Should Vitas Geralitas be inducted into the Hall of Fame [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Should Vitas Geralitas be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Tennis Fool
09-05-2004, 04:27 PM
JMac believes that he should.

For those that remember him (or at least saw tapes) what do you think?

*Ljubica*
09-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Yes - definately - anyone who saw that wonderful Wimbledon semi-final against Borg would agree I'm sure. I was a bored, restless 6-year-old at the time, and far too young to appreciate my good seats on Centre Court :p , but I've seen the tape many times since. He was a legend.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Just for his endurance and legendary partying, he should be inducted he was # 1 in that field. Seriously he was a very good player, who unfortunately could never beat his great friend Borg.

He had plenty of flair and was very entertaining, just not as dedicated as Borg, McEnroe or Connors, for sure one of the best players never to win a Slam.

I'd vote yes.

ae wowww
09-05-2004, 04:41 PM
simple answer: [B]NO

Tennis Fool
09-05-2004, 04:46 PM
simple answer: [B]NO
And your reason?

Fee
09-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Vitas should absolutely be in the Hall of Fame. He played some great matches in his time, but he could never equal the work of his peers McEnroe, Connors and Borg. They were kind of in his way like Pete, Andre and Courier were with Todd Martin (also worthy of induction). He was one of my favorite players back then when I was a very young tennis fan and TV coverage was very sparse. I loved how quick he could be on court and his sense of humor in the middle of matches. Wasn't the most disciplined guy, but he was great friends with Borg and Mac, and just about everybody else on tour.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I have never been into all this Hall of Fame stuff? I was wondering is there a set criteria for players to reach, if they are to be indcuted?

Tennis Fool
09-05-2004, 05:03 PM
www.tennisfame.org

All of your answers and more.

PerezRoldan
09-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Thank you TF and after reading the rules from the site. I say yes to Vitas getting inducted into the Hall of Fame.

TennisLurker
09-05-2004, 05:57 PM
I think he won the australian open when no one played there in the 70's

J. Corwin
09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Usually it takes a couple slams to get inducted into the HoF, otherwise it would be based on sportsmanship or contribution to the game, etc. I haven't seen any of his matches so I can't comment on it. But if he's played classic matches, as have been said in this thread, then sure. :)