO...didn't see Nadal coming back, even with a rocket strapped to his famous ass.

When he says 'everything' I'm assuming it will be Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid, RG, Queen's Club and Wimbledon...so, potentially, just 4 full rest weeks (and each in isolation).

Not very wise and this will surely reduce his chances a little of claiming that elusive US Open title. If not for the knees (tendonitis can/will flare up), surely just general fatigue.

But the upside for him is that if he practically dominates the clay season again, he will earn enough points to reclaim his top 2-3 ranking (and maybe push for #1 again, depending on Federer's schedule/results). Bad news for Murray (who is being ridiculous with his schedule), the current crappy version of Djokovic, and the injured Del Potro.

What about it?

oematoema
03-13-2010, 10:26 AM
What? No doubles?!? Lazy clown!

Horatio Caine
03-13-2010, 10:35 AM
What about it?

Well he's barely playing anything. Dubai is the only optional event he planned to play before the start of the grass court season. No Monte Carlo or Barcelona.

The good thing is that he will be fresh to play the mandatory events; the bad thing is that he is heavily reliant on strong results (at least SF in Masters, QF in Slams) in each of them. Considering the lack of match practice, his predominantly pushy style, and the strength of competition in these events (plus the fact that he is weakest on clay), this is a plan that is more likely to do harm than good imo...ranking could suffer a little longer-term (e.g. risk of dropping top 4 status perhaps in 12 months), and that, in itself, could make it harder for him to win that elusive Slam if he hasn't done it by then (and I think US Open is his only remaining hope for 2010, and that will be very tough anyway).

He needs to play some optional events...someone should tell him that he isn't Federer. :rolleyes:

Forehander
03-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Murray did outplay Nadal in the Australian Open. But honestly lets try being in Rafa's shoes and think in his perspective. If you watch the match again, you will find alot of things Nadal as a tennis player can take positive from the match:

1.) He did have his chances up despite Murray playing in the zone. So there is still a way for him to fix this match up problem.

2.) To me, that was the best hard court match I've probably seen Nadal played. He forced himself to play a style he is still not use to yet, it was the most aggressive display of tennis from him. He did well too, pounding the ball with ferocious power side to side and taking the initiative, but in the end clearly it was his forehand that lead to his downfall, which of course always has room for improvement.

If I was Nadal,I wouldn't even feel sad at all losing that match, in fact I'd be happy and I'm pretty sure that's the case with him. He right now sees himself going in the right direction by being more and more adapt to a whole new level of aggression. He'll be back

DrJules
03-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Well he's barely playing anything. Dubai is the only optional event he planned to play before the start of the grass court season. No Monte Carlo or Barcelona.

The good thing is that he will be fresh to play the mandatory events; the bad thing is that he is heavily reliant on strong results (at least SF in Masters, QF in Slams) in each of them. Considering the lack of match practice, his predominantly pushy style, and the strength of competition in these events (plus the fact that he is weakest on clay), this is a plan that is more likely to do harm than good imo...ranking could suffer a little longer-term (e.g. risk of dropping top 4 status perhaps in 12 months), and that, in itself, could make it harder for him to win that elusive Slam if he hasn't done it by then (and I think US Open is his only remaining hope for 2010, and that will be very tough anyway).

He needs to play some optional events...someone should tell him that he isn't Federer. :rolleyes:

Murray is taking advantage of one of the few periods in the year (AO to IW) when you can avoid overplaying.

From IW to W there is lots of tennis if you play all the MS, FO, W and Queens. By W he will certainly not of played too little if he is not injured. W to Canadian Open will probably be the next rest period for Murray.

dodo
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
In the article Rafa is interpersonating Djoke. He apparently was at the top of the match with Murray :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

i dont think thats what he is saying at all. just that he had his chances, which, had he converted, would have potentially put him in a winning position. good for him. it was a good match by both, aside from the shameful finish-line retirement.

Noleta
03-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Hope he skips Barcelona and Madrid.But if he's feeling 100%.....He's the only one that knows his body limits:shrug:

habibko
03-13-2010, 12:16 PM
he should play the doubles too.

Horatio Caine
03-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Murray is taking advantage of one of the few periods in the year (AO to IW) when you can avoid overplaying.

From IW to W there is lots of tennis if you play all the MS, FO, W and Queens. By W he will certainly not of played too little if he is not injured. W to Canadian Open will probably be the next rest period for Murray.

I'm not disputing that it has been a good opportunity for him to avoid over-playing...but imo he has taken it to an opposite extreme. I think he should have been serious about an optional between Australian Open and IW (and by his press comments he obviously wasn't that bothered about Dubai).

Yes, he doesn't really need to play an extra event in the European clay season, although, in hindsight, we might find that it would have been beneficial (for example, if he doesn't do well in Rome).

Yes, there is no need for him to play between Wimbledon and Canada Masters...good rest period.

But the point being that by September it looks like he will have only played one '250' event (Queen's Club) and one '500' event. Unlikely that he plays more than two optional events (probably both being '500' status - Tokyo and Valencia) after the US Open. So, assuming that he doesn't clean up in these events (certainly at Queen's he might fall short), he will have lost a lot of potential to score good points at this level.

This means that he is effectively out of the running for #1 (I don't see him dominating at Masters and Slams), will surely be passed by Nadal and Djokovic (both will probably score heavily in optionals) and would most likely have given Del Potro also an opportunity to pass him (unlikely now to happen considering JMDP's setback).

timafi
03-13-2010, 12:44 PM
if Nadal plays everything he can kiss his knees goodbye:shrug:

l_mac
03-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Nadal said he has the tournaments on his schedule (MC, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid) but will be willing to drop one if he is tired or carrying an injury.

This is not new information. He, and the ever vocal Uncle Toni, have been saying that for many, many months. Last year he felt a lot of pressure to play Madrid, and he has said he won't make that mistake again.

Personally, I think it's Barcelona he should skip. But the chances of that happening are small. :awww: Tiny, even.

I don't see what was wrong with what he said about the Murray match :confused: He was playing close to the top of his game and he did have chances. He was a break ahead in each of the first two sets. He did not say that he was "on top" of Murray :rolleyes:

Andi-M
03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Unlikely he'll be winning GS with that schedule. Cos his knees are just not up to it. Needs to skip Barca and possibly Madrid imo.

Abc Tennis
03-13-2010, 01:07 PM
No Monte Carlo or Barcelona.

He clearly said in a Dubai's press conference that he plans to play in MC or in Barcelona, which one depends on how far he will go in Miami.

Back to the topic, I hope for Rafa he can see reason sometimes in the future...

Yves.
03-13-2010, 01:09 PM
As much as I don't like him, I still think it's sad so see him having so much trouble with his knees :sad:

Speed of Light
03-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Rafa will go unbeaten this year from now.. my heart and mind says so...

philosophicalarf
03-13-2010, 01:10 PM
That's Nadal for you - going to go down firing, playing the way he knows. He'll be retired in 2 years.

You have to respect the stubbornness :-) I suppose it's a major part of what makes up his success though.

tkr
03-13-2010, 01:39 PM
That's Nadal for you - going to go down firing, playing the way he knows. He'll be retired in 2 years.

You have to respect the stubbornness :-) I suppose it's a major part of what makes up his success though.

Being stubborn is absolutely not the same as being stupid...

jcempire
03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
He needs to take care of himself than playing more match that Injury cost him a lot that he got to learn something from it

Jimnik
03-13-2010, 02:13 PM
MC, Barca or Rome - one of them has to be dropped.

Otherwise it's back-to-back Roland Garros titles for Fed.

scarecrows
03-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't see what was wrong with what he said about the Murray match :confused: He was playing close to the top of his game and he did have chances. He was a break ahead in each of the first two sets. He did not say that he was "on top" of Murray :rolleyes:

I agree with l_mac
he said that he was playing at his best not better than Murray

Goldenoldie
03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Nadal put his career at risk by playing too much, and has decided he will continue to play the same amount. :confused:

Murray played a bit too much last year, but has gone to the opposite extreme, and is surely playing too little this year. :confused:

Who is the bigger idiot?

Why is it that 99% of posters on MTF can see the ideal schedules for the players, but the players themselves and their advisors can't? :confused::confused::confused:

Johnny Groove
03-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I think Barcelona should be upgraded to TMS status and Madrid downgraded to 500 status.

No problems then.

Il Primo Uomo
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Dude, I'm rooting for you but this whole thing it's getting out of hands.

Why doesn't he just drop Barcelona for God's sake? Didn't he learn the lesson by then? Sometimes I wonder if he's not just as dumb as a bag or rocks. Hope he proves me wrong and get his GS winning groove on, sick of Federer's picking the slams up left, right an center :sobbing:

SetSampras
03-13-2010, 04:25 PM
And then he plans to be in a wheelchair by next season. Great strategy and scheduling Rafa.:rolleyes:

bhathiya9999
03-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Nadal will take all grand slams for sure.. love Nadal

tea
03-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Rafa.:D Let all your plans be fulfilled, champ.:hug:

born_on_clay
03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't get it - what's this is about?
Rafa is to play all Masters tournaments on clay and one "500" in Barcelona
Then RG
It's normal for him. You have to take into consideration thah he's played only 2 tournaments in 2010 so far. Moreover it's clay - better surface for his knees and the best one to build up some confidence
And he isn't playing everything as the thread's title says
In my opinion if he will be able to defend MC,Barcelona and Rome he will skip Madrit.
It all depends on his results

Corey Feldman
03-13-2010, 05:11 PM
great news

abraxas21
03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Nadal put his career at risk by playing too much, and has decided he will continue to play the same amount. :confused:

Murray played a bit too much last year, but has gone to the opposite extreme, and is surely playing too little this year. :confused:

Who is the bigger idiot?

Why is it that 99% of posters on MTF can see the ideal schedules for the players, but the players themselves and their advisors can't? :confused::confused::confused:

:lol:

Persimmon
03-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't get it - what's this is about?
Rafa is to play all Masters tournaments on clay and one "500" in Barcelona
Then RG
It's normal for him. You have to take into consideration thah he's played only 2 tournaments in 2010 so far. Moreover it's clay - better surface for his knees and the best one to build up some confidence
And he isn't playing everything as the thread's title says
In my opinion if he will be able to defend MC,Barcelona and Rome he will skip Madrit.
It all depends on his results

The problem is Nadal is not 18 anymore. He can't play EVERYTHING on clay and be 100% fit for the FO like when he was younger :wavey:

abraxas21
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
People, Nadal is not a little kid. He knows what he's doing better than we do.

tkr
03-13-2010, 05:39 PM
People, Nadal is not a little kid. He knows what he's doing better than we do.

Yeah right...like when he was interviewed when he was injured: "it's Barcelona..means a lot too me..will play no matter what,no..hihihi".

When you say things like that, you don't know what's best for yourself....

Persimmon
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
If Nadal and his entourage had some sense they would skip Barcelona and Madrid, no matter if we are talking about tournaments in Spain. Being healthy for the FO should be the priority not pleasing the Spanish fans.

abraxas21
03-13-2010, 05:43 PM
there's a difference between one a player says and what he does. in retrospect, we can say he should have skipped Madrid last year but I'm sure he learned from it and won't make the same mistake this year.

He and his team are the ones who know better what his physical shape is and how his knees truly are so I trust him better than any guy around here to make his decisions in his career.

The way people talk around here, you'd think they're Nadal's personal doctor lol

Swiss Mountain
03-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Rafa tried so much to beat Federer express for all these years and this is the results; he can't holp up against Fed's game;

Now we can say : "Nadal have won more battles but Federer won The War".

Mechlan
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I expect Nadal will drop Madrid, he just doesn't want to go on record saying that right now. It's still a heavy schedule, but most of it is clay.

siloe26
03-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Nadull gave his all against Mugray and still came up well short...needless to say moonballer's glory days are well past him

Not as much as Shriekapova's glory days, I fear. I'm more optimistic for Rafa.

marcRD
03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Some people have a deathwish, Nadal secretly wants to play until his knees are litteraly broken and he finaly can stop running for his uncle and rest in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Har-Tru
03-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Well at least he's consistent with his decision making.

Midnight Ninja
03-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Nadal is stupid beyond belief. It is one thing to play all Masters events and a completely different scenario to play doubles as well.

Did he really need to enter the doubles tournament? I know it isn't too much work since they won't take it too seriously. Even Federer is sensible as the only tournament he entered doubles was his home tournament in Basel. Indian Wells is NOT Mallorca and neither is it clay.

Lopez
03-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Rafa tried so much to beat Federer express for all these years and this is the results; he can't holp up against Fed's game;

Now we can say : "Nadal have won more battles but Federer won The War".

Pyrrhic victory

Vida
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
I read on bozo's blog that nadal started wearing insoles, and like its going to help him a lot regarding the 'knees situation'.

not sure about that, if its that much helpful how come he didnt use those earlier?

l_mac
03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
I read on bozo's blog that nadal started wearing insoles, and like its going to help him a lot regarding the 'knees situation'.

not sure about that, if its that much helpful how come he didnt use those earlier?

Bodo with up to the minute info as always!

He's been wearing insoles since 2006. :yeah:

Vida
03-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Bodo with up to the minute info as always!

He's been wearing insoles since 2006. :yeah:

ok, thanks for the info. didnt know that.

Start da Game
03-15-2010, 06:55 PM
this is something which never seizes to mystify his fans........