Mark Philippoussis - without fans!? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mark Philippoussis - without fans!?

Kristen
09-06-2004, 07:57 AM
I'm curious... because my post about the pepsi ads was the last one, and it was a while ago.

Do you guys still like Mark, or things have been so crap you'd rather not talk about him for a while?

tennis4eva
09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
:worship: I still love Mark, and I consider him one of the best guys on the tour really. Its sad that this year has been so bad for him :( I wanted to cry when I saw that he lost the 4th set tiebreak to Davydenko and then had to retire in his first round match at the USO. I still have that impression of watching him live, he's so big and powerful, its hard to believe it until you really see it. Is Mark going to be remembered as a talent who never lived up to expectations? I hope not because he deserves better! :kiss: I'm a Scud fan forever!!

Snoopy_Girl
09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I like Mark too, he just doesn't have a whole lot of hardcore fans anymore, I think.. Guess his year has just been too slow and his game is so inconsistent (not taking the injuries into account)... All the injuries also aren't helping, because you never get to see him play. And last but not least, for me, personally, him withdrawing from Rotterdam last minute (where he would've been for the first time) without a real valid reason also did not make him more likeable :p

Guess he's close to retirement, his body is just giving him obvious hints that it wasn't built for tennis at this level. I would really like to see him play for a couple of years, but I think that's too much to ask for :(

tennis4eva
09-07-2004, 05:41 PM
I read somewhere that Mark plans to retire in 4 years. Then he plans to concentrate on his men's clothing line MP. He is working with australian designer Bruno Schiavi and the line is supposed to be launched this November in Australia and in Britain and the USA in March 2005. He said quote " I want my new career to be even bigger!"

I can imagine Mark as a fashion designer I think ;)
I guess all he has to do is wear the stuff and people will start buying it like crazy because he looks so cool :lol:

Lisbeth
09-08-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm still a Mark fan. It's just that this year he has played so little and lost so early that's there's really nothing to discuss :(

I hope he plays the Davis Cup in September.

Good point about him just having to wear the clothes for them to look good ;)

Kristen
09-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks for voting guys! lol... I was just curious, and hopefully he'll do something good against Morocco in Perth this month :) Take some of the limelight away from another Aussie *wont mention any names ~cough~Lleyton~cough~*

Lisbeth
09-09-2004, 07:49 AM
Well as you know I like Lleyton too ... but nevertheless one of my favourite DC stories is from the final last year when Flip went into the locker room after losing the 4th set to find Lleyton warming up for his match. Flip asked what the hell he was doing and apparently was so offended at the assumption he would lose that it inspired him to win the 5th set 6-0 ;)

So let's hope for a repeat v Morocco - though ideally in 3 sets not 5 heart stopping ones!

Socket
09-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Well as you know I like Lleyton too ... but nevertheless one of my favourite DC stories is from the final last year when Flip went into the locker room after losing the 4th set to find Lleyton warming up for his match. Flip asked what the hell he was doing and apparently was so offended at the assumption he would lose that it inspired him to win the 5th set 6-0 ;)

So let's hope for a repeat v Morocco - though ideally in 3 sets not 5 heart stopping ones!

The decision to have Lleyton start to warm up would have been Fitzgerald's, and it was a prudent move considering the scoreline at that time. I heard the story a slightly different way -- that, after they won, Mark joked that he asked Lleyton what the hell he was doing.

I heard a rumor that Mark's father was close to hysterical in the locker room at that moment, and was screaming at Mark. Have you heard this?

In any event, Mark has withdrawn from consideration for this tie. From what I'd been reading, it wasn't even sure that he would have been picked, which is very sad.

Neely
09-13-2004, 08:50 PM
I still like Mark and I think that it's very sad for him and all his fans that he couldn't get any good results this year and had so many losses... so there are not that much, at least not tennis-related things, to talk about him right now, the whole year long already...actually they are talking more about him at Delta's forums than here at MTF :rolleyes: :shrug: :lol:

Socket
09-13-2004, 10:33 PM
So what do you think was(were) the reason(s) that Mark did so poorly this year? I can understand being down for a few weeks after he got bounced at the AO, and Cash was so critical of him, but that can't hardly account for the rest of the year. I wonder if he's just burned out. He's been around for a long time, and has had loads of injuries.

Kristen
09-14-2004, 06:03 AM
From my friends yahoo group for Mark and Magnus. Poor girl, there's really not much to say about either of these guys!

Sydney youngster Todd Reid has been called up for his Davis Cup team debut against Morocco in Perth with Mark Philippoussis ruled out of this month's World Group promotion-relegation tie.

Tennis Australia said team regular Philippoussis was forced out by the gluteal muscle injury which caused his fifth set retirement in the first round of the US Open.

Reid, ranked No.107, joins world No.3 Lleyton Hewitt, No.84 Wayne Arthurs and doubles star Todd Woodbridge in the four-man team for the tie to be played on grass at Royal Kings Park from September 24- 26.

Philippoussis played a key role in winning Davis Cup titles for Australia in 1999 and 2003 but his omission is less of a blow because he has struggled badly for form this year, suffering 12 first round losses in a dismal season as his ranking slid to No.57.

Fitzgerald has indicated that 33-year-old Arthurs is likely to serve as Australia's No.2 singles player behind Hewitt.

Reid, a 20-year-old from Sydney, has been a regular hitting partner for the Davis Cup Team since 2003.

The 2002 Junior Wimbledon champion reached the quarterfinals of the
Australian Men's Hardcourts in Adelaide and the adidas International in Sydney early this year.

He also recorded an impressive win over then world No.5 Gaston Gaudio in July's Montreal tournament in the Tennis Masters Series.

"He (Reid) has certainly put in the hard yards as a hitting partner, and has benefited enormously from working closely with players such as Lleyton and Mark," said Fitzgerald. "In 1991 another rookie was blooded into Davis Cup Team in Perth. That rookie was Todd Woodbridge, who has gone on to become one of Australia's greatest ever Davis Cup players.

"Now we are introducing another Todd into the team, and we hope this will also be the beginning of another great Australian Davis Cup career.

"Although we will certainly miss Mark, I look forward to welcoming him back into the team early next year," he said. Australia must win this tie to remain in the World Group in 2005 but Fitzgerald remains confident.

"In 2002, we were in the same position of having to play a qualifying round against India in Adelaide. We all looked at that tie as the start of our push towards another final appearance the following year - a goal which we successfully achieved. I know this team is just as committed to that goal."
--------------------------
hehe but how amusing would it be to have aus have to qualify for world group again :eek: Kind of nice for the rest of the world to see. I feel sorry for mark and his sore ass. Todd Reid eh. Little Lleyton, to me. He's pretty fiesty on court :tape: and was so annoying in the match against Massu in Sydney (yeah, I did hear all of Massu's grunts!) Should be an interesting tie! :lol:

Lisbeth
09-14-2004, 06:55 AM
LOL, I'm not criticising Lleyton for warming up, I just like Mark's reaction ;) There's a few stories around about Mr P. yelling at Mark - don't know how many are true but he does seem like a very emotional guy - he often shows love and happiness too so I guess that offsets the occasional anger.

I agree, I don't think it's a bad thing for Aus to have to qualify at all. It's not good to get complacent. Todd's definitely a fiesty little guy but he is very committed and I'd be glad to see him get to play in the tie.

As for Mark's form, who knows? The injuries haven't helped and maybe his confidence took a knock. I just hope he'll be back soon.

merle
09-18-2004, 07:42 AM
So what do you think was(were) the reason(s) that Mark did so poorly this year? I can understand being down for a few weeks after he got bounced at the AO, and Cash was so critical of him, but that can't hardly account for the rest of the year.

You know, it's not easy to get back your confidence. Some people handle it better, some people don't.
BTW, I still like Mark, and I hope too that he'll still be around for some years. :)

Jexy
09-19-2004, 12:45 AM
I hope Mark will soon return to his top form. All these injuries are probably not only affecting his game but his confidence in his game as well.... MARK! come back to us! :)

Canuck_Chick
09-20-2004, 09:22 PM
I still love Mark :inlove:. Hopefully he'll play better in 2005 and make another run at Wimby :)...

Jexy
09-21-2004, 05:32 PM
ya... hopefully he'll get better soon!...

best wishes mark! * sends positive health thoughts* :lol:

alfonsojose
09-21-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm fan of his .. with his clothes off ;) :drool:

SubtropicalMan
09-22-2004, 02:37 AM
Philippoussis sucks as a player. Just a talented playboy. Yes, he will be recognized as one of the most blatant wasters of talent in sport. It's too bad really. I've never seen a player make the least amount of use with the most amount of talent. I think if he worked harder, he'd have been injured less.

Snoopy_Girl
09-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Sure :rolleyes: