Please join my Facebook group supporting harsh penalties for animal cruelty [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Please join my Facebook group supporting harsh penalties for animal cruelty

bandtree
02-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Recently in my home of Newfoundland, Canada, there has been an epidemic of incidences where people have neglected animals, left them to die, or been otherwise viciously cruel to them. In the most recent incident, someone left two dogs tethered in his kitchen, and along with a cat, abandoned them for weeks. When they were found, one of the dogs and the cat were dead. The area where the dogs were tethered was rancid with urine and feces, and to top it all off, there was a bucket of food left in the bathroom, on the other side of the house, where of course they could not get to it.

My belief, and the belief of many who live in my area, is that the reason that we have these despicable incidents is that the punishments for such crimes amount to a slap on the wrist.

If any of my MTF friends would like to join my group, I would be eternally grateful. Some international members would definitely add clout to our cause. The link to the Facebook group is here: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=316026013755&ref=nf

Thanks so much for your support!!

bokehlicious
02-19-2010, 07:48 AM
:yeah: just joined ;)

Nikki♥
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Joined. :)

Carlita
02-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Aenea
02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
:yeah:

I'll join aswell

Henry Chinaski
02-19-2010, 11:29 AM
the judiciary of canada won't know what hit them.

they'll surely add on a year in jail or one lash of a whip for each person that joins the facebook group.

Har-Tru
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Done.

Bibberz
02-19-2010, 01:51 PM
the judiciary of canada won't know what hit them.

they'll surely add on a year in jail or one lash of a whip for each person that joins the facebook group.
:lol:

Collective
02-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Only if you promise to not rename it to some vegetarian group. Already happened to me once. Don't want to be taken for a vegetarian.

*Ljubica*
02-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Already joined before I read your post. :)

bandtree
02-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Don't worry...I'm definitely NOT a vegetarian. I just hate stupid people who don't know even the basics of how to take care of animals.

Thanks everyone who've joined so far!!

Yves.
02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Nonsense, if animals were as intelligent as humans, they would be cruel against us too ;)

Har-Tru
02-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Nonsense, if animals were as intelligent as humans, they would be cruel against us too ;)

Well, they are more intelligent than you.

*Ljubica*
02-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, they are more intelligent than you.

+ 1 :worship:

ibreak4coffee
02-19-2010, 05:38 PM
As someone with the cutest dog in the world at home, stories like this make me vomit. Definitely will support this :)

maru_angi
12-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Nathaliia
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Seingeist
12-05-2010, 02:39 AM
Canada doesn't even have the death penalty for people who serially **** and murder human beings.

I think animal neglect is the least of your problems.

Garson007
12-05-2010, 02:47 AM
Canada doesn't even have the death penalty for people who serially **** and murder human beings.
:retard:

Not joined, for a very good reason too. You can't be handing off criminal charges to what is really a minor crime of neglect. I bet dead pets is more than good enough a lesson in itself, but a little extra community service doesn't do any harm.

bandtree
12-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Not joined, for a very good reason too. You can't be handing off criminal charges to what is really a minor crime of neglect. I bet dead pets is more than good enough a lesson in itself, but a little extra community service doesn't do any harm.

I understand what you're saying here. Thankfully, our government has increased the penalties in recent months, and there hasn't been a story in the news in some time. Having said that, there are still many issues that need to be addressed both here and abroad, including overcrowding in animal shelters (directly caused by not spaying an neutering pets), throwing kittens and puppies out in the trash, ending up in landfills, and puppy mills and retail sales of animals, taking away an owner for a sad shelter animal.

All the same, I still believe that if someone were to torture an animal out of just pure cruelty, there should be a case made for sending that "person" to jail, maybe even for a short time.

I think animal neglect is the least of your problems.

Apples and oranges pal.

Nathaliia
12-05-2010, 03:09 AM
In Poland you can go to jail for being cruel to an animal.

Just like to a human, of course.

And it's good.

bandtree
12-05-2010, 03:22 AM
In Poland you can go to jail for being cruel to an animal.

Just like to a human, of course.

And it's good.

Excellent...I hope we had that here! I'm just not going to count on a miracle :rolleyes:

Seingeist
12-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Apples and oranges pal.

In a way, that's precisely my point. Cruelty to animals, while wrong, is in a different league than cruelty to human beings.

When Canada does not even appropriately punish horrible offenses against human beings, why should we be more concerned about inappropriate punishments against cruelty to animals?

In other words, I'm saying that there are bigger problems in the Canadian criminal justice system than their alleged mishandling of animal-oriented crime. If we're attempting to combat injustice in the system (through the awesome power of facebook groups, no less ;)), there are much better places to start, in my opinion.

bandtree
12-05-2010, 03:27 AM
In a way, that's precisely my point. Cruelty to animals, while wrong, is in a different league than cruelty to human beings.

When Canada does not even appropriately punish horrible offenses against human beings, why should we be more concerned about inappropriate punishments against cruelty to animals?

In other words, I'm saying that there are bigger problems in the Canadian criminal justice system than their alleged mishandling of animal-oriented crime. If we're attempting to combat injustice in the system (through the awesome power of facebook groups, no less ;)), there are much better places to start, in my opinion.

Our justice system may have problems (for the record, I don't believe a lack of capital punishment isn't one of them), but the point of my group is to draw attention to this one, particular flaw. I'm sorry you can only focus on one particular aspect of "justice"

Seingeist
12-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Our justice system may have problems (for the record, I don't believe a lack of capital punishment isn't one of them), but the point of my group is to draw attention to this one, particular flaw. I'm sorry you can only focus on one particular aspect of "justice"

It's not that I can only focus on one aspect, I just don't see the sense in attacking a much lesser problem as opposed to a much greater problem (unless the lesser had a much better chance of being resolved than the greater through the chosen method of attack; inasmuch as a facebook group is a pretty ineffectual form of "attack," you may as well go for the greater :)).

I don't think that you necessarily disagree with this principle. You did not concede (and we can set the issue of capital punishment aside here) that your justice system does have greater problems; you merely said, "[It] may have problems." It is likely that if you thought that there was a greater injustice in the Canadian penal system than its leniency with aggressors against animals, you would be posting about that issue and not this one.

"Animal rights" issues simply tend to concern me because the advocates involved are often far more concerned about animals than people, which I think is wrongheaded.

bandtree
12-05-2010, 04:04 AM
It's not that I can only focus on one aspect, I just don't see the sense in attacking a much lesser problem as opposed to a much greater problem (unless the lesser had a much better chance of being resolved than the greater through the chosen method of attack; inasmuch as a facebook group is a pretty ineffectual form of "attack," you may as well go for the greater :)).

I don't think that you necessarily disagree with this principle. You did not concede (and we can set the issue of capital punishment aside here) that your justice system does have greater problems; you merely said, "[It] may have problems." It is likely that if you thought that there was a greater injustice in the Canadian penal system than its leniency with aggressors against animals, you would be posting about that issue and not this one.

"Animal rights" issues simply tend to concern me because the advocates involved are often far more concerned about animals than people, which I think is wrongheaded.

I think I see what you're saying now. To your point "(If) you thought that there was a greater injustice in the Canadian penal system" I will say that this happens to be an issue that I am particularly passionate about. There are probably more pressing matters that must be attended to first (the ease of getting released on bail here disturbs many in my home province, including myself), but this group has proven to be one thing that helps to keep the issue of animal welfare in the public's mind. I'm not trying to be some animal saviour, but I'm just trying to do my part for an issue I care about, and to help people who are like-minded make their voices heard.

To your point "(Animal rights activists) are often far more concerned about animals than people" I would tend to disagree with this, at least where I'm from. To use myself as an example, I am fully in favour of hunting and hunter's rights. I grew up in a family of hunters, and as a result, have learned that it can be done in an as humane as possible way to prevent the suffering of the dying animal. I support the offshore seal hunt, which has been condemned by most of the world (it is in fact one of the most humane hunts there is). Some would call me a hypocrite because of this, but the difference is that what I cannot stand for, is someone who would willfully neglect to the point of death by starvation, or assault that is completely unjustified. These are the people that I cannot stand, not those who honour the animals that give their life so that we can feed our families.

Seingeist
12-05-2010, 04:20 AM
I think I see what you're saying now. To your point "(If) you thought that there was a greater injustice in the Canadian penal system" I will say that this happens to be an issue that I am particularly passionate about. There are probably more pressing matters that must be attended to first (the ease of getting released on bail here disturbs many in my home province, including myself), but this group has proven to be one thing that helps to keep the issue of animal welfare in the public's mind. I'm not trying to be some animal saviour, but I'm just trying to do my part for an issue I care about, and to help people who are like-minded make their voices heard.

To your point "(Animal rights activists) are often far more concerned about animals than people" I would tend to disagree with this, at least where I'm from. To use myself as an example, I am fully in favour of hunting and hunter's rights. I grew up in a family of hunters, and as a result, have learned that it can be done in an as humane as possible way to prevent the suffering of the dying animal. I support the offshore seal hunt, which has been condemned by most of the world (it is in fact one of the most humane hunts there is). Some would call me a hypocrite because of this, but the difference is that what I cannot stand for, is someone who would willfully neglect to the point of death by starvation, or assault that is completely unjustified. These are the people that I cannot stand, not those who honour the animals that give their life so that we can feed our families.

This is truly a breath of fresh air. I appreciate how thoughtful this response was. I think that you make your case well and the elaboration of your position on animals is extremely sensible.

I'd not have responded in the manner that I did if the average animal rights activist was more like you (seriously, many of them are loons ;)). I apologize if I caused any offense. I am sincerely impressed by the fact that you wed your deep respect for animals with a sensible understanding of their relationship to human beings. Carry on! :yeah:

Obviously, I am hesitant that prison sentences are the proper response to gratuitous animal abuse, but I do not dispute that it should be punished.

bandtree
12-05-2010, 04:29 AM
This is truly a breath of fresh air. I appreciate how thoughtful this response was. I think that you make your case well and the elaboration of your position on animals is extremely sensible.

I'd not have responded in the manner that I did if the average animal rights activist was more like you (seriously, many of them are loons ;)). I apologize if I caused any offense. I am sincerely impressed by the fact that you wed your deep respect for animals with a sensible understanding of their relationship to human beings. Carry on! :yeah:

Obviously, I am hesitant that prison sentences are the proper response to gratuitous animal abuse, but I do not dispute that it should be punished.

Not offense at all was taken. I appreciate your point of view as well, and we'll have to agree to disagree on the prison sentence issue. I hope I have opened your eyes a little as well on my standpoint, and on at least some of the animal activists out there (some are indeed completely of the tree).

You are a very eloquent and thoughtful person, and I look forward to our next debate! :wavey:

Garson007
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
All the same, I still believe that if someone were to torture an animal out of just pure cruelty, there should be a case made for sending that "person" to jail, maybe even for a short time.
Of course. Such a level of cruelty has a way of jumping over the species barrier into said person's relationship towards other humans. Sending him to prison might be a solution, but it depends on his psychological state. In fact I'd much prefer such a person to have a parole officer and scheduled mandatory psych sessions.

Seingeist. I'm sure you've had millions of people tell you why capital punishment is not a good idea, so I'm not going to repeat them, unless you want me to. The justice system should be about rehabilitation not punishment.

All human life is infinitely worth more than any other life and any any other life is infinitely more worth than no life at all.

Voo de Mar
12-05-2010, 11:37 AM
:( Joined :)

Clashcityrocker
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
me too

JolánGagó
12-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I would if I did FB :yeah:

bloody bastards.

Betty
12-05-2010, 11:58 AM
done:yeah:

«Ivan»
12-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Pfloyd
12-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Very good idea. Joined. :)

Nole fan
12-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Joined. No brainer.

ShotmaKer
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I would if I did FB :yeah:

bloody bastards.

Same here. Great initiative :yeah:

Chair Umpire
12-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Joined.

Greetings.

Nole fan
12-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I recommend joining this international organization, in my view one of the best in the world. They really do a great job with animal welfare and disaster management in poor or davastated countries. :yeah:

http://www.wspa-international.org/

Henry Chinaski
12-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I have tortured and killed one animal for each MTF'er that has signed up.

Really cute fluffy ones too.

buddyholly
12-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Sorry, but I wouldn't give my name and personal information to Facebook at any cost.