Indian Wells Thread - Rafael Nadal - Indian Wells CHAMPION!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indian Wells Thread - Rafael Nadal - Indian Wells CHAMPION!!

l_mac
03-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Rafa is finally on his way to IW :rolleyes:

He would have been as well playing Davis Cup.

-QgceQpYf0w

:hearts:

No Xisca, but Shakira is in LA :cool:

born_on_clay
03-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Finally an opportunity to see Rafa on court. What a relief. Just hope he is fit. Vamos !

ImmzB
03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Vamos Rafa!!

Luinir
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Vamos Braveheart :worship:

tennizen
03-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Vamos Rafira!

MIT Prediction: WIN.

Getta
03-09-2010, 07:39 PM
winner.

Getta
03-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Main Draw

[1] Federer (SUI) vs BYE
Hanescu (ROU) vs Chela (ARG)
Clement (FRA) vs Luczak (AUS)
BYE vs [27] Baghdatis (CYP)

[18] Robredo (ESP) vs BYE
Stakhovsky (UKR) vs Odesnik (USA)
Sela (ISR) vs (WC) Levine (USA)
BYE vs [14] Stepanek (CZE)

[12]Monfils (FRA) vs BYE
Gasquet (FRA) vs Gruel (GER)
Qualifier vs [WC] Nalbandian (ARG)
BYE vs [22] Melzer (AUT)

[30] Tipsarevic (SRB) vs BYE
De Bakker (NED) vs Daniel (BRA)
Qualifier vs Hernandez (ESP)
BYE vs [7] Roddick (USA)

[4] Murray (GBR) vs BYE
(WC) Ginepri (USA) vs Seppi (ITA)
Lorenzi (ITA) vs Russell (USA)
BYE vs [32] Andreev (RUS)

[23] Karlovic (CRO) vs BYE
Almagro (ESP) vs Zverev (RUS)
Blake (USA) vs Gimeno-Traver (ESP)
BYE vs [13] Ferrer (ESP)

[9] Tsonga (FRA) vs BYE
Llodra (FRA) vs Qualifier
Qualifier vs Zeballos (ARG)
BYE vs [24] Montanes (ESP)

[28] Lopez (ESP) vs BYE
Mathieu (FRA) vs Becker (GER)
Mayer (GER) vs Korolev (KAZ)
BYE vs [6] Soderling (SWE)

=========================================

[5] Davydenko (RUS) vs BYE
Chiudinelli (SUI) vs Gulbis (LAT)
Cuevas (URU) vs Gil (POR)
BYE vs [29] Troicki (SRB)

[19] Berdych (CZE) vs BYE
Falla (COL) vs Serra (FRA)
Qualifier vs A. Beck (GER)
BYE vs [10] Verdasco (ESP)

[15] Isner (USA) vs BYE
Qualifier vs Qualifier
Starace (ITA) vs Chardy (FRA)
BYE vs [17] Querrey (USA)

[31] Benneteau (FRA) vs BYE
Qualifier vs Ancic (CRO)
Qualifier vs Qualifier
BYE vs [B][3] Nadal (ESP)

[8] Cilic (CRO) vs BYE
Garcia-Lopez (ESP) vs Lacko (SVK)
(WC) Moya (ESP) vs Qualifier
[26] Bellucci (BRA) vs BYE

[21] Monaco (ARG) vs BYE
O. Rochus (BEL) vs Fognini (ITA)
Ram (USA) vs Koellerer (AUT)
BYE vs [11] Ferrero (ESP)

[16] Simon (FRA) vs BYE
Mayer (ARG) vs Qualifier
Dent (USA) vs [WC] Harrison (USA)
BYE vs [20] Ljubicic (CRO)

[25] Kohlschreiber (GER) vs BYE
C. Rochus (BEL) vs Petzschner (GER)
Berrer (GER) vs Fish (USA)
BYE vs [2] Djokovic (SRB)

tennizen
03-09-2010, 10:19 PM
So weird to see his name somewhere in the middle.

Minn
03-10-2010, 01:35 AM
Yes. :sad:

Semis, Metis.

acionescu
03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Am I allowed to pick? :awww:

MariaV
03-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Sigh, I don't even know what to pick. :o OK let's go with QF. :D Bamosssssss!!!!!!!! :rocker:

Foxy
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
I am 2 from 2 this year and I pick WIN!!! This is his fav HC tournament. If he can't get on top here...

MariaV
03-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Careful Foxy, he's just coming back again without a matchplay for a long while. :o I know I know, I should also always pick WIN but this time I'm not sure, a qf loss would be better than yet another loss in the final... and to Davy. :( :mad:

JolŠnGagů
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
MIT prediction: QF

Betty
03-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Sf

greenhotchilipep
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Semi Final.

( but i hope he win :))

born_on_clay
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
MIT: Runner up, please ;)

Metis
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
It's been such a long time :awww:

How far will Rafa go in IW? (you could win 1000 points http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/cancan.gif)

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Certinfy, Metis
QF - JolŠnGagů, MariaV
SF - Betty, greenhotchilipep, Minn, nashty
F - born_on_clay
W - Foxy, Getta, Kamil92, Luinir, tennizen, Snoo Foo, star

tennizen
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Tignor and Metis think alike:rolleyes:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2010/03/sighting-land-indian-wells-previews.html

Getta
03-11-2010, 03:29 PM

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2010/03/sighting-land-indian-wells-previews.html

here's another preview (http://sportsthenandnow.com/2010/03/10/federer-to-nadal-indian-wells-delivers-the-best-from-top-to-bottom/).

funny thing about these two previews is that both describe Isner as the dark horse candidate in the third quarter. :scratch:

Foxy
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Both previews suck. Denko in SF? WTF? No chance in hell.

Certinfy
03-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Round of 16.

Snoo Foo
03-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Win

star
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
MIT: WIN

:banana:

Serenidad
03-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi, Linda!

Luinir
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Win

nashty
03-12-2010, 12:54 PM
sf.

Metis
03-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Am I allowed to pick? :awww:

Hmmm... hmmm... hmmm... what the hell, go ahead!

:scared: :scared: :scared:

great minds :sport:

Certinfy is trying to steal my thunder. :(

Kamil92
03-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Win, of course :)

Metis
03-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Update:

How far will Rafa go in IW? (you could win 1000 points http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/cancan.gif)

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Certinfy, Metis
QF - JolŠnGagů, MariaV
F - born_on_clay

Come on people, not much time left to submit your predictions!

born_on_clay
03-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Rafa def. Schuettler 64 64
March 13, 2010

R. NADAL/R. Schuettler

6-4, 6-4

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. It looked like conditions were pretty difficult out there.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, difficult ones today. It was, well, in the beginning well, today when I went to practice in the morning was perfect conditions, no? I feel really well practicing.
And when I went on court, the weather completely changed, so it was difficult to adapt. But, you know, I start the match playing well.
Later, when I playing in favor of the wind, it was very difficult for me with the backhand, because I feel it if I only touch the ball, the ball was out, went too much.
But it was a good start with the conditions for me. Very happy.

Q. Physically how's your condition, because it looks like you're moving around well again?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Thank you. I'm fine.

Q. How close are you to being where you want to be?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. No, I'm happy to be here. Happy how I am today, and I am ready to try everything.

Q. No worries?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always worries, but everybody has. (laughter.)

Q. But the knees feel fine?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. Good.
RAFAEL NADAL: Thank you.

Q. So tonight could you try a lot of things on court, or were you just going out and saying, I'm going to play my normal game and see if I get the results...
RAFAEL NADAL: No, tonight is no chance to try different things, no, because the conditions was very difficult. And only thing is try to win the match, play acceptable, and I did.
I think I feel really well with the forehand. That's very important to my game, and maybe I can play better with the better conditions with the backhand.
I wasn't serve bad if we know how tough was serving today. So, yeah, I am practicing really well, so that's very important.

Q. Last night was incredible. Four of the greatest male players of all time on court raising a lot of money for an important cause.

Q. And then it got a little difficult or got a lot of back and forth with especially Andre and Pete. Could you tell us what your thoughts were when there was all that back and forth between them?
RAFAEL NADAL: During the match, no, because I didn't understand nothing. (laughter.) No, that's the true. They speak very fast for me.
So, yeah, for me it was a good event. In my opinion, we did important thing, and we hope I hope everybody help to Haiti, because we don't have to forget they still need help and help all the time.

Q. So was this a time when you were glad your English could not pick up all of the...
RAFAEL NADAL: I was very happy I didn't understand nothing. (laughter.)

Q. I know you didn't understand a lot, but could you feel the tension between Sampras and Agassi?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, not on court. And outside, no, for sure. For sure, none.

Q. But definitely in the locker room?
RAFAEL NADAL: The locker room?

Q. The locker room, yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. No?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. We was together before the match, four, all four, talking there.

Q. What was that like? It must have been pretty special to have the four of you talking. Can you share a little bit what that was like to have the four of you talking in the locker room?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, for me, you know, I tried to I didn't know. Was the first time for me to met with Sampras. I only watch him play one time in Stuttgart a long time ago when I have 12 years old, so maybe '99 or something like this. So it was special for me I meet with him. And for sure the same time was a pleasure. With Andre, I met him before. And with Roger for sure, no?
So, yeah, it was a nice experience, and for sure I was very happy to be part of the event.

Q. Do you think you and Roger maybe get along a little better than Pete and Andre do? Do you think you get on a little better than Pete and Andre do, maybe?
RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.) I don't know, no? We have good relationship with Roger, and Andre and Pete, I didn't say. I didn't see nothing strange, no, you know. In the court there is a joke, so...

Q. Can you compare how you feel and how you're playing right now as opposed to a year ago when you came here and won? Is your condition close to the same?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Yeah. I am not feeling -- yeah, I'm feeling okay.

Q. Is your tennis at the same place?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every year is completely different. I always say the same when somebody is trying to compare every year. I never like to comparison between years, because the situation always is different.
But I am playing well. I am playing enough well to try to have a good result here, and that's what I gonna try, no?
If not, I gonna keep working because I'm in the right way. I started the season playing really well, so I was very happy how I started. Later I have the problem with the knee.
But for me, seriously, the last four months of the last year was tough for me, because I didn't see the way how to play well because I had problem and was difficult to get the rhythm.
But now, no. Now, no. I started playing the season really well and feeling on the top level another time in my game. You know, when you get a little bit injury, seems like you have to start another time. But I think I am well. That's important.

Q. Are you using Indian Wells and Miami for more preparation for the upcoming clay court season, or are you giving it the same amount of value throughout the whole...
RAFAEL NADAL: Every tournament for me is really important. When I go to tournament, I only think in that tournament. I never think about the next. I love Indian Wells. I love Miami. I love the clay season.
But every tournament is really important. I'm focused on this one right now.

Q. After last night when you came off court and you were told what Sampras and Agassi were saying to each other, what did you think of it all?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, it was you know, at the same time is not be easy be all the time with the speaker. Seems like you have to say something all the time, and finally I don't have any problem because for me difficult to say a lot of things in English.
But, you know, for the rest is not easy have to talk another time, I have to be nice all the time. They, I think they try to be to have fun there. I think they did.
You know, you understand what they said. I didn't understand. I don't feel -- I didn't feel any tension. That's what can I say, no?

Q. By the way, your English is great, okay? So you're doing great. Talk about the draw ahead. Do you look at the draw and the road ahead in this tournament for yourself?
RAFAEL NADAL: I play against Mario now, no? I play against Mario, and we will see what's happen next match, no? Every tournament I go day by day.
Sure, I know the draw, but for me, the point is Mario right now.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports....

l_mac
03-15-2010, 11:33 PM
RafaRoo squeaks thru vs Mario 6-2 6-2 :worship:

born_on_clay
03-15-2010, 11:47 PM
Stats from today:

MariaV
03-16-2010, 09:21 AM
It was such a lovely match and such a joy to see Mario back on court. :D :D :hearts: :inlove:
I wonder how baby Rafa's gonna do against big John's huge serve though. :scared: :unsure:

star
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM
It was such a lovely match and such a joy to see Mario back on court. :D :D :hearts: :inlove:
I wonder how baby Rafa's gonna do against big John's huge serve though. :scared: :unsure:

I was feeling sorry for Mario. He's soooooo cute. But, he took his beating like a man.

Metis
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Nadal-Isner 7-5 3-6 6-3 :)

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Certinfy, Metis
QF - JolŠnGagů, MariaV
F - born_on_clay

Certinfy, Metis: you knew the risk was high :hug:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/8/129125508233011461.jpg

MariaV
03-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I was feeling sorry for Mario. He's soooooo cute. But, he took his beating like a man.

I always feel sorry for Mario and PHM when they're losing because of their HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE sad brown eyes, I just wanna hug them. :o :lol:

OK the Isner test passed 7-5 3-6 6-3 with a little slip in the 2nd set but now the 'very bad' person Birdman next. :eek: :help: :scared: :unsure: And Birdman seems to be on fire.

born_on_clay
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Stats:

l_mac
03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
R3 presser:

R. NADAL/M. Ancic
6-2, 6-2

Q. I have to ask, do you like those Nike shorts that you've got now? They're certainly different.
RAFAEL NADAL: What do you think? You like it? (laughter)
No, no? Well, it's different. I think -- yeah, I don't know. It's more different than usual. (laughter.) That's the thing, no?
It was a little bit fashion for me, I think. Is too much, a little bit for me, but going to be for this tournament.

Q. Just for this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. I change everything in Miami.

Q. Many people liked the pink shirt at Roland Garros last year. They thought it was very, very nice. But because of the result we won't see that shirt anymore?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no, I'm not superstitious on that. The color of the shirt doesn't affect anything of the game. So no, we will see in the future. I don't know. I don't know.
Similar color will be this year, but not at Roland Garros.

Q. It was a match that you won fairly straightforwardly, but I don't remember seeing you win points so quickly before. I mean, many of the rallies lasted four or five shots or fewer and the point was over, so is that something you've been working hard on for the hardcourt season?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am playing well. That's the thing, no?
I think I am playing at the good level with my forehand when I touch the ball all the time. I try to do something, playing aggressive, playing long, changing the direction, so that's very important on my game, no? No, I am doing well here, that.
Just try to keep working like this, keep playing like this, and try to play a little bit more aggressive with the backhand. That's it. For the rest, I am very happy how I am playing.

Q. How are you feeling with your confidence? It's a tricky thing. How are you feeling?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am very well, yeah.

Q. Do you feel confident?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I am here. I am in third round winning 6-2, 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, so it's very good start of the tournament for me.
I started the year playing really well, very well in Doha, and after in Australia I played very good match against Murray. No, I am feeling good, yeah. I am feeling confident.
I need a bit length for a few months without a stop, that's winning matches, winning important matches, and after that everything is easier. But I am ready to do it, I think.

Q. Do you feel after the month off, like after two matches that you know what to do in the matches? You don't feel rusty or...
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel really well when I arrive here. I was practicing really well in Mallorca, and I am practicing really well here.

Q. But in the matches. It's different to practice than to play.
RAFAEL NADAL: We'll see. I am feeling great.

Q. I think you are very happy with your performance today, especially with your serve. The idea or the goal is just to minimize the rallies in case you just get to the final again?
RAFAEL NADAL: The goal is play well. My game is play with the rallies. I don't want to play serve and volley or serve and one shot or ace. Everybody has to know that. For sure I know very well, no?
My game is play with intensity, play good rhythm all the time, and try to play long times without having mistakes. When I am ready to play long point without having mistakes, I gonna have the chance to play shorter points because I can feel confident with my forehand and play winners before that, no?
But my game is my game, and I am not going to change my game.

Q. You have to be pretty happy with that serve. I think you only lost five points on your serve today. Is that the best you've served in a while?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I started the season serving really well. In Australia I served a little bit worse, but in Doha and Abu Dhabi I was serving really well.
But in my opinion, the serve was important, but was more important was my rhythm from the baseline. I lost only few points because I didn't have mistakes, only seven unforced errors in two sets and 29 winners, that's very good statistics.

Q. Today Andre Agassi apologized for some of the things he said at the match Friday night with Pete, saying, you know, he was sorry that he called Pete cheap and they were joking around a little bit. What was your take on that Friday night?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said what I had to say yesterday or before yesterday after my match. For me, the only way to talk about what happened two nights or three nights ago is in positive. We make a good job for Haiti, for a good thing. The people was happy, the court was full, and the atmosphere was unbelievable.
For me, it was an pleasure to be part of the event and try to help these persons that they need. But I didn't feel any tension on court.

Q. Did you take it that they were just having fun with each other, joking, back and forth?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I repeat: Everybody told me after the match what's happened, but during the match, you know how fast speak Americans, and I am Spanish. (laughter.) I didn't understand nothing.

Q. With your knees and all, are there things you've done differently with your training? With your knees, have you done different things in your practice or training? Have you altered things doing different things more or less?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Well, sure, I didn't practice with the same intensity now that what I did with 14 years old. But that's the life. That's normal, no? You have to improve all the time, and right now they way what I had to practice is different than what I had to practice before.

Q. It is?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, but not only for the knees, because I have to -- I have the intensity, and I have to practice more technique and specific shots than playing and playing, no?
I think playing a little bit I feel the ball. I don't need to practice as long as I did before.

Q. If you play your best, do you actually expect to win the matches? Do you feel like the matches are in your hands if you play your best?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I don't want to be arrogant with this answer, no? Because always you -- you have to look the opponent, and if the opponent -- everybody can feel the same.
But when I played well, I had a good chances to have good results. That's what I can say.

Q. Novak said today he grew up and Pete was kind of his idol. Did you watch Pete and Andre? Did you have one as your favorite more than the other when you were growing up?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. You know, I watch a lot of match on TV between Pete and Andre, but, no, I didn't have any favorite. When I was very young, my favorite was Carlos Moya. Sure, I enjoyed a lot watching them, the matches of a Andre and Pete.
I didn't have any favorite. Both players different styles and very nice.

Q. Seems like it's very important to you now that you can play for six to eight months in a row and show your best tennis. Last year when you were having physical problems, do you just want to put that behind you and say, Look, here I am; my best level is still there; don't worry about me?
RAFAEL NADAL: I say -- I don't want -- I think I don't need to show nobody how I can play or if I can win a tournaments or if I can win a matches, no?
I did a lot of times in my career, so right now the only thing is keep enjoying, keep playing well, and keep improving my tennis. I know if I have eight months without injuries and I can play when I want to play, not when the body give me the opportunity to play.
I think I am playing enough well to be there. That's my feeling.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=62073

l_mac
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Shorts Interview:

TWm9K5G411c

Rafa signing for ballkids:

GMTXRoYFK2A

l_mac
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
Pre tournament presser:

vVdnPZoSDgQ

R3 presser:

4t_N1nxOb6A

Foxy
03-18-2010, 09:15 AM
15th consecutive QF at masters series. Great display by Rafa. He is nearly at his best. Murray is shaking now and I won't be surprised if he loses before the finals.

Metis
03-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Shorts Interview:

TWm9K5G411c

Rafa signing for ballkids:

GMTXRoYFK2A

Rafito :inlove: :lol:

Giving kisses to the ballgirls :devil: then RogiGOAT walks by and looks back with curiosity. ;)

l_mac
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
IW: Rafael Nadal Fourth Round Press Conference
March 17, 2010 ∑

After his three set win over John Isner on Thursday, Rafael Nadal had a chance (albeit two hours after his match) to sit down and chat with the respective media at the BNP Paribas Masters 1000.

Hereís RafaÖ

Q. You said before youíve had trouble feeling calm, and it seems today that you have your calm back. Is that true?

RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. Youíre being calm. Youíve had trouble being calm, you said, in certain situations. It seems that now you are able to be calm when you need to be.

RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.)

Well, when you are playing well, itís easy to be with calm than when you are not playing at your best, no?

But today was really difficult match, no? So I know I have to play my best tennis. I did really well, I think. I only played a really bad game in the third fourth game of the second set.

But the rest of the match Iím very happy how I did, no? I think John is a big player, very difficult to play against him, and he has an unbelievable potential. So for me it is a very important and very good victory.

Q. What did you like about Johnís game? What do you think will make him a dangerous player?

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, that not will make. He is very dangerous player, no? Maybe will make a top player, really top player, no? But dangerous, always with dangerous, no?

You know, when you have one serve like this better donít just talk more, now? Because if he improves just a little bit more, gonna be very difficult to stop him, no?

So, yeah, because he has good movements around the court. He can go to the net. He can improve the volley, but he volley well and he has a very good forehand, so gonna be really difficult to stop him if he keep improving like this.

Q. It looked like you were moving well this afternoon. Did you feel like you were?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didnít move well?

Q. No, I said it looked like you were moving well. Did you feel like you were?

I am playing well. I am doing really well this tournament. I am very happy to be in quarterfinals. Itís very good news for me after the injury come back and playing like this, winning very important match today, very difficult match against one of the best players of the world.

I am feeling okay physically, no? I am feeling really well, and I am feeling good on court.

Q. How does his serve compare to, like, Karlovic?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is different. Both are unbelievable. The second serve of Isner is better than the Karlovic second serve, the second serve of Karlovic.

And, well, against Karlovic probably the first serve is more difficult to return, the Karlovic one, but not much difference.

In the end, itís more difficult to play against John because itís not enough put the ball inside. So against Karlovic for sure the same, not enough to put ball inside, no?

But if you put the ball inside you gonna have more chances to play the point. Against John, if you play the ball inside, he gonna have a winner, forehand winner.

So thatís makes more difficult to return his serve.

Q. Do you think Daniel Nestor should be worried that maybe you are the best left handed doubles player now in the world?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, thatís for sure none. I not gonna have I play here and Miami, but I well, donít worry. They heís doesnít need to be worried about my doubles. (laughter.)

Q. Do you like playing doubles?

RAFAEL NADAL: I like play doubles with friends. Marc is very good friend, and for me is in long tournaments like these ones, you have day off, you can play, no, and I enjoy.

You know, thatís makes me improve a lot the volley, because today my volley improved a lot than the first days, no? Thatís because I played two matches before in doubles, and that can help me for the singles, too.

I can return more aggressive than the singles, and I practice a little bit more the serve, no? I play more relaxed, so thatís important, no? I feel my volley improves in the last three days, so thatís important thing.

Sure, I am very happy to be in semifinals of doubles for me, and especially for my partner. But important thing for me, too, is play doubles to keep improving my game on singles.

Q. Are you surprised youíre in the quarterfinals of doubles?

RAFAEL NADAL: Semifinals. (laughter.)

Q. Iím sorry, semifinals.

RAFAEL NADAL: Specialist. (laughter.)

No, well, you can. You can do it. I donít know. Yeah, in doubles anything can happen.

Q. At this stage of the tournament do you need to take it up a level, or are you playing at a level that can take you all the way to the title at this point?

RAFAEL NADAL: I donít know. I donít know. I happy. I really happy how I am playing.

Q. Youíre happy with your level?

Q. And just your next opponent.

RAFAEL NADAL: Heís playing well.

Q. Another big hitter.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, heís playing well, 6 0, 6 3 against Verdasco; 6 1, 6 3 against Troicki today. I didnít saw him play, but with the results, he must be playing really well.

So gonna be really difficult match, and hard. I prefer to play during the day, because, for me, the topspin is easier during the day than the night. But gonna be a really tough match, and I will be ready. For me itís a very important match.

Q. Do you know when youíre playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, 7:30.

Q. Berdych is a big mystery; Berdych is so talented hits the ball so hard, but heís like this. Does it make it difficult to play him because you never know exactly what the mental side on the other side of the net?

RAFAEL NADAL: I always saw him really good player, no? Sometimes I donít understand why heís not more up in the ranking, yeah. I think he has an unbelievable potential. I donít know.

No, no, I gonna be on court, very focused knowing I gonna play against one of the best players of the world. Gonna be really difficult. I have to play my best.

Q. Youíve been playing a lot of tennis, but have you gotten to play any golf?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, I played. I did. I did some days well, some days worse.

Q. Fred Couples giving you any pointers? Are you playing with him out there? I know he was watching you.

RAFAEL NADAL: We played three times already with him. Just can say thanks very much, because itís amazing play with Fred.

Well, for me, be around one of the best players of the world and Augusta champion is amazing. For me, the most important thing is heís unbelievable person, too, no? All the time he cares about us and if we need something well, everything, no?

So heís very, very nice. Nice person, very happy to meet him.

Q. Did he give you any tips? Did he help your game?

RAFAEL NADAL: It wasnít enough. (laughter.)

Q. How did you and Freddie become friends?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, my team, we met him here last year, yeah. We went to play the most amazing golf course I ever played in the Madison Club. He gave us the chance to go there, and is, well, nicest golf course I ever played. So, yeah, was unbelievable fun.
http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010/03/17/iw-rafael-nadal-fourth-round-press-conference/

born_on_clay
03-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the interviews :)

Metis
03-19-2010, 04:57 AM
Nadal-Berdych 6-4 7-6

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Certinfy, Metis
QF - JolŠnGagů, MariaV
F - born_on_clay

JolŠnGagů, MariaV: not the ones to have the last laugh :awww:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/1/129119577077337875.jpg

MariaV
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Metis! :lol:
But I'm relieved he got through Berdych. :D Ljubicic is going to be another 'bad' opponent. :scared: :unsure:

JolŠnGagů
03-19-2010, 05:09 PM
:bounce:

born_on_clay
03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Legenda is next :)

l_mac
03-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Rafael Nadal Quarterfinal Press Conference

March 19, 2010

Playing some of his best tennis in 2010, Rafael Nadal stormed into the semifinal of the BNP Paribas Open with a straight set win over Tomas Berdych.

Admitting that his serve has not improved in the last year and a half, Nadal sat down in the main interview room to speak with the respective media.

Q. Do you feel like that was some really good quality tennis out there? It looked that way.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, yeah, it was a very good match, I think. I played really well, especially the first set. The first probably eight, nine games of the match was unbelievable level; later the wind came a little bit and was more difficult to play.

But anyway, we still playing, keep playing at high level, and this is very important. Very good news for me be in semifinals.

Q. You played a very clean tiebreaker, not too many errors. You hit some big shots there. You want to talk about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: I played well. I played aggressive when I had the chance. He played really well the three point when he was 3 1 up; the tiebreak he played very good shots, no? Two forehands winner, and nothing to do for me. I was against wind.

You know, put 3 All in the score and go to the other side was very important, no? Because play with the wind in that moments is almost decisive, and I played really well. I have one two forehands winners down the line. Thatís was the key of the match, no?

I played aggressive with decision, and thatís was the match, I think.

Q. Your serve is a lot better in the last year and a half. What have you done?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, my serve is not much better than the last year and a half. I am not agree. I am playing very well from the baseline. That seems like my service is better.

My service, I always trying I am always trying to improve my serve. But, you know, that is a difficult for thing for me. I keep working hard for that. I gonna work a lot every day, every year until when I finish my career, no?

I think the change is not the serve; the change I am playing big forehand from the baseline and having very good movement, going inside the court, and play more aggressive. So thatís, for me, the key.

Q. Are there many players who are as explosive as Berdych who all of a sudden, bam, hit a very hard shot? Is he different from other players in his ability to all of a sudden hit very, very hard?

Q. No. He hits it, and bam, very, very fast, very, very hard. Are there many players like him, or is he different?

Well, every player is different. Tomas is one of these players that is difficult to play against when heís playing well, because heís a very well in general heís very complete player, no? He has all the shots, very good forehand, good backhand, good serve.

So his movements are not bad. Can improve a little bit, but his movements is not bad. So itís not easy, because he play he touch the ball hard and long and this almost always is a flat ball. So itís difficult to have the control of the point.

But I did very well today. When I touched my forehand, when I had the chance to play my forehand, I think I had the control of the point almost every time.

Q. You lost three times in a row to him, and then five or six matches since you didnít even lose one set to him. What changed?

RAFAEL NADAL: I donít know. I think, you know, anyway if I didnít win a lot for the last few months, I think I am better player than before.

I have yeah, I have more things to do during the match, no? I improved a lot my slice backhand. I improved my volley. I am playing probably more times inside the court when Iím feeling good.

To play against these players and they are very aggressive like him, like Blake, is important donít lose court, no? Donít go behind the court. Because if you are going behind, they have almost all the time they have more time and they are going inside, and itís almost impossible to beat him, no?

So itís important when you are playing against these players, play, yeah, closer to the baseline, if possible, no?

Q. Do you like playing against Ljubicic and his big serve?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I like being in semifinals. Thatís the thing, no?

I like be here and I like to have a match to fight to try to be in this final. Any opponent going to be really difficult, even is one of these big opponents with big serve. Heís playing well with from the baseline. Gonna be difficult match.

I think I am playing well too, no? I gonna try my best to try to be in this final.

Q. His birthday is tomorrow. Do you have a present? He turns 31 tomorrow.

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, yeah? I gonna congratulate him tomorrow, yeah.

Q. You only had five matches in Australia, or four and a half, and then you come here and it seems like youíre playing at a pretty high level. Is there anything you feel like youíre not doing well right now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am happy. I am really happy how I am playing. I said every day, you know, after coming back from an injury is never easy the first tournament.

Anyway, I love playing this tournament; I love this court. Probably this court help me a little bit to my game because the ball is getting a lot of topspin, and thatís important in my game.

But, you know, I started the season playing really well in Abu Dhabi. It was an exhibition; everybody wants to win. And in Doha, too. I didnít win the tournament in Doha for one point. So playing high level, too.

In Australia I probably didnít play my best the first three matches, but against Murray I did well. I was playing at high level, too. I had the chance to win the first or the second set, but I lost, and finally I had to retire.

My feeling is this year in every tournament that I played, I played at very good level.

Q. Whatís the key to playing in the wind when it gets like it was tonight? And last year it was like that here, too, when you won, right?

RAFAEL NADAL: Move. Move a lot. Donít stop the legs, yeah.

Q. Berdych was having some problem with your slice and change of speed.

Q. Berdych was having some trouble with the slice and change of speed when you did change speeds, yet you chose to keep hitting hard. Was that because of the wind, too?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. When you are playing at the place with the wind, it wasnít easy for me to play the backhand with topspin. My feeling was the ball is going out too from my racquet.

The slice is a good change, no? Probably if you play good slice, the next shot you gonna have the chance to play with your forehand, soÖ

Q. But you didnít use the slice a lot tonight. You didnít use the slice a lot.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I use it. I use it not against the wind, because against the wind is not easy. The ball is coming too fast.

But in other place, I use it a few times and works well.

http://tennisconnected.com/home/category/news/

Video of presser:

3Cw6Ib5riCE

03-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Congrats to Rafa :D I forgot when his Match was being played :o I can't believe I did that :banghead: Thanks for posting the interview :)

VS Angel
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh my God that game

born_on_clay
03-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Stats from Rafa- Ljubo:

Metis
03-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Nadal-Ljubicic 6-3 4-6 6-7 :help:

1st - Bye
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Certinfy, Metis
QF - JolŠnGagů, MariaV
F - born_on_clay

born_on_clay, Foxy, Getta, Kamil92, Luinir, tennizen, Snoo Foo, star: your FAIL (and Rafito's) is very embarrassing :help:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/2/18/129109965529739512.jpg

Betty, greenhotchilipep, Minn, nashty: how cool are they? :cool:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/2/24/129115255402094289.jpg

l_mac
03-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Rafa, that was utterly pathetic.

Hope you cry yourself to sleep. :D

Minn
03-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Nadal-Ljubicic 6-3 4-6 6-7 :help:

Betty, greenhotchilipep, Minn, nashty: how cool are they? :cool:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/2/24/129115255402094289.jpg I'm so disappointed I won MIT. :bigcry:

Metis, thanks for your MIT work.

l_mac
03-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Indain Wells Title in the bag :woohoo:

Metis
03-21-2010, 03:58 AM
:bounce:

It's been so many months :awww:

ds_hockeygrl1536
03-21-2010, 04:04 AM
OMG OMG OMG Rafa and Marc are so freaking cute together. That was so much fun!

Foxy
03-21-2010, 09:03 AM
The most shameful singles loss since Seppi in Rotterdam. In fact it is more shameful in a way because this is actually a masters series tournament.
Congrats. Rafa has virtually 17 masters series titles (2 doubles MS Monte Carlo and IW now). :)

l_mac
03-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Last two games of the doubles (for those who missed it :hug:)

9PtRfd5xalI

Trophy Ceremony - Zimonjic :haha:

093LqvksaE0

credit to meriko at vb :hug:

l_mac
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Pressers:

6Ub1JsqZF3U

wzigwt88j8U

l_mac
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Presser Transcripts:

IW: Rafael Nadal Semifinal Press Conference
March 21, 2010

Q. Rafa, can we talk about the singles match first?

Q. What happened in the tiebreak? It seemed like you were a little passive almost in the tiebreak.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I wasn’t passive. That’s for sure, no? I was more nervous than passive, no? Because I never had to arrive to this tiebreak. That’s my feeling, no? :spit: :tape:

You know, when you arrive at that tiebreak of the first set with a serve like Ivan, he was serving really well, no? I know that it’s gonna be very dangerous. The second point of the tiebreak was very important.

You know, it was tough for me be in that situation, because I was playing amazing all the week, playing really, really good, and an important match for me, semifinals.

Anyway, the result is good. But after coming an injury and, well, everything, everything is positive, because I probably played at my best level another the time, but today I played bad. I played bad match.

Anyway, I had lot of chances, break points in the second with one passing shot with backhand on one of the breakpoints with Love 40. But he serve well, and he played good forehands. First shot winner, so difficult to do something there.

I played unbelievable terrible game the first of the third set with my serve. I had more mistakes with my forehand in that game than all the week.

Yeah, after that, you know, in the third, I fighted it all the time, but I only had the breakpoint in the third. He had amazing serve, so nothing to do there.

Yeah. That’s tennis. I played bad. I gonna try to win in Miami.

Q. As you said, you played very good tennis this week, the first tournament back since the Australian Open.

Q. How do you assess your game now? And can we assess it before you return to clay, or no?

RAFAEL NADAL: Can we?

Q. How good is your level now? Can we say you are back to your best, or do we need to wait until you are back on clay before we can say that?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I never went, but since I start 2010 I was playing at my best. I was playing at my best all the time.

You know, in hardcourts I won when I came with big confidence, when I play when I was playing unbelievable. But in this year, during this year, I play at all the tournaments really well.

Just in Australia the first two matches I didn’t play like my best, but against Murray I was playing fine. This tournament I was playing very good, having very good victories, beating against very difficult opponent like Isner, later like Berdych and with against a very good Berdych.

So I happy about how I did. I am playing at my best level. I know that. But not today.

Q. Don’t you think that the last thing there is still missing in your game is the ability to kill a match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Probably, probably. You know, that’s yeah. Probably that’s happening a little bit more than before, but probably because I have a hard time, no? That’s because probably eight months difficult, eight months in my life. This is a process, and I have to keep going slowly better and better. :awww:

I am ready, because I did well. I win against Berdych by playing a good tiebreak, so that’s always important. Against Isner, I save important moments too, so I did well.

And today not, but I had a lot of chances too, no? The normal thing is win this match.

Q. In the meantime, you are thinking too much at what is happening? You think too much than before?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. You know, is not the moment to speak about that, because, you know, I have another tournament in Miami in a week. I am feeling playing enough well to do something important there, no?

The mental thing, I gonna do it well. I always was a winner. I was a very good competitor, and I gonna I gonna be very good competitor and winner another time, no? :yeah: (keep believing :scared:)

That’s was an accident today. :spit: That’s my feeling, because I was playing enough well to win the tournament. It was important accident, and I have to learn to try to play more aggressive next time and try to, yeah, to convert the opportunities.

But for the rest, nothing to say, no? I am happy how I did, you know, after the stop being at home a few weeks and not easy come back and play with this level, no? Because I was feeling I was playing better than probably closer to than ever on this court.

Q. So after you missed the forehand volley, second point of the tiebreaker…

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I didn’t miss the the mistake was the forehand and the volley backhand.

Q. But then after that you lose five points. Was it all nerves there, or…

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, he played a good backhand winner. He started to play the plays with the wind. You know, and with the 6 1, I was destroyed mentally at that moment, no? Because I lost an opportunity, no? :awww:

Before that, he did well in the tiebreak. And when you arrive at tiebreak, I said before again, one server, big server like Ljubicic, is difficult to predict what’s gonna happen. The second point was very important.

Q. This week you played very well with your forehand, very aggressive.

Q. Maybe the last year you try to improve a lot your backhand, your volley. Maybe you want to use mainly your forehand, your biggest weapon now.

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, when I am playing well is because I am playing well with the forehand and I have the control of the point with the forehand. That’s what I’m doing now, and I’m doing really well.

So I have to keep working on this. Sure, probably the worst thing of this week was the backhand. I can improve for the next week, but I have few days to practice the backhand to win, to go to Miami with playing better with the backhand. And that’s it.

If I improve a little bit the level of the backhand, I am very ready for everything, I think.

Q. He did say, Ljubicic, that he thought the important thing, other than serving, was that he stayed with you in the rallies. Did you feel like he was staying with you?

RAFAEL NADAL: The day was very difficult, you know, and probably that’s help him from the baseline, no? Because the wind, the ball was moving a lot. I was playing really well, and, you know, when you have—when there is a big wind like today, important wind, is easier for the player that plays a little bit worse from the baseline, because it’s a different situations. :speakles: :haha:

With the slice, with normal shots, with not very good shots, the ball is there and for the player who is playing aggressive. Is more difficult to put the balls closer to the lines. Probably that was important part of the game today, no, what makes him easier to play with me from the baseline.

Because if not, I think will be more difficult for him to play with me. I gonna have more chances to have the control of the point with the forehand and move him.

But, you know, no, the wind is the wind. I play well with the wind too, no? So that’s not an excuse, no? That’s common. The wind always is in favor of the player the strange situations is favoring the player who play worse from the baseline, I think. :rolls:

Q. Do you remember last time you lost seven points in a row in a tiebreaker?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I lost against Blake in Shanghai 2000 :lol:

Q. Masters Cup?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. I don’t know, 2006 maybe.

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010/03/21/iw-rafael-nadal-semifinal-press-conference/

Doubles:

IW: Nadal/Lopez Final Press Conference
March 21, 2010

After defeating the No. 1 doubles team of Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic, Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez sat down the respective media to discuss their victory.

THE MODERATOR: Questions on the doubles final?

Q. You two ready to win the Grand Slam in doubles now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I always ready. I always was ready to win a Grand Slam. The thing is if we play. (laughter.)

No, I am not ready to with Grand Slam doubles because I don’t play.

Q. Ljubicic said you’d be the best person to have as a partner in doubles.

RAFAEL NADAL: Me?

Q. Yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: I don’t know why. (laughter.)

Q. Who’s gonna keep your trophy, Marc or…

RAFAEL NADAL: We have both. We have two trophies.

Q. It was a little bit like the Olympic Games in the way of playing.

Q. It was a little bit like the Olympic Games, because you play for another one, for friend and…

RAFAEL NADAL: You want to answer?

MARC LOPEZ: No, thank you.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, for me it is a pleasure to play with Marc. He’s very close friend of mine, and we do really well, no? After losing important singles, the victory in doubles makes me happy. Always is nice to win the tournament winning, no?

So it’s important title for me, and for sure for Marc, a little bit more, I think.

So for us is yeah, you know, we never thought about winning the tournament here. So we are very happy for that. We enjoying a lot playing together. It’s our second title. Probably this one gonna be difficult to repeat, because it’s very important one, no?

Q. What’s the difference for you between a good venue and a great venue? A good tournament and a great tournament, besides your playing?

Q. Besides the playing, the feeling.

RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.) Well, I think the first thing, important thing is the history of the tournament. Second thing, the atmosphere of the tournament. That’s if we are talking in general.

If the court, always a lot of crowd on court, that’s makes the tournament more special. And for us, for the player, the facilities, no? You know, here is perfect for us. We have a car, we have the hotel close, we have relax.

You can do it everything, and that’s personal, no? For every player is different, no? You know, probably for another player prefers to be in a big city.

So for me this tournament is I love this tournament, no? I can play golf. I love play golf. I can go for dinner every day in a different place. You know, you feel like you are a little bit out of the world, no? You feel like you are in holidays. That’s why I love that.

http://tennisconnected.com/home/2010/03/21/iw-nadallopez-final-press-conference/

star
03-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Q. It was a little bit like the Olympic Games, because you play for another one, for friend and…

RAFAEL NADAL: You want to answer?

MARC LOPEZ: No, thank you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mimi
03-22-2010, 07:20 AM
was 1 set up and has 2 break points to go up to 3:1 at 2:1when Ljubo was serving, poor breakpoints conversion, how could he lose antoehr match when he was leading (i.e. against Davy in Jan this year), seems both his stamina and winning magic have gone :banghead::banghead::banghead::explode::shout:

Castafiore
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Rafa sounded as pissed off with himself as I was (about the match result) after watching that SF. :(

Pfffft....Ljubicic had a plan B in the match, Rafa didn't. Ljubi deserved it although I hate to admit it.

MariaV
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
was 1 set up and has 2 break points to go up to 3:1 at 2:1when Ljubo was serving, poor breakpoints conversion, how could he lose antoehr match when he was leading (i.e. against Davy in Jan this year), seems both his stamina and winning magic have gone :banghead::banghead::banghead::explode::shout:

We have to keep believing, like Rafa. :angel:
Simply on the day Ljubicic was better (wind or not wind :spit: :tape:), Ljubicic seems to be in his 2nd or dunno which spring.

greenhotchilipep
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
thanks for sharing the news, i want to download full double final very much.

and i dont want to win the MIT hic hic :((

next tournament i hope i guess right once again and i will have a diff poit to this time

Foxy
03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Rafa sounded as pissed off with himself as I was (about the match result) after watching that SF. :(

Pfffft....Ljubicic had a plan B in the match, Rafa didn't. Ljubi deserved it although I hate to admit it.

No, Ljubo didn't deserve it by any means.

1. He had won 6 less points than Rafa overall.
2. Had many more BP against
3. Rafa broke him 3 times, Ljubo just twice.
4. Rafa W/UE ratio was positive and Ljubo W/UE was negative (the fact that aces count as winners make it even stranger).

I was pissed at Rafa but he has a point this has been an accident and he will never lose to this mug again.

Castafiore
03-22-2010, 03:29 PM
No, Ljubo didn't deserve it by any means.
I disagree. :shrug:

I think that when things were looking bad for Ljubi some time in set 2, my take on it is that he had a "nothing to lose" reaction and he just went for it, swinging freely from the hip, as they say.

Rafa didn't react very well to this.

The player who reacts the best under pressure wins. Fair enough, I say.

Foxy
03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I disagree. :shrug:

I think that when things were looking bad for Ljubi some time in set 2, my take on it is that he had a "nothing to lose" reaction and he just went for it, swinging freely from the hip, as they say.

Rafa didn't react very well to this.

The player who reacts the best under pressure wins. Fair enough, I say.

Agree to some extent. But the stats don't lie. It was an abnormal result. Ljubo reacted well because his serve was clicking big time. He hardly won any points on second serves and in baseline rallies. Rafa won more points on his serve than Ljubo on his own. Just the tiebreak and one messy game completely turned the match around. Rafa never should have gone to a third set, let alone 3 set tiebreaker. Best of luck next time, Rafa.