Loco down in Acapulco [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Loco down in Acapulco

FerrersLinda
02-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Better late than never.:tape:

1)(WC)Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs. Fabio Fognini (ITA)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs. Horacio Zeballos (ARG)
Peter Luczak (AUS) vs. Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)
Qualifier vs. (7)Juan Monaco (ARG)

(4)Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP) vs. Qualifier
Qualifier vs. Igor Andreev (RUS)
(WC)Carlos Moya (ESP) vs. Richard Gasquet (FRA)
Dudi Sela (ISR) vs. (6)Nicolas Almagro (ESP)

(8)Albert Montaños (ESP) vs. Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP)
Pablo Cuevas (URU) vs. Marcos Daniel (BRA)
Thomaz Bellucci (BRA) vs. Oscar Hernandez (ESP)
Potito Starace (ITA) vs. (3)David Ferrer (ESP)

(5)John Isner (USA) vs. Simon Greul (GER)
(WC)Santiago Gonzalez (MEX) vs. Qualifier
Victor Hanescu (ROM) vs. Frederico Gil (POR)
Sam Querrey (USA) vs. (2)Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)

FerrersLinda
02-23-2010, 03:02 PM
He plays fifth on court two today. Sandwiched by Monaco on one side and Juan Carlos on the other. Lucky David. :lol:

FerrersLinda
02-24-2010, 01:55 AM
David just won 6-2, 6-4.

alisia
02-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Better late than never.:tape:

we are such bad fans :awww:

anita86
02-25-2010, 08:26 AM
David won to Potito Starace and Thomaz Bellucci.
Today, in QF, he will play against Pablo Cuevas.

Ad Wim
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
64 61 against on fire Bellucci, very impressive! Keep it up David!

FerrersLinda
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
we are such bad fans :awww:

:sad: I know. It's just that we also have lives. We shouldn't ..... but I can't help it.

alisia
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Cuevas was 5*-2 up but David came back to win the 1st set 7-5 :rolleyes: He won the match 7-5 6-4

Third seed David Ferrer of Spain also maintained his solid form on clay, advancing to the semi-finals with a 7-5, 6-4 win over Uruguay’s Pablo Cuevas. Ferrer capitalised on four of his 12 break points during the one-hour, 53-minute match, and did not afford his opponent any break back attempts in the second set as he lost just five points on serve.

The World No. 17 is through to his third straight semi-final on the ATP World Tour. He reached this stage earlier this month at the hard-court SA Tennis Open (l. to Robert), and finished runner-up to countryman Juan Carlos Ferrero last week at the Copa Telmex in Buenos Aires.

Ferrer had fallen in the second round in his three previous Acapulco appearances from 2003-05, but has not dropped a set in his three matches this week. He will face No. 2 seed Fernando Gonzalez of Chile for a place in the final.

alisia
02-27-2010, 09:39 AM
David beat Gonzo 6-7 6-0 6-4 and will face JCF in the final :worship:

Saturday's final will be a repeat of last week's Copa Telmex championship decider following Spanish No. 3 seed David Ferrer's 6-7(4), 6-0, 6-4 win over No. 2 seed Fernando Gonzalez.

Ferrer, who notched his fourth win over Gonzalez in nine meetings, will be looking to avenge a three-set loss to his compatriot Ferrero in Buenos Aires last Sunday.

On Friday, one break each in the first set sent Ferrer and Gonzalez into a tie-break, which Gonzalez played the more aggressively. But the one-set deficit spurred Ferrer into action, blazing through the second set, losing just seven points en route.

The third set was a tighter affair, with Ferrer saving the sole break point he faced and securing one of the four he held on Gonzalez's serve. Serving at 3-5 Gonzalez was a point from defeat but the Chilean managed to hold and force Ferrer to serve it out, which he did after two hours, 16 minutes of play.

"It was an intense match," said Ferrer. "In the second set he gave me many free points and put me back into the match. To my credit I kept fighting for every point because that’s my game."

Despite losing last week to Ferrero, Ferrer holds a 5-2 lead in their lifetime series, and a 2-1 lead on clay.

"Tomorrow should be another very good match," Ferrer said of the final against Ferrero. "I'm very good friends with Juan Carlos. We know each other’s game very well so it will be a matter of who can be tougher mentally and physically."

danielmom
02-28-2010, 04:22 AM
David WON!!!! 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 :woohoo:

alisia
02-28-2010, 10:11 AM
He won :speakles: :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Ferrer denies Ferrero hat-trick

David Ferrer denied Juan Carlos Ferrero a third title in as many weeks with a 6-3 3-6 6-1 win in the final of ATP Acapulco tournament.

David Ferrer of Spain holds the Acapulco International trophy after defeating his compatriot Juan Carlos Ferrero in the men's final in Acapulco

It was sweet revenge for Ferrer who had lost to his good friend Ferrero in last week's final in Buenos Aires.

It was also the third seed's first title since he won in his home town of Valencia back in 2008.

Ferrero had been on fire during the Latin American clay court season after wins in Costa do Sauipe and Buenos Aires but his 14-match winning streak came to an end in one hour and 47 minutes.

alisia
02-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Ferrer Fells Ferrero In Acapulco Final

David Ferrer won his first title in more than one year.

David Ferrer avenged his loss to Juan Carlos Ferrero in last week’s Buenos Aires title match and denied his fellow Spaniard a piece of Latin American swing history with a fighting win in the final of the Abierto Mexicano Telcel in Acapulco Saturday night. After the close friends split the first two sets, Ferrer broke open the match by winning five consecutive games to start the third set en route to a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory.

“It was a hard fought match," reflected Ferrer. "We were running a lot out there. The points were very intense from the first game until the last. In the third set I think he started feeling tired and I took advantage of that. I knew he was coming from a sequence of tournaments so I kept pushing."

Ferrer, 27, won his eighth ATP World Tour title, and the first since 2008, when he won two titles in ‘s-Hertogenbosch and Valencia. The former Barclays ATP World Tour Finals finalist, has now won 12 of his past 14 matches, dating back to his semi-final run in Johannesburg. He began the year in more modest fashion, with a first-round loss to Auckland and a second-round defeat at the Australian Open.

World No. 17 Ferrer improved to 6-2 in career meetings with Ferrero.

"Our games are very similar and we also know each other very well so there are not many secrets on the court," explained Ferrer. "Juan Carlos is a very good friend but once we step on the court we try to forget that and play as hard as we can. I hope I can play many more finals against Juan Carlos. It was a long time since I last won a title. It feels great to win the title in Acapulco."

Ferrer collects $227,000 and 500 South African Airways 2010 ATP Ranking points, while runner-up Ferrero pockets $106,500 and 300 points.

Ferrero was attempting to become the first player to win three titles during the four-week Latin American swing following his back-to-back triumphs in Costa do Sauipe and Buenos Aires. The former World No. 1 came into the final riding a 14-match winning streak, the second longest of his career.

"It was a good match. We were fighting for every point and in the beginning of the third set I thought he played better than me and that was the difference," commented Ferrero. “It was a very physical match. The difference from last week in Buenos Aires is that I was not being able to attack him.

“David is one of my best friends in the circuit. I am happy for him winning the title in Acapulco. He deserved it," added Ferrero.

The last time the same two players played in consecutive finals in back-to-back weeks was in 2001, when Gustavo Kuerten defeated Patrick Rafter in Cincinnati and then Rafter got his revenge the following week in Indianapolis.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2010/02/4th-Week/Acapulco-Saturday-Ferrer-Takes-Title.aspx

Sommarsverige
02-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss :bounce: :bounce:

Big congrats to David :yeah: :banana: :yippee:

FerrersLinda
02-28-2010, 01:10 PM
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:: crazy:

Ad Wim
02-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Vamooooos! Anyone by any chance has a video with highlights of the final?

alisia
02-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Vamooooos! Anyone by any chance has a video with highlights of the final?

very brief highlights of the match http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Media/Videos/2010/02/Acapulco-2010-Saturday-Highlights.aspx

Jillian
02-28-2010, 08:19 PM
So happy David won this match & back in the winning streak.......

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/Jilli12345_2006/pera7.jpg

Edda
04-28-2010, 03:13 AM
That was a great match between two great friends, Ferrer and Ferrero! (I just love saying that!)

cobalt60
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Article regarding Acapulco:

"The ATP is seriously worried about security in the tournament in Acapulco, Mexico, and has taken steps to improve conditions in Latin America's biggest tennis event.

"The ATP's warnings caused a little fear," Uruguayan player Pablo Cuevas told the German Press Agency dpa in Buenos Aires.

The tournament in Acapulco, which starts on Monday, is the last in a Latin American tour that previously took players to the Chilean capital Santiago, to Costa de Sauipe in Brazil and to Buenos Aires.

The ATP asked players, among others, to get to the tournament as late as possible and to leave Acapulco as soon as they can once they are out of the running, Cuevas said.

"I've been hearing a bit about the situation in Acapulco. The ATP informed us by sending us several emails. They acted quite well on that," Argentine player Juan Monaco told dpa.

"They told us that there were problems, that things were not easy there because there have been several kidnappings, murders and that kind of stuff," Monaco said.

The Pacific resort city of Acapulco, like other Mexican cities and towns, is frequently the scene of murders and shootouts between rival drug gangs who seek domination of the area to control drug trafficking.

Cuevas noted that he knew of several players who opted out of the tournament.

"Those who had doubts as to whether or not to go, that was a reason to opt out," he said.

Monaco said the ATP advised players to remain as much as possible in the hotel where they are to stay and to play their matches.

"They told us not to go out," he said.

A week ago, 10 people were shot dead in several parts of Acapulco. In early January, 15 men were decapitated and their bodies were left before a shopping centre in the city, on a particular day on which at least 25 people were killed in incidents linked to organised crime in Acapulco.

The tournament is set to feature prominent players like Spain's David Ferrer, Fernando Verdasco and Nicolas Almagro, France's Gael Monfils and Argentina's David Nalbandian."

ariel2
02-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Well, that's 1/2 of the active Spanish DC squad going down there to Acapulco. Hopefully security preparations will be sufficient, everything will go as planned and all players will return, David with the trophy of course, in one piece.

Thanks for the update Sue.

Edda
02-19-2011, 02:22 AM
Stay safe, David-and win!

alisia
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
The draw for 2011 is out

[1] David FERRER (ESP) vs QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER
[WC] Santiago GONZALEZ (MEX) vs [WC] Daniel GARZA (MEX)
Potito STARACE (ITA) vs Pablo CUEVAS (URU)
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs [7] Juan MONACO (ARG)

[4] Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI) vs Pablo ANDUJAR (ESP)
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs Fabio FOGNINI (ITA)
[SE] Milos RAONIC (CAN) vs Carlos BERLOCQ (ARG)
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs [6] Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (UKR)

[5] Albert MONTANES (ESP) vs Daniel GIMENO-TRAVER (ESP)
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs Santiago GIRALDO (COL)
QUALIFIER/LUCKY LOSER vs Filippo VOLANDRI (ITA)
Victor HANESCU (ROU) vs [3] Nicolas ALMAGRO (ESP)

[8] Juan Ignacio CHELA (ARG) vs Eduardo SCHWANK (ARG)
Ruben RAMIREZ HIDALGO (ESP) vs Lukasz KUBOT (POL)
Pere RIBA (ESP) vs [WC] Manuel SANCHEZ (MEX)
Thomaz BELLUCCI (BRA) vs [2] Fernando VERDASCO (ESP)

Edda
02-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Vamos, Ferru!

FerrersLinda
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Nice draw. :)

Chela - Schwank should be fun to watch. Would like to be able to see Raonic - Berlocq too. And pretty much every other match on in the draw. Hopefully I'll get some coverage.

Sommarsverige
02-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the update, Sue!
Doesn´t sound very good, but I hope the ATP did everything for the players safety.

Vamos Ferru :yeah:

Edda
02-22-2011, 01:54 AM
Vamos, Ferru! I hope I can get to see him play! Raonic will be interesting too. He's a good player.

Carol96
02-22-2011, 06:37 AM
A nice quick win to start David off, and more time to recover. That must make him feel good! :D

Just to edit - Raonic isn't playing, he's been substituted by lucky loser Daniel Monoz-de la Nava

Edda
02-23-2011, 02:41 AM
Congratulations, Ferru! Keep going-and win again!

Edda
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
You're on your way, Ferru! Looking forward to watching you play!

Sonja1989
02-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Easy two match, David. :banana:

Edda
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
I hope Ferru stays safe-and wins! The scary stuff going on down there gives me the shivers.

Sonja1989
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I hope Ferru stays safe-and wins! The scary stuff going on down there gives me the shivers.

Don't worry, the worst option is the lost 8 games, I guess.
Giraldo isn't bad player but David has very good form. :)

Carol96
02-25-2011, 06:59 AM
Well, the scary stuff for me was what was just going on on court!!!

Boy, what a fighter David is! I caught the 3rd set and my heart was in my mouth throughout, having seen how close the second ran from the scores. :eek:

BTW - WTF was David up to in the first set?:rolleyes: You can't tell much from stats really, but his were absolutely gross... I hope TennisTV will put the highlights up.

Dolgo tonight... fingers crossed for David!!:wavey:

cobalt60
02-25-2011, 12:16 PM
A win is a win no matter how bizarre :lol:

Sonja1989
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't care if David's all match is bizarre, but he must win this tournament.

Edda
02-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Congratulations, David! Good luck against Dolgopolov! I didn't see David's match last night, as I was much too nervous for him. So glad he won! He is tough and a fighter. It is sad that he thinks he's not as good as other players-because he is. I guess I like David because I feel for him.

FerrersLinda
02-25-2011, 12:46 PM
It's not a Ferrer match, if nothing bizarre happens. :)

Sonja1989
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I didn't see the match too yesterday, I'm watching now. But it was really bizarre.

alisia
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not a Ferrer match, if nothing bizarre happens. :)

or stressful for those watching :p

How is Mr March looking???

ariel2
02-26-2011, 06:28 AM
Well, the scary stuff for me was what was just going on on court!!!

Boy, what a fighter David is! I caught the 3rd set and my heart was in my mouth throughout, having seen how close the second ran from the scores. :eek:

BTW - WTF was David up to in the first set?:rolleyes: You can't tell much from stats really, but his were absolutely gross... I hope TennisTV will put the highlights up.

Juan Monico played very solid tennis - aggressive baselining all the way. Beautiful forehand hitting the corners. David's first serving was abysmal - (as it was against Dolgo tonight) and he tried in that first set to duke it out with Juan. Should have taken the initiative and come in to net to finish points that way. (Easy for me to say. :yawn:)

ariel2
02-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Good lord. It's a testament to David's fighting spirit that he's stringing these wins together. Tonight he managed to pull off yet another Houdini performance to win it 5-7 6-1 6-1. But neither tonight's or yesterday's matches were walks in the park. Tension a bit too high for me both nights. He's not playing his best right now and I was quite nervous about Dolgo and his serve, forehand, incessant slicing, and drop shots which did throw David off his rhythm in the first set. Fortunately Dolgo is still a gifted but highly combustible force out there and David stayed with him. The more I watch David the more I get the sense that he's not phased by losing a set or double faulting. He just wipes it out and starts anew. And that's a talent on its own. -

I'll be much more at ease tomorrow night with Almagro as his opponent. Good h to h stat. So Vamos Ferru for the title. :yeah:

Carol96
02-26-2011, 08:32 AM
The more I watch David the more I get the sense that he's not phased by losing a set or double faulting. He just wipes it out and starts anew. And that's a talent on its own. -

I'll be much more at ease tomorrow night with Almagro as his opponent. Good h to h stat. So Vamos Ferru for the title. :yeah:

Can't agree more. :yeah: When David's down, I always think of that incredible DC 09 comeback against Stepanek. To have that focus for such a prolonged period just shows how mentally tough David is. Yep, if he muffs a point, he just shrieks his frustration, gets rid of it and trundles back to the baseline. As the ATP uncovered vid referred to him, he's: "The Wall".

Of course Almagro's going to be fired to make a bit of history, but he must be getting tired by now? I'm not reading too much into his beating Bellucci in two sets, he's a good clay courter, but he's (IMHO) not really in David or Almagro's league. And David... as the commies remarked during the last set, Juan Monaco just happened to run into the fittest guy on the tour ;)

VAMOSSS FERRRUUUU!!! :worship:

alisia
02-26-2011, 09:22 AM
ORDER OF PLAY - SATURDAY, 26 FEBRUARY, 2011

CANCHA CENTRAL start 4:30 pm
V Hanescu (ROU) / H Tecau (ROU) vs [4] M Melo (BRA) / B Soares (BRA) - ATP - DOUBLES FINAL

Not Before 6:30 PM
[4] G Dulko (ARG) vs [6] A Parra Santonja (ESP) - WTA - SINGLES FINAL

Not Before 9:00 PM
[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs [3] N Almagro (ESP) - ATP - SINGLES FINAL

Edda
02-26-2011, 12:49 PM
That DC match in 2009 is what started getting me into David big time! What a fighter! He is also called the "Pitbull." Congratulations, Ferru! I'm rooting for you! Another all-Spanish final in Acapulco! Last year it was Juanqui; this year it's Nico.

Vamos, David!

cobalt60
02-26-2011, 02:13 PM
:banana: He looked lost in the first set but hoo-ra! Found his legs.

Carol96
02-27-2011, 06:01 AM
The Wall, The Pitbull .... but what the heck!!

HE DID IT!!!!!:worship:

ACAPULCO CHAMPION 2011 - DAVID FERRER ERN!!!

Well deserved fighting Ferru!!! :bounce::bounce::hearts:

iramlatif
02-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi! I'm so happy that he won. It was an exciting match to watch. (I admit a tiny part of me felt for Nico at the end because he was certainly playing fantastic) Ferrer certainly seems to have a promising year ahead of him. I wish him the best for the rest of 2011 and of course Davis Cup.

Also as a side note, I wanted to know if any of you picked up on what the commentator said during David's ceremony speech. David apparently said he was happy to have won a tournament in front of a person named Karen who was sitting in his section. Furthermore the commentator said that was his sister, but from what I know David only has a brother. Did any of you hear it too? (I was watching the match online)

Carol96
02-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi Iram

you're right, David does only have a brother. I can't remember Javier's wife's name but I'm pretty sure that's not it, and his Mum is Pilar of course. I don't know Javi Piles's wife's name though.

Girlfriend??? I'm aware that David has one, but he never really mentions her, likes to keep his private life private it seems(and I'm cool with that - I would if I was him). The only mention I've read was in the Elle 10 photshoot article when he referred to her as a normal girl and that she was an optician.

Well if that is the case, I'm happy for them both - for her to see her guy win and for him "dragon slaying" in front of her like a knight of old!!!

alisia
02-27-2011, 09:54 AM
:aparty: for David retaining his title :aparty:

alisia
02-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Ferrer outlasts Almagro to retain title

World number six David Ferrer successfully defended his Mexican Open title with a three-set victory over fellow Spaniard Nicolas Almagro in the Acapulco final.

Top seed Ferrer, who has never lost to Almagro in six meetings, won 7-6 6-7 6-2 to capture his 11th title while ending his compatriot's 13-match winning streak.

World number 13 Almagro was chasing a record third successive title on the Latin American claycourt circuit after his victories in the Buenos Aires Open last week and the Brazil Open the week before.

Ferrer, who won the Auckland tournament last month, took the first set tiebreak 7-4. He gave himself his first set point with a neat drop shot and took it with an ace.

Almagro, the champion in Acapulco in 2008 and 2009, fought his way back into the match and needed just one set point to take the second tiebreak 7-2 with a brilliant return down Ferrer's backhand line.

Ferrer then proceeded to open an ultimately decisive 3-0 lead in the third set breaking Almagro's serve in the first and third games.

Almagro broke back in the fourth but only after Ferrer had saved four break points. Ferrer broke again to lead 4-1 and he eventually won it on his fourth championship point after two hours and 42 minutes.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27022011/58/ferrer-outlasts-almagro-retain-title.html

alisia
02-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Ferrer Clinches Back-To-Back Titles

Gritty Spaniard David Ferrer went 6-for-7 on break point opportunities against Nicolas Almagro to successfully defend the Abierto Mexicano Telcel title and deny his countryman’s quest to become the only player to win three of the four Golden Swing crowns in the one season.

Top-seeded Ferrer, who in last year’s Acapulco final also denied Juan Carlos Ferrero an elusive third title of the clay-court swing, won his 11th ATP World Tour tournament with a 7-6(4), 6-7(2), 6-2 win over Almagro, who came into the match on a 13-match winning streak.

"I didn't think I could win here twice in a row and I realise I am having the best season start of my career this year," said Ferrer. "I hope I can continue like that this season. Acapulco is a very special event for me, where I always received great support from the people and I will do everything possible to come back next year."

Almagro added, "I want to congratulate David, for everything he has done in the last weeks. He's been playing at an unbelievable level."

Former World No. 4 Ferrer collects $264,000 and 500 South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings points for his victory. Ferrer converted the first six break points he earned in the match but was a denied a perfect record when Almagro crushed an off-forehand that landed on the line to save a match point in the seventh game of the third set. In contrast, Almagro cashed in just four of 13 break chances.

"It was a very intense match with a lot of rallies in the first and second set; we played a lot of great points," reflected Ferrer. "In the third [set], I think I was better physically and he started making more mistakes. My error was that after coming back and winning the first set, I relaxed in the second and he started attacking a lot more.

Almagro, who won back-to-back Acapulco titles in 2008-09, collected the runner’s up purse of $122,000 after falling to an 0-6 career record against Ferrer.

"Today was a very tough match and too bad I couldn't take advantage of my lead in the first set," said Almagro. "I am disappointed right now that I couldn't close this first set, maybe things would have been different. It's been an unbelievable South American swing for me. I played nonstop for three weeks at a very high level and I know I need to be proud and happy about it. I now look forward to resting a few days at home before getting ready for Indian Wells and Miami."

Ferrer has started the season with 14 wins from 16 matches, a record that includes titles in Auckland and Acapulco, and a semi-final run at the Australian Open.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/02/8/Acapulco-Saturday-Ferrer-Wins-Consecutive-Titles.aspx

xohxmyx
02-27-2011, 11:45 AM
:bounce:Ferrer won a giant pear! Ferrer won a giant pear!!:bounce: Yaaay!

Im glad he could defend his title, Nico played really well but he was way to tired once it got to 3 sets.
And well Ferrer looks adorable in a sombrero so everything worked out well down mexico way ;)

cobalt60
02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
:banana: What a great start to the year. Good on him.

Edda
02-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Congratulations, Ferru!

Yes, I heard the part about the "sister," too. I know David has a brother, Javier, the same age as Juan Carlos Ferrero. I was so happy for David. He calls himself "the worst player in the top 10." I don't believe you, David! You are good. Don't forget it.

I bet he and Juanqui are going to celebrate when he gets back to Valencia! I wonder if Juan Carlos was as nervous for David as I was. Congratulations, David!

ariel2
02-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Wow. David continues to impress. He's one clutch player - his drop shots in tight moments were sublime. Served much better last night than in last two matches but still not enough to make this an easier match for him. Just thrilled that he added an 11th title. (Would like to see him amass 20+ titles before he's done.) Almagro played well but looked torched in the third set - not good to play David tired or on an empty stomach. ;)

A little surprised that the crowd was so partial to Almagro - chanting loudly for him before the start of points. I'd like to think that they simply wanted a third set and all credit to David for not letting it affect his play.

Terrific effort from both guys.

Sommarsverige
02-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I am so happy for Ferru to win the Acapulco title again :bounce: :bounce: :yippee:

What a great way for him to start the new year, unbelievable!!! :yeah:

If anyone of you finds the victory speech from Acapulco online, it would be great if you can post it here :) Would so love to listen to his speech!!! ;)

iramlatif
02-27-2011, 07:21 PM
if i find his victory speech i will definitely post it. And I'm glad that Edda heard the part about his so-called sister too. I didn't want to sound like I was making up something! That girl was sitting in his booth and they did show her throughout this tournament. I hope the rest of you will have an awesome week!

alisia
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Draw for 2012

Ferrer, David ESP vs González, Santiago MEX
Kubot, Lukasz POL vs Garza, Daniel MEX
Mayer, Leonardo ARG vs Andujar, Pablo ESP
Qualifier vs Mayer, Florian GER

Simon, Gilles FRA vs Berlocq, Carlos ARG
Qualifier vs Starace, Potito ITA
Nalbandian, David ARG vs Giraldo, Santiago COL
Bellucci, Thomaz BRA vs Granollers, Marcel ESP

Monaco, Juan ARG vs Ramos, Albert ESP
Ferrero, Juan Carlos ESP vs Wawrinka, Stanislas SUI
Chardy, Jeremy FRA vs Machado, Rui POR
Montanes, Albert ESP vs Nishikori, Kei JPN

Verdasco, Fernando ESP vs Volandri, Filippo ITA
Chela, Juan Ignacio ARG vs Ramirez, Cesar MEX
Qualifier vs Paire, Benoit FRA
Qualifier vs Almagro, Nicolas ESP

Edda
02-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Good luck, David!

tessi11
02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
c'mon David..!!! imagine earning another title one week after Buenos Aires. he deserves it so much!

alisia
02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
SCHEDULE - TUESDAY, 28 FEBRUARY, 2012

CANCHA CENTRAL start 11:00 am
[1] R Vinci (ITA) vs S Soler-Espinosa (ESP) - WTA
L Dominguez Lino (ESP) vs [7] G Dulko (ARG) - WTA
Not Before 3:00 PM
J Ferrero (ESP) vs S Wawrinka (SUI) - ATP
A Parra Santonja (ESP) vs F Pennetta (ITA) - WTA
[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs [WC] S Gonzalez (MEX) - ATP
[Q] P Riba (ESP) vs [2] N Almagro (ESP) - ATP

Edda
02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Good luck, Ferru! I hope you and Juanqui make the final in Acapulco, as you did in 2010. You are doing so well this year, David!

alisia
02-29-2012, 07:44 PM
David won his 1st match 6/1 6/2 & will next play Lukas Kubot :)

SCHEDULE - WEDNESDAY, 29 FEBRUARY, 2012

CANCHA CENTRAL start 3:00 pm
[1] R Vinci (ITA) vs S Foretz Gacon (FRA) - WTA
Not Before 5:00 PM
[8] F Verdasco (ESP) vs J Chela (ARG) - ATP
M Rybarikova (SVK) vs [WC] X Hermoso (MEX) - WTA
[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs L Kubot (POL) - ATP

Edda
03-01-2012, 12:38 AM
Congratulations, Ferru-and good luck against Kubot!

cobalt60
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
He is playing so well; nice to see!

cobalt60
03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Good luck btw!

alisia
03-01-2012, 07:18 PM
David bt Kubot 6/3 6/3 & plays Pablo Andjular next :)

SCHEDULE - THURSDAY, 1 MARCH, 2012

[8] F Verdasco (ESP) vs [2] N Almagro (ESP) - ATP
S Wawrinka (SUI) vs J Chardy (FRA) - ATP
Not Before 7:00 PM
[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs P Andujar (ESP) - ATP
C Berlocq (ARG) vs S Giraldo (COL) - ATP

CANCHA 3 start 3:00 pm
[1] F Cermak (CZE) / F Polasek (SVK) vs [Alt] J Souza (BRA) / F Volandri (ITA) - ATP
[4] D Bracciali (ITA) / J Cabal (COL) vs M Granollers (ESP) / M Lopez (ESP) - ATP
D Marrero (ESP) / F Verdasco (ESP) vs J Chardy (FRA) / G Simon (FRA) - ATP- After Suitable Rest
J Chela (ARG) / E Schwank (ARG) vs D Ferrer (ESP) / A Ramos (ESP) - ATP- After Suitable Rest

Edda
03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Good luck against Andujar, Ferru! The Battle of the Valencians! Valencia sure puts out good tennis talent. (Juanqui is from Valencia, too!)

alisia
03-02-2012, 06:48 PM
David won his 1/8 final 6/2 6/4 :)

SCHEDULE - FRIDAY, 2 MARCH, 2012

[1] R Vinci (ITA) vs [3] S Errani (ITA) - WTA
S Wawrinka (SUI) vs [8] F Verdasco (ESP) - ATP
[4] I Begu (ROU) vs [2] F Pennetta (ITA) - WTA
[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs S Giraldo (COL) - ATP

tessi11
03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
final!!!! now for fernando.. i hope he plays well- he was a bit all over the place against Giraldo, especially his serve, and Fer has been playing amazing tennis this tourn! Mucha suerte ferrrru!!

alisia
03-03-2012, 11:16 AM
David beat Giraldo 7/5 6/4 & will play Verdasco in the final :)

SCHEDULE - SATURDAY, 3 MARCH, 2012

CANCHA CENTRAL start 6:30 pm
[3] S Errani (ITA) vs [2] F Pennetta (ITA) - WTA

[1] D Ferrer (ESP) vs [8] F Verdasco (ESP) - ATP
M Granollers (ESP) / M Lopez (ESP) vs D Marrero (ESP) / F Verdasco (ESP) - ATP

cobalt60
03-03-2012, 11:24 AM
All Spaniards- amazing. GL to DF

iramlatif
03-04-2012, 04:07 AM
he won again!! :) He was so happy in the ceremony. I think it's now 18-1 match record. he is just having a beyond terrific year so far.

tessi11
03-04-2012, 08:33 AM
seeing david so happy makes me so happy!! especially at the end of match point :) well done ferru!

alisia
03-04-2012, 10:07 AM
David bt Fernando 6/1 6/2 to win his third title :worship:

Ferrer Lifts Third Successive Acapulco Title

World No. 6 David Ferrer triumphed at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel for the third straight year Saturday, dismissing countryman Fernando Verdasco 6-1, 6-2 to notch his 15th successive win in Acapulco.

The top seed entered the match 3-6 against Verdasco on clay, but took control from the beginning. He won 88 per cent of his first serve points and broke the No. 8 seed twice in each set to seal the win in 70 minutes, improving to 18-1 on the year. "I am very, very happy. I played my best match of the week tonight," stated Ferrer.

"I felt I was very solid and my game went really well. As Fernando hits so hard, I knew I had to be solid and counter him and I think I did it very well, especially at the beginning. I also know Fernando didn't play his best tennis today but that's tennis. You have good days and sometimes bad days."

Ferrer is just the second player to win three titles in a row at the ATP World Tour 500 event, joining Thomas Muster, who lifted four consecutive crowns from 1993-1996. The Spaniard, now 14-14 in title matches, is also the first three-time winner in 2012, having successfully defended his title at the Heineken Open in Auckland (d. Rochus), and winning the Copa Claro in Buenos Aires (d. Almagro) last weekend. "I am very proud to have won in Acapulco for a third consecutive time," Ferrer said.

"I don't think too far ahead and take my schedule week by week. Now I have two important tournaments coming up in Indian Wells and Miami, with a few points to defend in Miami. It will be great if I manage to do well, but if not, it is not a big deal. I will keep on working hard."

Verdasco was hoping to win his first title since capturing the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell trophy in 2010. He dropped to 5-12 final record. "I want to apologise for having played so bad. I am extremely disappointed I wasn’t able to have the fight I was expecting to have," said Verdasco. "I just couldn’t keep the ball in the court today. It's always tough to lose a final, but losing it that way hurts a lot more. I want to congratulate David and all his team because he is a wonderful champion and once again he proved it here tonight."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/02/9/Acapulco-Saturday-Ferrer-Dismisses-Verdasco-For-Third-Straight-Event-Title.aspx

Sommarsverige
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Wow, another Acapulco title for Ferru :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I am so happy for him and yet impressed that it seemed to be a pretty easy match for him!

Originally I wanted to watch the match, but I was too tired anyway!!

Good luck for the next tournaments :yeah:

cobalt60
03-04-2012, 03:30 PM
:banana:

Edda
03-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Congratulations, Ferru! A third straight Acapulco title!

Edda
03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Wow! Impressive stats for Ferru! Congratulations, David!

Chris Kuerten
02-27-2013, 12:08 PM
I love how every seed plus Nalbandian in David's half lost in the first round :lol:

Doesn't really matter, but it's good he will probably be as fresh as possible when he faces Nadal!

Edda
02-28-2013, 11:35 PM
A Ferrer-Nadal final would be great! I remember in 2010 when Ferrer and Ferrero were in the final together.

Sophitia36
03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
I have to say it, I am worried by Ferru's level of play at the moment :(

I'll stick to saying that he does not play badly all the time, but he does struggle enormously to find his rhythm. They may talk about his legendary consistency, but it is obviously not true anymore.
I mean, I don't think I am imagining this pattern: he often starts with a very average if not really below average level, often drops one set or even two, and then wakes up and starts playing great tennis.
This is going to be a big problem if he ever wants to improve his record against the Big 3 (or 4). I am a loyal fan, but I believe I am a rather realistic kind of fan, and like most people on MTF, I did feel his two defeats to Djokovic and Nadal were embarrassing.

I cannot really understand why, after bringing so many improvements to his game, he suddenly seems to be lost on the court at least once during every match (in the case of the Acapulco final, during the whole match...)
I often read that he's not serving well, that's not true... His serve was about the only thing that worked yesterday. The rest was a mess, far below his usual level.
Could that be that he's going through some kind of adjustment phase? I don't believe this is the beginning of a decline due to aging. He's fit as ever, he seems intent on taking a little more rest than usual... But he obviously has problems finding his game at the moment.

BTW he also analyzes his problems as not being able to find his rhythm: "Creo que podría haber jugado mejor pero nunca encontré mi ritmo. Uno tiene buenos y malos días. Rafa ha jugado realmente bien" (I think that I could have played better but I could never find my rhythm. You always have good days and bad days. Rafa played really well."

I really hope it is just an adjustment period and that he can solve this problem before the big clay events come :awww:

Also, I hope he can find the courage to carry on fighting (this I know he will find), but especially to believe more in himself! After 2 crushing defeats like these, he's bound to be a little bruised mentally...

VAMOS Ferru show us more of the 2012 stuff! :cheerleader:

iramlatif
03-03-2013, 12:27 PM
ouch that was a beat down from Rafa. I didn't think it would have ended the way it did for Ferru. He played very well the entire tournament and it's such a shame he had to lose out like that. But hopefully he can do well in Indian Wells and Miami. I hope all of his fans here have a nice March! ;)

iramlatif
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
ha! Sophitia36 didn't know u were online and just coincidentally we posted around the same time! Have a good day. It's very late here in Cali (5:30am)

I hated ferru losing but hopefully he'll get something good soon! :)

Sophitia36
03-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Hey Iram :D

I'm not sure he played well the entire tournament. He just did not face strong opposition. Rafa was the real test...

Chris Kuerten
03-03-2013, 03:25 PM
He will peak at the UNICEF Open, vamos!

Sophitia36
03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
He will peak at the UNICEF Open, vamos!

LOL that's not funny :D

Chris Kuerten
03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
LOL that's not funny :D:p

I honestly don't care anymore how he performs against Federer, Nadal and Djokovic, it's simply not going to happen. Hopefully he will get the miracle draw at Roland Garros with him and Murray in one half and those three in the other.