Who's Going? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's Going?

vavavoom
02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm going to Canada for the first time this year and will be heading to the Rogers Centre for the tournament.

I've been looking up public transport in Toronto and it's all a little confusing to me. I'm staying within walking distance of Union Station, so what's the best way to get to the Rogers Centre from there? Also, are there special transport services being put on for the tournament?

cath777
05-26-2010, 01:54 AM
Your best bet is probably the subway from Union to Downsview (if you look at a subway map, it is the left side of the yellow line), then the 106 bus from Downsview up to York Uni. It will probably take 45 mins to an hour.

I don't think the tournament will put on transport.

n3gative
07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
^probably the best way

tournament does transport from some parking lots near the facilities.

mayagaller
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
There is going to be a tournament shuttle operating from the Downsview Station, courtesy of LCBO. :)

AdeyC
07-11-2010, 08:28 PM
There is going to be a tournament shuttle operating from the Downsview Station, courtesy of LCBO. :)

I went there two years ago, great venue.

vavavoom
08-02-2010, 12:14 AM

The letter that came with my tickets confirmed this, thanks :) Can't wait

mackaveli
08-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Hi guys,

I am going to be going to Toronto for the first time to watch tennis.

I will be staying with my brother close to the Soho Hotel @ 318 Wellington Street.

He is new to Toronto though and doesn't know his way around that well.

Can anyone help me in explaining my best to get there.

I believe the best/easiest way is to take the subway to downsview and then take a shuttle that a couple of members have posted about LCBO.
I have no idea what LCBO is. Is this transport free or will it cost some money? Will it be easy to identify the shuttles that will go to the tennis venue?

cath777
08-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Hi guys,

I am going to be going to Toronto for the first time to watch tennis.

I will be staying with my brother close to the Soho Hotel @ 318 Wellington Street.

He is new to Toronto though and doesn't know his way around that well.

Can anyone help me in explaining my best to get there.

I believe the best/easiest way is to take the subway to downsview and then take a shuttle that a couple of members have posted about LCBO.
I have no idea what LCBO is. Is this transport free or will it cost some money? Will it be easy to identify the shuttles that will go to the tennis venue?

The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. My guess is they are providing transport for free advertising. These shuttles are free but are only scheduled to run for the evening session, and start from 5pm. It's the first year they have been provided, but I'm suspect they will be easy to identify.

If you are going during the day, take the subway to Downsview, then any of the following buses:

* 196 York University Rocket - Express from Downsview Station;
* 106 York University - from Downsview at non-peak times
* 107 B&C Keele North - Downsview Station to Rutherford GO Stn (107 B) or Teston Rd (107 C) via York U (one-fare service between York Region and York University)

When you get off the subway, follow signs for the buses, and then signs for the bus number you need.

Enjoy!

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/PDF/2010_FanGuide_en.pdf

mackaveli
08-05-2010, 04:00 AM
The LCBO is the Liquor Control Board of Ontario. My guess is they are providing transport for free advertising. These shuttles are free but are only scheduled to run for the evening session, and start from 5pm. It's the first year they have been provided, but I'm suspect they will be easy to identify.

If you are going during the day, take the subway to Downsview, then any of the following buses:

* 196 York University Rocket - Express from Downsview Station;
* 106 York University - from Downsview at non-peak times
* 107 B&C Keele North - Downsview Station to Rutherford GO Stn (107 B) or Teston Rd (107 C) via York U (one-fare service between York Region and York University)

When you get off the subway, follow signs for the buses, and then signs for the bus number you need.

Enjoy!

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/PDF/2010_FanGuide_en.pdf

Thank you very much!. I am going by myself for a couple of sessions and hope I don't get lost!.

Any recommendations on what to do during the time there are no matches? I plan on going to the Day/Night session on Friday/Saturday and I am not sure what to do during my down time.

Suggestions?

cath777
08-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Thank you very much!. I am going by myself for a couple of sessions and hope I don't get lost!.

Any recommendations on what to do during the time there are no matches? I plan on going to the Day/Night session on Friday/Saturday and I am not sure what to do during my down time.

Suggestions?

Just ask someone if you're not sure where to go. You might want to ask the bus driver the right direction when you get off the bus, as it might not be obvious.

Friday there is usually doubles on, so you probably will always have something to watch. Saturday there will likely be a break in between the sessions. How long depends on how long the matches are! The last few years there has been some university championships on, so there was something to watch. Other than that, browse the shops and pick up all the free things you can! There isn't much close by, so there's not a lot of point in going offsite, unless you are really interested in Black Creek Pioneer Village http://www.blackcreek.ca/

mackaveli
08-10-2010, 04:46 AM
Hi guys,

I am leaving to Toronto tomorrow and just have a couple of quick questions. I have never been to a tennis event before and I am excited to go.

1.) How do the outer courts work? I only have fan zone tickets for the 3rd/qf/sf/f. There are matches on the outer courts. Are these free to attend as long as you buy tickets to centre court?

2.) This is a weird question but I just want to know. Bringing backpacks. Is there room where you sit to put your backpack down? Should i bring one? I looked up the weather and it seems like it may rain a couple days. Case in point it rained today. I want to bring an umbrella just in case. I was going to put it in my backpack but I have no idea the size of the venue if i have room to put it anywhere? I will be sitting in the fan zone section. Should I get poncho's instead? If so are they purchased at the stadium?

3.) I want to buy some nice Roger Federer gear. Where should I go to find this?

Thank you.

buddyholly
08-10-2010, 01:04 PM
1) You have admission to Stadium Court at any time and to any other court as long as there is room to sit. Grandstand court always has seats, but even yesterday Andy Murray's doubles match on court 1 had a long line waiting to get a seat even before the match started.
2) Bring a backback for sure, with food and water, but no glass containers. You can buy plastic ponchos inside, but why bother? If it rains there will be no play. You can shelter under the stands if it is only going to be a short break. Actually although yesterday had a lot of rain, the rest of the week looks good. And if you are using public transport, the bus to the subway arrives and leaves right from the front gate. I left yesterday in heavy rain, but it was no problem I just ran from the entrance tent to the bus when I saw it coming. I think using the subway to Downsville and then the 106 bus to the gate is great. Saves parking fees and waiting for a shuttle bus to your parking lot.
3) The venue is pretty compact. All the shops are in a line called the retail village. Usually prices are marked up at these events, but yesterday I noted that tennis balls were cheaper than downtown stores and T-shirts were reasonable.

buddyholly
08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
PS. If there are matches on an outside court that you would like to see, be sure and do it. You can usually get to sit right at the front and see the match up close. Something you do not experience up in the fanzone. You get a much better appreciation of the speed of the ball and how close they skim the top of the net by sitting at court level.
But after the third round, all the singles matches will probably be on Stadium.

buddyholly
08-11-2010, 12:12 PM
For anyone still looking for info. The LCBO shuttle to and from Downsview is only from 5pm-midnight. During the day it is the 106 bus from Downsview, which drops you at the front gate. I don't take the rocket because it does not drop you at the gate and thus is no faster, after you walk from campus to the gate.

By the way: LCBO means Licquor Control Board of Ontario and the shuttle is to encourage people who drink (and heckle Federer) to use public transport. It is free and if you take it back to Downsview you can then use the subway free as well.

mackaveli
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
For anyone still looking for info. The LCBO shuttle to and from Downsview is only from 5pm-midnight. During the day it is the 106 bus from Downsview, which drops you at the front gate. I don't take the rocket because it does not drop you at the gate and thus is no faster, after you walk from campus to the gate.

By the way: LCBO means Licquor Control Board of Ontario and the shuttle is to encourage people who drink (and heckle Federer) to use public transport. It is free and if you take it back to Downsview you can then use the subway free as well.

Hey there, thanks for the information.

I am going tomorrow for the midnight session. I will be taking the subway to Downsview. Therefore there should be LCBO buses taking me from Downsview to the event for free?

Also Bus 106 - How often does it come to pick up people from downsview to go to the tennis event? I will be going to the morning sessions on Fri/Sat. Also is it pretty obvious when I am at the front gate of York University from the bus? lol

thanks again. You have been very helpful!

vavavoom
08-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Hey there, thanks for the information.

I am going tomorrow for the midnight session. I will be taking the subway to Downsview. Therefore there should be LCBO buses taking me from Downsview to the event for free?

Also Bus 106 - How often does it come to pick up people from downsview to go to the tennis event? I will be going to the morning sessions on Fri/Sat. Also is it pretty obvious when I am at the front gate of York University from the bus? lol

thanks again. You have been very helpful!

Pretty sure Bus 106 runs from Downsview every 15 minutes (at least it did in the week, not 100% sure if it will change on Saturday/Sunday though. You'll definitely know when to get off - you'll see signs for pedestrians to the tennis but if you stay on the bus until the next stop, you can literally get off the bus right across the road from the gates.

I do have another question for the locals though - on Sunday when the LCBO shuttle isn't running, where abouts should you catch the bus that will take you straight back to Downsview?

cath777
08-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Pretty sure Bus 106 runs from Downsview every 15 minutes (at least it did in the week, not 100% sure if it will change on Saturday/Sunday though. You'll definitely know when to get off - you'll see signs for pedestrians to the tennis but if you stay on the bus until the next stop, you can literally get off the bus right across the road from the gates.

I do have another question for the locals though - on Sunday when the LCBO shuttle isn't running, where abouts should you catch the bus that will take you straight back to Downsview?

Your best bet is to turn right as you exit the stadium and follow The Pond Road to Sentinel Road and catch the bus there.

http://www3.ttc.ca/Routes/106/Map.jsp

mackaveli
08-13-2010, 03:21 AM

Thanks for information.

Quick question. I sit in the fan zone and I noticed that on the 3rd level that there is sort of a standing area. I noticed a lot of people stand there. Is this open to anyone to stand? Can I stand there in the finals?

Also, i noticed in level 100 that a lot of people stand at the very last row throughout the stadium. Can anyone again stand there?

thanks

vavavoom
08-13-2010, 04:47 AM
Your best bet is to turn right as you exit the stadium and follow The Pond Road to Sentinel Road and catch the bus there.

Thanks for information.

Quick question. I sit in the fan zone and I noticed that on the 3rd level that there is sort of a standing area. I noticed a lot of people stand there. Is this open to anyone to stand? Can I stand there in the finals?

Also, i noticed in level 100 that a lot of people stand at the very last row throughout the stadium. Can anyone again stand there?

thanks

I think those standing are just waiting at the top until a change of ends so they can take their seats - they let you into the stands at any time but obviously you can't take your seat in the middle of a game. They check your tickets twice though so you won't be able to stand anywhere, just nearest to where you're sat.

buddyholly
08-15-2010, 03:04 PM

A bit late, but the 106 back to Downsview can be caught across the road from the front gate. But if there are mobs waiting (no LCBO shuttle on Sunday) it could be a good bet to walk back a stop and get on there, as you say.