Massvie 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Chile [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Massvie 8.8 magnitude quake strikes Chile

02-27-2010, 08:30 AM
CNN is already reporting at least six dead..buildings have collapsed, phone lines are down and a Tsunami has been triggered..

One can only hope for the best.

Betty
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
7 dead..i m watching it on tv:sad:

orangehat
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
This is bad :o

Hopefully not too many dead.

Nikki♥
02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Unbelievable. :sad:
Just a few months ago I was there.

According to the news 17 people have been reported dead so far.

My heart goes out to the Chileans. :hug:

alter ego
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Hope all the guys that are posting on MTf are all right. But 8.8 is just unbelieveble if you add the Tsunami and the aftershocks... this isnt't looking good.

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 10:06 AM
6th strongest earthquake ever recorded.

i was checking the geographical coordinates with the 9.5 earthquake of 1960 and it's not far away from where it happened.

it's not a surprise. we were expecting an almost 9.0 or higher earthquake in this area. 50 years is enough to accumulate enough stress in the upper crust especially with the fast eastward moving nazca plate.

scoobs
02-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Yikes, let's hope that the damage and loss of life and suffering is minimal.

Best wishes to our Chilean MTF friends, I hope you and yours are all okay at this scary time.

kai.
02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
They had an after shock of 6.2 :unsure: (according to Univision)

Bolar Bolabi
02-27-2010, 10:28 AM
It's not good. Tsunami could even reach Australia. People on Lord Howe Island and all the other small Islands in the pacific better get out of there or go to high ground somewhere.

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-63766-galleryV9-fkni.jpg

Andre♥
02-27-2010, 10:31 AM
A 8.8 earthquake is not something to cause 17 deaths. It's something to cause 17 thousand deaths. :sad:

My heart goes to Chile for this disaster.

scoobs
02-27-2010, 10:37 AM
A 8.8 earthquake is not something to cause 17 deaths. It's something to cause 17 thousand deaths. :sad:

A lot depends on where the epicenter was in relation to heavily populated areas, past massive earthquakes have sometimes caused relatively low loss of life, we can only hope that that's the case this time, but it doesn't look good.

Andre♥
02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
A lot depends on where the epicenter was in relation to heavily populated areas, past massive earthquakes have sometimes caused relatively low loss of life, we can only hope that that's the case this time, but it doesn't look good.

Reports say that the epicenter was in Concepcion, which happens to be the 2nd biggest city of Chile.

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
A lot depends on where the epicenter was in relation to heavily populated areas

how about the depth of the earthquake?

scoobs
02-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes that too - one contributing factor to the massive loss of life in Haiti that it was a relatively shallow level earthquake.

Andre♥
02-27-2010, 10:45 AM
670,000 people live in Concepcion. This will be a disaster. :sad:

Andre♥
02-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Massu is from Vina del Mar. Did he stay in Acapulco or he went back to Chile? Anybody knows?

JolánGagó
02-27-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope all the Chileans MTFtards and their dear ones are fine.

alboX
02-27-2010, 12:02 PM
this earthquake was very strong... it seemed would never end (in the moment)
fortunately nothing serious happened in my house, I live in santiago
but in areas closest to the epicenter is all very bad, a totally unexpected tragedy,
are officially 78 deaths, surely this should increase dramatically, I hope not :(

*Ljubica*
02-27-2010, 12:45 PM
So sad :sad: And sending my best wishes to all Chilean posters here, their families and friends :hug: Hope you and all your loved ones are OK.

Har-Tru
02-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I expect and hope this isn't as tragic as many people think.

All my best to all Chileans.

Jelena
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Hope all the guys that are posting on MTf are all right. But 8.8 is just unbelieveble if you add the Tsunami and the aftershocks... this isnt't looking good.
Fergie wrote on fb she and her family is ok, *VivaChile* is waiting for news of his relatives who live in Concepcion.

juakos17
02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I`m living in Curico (aprox. 180 KM from epicentre), is a total chaos here, many people that were on the beach, have to run to the hills.

http://www.latercera.com/contenido/683_20701_7.shtml

Some pictures are from the earthquake

shotgun
02-27-2010, 02:05 PM
it's not a surprise. we were expecting an almost 9.0 or higher earthquake in this area. 50 years is enough to accumulate enough stress in the upper crust especially with the fast eastward moving nazca plate.

Yes, I recall you posting a couple of months ago that a strong earthquake in Chile was bound to happen soon.

zicofirol
02-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Not always... Chile has good infrastructure so I dont expect deaths to go that high. Hopefully they wont.
Really sucks, and there was a Earthquake in Korea/CHina as well yesterday, guess the plates are moving alot...

Denaon
02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
:hug: to all chileans
Que terrible noticia!!! Dios los ampare en estos malos momentos. :sad:

Jelena
02-27-2010, 03:17 PM
BBC says it's at about 35 km depth, but you might know that in the meanwhile.

*VivaChile* got news of some of his relatives in Concepcion, but is still missing news of some of them.

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
I expect and hope this isn't as tragic as many people think.

I don't expect too many casualties

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 03:25 PM
BBC says it's at about 35 km depth, but you might know that in the meanwhile.

of course, earthquakes was part of my studies.

i meant to say that not only the location of the epicenter is important but also the depth or let's say the hypocenter. media always talks about epicenter.

Jelena
02-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I know that the depth is important, the 8km depth in Haiti was the reason for this massive destruction there. ;)

Action Jackson
02-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Horrible news and hope the loss of life isn't too drastic relatively speaking.

Arkulari
02-27-2010, 03:35 PM
All the best for our Chilean friends, if they are reading this please say something, we want to know all of you are fine :hug:

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 03:40 PM
I know that the depth is important, the 8km depth in Haiti was the reason for this massive destruction there. ;)

yes and no. depends also on the type of fault and type of rocks where the houses are build on. it was also close to a very highly populated area.

JolánGagó
02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Giant tsunami roaming the Pacific, expected to hit Pascua in a few hours, then Hawai and perhaps even Australia...

JolánGagó
02-27-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/27/chile-earthquake-tsunamis_n_479364.html

things aren't looking good, my heart with the Chileans.

*Viva Chile*
02-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Like Jelena said I'm fine, I actually live about 600 kilometers south from Concepcion and here was only a shake... I lived in Concepcion for 6 years when I studied there. Part of my family was there this weekend, I have a cousin that still study there and my uncles went to visit him.... affortunately thanks to friends and other people who know my family I just entered that they are OK... but the situation is critic. I have many friends and colleagues that live there and have no news about many of them.

For other part, Talca was another major damaged city, Alonso is from there and there's no news about him yet :sad:

Lee
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
My condolences and prayer to all the Chilean MTFers and their families and friends.

Carlita
02-27-2010, 04:58 PM
this is so sad :sad:

my heart goes out to the Chilean people :hug: and I hope our MTF posters & family & friends are fine :hug:

Jelena
02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Like Jelena said I'm fine, I actually live about 600 kilometers south from Concepcion and here was only a shake... I lived in Concepcion for 6 years when I studied there. Part of my family was there this weekend, I have a cousin that still study there and my uncles went to visit him.... affortunately thanks to friends and other people who know my family I just entered that they are OK... but the situation is critic. I have many friends and colleagues that live there and have no news about many of them.

For other part, Talca was another major damaged city, Alonso is from there and there's no news about him yet :sad:
Which Alonso? Alonsofz is fine, he's active on fb. :) I miss news of Claudio.

Sparko1030
02-27-2010, 05:21 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to all the Chilean friends I have made here over the years and all of Chile.

Carlita
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Which Alonso? Alonsofz is fine, he's active on fb. :) I miss news of Claudio.his username is +alonso

I saw he was online here about 12 hours ago....

:sad: let's hope he's okay :hug:

«Ivan»
02-27-2010, 06:01 PM
terrible.
but all of you only chile,chile,chile.
tahiti,hawai(at 23 cet),etc should be very scared of tcunami
could be 10 times worse than in chile.

JolánGagó
02-27-2010, 06:42 PM
choopie como siempre meando fuera del tiesto :rolleyes:

JolánGagó
02-27-2010, 07:13 PM
5th strongest quake since instrumental records exist. Strongest ever was also in Chile.

buddyholly
02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
I am a bit confused. At a depth of 35k, there was almost certainly no rupture of the seafloor, just a shaking. So there should not be a tsunami of any significance according to what I know about them.

Are all the precautions being taken just in case? Is the media overstating the case? And what happened in the Galapagos and Easter Island? It should have passed there by now.

Rick Sanchez on CNN will be so put out if there is no disaster in Hawaii.

Ha ha, he just put his finger on the Galapagos on a map and thought they were Hawaii. What an idiot.

Bilbo
02-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I am a bit confused. At a depth of 35k, there was almost certainly no rupture of the seafloor, just a shaking. So there should not be a tsunami of any significance according to what I know about them.

Are all the precautions being taken just in case? Is the media overstating the case? And what happened in the Galapagos and Easter Island? It should have passed there by now.

Rick Sanchez on CNN will be so put out if there is no disaster in Hawaii.

Ha ha, he just put his finger on the Galapagos on a map and thought they were Hawaii. What an idiot.

there are reported waves of up to 2 meters.

is Rick Sanchez the same who was drawing the subduction zone in the wrong direction?

buddyholly
02-27-2010, 08:52 PM
there are reported waves of up to 2 meters.

is Rick Sanchez the same who was drawing the subduction zone in the wrong direction?

No doubt. He is a self-proclaimed expert on everything. He is a Miami Cuban, responsible for whipping the Miami community into a frenzy when Elian Gonzalez was returned to his father in Havana.

His biggest claim to fame though is that he drove away from the Miami Orange Bowl drunk one night, hit a guy, killed him and kept driving. But because the guy stepped into the road there were no serious charges.

NicoFan
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM
his username is +alonso

I'm concerned about Alonso too - he's still not on facebook. Hopefully it's just because his power or internet is out. Same with MJ.

Fergie and Zine have been online so they are okay. Edit: And now ChinoRios!

ChinoRios4Ever
02-27-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm fine guys, thank you for all your wishes and words :hug:

knight_ley
02-27-2010, 10:00 PM

his username is +alonso

I'm so worried about him as well. Hopefully we will hear from him soon. :hug:

My thoughts are with everyone affected by this horrible event... :sad:

but-it's-ok
02-27-2010, 10:09 PM
My heart goes out to all the Chilean people affected by the unimaginable devastation caused by the earthquake:sad::sad::sad:,and its aftermath. My thoughts and prayers are with you:hug::hug:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Thank you so much brothers, love ya all :hug:

LOVELY
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Massu is from Vina del Mar. Did he stay in Acapulco or he went back to Chile? Anybody knows?

Nicolas was traveling back to Chile and is in Miami now. He Can't go back to Stgo because the airport is out of order for now.

NicoFan
02-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Thank you so much brothers, love ya all :hug:

:hug: back at you and all the Chileans. Following Nico and Fernando all those years, Chile means a lot to me.

NicoFan
02-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Nicolas was traveling back to Chile and is in Miami now. He Can't go back to Stgo because the airport is out of order for now.

Thanks for the news, Lovely. The airport should be open tomorrow - they said it would close for 24 hours. Don't know how accurate this is, but CNN reported that the runways were okay, but one of the terminals has damage.

LOVELY
02-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the news, Lovely. The airport should be open tomorrow - they said it would close for 24 hours. Don't know how accurate this is, but CNN reported that the runways were okay, but one of the terminals has damage.
You're welcome.As soon as I have updates from Nico, I will let you know.
I'm still very very worried for Alonso...No news at all...:sad:

Har-Tru
02-27-2010, 11:34 PM
choopie como siempre meando fuera del tiesto :rolleyes:

:haha:

Deboogle!.
02-28-2010, 04:34 PM
A couple people have posted on Alonso's facebook saying that they are glad he is safe and OK. Thank goodness, and glad it looks like all of our MTF Chileans are also safe and fine. :hug: for all affected

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Santiago's aiport will be open 100% in the next hours. Today some international flights arrived to Santiago in order to restore normal things.

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Man, really i'm so lucky to stay alive. This is the 8th powerful earthquake in history, 2nd most in our history.

Tsumanis destroyed all the cities at sea-level in almost 500-600 kms from Viña-Valparaiso (120 kms to the west of Santiago). Santiago, the capital city and when i live, is half destroyed, all the old houses and some streets are down. Concepción (biggest city of the south) is 90% destroyed, the port of Talcahuano is almost a ghost city... man this is painful to watch, really. :sad:

Also, other Tsumani hit Juan Fernandez's island and destroyed almost all the island. Simply unreal.

Dini
02-28-2010, 07:12 PM
My thoughts go out to all those affected. Truly saddening. :sad:

ChinoRios4Ever
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
6th strongest earthquake ever recorded.

i was checking the geographical coordinates with the 9.5 earthquake of 1960 and it's not far away from where it happened.

1960: Valdivia 9.5 - biggest earthquake in the history of the planet Earth.

1985: San Antonio 8.0 - destroyed all the central coast and mid Santiago

2010: Concepción 9.0 - 2nd strongest earthquake in chilean history, i mean 5th overall. Tsumanis destroyed all the central-south coast cities in almost 500-600 kms.

It happens every 25 years here. Chillán 1939 was very powerful too, also we had one in 1997 near Coquimbo 7.7 (the city of DC tie next weekend) and in 2005 at Taracapá (almost in the border with Perú and Bolivia).

Man, we have 700+ dead people till now, many to count. :sad:

Reports say that the epicenter was in Concepcion, which happens to be the 2nd biggest city of Chile.

Yep, Concepción is almost 700.000 people and is the 2nd biggest city of the country (Santiago 1st by far, then Concepción 2nd, Viña-Valparaiso 3rd and Antofagasta 4th). The city is 90% down, the epicenter there was more of 9.0, but the government doesn't want to create more chaos in the people.

Or Levy
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
My thoughts are with all the Chileans. The more time passes, the clearer the devestation is. That was some earthquake.

Experimentee
02-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Terrible news, all my sympathy to the Chileans, and hopefully all the MTF posters and their families are fine.

cobalt60
02-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Terrible news, all my sympathy to the Chileans, and hopefully all the MTF posters and their families are fine.

Ditto.

Chileno
03-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Its terrible to be away from home in this time of need...I know it may sound stupid but a part of me wants to be in Conce trying to help out...I'm originally from Conce and I can't make contact from the outside. A cousin told me all my relatives were fine, houses are ok and only suffered minor problems (broken glasses and such). I'm still waiting to hear about my friends though...the wait is horrible. I just visited all of them a month ago! And I remember I even joked about a tremor we felt when we were there...about 5.0. We knew the 'big one' was due...but no matter how you prepare for it mentally...it is still too much.

Concepcion will recover though, we built stuff to last as we have a history in Earthquakes...alongside Japan and San Francisco we probably have the toughest building regulations in the world...still...and 8.8 is an 8.8 and some of the older buildings in poorer districts have fallen. I know only of one new building that has fallen, only 60% was occupied thankfully. The Chemistry Faculty of the Uni is up in flames...again I hope no one was working at 3AM there...I know of an old government building that fell, thankfully no one was there at the time.

The guys that really took a beating were the folks in the port of Talcahuano...they got the Earthquake AND a Tsunami. Also the guys that suffered the most were the poor fishing communities in our region. I'm guessing most of them managed to flee, but I am sure they lost EVERYTHING to the Tsunami.

ClaudiuS
03-01-2010, 05:42 PM
For the guys who were worried...I'm okay :)

The earthquake felt quite strong to me...almost 3 mins of quake (with nearly 2 mins of +8.0 magnitude shakings) :o Luckily I didn't get out of bed, or all the bookshelves would have fell on me..the car moved back almost 1 mt because they saw it jumping, all the glasses break, at the morning, my street had a lot of rubbles around, specially because there were lots of old constructions around. I have pics of all that, I'll upload them as soon as the power around my area gets back.

My thoughts to all the people at the Maule and Bio-Bio areas. I heard entire coast towns were just swallowed by the sea, hotels, disco-clubs, hospitals, everything.

Lee
03-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Glad to know you're OK, Claudio!

Eden
03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Its terrible to be away from home in this time of need...I know it may sound stupid but a part of me wants to be in Conce trying to help out...I'm originally from Conce and I can't make contact from the outside. A cousin told me all my relatives were fine, houses are ok and only suffered minor problems (broken glasses and such). I'm still waiting to hear about my friends though...the wait is horrible.

I hope you will get good news from your friends soon. I don't think it sounds stupid at all that you want to be in your homecountry in this situation.

It's really a tragedy what happened. May every Chilean poster from MTF and their loves ones be safe.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Claudio :worship: menos mal wn!

abraxas21
03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
serious shit is going down in concepción... most people don't have water and fuel, lootings to shops, malls, supermarkets are happening, a curfew was established, the military was called in to prevent massive lootings, a man was shot dead by the military.

Bilbo
03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
serious shit is going down in concepción... most people don't have water and fuel, lootings to shops, malls, supermarkets are happening, a curfew was established, the military was called in to prevent massive lootings, a man was shot dead by the military.

i heard over 200 prisoners were escaping after the walls of the prison collapsed

ChinoRios4Ever
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
i heard over 200 prisoners were escaping after the walls of the prison collapsed

was 290 in Chillán, near on Concepción... i heard that 60 were captured

Bilbo
03-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Chilean Quake Likely Shifted Earth’s Axis, NASA Scientist Says

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The earthquake that killed more than 700 people in Chile on Feb. 27 probably shifted the Earth’s axis and shortened the day, a National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist said.

Earthquakes can involve shifting hundreds of kilometers of rock by several meters, changing the distribution of mass on the planet. This affects the Earth’s rotation, said Richard Gross, a geophysicist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, who uses a computer model to calculate the effects.

“The length of the day should have gotten shorter by 1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),” Gross, said today in an e-mailed reply to questions. “The axis about which the Earth’s mass is balanced should have moved by 2.7 milliarcseconds (about 8 centimeters or 3 inches).”

The changes can be modeled, though they’re difficult to physically detect given their small size, Gross said. Some changes may be more obvious, and islands may have shifted, according to Andreas Rietbrock, a professor of Earth Sciences at the U.K.’s Liverpool University who has studied the area impacted, though not since the latest temblor.

Santa Maria Island off the coast near Concepcion, Chile’s second-largest city, may have been raised 2 meters (6 feet) as a result of the latest quake, Rietbrock said today in a telephone interview. He said the rocks there show evidence pointing to past earthquakes shifting the island upward in the past.

‘Ice-Skater Effect’

“It’s what we call the ice-skater effect,” David Kerridge, head of Earth hazards and systems at the British Geological Survey in Edinburgh, said today in a telephone interview. “As the ice skater puts when she’s going around in a circle, and she pulls her arms in, she gets faster and faster. It’s the same idea with the Earth going around if you change the distribution of mass, the rotation rate changes.”

Rietbrock said he hasn’t been able to get in touch with seismologists in Concepcion to discuss the quake, which registered 8.8 on the Richter scale (Bilbo: it's not the Richter scale).

“What definitely the earthquake has done is made the Earth ring like a bell,” Rietbrock said.

The magnitude 9.1 Sumatran in 2004 that generated an Indian Ocean tsunami shortened the day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted the axis by about 2.3 milliarcseconds, Gross said.

The changes happen on the day and then carry on “forever,” Benjamin Fong Chao, dean of Earth Sciences of the National Central University in Taiwan, said in an e-mail.

“This small contribution is buried in larger changes due to other causes, such as atmospheric mass moving around on Earth,” Chao said.

Source: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-01/chilean-quake-likely-shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html

Further read: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/03/02/chile.quake/index.html

+alonso
03-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Estoy bien! Hoy llegué a Santiago. Mi casa resistió super bien y solo tenemos problemas en las panderetas que estan en el suelo! La casucha del gas está en el suelo y el patio techado está bien desmoronado.
Todo bien con mi familia, la verdad es que el problema mas grande que pasamos fué el tema de los saqueos que estaban briiigidos, escuchaba balazos (balacera enorme) a 2 cuadras de la casa... 30 weones en un camión saqueando las casas sin importar si estaban habitadas o no!! Con mis vecinos armamos una pseudo milicia pa' resguardar el pasaje. Por suerte anoche corrió el toque de queda y se calmó la cosa.. Ahora arrancamos no mas.

Gracias por la preocupación

KarlyM
03-02-2010, 11:30 PM
This is sad. :awww:

My thoughts are with the country of Chile, and I hope they can get things under control quickly and recover fully from this. ;)

I hope all the Chilean MTF members are okay and the same for the Chilean families and friends of the whole MTF community. :hug:

Deboogle!.
03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
alonso :hug::hug::hug:

Heinz_Ahlers
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
i was in Concepcion on friday night, took some pictures the following day

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2049882&id=1053849411&l=7a075428d1
:sad:

ClaudiuS
03-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Estoy bien! Hoy llegué a Santiago. Mi casa resistió super bien y solo tenemos problemas en las panderetas que estan en el suelo! La casucha del gas está en el suelo y el patio techado está bien desmoronado.
Todo bien con mi familia, la verdad es que el problema mas grande que pasamos fué el tema de los saqueos que estaban briiigidos, escuchaba balazos (balacera enorme) a 2 cuadras de la casa... 30 weones en un camión saqueando las casas sin importar si estaban habitadas o no!! Con mis vecinos armamos una pseudo milicia pa' resguardar el pasaje. Por suerte anoche corrió el toque de queda y se calmó la cosa.. Ahora arrancamos no mas.

Gracias por la preocupación

ohh weoooon! :eek: Yo hubiese estado con el culo a 2 manos con ese asunto de la balacera.

En mi pueblito se cayó casi todo lo que habia quedado a medias por el terremoto del 1985, tambien se me partió el nicho de los balones de Gas y se rompió la tuberia.

ClaudiuS
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
My room :D (Fortunately my head was lying at the other side of the bed)

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs467.snc3/25656_339569259079_641189079_3714870_1744099_n.jpg

Other room

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25656_339569279079_641189079_3714873_2280450_n.jpg

a part of My street :(

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25656_339569374079_641189079_3714881_3778897_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs447.snc3/25656_339569444079_641189079_3714886_5420388_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs467.ash1/25656_339569504079_641189079_3714891_4289838_n.jpg

ClaudiuS
03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
terrible.
but all of you only chile,chile,chile.
tahiti,hawai(at 23 cet),etc should be very scared of tcunami
could be 10 times worse than in chile.

:spit: at least you know how to spell Chile and that's quite an improvement coming from someone who writes a post like that. :lol:

What???

I don't know if the Tsunami hitted Hawai with significance...but here it did massively. In the harbour of Talcahuano you can see the ships next to the buildings of the downtown...like that's like a couple of kilometers from the harbour.

http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a1-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a5-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg
http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a2-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a7-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg
http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a12-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a13-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg
http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a17-terremoto-talcahuano-chile-p.jpg

ClaudiuS
03-04-2010, 05:14 PM
And that's how some of the Coast towns end up because of the Tsunami.

http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a26-terremoto-chile-p.jpg http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a27-terremoto-chile-p.jpg
http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a29-terremoto-chile-p.jpg

ChinoRios4Ever
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.terra.com.pe/addon/img/noticias/fbf4a29-terremoto-chile-p.jpg

:sad: this is so emotional man

Zirconek
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
This tragedy is so sad and I'm confident Chileans will show again how great they are by recovering well from this. :hug:

ClaudiuS
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Aftershocks are really a pain in the arse

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/region/S_America.gif

Bilbo
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM
there's a 6.3 in the atacama desert northeast of antofagasta and another 6.3 more inland to the east

buddyholly
03-05-2010, 11:54 AM
[quote=ClaudiuS;9686387]
What???

I don't know if the Tsunami hitted Hawai with significance...but here it did massively. In the harbour of Talcahuano you can see the ships next to the buildings of the downtown...like that's like a couple of kilometers from the harbour.[quote]

Yes, my post was before any news came out about the Chilean tsunami. Clearly I do not have everything clear in my mind. To cause a tsunami you have to displace water, not just shake it. So even though the quake was fairly deep it seems that it was big enough to still cause significant relative movement of the crust in places. I believe I read about as much as 2 metres surface uplift in some coastal places. So that indeed would cause a tsunami.
Now I have to read up on why the Asian tsunami crossed an ocean with full force, while the Chilean one did not.

Thanks for the photos, which really show what it must have been like to be in a building at the time. Even though the recent Costa Rican quake shook my condo fairly violently, the only thing that fell over was a can of tennis balls. And in another condo a water pipe broke. To go from that amount of damage to what you show in your house is mind-boggling.

ClaudiuS
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
there's a 6.3 in the atacama desert northeast of antofagasta and another 6.3 more inland to the east

Yes.

There was a 6.6° in the coast of Maule region (it was an hour ago). I think I felt it a bit, but I feel the floor shaking nearly all day, so It's practically routine stuff already. I just checked we had 3 aftershocks in the last hour (a 5.3°, then a 5.0°, ending with a 4.7°)

The 3 aftershocks of last night were strong here...around 5.6° and 5.9°. I felt the first 2.

ClaudiuS
03-05-2010, 12:22 PM
This aftershock situation reminds me of Mats Wilander :haha:

The guy was in serious shock after the quake, he left the country and said afterwards in Sweden. "I'm not going back there, no fucking way! I couldn't even sleep there during the whole night, the floor moved all day" He didn't even played the tie for DC during the next weeks. Luckily they still won the tie because of Edberg.

It really surprised me that the people from both federations decided to play the series just the same, given that in that city alone there were 350 dead and it was total chaos. Perhaps for the Chileans it’s normal for the earth to shake, but not for me. (Mats Wilander)

Carlita
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Aftershocks are really a pain in the arse

there are still aftershocks? :unsure:

ClaudiuS
03-05-2010, 12:40 PM

experts say they will last for a month or 2.

Here's the list :) http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Carlita
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
experts say they will last for a month or 2.

Here's the list :) http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.phpomg....

Bilbo
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carlita
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:what's your problem?! Just because you are, obviously :rolleyes: , the earthquake expert doesnt mean the rest of us are too. :p

Bilbo
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
what's your problem?! Just because you are, obviously :rolleyes: , the earthquake expert doesnt mean the rest of us are too. :p

well, it's normal to have aftershocks after 6 days. you don't need to be an expert to know that.

but that's exactly what i criticise around here. most people don't care for their planet and how it works just when something happens.

scoobs
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
well, it's normal to have aftershocks after 6 days. you don't need to be an expert to know that.

but that's exactly what i criticise around here. most people don't care for their planet and how it works just when something happens.
Most people know that there are aftershocks after earthquakes, most people probably won't know for how long they will continue after the primary event so there's no need to be rude about that.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2010, 04:59 PM

but that's exactly what i criticise around here. most people don't care for their planet and how it works just when something happens.oh come on, I wouldn't expect someone living in a place that doesn't get many earthquakes to understand the aftershock issue. I happen to live in one of the most seismically active parts of the US so we are very familiar with it here because it's always on the news, but if you don't have to deal with it, why would you learn specifics about aftershocks? Regardless, having 6+ magnitude aftershocks nearly a week after the initial quake is difficult for these poor Chileans to deal with, whether it's expected to happen or normal or not, I'm sure the Chileans jolted out of their beds this morning yet again don't really give a damn that it is expected. I live in LA now, if you ask people here what a "noreaster" is I bet almost no one would know, but it's the most dangerous and serious type of storm that hits the northeastern part of the US many times each winter. I think it's utterly ridiculous to expect everyone in the world to be a meteorologist or seismologist :lol:

buddyholly
03-05-2010, 06:09 PM

How high does your level of education go anyway? Higher than your level of manners I hope. You are giving geologists a bad name.

Zirconek
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
yep, geologists suck :p

+alonso
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM
This is getting scary. Now there's intense volcanic activity in Araucania region. :rolleyes:
Today we had a 6,8 aftershock near Concepcion....

+alonso
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Lighting storm in Pto Montt days ago
http://terratv.terra.cl/Noticias/Actualidad/Especiales/Terremoto-en-Chile/7773-171701/Captan-sorprendente-tormenta-electrica-en-Llanquihue.htm

Jelena
03-05-2010, 09:22 PM
This is getting scary. Now there's intense volcanic activity in Araucania region. :rolleyes:
Today we had a 6,8 aftershock near Concepcion....
A few days ago I read that this happened already quite often. Short after a big earthquake (especially in South America) the volcanos in the Andes restart their activity.

buddyholly
03-06-2010, 09:18 PM
yep, geologists suck :p

Geologists rock!!!!!!!!!!!!

ClaudiuS
03-07-2010, 09:41 PM
FYA Aftershocks

By the way I found some amateur videos about the Earthquake.

ouaxITYdECE

ZVy5h2NADyA

4:19 min of the 2nd video :tape: holy crap.

ChinoRios4Ever
03-07-2010, 11:11 PM
:o

Aftershocks doesn't scare me at all, it's getting slower day after day :p

abraxas21
03-08-2010, 03:12 AM
We are all going to die. Expect all Chilean MTF posters to disappear for good in the upcoming months.

Luinir
03-08-2010, 06:14 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/07/turkey.earthquake/index.html?hpt=T2

41 dead currently.. :sad:

Nikki♥
03-08-2010, 06:25 AM
OMG :sad:

ClaudiuS
03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
A 5.8 and a 5.5? :eek: What kind of constructions they have there? Chopsticks made? :o

Tragic how many dead people are already there.

Luinir
03-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Soil houses were destroyed in villages..

57 dead according to latest information..

Har-Tru
03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
A Chilean friend is telling me right now they're having 7+ aftershocks.

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 02:27 PM
yeah, I felt 3.

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 02:30 PM
according to the info. It was a 7.2 and 15 mins later a 6.9 with just 10 kms of difference between both epicenters.

It was felt like +6.5° in Santiago. Yeah, the wooden floor was cracking big time, and the lamp was moving from side to side.

Then I felt another one, that isn't registered yet.

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
the third one was...6.0°

Also a Tsunami alert has been announced from La Serena to Puerto Montt.

Arkulari
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
the tsunami alert has been issued all over the pacific coast of south america: Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and Chile or at least that's what I heard in the news

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
LOL at the faces of the Brazilian guests inside the Senate at the moment of the 3 aftershocks. (Today is the Presidency change over ceremony in Valparaiso)

ChinoRios4Ever
03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
welcome Piñera :wavey: :scared:

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Bolivian and Paraguayan Presidents at the moment of one of the aftershocks. :haha:

http://www.ultimahora.com/adjuntos/imagenes/000/182/0000182303.jpg

ClaudiuS
03-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I just felt another one...and another one....and another one. Ah F*ck it! xD