Richie In The States- 2 Masters 1000. [Archive] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Richie In The States- 2 Masters 1000.

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Getta
03-24-2010, 08:23 PM
I am curious what Markus will do now, continue in April/May with entering a tourney every week.

is he going to play Monte-Carlo?

btw i'll be in Barcelona, just hope he doesn't rip my heart out there...

xAtomsx
03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I never expected much from him in Miami and he proved me right. I'd have preferred to be wrong, though. As nobody has seen anything, it is totally useless to speculate about his level of play.

I am convinced about that. I always said he should not have gone there at all, but maybe he wanted to prove something to himself which had nothing to do with tennis.

Come on ... If he only wants to play in Europe, and NOT in France, this is gonna be a BIG problem for his career ... he is not Federer - yet :drool:- he can't just choose his tournaments ...

During the next months he is going to need points, to be a seeded player again if he wants to get Big results in Big tournaments ... and in order to do that he is going to need every tournament ...

reggie1
03-24-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't mean to be sarcastic (I genuinely can't think of one) but has he won a tight match since Wimbledon 07 and when was the last time he won a five setter? Was it that Roddick match?

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Come on ... If he only wants to play in Europe, and NOT in France, this is gonna be a BIG problem for his career ... he is not Federer - yet :drool:- he can't just choose his tournaments.

I never said he should only play in Europe, but Miami was a stress for him and nobody can convince me of the opposite. And of couse he can choose his tournaments, with lesser room for manoeuvre than the current top players, but nobody forces him to play week in week out.

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Vicky - He saved match points v Isner in Basel. And he was amazing in that match. 4-6 7-6 (9) 6-2

oh and he managed to scrape though that god awful first round Aussie open last year that he should have won in straights.

I think you are right about his last 5th set win though.

I don't think he can choose really. he's going to be limited to where he makes the cut and also he needs to keep playing as many as possible to keep the ranking better for the slams.

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't mean to be sarcastic (I genuinely can't think of one) but has he won a tight match since Wimbledon 07

Kuala Lumpur last year when he outaced Johansson to win 4-6 7-6 6-2

Isner in Basel last year saving two MPs to win 4-6 7-6 6-2.

reggie1
03-24-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks T. Also on a practical level, I can't imagine the money's rolling like it has in the past, keep on losing first/ second round. Travelling is expensive and I can't remember whose interview it was, but I remember a player saying it gets very costly to play tournament after tournament once outside the top 50 and if you lose early on.

reggie1
03-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks aswell Puschkin, it's nice to reminded of happier times.

xAtomsx
03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks T. Also on a practical level, I can't imagine the money's rolling like it has in the past, keep on losing first/ second round. Travelling is expensive and I can't remember whose interview it was, but I remember a player saying it gets very costly to play tournament after tournament once outside the top 50 and if you lose early on.

I think money is not a problem right now for Richard ;)

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 08:48 PM
well hopefully he did well with sponsors at a young age as he looked so promising and is in long term contracts rather than shorter term performance related ones.

I can't imagine the legal stuff last year was cheap either though. I know he got costs paid from the CAS for the appeal but I'm sure that won't have covered what was actually spent by some way. Teams of top barristers absolutely don't come cheap.

Also his coach is now outside team lagardere. Don't the french players have some thing like with the FFT where they pay a percentage of their earnings and that pays for their coach, etc. but Markus is outside of that so not sure how that works.

I'm sure he isn't the same cashwise as he was last year.

Vlad1980
03-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Kuala Lumpur last year when he outaced Johansson to win 4-6 7-6 6-2

Isner in Basel last year saving two MPs to win 4-6 7-6 6-2.

Those were good comebacks, I especially liked the one against Isner. Also, he came back from set down against Moya this year on clay who he never beat before and looked very confident.

reggie1
03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I agree T, I know our idea of being skint won't be the same as his no doubt :lol: but income wise things must be different now.

Naina
03-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Richie :sad:
wasted trip to the US. Things HAVE to turn around for the better at some point.Hope he isn't too down.

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I agree T, I know our idea of being skint won't be the same as his no doubt :lol:.

So true. I'm looking to buy a house right now and it's a huge deal for me but is probably equivalent to about 2 days of Rafa's earnings.

case
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
maybe gasquet would be better off with doubles. forget singles for a while and also forget losing. he is sure to do better and get out of the losing mentality. not near as much pressure

i still dont think challengers is the way to go though.

would have liked the entry list of the casablanca tourney except for rochus is also on it:rolleyes: everyone seems a threat these days

GasquetFan
03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh Richard..... :(

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Giving up singles is career suicide for him. IMO. It's difficult to ever get back where you are rankings wise once you are on a slip. This looks bad but it isn't the end of the world. His results this year are race top 50ish and he's been crap. A good grass court season and he'll be back top 30 even top 20 again.

case
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
His results this year are race top 50ish and he's been crap. A good grass court season and he'll be back top 30 even top 20 again.

REALLY GOOD POINT! i feel better now. thanks
did they cancel nottingham? he did so well there. seems like that birthday cake was just yesterday.

Puschkin
03-24-2010, 09:50 PM
Giving up singles is career suicide for him. IMO.
I totally agree.

It's difficult to ever get back where you are rankings wise once you are on a slip. This looks bad but it isn't the end of the world.
Exactly, as if nobody ever returned to the Top 20 or even further up from a ranking like Richard's.

A good grass court season and he'll be back top 30 even top 20 again.
He has 45 points to defend for the whole clay season, 0 points on grass. It can only get better.

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Nottingham is now a challenger I think not sure of the dates though.

Eastbourne is now where Nottingham used to be in the calendar it's now a joint men and women's event.

Schu
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Well I left for my meeting at 2-2 in the first and not at all surprised to see another loss with the same old story - did I hear he was serving for the 1st set? totally blew out opponent in the secind but ONCE AGAIN can't maintian intensity, focus, nerve to close out a match.

It's not fitness, poor strategy, crappy forehand or any other excuse. He has to learn how to WIN all over again. Unfortunately the only way to do that is to keep playing until the wins come. And someday hopefully VERY SOON the wins will come (or he fades away into oblivion). It's not easy to break a loosing habit but it can be done; I just hope it doesn't break him before he breaks it. Maybe being back on European clay will do the trick and if not there is always grass...

acd692
03-24-2010, 10:00 PM
he is done..he will be out from top 100 this year.....

:sad::sad::sad:

it's difficult to be optimist right now.. i hope he can win a match soon

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Well I left for my meeting at 2-2 in the first and not at all surprised to see another loss with the same old story - did I hear he was serving for the 1st set? totally blew out opponent in the secind but ONCE AGAIN can't maintian intensity, focus, nerve to close out a match.

It's not fitness, poor strategy, crappy forehand or any other excuse. He has to learn how to WIN all over again. Unfortunately the only way to do that is to keep playing until the wins come. And someday hopefully VERY SOON the wins will come (or he fades away into oblivion). It's not easy to break a loosing habit but it can be done; I just hope it doesn't break him before he breaks it. Maybe being back on European clay will do the trick...

gulbis should be his inspiration (well in terms of the wins only) but he's broken a year long slump.

GasquetFan
03-24-2010, 10:03 PM
This is so tough.. :sad:

Hopefully rest of the year will be better..

icecastle
03-24-2010, 10:36 PM
i want to give Richie a big hug. i just hope that his team and the people around him can stay positive for him.

Schu
03-24-2010, 10:46 PM
gulbis should be his inspiration (well in terms of the wins only) but he's broken a year long slump.

Yep, It can be done "fur shuure"

And look at Simon, Richie helped him break his winless 2010 :D

Cloudygirl
03-24-2010, 10:49 PM
who the hell is going to help Richard though. About time he helped himself.

scmom
03-25-2010, 12:37 AM
I am sad , another disheartening loss for Richard

But get on a plane and get the hell out of Miami
get back to France and find your game, your confidence
I am not going to give up on his just yet
I feel one win - just one - and everything will start looking up
He just has to keep trying and keep playing -
I do hope he is getting good emotional support from his team
I am trying to send positive vibes to him through the board here !

now - does anyone know - as he heads out of the States - is there a challenger next week, like the Sunrise event - that players participate in once they are out of Miami ?
Or is he just going home, practicing and waiting for his next big event in Casablanca ?

Davodus
03-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Ahh, ridiculous! By the look of all the stats, he was the better player and he lost. Bloody hell.

Lemon Custard
03-25-2010, 01:38 AM
I was hoping to be up for this, but I have a cold and slept through. Kind of glad I didn't.... It would have made me way more miserable. :sad:

icecastle
03-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I was hoping to be up for this, but I have a cold and slept through. Kind of glad I didn't.... It would have made me way more miserable. :sad:

feel better Amy

Cloudygirl
03-25-2010, 07:58 AM
i want to give Richie a big hug. i just hope that his team and the people around him can stay positive for him.

I want to give him a bit of a shake and tell him to pull himself together actually. He was playing so well at the start of January.

tennisc
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Well, I feel badly, but I'm sure he feels worse. It must have been very hard to go back to Miami and he probably couldn't wait to get out of there. But, in life, one must face their fears instead of running from them. He needs some courage to go along with confidence and concentration right now.
I also hope he has some positive support from his family and team. I think one win would do him wonders, too. Maybe a couple of days in south of France are in order.
God bless you, Richard. I hope and pray you find whatever it is you need.

Schu
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I was bored at work and just checked the scorboard for Miami -- :eek: Rochus just won the first set 6-2! :banghead: Richie :hug:

case
03-26-2010, 11:15 PM
yeah i saw that rochus defeated nole???wtf?? well does that mean that rochus is a brilliant player or nole sucked?
i already know that gasquet sucked! ;)gasquet still should have won that match:(!

Schu
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
yeah i saw that rochus defeated nole???wtf?? well does that mean that rochus is a brilliant player or nole sucked?
i already know that gasquet sucked! ;)gasquet still should have won that match:(!

Judging from the service stats I'd say the latter. Lucky Olie - 2 suckers in a row...

case
03-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Judging from the service stats I'd say the latter. Lucky Olie - 2 suckers in a row...

or that third option that i forgot to include - they BOTH sucked!:spit:

Jaffas85
03-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Gasquet was playing pretty well in Sydney at the start of the year so it's a shame his form has fallen away so dramatically.

Fortunately he has plenty of points to gain, and nothing to defend, through to the US Open (It's kind of weird that he hasn't played the French Open since 2007 and has never been past the 3rd round there).

scmom
03-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I am so annoyed. I know I should not speculate , but I cannot help but feel that if Richard had somehow gotten past his Miami demons , and Rochus , this could have been a great opportunity for him. Nole is so out of form - and a win like this could have really boosted Richard's confidence.

I know - I know - with the luck this boy has , had he eeked out a win against Rochus , Djokovic would have come out with all guns blazin '

Still , I cannot help but wonder , and bemoan lost opportunities .

So , now that I have vented, ... it is water under the bridge , as they say,
on to the clay season , and hope for the best .
It is strange to think it has been so long since Richard played in the French

tennisc
03-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Strange, indeed. I've never even seen him play at Roland Garros. You know our tv coverage always showcases the great American talent we have.(?)
I knew Djokovic was pooped. He didn't play that well in IW and I didn't expect much of him in Miami. Rich missed an opportunity, but that's in the past and time to move on, which I hope he is doing.
I'm looking forward to clay season. I really enjoy this time of year. Ahh, Spring!

Lemon Custard
03-28-2010, 02:40 AM
I know he was having some issues at the time, but he really should have tried switching coaches in the off season.... he needed to get over any teething, communication, emotional, whatever issues before the season began. I mean.. he was playing so well at the beginning of the season, so we know he has the ability to win, but now he just seems so unsure. It's good to see Eric still beside him for moral support, but it's just... Frustrating! I agree with whoever said it (Tori??), he needs a sports psychologist, like... now. :(

case
03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
I know he was having some issues at the time, but he really should have tried switching coaches in the off season.... he needed to get over any teething, communication, emotional, whatever issues before the season began. ...(

teething?

guess no one has heard anything about monte? i really would like to see him play there