Anyone going? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Anyone going?

Jimnik
02-23-2010, 05:06 AM
Besides me?

star
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes, I think lots of MTFers are going.

I am going. I've been going since the first year the Tennis Garden opened. :)

Jimnik
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes, I think lots of MTFers are going.
Well hopefully they come out of hiding and post here. :)

Awesome, I guess you really enjoy the atmosphere of the tennis garden. This will be my first visit, can't wait.

Fee
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
You're coming all the way to California? I might have to scrounge up some pennies and come out there just to say hello to you. :)

Jimnik
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Awesome, would be good to see you.

Yea I'm driving from Kansas to LA for my spring break. Will definitely visit the tennis garden a few times.

Fee
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm closer to LA than to IW. If I can't make it out to the desert, perhaps we can do an MTF meet up day with the LA/So Cal people at Farmer's Market for lunch or something?

Jimnik
02-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Farmer's market sounds good, anytime I'm not at the tennis garden. I'll be in LA from the Monday through to Friday, most likely.

It's about a two and half hour drive from LA to IW. If anybody wants a lift, I'll be happy to help.

nizelegz
02-23-2010, 10:57 PM
We are going from 3/11 to 3/18.

Lucinda
02-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Well hopefully they come out of hiding and post here. :)

Awesome, I guess you really enjoy the atmosphere of the tennis garden. This will be my first visit, can't wait.

I'll be going for most of the second week of the tournament. I had an absolute blast my first time at Indian Wells, and this will be my third year running. Make sure you take a sweater, a good seat cushion, and bottled water.

Jimnik
02-27-2010, 12:15 AM
I'll be going for most of the second week of the tournament. I had an absolute blast my first time at Indian Wells, and this will be my third year running. Make sure you take a sweater, a good seat cushion, and bottled water.
Really? I assumed it would be boiling out there. Thanks for the warning.

I'll definitely bring lots to drink.

Lucinda
02-27-2010, 05:39 AM

If you're planning on being at the complex into the evening, then you'll definitely want a sweater. Last year I was watching the Nadal vs Nalbandian match in the stadium and it went until 1 or 2 a.m. and it gets cold in the desert as soon as the sun goes down. I suppose if you have tickets for the evening session as well as day, you can leave your stuff in the car, but then you'd have to trek out to the parking lots and back etc and that sucks (plus the sweater can double as a butt-cushion during the day). Of course, during the day you have to slather yourself with sunscreen.

smitty8
02-28-2010, 01:21 PM
I bought tickets in early September, so I am planning on going. If I had known my job situation was going to change and that my car engine would die on me a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have done it. However, I am hoping to have a good time and enjoy some sun and warmth during the day, far away from SNOW! There is still a possibility that if I can sell my tickets, I might not go, I need that money to pay for my new car and I am going to have to go part time at work and take classes in the fall. The money already spent/going to be spent could go to a better place. Stupid economy. :rolleyes:

RickDaStick
02-28-2010, 08:32 PM
ok guys i need a little help... what is the best way to get from palm springs airport to a hotel around the tennis centre? Im guessing just a taxi but perhaps there is something i dont know about... thanks.

Lucinda
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
ok guys i need a little help... what is the best way to get from palm springs airport to a hotel around the tennis centre? Im guessing just a taxi but perhaps there is something i dont know about... thanks.

What hotel/motel are you staying at? If you don't have one yet, I'd suggest calling and getting a reservation asap.

There are a bunch of cheap motels off highway 10, and it's a straight shot south down Washintgon St off highway 10 to the tennis complex. I usually stay at the Motel 6 at Washington and Highway 10, then get up and hit the Starbucks on Washington on my way to the tournament in the morning.

If you're staying at a swanky hotel, they might have a shuttle. You can find a list here:

http://www.palmspringsca.gov/index.aspx?page=287

sierra91
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm closer to LA than to IW. If I can't make it out to the desert, perhaps we can do an MTF meet up day with the LA/So Cal people at Farmer's Market for lunch or something? Hey, Fee. Text me if you make it. Would love to see you!

sierra91
03-01-2010, 09:32 PM
ok guys i need a little help... what is the best way to get from palm springs airport to a hotel around the tennis centre? Im guessing just a taxi but perhaps there is something i dont know about... thanks. I've always taken taxis. Haven't found another way to get there.

star
03-01-2010, 11:10 PM

We have really hot years and really cold years and some in between. One year the snow almost reached the valley floor and the temps went down into the 30's. brrrr. I like to bring a towel. If the seats are red hot from the sun, you can sit on it, and if it's cold you can put it around you. The desert can get cold at night and the wind can be fierce. I've frozen and I've boiled at IW. I remember one year when it was so windy and cold a woman said "Next year I'm packing like I'm going to Steamboat Springs." :lol:

If it's pleasantly warm in the day, it's chilly at night.

Taxi or a friend.

I hope you have a reservation.

MNALBANDIAN
03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
What is the cheapest best tennis ticket to get to going to Indian Wells? And how far off of a drive is it from Las Vegas?

nizelegz
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
I have a free parking pass (Lot B) for Wednesday and Thursday if anyone is interested. Please PM me.

Fee
03-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I bought tickets in early September, so I am planning on going. If I had known my job situation was going to change and that my car engine would die on me a few weeks ago, I wouldn't have done it. However, I am hoping to have a good time and enjoy some sun and warmth during the day, far away from SNOW! There is still a possibility that if I can sell my tickets, I might not go, I need that money to pay for my new car and I am going to have to go part time at work and take classes in the fall. The money already spent/going to be spent could go to a better place. Stupid economy. :rolleyes:

You're coming out here too?! What days, I would love to meet you (if I can, and if you don't sell your tickets). :)

Taxi, not sure what shuttle companies operate in Palm Springs. There might be one listed on the Palm Springs Airport website. I take it you're staying at one of the tournament hotels? They all have sponsored shuttles to and from the tennis center. (There aren't really any hotels 'around' the tennis center, they are all a few miles away).

Hey, Fee. Text me if you make it. Would love to see you!

Will do. I switched phones and might need to get your number again, but I am pretty sure I have it saved in my email somewhere. I'll let you know. Would be great to have another glass of wine together. ;)

If I make it out there this year, it might only be for one day. We'll see. I've also had some unexpected expenses come up lately. Odd that I can't go to IW now that I live an hour away, after all these years I drove 8 hours to get there. Life is funny sometimes.

And I reinforce what Star said - be prepared for all kinds of weather. I've had sunny and nice, to brutally hot, to blowing sand, to freezing cold, to 'a perfect evening' without a sweater. Put your sunscreen on BEFORE you get dressed and reapply a lot, and wear comfortable shoes. Ditto on taking a small towel too, I've used mine a lot, specially when sitting on the stone seats at the practice courts.

smitty8
03-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Going to send a PM to you Fee. I should be there all days from qualy Wed-finals Sunday. I bought the big ticket package.

Lucinda
03-03-2010, 03:49 AM
What is the cheapest best tennis ticket to get to going to Indian Wells? And how far off of a drive is it from Las Vegas?

It would depend on what type of tennis you want to see. If you want to see the big names, you'll have to get a stadium ticket, but that will allow you to hit the outside courts as well. A simple grounds pass gives you access to everything except the 6 or so matches that take place in the stadium each day. I have to say that if you're looking to see a good amount of tennis, get a grounds pass for Monday or Tuesday. You can watch good back-to-back tennis matches (3rd rd) from 11am until well into the evening on those days.

Here's the schedule for this year http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/Schedules/Match-Schedule.aspx

.-Federers_Mate-.
03-03-2010, 04:03 AM
wish i was..maybe in a couple of years :D

star
03-03-2010, 04:11 PM

It would depend on what type of tennis you want to see. If you want to see the big names, you'll have to get a stadium ticket, but that will allow you to hit the outside courts as well. A simple grounds pass gives you access to everything except the 6 or so matches that take place in the stadium each day. I have to say that if you're looking to see a good amount of tennis, get a grounds pass for Monday or Tuesday. You can watch good back-to-back tennis matches (3rd rd) from 11am until well into the evening on those days.

Here's the schedule for this year http://www.bnpparibasopen.org/Schedules/Match-Schedule.aspx

The outer courts are being played on well into the night on the weekend as well as Monday and Tuesday. The weekend is more crowded though. Court 6 is my favorite.

Also it looks like this year will be a bit chilly the first week. When it's in the 70's in the daytime, it is quite chilly once the sun goes down.

Fee
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
I am such a sucker...

It looks like I will be going on Tuesday the 9th for men's qualies (for Yani, McClune, Levy) and then again on Thursday the 11th (mostly to socialize I think). I might go again on Monday the 15th if I'm not tired of the drive by then since I'm coming home at night (eek).

RickDaStick
03-07-2010, 09:15 PM
booked a flight today. got a suprisingly good deal for airfare considering how late i was.

theMEESH
03-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Fee, you moved to soCal?

__

I've probably said this in every freaking thread i've been in... but I'm going :D

This is the ONLY vacation that I actually ever plan. Everything else is whatever to me. But I'm actually going for a week! :woohoo:

Which means... in 4 hours... I get off of work. then I'll have to get some stuff done for like an hour... and then nap for 3 hours and then!!!! BAM! Freedom from parents for a week!

mad1town
03-09-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm going Wednesday and Thursday - day sessions...might try for Saturday too, but don't have tickets. I'm looking forward to it, I've never been to IW and heard only good things. Any recommendations on night life / restaurants, etc???

Langers
03-10-2010, 12:02 AM
This tournament, perhaps above anything else, is the one I want to attend at least once in my life. :)

smitty8
03-10-2010, 12:30 PM
I doubt I'm making it today, I missed my flight this morning and won't get there until late. I hate sitting at the airport all day.

nizelegz
03-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I have an extra ticket, please let me know if you would like to have it...thanks!!

Jimnik
03-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Looks like I'll be arriving Monday. Hope to see some of you there (or in LA).

Will send PMs closer to the time.

bobrocks
03-17-2010, 06:24 AM
I went down to Palm Springs to surprise my parents who are down on vacation, and went Sunday and Monday. I bought a $35 day pass and a evening pass for court side, for Sunday's action.
It was a blast. Because the afternoon matches went so late the Federer match didn't start till almost 6:30pm. So I took my evening ticket down to the lower level and they let me walk in. It was fantastic. I was row F, just a few rows up behind the Chair Umpire. A great vantage point to watch Fed in action. Then Roddick was on afterwards. I also saw Murray and Bagdatis win and Sharapova lose during the day.
Then on Monday I saw Joko almost choke, Nadal destroy Ancic, Juan Carlos lose, Berdych kick the crap out of Verdasco and the cherry on top for me was watching my fellow Canuck Daniel Nestor and his partner take down Blake and Roddick in front of a very pro America crowd.

My first time ever at an ATP tour event.

Fantastic time. I'm definately going again next year.

Jimnik
03-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I went Monday and had a great time but I don't think I'm going again this week. With JCF out, the two and a half hour commute from LA just isn't worth it. But I really liked the place. Nice atmosphere, plenty of unreserved seating and parking was easy. Would love to visit again sometime.

Although I would say $35 for a ground pass is a little on the expensive side, at least there's plenty of space and no over-crowding, unlike the European events I've been to.